Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2004, 07:27 AM   #201
ohio8
n00b

Is there a mod forum over at SI? I don't see any user made roster changes or arena name changes. Are there other web sites that people are posting these to? Thanks.
ohio8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 07:49 AM   #202
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

People are still trying to figure out how to mod the game.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:35 AM   #203
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
This is how it has always been in the CM series so I would assume it remains this way in NHL EHM. Maybe there is a way to give instructions to each line separately?
If this is the case, then it's... well, not a bug, but a very poor design decision.

From what little I know of soccer, this approach would make sense. But in hockey, the lines changes all the time. Guys move from one line to another every game. Assuming the "orders" actually do anything, it's going to be a tremendous pain to have to adjust them all the time.

Bottom line is that a hockey coach doesn't sit around thinking "Our first line winger, whoever that might happen to be, should play a power game, shoot often and fight when necessary".
Old 07-06-2004, 08:45 AM   #204
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
If this is the case, then it's... well, not a bug, but a very poor design decision.

From what little I know of soccer, this approach would make sense. But in hockey, the lines changes all the time. Guys move from one line to another every game. Assuming the "orders" actually do anything, it's going to be a tremendous pain to have to adjust them all the time.

Bottom line is that a hockey coach doesn't sit around thinking "Our first line winger, whoever that might happen to be, should play a power game, shoot often and fight when necessary".

Hmmm, I'm not sure about that. I see advantages to both.

Let's take Owen Nolan. He's a power forward. He can hit and he can score. If you have him on your first line, maybe you want him to hit less and look for more of an oppurtunity to make a play. Then you have your team up by a couple of goals. So drop Nolan down to the third line, where he's going to look for the hit and try to seperate the guy from the puck. Then you can move the soft scorer that you placed on the third line wing up to the first line, where all of your cream puffs are. They keep trying to score while Nolan cheap shots people back to the stone age!
Old 07-06-2004, 09:00 AM   #205
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Let's take Owen Nolan. He's a power forward. He can hit and he can score. If you have him on your first line, maybe you want him to hit less and look for more of an oppurtunity to make a play. Then you have your team up by a couple of goals. So drop Nolan down to the third line, where he's going to look for the hit and try to seperate the guy from the puck. Then you can move the soft scorer that you placed on the third line wing up to the first line, where all of your cream puffs are. They keep trying to score while Nolan cheap shots people back to the stone age!
I just don't see it. Don't get me wrong, if that's the way it works then we can adjust to it. It just strikes me as very counter-intuitive. Players have their own styles, and most guys simply can't play every style of game. Since we already give each line a general style of play, it just seems odd to further break it down by position while ignoring the actual players.

I mean, imagine the Oilers of the late-80's with Gretzky and Messier as their top centers. If Gretzky gets hurt for a game and Messier moves to the top line, does he bring his playing style with him or does he suddenly try to float around the perimeter and make feather passes?
Old 07-06-2004, 09:33 AM   #206
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

No, but thankfully the options aren't THAT detailed.

Messier would need to change his playing style if he moved up to the first line. He would be expected to create more scoring chances than he would as second line center, right?
Old 07-06-2004, 09:39 AM   #207
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Messier would need to change his playing style if he moved up to the first line. He would be expected to create more scoring chances than he would as second line center, right?
Well exactly. He'd have to change his playing style. We think of playing styles in terms of players, not positions.

It just seems bizarre to imagine a coach telling his team in the pre-season "Listen up guys, here's the team strategy. Whoever is the second-line right winger is not allowed to fight! And whoever's on the third defense pairing, the left guy better shoot and the right guy better pass! I'm serious about this, write it down!"
Old 07-06-2004, 09:57 AM   #208
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

It does seem wierd! I agree with you there, but from a game standpoint, I think it's easier to deal with this way. I can see where you are coming from, though.

I just wouldn't want to have tried to code it your way!
Old 07-06-2004, 11:12 AM   #209
Swaggs
Coordinator

Minor disappointement here. It appears that "staff" personnel will remain at their designated position (ie: GM, Head Coach, Assistant Coach), even if you offer them several times their current or desired salary and a more prestigious position.

I attempted to replace my head coach with one of my assistant coaches by quadrupling his salary and he declined, advising that "he was not interested in renegotiating right now." I have had similar experiences with "FA" personnel.

This is a bummer for the hands off type GM, like me. I was hoping to groom former players into Asst. Coaches and then potentially Head Coaches.

Is this just something I have not tried enough, or can someone else confirm or deny this (perhaps based on CM experience)?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:17 AM   #210
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Can you release them and then hire them to the new position?
Old 07-06-2004, 11:20 AM   #211
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Minor disappointement here. It appears that "staff" personnel will remain at their designated position (ie: GM, Head Coach, Assistant Coach), even if you offer them several times their current or desired salary and a more prestigious position.

I attempted to replace my head coach with one of my assistant coaches by quadrupling his salary and he declined, advising that "he was not interested in renegotiating right now." I have had similar experiences with "FA" personnel.

This is a bummer for the hands off type GM, like me. I was hoping to groom former players into Asst. Coaches and then potentially Head Coaches.

Is this just something I have not tried enough, or can someone else confirm or deny this (perhaps based on CM experience)?

In CM I thought you could just re-assign them without having to offer them a new contract...I could be wrong though.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:21 AM   #212
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I have heard there are problems with the staff that are a bit more pervasive than this. Reading the SI boards, people are having trouble re-signing or keeping staff at all. Sounds like something that needs to be fixed in a patch.

From my CM experience it's always been pretty easy to hire coaches to take the role of assistant managers or players to the role of coaches, etc. I would have to think the one of the highlights for any fan of hockey who play the game would be able to see Steve Yzerman retire (perhaps with one more Cup!) and then hire him on as a coach.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:24 AM   #213
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I would have to think the one of the highlights for any fan of hockey who play the game would be able to see Steve Yzerman retire (perhaps with one more Cup!) and then hire him on as a coach.

That would be cool(minus the one more cup thing)
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:28 AM   #214
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
That would be cool(minus the one more cup thing)

I reckon it's not something you'd have to worry about, J-man. As soon as you start any sort of dynasty the Wings immediately become the worst team in the NHL. It makes me sad and unhappy.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:35 AM   #215
Swaggs
Coordinator

How is everyone else scouting?

I have been assigning my scouts (roughly 8-10) to all the hotbed areas (Scandanavia, Czech Republic, the 3 different European regions, Canada, U.S., and Russia) and then saving one for next opponent, and one for youth players. I did hire a Japanese speaking scout to look at Asia and he found no worthy players. Anyone have any clues on how to utilize them more effectively?

I basically just keep in-game notes on the players based on the scouts' assessments.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:55 AM   #216
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I reckon it's not something you'd have to worry about, J-man. As soon as you start any sort of dynasty the Wings immediately become the worst team in the NHL. It makes me sad and unhappy.

Well, I figured 3 is enough...dont wanta look too greedy now....share with your original 6 brothers
TML
Old 07-06-2004, 11:57 AM   #217
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
How is everyone else scouting?

I have been assigning my scouts (roughly 8-10) to all the hotbed areas (Scandanavia, Czech Republic, the 3 different European regions, Canada, U.S., and Russia) and then saving one for next opponent, and one for youth players. I did hire a Japanese speaking scout to look at Asia and he found no worthy players. Anyone have any clues on how to utilize them more effectively?

I basically just keep in-game notes on the players based on the scouts' assessments.

I save the reports, especially the big ones, then load them up and look at them when I want someone from a particular area.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:58 PM   #218
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I save the reports, especially the big ones, then load them up and look at them when I want someone from a particular area.

Is there an easy, in-game way to do that?
Old 07-06-2004, 01:13 PM   #219
condors
College Starter

its not in front of me but when he completes his search you can save it before you start a new one there is a save search as option if you click on the top left thingy(technical term)
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:27 PM   #220
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by condors
its not in front of me but when he completes his search you can save it before you start a new one there is a save search as option if you click on the top left thingy(technical term)

What he said.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:48 PM   #221
FargoFreez aka fof playa
Banned

http://community.sigames.com/eve/ubb...25&m=355204253
FargoFreez aka fof playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 02:52 PM   #222
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Whoa.

Shhhhhhh.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:56 PM   #223
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Um... interesting.

What "extras"?
Old 07-06-2004, 03:16 PM   #224
Karim
College Starter

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Put "I_DONT_KNOW" in the config an you'll have real AHL teams and players. Real arenas, real team names all over!

(Thanks to Salo's work at the SI boards).

Last edited by Karim : 07-06-2004 at 03:25 PM.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:17 PM   #225
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I don't get the "arse" mode part...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:19 PM   #226
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Code Red!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:21 PM   #227
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
I don't get the "arse" mode part...
It's from CM. Things that would never be included due to licensing (blood, giving the finger to the crowd, scout says so-and-so is a lazy bastard, etc.) can be activated with the Arse command. In this case it isn't "Arse" and it still unclear but the AHL, player names and arenas are available!

Hopefully a new patch won't disable this feature though...

Last edited by Karim : 07-06-2004 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:23 PM   #228
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
... the Arse command.
I for one will not be buying the game until they remove these European phrases. It should be called "ass" mode.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:25 PM   #229
Karim
College Starter

The software isn't allowing me to edit my post. You'll also have to put "DEBUG_MODE" on a seperate line as well.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:27 PM   #230
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

so will this DEBUG_MODE have any negative effects? I thought I saw someone mention they could see the ratings of their chairman and such... I want all the AHL stuff but I don't want to cheat at all.

Also Karim, how come you would want a patch to disable the feature??
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 07-06-2004, 03:32 PM   #231
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
so will this DEBUG_MODE have any negative effects? I thought I saw someone mention they could see the ratings of their chairman and such... I want all the AHL stuff but I don't want to cheat at all.

Also Karim, how come you would want a patch to disable the feature??

You can also see chairman stats but I don't think that's cheating. You'll just know if he's a tightwad or not.

I miss-typed above. I definitely want real AHL teams, players and arena names.

There was a concern over at the SI boards that SI may disable this in the first patch due to licensing.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:37 PM   #232
Simms
FOBL Commish

If such codes were common practice in CM, and FIFA never raised a stink about it, what is the likelihood that the NHL/AHL would now? Is there any way SI could be legally covered in circumstances like this?

Not trying to be combative...I'm genuinely curious.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:38 PM   #233
Karim
College Starter

Some NA people are getting their copy in the mail today -- one guy in Edmonton and one guy in PA ordered from Gameplay on June 28th and has received his copy.

I ordered from Special Reserve on June 6th and it's still on "backorder". I think I'll be lucky to get it by the end of July. I had no problems with them for 3 versions of CM...
Old 07-06-2004, 03:47 PM   #234
Hurst2112
College Starter

They're safe from guys like me who don't have a clue how to enter such text and alter such files.

Still, sounds like a cool thing (AHL teams and stuff).
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:15 PM   #235
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:

Put "I_DONT_KNOW" in the config an you'll have real AHL teams and players. Real arenas, real team names all over!

Ok, because im a computer idiot, I have no idea where to do this...can someone walk me through it, and is the arse code for CM, or EHM FM...

Thanks
TML
Old 07-06-2004, 04:25 PM   #236
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Wow that link already doesn't work. Lets just hope no one from the AHL reads this innocent little football forum
Old 07-06-2004, 04:33 PM   #237
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Some NA people are getting their copy in the mail today -- one guy in Edmonton and one guy in PA ordered from Gameplay on June 28th and has received his copy.

I ordered from Special Reserve on June 6th and it's still on "backorder". I think I'll be lucky to get it by the end of July. I had no problems with them for 3 versions of CM...

Can you cancel your backorder? I just noticed that GoGamer has it up on their site now (it says Import $44.90). I know they've carried CM since CM4 and they have some pretty quick shipping. You could probably have the game by the end of the week!

I, of course, ordered from Gameplay, but because I live on the west coast, I'm still waiting for mine. It is good news that the east coast guys are starting to get theirs though. I'll keep an eye on my mailbox.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:52 PM   #238
MrIllini
High School Varsity

anyone know exactly how to apply the cookie above? is it a command switch, or something in game?
Old 07-06-2004, 05:02 PM   #239
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Can you do this AFTER you started your career? Meaning - I have already started a career with the Blues, if I use this cookie in the config, will the changes work with a career in progress?

Thanks,

I'll check over at SI as well.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 05:45 PM   #240
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Can you do this AFTER you started your career? Meaning - I have already started a career with the Blues, if I use this cookie in the config, will the changes work with a career in progress?

Thanks,

I'll check over at SI as well.

Todd

No, the config file is only used when creating a career. You have to start over (I just started over as well)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:03 PM   #241
Karim
College Starter

Let us know if it works. JeffR at the SI boards also hinted there were other extras included as well.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:14 PM   #242
Hurst2112
College Starter

Ok, I got the I_DONT_KNOW thing to work.

Remind you, I am not smart and don't suggest doing what I did if you aren't as dumb as I am.

I just opened up the extra_config.cfg file with notepad. You have to de-select the read only box in the properties.

Once you are in the file via notepad, just type:

"I_DONT_KNOW"

I am not sure if you need the quotes but it looked like it needed it.

After that, I just started a new career and looked at the Redwings minor league teams. The Grand Rapids Griffins and Toledo Storm were my minor league teams.

Also, Joe Louis Arena is now the home stadium. I will report anything else I find.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:21 PM   #243
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112

Remind you, I am not smart and don't suggest doing what I did if you aren't as dumb as I am.

I just opened up the extra_config.cfg file with notepad. You have to de-select the read only box in the properties.

"I_DONT_KNOW"

After that, I just started a new career and looked at the Redwings minor league teams. The Grand Rapids Griffins and Toledo Storm were my minor league teams.

Also, Joe Louis Arena is now the home stadium. I will report anything else I find.

Thanks very much....I wish i would of known this before starting my dynasty....GRRRRR
TML
Old 07-06-2004, 06:29 PM   #244
MrIllini
High School Varsity

anyone tried to use this after a career was started? any chance it'd work?
Old 07-06-2004, 06:54 PM   #245
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I can confirm that it does not work after a career is started. You have to start a new career to see the effects.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 07:11 PM   #246
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I can confirm that it does not work after a career is started. You have to start a new career to see the effects.

That flat out sucks!

Thanks for the information.. I knew I should have waited for about a month until I started a career. I usually do that with games, because I know either a patch will come out or some things will be explained better.

Oh well... I might just toy with this career until I figure everything out, then start a new one. Although that sort of kills my dynasty write up I have started thus far. (hey, I played 4 exhibition games!)

Damn...

Todd
Old 07-06-2004, 07:13 PM   #247
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

"I_DONT_KNOW"

dola,

Any specific place you put this line?

ALSO - are most of you guys using the "fog of war" option, meaning ratings of lesser known players are hidden unless you scout them? I was wondering why some players were missing ratings, then I figured out this was the reason. No wonder I never paid attention in school. However, I do like this option.

Todd
Old 07-06-2004, 07:30 PM   #248
Hurst2112
College Starter

I just went to the end of all the text already in the file.

I put my cursor on the last line and hit return. The next line was where I put the info.

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 07-06-2004 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:34 PM   #249
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just went to the end of all the text already in the file.

I put my cursor on the last line and hit return. The next line was where I put the info.

Ok, thanks.. that's what I did. It's just taking a long time to go through player histories when setting up the game.

Todd
Old 07-06-2004, 07:49 PM   #250
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

dola,

Works like a charm. I'm hoping a roster update will be included in the next patch.

I'm getting back into my ootp dynasty until the quirks get worked out of this game. I just had my second crash.

It's been an addicing game, so I'm hopeful a few minor things will be addressed.

Todd