Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-20-2005, 04:50 AM   #201
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR
20 Canadians in the first round in the 2006 draft in the game I'm playing right now, 23 in 2007, 13 ranked in the top 30 for 2008. Averages out to 18, there were 17 taken in the real 2005 draft.

But those are the first 3 years so those are all guys in the game originally...it doesnt show for like 4-5 years
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:41 AM   #202
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
But those are the first 3 years so those are all guys in the game originally...it doesnt show for like 4-5 years

In previous games, the number of Canadians drafted seems to hit a low point in 2008-2010, then stabilizes after that to a realistic level. The European and American databases are deeper this time around, so that seems to keep things in the right ballpark.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 08:20 AM   #203
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
i just realized something post latest patch...

brett hull isn't around! what is up with that?

Since he retired early in the season, they must have removed him from the database.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:16 PM   #204
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The game is fun. But I haven't quite figured it all out yet. It's fairly intensive, with all the detail and such.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:20 PM   #205
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
The game is fun. But I haven't quite figured it all out yet. It's fairly intensive, with all the detail and such.

You got that right. Try the walkthrough, it's really helped me quite a bit.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 09:11 PM   #206
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
Since he retired early in the season, they must have removed him from the database.

Hmmm, do you guys see Scott Stevens and Al MacInnis in your database? Perhaps I'm having one of those strange problems where players are showing up when they shouldn't, but if Hull was removed, these two most definately should have been removed, as well.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 09:21 PM   #207
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
You got that right. Try the walkthrough, it's really helped me quite a bit.

I'll second that. I used the walkthrough while trying out the game, it was a big help getting me up and running. Once I had a handle on things I pulled the trigger and bought the game and am loving it. I'm 13 games into my first serious career (coach 'em all one at a time like my ootp games) and find my self having some success at 7-3-3 with the Bruins.

One other side effect is I never had the desire to try FM as football (soccer)is not my thing and the game seemed so complex. But since learning to play an SI game using hockey, which I do understand and like, I decided to give FM a try. I found the only copy of wwsm 2006 at the Mankato gamestop and bought it today. Just what I need, another game The wife will be thrilled.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 11:34 AM   #208
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Hmmm, do you guys see Scott Stevens and Al MacInnis in your database? Perhaps I'm having one of those strange problems where players are showing up when they shouldn't, but if Hull was removed, these two most definately should have been removed, as well.

I would have to look, but I don't think they are in my current career that I just started.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:39 AM   #209
riz
SI Games

Quote:
I would have to look, but I don't think they are in my current career that I just started.

Some retired players might be in the starting database...as "retired players". Which means they will most likely look to become scouts/coaches etc. but will not resume their playing careers. The ones that are not there at all, are totally retired naturally.
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:24 PM   #210
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz
Some retired players might be in the starting database...as "retired players". Which means they will most likely look to become scouts/coaches etc. but will not resume their playing careers. The ones that are not there at all, are totally retired naturally.

Couldn't I offer MacInnis enough money to come back for ol Blue?
Old 11-21-2005, 01:03 PM   #211
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Couldn't I offer MacInnis enough money to come back for ol Blue?

His heart's in Calgary.

Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:16 PM   #212
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
His heart's in Calgary.

Old 11-21-2005, 02:25 PM   #213
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:

yeah, i deserve to get kicked in the nuts for that.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:03 PM   #214
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

Sorry folks, my bad. I was still in 2.1.1

They are gone now. Best defenseman out there now is...Drake Berehowsky?
Old 11-24-2005, 11:06 AM   #215
Hurst2112
College Starter

Hey guys,

anybody know where I can get the cool facepacks that look like old hockey cards? The site that I got them from seems to be gone. JeffR, did you have something to do with these? I thought you did. I know that there was a time where they were being moved from one host to another. Just wondering if that ever finished.

thanks
Old 11-24-2005, 11:12 AM   #216
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Hey guys,

anybody know where I can get the cool facepacks that look like old hockey cards? The site that I got them from seems to be gone. JeffR, did you have something to do with these? I thought you did. I know that there was a time where they were being moved from one host to another. Just wondering if that ever finished.

thanks

I don't have time to look through the site right now but I belive you can find them here.

http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/index....tpage&Itemid=1

Hope that helps.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:14 AM   #217
Hurst2112
College Starter

that's the one. i don't think it's linked from the affiliates section on si.com anymore.

thanks!
Old 11-26-2005, 01:45 PM   #218
Hurst2112
College Starter

another question here...

what is the penalty for going over the salary cap? i have been over by as much as 10 million dollars. once, during the last half of the season, i was forced to get rid of some players. it was pretty hard. i think i had to trade somebody away. still, i was still about 6 million over. the shareholders gave me some money at the end of the year.

my second year, i was over again...the whole season. had to get rid of one guy again and the shareholders gave me more money.

what am i risking for being over the cap? will i be fired? if not, then i can spend til my hearts conent...though it isn't helping my shitty standings. hehe
Old 11-28-2005, 12:06 PM   #219
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Finally made the jump into post-patch land... few questions...

- Is BB really getting more then $4 Mill to play for the Marlies? Where the fuck was this kind of spending when the Baby Leaf were here?

- What are the staff limits now? Is it still 5 coaches, 10 scouts, and 3 trainers?
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:21 PM   #220
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
another question here...

what is the penalty for going over the salary cap? i have been over by as much as 10 million dollars. once, during the last half of the season, i was forced to get rid of some players. it was pretty hard. i think i had to trade somebody away. still, i was still about 6 million over. the shareholders gave me some money at the end of the year.

my second year, i was over again...the whole season. had to get rid of one guy again and the shareholders gave me more money.

what am i risking for being over the cap? will i be fired? if not, then i can spend til my hearts conent...though it isn't helping my shitty standings. hehe

The game wouldn't even let me keep going if I was over the cap. That annoyed me. Where is this walkthrough everyone speaks of? I can't find it.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:41 PM   #221
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The game wouldn't even let me keep going if I was over the cap. That annoyed me. Where is this walkthrough everyone speaks of? I can't find it.

PM me your email addy and I'll send it to you.

or email me at tmvolm AT centurytel.net
Old 11-28-2005, 02:16 PM   #222
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Anyone know what the penatly is for going over the cap?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:37 PM   #223
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:

It wouldn't let me either. I think the work around I found was to trade Keith Primeau (whom I acquired earlier in the season). He was a 2 million cap hit. I was still over the cap, but the game let me go forward.

Actually, now that I think about it, I can't understand why it did. I would have to hit the continue button and I am not sure if it would have been possible. Grrr, now I wished I would have saved at that spot.

There is a way though. Maybe I got the warning and placed some guys on waivers. They cleared and I could have released them. I know I have done that recently as well.

Either way, my career (starting 3rd with the Pens) has gone pretty shitty. There is certainly no advantage to signing oodles of great players. hehe.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:42 PM   #224
riz
SI Games

Quote:

There is no penalty in the game, since no-one really knows for sure what it would be in the real life if it ever happened. However, what the game tries to do, is to prevent teams from playing games before they get back under the cap, ie. force the managers to shed salary if they are over. Rumours for the real life penalties range from big fines to draft picks taken away to games being forfeited. I guess we'll know in time sooner or later.

If you are under the salary floor in the game, you'll pay the difference in penalties every week (again, not sure what the real life penalties would be, as they haven't been made public)
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:25 PM   #225
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:

Your team is featured on OLN each Monday and Tuesday.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:49 PM   #226
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian

- Is BB really getting more then $4 Mill to play for the Marlies? Where the fuck was this kind of spending when the Baby Leaf were here?

- What are the staff limits now? Is it still 5 coaches, 10 scouts, and 3 trainers?

Anyone?
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 11-28-2005, 07:54 PM   #227
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Here's the link to the walkthrough: http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/index....=fileinfo&id=2

Take a look around the site as well, very well maintained and lots of add-ons for EHM.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:47 PM   #228
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:

Battaglia's salary's not set in the database, so the game should be choosing an appropriate value, which $4m obviously isn't. Not sure what's happened there, Riz may need to check it.

Quote:

Yeah, I don't think that was changed.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:33 PM   #229
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What is up with the player bios being way off when talking about how many games a player has played in his carrer for a particular league?

What I mean is, just picking the first guy I see it says he's only played 27 games in the AHL when I can see on his player card he's actually played 101 total games in the AHL??
Old 11-29-2005, 07:30 PM   #230
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
What is up with the player bios being way off when talking about how many games a player has played in his carrer for a particular league?

What I mean is, just picking the first guy I see it says he's only played 27 games in the AHL when I can see on his player card he's actually played 101 total games in the AHL??

its not something where the past team he played on is 'unknown' or is no longer around is it?

not like i know what i am talking about. just throwing something up on the brain storm dry erase board.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:57 PM   #231
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
its not something where the past team he played on is 'unknown' or is no longer around is it?

not like i know what i am talking about. just throwing something up on the brain storm dry erase board.

It's not something I've been able to really make sense of.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:53 PM   #232
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

dola,

Another question for the pros, what do the colors mean when looking at a players ratings? Orange, Red, .. I assume the higher the rating, the color changes?

How can you tell when looking at a prospects ratings, what his potential is? I look at different young defensemen, but how do I know if one is better than the next besides what my scout says? Do stats play a major role? Is there anything like FOF that shows potential?

btw, I have masking on...

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2005, 02:05 PM   #233
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
dola,

Another question for the pros, what do the colors mean when looking at a players ratings? Orange, Red, .. I assume the higher the rating, the color changes?

How can you tell when looking at a prospects ratings, what his potential is? I look at different young defensemen, but how do I know if one is better than the next besides what my scout says? Do stats play a major role? Is there anything like FOF that shows potential?

Thanks!

Yeah, the colors are just there to help you differentiate between the higher and lower ratings.

As far as your other question, potential is a hidden attribute in EHM and there is no way to see exactly what this number is like you can in FOF. So you need to utilize your scouting team to help in that regard. Stats certainly play a role too but if you're looking at a guy, it's likely best to get at least two or three opinions on him before making a decision.

Attribute masking doesn't apply at all here - that's just the fancy term for 'Fog of War' - unless the guy has a high world reputation, you'll need to scout him to get information on all of his attributes.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:16 PM   #234
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
dola,

Thanks!

I don't think I'm much of an expert, but I'll give it a try:

The colors on the attributes are just a visual way to tell the difference between numbers (1-6 white, 7-11 yellow, 12-16 orange, 17-20 red). This can come in handy when you play in the Juniors like I do.

As far as potential goes, I think you are going to have to trust your scouts. There isn't any other fool-proof way of knowing who's going to be good. When I draft in the juniors (where most players have white numbers ) I look for players that have high numbers in the attributes that don't seem to change - Aggression, Bravery, Determination, Flair, Work Rate and Balance (I also like players with >10 Acceleration, Speed, Stamina and Strength but those can be developed). Then I look at my scout's rating and the player's stats. This usually whittles down the group.

Edit: I type too slow...

Last edited by scooter : 11-30-2005 at 02:17 PM.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:25 PM   #235
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks to the both of you!! Mostly what I thought, which seems more of a challenge than just looking at potential ratings.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:47 AM   #236
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Thanks Jeff!
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 12-03-2005, 05:35 PM   #237
Hurst2112
College Starter

damn,

was doing really horrible in my 3rd year as pens gm. was in last place in march and was gearing up to trim some fat for the next year.

i had the confidence of the board, but my fans were callin for my head.

i got fired at the end of march. no warning. while the revenue wasn't that great (owners had to inject about 15 million the last offseason), i thought that the owners would give me some warning. they didn't.

i conceded and wasn't going to go back to my last save and beg the board for more time. i don't think it would have mattered anyway. still, it's frustrating to not be asked to get your shit together. anybody else have this happen to them?

by the way, i have found a new job with alaska (ECHL). Funny.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:37 PM   #238
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I need some major help. I just signed a guy off waivers and now have 24 players on my team. I can't play my next game until I'm back down to 23 players.

I can't send anyone down without them going on waivers nor release anyone without them clearing waivers.

So, now what am I supposed to do?
Old 12-03-2005, 08:52 PM   #239
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
So, now what am I supposed to do?

I think you need to put one of your players on waivers then demote him to your AHL team.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:01 PM   #240
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S
I think you need to put one of your players on waivers then demote him to your AHL team.

I've tried that, but I have a game right now, no time to wait the 48 hours for a player to clear waivers.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:05 PM   #241
Hurst2112
College Starter

after you put your guy on waivers, you can take another action and send him down.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:07 PM   #242
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
after you put your guy on waivers, you can take another action and send him down.

Thanks!!
Old 12-03-2005, 09:15 PM   #243
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Thanks!!

no prob...

that was something that bugged me from the original game (freeware version). the signings and movements always took til the next day.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:42 AM   #244
rewissick
n00b

Quote:
damn,

was doing really horrible in my 3rd year as pens gm. was in last place in march and was gearing up to trim some fat for the next year.

i had the confidence of the board, but my fans were callin for my head.

i got fired at the end of march. no warning. while the revenue wasn't that great (owners had to inject about 15 million the last offseason), i thought that the owners would give me some warning. they didn't.

i conceded and wasn't going to go back to my last save and beg the board for more time. i don't think it would have mattered anyway. still, it's frustrating to not be asked to get your shit together. anybody else have this happen to them?

by the way, i have found a new job with alaska (ECHL). Funny.

Same thing happened to me, without the cash injection. As Columbus I was going to sneak into the playoffs as the 8th seed in the 07-08 season, but was canned near the end of March of '08. The funny thing was I thought I was going to be fired a month earlier, when I dealt 2 fan favorites away for some help on defense. The press beat the stuffing out of me, but I went on to have a stellar March, and moved up from 10th into 8th on the strength of 4 straight wins. Of course, I guess my slow progress with the team (hadn't gotten to .500 yet) was weighing on the board, and they let me go. I was so bummed out that I haven't even opened the game up since then!
rewissick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:43 PM   #245
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Anyone know when the "no faking" mod comes out?
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 12-04-2005, 07:13 PM   #246
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Anyone know when the "no faking" mod comes out?

Soon. Here is the thread talking about it.

http://community.sigames.com/groupee...2812079471/p/2
Old 12-11-2005, 02:21 PM   #247
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

This game is still getting the majority of my playing time. Using the Bruins and coaching all of my games and so far I'm in second in the NE division and 4th overall in the east. Just came off a big road win at Ottawa, they were 18-4-2 and all alone in first place. My Bruins were 12-8-5 and in third, what a great feeling when the final buzzer sounded.

A few days before this game I was really getting fed up with my lack of consistent penalty killing. Jonathon Hedstrom was put on the block by the Ducks and I took a look at him. Although he doesn't look like anything spectacular he does appear to be built for penalty killing so I inquire what it would take to get him. The Ducks want my 6th round pick for next year. This is my first attempt at making a trade but it doesn't sound too bad to me. I counter though with an offer of Isbister (little bit of a salary dump and Hedstrom will take his place on the fourht line) and a 6th for Hedstrom and their 5th round pick. The day after the Ottawa game the Ducks accept the trade and it goes through.

I proceed to get a report from two of my coaches about Hedstrom and neither seem to think too highly of him. But since I'm the GM I get to make the call and like the skill set he brings to the team. I insert Hedstrom on the top penalty killing line and we head to Florida for our second consecutive road
game. Right away you can see this guy is doing a good job on the PK. He challenges the play, gets good position, and generally seems to always be where he needs to be.

And then it happens, Leetch poke checks the puck away from a Fla. player and comes up with it. He advances it to Hedstrom who breaks down the left side. While Hedstrom doesn't have great speed he gets a little bit of a head
start on the Fla defenseman and just beats down the ice to the net and proceeds to score our first shorthanded goal of the year! What a rush
It ends up being the goal that seals my second straight road win and moves my Bruins into second place in the NE.

Checking players after the game I start to see guys are saying that they like playing for me and trust what I am doing with the team.

What a great game!

Rave over
Old 12-11-2005, 07:07 PM   #248
Hurst2112
College Starter

Im getting very frustrated with this game.

By the way, I figured out the 'over the cap' thing. Call it a cheat if you will but sending your high priced players on waivers seems to allow you to skip past the message "can't proceed until you get below the 39 mil' message. I have done it a few times and it works. Hoping that I won't have to do it anymore...

I am trying to play this game like I do FOF. Limited relationships with my staff and team. Scouting is very minimal. I find myself going through the motions and hoping that I get lucky with a slew of independently good players (little 'cohesion'). It's not working. I guess I was expecting it to but I have to separate myself from that fact.

So now I am at a crossroads. Do I force myself to delve further into the game and be overly in-depth? Or, do I concede to the notion that this game, like FM, is NOT for me in regards to attention span.

I try to take a back seat as far as coaching games and things. However, I now understand that I need to be more involved than I am for my team to succeed. I get frustrated in knowing that I can't just let the game play itself out and expect my high-priced team to make it to the playoffs.

grrr...

I guess I'll give it some more time.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:32 PM   #249
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Hurst2112, when I played the game regularly (I'm playing WWSM now), I didn't coach the team. I let my head coach set the lines and everything. I was a GM and a GM only. You can't just sit by, sign high-priced players, and expect to win. At the very least, you need to look at the stats of the players who are playing on your team. If they're not getting it done, find players who are playing well to replace them. Trust me, you can be much more "hands off" with this game than you can with FM, but you do need to evaluate your players fairly regularly. Before you bring more players in, you need to figure out who they're going to replace and if you really need them. There's some work involved, but it doesn't have to be very much work.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:48 AM   #250
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Im getting very frustrated with this game.

By the way, I figured out the 'over the cap' thing. Call it a cheat if you will but sending your high priced players on waivers seems to allow you to skip past the message "can't proceed until you get below the 39 mil' message. I have done it a few times and it works. Hoping that I won't have to do it anymore...

I am trying to play this game like I do FOF. Limited relationships with my staff and team. Scouting is very minimal. I find myself going through the motions and hoping that I get lucky with a slew of independently good players (little 'cohesion'). It's not working. I guess I was expecting it to but I have to separate myself from that fact.

So now I am at a crossroads. Do I force myself to delve further into the game and be overly in-depth? Or, do I concede to the notion that this game, like FM, is NOT for me in regards to attention span.

I try to take a back seat as far as coaching games and things. However, I now understand that I need to be more involved than I am for my team to succeed. I get frustrated in knowing that I can't just let the game play itself out and expect my high-priced team to make it to the playoffs.

grrr...

I guess I'll give it some more time.

What Pumpy said. The biggest thing, imo (and I didn't know this without reading the walkthrough) is scouting. Send your scouts out all over the place.

If OOTP v7 is like this as far as scouting goes, then I will be in baseball heaven. The fun is finding those players who nobody knows about and then bringing them aboard and watching them play with someone like Tkachuk. I tweak my lines from time to time, but I let my coach do the coaching as I watch the games from my private box.