Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-25-2012, 03:49 AM   #201
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

$1 Billion to a company that made $148 Billion in revenues last year was a slap in the wrist. Samsung won the battle.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 08-25-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #202
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Take for instance the pinch and zoom which was found to infringe. Sure it was innovative for Apple to put on a device, but is it really something that no other company would have come up with? How many ways are there to zoom in and out on a touchscreen without pinching? Just feels like we're setting ourselves up for an era where companies file a gazillion patents and are scared to infringe on others leading to subpar technology and products.

It wasn't innovative at all - it'd been used and demonstrated on various devices previously to the iPhone; mainly real-life propotype 'touch desks' ... but I've also seen the same thing in various sci-fi movies as well (as such I fail to see how copying someone elses concept is innovative).

Apple have put together some great hardware and a good ecosystem but instead of concentrating on improving that they appear to be taking the political party approach and just attempting to stifle the opposition continually.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #203
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

won't the appear be somewhere besides, basically, the apple boardroom?
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #204
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
$1 Billion to a company that made $148 Billion in revenues last year was a slap in the wrist. Samsung won the battle.

That was my thought. Unless they can't sell the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tablets, $1B is nothing to them but a stock market blip

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #205
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Just got Jelly Bean pushed to my phone. Really nice update. Gets rid of that jerkyness from before. Runs much smoother.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #206
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm kind of pissed that Jelly Bean isn't out for my Verizon S3 yet. The crapware is bad enough.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #208
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Just got Jelly Bean pushed to my phone. Really nice update. Gets rid of that jerkyness from before. Runs much smoother.
For which phone?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #209
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Galaxy Nexus through Verizon
Old 09-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #210
AnalBumCover
College Starter

T-Mobile Galaxy S3 owners can download The Avengers movie for free via their Media Hub app.

T-Mobile Gives Samsung Galaxy S3 Owners “The Avengers” For Free! | G Style Magazine
Old 09-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #211
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Same here (though damned Verizon for making us wait so much longer than GSM folks). REALLY smooth. Project Butter is well named. Also really like the new Notifications.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #212
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So I assume we'll get this on AT&T in February, and it will be version 1 with all the inevitable bugs/battery drains still baked in?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #213
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Same here (though damned Verizon for making us wait so much longer than GSM folks). REALLY smooth. Project Butter is well named. Also really like the new Notifications.

Yeah, the smoothness makes it feel like a new phone. I'm pretty amazed at how nice it feels. Haven't played around too much with other features but "Project Butter" feels like a big success and eliminates my biggest gripe with Android.

It is disappointing how long it takes for phones to get these upgrades.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #214
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well it's mostly Verizon. The Google phones sold directly from them (GSM versions) got it within a few weeks of its announcement. We've been waiting for Verizon to "bug test" it and ok it.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #215
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I meant other phones too outside of the Nexus. I know people with other Android phones who don't even have a timeframe for it. And aren't there people who just recently got Ice Cream Sandwich?
Old 09-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #216
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I believe so. I know my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 got ICS a few months ago. It's one of those things that comes with Android - Google comes out with a new OS, and then the manufacturers tinker with it to put their own skin on top of it (HTC's Sense, Samsung's Touchwiz), and then the carriers tinker with it to do what they do.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #217
gstelmack
Pro Starter

My Droid X isn't getting anything at all anymore.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #218
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That's what rooting is for .
Old 09-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #219
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
That's what rooting is for .
Though it's not a perfect science. My old Samsung Vibrant was an awesome phone for rooting and loading custom roms, I got it with Eclair, I rooted and added a custom Froyo rom which was taken from the stock Vibrant froyo rom. I changed roms at least once a month. Those custom roms were smooth like butter.

But when Samsung announced it was no longer supporting the Vibrant and that they would not release Gingerbread, things went downhill. Developers had to port roms from other Galaxy S phones and attempt at reverse engineering to work on the Vibrant. But they couldn't get a fully functional GB rom to work.

It was sluggish, GPS was spotty, auto brightness was buggy, in-call audio sucked, to name a few.

I stuck with a less than perfect phone for a long time in hopes that ICS ports would turn out better. Nope. But I kept ICS on the phone just because I couldn't get myself to revert back to a fully functional Froyo rom... not after tasting ICS.

I now have the (T-mobile) Galaxy S3 with stock ICS. I have yet to root it, though. I think I'm still scarred from messing with the Vibrant and getting poor results.

I still have the Vibrant though. I removed all my apps and added childrens' apps for my 18 month old to play. It's her favorite toy.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #220
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Just ordered my Galaxy Exhibit. I'm excited to be going back to Android!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #221
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah the bionic was built on/for ICS and still doesnt have an official OTA ICS update.

I have not rooted a phone since my OG droid....but I swear I think Im about to.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #222
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Yeah the bionic was built on/for ICS and still doesnt have an official OTA ICS update.

I have not rooted a phone since my OG droid....but I swear I think Im about to.

I wish I liked iOS because this Bionic shit is pissing me off.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #223
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I love my bionic...just wish we could get ICS, OTA

looks like it will be completely released to all VZW subs by 10/20....its done

Last edited by CU Tiger : 09-27-2012 at 05:25 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #224
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Replaced my old EVO with a shiny new Galaxy SIII yesterday. Woo!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #225
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Question for you guys, my brother is looking to upgrade his old Droid X and was wondering if there is going to be a slate of new phones released soon or not. The SIII looks like the latest and greatest but if a bunch of others will be released around Christmas he'll probable wait.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #226
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think there's the Droid Razr HD, Galaxy Nexus 2(probable) the Galaxy Note 2(5.5inches) and some windows phones coming out this fall. But not much else that I'm aware of.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #227
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My galaxy S3 now crashes every time I try to cut and paste something. Is anyone else having this issue on Verizon? I notice it seems to be a fairly popular problem...trying to fix this without rooting the phone.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #228
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I have an unrooted GS3 for Tmobile but have not run into this issue. I'll report here if it starts to happen.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #229
rjolley
College Starter

Anyone have a GNote II? I'm thinking about getting one as my next phone.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #230
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I have an upgrade coming up in the middle of December. I am on Verizon.

I was looking at the Note II and the S3. I will probably end up with the S3, though. The Note II looks like a great piece of hardware but I could easily see myself getting annoyed with the practicality, or lack of, of it as a phone due to its size after the newness wears off.

The new Razr's look like quality, especially the MAXX HD or whatever they call it as it has the best battery life I've ever seen from a phone. But I am tired of Motorola after the delay in ICS for my Bionic. Figure I will try Samsung (I am sure they will piss me off eventually, too).

The new Nexus 4 looks great except 1) No Verizon and 2) Not LTE. After being in a 4G market for more than a year there is no way I could go back.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #231
rjolley
College Starter

Well, Samsung isn't known for the speed of their OS upgrades, so you might have the same problem.

Yeah, it's the novelty of the size that has me wondering. I know it'll be fine initially, but will I like the size of the EVO 4G LTE or SG3 better in the long run. That's the $300 question.

Plus, with phones coming out every week, something better will be announced soon.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #232
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I found this interesting op piece on Techcrunch - really interesting to see Apple and Microsoft back on the same side - also the concept of royalty stacking has some really game-changing implications.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/11/wit...roids-jugular/
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #233
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I found this interesting op piece on Techcrunch - really interesting to see Apple and Microsoft back on the same side - also the concept of royalty stacking has some really game-changing implications.

With HTC Patent Deal, Apple Is Going For Android’s Jugular | TechCrunch

Its interesting but nothing new, that sort of thing goes on a lot in software/hardware - HOWEVER the entire article is misleading b*llsh*t imho, far from being on the backfoot Google and Android have won a lot of court battles in the last few months and Apple appears to be losing its legal impetus generally - which frankly isn't surprising because its attacked a LOT of companies each of which has its own array of patents to push back with.

In the case of HTC mentioned in the article - yes they do only have a small array of patents, but its worth considering that several of them are fundamental to the operation of the 4g networks ..... I expect this rather than royalty payments is why Apple settled quietly with them (and if HTC are paying any royalties for their Google devices, which isn't known and is pure speculation I expect it'll be a low amount).

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 11-12-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #234
gstelmack
Pro Starter

If Verizon ever gets a Windows 8 phone, I think that's the way I'm going to go next. If that turns into a miserable failure (like my old Axim device, where the upgrade to Vista on my desktop meant I could no longer synch), then I'll be forced into the Apple ecosystem. But I want to give Windows 8 a try first.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #235
Desnudo
Coordinator

I'd like to try the windows 8 phone as well. I really like the Nokia Lumina design. However, my company has become an iPhone shop after discarding Blackberries. Can't complain about the new iPhone 5 coming my way, but it is sort of ironic.

Probably for the best as MSFT has never shown an ability to maintain a consistent experience over time.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #236
Desnudo
Coordinator

If you're into the give and take of the tech industry, interesting story on how MSFT killed a really innovative Courier table a few months before manufacturing right around when the iPad launched. Developed by the guy who led their original Xbox team skunkworks style. Good bathroom reading on your iPad or Nexus!

The inside story of how Microsoft killed its Courier tablet | Microsoft - CNET News
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #237
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That new Droid DNA for Verizon looks like the tits. 5" 1080p screen.

Last edited by stevew : 11-14-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #238
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Saw that. Wonder how the battery life is on it.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #239
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Droid DNA only has a 2020 mAh battery and it is non-removable. That combined with no SD card has turned me off. Otherwise, I would be buying it in 3 weeks when I'm eligible for an upgrade. On the plus side, the phone is wireless charger ready.

As a result, I'm leaning towards the Note 2 which has a 3100 mAh battery and it is removable if you want a larger 3rd party battery. It also has a SD card slot for expansion of storage capabilities.

That being said, the DNA's screen does look very impressive.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-14-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #240
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
That new Droid DNA for Verizon looks like the tits. 5" 1080p screen.

Quote:
Saw that. Wonder how the battery life is on it.

I'm interested, but HTC really pisses me off with battery life. This device looks fantastic, but they are putting a 2020mah battery in a device with a 5" 1080 screen and with LTE. Unless the new chipsets with the integrated LTE and the screen is a lot better at conserving battery than it will be the Thunderbolt all over again.

As a Verizon customer, I assume I will be looking at the Note II, GSIII, and the Bionic Maxx HD when my contract is up in mid-December. I want the Note II because it seems like an incredible device, but it is just so damn big. I want the GSIII for the camera (and I actually like its aesthetic) but I want the Maxx HD battery life (but I don't like the Motorola look). If I look into Touchwiz and I think it isn't too terrible I will probably go with the GSIII.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 11-14-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #241
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if WVU is around to give some impressions.

I have an S3, but I can upgrade a different line and was leaning towards a Note2 or DNA. The 300$ price on the note is way out of line though.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #242
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

What has been your impressions on the S3, Steve?

Have you looked at the Maxx HD? Everything I've seen says it's battery life is just insane. I've had Motorola phones for my last two androids, though, and I'm starting to get tired of the Motorola design. It's just boring as shit imo.

Although, I do think the Maxx HD version is $300 so that is definitely a big negative.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 11-14-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #243
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I am keeping a close eye on the DNA - and seeing what the battery numbers look like. I have heard that there is some great power management for it, but I don't know how it manifests itself in real world terms. I mean, if they made it a slight bit thicker and put like a ~2500mah battery, it'd be the perfect phone.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #244
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I would have liked to have seen the Nexus 4 come to Verizon, but I am pretty hooked on LTE, though. Not sure if I could go back to a non-LTE phone. Is that crazy?
Old 11-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #245
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Nexus 4, though, runs on HSPA+, which can get 42mbps - LTE like.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #246
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Nexus 4, though, runs on HSPA+, which can get 42mbps - LTE like.

Yea, I've read that. I've been on Verizon for 10 years, though, so that's foreign to me.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #247
gstelmack
Pro Starter

It's looking like an HTC 8X Windows Phone for me soon...
Old 11-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #248
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Coming from HTC UI I have to say I haven't found TouchWiz on my SIII to be annoying at all really. It's fine IMO.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #249
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
What has been your impressions on the S3, Steve?

Have you looked at the Maxx HD? Everything I've seen says it's battery life is just insane. I've had Motorola phones for my last two androids, though, and I'm starting to get tired of the Motorola design. It's just boring as shit imo.

Although, I do think the Maxx HD version is $300 so that is definitely a big negative.

I love the screen and it's really fast. I had some issues where it was crashing every time I tried to cut and paste, but those have seemed to subside. It feels so plastic-y though.

I'm also really pissed that it still doesn't have the freaking jelly bean update yet...it should have been out 2-3 months ago. Verizon is retarded.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #250
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I love the screen and it's really fast. I had some issues where it was crashing every time I tried to cut and paste, but those have seemed to subside. It feels so plastic-y though.

I'm also really pissed that it still doesn't have the freaking jelly bean update yet...it should have been out 2-3 months ago. Verizon is retarded.

It does feel a bit plasticy to me too, but I threw a soft-shell on it that kinda took care of that. Now it feels gel-ish, which is more familiar.

As steve said - very fast. Great screen. Battery life is impressive (to me -although I don't let it run down all that low all that often).

There are some things I REALLY like about TouchWiz - having the notification bar with all the settings icons and quick-toggles is a massive improvement over HTC - even moreso since you can access it from the lock screen. Quick launch icons (and they're customizeable) are REALLY nice too.

I've got an app or two that have issues with crashing - but I blame that on the apps (one is the Verizon FIOS Mobile app, so Verizon...yeah I blame them), and the other has only locked-up once and I can't even remember what it was.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-14-2012 at 03:45 PM.