Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-22-2007, 01:53 PM   #201
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Would I purchase a PS3 just because of this? No. I don't think it's THAT good. Resistence, Oblivion (if you've never played it) and MLB are still the only three worthwhile games on the system at this point. If you are the type that can play one really good game for a few months, then it may be worth it.

Thanks for talking me down off the ledge
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:53 PM   #202
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Other than the totally incompetent AI at points as mentioned by previous posters of course. If EF27 says the AI is bad, it's got to be downright brutal.

Yeah, you know first hand right?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:12 PM   #203
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Yeah, you know first hand right?

I think most people trust EF27's opinion on this board. I certainly didn't suggest that I have ever played NHL 07. But this is way off topic, so back to MLB07 discussion.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:21 PM   #204
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Combination of blown saves (had 4-5 of those), inflated ERA (I tend to either close things out fast, or was giving up multiple runs in blown situations, think my MLB ERA that season was around 5.60) and organizational depth. Even when I got those 20 saves I was still listed as the 4th best closer in the organization, and while I never checked, I'm assuming that I was only up due to injuries, then moved around to fill holes where needed.

I was hoping to be AAA worthy the following season, but as it was, playing in AA I was able to dominate a bit more and raise my K/9 ratio enough to help fully develop my second pitch (absolutely necessary to have in AAA in this game) so it all worked out well.

That said, it was also one reason why I didn't resign with Cincy after my second contract. From what I could tell all the other guys were going to be back, so AAA was probably my ceiling for the next year or two. Whether or not it'll work out in Toronto I don't know yet (will find out tonight as I'll probably get a majority of this season played), but I had to take the chance

Temporarily setting aside Troy's later post that outlined some potential concern, I'm glad that your situation seems to make more sense.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:23 PM   #205
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz View Post
How are the load times on the PS2 this year?

I liked last year's version, but the load times were unbearable.

I'm typically doing other things while playing, so I don't notice - but in RTTS at least, it's generally in the 10-20s range (guesstimate) between an at-bat and my next appearance in the field. The transition into a game runs a little long, but out of the game is fine.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:37 PM   #206
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Other than the totally incompetent AI at points as mentioned by previous posters of course. If EF27 says the AI is bad, it's got to be downright brutal.

I'm not sure which game you are talking about. If it is MLB 2k7, I never could get past the fielding to really see the AI. If the game had autofielding, I would have given it more of a chance.

Craig, this is the first game that has made me think about wanting the PS3, but I also can't see getting it just for this one game. However, it is a first step towards me actually wanting one.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #207
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think most people trust EF27's opinion on this board. I certainly didn't suggest that I have ever played NHL 07. But this is way off topic, so back to MLB07 discussion.

They should over mine, but I love it and so do many other gamers... many have said it was their 2006 sports game of the year and I agree as far as consoles go. Oh well, it's a moot point because it's not out on the ps3 anyway.

I will say, you are really sensitive when it comes to the ps3.

back to discussing MLB.......
Old 05-22-2007, 03:02 PM   #208
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Craig, this is the first game that has made me think about wanting the PS3, but I also can't see getting it just for this one game. However, it is a first step towards me actually wanting one.

Yeah, but hearing about the lack of other games has talked me down. Really, this is the only game that I would want that I can't get for the XBOX360. Unfortunately, the 3 games I really play are NCAA, The Show and College Hoops. It's too bad that the PS3 took so long to get here, it costs as much as it does and seems to suffer when it comes to first generation software.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #209
TroyF
Coordinator

1) I don't want my "concerns" of the game to mislead anyone. I'm enjoying the game. I've probably put 12 hours into the thing already and I'm having a blast with it. I do have concerns and I don't think it's a system seller, but it is a very good effort.

2) Motorstorm didn't do anything for me. Ditto F1. Motorstorm had a better shot to impress me as I've always liked off road type games, but it didn't do anything for me. Essentially, the PS3 for me is The Show and Resistence. That's it. (I'm not into one on one fighting games at all, Virtua Fighter is a game I'll never play) And at this point, the titles for the next few months do nothing for me. That's why it was critical to me this game was as good as advertised. Without it, I own a $600 paperweight. Now, don't take my word for all of this. Go visit game rankings sites. Check out game vids of games already out. Go to some gaming sites with release dates and see if there is anything you are interested in.

For me, I don't see anything at all until Lair and after that it looks dead until the sports titles come out in July. (and to be honest, unless something changes, I'll probably buy most of my sports games on the 360 as that's where I have friends I can play games online with)

3) One really cool thing about RTTS that I haven't seen talked about yet. After playing in the spring training sites and the minor league parks, it's an incredible feeling to play in a big stadium. My first MLB game was in Jacob's Field against Mike Mussina and the Yankees. My second game was in Fenway against Beckett. I struck out my first at bat just looking at the park. When a game can give you a sence of awe like that, I'm impressed.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:07 PM   #210
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

That's the one drawback from the psp verison, there are not many minor league stadiums.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:50 PM   #211
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
That's the one drawback from the psp verison, there are not many minor league stadiums.

I'm actually Ok with it Mizzou. It makes you REALLY want to get to the bigs. It's a different experience playing in Fenway than a rinky dink park. It's the way it should be.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:35 PM   #212
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm actually Ok with it Mizzou. It makes you REALLY want to get to the bigs. It's a different experience playing in Fenway than a rinky dink park. It's the way it should be.

I agree with the latter part, I just wish all the minor league stadiums were represented.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:06 PM   #213
TroyF
Coordinator

OK, I just hit my first point of pure pissed off frustration with the game. Starting my third year, I'm now 21 and my skills are moving along. Start the year out at AAA and catch fire. 71 at bats, a .450 average and over .550 OBP. That gets me a call up on May 6. (that's right, despite that average, I'd played in only 18 of the teams 27 games to that point. I click sim to next appearence and I'm a pinch runner on May 14. My next game is against the Yankees at Jacob's again. Guess the date?

August 28. I go 0-3 with a SF and get sent back down to AAA on September 7. I have 3 games left in my minor league season now. So my 21 year old season has consisted of 74 at bats and 20 total games. (1 as a pinch runner) with no injury.

If this were to continue, I'll never bother with RTTS again unless I find a cheat code to be a full time major leaguer to start. I'm going to have to go back to an old save and hope it doesn't happen again. . . but there is no way in hell it should have ever happened. I'm beyond frustrated with the game right now.

Ugh.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:47 PM   #214
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

There is ALWAYS frustration with any game. The real question is, can I deal with them and have fun?

I have SO many frustrations with MLB 2k7, but I can overlook them becuase the game to me is so much fun.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:56 PM   #215
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
There is ALWAYS frustration with any game. The real question is, can I deal with them and have fun?

I have SO many frustrations with MLB 2k7, but I can overlook them becuase the game to me is so much fun.

I understand that, but it's frustrating to spend the amount of time it takes to play through a few seasons and watch your plyaer stay stagnent in an entirely unrealistic manner.

It's been awhile sinse I've been this frustrated with any game. It's a good game, I'll get over it. But it's a ridiculous bug.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #216
Travis
Pro Rookie

I know they're probably not superstars, but how is the organization stacked at your position Troy? I'm midway through my fourth season now and haven't been sent down from the majors despite being ranked as the second best closer under contract. Right now I'm carrying a sub 1.00 ERA and have only blown one save opportunity, so I'll definitely be sharing your frustration if I get sent down without blowing 3-4 chances in a row, and badly.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:56 PM   #217
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I know they're probably not superstars, but how is the organization stacked at your position Troy? I'm midway through my fourth season now and haven't been sent down from the majors despite being ranked as the second best closer under contract. Right now I'm carrying a sub 1.00 ERA and have only blown one save opportunity, so I'll definitely be sharing your frustration if I get sent down without blowing 3-4 chances in a row, and badly.

I'm ranked third in the organization for LF. It's not that I was sent down that pisses me off. I actually finished off the season for kicks. I finished the year progression with a -8 points. If I didn't go back to a previous save, not only is it a year wasted, it's TWO years wasted because I'd have to hit like crazy just to get me back up where I was at the start of the next season.

That's insanity and it's a horrific design decision. You have to make sure the guy from the RTTS is playing everyday until he turns 23 or 24. I'm just stunned at how the designers could allow something like that to happen. I hit 450 in 71 at bats and my punishment is I lose a year's worth of work. Unbelievable.

I'm just going to have to save after every week until I get to The Show on a permanent basis. If I'm forced to go through this again the RTTS mode will be shut off for good on my console. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:00 PM   #218
Travis
Pro Rookie

Just had an interesting first, in to save a game, fastball for a ball, then a hook and I've got the batter completely fooled. Horrible looking swing and I'm already planning my next pitch. Then a cut to the batter letting his bat drop to the ground and clutching his chest, and is then removed from the game apparently injuring himself on the swing. Not sure if anybody else has seen that or if that's been in games past, but it's the first time I've come across that one.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:05 AM   #219
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I will say, you are really sensitive when it comes to the ps3.

back to discussing MLB.......

No, it has nothing to do with the system. I just chuckle when you constantly hype games on this board that end up being average at best. 2K7, NHL 07 and Madden 07 are just three examples.

Some links where people said that NHL 07 was the game of the year would also be appreciated. Hadn't seen that yet.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:26 AM   #220
Travis
Pro Rookie

Defining moment of an early career. Spent my entire fourth season with the Jays, blowing just two saves (and making the AL All Star Team). First blown save still ended up as a win for the team, but the second one was a brutal outting against the Yankees with A-Rod hitting a 3 run walk off job.

Next appearance two days later, against the Yankee's with a 1 run lead and a runner on second. Struck out Abreu, Jeter and A-Rod in order to really seize the closers job and didn't blow a save the rest of the season.

Unfortunately, 51 saves doesn't mean much when your team only wins 86 games on the season, so fingers crossed that we can actually compete in the next few seasons. What a difference having a third major league pitch makes though.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #221
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I just bought the game yesterday for the PS2. I'm in my first season and having a lot of fun as a Cardinals CF, even though I'm not very good. I seem to be hitting the ball reasonably hard, but it generally seems to be right at someone. I'm batting just under .200 after about 20 games.

Sadly I had to start a second RTTS game since I wasn't informed at the beginning that I didn't have enough room for a save on my memory card, and there is no way to delete anything off the card while in the game. I'm also disappointed that it can't save anything to the hard drive.

Lots of fun so far though.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:39 AM   #222
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I'm also disappointed that it can't save anything to the hard drive.

When did they start putting hard drives in PS2's????
Old 05-23-2007, 10:41 AM   #223
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, it has nothing to do with the system. I just chuckle when you constantly hype games on this board that end up being average at best. 2K7, NHL 07 and Madden 07 are just three examples.

Some links where people said that NHL 07 was the game of the year would also be appreciated. Hadn't seen that yet.

I chuckle at your constant threads on ps3 greatness and xbox 360 negativity.

Go over to www.digitalsportspage.com and check out some of the praises of NHL 07.

To be honest, I don't give a rats ass what you think about it. I've hyped some games at first, only to be let down after weeks of playing, so what? Unlike you, I find out for myself most of the time.

With console games, it takes awhile to find out if it has longevity or not. Initial impressions are usually favorable, what can I say?

Most people like The Show, but read the reviews and you'll see most are lower than MLB 2k7 - so does that mean you didn't want to pick it up?

Get over yourself.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:44 AM   #224
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I chuckle at your constant threads on ps3 greatness and xbox 360 negativity.

Go over to www.digitalsportspage.com and check out some of the praises of NHL 07.

I've consistantly said that if you're buying a console solely for games right now (no HD media uses), that the Xbox 360 is the system you should buy. I guess I'm not very good at being negative towards the system.

I'll check that site later for the articles about NHL 07.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #225
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've consistantly said that if you're buying a console solely for games right now (no HD media uses), that the Xbox 360 is the system you should buy. I guess I'm not very good at being negative towards the system.

I'll check that site later for the articles about NHL 07.

I'm done being bitchy.. to each his own. Have fun with whatever you play, that's what it's all about.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:59 PM   #226
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
When did they start putting hard drives in PS2's????

I think I got mine with FF11. Around that time many games would use the HD, but they certainly didn't require it. Recent games won't even offer to save anything to the HD. Disappointing really.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:15 PM   #227
Icy
Pro Starter

Here are three awesome guides for the game, pretty deep and tons of info in them.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/game/937279.html

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:32 PM   #228
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I think I got mine with FF11. Around that time many games would use the HD, but they certainly didn't require it. Recent games won't even offer to save anything to the HD. Disappointing really.

Ah, think I do remember that now that you mention it. One of those peripherals that just never was utilized.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:44 AM   #229
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Over at digitalsportspage.com a user is selling his ps3 that he bought a week or two ago along with MLB The Show for $550.

Just an FYI to those of you who are looking/thinking about a ps3.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:24 PM   #230
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Over at digitalsportspage.com a user is selling his ps3 that he bought a week or two ago along with MLB The Show for $550.

Just an FYI to those of you who are looking/thinking about a ps3.

Pretty nice. PS3 for under $500.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:18 PM   #231
Logan
Head Coach

First of all, thanks to MizzouRah for parting with his PSP and this game. I've been having a blast. Until tonight...

Quote:
It's typical of my frustration with this mode. You get called up and demoted for random reasons. I'm hitting .365 and slugging close to .700 in AAA. I'm playing about 4 games a week in some bizzare random platoon that has no rhyme or reason. I start against both lefties and righties. Sometimes I play three days in a row, other times I play every other day for a week.

I'm listed as the starting LF for the team, yet I'm playing in just over 60% of the games. The previous year I was average at AAA, got domoted to AA and got hot as could be, moved back up to AAA and ketp hitting well, moved to The Show and did ok (.270 avg, .380 OBP) and was demoted back to AA after two weeks.

Ummm, WTF?

Despite all of that, I really love the game. It's an incredible effort.

Okay, so I started my career as an 18 year old closer in the Marlins organization. Figured it was a good situation with what they had at the position, plus it would be fun to play against the NL East (I'm a Met fan).

After a great Spring Training, I got placed in AAA and was the Isotopes' closer. Cool. I dominated throughout the first month of the season, picking up 8 saves (didn't blow any) while posting a 1.13 ERA. Got called up to the big club on May 2nd, and went right into the closer's role, where I stayed for the rest of the year. My numbers: appeared in 39 games, 2.41 ERA, 28 saves, 1 blown, 37.1 IP. Excellent start to my career.

In 2008, it was more of the same. I made the All Star team, and had a 1.60 ERA with 28 saves (2 blown). Not bad for a 19 year old right?

Apparently, not good enough. I was demoted in late August. Okay, maybe there could be a reason for it...not sure what it would be, but maybe they wanted me to work on not letting inherited runners to score or something. So I pitched in 1 AAA game...and then was demoted to AA. I simmed through the rest of the season...and then Florida released me. A 19 year old 101 MPH throwing closer, 4 months after being named an All Star. Oh, and then Florida was one of the teams who offered me a contract the next season.

Luckily I had saved my game about a week before I was sent down, so I'm going to reboot and see if it happens again. If it does, there's gonna be a problem...
Old 06-01-2007, 09:15 AM   #232
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
First of all, thanks to MizzouRah for parting with his PSP and this game. I've been having a blast. Until tonight...

Okay, so I started my career as an 18 year old closer in the Marlins organization. Figured it was a good situation with what they had at the position, plus it would be fun to play against the NL East (I'm a Met fan).

After a great Spring Training, I got placed in AAA and was the Isotopes' closer. Cool. I dominated throughout the first month of the season, picking up 8 saves (didn't blow any) while posting a 1.13 ERA. Got called up to the big club on May 2nd, and went right into the closer's role, where I stayed for the rest of the year. My numbers: appeared in 39 games, 2.41 ERA, 28 saves, 1 blown, 37.1 IP. Excellent start to my career.

In 2008, it was more of the same. I made the All Star team, and had a 1.60 ERA with 28 saves (2 blown). Not bad for a 19 year old right?

Apparently, not good enough. I was demoted in late August. Okay, maybe there could be a reason for it...not sure what it would be, but maybe they wanted me to work on not letting inherited runners to score or something. So I pitched in 1 AAA game...and then was demoted to AA. I simmed through the rest of the season...and then Florida released me. A 19 year old 101 MPH throwing closer, 4 months after being named an All Star. Oh, and then Florida was one of the teams who offered me a contract the next season.

Luckily I had saved my game about a week before I was sent down, so I'm going to reboot and see if it happens again. If it does, there's gonna be a problem...

I could be completely wrong, but I think you're doing too well, too soon. I started my career(s) on All Star and it took me a few seasons as a pitcher to start making progress - as upgrades were few and far between.

Not sure if that's your issue... just a thought. (I also always used the new RTTS option)

Either way, it seems like a potential issue.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 06-01-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #233
Logan
Head Coach

Well I am playing on pro, so that's probably why I'm doing so well. I figured a quick career as a closer (50 appearances a season) was a good way to learn about the game before trying a career as an everyday player.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:06 PM   #234
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
and then Florida released me. A 19 year old 101 MPH throwing closer, 4 months after being named an All Star. Oh, and then Florida was one of the teams who offered me a contract the next season.

I'm still new to The Show, but I think the "release" was just because your contract ran out. Probably not the best wording, but not as bad as it sounds.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:20 PM   #235
TroyF
Coordinator

My level of frustration with the game is growing by the second.

As a 21 year old power hitter, I put up these numbers:

.338, .414, .710 28 doubles, 51 HR, 142 RBI, 108 runs scored. I was named MVP of the league, MVP of the ALCS. I was the cleanup hitting on a team that led the league in runs.

I'm due for a new contract. I get an offer of 1,7 per year for 8 years. I get three other offers of 1.5 or under per year for 7 years. I go ahead and sign the 1.7 million dollar offer after negotiating it down to 2 years. (it ends up being about a million a year) I start the following season in AAA. You read that right. AAA.

Lets look at some other things that happened during the season. In 503 at bats I had to swing at a pitch other than a fastball less than 20 times. I'm at default all star difficulty. Screw the location bonus, just key on fastball, wait and pound.

I could tweak the settings, but after getting sent back to AAA after winning a league MVP, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

I'll spend some more time in franchise mode, but the enjoyment I had for the game at the start has waned considerably.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:45 PM   #236
Logan
Head Coach

I've also seen some AI issues, which is pretty concerning for how little I've actually played out games. A long time ago, I stopped counting how many pitchers I've had to pitch to in the 9th inning when I'm brought in for a save. If I had to ballpark, I'd say that in my 100 or so appearances, a relief pitcher had batted 10 or 15 times. When you figure out the amount of times that the 9th spot in the order would even come up during 100 outings, that's a very high number.

Also, I'm not sure ERA is being calculated correctly all the time. I've seen a couple times where I left a game having given up a run and it says my ERA was 0.00. Thinking that maybe there was an error I didn't notice, I started paying more attention...and found times where I was given a 0.00 ERA after giving up solo homers.

You guys probably read more about this stuff...has this been brought up before?
Old 06-01-2007, 02:52 PM   #237
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I have seen a couple of odd stat calculations. On opening day a batter came to the plate who was 0-for-1 for the game with a 1.000 batting average. In the first playoff game someone came to the plate with a 2.000 batting average. Seems fairly minor, but a little odd.

I'm still loving RTTS, but I'm a AAA-level CF who is still playing in AAA, so I haven't seen anything too crazy.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:52 PM   #238
TroyF
Coordinator

My review of the game will be finished tonight or tomorrow. Had I reviewd the game last week, I'd have given it a 9. Now the rating is sliding fast.

I've seen some scoring issues (like a fly ball to RF sending the runner fron second to third being registered a SF) But none of those are enough to really kill the game. The ridiculous promotion/demotion standard in RTTS has soured me on that mode for good. As has the horrible pitching model. There is no way I should be getting a fastball in the zone every at bat to hit. Pitchers should figure that out and punish me for looking only at fastballs. Instead they keep feeding em in there. Even guys like Santana.

It just shouldn't happen.

I'l come back to the game again at some point, it's fun to play. But for now I'm going to work on Forza 2 for awhile and Mass Effect is due out soon. That could spell the end for MLB: The Show.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:18 PM   #239
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

I'm having fun with the game. I don't play RTTS I only play single season with my Cubs. I've seen the sac-fly for runners advancing from second to third but like you say not a game-breaker for a console game.

I'm playing on Hall of Fame level using sliders by nemesis (sp) after reading his posts at operation sports. He does have his sliders on The Show's site for d'load, nice feature. Right now I'm something like 10-15 and getting a very good
variety in my games. The game is generating believable stats, IE nobody is hitting .600. But guys that are good hitters are around .300 while the pitchers and utility players struggle at the plate. I can certainly tell the difference when Zambrano pitches compared to the rest of my starters. Never played out a full 162 game schedule on a console but might make it this year with The Show on the ps3.

I understand the disappointment you guys are having with RTTS. But since I am not interested in that I am still rating this game very high for fun and acceptable stats.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:22 PM   #240
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

But for now I'm going to work on Forza 2 for awhile

I plan on buying Forza2 for the 360 also. Never heard of the game until I read about it here and being a ps2 guy was always sold on GT. But I d'loaded the demo the other day and all I can say is wow.

Plus since the 360 and ps3 are hooked to different tv's I'll have something to do if my son is hogging The Show
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #241
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
I've seen some scoring issues (like a fly ball to RF sending the runner fron second to third being registered a SF) But none of those are enough to really kill the game. The ridiculous promotion/demotion standard in RTTS has soured me on that mode for good. As has the horrible pitching model. There is no way I should be getting a fastball in the zone every at bat to hit. Pitchers should figure that out and punish me for looking only at fastballs. Instead they keep feeding em in there. Even guys like Santana.

(PS2) What level are you playing at? I moved from Veteran to (err... one above Veteran) recently, and noticed that I started getting less fastballs in the zone. I can still generally count on a couple fastballs for strikes if I'm patient, but I'm getting less than on the earlier levels. Perhaps it varies as you get higher?
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:15 PM   #242
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'l come back to the game again at some point, it's fun to play. But for now I'm going to work on Forza 2 for awhile and Mass Effect is due out soon. That could spell the end for MLB: The Show.

All signs point to Mass Effect being delayed until September. Considering that Bioware did the same sort of delays for final polishing to KOTOR and Obsidian wasn't able to do that with KOTOR 2, I think the delays are a good thing. The screen shots that have already been released look phenomenal, and I think that in combination with the story and gameplay could be a real system mover for the 360 this holiday system.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:21 PM   #243
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
All signs point to Mass Effect being delayed until September. Considering that Bioware did the same sort of delays for final polishing to KOTOR and Obsidian wasn't able to do that with KOTOR 2, I think the delays are a good thing. The screen shots that have already been released look phenomenal, and I think that in combination with the story and gameplay could be a real system mover for the 360 this holiday system.

Not shocking. Maybe that'll give MLB some more play. I dunno. Right now I'm busy with Forza.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #244
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
(PS2) What level are you playing at? I moved from Veteran to (err... one above Veteran) recently, and noticed that I started getting less fastballs in the zone. I can still generally count on a couple fastballs for strikes if I'm patient, but I'm getting less than on the earlier levels. Perhaps it varies as you get higher?

All-Star. Again, I could try to tweak the sliders or move up to hall of fame, but on the second highest difficulty, it shouldn't be that difficult for the AI to figure out what is going on.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:24 PM   #245
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
I plan on buying Forza2 for the 360 also. Never heard of the game until I read about it here and being a ps2 guy was always sold on GT. But I d'loaded the demo the other day and all I can say is wow.

Plus since the 360 and ps3 are hooked to different tv's I'll have something to do if my son is hogging The Show

forza is a terrific game. I've always liked it better than the GT series. That said, I really wish I felt the "speed" of the cars more in this game. I don't mean arcasish, I'd just like a little more sensation of speed. Still, I'm having a blast with the game and am just starting to get into some of the better cars now. (level 11 now)

It's going to eat up a lot of my time the next few weeks.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #246
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
forza is a terrific game. I've always liked it better than the GT series. That said, I really wish I felt the "speed" of the cars more in this game. I don't mean arcasish, I'd just like a little more sensation of speed. Still, I'm having a blast with the game and am just starting to get into some of the better cars now. (level 11 now)

It's going to eat up a lot of my time the next few weeks.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it. I'm waiting until after my boards on Tuesday to pick it up as I'm in crunch time of studying. Sounds like it will be a nice reward.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #247
Terps
College Prospect

I have API turned off and that seems to cure the issue with fastballs being thrown all the time. It seems like the catcher calls for the best pitch most of the time, and for most pitchers it happens to be the fastball. Not to mention it makes it harder for yourself to pitch because you have to rely on your own judgement.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:19 AM   #248
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps View Post
I have API turned off and that seems to cure the issue with fastballs being thrown all the time. It seems like the catcher calls for the best pitch most of the time, and for most pitchers it happens to be the fastball. Not to mention it makes it harder for yourself to pitch because you have to rely on your own judgement.

Yes that is the key, TroyF, set API to Off and you will stop to see all those fastballs thrown to the strike zone. I'm also using nemesis sliders with API off and i'm seeing lots of variety.

About the RTTS problem, for what i read here and at OPS, it seems that the AI GM pays more attention to your overall ratings than to your stats when deciding on which you should be playing, that is why if because the level you play in, or because you are so good playing, if you put too good stats that are not matching your overall level, you get promoted and demoted a lot. If your ratings progress in pace with your stats, you won't see that weird issues, it's a matter of finding the right sliders/level. I prefer to struggle in my first years as a young players do, if you are the mlb king in your second season, those weird issues will happen.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:32 AM   #249
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Yes that is the key, TroyF, set API to Off and you will stop to see all those fastballs thrown to the strike zone. I'm also using nemesis sliders with API off and i'm seeing lots of variety.

About the RTTS problem, for what i read here and at OPS, it seems that the AI GM pays more attention to your overall ratings than to your stats when deciding on which you should be playing, that is why if because the level you play in, or because you are so good playing, if you put too good stats that are not matching your overall level, you get promoted and demoted a lot. If your ratings progress in pace with your stats, you won't see that weird issues, it's a matter of finding the right sliders/level. I prefer to struggle in my first years as a young players do, if you are the mlb king in your second season, those weird issues will happen.

To me that's an inherent flaw with the game. Lets say for the sake of arguement I find the PERFECT slider set. It fits my level to a T. But, I go through a hot stretch. As happens in baseball sometimes, all my bloop hits fall, and I hit .330 over a month and a half. That's the worst thing that can happen for my development. Now I'm screwed. My year is now wasted. Same thing if it goes the other way. I have a sluggish start I could end up as a utility man in AA getting 200 at bats on the year and screwing my development.

The game needs to be smart enough to combine your ratings and your statistics. Why do I want to invest 5 or 6 hours to not do my best, but to try like hell and get the stats the GAME wants me to have so I can develop on the curve the GAME wants me to develop on? I'm sorry, that's a fatal flaw for RTTS for me.

I'll try the pitch thing and see what happens. Maybe it'll be good for a franchise mode. We'll see.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #250
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
To me that's an inherent flaw with the game. Lets say for the sake of arguement I find the PERFECT slider set. It fits my level to a T. But, I go through a hot stretch. As happens in baseball sometimes, all my bloop hits fall, and I hit .330 over a month and a half. That's the worst thing that can happen for my development. Now I'm screwed. My year is now wasted. Same thing if it goes the other way. I have a sluggish start I could end up as a utility man in AA getting 200 at bats on the year and screwing my development.

The game needs to be smart enough to combine your ratings and your statistics. Why do I want to invest 5 or 6 hours to not do my best, but to try like hell and get the stats the GAME wants me to have so I can develop on the curve the GAME wants me to develop on? I'm sorry, that's a fatal flaw for RTTS for me.

I'll try the pitch thing and see what happens. Maybe it'll be good for a franchise mode. We'll see.

Agree with you about it being a flaw, i was not defending it but explaining how i think it works. It should have in account both stats, performances and ratings but it seems it's not.