Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2005, 03:28 PM   #201
Pyser
Pro Rookie

rolle signs with baltimore. for 6 years.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #202
bigmike75
n00b

I considered myself an avid Cowboys fan until I realized this... I was completely under the impression that we had signed Laroi Glover to a big contract a couple years ago as one of the best DT's in the league and that he has been playing and playing well for us. Clearly if we signed Ferguson to play as our NT in a 3-4 Glover must not be here anymore, as I have never heard his name mentioned once. Can a fellow Boys fan help me out?? WTF happened to Laroi Glover???
bigmike75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #203
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
The Bears sign OT Fred Miller to a 5 year deal.
Whew. LT was easily the worst position on that team last year. Except when Jonathan Quinn was playing.

edit: Stupid time stamp bug.

Last edited by mhass : 03-07-2005 at 03:38 PM.
mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #204
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Bears sign OT Fred Miller to a 5 year deal $22.5 million deal with a $6 mil signing bonus.

Pittsburgh resigns Jeff Reed to a 5 year $7.5 million deal.

Dolphins release David Boston.

Cardinals resign Troy Hambrick to a 2 year deal.

Last edited by TazFTW : 03-07-2005 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Updated Fred Miller's contract
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #205
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike75
I considered myself an avid Cowboys fan until I realized this... I was completely under the impression that we had signed Laroi Glover to a big contract a couple years ago as one of the best DT's in the league and that he has been playing and playing well for us. Clearly if we signed Ferguson to play as our NT in a 3-4 Glover must not be here anymore, as I have never heard his name mentioned once. Can a fellow Boys fan help me out?? WTF happened to Laroi Glover???

Glover is being moved to DE in the 3-4.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:53 PM   #206
Thomkal
Head Coach

Cards resign Hambrick? That can't be a good sign for the Henry trade.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:59 PM   #207
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
pure backup for injury purposes. why pay henry if youre not gonna use him?
Old 03-07-2005, 04:03 PM   #208
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
rolle signs with baltimore. for 6 years.

Details are 6 years, $30.5 million with an $11 mil signing bonus.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:10 PM   #209
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

dola

The Lions signs TE Marcus Pollard to a 3 year deal.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:16 PM   #210
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
dola

Was he Marlon or Tito?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 04:57 PM   #211
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
dola

Rumour out of Detroit also has the Lions signing safety Kennoy Kennedy to either a 3 or 5 year deal at around $14 million.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:15 PM   #212
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike75

The Cowboys are likely going to play some hybrid system of 4-3 and 3-4 this year because they don't have the personnel to play a full-time 3-4 (at least for now). In the 4-3, Glover and Ferguson will complement each other nicely as Ferguson will take up two blockers leaving Glover one-on-one inside. In the 3-4...in my opinion, it's not well-suited for Glover, but I hear he'll have an easier time transitioning to end in that scheme than Ellis would.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:27 PM   #213
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
The Cowboys are likely going to play some hybrid system of 4-3 and 3-4 this year because they don't have the personnel to play a full-time 3-4 (at least for now). In the 4-3, Glover and Ferguson will complement each other nicely as Ferguson will take up two blockers leaving Glover one-on-one inside. In the 3-4...in my opinion, it's not well-suited for Glover, but I hear he'll have an easier time transitioning to end in that scheme than Ellis would.

This was my understanding as well. I still don't like the idea, but it looks like they're dead set on trying it.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:41 PM   #214
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Kanoy Kennedy signs with Detroit

5 years at 14 mil with a 4.5 mil bonus.

Something along those lines
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:03 PM   #215
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Whew. LT was easily the worst position on that team last year. Except when Jonathan Quinn was playing.

When I read this my first thought was, how does Jonathan Quinn improve the play of the left tackle?
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:09 PM   #216
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

SovFFFFFFFFL has just reported that the Vikings have indeed come to terms with right tackle Thin Air. The deal is reportedly for 35 million dollars over 2 years. With some smartass cap management, the Vikings were able to make it so there is a 30 million dollar cap hit in 2005.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:13 PM   #217
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
When I read this my first thought was, how does Jonathan Quinn improve the play of the left tackle?

The better question is. How would Jonathan Quinn be any WORSE at left tackle?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:32 PM   #218
stevew
Hall Of Famer

When you sign the franchise tender, it means you have to show up at camp, right? Guess Rudi Johnson is all talk.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:34 PM   #219
MikeVic
Head Coach

I guess I haven't been following the Steelers' free agency at all. I didn't know that Bell was even a free agent. So they're not resigning him and Burress? Is there any chance of them going after anyone in free agency at all, or are they too close to the cap?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:35 PM   #220
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Also, the steelers re-signed impact CB Willie Williams.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:38 PM   #221
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Also, the steelers re-signed impact CB Willie Williams.

Since I couldn't catch all their games, and with the games I saw.. he seemed to be better than Dewayne. So is this sarcasm? Or is he actually serviceable?
Old 03-07-2005, 06:39 PM   #222
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
I guess I haven't been following the Steelers' free agency at all. I didn't know that Bell was even a free agent. So they're not resigning him and Burress? Is there any chance of them going after anyone in free agency at all, or are they too close to the cap?

Too close to cap to bring back Bell, besides, he hasnt been that great since his rookie year. They paid Foote a decent amount of money to be the starter next year. Whenever a guy flunks a physical, its never a good sign. It looks like they are trying to bring in some WR prospects, Niners WR Cedric Wilson being the first.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/nfl/steelers/rumors.html has a bunch of newspaper articles about the steelers, as well as other teams.

I would guess Burress is gonna sign with the Giants, we cant afford to keep him, not at the money he wants. But Burress hasn't been in much demand around the league, it would be nice(however unrealistic) to bring him back.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:40 PM   #223
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, I saw the Foote signing. He seemed to do well last year.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:44 PM   #224
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
Since I couldn't catch all their games, and with the games I saw.. he seemed to be better than Dewayne. So is this sarcasm? Or is he actually serviceable?

Oh, its a joke. I forgot the smiley. The only impact he had was with the ground in the AFC championship game when the Pats ran that WR screen right past him to score.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:46 PM   #225
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Oh, its a joke. I forgot the smiley. The only impact he had was with the ground in the AFC championship game when the Pats ran that WR screen right past him to score.

Aha.. is that the play where he slipped as he was getting ready to move forward?
Old 03-07-2005, 07:39 PM   #226
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Cardinals sign DE Chike Okeafor to a 5 year deal $25 million deal.

The backup for Eli Manning is now Jim Miller who signed a 1 year deal with the Giants.

Last edited by TazFTW : 03-07-2005 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Updated Chike's contract
Old 03-07-2005, 08:37 PM   #227
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Wow, big signing for Arizona. Anyone know if the Cards are close to signing LB Hartwell?
Old 03-07-2005, 09:18 PM   #228
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Last I heard Hartwell was going to visit Seattle, which probably means the Cardinals are not close or he wants them to up their offer.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:08 AM   #229
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Cardinals sign DE Chike Okeafor to a 5 year deal $25 million deal.

The backup for Eli Manning is now Jim Miller who signed a 1 year deal with the Giants.

Hmmmmmmm guess that locks up a D-line pick in the 1st round for the Seahawks, oh wait, we need a CB to replace Lucas, and OH YEAH we still need LB's.

Man, losing one of those two was bad, but expected, losing both is brutal. Hope Wistrom manages to stay healthy for a full season now :|
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:32 AM   #230
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the ny post is reporting Burress never showed up on Monday for his team visit. his agent called late and said plexico had the flu. but seriously, only 2 teams showed interest. the viking dropped out of the running, leaving only the giants. and you dont bother to show? id be surprised if he ended up in ny now.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:34 AM   #231
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

I hope Pollard has good health insurance...

I had the wierdest moment this morning (Monday.) I was in between snooze alarms and in my half drifting in and out of sleep I combined two sports stories. I actually woke up thinking "Why in the hell would Arizona sign Burress with the receivers they already have?"
Old 03-08-2005, 01:40 AM   #232
mckerney
Coordinator

Fred Jones and Fred Smoot are scheduled to visit Minnesota tomorrow, and Donovin Darius contacted the Star Tribune to say he wanted to be traded to the Vikings, though did the same with the Miami Herald saying he wants to go to the Dolphins.

Last edited by mckerney : 03-08-2005 at 01:44 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:28 AM   #233
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
the ny post is reporting Burress never showed up on Monday for his team visit. his agent called late and said plexico had the flu. but seriously, only 2 teams showed interest. the viking dropped out of the running, leaving only the giants. and you dont bother to show? id be surprised if he ended up in ny now.

I wonder if the Steelers have even made him an offer at all. I know we are up against the cap, but I'm willing to bet they could make it happen if they wanted to, probably all they'd need to do is "Cap out" a few guys. I'd like to have him back, if only for a year or 2 more, he seemed to be clicking with Ben last year when he was healthy. With his questionable personality i can't see him getting the huge bonus offer he may want.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:39 AM   #234
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Maybe Burress re-signs with Pittsburgh?

Anyway, the Bears signed RT Fred Miller from Tennessee (is there anyone left in Tennessee, by the way?) and will move John Tait to LT. I'm not sure about this, but who knows, it could work. Adds more speculation to the draft, though.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:17 AM   #235
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

That seems a little steep for Okeafor.

The Plaxico situation is weird, but I saw that the Vikings were interested in Rod Gardner.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:29 AM   #236
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
Maybe Burress re-signs with Pittsburgh?

Anyway, the Bears signed RT Fred Miller from Tennessee (is there anyone left in Tennessee, by the way?) and will move John Tait to LT. I'm not sure about this, but who knows, it could work. Adds more speculation to the draft, though.

I like the signing of Fred Miller, but if they're weren't willing to move Tait to LT last year when the LT was the great Qasim Mitchell, why is it a good idea this year? Watch out, Rex...

Does this mean the Bears are taking RB for sure with the #4 pick? That's what all the talking heads seem to think...
Old 03-08-2005, 09:31 AM   #237
General Mike
Pro Starter

Giants need Plaxico
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:43 AM   #238
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
Giants need Plaxico

Plaxico needs the Giants (or the Giants $$ anyways).

And speaking of the Pollard deal, if everyone on the Lions stays healthy and Joey can't get them the ball (w/ two potentially stud wideouts and a pass catching TE) ... then it's definitely time to say bye bye to Joey.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:47 AM   #239
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC23
Does this mean the Bears are taking RB for sure with the #4 pick? That's what all the talking heads seem to think...

I hope not. Thomas Jones is perfectly fine. Given that he was running against stacked fronts (since the Bears couldn't pass) last year, he did pretty well. And Thomas showed flashes and continues to be a fine "change-of-pace" back to Jones.

At this point I'd say draft a WR to complement Muhammad, or trade down.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:49 AM   #240
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ologist
Is Freddy Mitchell still with the Eagles or was he released? I can't imagine why he hasn't cracked the bank yet if he was released.

*insert laughing smile*
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:50 AM   #241
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Is Freddy Mitchell still with the Eagles or was he released? I can't imagine why he hasn't cracked the bank yet if he was released.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:55 AM   #242
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
And Thomas showed flashes and continues to be a fine "change-of-pace" back to Jones.

I don't think they want A. Thomas back. I've heard he got a cooler reception on the market than he expected, but even at reduced prices, the Bears want one of the Auburn backs. But I agree, Jones and Thomas are solid, proven backs that are just fine with me. With Miller, they need to address Rex Tucker's spot (Reuben Brown too for that matter) and the secondary. I'm not a fan of Mike Green, Jerry Azumah or RW McQuarters. Tillman and Brown are the only keepers back there.

Old 03-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #243
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
That seems a little steep for Okeafor.

I agree, but according to the Seattle PI the Seahawks were offering similar money.

Latest talk has CB Andre Dyson in town for a visit and DE Bryce Fisher to arrive today as potential replacements for Ken Lucas and Chike Okeafor. Also, Jeff Garcia is holding off signing with Denver until he has a chance to talk to Mike Holmgren about the Seattle situation, and RB Anthony Thomas and FB Fred McCrary are set to visit the Seahawks later this week.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:01 PM   #244
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Browns sign OG Cosey Coleman to a 2 year deal.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:06 PM   #245
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Browns sign OG Cosey Coleman to a 2 year deal.

Would have liked the Bears to pick him up and dump Tucker. Ah well.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:35 PM   #246
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

From what I've read, the Steelers weren't interested in bringing Plexico back.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:36 PM   #247
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Pittsburgh signs Niners WR Cedric Wilson
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2007926
Old 03-08-2005, 01:37 PM   #248
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

More importantly I guess? Plaxico won't be going back to the Steelers because of this move.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:41 PM   #249
Swaggs
Coordinator

Any Niners fans have an opinion on Cedric Wilson?

I don't believe I have ever heard of him before this signing and his size/speed make it sound like he is a Randle El clone--more quick and agile than downfield speedy. I was kind of hoping the Steelers could find some contrasting talent in FA and the draft, along the lines of one tall/possession type and one deep threat to go with Hines Ward and Randle El.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:57 PM   #250
Pyser
Pro Rookie

kendrell bell to kc for 7 years.