Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-21-2008, 02:40 PM   #201
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Jesus Christ, the Russians can shoot - the guy's taken 3 shots from 35 yards out, and all have been nasty.

We havent even seen a shot from Roman Pavlyuchenko, who IMO, is the hardest pure striker in the tournament. Keep an eye out in the 2nd half for him to crank one.

DT - If that late shot was taken instead of just blasted he couldnt have saved it. This Russian GK will be in net for the next 2-3 World Cups and looks very solid.

What else can you say about the MAN U guy on the other side of the pitch. One of the best in the world.

Great first half, expect to see some scoring in the second. The Dutch will mark on a set piece at some point. Tempted to play them at plus money but its still regular vig at the half.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #202
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Akinfeev is VERY solid. He ought to be starting for one of the big sides in Europe (AC Milan?) before too long when one of the old-guard GK's retires.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #203
Easy Mac

are we getting some extra soccer again?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #204
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

WTF? Withdrawing the Yellow Card? THat's BS!
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #205
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Dola, it wasn't a foul, but that looks awful.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #206
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Made the right call for the wrong reasons. Much like the first yellow Kolodin received, that was going to be a horribly bullshit call.

I think he pulled the yellow before realizing who it was, then got his lineman to lie about the ball being out of play in order to bail himself out.

In the end, the right decision. BUt this ref has made soem very suspect calls.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #207
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Letting the profits ride

NETHERLANDS TO QUALIFY after regulation time

Old 06-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #208
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

What a shot....
Old 06-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #209
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Made the right call for the wrong reasons. Much like the first yellow Kolodin received, that was going to be a horribly bullshit call.

I think he pulled the yellow before realizing who it was, then got his lineman to lie about the ball being out of play in order to bail himself out.

In the end, the right decision. BUt this ref has made soem very suspect calls.

Aye, I agree in the end.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #210
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wow - kudos to Russia - I really didn't see that as a possible result!

but the Dutchies just looked...flat.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #211
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Congrats to Russia, impressive performance against an emotional demotivated Oranje. Back onto the Hiddink bandwagon we go.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #212
ColtCrazy
College Starter

errrr, why did I back the Dutch? Why do they tease me so? GG by Russia, they just looked so energized. I'm pulling for them against who ever wins the Whiner game tomorrow. German should handle Turkey...I can't imagine they have a lot left in the tank.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #213
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Dola - So how many people are playing FM now looking for cheap Russians to bring to their team?
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #214
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

lol - if I wasn't in 2026 maybe

idk...i think i'm done betting against Russia or Turkey getting "handled." It seems like they're getting all the bounces and all the luck is on their side.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #215
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

RUSSIA!!!!!

Arshavin played the game of the tournament. Just absolutely sensational. I was up out of my seat for all three Russian goals... they deserved this game, since the very beginning. They played beautiful attacking football.

They are my team for the rest of the tourney.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #216
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Akinfeev is VERY solid. He ought to be starting for one of the big sides in Europe (AC Milan?) before too long when one of the old-guard GK's retires.
a lot of gooners have been hoping for mr. wenger to spend the necessary 10-15 large necessary to put akinfeev between the posts at the grove because, honestly, putting your hope on almunia is just silly.

we are bound to be disappointed. but we hope, regardless.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #217
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'd love to see akinfeev on the big-stage
Old 06-21-2008, 09:06 PM   #218
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'd like to see Arshavin at Newcastle, but I'm guessing that's just not in the cards .
Old 06-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #219
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Arshavin is really the breakout player of the tournament. Including his performance in the final rounds of the UEFA cup, he has had an amazing couple of months.

The Dutch were my team for this tournament... now that they're out i'm pulling for Russia.

Pavlyuchenko has also looked very strong. I won't be surprised if a number of these Russians are moving to bigger leagues in time for the fall.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:31 PM   #220
MrBug708
Head Coach

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #221
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

That was a disappointing result, but the Russians deserved to win. It seemed they were quicker to the ball throughout. Did anyone else think the Dutch played a bit too narrow? It seemed they had space down the left, but didn't use it. Afellay wasn't the answer. I wonder if Van Basten gets second guessed for not playing Robben.

Who's the next coach of Holland? Rijkaard?

How long before Abramovich shells out the cash for Arshavin?
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:32 AM   #222
kingfc22
Head Coach

Just watched this match. Very impressive performance by Russia. They dominated the run of play for a good portion of the match and deserved the result.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:29 AM   #223
MIJB#19
Coordinator

As good as Arshavin played, you can't call him the discovery of this tournament. He's been the key player of Russian Premier League and UEFA Cup winning club FC Zenit St. Peterburg, so he isn't totally coming out of nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
That was a disappointing result, but the Russians deserved to win. It seemed they were quicker to the ball throughout. Did anyone else think the Dutch played a bit too narrow? It seemed they had space down the left, but didn't use it. Afellay wasn't the answer. I wonder if Van Basten gets second guessed for not playing Robben.
Got to back Van Basten here, as Arjen Robben was too severly injured to be able to play yesterday. You do make a good point there, for some reason our team decided to totally ignore the true dutch style and try to go through the middle of the Russian defense, instead of around it on the wings. Afellay and Van Persie can do it, but for some reason decided not to.

All in all, I think the sad happenings during the week (prematurely born daughter of Khalid Boulahrouz died) broke the happy swing from the team. All of a sudden soccer wasn't important anymore. Those players interviewed denied it after the game, saying it's no excuse. Understandable, you don't want to put a loss in a game on stuff like that, but I had a feeling our team wasn't mentally ready. I got goose bums all over when Boulahrouz got subbed out and the crowd gave him a standing ovation.

Freaky how things went downhill after the Boulahrouz substitution. The 1-0 fell shortly after the sub and was set up at his part of te field. The 2-1 also came from that side of the field. All in all, our defense played their worst game in the Van Basten era. Only Edwin van der Sar managed to keep us from a huge deficit in regular playing time.

That, and Russian played amazingly well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
Who's the next coach of Holland? Rijkaard?
Bert van Marwijk. He's been announced a couple of months ago. He heasn't been succesful as a coach lately, but he did guide Feyenoord to UEFA Cup victory half a decade ago. It'll be interesting to see how things will go with a new coach. The return of Mark van Bommel is inevitable (he's Van Marwijk's son-in-law), while god knows whether Roy Makaay and Clarence Seedorf return. I wouldn't even be surprised if Van Bronckhorst (35 during WC2010), Ooijer (turning 36 during WC2010) and maybe Van Nistelrooij (turns 34 during WC2010) call it quits as well. At the very least there's the very likely retirement of Van der Sar (he'll be 39 during WC2010).

It's freaky how the Edwin van der Sar era seems to have ended against Guus Hiddink. Hiddink was the first Oranje coach to put Van der Sar in the starting eleven.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:46 AM   #224
Icy
Pro Starter

Today is the day, will Spain beat his legend of not passing quarterfinals in a big tourney? I think it all will depend on who scores first, if Italy does, then game over as they are the masters or taking advantage of leads, buckering, loosing time and then counter attacking.

Italy's forward Luca Toni is dangerous for us too, as he is so tall and Spanish central defenders (specially Pujol) are fast and tough but small. Italy will probably take advantage of it on corners, as Greece already scored on us on a tactical play than ended on header.

Spanish players are really hungry for revenge. Nobody in Spain can forget the game in the USA World Cup, when Italian defender Tassotti hit Luis Enrique's nose, breaking it and putting him blood covered, while the referee said nobody touched him (to everybody's perplexity). It should have been a clear penalty awarded and red card.

Last edited by Icy : 06-22-2008 at 04:48 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:14 AM   #225
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
All in all, I think the sad happenings during the week (prematurely born daughter of Khalid Boulahrouz died) broke the happy swing from the team. All of a sudden soccer wasn't important anymore. Those players interviewed denied it after the game, saying it's no excuse. Understandable, you don't want to put a loss in a game on stuff like that, but I had a feeling our team wasn't mentally ready. I got goose bums all over when Boulahrouz got subbed out and the crowd gave him a standing ovation.

It's ironic that the Dutch finally had a team that seemed to be united, so united that they rally around one of their own in these difficult circumstances. But it's their unity that is their undoing. I guess I would rather have that than in-fighting though.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #226
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Rooting for Spain Icy - this tournament is too good to have the likes of Italy muck it up.

Plus, as a Liverpool fan, I'm duty bound.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #227
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm rooting for Spain today as well. I'm also hoping for a Germany-Russia final.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #228
kingfc22
Head Coach

I despise watching Italy "play" this game
Old 06-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #229
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

the fouls in the box by ambrosino+grosso in the box that haven't been called by fucking fandel are really fucking pissing me off.

As has been pointed out, those would all have been fouls outside the box all day long - the fact they're not being called because they are in the box is really weak
Old 06-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #230
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

spain just keep taking it into the box sooner or later someone will do something fandel can't ignore though
Old 06-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #231
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

oh but of course he calls the foul on sergio ramos and not grosso there

fucking disgraceful
Old 06-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #232
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm watching a bit behind live I think (35mins?) I wanted to watch the end of brazil-argentina first, so I really hope spain get their deservd goal before italy get an undeserved one
Old 06-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #233
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

ooooh nice chances by spain in 38th minute
Old 06-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #234
Icy
Pro Starter

First half was as expected, Spain dominating (65 to 35% possession) and Italy doing nothing but to break up the plays by fault (with the referee allowing them to do it as always happens with Italy) and to try high balls to the tower Toni to head them over Spanish small defenders.

The referee could have called a couple of fouls just outside the box and one penalty, but of course not any referee is going to call anything against Italy.

Spain really deserves the game so far, let's hope that good soccer will win and not the bunkering and asking for the referee help that is Italy's main strategy.

Last edited by Icy : 06-22-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #235
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

OMG....41st minute...HOW WAS THAT NOT A FUCKING PENALTY FANDEL
Old 06-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #236
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

if villa gets a card for that i'm going to fucking kick him in the face
Old 06-22-2008, 02:43 PM   #237
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
OMG....41st minute...HOW WAS THAT NOT A FUCKING PENALTY FANDEL

I hear you mate, so fucking incredible, btw i see you are like 10 minutes delayed so i won't spoil anything more.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:45 PM   #238
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

lol it's okay...i'm fastforwarded through halftime up to live action
Old 06-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #239
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

poor by silva there - needed to get a shot off
Old 06-22-2008, 03:46 PM   #240
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Not sure that header was going in anyway, but heck of a close shot. I am reminded how much I can't stand the way Italy plays and they should burn in soccer hell. I mean, they bunker AND they flop. They probably kick puppies for motivation at halftime. Go Spain.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:52 PM   #241
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Is there a single non-Italian rooting for Italy? They suck the game out of the game - just horrible to watch.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #242
MJ4H
Coordinator

I know a Swede that is rooting for Italy. Of course, it is because he has money on it.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:55 PM   #243
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Not sure that header was going in anyway, but heck of a close shot. I am reminded how much I can't stand the way Italy plays and they should burn in soccer hell. I mean, they bunker AND they flop. They probably kick puppies for motivation at halftime. Go Spain.

lol
Old 06-22-2008, 04:07 PM   #244
Ryan S
Quarterback

An interesting note on the BBC website...

Quote:
Spain have gone out of three major championships on 22 June, the World Cups of 1986 and 2002 and Euro '96 - all in the quarter-finals, all on penalties.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #245
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

time to break that streak
Old 06-22-2008, 04:14 PM   #246
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

To pens we go. I really wish that last run in by Fabregas had worked out.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:14 PM   #247
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I fucking hate the Italians. What an embarrassment to the game - they didn't even pretend to play, and their diving ought to be saved for the Olympics.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:21 PM   #248
Ryan S
Quarterback

I feel confident that Germany's name can now be engraved on the trophy.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:21 PM   #249
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

CESC!!!

well that's deserved!
Old 06-22-2008, 04:21 PM   #250
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

FUCK YEAH!