Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-18-2004, 05:13 PM   #201
Vince
Pro Starter

Yeah, how stupid was that last play? Sure, they didn't have much of a shot, but still...
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:13 PM   #202
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Actually i don't post here much because i'm not much of a forum poster. But whatever.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:14 PM   #203
pjstp20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
Back to the bowl baby.

I leave all the haters to argue over excuses. Deja Vu all over again.

Im not gonna lie, I am a hater, now I at least have someone to root against in the Super Bowl. It doesnt look promising though. No doubt the Pats outplayed the Colts. It shouldnt have even come down to that, but with the Patriots it always does for some reason.
pjstp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:15 PM   #204
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Usually Brady is the guy that gets it done, thats why i would pick him over Manning(still love Manning though). The defense just played better than i could of possibly hoped today.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:17 PM   #205
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Im not rooting for anyone but I hate to see the refs and reviews ruin the game. I lost interest in the NFL when the replay was brought in.

Video replay is better than not having it. At least some of those senile old farts can get corrected every now and then.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:18 PM   #206
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
That's one thing I wasn't sure on. Both routes looked short and I wasn't totally sure if they were within 5 yards of the LOS. BUT, that's not holding. You want to scream up and down that it was illegal contact, they I won't say you're wrong because I don't know for sure. But I did not see anying holding on either play.

He held Pollards arm on the last play. Pollard did all he could to fight to get it free.

Oh for the record, I'm NOT a Patriots hater. I'm not even sure why ANYONE would be a Patriots hater. They play football the right way. They have a great story at QB, some great coaches, and a ton of likeable guys. (if you don't like Troy Brown and Tom Brady, I don't know how you can cheer for anyone)

That doesn't mean they deserved to get those calls at the end of the game. That was simply horrible officiating. If that type of thing went on all game, it's a disgrace to the game itself. This reminds me of the NBA. Like the Lakers in most situations, the Patriots were 95% surely going to win this game regardless of how those calls came out. That does not mean it isn't a disgrace that they happened in their favor.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:18 PM   #207
Easy Mac

Put Brady up against hat D and see what happenes.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:20 PM   #208
sabotai
General Manager

I just saw a "Patriots fans, your team just won the..."

Wouldn't it be funny if they accidently played the "Colts fans, your team just won..." commercial they had created in case they won?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:20 PM   #209
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Why cant refs get it right? It goes both ways though.

I saw the Patriots' offensive line holding on at least 15 plays, and those are just the ones that showed up on TV. They also got away with at least a couple (rather obvious) defensive interference calls. I saw the Colts get away with one delay of game, but otherwise it seemed like they were being called pretty tightly. Given the incompetence that I did notice, I bet the Colts got away with a few more things, but they probably were not as relevant to the outcome of the game.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:21 PM   #210
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

The Patriots won, the Colts Lost. There were several questionable calls throughout the game, all of which went in favor of the Pats.

Ok, it's over. Let it go. Relax. Fill a bowl up with chili cheese dip, get a bag of Tostitos, and enjoy the Carolina / Philadelphia game.

You know there are probably a lot of Pizza joints around that are offering specials for today too...hmmmm

*edit* Both the Eagles and the Panthers have great defenses. No matter who wins the NFC Championship the Super Bowl should be a great game.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 01-18-2004 at 05:22 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:21 PM   #211
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Put Brady up against hat D and see what happenes.

Supposing Brady had the right offensive scheme around him (with Weiss calling the plays), he'd do some damage. Brady is a great QB. He makes plays when he needs to make plays. It's why he won a Super Bowl and will likely take home another.

He, not Chad Pennington, is the closest thing the NFL has to Joe Montana right now.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:22 PM   #212
pjstp20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
He held Pollards arm on the last play. Pollard did all he could to fight to get it free.

Oh for the record, I'm NOT a Patriots hater. I'm not even sure why ANYONE would be a Patriots hater. They play football the right way. They have a great story at QB, some great coaches, and a ton of likeable guys. (if you don't like Troy Brown and Tom Brady, I don't know how you can cheer for anyone)

That doesn't mean they deserved to get those calls at the end of the game. That was simply horrible officiating. If that type of thing went on all game, it's a disgrace to the game itself. This reminds me of the NBA. Like the Lakers in most situations, the Patriots were 95% surely going to win this game regardless of how those calls came out. That does not mean it isn't a disgrace that they happened in their favor.

I can tell you how. Be a Dolphin fan, watch youre team be competitive for 10 plus years and Not even sniff a Super Bowl. Then watch the Pats go to the Super Bowl every time they have a decent team, and look like crap every year they dont.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:22 PM   #213
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Impressive performance by the Pats.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:23 PM   #214
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Like the Lakers in most situations, the Patriots were 95% surely going to win this game regardless of how those calls came out. That does not mean it isn't a disgrace that they happened in their favor.

Yeah, I am no Colts' fan, but the bias began to seem rather obvious early in the game. I watched the whole thing from start to finish. If Manning doesn't make some crucial errors, they keep the refs from deciding the outcome later in the game, though.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:23 PM   #215
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Bah! Manning (Peyton) just didnt have any help at all .
Old 01-18-2004, 05:24 PM   #216
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Watching the Patriots play makes me want to puke. Forget that they seem to be getting all the breaks -- breaks will even out in the long run, in theory.

I could live with a team like the Patriots getting all the breaks, except for they way they play. They are running the neutral zone trap of the NFL. They push, claw, hold and interfere in the gray area of the NFL rule book. The human reality of officiating is that if you cheat a little on every play, the officials won't call it until it's blatant. Since the Patriots commit contact on every passing play, officials won't call it on every play. They are only going to call it when the contact is blatant and you see a jersey grabbed, an arm pulled or a takedown. I don't blame the Patriots -- I blame the NFL for letting it happen and having their audience bored to death.

That style of play allows them to escape from their bizarre decisions, like passing repeatedly when trying to run out the clock or running Brady on one of the worst running play call of all time. You are less than two minutes from the Super Bowl and trying to run out the clock and you run your quarterback out naked to get his ass kicked? Dumb.

And this coming from someone who wanted to see the Colts pounded as punishment for beating the Chiefs last week.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:24 PM   #217
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjstp20
I can tell you how. Be a Dolphin fan, watch youre team be competitive for 10 plus years and Not even sniff a Super Bowl. Then watch the Pats go to the Super Bowl every time they have a decent team, and look like crap every year they dont.

Don't get me started.....
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:24 PM   #218
Easy Mac

Quote:
Supposing Brady had the right offensive scheme around him (with Weiss calling the plays), he'd do some damage. Brady is a great QB. He makes plays when he needs to make plays. It's why he won a Super Bowl and will likely take home another.

He, not Chad Pennington, is the closest thing the NFL has to Joe Montana right now.

Thats just it. Everyone is saying Manning is overrated because of this game against a damn good D. Give BRady everything the same as it was for Manning, and I think the game would end about the same or probably worse.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:25 PM   #219
pjstp20
High School Varsity

Well at least the Pats dont get to play on a sloppy field in adverse conditions in the Super Bowl. Dont know if thats gonna help the NFC winner though
Old 01-18-2004, 05:27 PM   #220
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

pjstp20 is just trying his hardest to pry his foot from his mouth after spending a full thread saying why the Patriots would not make the Super Bowl a few weeks ago(and how Miami is a better team).

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-18-2004 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:28 PM   #221
pjstp20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
pjstp20 is just trying his hardest to pry his foot from his mouth after spending a full thread saying why the Patriots would not make the Super Bowl a few weeks ago.
HaHaHa, yeah foot tastes like shit. That being said, nobody has been able to stop this dump and dunk offense like the Dolphins have.

Last edited by pjstp20 : 01-18-2004 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:29 PM   #222
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Im not getting what youre saying here

Yeah, when I went back I realized I had jumped the gun with a rant and deleted it.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:29 PM   #223
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Not a great win.

Weis nearly Mike Martzed himself into danger with that STUPID naked bootleg by Brady.

If we're like that in the Red Zone in two weeks, we're not going to win it.

pjstp: You try keeping a field on days where you get -20 F, and then snow, and other stuff. Both teams had to play on the same field.

With regards to the two pass plays, I'm kinda in the same boat. If you called the little stuff like the first play, then there would be a flag after each and every play.

The 2nd one, IIRC, the guy managed to push off, come back toward Manning, watch the pass go over his head and then call for interference. Bushwa.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 01-18-2004 at 05:39 PM. Reason: (edit: removed stray < that was causing the rest of my message to be hidden)
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:30 PM   #224
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Hornsmaniac
Old 01-18-2004, 05:31 PM   #225
McSweeny
College Starter

woot! woot! back to the Super Bowl! Ha! Man did we smack Manning around. Confused the hell out of him. So much for being perfect eh Manning? Ty Law had more catches than Harrison! Bring on the NFC!
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:32 PM   #226
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Weis nearly Mike Martzed himself into danger with that STUPID naked bootleg by Brady.

No kidding, i nearly jumped through my screen on that call. Red zone was atrocious as well, never should of been that close.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:33 PM   #227
pjstp20
High School Varsity

Sir Fozzie, Im not ripping the grounds crew, they kept the field well. Im just saying that the Pats play well on a sloppy field in bad conditions, and they wont have this advantage in the Super Bowl
Old 01-18-2004, 05:34 PM   #228
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
With regards to the two pass plays, I'm kinda in the same boat. If you called the little stuff like the first play, then there would be a flag after each and every play.

There were holding calls that went uncalled by the Patriots' offensive line the entire game. I'm not talking about the kind that are never called in any game. I am talking about ones that almost always generate a flag. More than several times I saw a Colts' defensive lineman get around one of the guards and he was still being held. That almost always gets a flag, but it did not seem to generate them today. I don't care if the Patriots win the Super Bowl or not, but I hope the officiating is much more balanced and accurate for that game than it was today.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:35 PM   #229
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well, that was roundly disappointing.

Let's see here ... do I pull for Philly to win the NFC so I can at least have the Patriots to root for against 'em?

Or do I hope Carolina puts Philly away & leave myself with two SB teams that I have zero interest in?

Decisions, decisions.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:36 PM   #230
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That's the thing. If it worked, Weis loooks like a genius. If it doesn't work, well, you've made life a bit more difficult for Vinatieri. BUT.. if you fumble.. and QB's running are prone to this... then you got issues. You risk losing a chance at points.

Risky and not needed at that point. The play actually cost us time. If there was a normal play or even a kneel down, you have 40 seconds of running time before you have to snap the ball. Since there was a review, all we got was the 25 second clock since the ball was already placed.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:38 PM   #231
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
There were holding calls that went uncalled by the Patriots' offensive line the entire game. I'm not talking about the kind that are never called in any game. I am talking about ones that almost always generate a flag. More than several times I saw a Colts' defensive lineman get around one of the guards and he was still being held. That almost always gets a flag, but it did not seem to generate them today. I don't care if the Patriots win the Super Bowl or not, but I hope the officiating is much more balanced and accurate for that game than it was today.

Colts were doing it on James's runs too. Apparently the refs were "letting them play"
Old 01-18-2004, 05:38 PM   #232
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

deleted cause i misread fozzies post

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-18-2004 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:48 PM   #233
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Here is how the 4th down play went down.

Pollard pushes his defender off. The defender pushes back. Pollard goes past five yards and beats his defender. Manning sees this and throws the ball. The defender reaches out for Pollard and holds him which means he cant get to the ball. Pollard pushes back in frustration.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:57 PM   #234
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Colts were doing it on James's runs too. Apparently the refs were "letting them play"

I think you only "let them play" when it is to both teams advantage.

In this case, I think there is ZERO doubt that "letting them play" was a HUGE advantage to the Patriots. The lack of holding calls prevented any chance the Colts could slow down the Patriot offense without getting help.

Home field advantage is nice and it should get you a questionable call or two. It shouldn't get you every single one throughout the game. I'm sorry, it isn't right.

If this were the Yankees getting those calls (and to be fair, they have gotten them), you'd be punching walls and kicking the dog. The officiating was clearly one sided in that game. Remember, this is coming from someone who said the Pats deserved to win the game (actually quite a few people who don't care either way), not some die hard Colts fans crying about a few calls.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:00 PM   #235
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Well at least the Pats dont get to play on a sloppy field in adverse conditions in the Super Bowl. Dont know if thats gonna help the NFC winner though

We get two championship games in northern cities where there's cold weather that's perfect for football, and then the Super Bowl is held in Houston. Talk about a let down, we need a Super Bowl in a cold weather city.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 06:03 PM   #236
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney
We get two championship games in northern cities where there's cold weather that's perfect for football, and then the Super Bowl is held in Houston. Talk about a let down, we need a Super Bowl in a cold weather city.

Not if you are trying to smooze your big money clients. And we know that who the Super Bowl is for
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 06:04 PM   #237
Desnudo
Coordinator

Questinable calls like letting Manning run 5 seconds over the play clock? Even in slo-mo it took 2-3 seconds. I saw plenty of holding on the Colts O-line too. No one notes it because the Patriots are up all day. The Colts didn't lose because of bad officiating. No team is going to win if they lose the turnover battle as badly as the Colts did. That's always the prime indicator, and it was again today. As for the refs, they let them play today. No calls on either side except for a few false starts. You telling me the Colts played a perfectly clean, sporting, game?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 06:31 PM   #238
Daimyo
College Starter

That was one of the worst officiated games I've seen in a while, but you have to give the Patriots credit for recognizing it and taking advantage of it all game long.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 06:41 PM   #239
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I guess I will spend Super Bowl Sunday unpacking boxes in my new home.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 07:37 PM   #240
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
That was one of the worst officiated games I've seen in a while, but you have to give the Patriots credit for recognizing it and taking advantage of it all game long.
Exactly. If the refs called that stuff early in the game, the Patriots would have stopped doing it. They did what any good team will do and took advantage of any leeway the refs gave them. If the Colts didn't, that's their fault. Plus, let's be honest, the Pats secondary is much better than the Colts, so it wasn't just the contact.

As for playing in a warm-weather city, it ain't the field. See the last Super Bowl we were in against the "Greatest Show on Turf." We did exactly the same thing in that game as we had done all year and it was enough to get a close win. Especially when you consider we'll be playing Carolina or Philly, not exactly teams with many offensive weapons the caliber of the Colts.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-18-2004 at 07:38 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 07:40 PM   #241
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Had the Colts done the same things as the Pats I dont think the would have gotten away with it as much, if at all. Its called home field advantage for a reason. Bottom line is the refs should have called it to begin with. A penalty is a penalty.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:43 PM   #242
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble_Platypus
Had the Colts done the same things as the Pats I dont think the would have gotten away with it as much, if at all. Its called home field advantage for a reason.

I disagree. :shurg:
Old 01-18-2004, 07:49 PM   #243
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I have not seen so much whine since I toured Berengers in Napa Valley.

This was the worst officiated game?? How about the ones some of you whined about last year as being the worst officiated game? Or the year before that? Or two years ago? What are you going to say next year when a game will be the worst officiated game of all? Short term memories.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 07:51 PM   #244
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

That sounds like the indifference of someone whose team didnt even make it to the conference championship.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:58 PM   #245
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I didn't see the kind of blatant holds by the Colts. For the record, I wasn't even talking about running plays. I will never believe the Colts were holding the way the Patriots were. If they were, Manning would not have been sacked more than once. It would have been impossible for them to do so if they were grabbing arms and jerseys the way the Patriots did. The Patriots won, and that's how it goes down in the books, but to pretend that the refs called a balanced and fair game would be a lie. The Patriots probably would have won anyway, but clearly the Patriots got more benefit from the bad crew than the Colts did.

I love how the commentators were afraid to touch the questionable calls. They would pause, to think through their words, and then be sure to throw praise to the Patriots despite the slow motion replay showing jerseys and arms being pulled and held. They even quickly got off of the subject when the slow motion replay showed that clearly they should have called delay of game against the Colts. I think it was Phil Simms that even tried to cover for the officials. I know these guys are commentators for a 'national feed', but they should at least call it the way it really is. Glossing over the problems in this game today is a real disservice to people who don't know how the game is actually supposed to be played.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:06 PM   #246
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
The Patriots won, and that's how it goes down in the books, but to pretend that the refs called a balanced and fair game would be a lie. The Patriots probably would have won anyway, but clearly the Patriots got more benefit from the bad crew than the Colts did.
I don't recall a single offensive or defensive holding or pass interference call against the Colts all day, so it seems like the refs let both teams play. I wasn't watching the officiating too closely, especially with CBS' poor camerawork today, but I don't see how you can criticize the officials for not being fair and balanced. Should they have called some of those? Probably, but they had a standard for what they considered defensive holding and PI today (for all I know, it could have been throwing the receiver to the ground and sitting on him) and they stuck to it. Any benefit the Patriots got was because they took more advantage of this fact than the Colts did. They created their own "luck."

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-18-2004 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:37 PM   #247
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
I didn't see the kind of blatant holds by the Colts. For the record, I wasn't even talking about running plays. I will never believe the Colts were holding the way the Patriots were. If they were, Manning would not have been sacked more than once. It would have been impossible for them to do so if they were grabbing arms and jerseys the way the Patriots did. The Patriots won, and that's how it goes down in the books, but to pretend that the refs called a balanced and fair game would be a lie. The Patriots probably would have won anyway, but clearly the Patriots got more benefit from the bad crew than the Colts did.

I love how the commentators were afraid to touch the questionable calls. They would pause, to think through their words, and then be sure to throw praise to the Patriots despite the slow motion replay showing jerseys and arms being pulled and held. They even quickly got off of the subject when the slow motion replay showed that clearly they should have called delay of game against the Colts. I think it was Phil Simms that even tried to cover for the officials. I know these guys are commentators for a 'national feed', but they should at least call it the way it really is. Glossing over the problems in this game today is a real disservice to people who don't know how the game is actually supposed to be played.

First play of the game, kickoff to the Patriots. Whistle blows, a few seconds later a Colts ST member levels a Patriot. Definitely after the play is over, right in front of an official. Definitely a 15 yard penalty. Just an example. You see what you want to see.

In any case, I think 4 interceptions and 1 fumble tell the story. You turn the ball over that much and you give up the right to complain about anything except your own incompetence.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:42 PM   #248
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

You mean the refs didn't use some sort of telekenisis to force Manning into tossing 4 int's? Or use some kind of mind control to allow the Patriots to consistantly pressure Manning with a 4 man rush? Surely you must be joking.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:51 PM   #249
Desnudo
Coordinator

I think Manning has a Belichickian response in away games that makes him toss key interceptions.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:08 PM   #250
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Sir Fozzie, Im not ripping the grounds crew, they kept the field well. Im just saying that the Pats play well on a sloppy field in bad conditions, and they wont have this advantage in the Super Bowl

Yeah, you're right. They were terrible against the Rams in 2001 Superbowl and couldn't beat Indy in Indy earlier this year.

Would you like a little cheese with your "wine."

As for the rest of you, if anybody thinks the Pats only won because of a few calls, stay in your world of denial. The Pats have the best coached, prepared, motivated team in the NFL that does nothing but execute plays. They won 14 games in a row with a 10-0 record against winning teams (beating Indy and Titans twice). Of course, they only did that because of the breaks and lousy officiating.

See you in Houston!
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote