Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2006, 08:59 AM   #201
gstelmack
Pro Starter

With kids and the like, I can sometimes check quickly in the morning before work (around 7-8 AM Eastern), but that'll go away once the turns start taking longer. Otherwise I'm usually checking between 8:30 and 10:00 PM Eastern; I'm putting the kids to bed before then, and getting ready for bed myself afterward.

Unless there's a playoff hockey game on involving the 'Canes. Then I'll check between periods or maybe commercials.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:03 AM   #202
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Mr Stelmack, sir, I thiink we should join forces and take over the WORLD!

That's my plan. If you'd like to come along for the ride and help out, I'd love the help. I'll even make sure there's a small plot of land left where the JeeberDians can have self-rule.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:20 AM   #203
Runtheball
High School JV

Well right away there is no overlap between JeeberD's and gstelmack's schedules.
Jeeber, is there any weeknight you could be available? I was guessing that 9-12 pm eastern might be the best time frame for everyone, as even the west coast folks would be home from work by that time. Unless they work nights.
Beware the beast "Man", for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates he kills for sport, or lust, or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
-- The Lawgiver

Last edited by Runtheball : 06-07-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Runtheball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:49 AM   #204
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runtheball
I'm gonna toss out an idea here to pick up the pace a bit, just for the next few turns. Not suggesting we do this regularly, just right now since we all have only one or two units to move anyway, and turns take only a couple minutes. If we could all arrange to be online at the same time for even just a half hour, we could probably get through at least 5-10 turns, maybe more. If we had an hour, even better. I know there's little chance that 11 people can coordinate to be online at the same time, and if its not all 11 of us it won't work. But maybe if we could post the times we'd be available and willing to play, we'd find some overlap. Again, its not likely to work, but I want to give it a try.

I have a very flexible schedule, and can arrange to be online at virtually any time everyone else agrees upon. But I'll suggest friday, saturday, or sunday evening June 9, 10, 11 from 8pm to 1am EST.

My wife is having a baby tomorrow. I am probably going to run the clock out Thurs, Fri and Saturday, perhaps taking turns again by Sunday afternoon.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #205
Runtheball
High School JV

Congratulations on the new baby!!! My only kid was born 10 months ago; the memories are still very fresh. What an exciting time! Enjoy!
Beware the beast "Man", for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates he kills for sport, or lust, or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
-- The Lawgiver
Old 06-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #206
JeeberD
General Manager

Goddamn motherfucking barbarian panthers...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:05 PM   #207
Celeval
Pro Starter

Muahaha.

I mean, uh, hi.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:12 PM   #208
WVUFAN
College Starter

CONGRATULATIONS, Samdari!!

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:23 PM   #209
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Goddamn motherfucking barbarian panthers...

Woohoo, free experience for me! (if I can get my warrior up there before the panther heals from his 0.2 strength)

BTW, I did my turn 90 minutes ago (right at the 19:02 mark left in the turn) and it still says "Waiting for players" despite showing everyone as having taken their turn.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:32 PM   #210
WVUFAN
College Starter

Everyone has a star next to their name?

Old 06-07-2006, 06:59 PM   #211
JeeberD
General Manager

Samdari hasn't gone yet...

Old 06-07-2006, 07:08 PM   #212
WVUFAN
College Starter

Yeah, he has a really good reason for not taking his turn. :-)

Old 06-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #213
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN
Yeah, he has a really good reason for not taking his turn. :-)

Not till tomorrow .

And I'll probably check in the morning before we go, just in case.

And oh yeah, what Jeeber said
Old 06-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #214
WVUFAN
College Starter

Anyone know if it's possible to change the name of your ruler? I want to rename mine Hayabusa, after the greatest wrestler in the world!

Better than Starman .. he sucks.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #215
Franklinnoble
Banned

I think it's possible in your options menu...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:31 PM   #216
Runtheball
High School JV

Quote:
Anyone know if it's possible to change the name of your ruler? I want to rename mine Hayabusa, after the greatest wrestler in the world!

Better than Starman .. he sucks.

ALT-D to access options
-- The Lawgiver
Old 06-08-2006, 04:18 AM   #217
WVUFAN
College Starter

... and here comes some Barbarian Lions. Woot!

Old 06-08-2006, 08:44 AM   #218
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Tried to do mine before I went in to work this morning (around 7:45 Eastern or so) and could not connect to the host.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:47 AM   #219
JeeberD
General Manager

Yup, trying to connect right now with no luck...

Old 06-08-2006, 09:33 AM   #220
WVUFAN
College Starter

Should be up and ready to go now.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:41 PM   #221
WVUFAN
College Starter

dola -- NOW it should be ready to go again. :-)

Old 06-09-2006, 03:09 PM   #222
WVUFAN
College Starter

And I see Celeval through the impassible peaks that cut off the Japanese Empire from everyone else.

Old 06-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #223
WVUFAN
College Starter

I have a new tool that provides an RSS Feed you can put right on your browser that tells you how much time is left in a turn and who has taken their turn. Is this a service you guys (and gal) might be interested in?

Old 06-09-2006, 08:03 PM   #224
Runtheball
High School JV

Found a little village and entered, hoping to learn the secrets of the universe. All I learned was how much they didn't like visitors! So we killed them!

"What is best in life?"
"To crush your enemies; see them driven before you; and to hear the lamentation of their women."
-- The Lawgiver
Old 06-11-2006, 02:21 AM   #225
Vince
Pro Starter

Sorry guys, my dad's been in the hospital the last three nights, and I've been either there or at my parents' house taking care of my lil' sis. He's ok now, so I should be back on track to keep turns flowing again.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:21 AM   #226
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
I have a new tool that provides an RSS Feed you can put right on your browser that tells you how much time is left in a turn and who has taken their turn. Is this a service you guys (and gal) might be interested in?

I have no experience whatsoever with RSS Feeds, but it sounds like a pretty cool thing.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:32 AM   #227
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Sorry guys, my dad's been in the hospital the last three nights, and I've been either there or at my parents' house taking care of my lil' sis. He's ok now, so I should be back on track to keep turns flowing again.

Nothing to be sorry about. Hope your Dad's ok.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:43 AM   #228
Franklinnoble
Banned

Something seems broken. I can't connect.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:56 AM   #229
WVUFAN
College Starter

It's back up.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:27 AM   #230
Franklinnoble
Banned

The intrepid Californian scouting party continues to stumble through the wilderness, when they encounter a stench like nothing they've ever known.

A pale orange hue hangs over the landscape of what appears to be a primitive band of ape-like beings... They introduce their leader, the Great Big Rude Despot, who our scout refers to by the acronym "G.B.R.D"

When word of this encounter reaches the fearless Governor of California, he can only scratch his head and wonder, "What sort of foul beast is this 'Gee-Ber-Dee', and should we consider it a threat?"
Old 06-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #231
Runtheball
High School JV

Quote:
It's back up.

It's back down.
(Between 8 and 10 a.m. EST, still unable to connect)
-- The Lawgiver
Old 06-13-2006, 09:58 AM   #232
gstelmack
Pro Starter

10:57 AM Eastern, still down.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:42 PM   #233
WVUFAN
College Starter

Sorry about that. While I was asleep one of the cats stepped on the top "pause" button on my cable modem. True story.

It's back on now and the clock is back up to 24 hours to give everyone a chance to take their turn.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:58 AM   #234
Runtheball
High School JV

Quote:
It's actually really easy. Download the Pitboss client (it's on the Firaxis site -- I'll see if I can't get the link for you if you want, and upzip it into your Civ4 Folder. Insert your original CD, and start up the Pitboss.exe file. The program is made and released by Firaxis, so it's completely compatable.

You actually set up the game from the Pitboss screen, from entering in your SMTP server info to how the game is set up. If you have an existing PBEM game, you can convert it to Pitboss, but otherwise, just follow the instructions on the screen.

The Pitboss file has to remain open at all times, so your CPU in essense becomes the server the game is hosted on, but it's a miniscule file, so for me it's no problem.

Like i said, if you're interested, I can get you the file. If I can set it up, anyone can.

Eric,
I've downloaded the pitboss.exe and put it in the CIV4 folder, but when I try to run it it says some python (blah blah).dll file is missing. Is it necessary to download anything besides pitboss to get pitboss to run (like SDK)? I have the game on full install and the CD in the drive.
-- The Lawgiver
Old 06-14-2006, 08:34 AM   #235
JeeberD
General Manager

I had that issue, and I'm trying to remember how I fixed it...

I'm PRETTY sure that it was because I didn't have the Pitboss .exe in the Civ4 folder. Have you run a google search on the file? I think that's how I figured out the problem...

Old 06-14-2006, 09:45 AM   #236
Runtheball
High School JV

I do have pitboss in the Civ4 folder. In fact I've deleted it and re-installed it there several times now. I put the zip file there and unzip it into that directory just to be sure. I ran a google search and found only 2 references to that file...one was a guy asking the same question as me (with no respones) and another is to a very long thread where the question was asked and the answer was 'put pitboss in your civ4 folder'.
-- The Lawgiver

Last edited by Runtheball : 06-14-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:59 AM   #237
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm pretty sure that solution worked for me, I'm not sure why you're having issues...

Old 06-14-2006, 10:00 AM   #238
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola-

You're certain it's in the Civ4 folder and not just in the Firaxis folder?

Old 06-14-2006, 10:01 AM   #239
Runtheball
High School JV

yeah, There is no Firaxis folder.
Found one more thread where the guy claims to have fixed the problem by reformatting his HD and re-installing.
I think I'll just forget about ever hosting via pitboss. Not worth that much trouble.
-- The Lawgiver
Old 06-14-2006, 11:55 PM   #240
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
And I see Celeval through the impassible peaks that cut off the Japanese Empire from everyone else.

Are you quite sure about the impassable bit? :-D

BTW... anyone who wants to communicate with me, can PM me here, IM me, or email me at kdonnelly [a] enterpulse o com
Old 06-15-2006, 12:12 AM   #241
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Eric,
I've downloaded the pitboss.exe and put it in the CIV4 folder, but when I try to run it it says some python (blah blah).dll file is missing. Is it necessary to download anything besides pitboss to get pitboss to run (like SDK)? I have the game on full install and the CD in the drive.

I'm assuming you're getting this message:

"This application has failed to start because boost_python-vc71-mt-1_32.dll was not found."

And you've said that you have Pitboss.exe in the same folder as your Civ4.exe file, right? A couple of questions:

- Do you have a modded Civ4.exe file?
- Do you have .Net extensions installed?
- You said there wasn't a Firaxis folder on your desktop .. how do you have yours set up? The default setup is Firaxis/Civilization4/. That very well may be the trigger right there.

I'm doing some checking for you. It's supposed to be easy.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 06-15-2006 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:56 AM   #242
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
Are you quite sure about the impassable bit? :-D

BTW... anyone who wants to communicate with me, can PM me here, IM me, or email me at kdonnelly [a] enterpulse o com

How'd you get over? I don't see a way.

This, I must investigate. :-)

Old 06-15-2006, 07:26 AM   #243
Runtheball
High School JV

Quote:
I'm assuming you're getting this message:

"This application has failed to start because boost_python-vc71-mt-1_32.dll was not found."

And you've said that you have Pitboss.exe in the same folder as your Civ4.exe file, right? A couple of questions:

- Do you have a modded Civ4.exe file?
- Do you have .Net extensions installed?
- You said there wasn't a Firaxis folder on your desktop .. how do you have yours set up? The default setup is Firaxis/Civilization4/. That very well may be the trigger right there.

I'm doing some checking for you. It's supposed to be easy.

That is the exact error message I'm getting.
I don't have any mods for Civ4.
I don't have .net installed (not to my knowledge anyway)
I believe the install defaulted to "my documents/my games/Sid Meier's Civ 4"; at least I don't think I would have selected that location myself...I have my own "games" folder on the C drive.

I recall reading something a long time ago about .net, that it was a very insecure and subject to hacking. I don't recall the details, and know very little about network security, but I've always avoided installing it. Can anyone enlighten me about the security aspect of the .net thing?
-- The Lawgiver
Old 06-15-2006, 03:06 PM   #244
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
That is the exact error message I'm getting.
I don't have any mods for Civ4.
I don't have .net installed (not to my knowledge anyway)
I believe the install defaulted to "my documents/my games/Sid Meier's Civ 4"; at least I don't think I would have selected that location myself...I have my own "games" folder on the C drive.

I recall reading something a long time ago about .net, that it was a very insecure and subject to hacking. I don't recall the details, and know very little about network security, but I've always avoided installing it. Can anyone enlighten me about the security aspect of the .net thing?

Ahhh ... there's the problem.

Civ4 installs in two places on your CPU -- the save files go to My Documents, the main files go to Program Files.

There actually should be a Firaxis folder. Go to My Computer, then click on Program Files, and look for "Firaxis Games". Install Pitboss there, and try to run it from there.

Don't worry about .Net -- that's only needed for the turn notification. I have to run turn notification because I use GMail, which has a wierd port it uses for SMTP.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 06-15-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:29 PM   #245
Runtheball
High School JV

I checked Program Files, even using the Search utility in XP, and using the File Options menu to 'show hidden files'. There is no Firaxis folder, and Civ4 is only residing in My Documents. Again it's odd that I'd allow it to install there, or choose to put it there, since I always install games into my C:/games directory. Anyway, that's where it is. I suppose Pitboss doesn't look there for the files it needs, but I don't see a way to direct the Pitboss.exe to look anywhere else.

I appreciate the help, and wish I could get it to work. But I'm already beyond my frustration tolerance level, so unless someone has a magic bullet for this issue I've given up.
-- The Lawgiver

Last edited by Runtheball : 06-15-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:03 PM   #246
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
How'd you get over? I don't see a way.

This, I must investigate. :-)

There's a pass through the mountains. Muahaha.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:23 PM   #247
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

It's a shame you can't run Extractor for your FOF leagues

(.NET is fine for security. Don't know about the earlier versions, but 1.1/2.0 really haven't been that big an issue).
Old 06-16-2006, 06:49 PM   #248
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
There's a pass through the mountains. Muahaha.

When I find it ... that's where a fort will go.

Now ... where is your little scout? My warriors are hungry.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:17 PM   #249
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
When I find it ... that's where a fort will go.

Now ... where is your little scout? My warriors are hungry.

Fort? You're assuming a well-guarded settler isn't on his way there right now.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:45 PM   #250
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Fort? You're assuming a well-guarded settler isn't on his way there right now.

Very true. Understand, though, any intrusion past the Mountains of Dread is entering Japanese territory, and will be dealt ... harshly.