Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 PM   #201
miami_fan
Coordinator

NPR is calling Missouri for Clinton
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #202
Jas_lov
College Starter

McCain needs to hold off Romney in California to stab the final dagger in his heart.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #203
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Hillary Clinton wins Arizona. Obama within 5% in Missouri.

Around 3% from what I'm seeing. Unless NPR knows something we don't, seems a little premature to call it.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #204
LloydLungs
College Prospect

NPR might be jumping the gun just a little bit. Missouri is going to end up being effectively a tie, although Clinton may barely hang on from a popular vote standpoint. Man this is a wild year.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #205
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Democratic rules are complicated as hell, but it certainly looks like the split will be very close to even. Does Obama's cash advantage come into play now in TX, PA and OH?

And if this isn't decided after TX on March 4th, PA will get a month and a half of campaigning before the April 22 contest. Hell my vote on May 6th may actually mean something.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #206
SackAttack
Head Coach

Blink. That update took it from 45-44 for Obama in Utah to 50-42.

Apparently there are tons of morons voting for Edwards out here, though.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #207
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

CNN had some interesting exit poll stuff from California. Obama slightly won whites and won HUGE with blacks, but Clinton won big with Latinos and HUGE with Asians (for some reason). Now to see how it all falls into place.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #208
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Barack Obama wins Kansas.

My wife and I went to the caucus tonight in Lawrence and it was ridiculously crowded. This is the first caucus in Kansas since 1992 as in the previous elections, Kansas was after Super Tuesday and the election was already decided.

It doesn't sound like much, but nearly 5000 votes were counted from the 80K people in the city (~60K registered voters, maybe 2/3rds Democrat). We got there at about 6:10 for the caucus that starts at 7 and the lines were huge.

It was fun

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #209
Jas_lov
College Starter

Missouri is also extremely close on the Republican side between Huckabee and McCain. Within 1,500 votes.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #210
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

CNN exit polls say that Obama won the white vote and obviously the black vote in California, but got trounced 2:1 for Hispanics and lost the Asian vote 75%/25%.

It'll be interesting to hear his speech. I imagine he has a doozy since he's back on his home turf and all, but...I think just from a "we didn't lose anywhere we should've won" standpoint, he'll at least be able to spin it as a "great day" in the long journey towards the nomination or whatever.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #211
SackAttack
Head Coach

Looks like CNN just called Idaho and Colorado for Obama.

Who the hell had Idaho going for the black guy in the pool?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #212
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
My wife and I went to the caucus tonight in Lawrence and it was ridiculously crowded. This is the first caucus in Kansas since 1992 as in the previous elections, Kansas was after Super Tuesday and the election was already decided.

It doesn't sound like much, but nearly 5000 votes were counted from the 80K people in the city (~60K registered voters, maybe 2/3rds Democrat). We got there at about 6:10 for the caucus that starts at 7 and the lines were huge.

It was fun

SI

See my previous quip about Lawrence, KS.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #213
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post

Probably the 15,000 people showed up at that rally in Boise.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:46 PM   #214
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Probably the 15,000 people showed up at that rally in Boise.

Yeah, well, I'd been hearing for years that Idaho was the home of the survivalist/white supremacist nuts.

I guess maybe those folks don't vote?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:46 PM   #215
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I know the vote totals in Idaho are small but ... foxnews says 47% of precincts reporting and it's 1,298 to 395. That's less than 1700 votes so far. There were lines almost that long today at some Georgia precincts, and 1/3rd the size of the Lawrence, KS caucus SI mentions up the thread. Are those numbers posted really right?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:47 PM   #216
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess maybe those folks don't vote in Democratic primaries

Fixed that for you
Old 02-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #217
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I know the vote totals in Idaho are small but ... foxnews says 47% of precincts reporting and it's 1,298 to 395. That's less than 1700 votes so far. There were lines almost that long today at some Georgia precincts, and 1/3rd the size of the Lawrence, KS caucus SI mentions up the thread. Are those numbers posted really right?

It was a caucus. And there are barely any Democrats in these parts, so I can't imagine there are too many more in Idaho, despite the larger population.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #218
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

I think many are still missing point about where the Dems in the west are located. In Idaho, that would mean the college towns only (and a few celebs up in Ketchum area). The Reps in Idaho wouldn't even bother to show up to effect the outcome. Same thing in WY and MT where they are all concentrated in Laramie and Bozeman, plus the celebs in the resort areas.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 PM   #219
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Fixed that for you

Yeah, touché.

Sweet, Obama within ~9k votes of Clinton in Missouri and still 7% of precincts left to count.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 PM   #220
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Ok, what everyone else said while I was typing too slow.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:52 PM   #221
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Blink. That update took it from 45-44 for Obama in Utah to 50-42.

Apparently there are tons of morons voting for Edwards out here, though.

Absentee ballots from before he quit.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:52 PM   #222
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It was a caucus.

My bad (and thanks for the correction).
I mentally had it as a primary not a caucus.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:54 PM   #223
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Absentee ballots from before he quit.

I don't think that's all of it though. Edwards also had surprising showing (for example) in Tennesse, including some of the early returns which don't typically include early ballots/absentee ballots as they're usually the last ones counted.
Presumably a good portion of those are simply "not Clinton"/"not Obama" votes.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #224
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I hope the delegates in CA will come close to even despite the votes.

By the way, no surprise about the Asian votes in CA. You have to spend a lot of time in SF and other places to know why.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #225
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I think many are still missing point about where the Dems in the west are located. Same thing in WY and MT where they are all concentrated in Laramie and Bozeman, plus the celebs in the resort areas.

Yeah, in Laramie I know most contested democratic primaries don't generate more than a few hundred voters. It's just not very big. Cheyenne and Casper are far more influential in that way. (Casper even had a gay mayor for goodness sakes..)

Laramie just isn't very big and students here don't really vote at all unless they're conservative. Or they vote in their hometowns in Wyoming.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-05-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:58 PM   #226
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Obama is being way more policy specific -- in sound bites -- in his speech tonight than he has in any of the others. And I know he's doing to quell the talk of "we don't know where he stands.."

But it's late and people probably aren't listening. But...he is doing it in a way that he hadn't in his previous speeches after primaries.

And it's funny how his youth-laden crowds would rather just chant "Yes We Can" a lot and prefer he didn't say so much.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-05-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:58 PM   #227
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, in Laramie I know most contested democratic primaries don't generate more than a few hundred voters. It's just not very big. Cheyenne and Casper are far more influential in that way. (Casper even had a gay mayor for goodness sakes..)

Laramie just isn't very big and students here don't really vote at all unless they're conservative. Or they vote in their hometowns in Wyoming.

That's interesting.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #228
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I hope the delegates in CA will come close to even despite the votes.

Isn't that pretty much the expectation at this point?
(and even for the past several days?)
Old 02-05-2008, 11:01 PM   #229
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
See my previous quip about Lawrence, KS.

(2004)

(2000)

(1996)

(keeping in mind, this site uses Red for Democrat and Blue for Republican)

Using the last 3 presidential maps, guess which county is Douglas (where Lawrence is)?

SI

Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 PM   #230
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Using the last 3 presidential maps, guess which county is Douglas (where Lawrence is)?

The one that looks like somebody cut off the southern half of Utah?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 PM   #231
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
CNN had some interesting exit poll stuff from California. Obama slightly won whites and won HUGE with blacks, but Clinton won big with Latinos and HUGE with Asians (for some reason). Now to see how it all falls into place.

Being married to an asian and having lived in an asian country for over 11 years I can speak to this. In california especially Asians haven't been the best opf friends with African americans and from everything I have seen it goes both ways(generalization of course)
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:04 PM   #232
Buccaneer
Head Coach

SI, very nice work.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:04 PM   #233
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Obama is being way more policy specific -- in sound bites -- in his speech tonight than he has in any of the others. And I know he's doing to quell the talk of "we don't know where he stands.."

But it's late and people probably aren't listening. But...he is doing it in a way that he hadn't in his previous speeches after primaries.

And it's funny how his youth-laden crowds would rather just chant "Yes We Can" a lot and prefer he didn't say so much.

LOL, I do like that. It seems to indicate that the crowd really don't care about his policy positions. They just like his style and want to change "Yes we can".

It is quite a break from the past though. Perhaps that criticism has finally gotten to him. Though I'm sure the Republican operatives are writing down all the programs and promises he has spoken of and calculating the cost so that the number can be used in the 1st general election debate if need be.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:04 PM   #234
st.cronin
General Manager

Fox news projects McCain to win Missouri. That would be big, from what I can tell.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #235
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
The one that looks like somebody cut off the southern half of Utah?

So is that one of your red states that will easily go to Clinton and not McCain?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #236
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So is that one of your red states that will easily go to Clinton and not McCain?

Wasn't on my list, since I said "Southern".
Old 02-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #237
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Being married to an asian and having lived in an asian country for over 11 years I can speak to this. In california especially Asians haven't been the best opf friends with African americans and from everything I have seen it goes both ways(generalization of course)

So that isn't just a big stereotype... huh, interesting. Well, that could definately explain things.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #238
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
By the way, no surprise about the Asian votes in CA. You have to spend a lot of time in SF and other places to know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

1 + 1 = 2
Old 02-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #239
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Obama now leads in Missouri with 97% in.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:08 PM   #240
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
So that isn't just a big stereotype... huh, interesting. Well, that could definately explain things.

Damn Imran, we got to get you out of the East Coast once in a while.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #241
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
SI, very nice work.

Well, they're not my maps. They're from http://uselectionatlas.org/ Great site, if you haven't seen it. It has presidential maps going back all the way to the 1700s, iirc.

SI

Old 02-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #242
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post

Maybe I'm just a little out of it (especially since I haven't touched the TV since I got home a couple of hours ago) but ... wasn't this one called by every network & wire service for Clinton somewhere around 930pm?

If so, I have to go with a big "WTF" to all of them. I mean, this shit really isn't brain surgery folks, if (as someone mentioned up the thread) St. Louis area votes weren't in at all then there's no way in Hell I can understand why anyone would even attempt to call the state yet.

edit: I've sat through enough of these things to know that there's certain geographic areas you have to watch and can't always just guess at until you get a good bit of real data. Has every experienced analyst at every outlet simply stopped working and they've suddenly been left with rank amateurs?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-05-2008 at 11:14 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #243
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

One of the best come from behind victories? But then again, it probably depends on what order they counts the votes and from where.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #244
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Just saw that. Huge swing.

SI

Old 02-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #245
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi...nt_606534.html

Obama's camp currently projects they will take a 606-534 lead on delegates
Old 02-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #246
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Well, they're not my maps. They're from http://uselectionatlas.org/ Great site, if you haven't seen it. It has presidential maps going back all the way to the 1700s, iirc.

SI

I am familiar since I do make a living working with software like that.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:12 PM   #247
Jas_lov
College Starter

Hillary Clinton has won California.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #248
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am familiar since I do make a living working with software like that.

You a GIS hack?

SI

Old 02-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #249
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Maybe I'm just a little out of it (especially since I haven't touched the TV since I got home a couple of hours ago) but ... wasn't this one called by every network & wire service for Clinton somewhere around 930pm?

If so, I have to go with a big "WTF" to all of them. I mean, this shit really isn't brain surgery folks, if (as someone mentioned up the thread) St. Louis area votes weren't in at all then there's no way in Hell I can understand why anyone would even attempt to call the state yet.

I've watched enough election results in Missouri in the last, oh...12-16 years that I know better than to predict it for either candidate before the St. Louis votes start coming in. That always seems to screw me up.

Last edited by SackAttack : 02-05-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:14 PM   #250
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
wasn't this one called by every network & wire service for Clinton somewhere around 930pm?

I'm only aware of NPR calling it, but I could have missed something. St. Louis ALWAYS comes in late in Missouri. I'm guessing it and Kansas City are in now, but there's only 2% left to count.