Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-11-2007, 09:09 AM   #201
Kodos
Resident Alien

But wouldn't you prefer just one camera view that you didn't even get to choose?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:53 PM   #202
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

One of the things that make this game great is that it does so many of the little things well...

For example, I've been mostly scouting US college players and it takes 5-7 days. Now, I just my scouts to look at a guy in Mexico and it is going to take 10 days. A guy in Croatia is going to take 13 days. A very nice little touch.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-11-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #203
sooner333
College Starter

Just got the game. Played on default sliders on Pro level and played a pretty good game. The cool thing was that Chris Paul was in foul trouble for most of the game and sat out. When he came back in the fourth, you could tell that he was a lot more rested and quicker than the other guys on the court and dominated the fourth quarter.

This game is the first one that I've seen do screens and getting around them really well. It's just fun to see a game so true to the game.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:37 AM   #204
heybrad
Norm!!!

I'm looking forward to getting back to my Association tonight with the Lakers. I was 4-3 when leaving for this god awful trip from Costa Mesa to Louisville to Memphis, back to Louisville and finally going home tonight.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #205
Galaxy
Coordinator

Anyone do or see a 3 way trade yet? It's cool the game has contract options (both team and player?).
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:07 AM   #206
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Anyone do or see a 3 way trade yet? It's cool the game has contract options (both team and player?).

I mentioned it in my dynasty thread, but it is worth posting here as well. Yep, the options are for both teams or player depending upon how the contract is structured. Also, you can put a no trade clause in the contract. Player options and no trade clauses make a guy more likely to sign with your team.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #207
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I mentioned it in my dynasty thread, but it is worth posting here as well. Yep, the options are for both teams or player depending upon how the contract is structured. Also, you can put a no trade clause in the contract. Player options and no trade clauses make a guy more likely to sign with your team.

Amazing. All this game needs is an online franchise mode.

Here the lastest on the college game on 2k's website:
http://www.2ksports.com/games/choops2k8/

Can you go online and get roster updates with the real names of the players?
Old 10-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #208
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Amazing. All this game needs is an online franchise mode.

Here the lastest on the college game on 2k's website:
http://www.2ksports.com/games/choops2k8/

Can you go online and get roster updates with the real names of the players?

Yes, and for the first time ever, a transfer kit will not be needed for the 360. 2ksports will allow the exchanging of roster files, saves, etc through their online service, reportedly.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:51 PM   #209
Ironhead
College Prospect

Alright, I caved and bought this today. Been several years since I followed basketball so I will have to learn who all the good players are. Probably going to start up an association with the Magic.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:21 PM   #210
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes, and for the first time ever, a transfer kit will not be needed for the 360. 2ksports will allow the exchanging of roster files, saves, etc through their online service, reportedly.

Take note EA Sports.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-13-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #211
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
One of the things that make this game great is that it does so many of the little things well...

For example, I've been mostly scouting US college players and it takes 5-7 days. Now, I just my scouts to look at a guy in Mexico and it is going to take 10 days. A guy in Croatia is going to take 13 days. A very nice little touch.

Can you scout a player more than once? I wonder if you scout him more, the more information you get and the lower your scouting error is (in connection with the talents of your scouting staff). You assign an individual scout to each player, correct?
Old 10-13-2007, 08:30 PM   #212
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Can you scout a player more than once? I wonder if you scout him more, the more information you get and the lower your scouting error is (in connection with the talents of your scouting staff). You assign an individual scout to each player, correct?

Yes, I think you can scout a player up to 5 times. I'm scouting most of mine 3 times right now and if I've scouted everyone I want, then I'll start doing more times with guys I'm most interested in. Yes, it reveals a bit more info each time you scout a player. And, yes, you assign a scout to each player. You can send one scout one time, and a different scout the next time.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #213
Ironhead
College Prospect

If I don't take the time between games to run practices and do the other coach options will I be missing out on the chance to significantly improve my team?

Enjoying the game so far - surprisingly won my first three games but I haven't faced any really good teams yet.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #214
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
If I don't take the time between games to run practices and do the other coach options will I be missing out on the chance to significantly improve my team?

Enjoying the game so far - surprisingly won my first three games but I haven't faced any really good teams yet.

I would probably do the development drills each month as they only take a few minutes and they can give modest permeant boosts to players if you can successfully complete the drills which can be challenging to do. The practices you don't actually run, you just tell them to run. They give slight boosts or moderate boosts to different attributes depending upon what drills you choose to do and what intensity you choose to run. Higher intensity practices lead to more injuries and fatigue on game days. I tend to just choose light intensity practices and set them up 2 or 3 times a week depending upon the number of games that week. It only takes a second to set up.

Edit: The Magic are one of the best teams in my association. You have two star young players in Dwight Howard and Rashard Lewis and a lot of good roleplayers around them.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-14-2007 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:39 PM   #215
Ironhead
College Prospect

Thanks Eaglesfan27. I would have probably avoided doing them but like you said they went by pretty quickly.

Just played the Suns. I was whipping them 96-71 through 3 quarters on some really hot shooting by Lewis. I was starting to think maybe it was time to bump the difficulty level up to All-Star but then the Suns woke up in the 4th quarter. I only held on to win 109-106.

Are you still playing on Pro?
Old 10-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #216
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks Eaglesfan27. I would have probably avoided doing them but like you said they went by pretty quickly.

Just played the Suns. I was whipping them 96-71 through 3 quarters on some really hot shooting by Lewis. I was starting to think maybe it was time to bump the difficulty level up to All-Star but then the Suns woke up in the 4th quarter. I only held on to win 109-106.

Are you still playing on Pro?

Yeah, pro is challenging me still. I've thought of bumping to All-Star when we've played a few teams close that we probably shouldn't have, but I'm still getting blown out on this level by very good teams and playing a lot of close games. I'll probably bump to All-Star as I get a bit better but not yet.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:28 PM   #217
Ironhead
College Prospect

Is it just me or does it seem like some of the starters on the CPU teams aren't getting enough PT? I have had several games in a row where star players that weren't in foul trouble and have great stamina are only playing 25-30 minutes a game.

Howard just had an impressive showing against the Celtics. He pulled down 24 boards, 13 on offense and added 30 points.

Last edited by Ironhead : 10-14-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:35 PM   #218
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is it just me or does it seem like some of the starters on the CPU teams aren't getting enough PT? I have had several games in a row where star players that weren't in foul trouble and have great stamina are only playing 25-30 minutes a game.

Howard just had an impressive showing against the Celtics. He pulled down 24 boards, 13 on offense and added 30 points.

I've seen a few games like that, but most of the teams seem to play their stars 30-35 minutes against me and I've had a few play about 40. Big men definitely seem to fatigue quicker (even if they have high stamina) and seem to play a bit less.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:21 AM   #219
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:
Alright, I caved and bought this today. Been several years since I followed basketball so I will have to learn who all the good players are. Probably going to start up an association with the Magic.

You know that they know no longer have Penny and Shaq right?
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #220
SunDevil
College Prospect

dola,

That joke would have been funny a couple of days ago, but since I was gone this weekend....
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:24 AM   #221
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post

Oh, if you want Penny and Shaq, use Miami instead. They just moved to another Florida team, no worries.

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:03 PM   #222
markprior22
High School Varsity

Hey EF27, now that you've been playing for a while, what type of slider settings did you settle on?
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:04 PM   #223
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post

Heh, it's been a while but not that long. If I had not had a briefly renewed interest in the NBA a couple of years ago it probably would have been though.

Anyone on the 360 up for some online play this week?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:08 PM   #224
Anthony
Banned

i'll battle you. 11pm tonite, give or take 30 minutes.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #225
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
Hey EF27, now that you've been playing for a while, what type of slider settings did you settle on?

I'm playing on Pro and was blown out by the Lakers last night, so it is still challenging.

For both sides:

Close shooting down 2 to 48. Medium shooting down 1 to 49. Dunks in traffic down to 25. Clutch down to 25 for both sides. Steal success up to 70 for both sides (and I might increase this a bit more.) No other changes that I recall for gameplay. For fouls, charge up to 100. All other fouls up to 80. Game speed down to 40. I'm playing on 12 minute quarters and getting realistic scores and stats for the most part.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #226
markprior22
High School Varsity

Thanks
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:03 PM   #227
Galaxy
Coordinator

Does the game have all the exceptions and sign-and-trade deals? Can anyone explain a traded player exception to me? I though you can trade a big player for players (with much smaller salaries) or straight up draft picks as along as both teams remain under the cap? Basically, does the game have all the rules and luxury tax of the real system?

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-15-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:37 AM   #228
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Does the game have all the exceptions and sign-and-trade deals? Can anyone explain a traded player exception to me? I though you can trade a big player for players (with much smaller salaries) or straight up draft picks as along as both teams remain under the cap? Basically, does the game have all the rules and luxury tax of the real system?

I'm not sure if it has all of the exceptions since I don't understand all of those rules myself. I know that if a team is over the cap, it seems to follow the rules for valid trades in which I believe the salaries have to be within 10% of each other. It also has the luxury tax as part of the expenses of a team, if they meet that threshold.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:40 AM   #229
Icy
Pro Starter

Finally got he game!! The wait and this thread have been killing me, but it was fnially today in my mail box, good bye real life!

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #230
korme
Go Reds

Would this game be worth it for the measely PS2? I am itching to play some bball.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:34 AM   #231
Terps
College Prospect

Just played my best game yet against the Nets in my association, and it was in a losing effort. I was down by as many as 18 at one point, before slowly clawing back and tying it in the 4th. With less than 2 minutes left I was down 98-93, inbound to Arenas (40 points, 9 boards, 9 assists, he singlehandly brought me back in this game), nail a 3 to cut it to 98-96. We intercept the inbound with less than 20 seconds left, but I wasn't expecting it and my shot misses the mark. We foul Kidd and he makes one to make it 99-96. One last chance for us, inbound to Arenas (who else?), launches up a 3 that goes in and out. Nets win 101-96.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:08 AM   #232
Icy
Pro Starter

What level are you plays playing it at? I tried "All star" and lost by 25 points, then when i was going to go down to "Pro", i read in OPS forums that the game plays great in HOF with adjusted sliders, that HOF looks easier and more realistic than "All star or Superstar", I tried it and wow, amazing game. I was Memphis and lost by 3 vs Indiana (yeah i know they suck, but O'Neal burned me) in a really close game, i think i'm going to start my franchise with these settings.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:19 AM   #233
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Would this game be worth it for the measely PS2? I am itching to play some bball.

I've heard that the PS2 version is very similar to previous versions. That being said, if you haven't played this series for 2 or 3 years, it is probably worth it. It just won't have all of the features that the 360/PS3 versions have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
What level are you plays playing it at? I tried "All star" and lost by 25 points, then when i was going to go down to "Pro", i read in OPS forums that the game plays great in HOF with adjusted sliders, that HOF looks easier and more realistic than "All star or Superstar", I tried it and wow, amazing game. I was Memphis and lost by 3 vs Indiana (yeah i know they suck, but O'Neal burned me) in a really close game, i think i'm going to start my franchise with these settings.

I'm just sticking to Pro because that is playing a realistic game without adjusting sliders except for slight tweaks. Also, from what I've read HOF mode makes the fast break almost non-existant. At pro level, the fast break still isn't easy, but I see a few a game at least.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:24 AM   #234
Anthony
Banned

Pro is all i need. i'm in a 3 game slide, so its not like i'm abusing it. Knicks still got a lot to work to do.

right now i'm befuddled as to why my starters are so fatigued. i thought i was doing a good job of subbing in my bench players. guess this accurately reflects how as the season goes on you just start to break down and tire.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:51 PM   #235
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
Pro is all i need. i'm in a 3 game slide, so its not like i'm abusing it. Knicks still got a lot to work to do.

right now i'm befuddled as to why my starters are so fatigued. i thought i was doing a good job of subbing in my bench players. guess this accurately reflects how as the season goes on you just start to break down and tire.

Doesn't your practice and scheduling (if you back-to-back games, ect.) have a role in that?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:04 PM   #236
korme
Go Reds

On All-Star for PS2, I'm murdering teams with regular sliders... it's too easy to drive to the hole.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #237
Terps
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post

I'm on All-Star. It's working out pretty well with stats and shooting percentages. That game I was talking about against the Nets we both shot 43%.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:13 PM   #238
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
On All-Star for PS2, I'm murdering teams with regular sliders... it's too easy to drive to the hole.

Yeah, I think you are going to need some PS2 specific sliders. The game engine has evolved a great deal on the 360/PS3 and sliders are going to be much different.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #239
Ironhead
College Prospect

Still having a blast playing my association. I had to bump up the rebounding sliders for the CPU though as I was pulling down too many on both offense and defense and the CPU wasn't pulling down enough offensive boards.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #240
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Doesn't your practice and scheduling (if you back-to-back games, ect.) have a role in that?

i think you're right. i run practices on every day we don't play a game. it just dawned on me right now i can give the players a day to recoup by not scheduling a practice. i'll try that.

i do know that i concentrate on Kwame Brown a lot in my practices, and his play has been significantly better. still not worth his contract, but if you're gonna use him off your bench he's really fast for his height and it probably wouldn't take much to get him from the Lakers.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:41 PM   #241
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
i think you're right. i run practices on every day we don't play a game. it just dawned on me right now i can give the players a day to recoup by not scheduling a practice. i'll try that.

i do know that i concentrate on Kwame Brown a lot in my practices, and his play has been significantly better. still not worth his contract, but if you're gonna use him off your bench he's really fast for his height and it probably wouldn't take much to get him from the Lakers.

Have you tried it yet? I wonder if length of a quarter will adjust the "fatigue" level.

Anyone see any blockbuster deals yet?
Old 10-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #242
Ironhead
College Prospect

Don't know if Howard can do this in real life but damn was it fun.

Last edited by Ironhead : 10-28-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:04 PM   #243
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Nice play, Ironhead! I've thought about posting a few of the alley-oops that Iguodala has finished in the dynasty thread.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #244
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Gamefly needs to hurry up and send me this game.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #245
Johnny93g
College Starter

rented the game and played against my buddy. 12 minute quarters. Very fun, realistic stats. I just can't play 90 minute games. It takes too long. Ill have time to play one game a week. I will have to pass. Other then that, it's a great game.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:23 PM   #246
Ironhead
College Prospect

My favorite name of any prospect for the draft: Herb Gardner.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:59 PM   #247
Terps
College Prospect

Old 11-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #248
Anthony
Banned

how do you upload those videos? that's awesome.

how do you do alleyoops, too?

and btw, i literally spent an hour last nite trying to pull off a 3 way trade with the Lakers to aquire Kobe Bryant. not happening. between making the finances work and getting a 3rd team enough to make it worth their time, just too friggin hard. i wound up with the 2nd overall pick in the draft, and i couldn't not draft a 7'1" center. he was so fast when i played him during the draft workouts, truly the kind of guy you want to be the rock of your team. really needed a PG, but you can get PGs anytime, superior athletic 7'1" Centers...not so much. so now Eddie Curry is expendable. i'm also trying to just get under the cap cuz it's no fun not being able to participate in free agency. but Lakers were being pricks and i just couldn't get the pieces to work. but it is really fun trying to work out all these scenarios. i'm still gonna try, i need to have Kobe on my team.

i thought you could renogotiate with players and have their salaries add on to your cap? i wasn't able to resign Kwame Brown (i developed him into a stellar backup Center) cuz his contract expired, but i thought the Larry Bird rule let you go further over the cap to keep your own guys.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #249
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
how do you upload those videos? that's awesome.

I'm not sure since I've haven't done it, but I know it involves the Reel Maker tool.

how do you do alleyoops, too?

Left Trigger plus A and players have to be in the right position. Left trigger plus A will also throw it off the backboard sometimes for a guy who has a breakaway, but the one blowout I tried that in he missed it.

i thought you could renogotiate with players and have their salaries add on to your cap? i wasn't able to resign Kwame Brown (i developed him into a stellar backup Center) cuz his contract expired, but i thought the Larry Bird rule let you go further over the cap to keep your own guys.

Players have to have a certain number of years with a team. I can't recall the exact number right now. You can click on a player's card and go the contract details to see if he is eligible for a Bird extension.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #250
Anthony
Banned

thanks for the 411.

dammit, had i known that i woulda traded Kwame Brown at the trade deadline. he went from a 66/67 to a 73, from a bum to a guy who could finish around the basket. best game was when he scored 19 off the bench.

Kobe is gonna wind up on my team tonite, i'm not budging until it happens. and when it does i'm winning 2 out of the next 3 championships. fwiw, trading in this game is ultra realistic. i have to work for every single trade i make.

Last edited by Anthony : 11-01-2007 at 11:26 AM.