Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #201
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
I don't have any rooting interest. That definitely looked like the type of hit that hasn't been allowed for a few years now.

It's the exact hit they want out of this game.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #202
Scarecrow
College Prospect

What a man!
Old 12-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #203
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
With all due respect to you, because I like you as a person and with what you've shared elsewhere on the boards... but as far as "feeling your pain" as a Steelers fan? Go fuck yourself.

And I mean that in the friendliest possible way, but seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I had zero respect for the Steelers and their organization before the game last night, and I've got zero after. They're a bunch of cheap shot artists that are taught to be exactly that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
A Steelers fan feeling football-related pain?

In the immortal words of Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb: "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT PAIN IS!"

Yeah, you guys love me.

You know that was all tongue in cheek.

I didn't watch one snap last night as I had to sleep before my night shift. I did see the replay of the punter and I felt bad. It should have been flagged, it was a hit that was illegal per the current rules. Years ago it would have made NFL's Greatest Hits.

Missed Penalty Gave Pittsburgh A Touchdown (And Broke A Punter's Jaw)

I do think it's totally unfair to say that a rookie, undrafted free agent who has been stuck on special teams for most of the season, and is trying to just make a big, impact play is totally indicative of the entire team being a bunch of dirty cocksuckers.

The Steelers don't play any dirtier than any other team in the NFL, and to say otherwise is just homerism.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #204
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

Sad to me to see that hit and then compare it to the Ahmad Brooks hit on Drew Brees a few weeks back.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #205
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Sad to me to see that hit and then compare it to the Ahmad Brooks hit on Drew Brees a few weeks back.

In one instance you are dealing with a punter who makes $750k and the other a QB who makes $15 million plus. Not saying it is right but we all know how the league protects QBs.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #206
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post

What a man!

Absolutely should be fined and suspended. Definitely a bad hit. No launching, but for sure leading with his helmet to the helmet. Looks like he was paying attention to Orpik's hit on Loui Erikson the other night.

Pittsburgh is a dirty fucking sports city.

If they had an MLS team I'd say it'd be a perfect fit for Luis Suarez or Zinedine Zidane.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-16-2013 at 01:07 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #207
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Michael Thomas' improbable heroics cap Miami Dolphins' win - NFL.com

Great article on Michael Thomas, who went from the Niners practice squad last week to making the winning INT against the Pats yesterday.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #208
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Obviously, everyone is (and should be) focusing on the hit on the punter.

But look at the pathetic tackle attempt by #40 on Brown. The guy who goes down the instant Brown does a half-ass "straight" arm. I don't know who that guy is, but he sucks.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #209
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
totally indicative of the entire team being a bunch of dirty cocksuckers.

I don't think anybody is questioning their hygiene.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #210
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Michael Thomas' improbable heroics cap Miami Dolphins' win - NFL.com

Great article on Michael Thomas, who went from the Niners practice squad last week to making the winning INT against the Pats yesterday.

And he broke up the pass to Danny Amendola a couple of plays earlier, which may have been an even more important play, just in terms of difficulty and the fact that he was all alone out there.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #211
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
But look at the pathetic tackle attempt by #40 on Brown. The guy who goes down the instant Brown does a half-ass "straight" arm. I don't know who that guy is, but he sucks.

Well you made me look.

Shawn Williams, a safety drafted in the 3rd round out of UGA last season
Old 12-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #212
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post

What a man!

Is there another angle to see? It looks like the head of the Steeler is actually off to right of Huber when he makes the hit (the blow looks more glancing than head on). But it could just be my eyes.

I have no rooting interest, I'm a Dolphins fan.

Last edited by BillJasper : 12-16-2013 at 01:24 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #213
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I would think the fact that he has a broken jaw would be enough to prove he was hit in the jaw.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #214
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I would think the fact that he has a broken jaw would be enough to prove he was hit in the jaw.

This. It's not like he fell forward or anything. No possible other way to break it.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-16-2013 at 01:27 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #215
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
This. It's not like he fell forward or anything. No possible other way to break it.

I would just like to see it from another angle before passing internet justice on it.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #216
PilotMan
Head Coach

I think we all know who is to blame for the Cowboys collapse and the Steelers' controversial hit.

Like Steam?

Old 12-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #217
cougarfreak
College Starter

Kickers and punters always fall under the definition of defenseless. No hitting with the helmet or above the neck. As usual, the refs had their heads up their assess. And it was right in the middle of the play. No way you should miss that.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #218
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
The Steelers don't play any dirtier than any other team in the NFL, and to say otherwise is just homerism.

Quote:
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #219
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Kickers and punters always fall under the definition of defenseless.

Then they simply shouldn't be allowed to tackle.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #220
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well you made me look.

Shawn Williams, a safety drafted in the 3rd round out of UGA last season

I also had to look, and I've watched every Bengals game this season. Tells you what an impact Shawn Williams is having this year.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #221
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

The explanation on one of the local stations this morning was it was parrallel, rather than Garvin peeling back and blindsiding.

Not saying it's correct, I'll take your interpretation 10 out of 10, but at least that was their rationalization.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #222
Butter
Coordinator

BTW, dude clearly leaves his feet. So, yeah he's not diving at him in a classical sense, but he's basically put his full thrust directly onto Huber's jaw.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #223
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post

Or the rule shouldn't be there. But it is. And it happened. In the middle of the play. Right in front of at least 2 of the "officials".

Last edited by cougarfreak : 12-16-2013 at 01:54 PM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #224
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Anyone know if Reggie Bush is playing tonight? For fantasy football sake - I hope not!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #225
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Anyone know if Reggie Bush is playing tonight? For fantasy football sake - I hope not!

He's supposed to. All signs indicate that he will be playing tonight.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #226
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
They're 9-5. Don't give up just yet.

Oh I haven't given up yet believe me. But they have to finish the season against two teams that have beaten them once already, and probably must win both games to get into the playoffs. I think the only team they have the tiebreaker against is Carolina, so Carolina can't beat New Orleans this week.

Now with the potential Fitz injury, its just that the odds seem stacked very high against them making the playoffs. But its been a pretty wacky year in the NFL with a lot of unexpected results, so who knows what will happen in the last two games of the season.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #227
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post

i believe he's supposed to, and for fantasy sake, i think stafford should look at the alex smith-jamaal charles connection yesterday and try to replicate that (I'm down 68 points with stafford/bush/torrey smith going tonight)
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #228
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
i believe he's supposed to, and for fantasy sake, i think stafford should look at the alex smith-jamaal charles connection yesterday and try to replicate that (I'm down 68 points with stafford/bush/torrey smith going tonight)

Torrey Smith might get you halfway there his own damn self.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #229
PilotMan
Head Coach

Kevin Huber of Cincinnati Bengals also injured neck - ESPN

Quote:
Cincinnati Bengals punter Kevin Huber not only suffered a broken jaw on a blindside block during a 68-yard touchdown return by the Pittsburgh Steelers' Antonio Brown in the first quarter Sunday night, but sources say he also suffered a cracked vertebra in his neck on the vicious hit from Terence Garvin.

Damn. It's an ugly hit. I don't think there is much arguing that this is the exact kind of hit the NFL was hoping to eliminate. The refs totally blew the call. They should be ashamed. Not that their inability means anything to Huber. It simply shouldn't have happened.

Like Steam?

Old 12-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #230
rowech
Pro Starter

Lets not forget Carson Palmer being taken out too. I've seen two guys grt broken jaws and both came against the Steelers. I think it's just a hit to show off and I'm not sure what you're showing off by hitting a punter like that.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #231
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Lets not forget Carson Palmer being taken out too. I've seen two guys grt broken jaws and both came against the Steelers. I think it's just a hit to show off and I'm not sure what you're showing off by hitting a punter like that.

Another legal play. Kemo is blocked to the ground while trying to sack Palmer. If you're going to whine about all the injuries the Bengals have sustained playing the Steelers on legal hits, we're going to be here a while. Of course, Cincy fans whining about their team is nothing new. I used to hear them whine about Glen Edwards and Dwight White back in the Ken Anderson days. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Last edited by Blackadar : 12-16-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #232
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Another legal play. Kemo is blocked to the ground while trying to sack Palmer. If you're going to whine about all the injuries the Bengals have sustained playing the Steelers on legal hits, we're going to be here a while. Of course, Cincy fans whining about their team is nothing new. I used to hear them whine about Glen Edwards and Dwight White back in the Ken Anderson days. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

It's you against the world... the Cincinnati fans, the fans with no rooting interest either way, and the Steeler fans in this thread are all wrong and you are right. Clean play move on. Just whining Bengal fans... and whining fans who don't care and are objective... and whining Steeler fans not named Blackadar....
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #233
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I hope the vertebrae injury isn't career threatening.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #234
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

To be fair, it looks as though the picture was shaking so bad that the Pittsburgh player was just looking desperately for anything to hold on to.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #235
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I hope the vertebrae injury isn't career threatening.

It's not. Just requires time to heal. You don't want to play until it firms up. I've cracked/fractured two vertebrae on two separate occasions. Just hurts like hell for a few weeks.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #236
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post

This.

In that situation -- where they're not kicking -- they're either a football player/participant or they're not. Give a damn what the rules say or don't say, that's just common sense.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #237
molson
General Manager

I've never actually heard a penalty called or fine assessed specifically for hitting a punter or kicker in a manner that would otherwise be OK. Is that really a thing? I did a quick google search but I've only seen that "rule" referenced in ranting blogs about the "pussification" of the NFL and such. The consensus of the board seems to be this would be an illegal hit regardless.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #238
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I've never actually heard a penalty called or fine assessed specifically for hitting a punter or kicker in a manner that would otherwise be OK. Is that really a thing? I did a quick google search but I've only seen that "rule" referenced in ranting blogs about the "pussification" of the NFL and such. The consensus of the board seems to be this would be an illegal hit regardless.

UCLA was penalized this year for blocking the punter on a return. I think it was the UW game

Last edited by MrBug708 : 12-16-2013 at 06:53 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #239
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Shawn Thornton of Boston Bruins suspended 15 games for Brooks Orpik incident - ESPN Boston

Boston Celtics' Kevin Garnett suspended for Game 2 vs. Miami Heat - ESPN Boston

Don Zimmer Clowned by Pedro Martinez - YouTube
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #240
molson
General Manager

I agree with your general point, but still maintain that Don Zimmer could have beaten up Pedro Martinez in a fair fight in 2003, let alone when he's charging at him. Pedro's choices were to run away or to try to get Zimmer to the ground.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #241
PilotMan
Head Coach

Let's just leave it at we all cheer for our teams and when our guys get hurt, the other team is a bunch of cheap fucking scumbags. I know that's how I felt when Heath Miller went down with the knee injury last year. I know that's how Pats and Bengals fans feel now. It is how we all feel when we cheer for our guys. Let is alone. We like who we like. Accept that your friends like who they like and move the discussion onto more pragmatic discussions.

Like Steam?

Old 12-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #242
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I don't care that Huber got hit, I care that there was clear helmet to helmet contact that led to injury.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #243
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
In one instance you are dealing with a punter who makes $750k and the other a QB who makes $15 million plus. Not saying it is right but we all know how the league protects QBs.

True.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #244
cuervo72
Head Coach

Heh...."Burleson delivers."
Old 12-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #245
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
I think we all know who is to blame for the Cowboys collapse and the Steelers' controversial hit.

Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #246
bhlloy
Coordinator

Can we all just agree the lions are dumb though? Nothing like an obvious and completely unnecessary personal foul on a ball that's under thrown by 20 yards to give the other team points at the end of the half
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #247
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Wasn't a very smart play by Delmas. I know it can be frustrating for these safeties when the receiver's head moves right before they hit them. But by now, you would think they would be aiming for the receiver's waist. The rule has been in place long enough now that aiming for his shoulder is not a very smart idea.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #248
Radii
Head Coach

Dolphins defender nobody knows seals victory over the Patriots - Sun Sentinel

awesome story
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #249
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wow. Horrible missed call.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #250
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I have no idea how a professional ref misses that.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote