Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #201
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Enjoying my superstar career, 3 games in as a QB with the Bucs. I'm not seeing the uber-flat routes or the uber-TEs. I've hit one or two big plays to the RB, but these are mostly coming on blitzes which is what I'd expect. I did end up turning down CPU interceptions; I may turn them back up when I get better at reading the defense, but on the default 50 they pick off anything that gets near them.

Whoever said you only get 3 seconds to throw on Very Fast, I'm lucky to get that on Slow with some of these teams that pick you up as a QB in superstar as they have crappy offensive lines. No way am I increasing the game speed.

Are you using supersim? What length quarters?

Still messing around with settings to see what works best for me to at least get it close to realistic.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #202
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: I still think the PaT holding penalty bug is unexcusable for a company that has been putting out a football game for as long as EA has. That is a bug taken right out of Maximum Football. Thanks for your input Daivd!!!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #203
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I like those sliders posted further up the thread, the AI is now running the ball effectively. But I'm leaving the game speed on slow or else I just don't have any time to think when passing. The realistic stats mean a lot more to me than the realistic 40 times.

Also, am I blind or are the punting/kicking sliders in a separate menu than the offense/defense sliders?

Last edited by Big Fo : 08-18-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #204
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Are you using supersim? What length quarters?

I'm using the DQ sliders / settings from above, playing out the game. My INT complaint was simply that every time I throw the ball up for grabs, the AI picks it off, never dropping the INT
Old 08-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #205
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Also, am I blind or are the punting/kicking sliders in a separate menu than the offense/defense sliders?

You are blind, there is a "Special Teams" menu.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #206
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I answered the question above.

I avoid using drag routes. I keep my RB's in to block most of the time. When I do throw to a back, it's usually a circle route in the middle of the field. I'll have an occasional screen pass or quick flare to mix things up, but if I find a play the CPU can't stop, I just avoid using that play.

I have never played a football game that didn't have "money" plays. Heck, I've found few text sims that don't have some exploits.

I do agree that the Madden team made a mistake with the RB flat passes and made drag routes too easy. (that said, if you have a bad QB, the drag routes can get you in really big trouble, try throwing them with Derek Anderson (brutal). I know if they fix the flat routes, there will be another exploit I can use.

FWIW, I can still get my RB's and TE's touches without using drag routes or flares to the flats. It also makes the game much harder to move up and down the field on. I'm sure someone will find a defensive exploit as well. There is probably some defensive play out there that sacks the QB 50% of the time. If I find that play, I'll replace it in my playbook with another play.

The object of the game for me is to have fun. Finding and exploiting a money play (or money style) isn't that thrilling. If you can't contain yourself from throwing those routes, I'd exchange the game. (please understand, that's not an insult. If you don't like the game, you don't like the game. There are plenty of issues with this game that can cause someone to hate it or make it unplayable. Some of us can get around them and are finding an enjoyable game. Others can't and are taking it back. I'm just telling you how I get around the issue and in this case, I don't think there is a second way around it. Good luck. )

It's not really a money play though, it's multiple money styles. A money play isn't a big deal to me. I just skip that play in the playbook. Typically it's just something that the defense can't figure out.

Money styles though ruin it for me. I mean how can you play football when you can't throw to your TE or run your RB into the flat or any other screen play? It's like playing a basketball game and not shooting 3's because they are too easy.

It just comes down to how I'm playing the game. Am I doing my best to win? Or am I purposely doing bad to make the game competitive? If it's the latter, it's not a good game and I can't play it. Sports games will always have flaws but at least you can set it up so that you can still play your best and make it competitive (even if it is unrealistic).
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #207
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
You are blind, there is a "Special Teams" menu.

Alright, I pause the game, go into settings, and see player skill and cpu skill among a bunch of other options like penalties, controls, volume, etc. but no special teams.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #208
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Not to complain but trying a career mode now. In my first game I am up 14-0 over the Panthers in the 2nd quarter. They have a 4th and 3 on my 23 and they PUNT.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #209
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

It sucks because I like the game play much better than the MAddens of teh past. Unfortuntately little things like the PaT bug I mentioned earlier and now this start to eat at me.

One other question but this seems to apply to all EA Sports games for me. Has anyone had an issue with sound? Twice now I have lost all sound in the middle of a game. his same thing has happened when I have played NCAA 09 as well. Only restarting the X-Box gets my sound back.

I was worried that it was an issue with my X-Box but what I don't get is why it only happens in these games and has not happened in any other game.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #210
Kodos
Resident Alien

If it bothers you that much, the PAT bug can easily be gotten around by turning off holding penalties.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #211
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Alright, I pause the game, go into settings, and see player skill and cpu skill among a bunch of other options like penalties, controls, volume, etc. but no special teams.

I found it on the main menu of the game, under settings. That's where I was able to make the changes. Changing the profile affects all games/modes.

I've been using Bill Harris' sliders for several games now. They've turned out pretty well. Close wins over the Ravens and then the Steelers (as the Bungles). I toned down the speed to fast because very fast wasn't my thing. The game speed is like NCAA 09, which had a comfortable game speed for my style of play. We'll see how things progress, but it's nice playing an NFL game where changing the sliders & getting crushed in a game doesn't ruin your season (like it does in an NCAA game where losing 1 game almost kills your chances at a national title).
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #212
TroyF
Coordinator

That's just it RainMaker. I showed you the real NFL stats. RB's and TE's simply don't catch that many passes period and they don't catch a ton of those passes in the flat.

This isn't a basketball game taking away three pointers. It's a basketball game taking away the 15 foot open jumper from the baseline. Yeah, they happen in an NBA game, just not that frequently.

As for making the game competitive? I think that's what we all do with sports titles and always have. I hit to many HR in The Show? I adjust the difficulty. I hit .201 over 60 games with a highly rated palyer? I adjust it back down. In Madden, there have always been play that worked 85% of the time for 3 or 4 yards. (it's been different money plays over the years, from the short TE hooks, to flat passes, crossing routes, etc.) So what have I always done if it's 4th and 2 with 1:15 left in the fourth and I'm down by three?

If I'm in FG range, I attempt the FG. Yeah, I know a vast majority of the time, I could use the exploitable play and then go in for a TD. But that's not enjoyable to me. Just like I don't go for it on 4th and inches from my own 28 when I know plays that can get me those six inches.

Again, if this is a game killer, than sell it off. I'm not trying to sell you on the game. I personally don't think flat passes are an integral part of the NFL experience. If you do, then you should trade the sucker in. I don't think sliders will fix this problem.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #213
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
If it bothers you that much, the PAT bug can easily be gotten around by turning off holding penalties.

What bothers e that much is that a football game fro a company that has been selling football games for this many years should not have that kind of bug. Turning off holding penalties should not even have to enter into the picture. This bug should have not made it into the final release.

I have encountered two issues which would have led to 5 pages worth of posts if it were in Maximum Football.

Holding on PaT allowing you to keep the 6 points and have first and goal with a shot at another 6 points is pretty big. Now add a team punting on their opponents 23 yard line and you have two issues that really remove you from the experience that you should be having.

Unfortunately my biggest recent irk may be an X-Box issue, the loss of sound. The problem is that I can't figure out why it seems to happen on NCAA and Madden but not other games.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #214
Kodos
Resident Alien

Oh, your PAT bug was different from the one I ran into. Basically, I got consecutive holding calls on the field goal attempt that moved me out of FG range and forced a punt.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #215
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Oh, your PAT bug was different from the one I ran into. Basically, I got consecutive holding calls on the field goal attempt that moved me out of FG range and forced a punt.

Yeah. Team scored. 6 points awarded. Holding on PaT. Team was given 1st down at the 12. Team scored again and then kicked a PaT. A 13 point posession.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:08 PM   #216
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

So far, this sounds like a pass to me.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #217
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Fwiw, I've never encountered the FG bug.

However, I have a coaster right now because my Xbox wont read the disc. It's obviously brand new...no scratches. Wal-mart won't accept opened games for exchange.

Got a buddy coming today with another 360, so I'll test it on there. I've been having issues with unreadable discs on brand new games lately (Bigs 2, NCAA10, and Madden 10). But now, the game can't even make it to the loading screen.

JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #218
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Not to complain but trying a career mode now. In my first game I am up 14-0 over the Panthers in the 2nd quarter. They have a 4th and 3 on my 23 and they PUNT.

I've only encountered this once, and it was in heavy, heavy rain. FG's are nearly impossible to kick in inclement weather so they punted. I was actually glad they did because everything was coming up way, way short.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #219
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
I found it on the main menu of the game, under settings. That's where I was able to make the changes. Changing the profile affects all games/modes.

Ah cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan
I have encountered two issues which would have led to 5 pages worth of posts if it were in Maximum Football.

That has more to do with Maximum Football I guess (never played that game but I've read parts of that legendary thread) because I wouldn't say there are many Madden apologists on this board.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #220
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Very fast took some getting use too but with the wide view I am able to have a functionally passing attack. I can not say enough good things about this game to be honest because everything about it is fun to me.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #221
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Am I doing something wrong?

I go into Madden 2010 on my XBOX 360.

When I start a franchise, it goes from scp to user01

Then it kicks back to scp.

Because of this, I cannot save my franchise...

What am I doing wrong?
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:52 PM   #222
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
I've only encountered this once, and it was in heavy, heavy rain. FG's are nearly impossible to kick in inclement weather so they punted. I was actually glad they did because everything was coming up way, way short.

No weather issues at all. They had just hit a 53 yarder intheir previous drive. Either way, it's from the 23. If you are not going to kick a field goal you go for it. There should be zero chance of a team punting from the 23.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #223
RainMaker
General Manager

I haven't seen the punt thing yet. Wonder if it was just a weird bug that won't come up again for you.

I have seen some bad late game AI though. If they need a score to tie it up late, they'll still throw underneath crap for nothing and never throw deep.

Another thing that never gets mentioned in football games and I don't think any company has ever done properly is running out of bounds. Has there ever been a game where the CPU will purposely step out of bounds instead of getting tackled in bounds when they need to conserve clock?
Old 08-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #224
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: Just had a holding call in a franchise game on a PaT and it registered the penalty correctly. Not sure if it is related to the mode, or just a weird random glitch. I am much happier about it if it is a weird random (and hopefully rare) glitch.

I am very happy about finally completing a game without losing sound. I have no clue what is causing that. I have tried looking up the issue and I can't find anything that matches what is happening to me.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #225
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Phil on OS just said that a roster update will be out tomorrow morning. It will include Vick and Favre among many other players. Also, he said the first patch is going to be later than expected (i.e. sounds like it won't be this week.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-18-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #226
RainMaker
General Manager

The sound to me seems like a hardware issue. Maybe the laser isn't gathering all the data properly. Years ago I had an issue with freezing on 2K games. It ended up that my laser was bad on the 360. Apparently some games data are gathered differently and for whatever reason the issues with the laser on 2K games was making it freeze.

My guess is that it's probably your 360 and the way EA writes their game is causing this issue to come up.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #227
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Oh, I actually liked the CPU's end of game logic in the game that I just played. I was down 28-27 and moved the ball inside the Panther's 10 for a first and goal with under a minute left.

They used their timeouts to try to keep me from running the clock down for a last second field goal and give themselves time with the ball. I have seen the CPU use their timeouts when trailing in a game and needing to get the ball back but I don't remember seeing them use timeouts in this kind of situation. A definite plus there.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #228
SnowMan
High School Varsity

It's confirmed. I still suck at Madden.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #229
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The sound to me seems like a hardware issue. Maybe the laser isn't gathering all the data properly. Years ago I had an issue with freezing on 2K games. It ended up that my laser was bad on the 360. Apparently some games data are gathered differently and for whatever reason the issues with the laser on 2K games was making it freeze.

My guess is that it's probably your 360 and the way EA writes their game is causing this issue to come up.

I am thinking it is some combination like that. Oddly its just the EA football games as I have not had an issue with FIFA or NHL.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #230
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

For me, it is never fun in any video game to limit what I can do in order to give the computer a chance. If I have to limit how I play a game, then the game loses interest for me in a hurry. If I played online, i would be the ultimate cheeser, which is why I don't play online. I have never understood the thinking of not doing everything possible to win (just as others probably don't understand how it can be fun for me to run up the score).
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #231
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
For me, it is never fun in any video game to limit what I can do in order to give the computer a chance. If I have to limit how I play a game, then the game loses interest for me in a hurry. If I played online, i would be the ultimate cheeser, which is why I don't play online. I have never understood the thinking of not doing everything possible to win (just as others probably don't understand how it can be fun for me to run up the score).

Different strokes and all. . . I just wonder how someone in your shoes ever enjoys a football game. I think I've probably played every graphical football sim ever made. From the two on two stickmen ball on my TRS 80 color computer to Tom Landry, Mike Ditka, John Elway, John Madden, Bill Walsh, NCAA, Front Page Sports, TV Sports, Joe Montana Sports Talk, NFL2K5. . . I could go on and on. I've played em all.

And every single one had some exploit I could beat. From halfback passes to fast QB's to speedy running backs to jumping linebackers to the Madden flat passes. . . every single one had an exploit. Most of them weren't even "money" plays. They were "money styles." Some games couldn't control the blitz, others couldnt' control runs outside, some couldn't control the deep ball.

I'm not bothered by you not liking it, I just can't fathom how you ever enjoy any football game.

It's funny, I'm on the opposite side this year. Last year I couldn't stand NCAA. Hated it with such a passion I couldn't play more than 2 hours before I gave up. Others say they loved it and played it all the way through this year. To each their own.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #232
bhlloy
Coordinator

I agree with Troy. What sports game (other than Baseball, which is obviously a different animal to program) doesn't have money plays? Even College Hoops 2k8 which is by far the best programmed game ever IMO had some pretty money plays if you had a big strong center or an athletic big man. Just ignore them and play realistically.

I'm quite a few games in with my Texans dynasty now and I'm ignoring the exploits and having a blast. I throw to Daniels when appropriate, run the odd screen or wheel to Slaton and throw a bunch of balls to Andre Johnson just like in real life. It's a fun game and gives very realistic stats.

If people are waiting for a perfect console game with no exploits, probably going to be waiting a very long time. Hopefully they can patch the game to where the flats are less of a problem area and some of the more obvious bugs are fixed and then this one is going to be pretty much perfect IMO.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #233
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
The running game suck in madden 10 for cpu teams. If they do average over 4 YPC is because they break some over 20 yards to bring the average up.

I hate sliders if its going to boost weak running teams with weak RB or offensive line.

The problem here is that Madden has to appeal to joystick jockeys and to sim nuts. Well, it really only HAS to appeal to joystick jockeys, but they make an effort for the sim nuts. And that effort is the sliders. The sliders adjust things like how long it takes the D to read a play, how easy is it to shed a block, etc.

Sure, I'd love to see them do away with all these skill modes and sliders (which are essentially a cop-out) and instead have the following pre-sets:
  • I want to win no matter what (essentially Rookie)
  • I HAS L33T SKILZ! (essentially All-Madden)
  • The NFL RB averages 4.11233223441 YPC, so the Madden RB should average 4.11233223441 YPC (realistic)
I fall closer to the third end of the spectrum, although I'm not a stickler for stats. I just want realistic strategies to work realistically. I think Madden 10 with the DQ sliders comes reasonably close for me. My problem is it takes me a while to get used to reading the defense to figure out how to throw the ball reasonably well, but I think I'm starting to get there now.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #234
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
The running game suck in madden 10 for cpu teams. If they do average over 4 YPC is because they break some over 20 yards to bring the average up.

I hate sliders if its going to boost weak running teams with weak RB or offensive line.

Actually it doesn't. The more I play with Bill's sliders the more I like them. Play a game with the Ravens vs. the Vikings. Then play a game as the Broncos vs. the Vikings. Tell me you don't see a difference in AP's yards.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #235
samifan24
Pro Starter

Can someone post "Bill's" sliders that you're all using?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #236
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Fwiw, I've never encountered the FG bug.

However, I have a coaster right now because my Xbox wont read the disc. It's obviously brand new...no scratches. Wal-mart won't accept opened games for exchange.

Got a buddy coming today with another 360, so I'll test it on there. I've been having issues with unreadable discs on brand new games lately (Bigs 2, NCAA10, and Madden 10). But now, the game can't even make it to the loading screen.

Have you tried clearing your cache? I had the same problem with multiple copies of NHL 2009 before I was pointed in that direction.

To clear the cache on the Xbox 360 do the following:
  • Go to the Xbox Dashboard, select the System Blade, and select Memory.
  • Highlight the HD symbol and press Y.
  • Press X, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X, X.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #237
dervack
College Prospect

GAME OPTIONS
Quarter length: 12
Play clock: On
Accel clock runoff: 15 seconds (with 12-minute quarters, will produce roughly 120 plays per game)
Injuries: 50
Fatigue: 50 (I'm still working with this)
Game speed: Very Fast
Player min speed thresh: 70
Camera angle: Wide
Fight For the Fumble: Off

PENALTIES:
Offside 100
False Start 100
Holding 52 (very touchy--don't go higher than this)
Facemask at 66
Def PI 100
Off PI 100.
KR/PR Int 70
Clipping 75
Int Grounding 70
Rough Passer 75
Rough Kicker 75

PLAYER SKILL
(note: at first, it looks like there are only four sliders. Press "A" on each to access the sub-settings (thanks to Bill Abner for the tip).
Passing:
QB Accuracy 20
Pass Blocking 75
WR Catching 50
Rushing:
Broken Tackles 55
Run Blocking 100
Fumbles 25
Pass Defense:
Reaction Time 20
Interceptions 25
Pass Rushing 100
Rush Defense:
Reaction Time 5
Block Shedding 0
Tackling 45

CPU SKILL
Passing:
QB Accuracy 20
Pass Blocking 75
WR Catching 50
Rushing:
Broken Tackles 55
Run Blocking 100
Fumbles 25
Pass Defense:
Reaction Time 20
Interceptions 25
Pass Rushing 100
Rush Defense:
Reaction Time 5
Block Shedding 0
Tackling 45

SPECIAL TEAMS
FG Power 58
FG Accuracy 40
Punt Power 60
Punt Accuracy 80
Kickoff Power 50
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #238
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Am I doing something wrong?

I go into Madden 2010 on my XBOX 360.

When I start a franchise, it goes from scp to user01

Then it kicks back to scp.

Because of this, I cannot save my franchise...

What am I doing wrong?

I had this same problem. Do you have a wired controller plugged in? In my case, I had a wired guitar controller plugged in - that always became controller one. So when I selected to do something with the usual/wireless controller - it treated me as a new profile.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #239
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

hahaha, the Saints were running no-huddle at the end of the game, one of my lineman was like ten yards behind the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped and just crushed Brees from behind. That was totally worth the five yard penalty.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #240
TroyF
Coordinator

I just had one of the single best games I've ever played in a football video game. I was the Eagles playing the Texans. It was nip and tuck throughout, mainly because I couldn't score inside the 20. (5 trips for the game, 2 TD, 1 missed FG, 1 missed 4th and 1, 1 INT returned for a TD)

I had a 17-13 lead heading into the final quarter. The Texans drove down the field and Shaub hit Johnson for a 17 yard TD with about 5 minutes left in the game. I went 3 and out on the next possession. The Texans drove the ball down my throat. Facing a third and long from their 25, I was able to pressure Shaub with Cole. Shaub backed up and was sacked by another guy. The huge loss set up a 54 yard FG attempt and Kris Brown drilled it.

After a big return, I dorve down the field to the 15. On 3rd and 1, I decided to go 4 wide and run Westbrook up the middle. It fooled the Texans (first time i'd run out of that formation all day), the red sea parted and he went into the end zone with 1:58 left in the game. (I'm now up 24-23) The Texans promptly incompleted three straight passes. With 1:35 left, they decided to punt. (they had all of their time outs) I didn't like the call, especailly as I'd run well with Westbrook all day.

Still, they stuffed me three and out. I punted the ball back to them with 1:12 left on the clock. Shaub promptly hit two straight big passes over the middle. A 22 yarder to Johnson, a 36 yarder to the TE Daniels. They spiked the ball and then Shaub hit on yet another pass, this one to Anderson for 9 yards. After the spike, it set up a 36 yard FG.

Then something happened that's never happened to me before in a Madden game. The AI kicker hooked the FG. Brown, who'd drilled a 54 yarder earlier in the quarter, hooked this one wide and I won the game.

It was a really, really fun football game. Here are the final numbers for those interested:

McNabb - 16-28, 246 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 4 sacks against
Westbrook - 20-123, 1 TD, McCoy 9-19
Maclin - 6-105 (42 on a deep post), Westbrook, 5-52 (no flat passes, all middle of the field or in a true pass pattern)
I controlled Cole on D, he had 1 tackle, 1 sack.

Shaub 22-36, 252, 1 TD, 0 INT
Slaton - 16-75. (he tore me apart in the first quarter, I was able to shut him down the rest of the way)
Daniels 8-101 (I doubled Johnson a lot, Daniels just killed me in the middle of the field), Slaton 4-59 (played 4 quarter D on a 3rd and 18, he caught a button hook up the middle, slipped a tackle and went 36 yards)
Demarco Ryans - 7 tackles, 2 assits
Williams - 2 sacks and a ton of other pressures.

These were with Bill's sliders untouched.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:59 PM   #241
Epi_862
Mascot

Anyone got any sliders that produce realistic stats without going faster than the default? I dont want to play on Very Fast, i want to read the defense and read the holes when im running.

Also, the talk about money plays - i dont think you read on eof the earlier posts. The problem is not a couple of money plays. Its the money style. No matter what passing play you pick, theres always a TE or a RB open. I played franchise, absolutely no cheese plays, and Donald Lee finished 2nd in the NFL in catches, yards and TD's. And i never, ever had him as a #1 option on pass plays. The second best receiver on my team was RB Grant. Others were miles behind. This really shouldnt be the case, no matter how you put it, and the bad thing is.. i really dont hink it can be fixed with sliders.

And again, not a Madden hater. I've loved 08, 09 and now 10. Theres is just so much wasted potential here.. But is STILL is a great game of football.
Epi_862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:07 AM   #242
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
I had this same problem. Do you have a wired controller plugged in? In my case, I had a wired guitar controller plugged in - that always became controller one. So when I selected to do something with the usual/wireless controller - it treated me as a new profile.

THAT HAS TO BE IT, I forgot my daughter had played rock band and it's still plugged into.

Thanks, I'll try that today when I get home.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #243
dolfin
High School JV

Quote:
If they do average over 4 YPC is because they break some over 20 yards to bring the average up.

I'd say this is probably pretty typical of most RBs in a majority of games in the NFL as well.
dolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:04 AM   #244
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Different strokes and all. . . I just wonder how someone in your shoes ever enjoys a football game. I think I've probably played every graphical football sim ever made. From the two on two stickmen ball on my TRS 80 color computer to Tom Landry, Mike Ditka, John Elway, John Madden, Bill Walsh, NCAA, Front Page Sports, TV Sports, Joe Montana Sports Talk, NFL2K5. . . I could go on and on. I've played em all.

And every single one had some exploit I could beat. From halfback passes to fast QB's to speedy running backs to jumping linebackers to the Madden flat passes. . . every single one had an exploit. Most of them weren't even "money" plays. They were "money styles." Some games couldn't control the blitz, others couldnt' control runs outside, some couldn't control the deep ball.

I'm not bothered by you not liking it, I just can't fathom how you ever enjoy any football game.

It's funny, I'm on the opposite side this year. Last year I couldn't stand NCAA. Hated it with such a passion I couldn't play more than 2 hours before I gave up. Others say they loved it and played it all the way through this year. To each their own.

I don't disagree about all games having money plays. Just about all sports games have them. For me, I have fun playing games against people I know mainly. If everyone knows how to exploit the computer, then everyone is on the same level. If your opponent keeps throwing to his runningback, then take control of a linebacker and cover that runningback. This goes all the way back to Genesis and Nintendo. In Double Dribble, if you shot a three while jumping out of bounds, you just about always made it. So, don't let your opponent get to the corner.

When I play against the computer, it is mainly just a competition to see how badly I can beat them. I am not looking for it to be a game. I know the computer is not capable of that. I am looking to win big. I am looking to win bigger than I have ever won before. I am looking to win bigger than my friends have ever won before. More rushing yards, more passing yards, less yards for them. That is the fun I have with the game.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #245
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi_862 View Post
Anyone got any sliders that produce realistic stats without going faster than the default? I dont want to play on Very Fast, i want to read the defense and read the holes when im running.

Also, the talk about money plays - i dont think you read on eof the earlier posts. The problem is not a couple of money plays. Its the money style. No matter what passing play you pick, theres always a TE or a RB open. I played franchise, absolutely no cheese plays, and Donald Lee finished 2nd in the NFL in catches, yards and TD's. And i never, ever had him as a #1 option on pass plays. The second best receiver on my team was RB Grant. Others were miles behind. This really shouldnt be the case, no matter how you put it, and the bad thing is.. i really dont hink it can be fixed with sliders.

And again, not a Madden hater. I've loved 08, 09 and now 10. Theres is just so much wasted potential here.. But is STILL is a great game of football.

I don't think you read my posts. I clearly addressed the fact that it wasn't only money plays with most of the game, but money "styles". Look, a money play is usually there because the computer can't do something well. If it can't handle the blitz, then it likely can't handle the blitz on a number of plays. Let's say the money play is a 4-3 safety blitz that sacks the QB 80% of the time. If that's the case, something is flawed with the game itself in how it handles the safety blitz. ANY safety blitz will be more successful than it should be. More than likely, and blitz at all will be more successful than what it should be.

Again, I've yet to play a game that doesn't have this issue to some degree. (for kicks, go into practice mode on Madden '09 and run any play with a hook route. Practice it for about 5 minutes. Then go into the game and start calling a play with a hook route every single time. Throw it away if the CB is in front of the WR. Call it again on the next play. Enjoy your exploit.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:53 AM   #246
RainMaker
General Manager

I guess I'm tough on Madden because we have a lot of really good sports games on the market. Every other sport seems to have a strong option. We have top of the line gameplay for baseball (The Show), soccer (FIFA), hockey (NHL series), and basketball (NBA 2K).

It might have improved this year but is still well behind just about all major sports on the consoles. I now look at is as I can temper how I play each game and allow the computer to keep it competitive, or I can just play another sports series where I can try and win.

Last edited by RainMaker : 08-19-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #247
gstelmack
Pro Starter

So try Superstar mode. And if you are QB you can avoid any issues with the CPU QB running the clock down when trying to score late a la McNabb in the Super Bowl.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #248
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfin View Post
I'd say this is probably pretty typical of most RBs in a majority of games in the NFL as well.

+1

Look at Barry Sanders, the best RB ever. He tended to lead the league in carries of no gain or a loss but always broke open the big ones that bumped his average up.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #249
RedKingGold
College Starter

I've had a really enjoyable experience thus far. My biggest complaint was lack of an AI running game, but I think I've hit the money pot with these sliders. I'm basically using all of DQ's, but I upped CPU RB Break Tackle to 75 and dropped User Tackling to 25.

After playing fifteen or so games, I think the problem with default settings and even DQ's sliders is that so-so and even good players were consistently making solo tackles on extremely good RB's.

What I have seen with this slider changes is that players like Adrian Peterson and LT will likely only be stopped by gang tackling or a solo tackle by another really good run stopper (a la Patrick Willis). Yet, lower quality running backs (like Knowshon Moreno) will still be stopped by individual solo tackles by individual players.

Also, I highly recommend playing on the Very Fast setting. While it takes a slight adjustment, it does feel a lot more like real football (especially in the pocket). It's supposed to be frantic for a QB inside the pocket, and I find myself approaching each play with a plan of reads based on the coverage presented, and progress quickly.

Lastly, the very fast setting does seem to make the OL quality actually important on the field. As Alex Smith for the 49er's, I have noticeably less time to throw play-per-play than I do when I play with the Steelers. In fact, when testing the running sliders, I noticed that I was much more able to get pressure on the Vikings right side of the line on defense than on the left side (where McKinnie and Hutchinson play).

In short, for those on the fence, I definitely think this is worth a purchase. I'm sure there's a few more slider things to work out, but I am somewhat in agreement that this is the first football game I can remember where skill at each position does seem to matter.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #250
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm really enjoying Bill's sliders even though I'm playing it on the fast speed level. I just picked off Tom Brady in the Eagles' first pre-season game. Funny achievement
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote