Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #202
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
How can it be so difficult for players to go into the end zone with the football and then give it to the ref? Why is that challenging for these some of these idiots?

Honey Badger is usually a very aware player, so I will assume this is a one time brain fart. Still, yes, make sure you are well into the end zone, why the hell not? Still can't believe that Desean Jackson has done it three times in front of the cameras.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #203
TroyF
Coordinator

SEC replay refs trying to ensure LSU gets a W. The punt return shouldn't have been a TD and should have been Georgia ball 1st and 10 at the 20 after the ball goes out of bound out of the end zone. Good job fellas. Make sure you keep your cash.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #204
whomario
Pro Starter

What an awesome punt under pressure by Wing Both punters have been stellar.

Have a hard time seeing Georgia winning it though, would have to be up by more points iīm afraid, canīt see LSU playing as poor in the 2nd half.

Last edited by whomario : 12-03-2011 at 05:00 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #206
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
SEC replay refs trying to ensure LSU gets a W. The punt return shouldn't have been a TD and should have been Georgia ball 1st and 10 at the 20 after the ball goes out of bound out of the end zone. Good job fellas. Make sure you keep your cash.

Eh? Do you think that in every instance of a TD every camera view is instantaneously fed to the booth and they look through all of them even when there isn't an obvious question? No one questioned the return at the time. If basically no one else notices how close that type of thing is, the ref booths won't notice how close it is either to review it.

Now if you want to question some no calls on questionable blocks around the shoulders on that return, that would at least make sense.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #208
Tigercat
College Starter

Ha! "Dr. Pepper is seriously the best thing to ever happen to me!" Best result/reaction ever for a sports contest sponsor?
Old 12-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #209
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Here's to hoping that Georgia wins to end this BCS charade that "every game matters".

But we've already had it. Multiple times. And it doesn't matter. The chaos is fun but the charade will continue.

2001 and 2006 each had 2x 1 loss teams playing an undefeated team: Nebraska/Oregon and Florida/Michigan
2003 was a mess to the point where there was a split champion and they changed the system
2005 had 3 undefeated teams at 1-3 (USC, Oklahoma, Auburn) and also 11-0 Utah and there's no champion for that year because USC had to vacate
2007 has 1-loss #1 Ohio State playing #2 2-loss LSU; #3-#5 all had 2 losses
2008 had 5 1-loss teams thrown into a hat and drawn at random
2009 was the opposite with 5 undefeated teams: Alabama, Texas, Cincinnati, TCU, and Boise State

If LSU loses tonight, it will be most like 2008. And you know on Monday, there will be Jim Rome or whatever other little tools are out talking about the BCS and how every game matters and how if Oklahoma State/Stanford/Virginia Tech, wanted to be in the title game, they shouldn't have lost. Of course, neglecting the fact that the rule doesn't apply to Alabama or LSU (if they lose tonight).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #210
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Eh? Do you think that in every instance of a TD every camera view is instantaneously fed to the booth and they look through all of them even when there isn't an obvious question? No one questioned the return at the time. If basically no one else notices how close that type of thing is, the ref booths won't notice how close it is either to review it.

Now if you want to question some no calls on questionable blocks around the shoulders on that return, that would at least make sense.

Those were blatantly obvious, I didn't figure I needed to comment on them because of how ridiculous the return was to begin with.

I thought it was obviously close from the start and have no idea how they didn't double or triple check all replays before they kicked the point after. Then again, I know why they didn't. It's the SEC afterall.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #211
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
I thought it was obviously close from the start

Then you were one of the 1% (one of which probably informed CBS about it, NONE of their camera guys or directors saw it, thus they took half an hour to show it.) The announcers and the internet were quiet about it until they got word and showed it.

I could try unsuccessfully to speed bump any more of your rants, but forget it, you're rolling!
Old 12-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #213
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Matt Millen is terrible. That is all.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #214
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

RG3 is pretty good. That is all.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #215
Grover
Pro Starter

Mathieu is some kind of awesome.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #217
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Then you were one of the 1% (one of which probably informed CBS about it, NONE of their camera guys or directors saw it, thus they took half an hour to show it.) The announcers and the internet were quiet about it until they got word and showed it.

I could try unsuccessfully to speed bump any more of your rants, but forget it, you're rolling!

I'm rolling? Because replay booths officials who have nothing else to do in the game other than look at plays like that can't get it right? Then I watch LSU smack Murray upside the face after a throw and a ref whose sole job it is to look for things like that doesn't see that either? I should have known this would be a damned joke and it is. (by the way, how is it that the ref right on the goal line misses the call? Why does it ever go to the replay booth. it was a half yard for God sakes)

Tyrann Mathieu is the single best player I've seen in college football this year and it really isn't close. LSU isn't in the title game. If he's not in the final five for the Heisman, something is wrong. Then again, something is clearly wrong with division one college football.

SEC has assured itself of getting exactly what it wants. (Nice to see they got the facemask right. Important to protect the running back and not a QB, right?) I know, I'm making an idiot of myself, the SEC officiating crew isn't.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #218
Tigercat
College Starter

If LSU had a QB that could be a consistent threat, this might be one of the best college teams of all time. The special teams + defense is amazing. (And every position but QB on offense is very good.) Even with survival tonight, QB play needs to improve. As it is, it will difficult winning the BCS championship game with the level of QB play LSU has had tonight.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #219
Tigercat
College Starter

Well, on the goal line official, Mathieu and everyone watching the play saw the ref hoist his arms before the flip. I think that is what caused the flip and why consciously and subconsciously pretty much no one thought to take a closer look. The ref was the one who really lost the place of the field and set everything into motion.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #220
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
SEC has assured itself of getting exactly what it wants.

Isn't this the case fairly often in most conferences though? At some point in the season the possible BCS teams are identified, and then seem to get the calls in close games afterwards.

(Sak to come in to defend ref integrity in 3, 2, 1...)

edit: what is the reasoning behind the conferences maintaining their own crews, anyway? Why isn't this an NCAA thing?

Last edited by cuervo72 : 12-03-2011 at 05:55 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #221
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
If LSU had a QB that could be a consistent threat, this might be one of the best college teams of all time. The special teams + defense is amazing. (And every position but QB on offense is very good.) Even with survival tonight, QB play needs to improve. As it is, it will difficult winning the BCS championship game with the level of QB play LSU has had tonight.

I think they've been playing the wrong QB the last month. Lee is the better thrower and doesn't take sacks. (Jefferson has taken double the number of sacks in 1/3 of the pass attempts)

The only thing that can hurt LSU is negaive plays by the offense. Jefferson makes more of those than Lee does IMO
Old 12-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #222
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Isn't this the case fairly often in most conferences though? At some point in the season the possible BCS teams are identified, and then seem to get the calls in close games afterwards.

(Sak to come in to defend ref integrity in 3, 2, 1...)

Look, when you start missing shots to the face on the QB, you start to go off the deep end. They missed multiple "tackles" on the first punt return. Then they missed a sure fire hit to the head on a QB? I mean, how can you logically miss that? Your job is to look for that sort of thing.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #223
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, on the goal line official, Mathieu and everyone watching the play saw the ref hoist his arms before the flip. I think that is what caused the flip and why consciously and subconsciously pretty much no one thought to take a closer look. The ref was the one who really lost the place of the field and set everything into motion.

That's an explanation I can live with. I still (and will never) understand why the replay officials didn't look at the call, but that at least makes sense. Still and incredibly idiotic play by a smart player.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #225
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
RG3 is pretty good. That is all.

He should get the heisman.. damn he is fun to watch. Maybe I'm way off base, but I think he's the best QB in the next draft. (assuming he's coming out)

Last edited by MizzouRah : 12-03-2011 at 06:09 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #226
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'll echo a previous statement.. If LSU had an offense to match their defense, they would be an amazing team and I would really enjoy watching them. As it is, I think we're destined to see another 6-3 type game in the national championship.. The only thing that might change that is the month plus layoff in between games, which is another thing I hate about the bowl system.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #227
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
As it is, I think we're destined to see another 6-3 type game in the national championship..

Perhaps, but JJ and McCarron have the ability to drive the ball against even good defenses when they are on. LSU and Bama both have NFL players scattered throughout their offenses. If both QBs have a good game (which may be a big if) it could be a really good game on both sides of the ball. Still low scoring probably, 20-17 or so.

But, yea, I wouldn't bet on it unfortunately.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #228
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think they've been playing the wrong QB the last month. Lee is the better thrower and doesn't take sacks. (Jefferson has taken double the number of sacks in 1/3 of the pass attempts)

The only thing that can hurt LSU is negaive plays by the offense. Jefferson makes more of those than Lee does IMO

He's also a much better match up against 'Bama than Lee is.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #229
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If it's just going to be against Alabama, can we just forego the National Championship game and give LSU the title?

If not, this will be a replay of that thread about soccer a couple of weeks ago where football fans were bitching about arbitrary things like aggregate goals in low scoring games deciding titles.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-03-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #230
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
If it's just going to be Alabama, can we just forego the National Championship game and give LSU the title?

If not, this will be a replay of that thread about soccer a couple of weeks ago where football fans were bitching about arbitrary things like aggregate goals in low scoring games deciding titles.

SI

It's not like 'Bama was beaten soundly. An OT game with four missed field goals makes me think 'Bama has a shot.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #231
Tigercat
College Starter

I'm surprised so many people are writing off Oklahoma State. They win by 14, or even better 20+ tonight, is it that sure of a thing that Bama maintains #2? I wonder.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #232
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
It's not like 'Bama was beaten soundly. An OT game with four missed field goals makes me think 'Bama has a shot.

But that's my point- they were already beaten so why do we get to suffer through it again? Even better will be if Alabama wins 10-7. That way, LSU won 6-3 and Alabama won 10-7, so both teams scored 13 in 2 games and the arbitrary determiner of who is better will be the one that won it a few weeks later on the calendar

SI

Old 12-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #233
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
is it that sure of a thing that Bama maintains #2? I wonder.

Book it.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #234
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
But that's my point- they were already beaten so why do we get to suffer through it again? Even better will be if Alabama wins 10-7. That way, LSU won 6-3 and Alabama won 10-7, so both teams scored 13 in 2 games and the arbitrary determiner of who is better will be the one that won it a few weeks later on the calendar

SI

Why did we need to have the Super Bowl with the Giants and the Pats? The Pats beat them in week 17 while on the road.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #235
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Unless Cincy somehow gets a ton of extra votes for beating UConn and can pass us up, WVU should be locked into a BCS spot now. Hoping for Orange against Virginia Tech, but Sugar vs Michigan would be fun (and probably make for entertaining television with probably 120 points scored), too.

It sounds like Houston's loss probably pushed us to the Orange.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #236
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
If it's just going to be against Alabama, can we just forego the National Championship game and give LSU the title?

Did you not just hear the CBS announcers (glad they're not too bias); They said that even if Bama beats LSU in the Championship game (they announced that it was impossible for OSU to reach #2), LSU should be co-champions.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #237
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I don't know who #18 is for Georgia is, but he wants no part of the LSU running backs. Seen him continue to backpedal several times instead of trying to come up and make a tackle.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #238
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Why did we need to have the Super Bowl with the Giants and the Pats? The Pats beat them in week 17 while on the road.

Yes, because a system based on a larger regular season with a playoff and one where it's a beauty pageant to enter a winner-take-all game is equivalent

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-03-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #239
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I don't know who #18 is for Georgia is, but he wants no part of the LSU running backs. Seen him continue to backpedal several times instead of trying to come up and make a tackle.

Baccari Rambo, one of the more prolific trash talkers at UGAg.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #240
SFL Cat
College Starter

I'm a SEC guy, but I can't really say I'm jazzed about an Alabama-LSU national championship game.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 12-03-2011 at 07:15 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #241
Tigercat
College Starter

I was hoping to take my dad to the BCSCG for his 65th birthday coming up. Neither of us have been to a LSU bowl game before... Unfortunately, the consensus is that tickets won't dip below 1.2k a piece anywhere, anyhow if Bama is involved, and that is a bit too rich for me. OSU might be/have been a different story. So, yea, not really jazzed about it either from a personal standpoint.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #242
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
where it's a beauty pageant

The subjectivity is definitely part of the beef. "Sports" like figure skating, gymnastics, diving, freestyle skiing...these are sometimes criticized because they involve a judging element, which introduces the opportunity for bias - the ol' Russian judge (or at least *I* criticize them, as I believe sports should be decided by measurables such as points, weights, times, distances). While games are decided on the field, there is still the judgement element of the polls.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 12-03-2011 at 07:27 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #243
MJ4H
Coordinator

bias
biased

choose wisely
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #244
SFL Cat
College Starter

Playoffs...nuff said. Sometimes it's fun beating a dead horse...
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #245
Tigercat
College Starter

Come on, Okie St, win 63-3!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #246
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

BYU 7-6 over Hawaii midddle 2nd quarter.. A Hawaii win puts them in the Hawaii Bowl. A loss hopefully means a new coach.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #247
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
bias
biased

choose wisely

I choosed poorly.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #248
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Montee Ball with his second TD of the game already - over 100 yards rushing. In the 1st quarter. And 32 yards passing. LOL

Last edited by mauchow : 12-03-2011 at 08:03 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #249
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

We've got a shootout in Indianapolis. Whoever makes fewer mistakes will win this one. With a lost fumble for MSU already - the Badgers hold that edge. 21-14 at the start of the 2nd quarter.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #250
lungs
Pro Rookie

Come on Bucky!
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote