Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #201
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I just fundamentally don't understand it on a network level. Like you said, real fans will watch regardless, but the hoi polloi cares more about New Year's Eve than they do about (college) football. Maybe I'm too shortsighted and they can condition the general public into thinking of New Year's Eve day as a time to watch football as part of their celebrations, but I just think it makes so much more sense to let the average person celebrate NYE, wake up hungover and not wanting to leave the couch... but flip on some football (because the winter classic only lasts so long, and who actually wants to watch parades?) Then realize/get targeted with advertising about the playoff happening on Jan 2 and put it in their calendar.

I think the thinking is, in part, to stretch out one of the most valuable commodities on television into two days instead of one. But also bear in mind that it's more CFB wanting this than the networks. ESPN wanted to shift to Jan 2 and away from 12/31 this year, since it would have given them a Saturday but the college football powers would have none of it.

That bit is in this longer look at the subject, fwiw
Will the College Football Playoff change New Year's Eve traditions? - CBSSports.com
Old 01-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #202
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That Florida won ten games has to be a testament to coaching. Or a deal with a devil, or something.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:42 PM   #203
Easy Mac

Or a really, really bad SEC East
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:42 PM   #204
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That Florida won ten games has to be a testament to coaching. Or a deal with a devil, or something.

Or maybe the SEC is overrated?

Sorry, you knew it was coming.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:54 PM   #205
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Or maybe the SEC is overrated?

Sorry, you knew it was coming.

Ask Northwestern about that

Seriously though, this is an on-going theme with Florida that I've mentioned numerous times over several years now. They look like crap, repeatedly, but somehow they win more games than the eye test suggests is even possible.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:01 PM   #206
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My nearly 18 y/o had an interesting take on the Rose Bowl "it feels like it's always the runner-up bowl, nice but never great".

Looking back, the game really hasn't had much national meaning since he was 7 years old so I guess I get his impression of it.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:11 PM   #207
tarcone
Coordinator

That and you live in the Southeast.
If you live in the Midwest, you appreciate the significance of the game. No matter your age.

I was super excited Iowa got the Rose after losing the B1G championship. If you weren't in the BCS Championship or the playoffs, there is no greater reward then the Rose. What a great, great bowl game.

I like how they do the toss. Using the logos of the teams.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #208
MrBug708
Head Coach

Jesus Iowa
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #209
tarcone
Coordinator

Well, that didnt start well.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #210
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
That and you live in the Southeast.
If you live in the Midwest, you appreciate the significance of the game. No matter your age.

I was super excited Iowa got the Rose after losing the B1G championship. If you weren't in the BCS Championship or the playoffs, there is no greater reward then the Rose. What a great, great bowl game.

I like how they do the toss. Using the logos of the teams.

He gets that it has history (and is a future history major remember, so that's cool by him) he just hasn't seen it been meaningful in the big picture.

And that coin thing seems to be all over this year, saw it yesterday too.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #211
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
My nearly 18 y/o had an interesting take on the Rose Bowl "it feels like it's always the runner-up bowl, nice but never great".

Looking back, the game really hasn't had much national meaning since he was 7 years old so I guess I get his impression of it.

They care more about tradition than meaningful matchups.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #212
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa will play zone the rest of the day. No more man to man.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #213
tarcone
Coordinator

Best way to defend Stanford looks to be control the ball. Got to be able to run today and we will be fine.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:23 PM   #214
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Games featuring at least one team ranked #3 or higher

1970s: 6 games, 8 teams
1980s: 1 games, 2 teams
1990s: 6 games, 6 teams
2000s: 4 games, 5 teams (2 were BCS title games)
2010s: 2 games, 3 teams (1 was semifinal)

Point being, the two things were not always mutually exclusive.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:26 PM   #215
MrBug708
Head Coach

They'd rather have the PAC-12 champion at 9-3 and the Big-10 champion at 10-2 than two teams ranked 11-1 and ranked top 5
Old 01-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #216
tarcone
Coordinator

We look terrible. Just nervous and slow.
Plus, the refs are letting them play. Lots of blocking in the back and holding. And a no call PI.

But, we cant tackle or catch #5.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #217
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They'd rather have the PAC-12 champion at 9-3 and the Big-10 champion at 10-2 than two teams ranked 11-1 and ranked top 5

Which is fine (remember, I'd prefer to scrap the whole tournament type approach & return to the strict bowl/conference ties that I grew up with) ... but that goes directly to what he mentioned, that it doesn't feel like an bowl game any more.

It's something that all bowl games face as time goes on & the selection process changes. With every passing year the next generation(s) have less & less connection to the history of the bowls -- not just the Rose but the Sugar with the SEC as well -- and they become less of a thing to future players.

That was why I noted it, just hearing the perspective of a teenager as opposed to how I perceive certain games. When I was a kid/growing up, the Sugar Bowl had at least one top 3 team in every game from 1975 to 1984. (that's me from 8 til 17). That cemented a certain image of the magnitude of the game in my mind. I don't think that happens the same way anymore.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-01-2016 at 04:36 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:40 PM   #218
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Eek. Getting ugly early.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:41 PM   #219
tarcone
Coordinator

Im not posting anymore. This is just shit. Im about to turn the tv off and go to bed.

Well, if a miracle happens, I might post. But at this point, I dont see that happening.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:41 PM   #220
MrBug708
Head Coach

To be fair Jon, how do you feel about this current generation and their opinions
Old 01-01-2016, 04:42 PM   #221
MrBug708
Head Coach

Iowa and Stanford both are power offenses, but Stanford has speed to go with it.

Shaw will get cute, Iowa will get a couple scores, but Stanford will probably play conservative now
Old 01-01-2016, 04:44 PM   #222
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:

It is going to be pretty rare that the Rose Bowl gets champions from both conferences though. They have the third or fourth best team from the Big 10 this year and the same last year.

That 33% decrease in ratings has to concern ESPN and the CFP. I was expecting a drop from last year but that's just brutal. I guess ESPN has less leverage than I thought. I just assumed the NYE schedule was their evil plan

I'm a huge CFB (and CBB) fan but NYE has always been a night where my family has gone out together and had fun. If Ohio State didn't go with the biggest chickenshit offensive gameplan possible against MSU then plans would have changed. If only...
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:48 PM   #223
bronconick
College Starter

ESPN wanted the semis on the 2nd today. Bowls wouldn't go for it, I guess.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:50 PM   #224
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To be fair Jon, how do you feel about this current generation and their opinions

I don't gotta agree ... but I'm conscious of them, and realistic about their impact.

Afaic, college football was better when the Rose and the Sugar and the Cotton meant more. It was better with fewer limitations on scholarships and with fewer D1 teams.

His take actually fit into my bigger pre-existing narrative about the game in general, it was just sorta enlightening to hear how he phrased it and that it was the predominant impression of the game that he has. And he's a much deeper student of the game's history & legacies than the average teenager.

Time passes. Hell, I was surprised that he didn't remember Billy McCaffrey at Duke ... and then I looked it up to be slapped in the face with the fact that his college career ended something like six years before my kid was born.

I'm old. End of story.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:53 PM   #225
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
It is going to be pretty rare that the Rose Bowl gets champions from both conferences though. They have the third or fourth best team from the Big 10 this year and the same last year.

That 33% decrease in ratings has to concern ESPN and the CFP. I was expecting a drop from last year but that's just brutal. I guess ESPN has less leverage than I thought. I just assumed the NYE schedule was their evil plan

I'm a huge CFB (and CBB) fan but NYE has always been a night where my family has gone out together and had fun. If Ohio State didn't go with the biggest chickenshit offensive gameplan possible against MSU then plans would have changed. If only...
PAC-12 really needs to play ball with ESPN, but I doubt the SEC would allow that
Old 01-01-2016, 04:59 PM   #226
kingfc22
Head Coach

Too bad McCaffery didn't play on the East Coast...
Old 01-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #227
Butter
Coordinator

Northwestern and Iowa were overrated, but so are Tennessee and Florida.

Just because Tennessee beat the crap out of Northwestern doesn't mean the SEC East wasn't the worst division in major college football this year. Florida found out how Michigan's ass taste.

I think Alabama - Clemson will be a great national title game. As an OSU childhood and lifelong fan, but now a 3 year Clemson season ticket holder, I'd love both of my teams to claim the first two CFP titles.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:31 PM   #228
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It's been mixed 24 hours for the B1G I think.

There's a temptation to call it a disaster with high profile utter flops but Michigan and Ohio State got decent to nice wins. (I think what Notre Dame managed this season with their injury problems was impressive so that's the much better of those two wins to me).

Not at all sure how to explain Northwestern beating Stanford but losing so thoroughly today. Looked completely overmatched, and I know full well that UT isn't that good a roster. Better than it was a few years back but not like they looked today.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #229
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Not at all sure how to explain Northwestern beating Stanford but losing so thoroughly today. Looked completely overmatched, and I know full well that UT isn't that good a roster. Better than it was a few years back but not like they looked today.

Well you talk up Alabama like they are the clear favs and should just dominate any team they play. Tenn lost to them 14 to 19. Tennessee also only lost by 7 to Oklahoma. Tennessee will be one of the favs in the SEC next year. Solid young roster with lots of talent returning.

Matchups are still an important part of football. Northwestern matches up well vs Stanford and doesnt against Tennessee.

And while it is a crappy excuse the numerous times it is used. Iowa was inches away from playing in the playoffs. We are clearly not seeing the best of them today. While they were overrated towards the end of the season they are clearly in a letdown spot. Stanford is not 4-7 tds better than them.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-01-2016 at 05:50 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:47 PM   #230
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Quote:
As long as they're gonna be a boobie prize, I have no problem with that. Ohio State/ND was a sweet matchup, but really who cares who won? If 30,000 Iowa fans are gonna take their once every generation trip to Pasadena and have a lifetime of memories from it instead of OSU showing up when most of their fans are disappointed to be there, cool. Nobody saw this margin coming (come on Iowa, don't you have a decent defense?), but I can fully accept that (in non-playoff years) the Rose Bowl isn't trying to please me as a TV viewer/3rd party fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
ESPN wanted the semis on the 2nd today. Bowls wouldn't go for it, I guess.
Reading the article Jon linked "bowls" might not be the correct term (I assumed by that there was some sort of parade or whatever as the hangup)... sounds like "the committee" really does think they can make Dec 31 semifinal day a cultural thing. I disagree, and I'm not just saying that because I personally hate it. I just think the extremely casual fan they're trying to reach cares more about NYE than football. Just thinking about it personally the amount of people I could talk in to watching Jan 2 games is much higher than the amount I could talk in to watching Dec 31 games.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #231
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Well you talk up Alabama like they are the clear favs and should just dominate any team they play. Tenn lost to them 14 to 19. Tennessee also only lost by 7 to Oklahoma. Tennessee will be one of the favs in the SEC next year. Solid young roster with lots of talent returning.

I discount the margin of the Oklahoma game more than most do I think because it felt like a completely different OU than developed as the season went along. They were still figuring out who they were going to be/what they had more than the average team at that point IMO.

Bama is a weird thing because I'm of the opinion that the game is a lot bigger to UT than it is to Bama, one of those one-sided rivalry kind of things.

Make no mistake, UT is better than they were in recent seasons (thank God). But if they're a top 20 team (and even in my final poll they probably are) then that's a further indictment of the weakened state of college football today more than a mark of them being anywhere near greatness.

edit to add: As for Bama, I don't think there's any team in the country that can outcoach them -- I'm more than ready to declare Saban, whatever deal he cut down at the crossroads aside, the greatest college football coach in history and maybe not even by all that narrow a margin. Their strength up front, with speed to go with it, is beyond impressive to me. Michigan State clearly doesn't suck, yet they were overmatched & overwhelmed to the point of it being downright sad. That this is clearly not the best team Bama team during their run, thanks to a suspect secondary, and yet I still think they're in the very damned good range is almost scary.

And I'm sure as hell not thrilled about having the impression. Celebrated the Ole Miss victory with enthusiasm, would obviously love to see UT get that series back into line. But the only things in my lifetime that I would compare to what has been built & is happening there have been Wooden/UCLA and Auriemma/UConn.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-01-2016 at 05:57 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:53 PM   #232
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I discount the margin of the Oklahoma game more than most do I think because it felt like a completely different OU than developed as the season went along. They were still figuring out who they were going to be/what they had more than the average team at that point IMO.

Bama is a weird thing because I'm of the opinion that the game is a lot bigger to UT than it is to Bama, one of those one-sided rivalry kind of things.

Make no mistake, UT is better than they were in recent seasons (thank God). But if they're a top 20 team (and even in my final poll they probably are) then that's a further indictment of the weakened state of college football today more than a mark of them being anywhere near greatness.

I agree with you on Oklahoma and I also agree with you that their rivalry with Alabama is one sided. I think the emotional aspect plays a very important role in some of these bowl games. I really dont think Iowa is there today. Northwestern was never really as good as some thought they were. Their offense is poor. If they arent creating turnovers they really are limited against good teams.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-01-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:18 PM   #233
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I thought the halftime comparsions for McCaffrey were good (about the Peewee player that's simply better than everyone else on the field, and something like "an Xbox player against an Atari defense") and they were deserved BUT there was one bit of hyperbole that bugged me: Herbie saying that McCaffrey was clearly the face of college football going into next season.

That's true ... right up until/unless Watson knocks off Bama & wins a national title, in which case we all know how quickly he'd be anointed the same way.

I'm not knocking McCaffrey so please don't nobody even try to go there. I'm strictly digging at the hyperbole & knowing that the narrative would change in a heartbeat in a matter of days if the situation demanded it.

Call 'em 1A & 1B, or say "among the faces" or something, otherwise it just felt like a setup for incredible hypocrisy as a broadcaster gets overwrought in the moment trying to come up with something to say.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #234
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Northwestern and Iowa were overrated, but so are Tennessee and Florida.

Just because Tennessee beat the crap out of Northwestern doesn't mean the SEC East wasn't the worst division in major college football this year. Florida found out how Michigan's ass taste.
Was Tennessee overrated? Should've beaten Oklahoma, good OOC win over Bowling Green, and 3 other losses by a combined 10 points. Good in the national title sense, no, but I thought they were a pretty talented team all year (if inconsistent, at least partially due to youth.) Jon can be curmudgeonly all he wants, but that's a top 20 team.

And sorry, but the Big Ten West? (or whatever they call the one that Iowa won) was still worse than the SEC East Plus the ACC non-Clemson/FSU division, even with the SEC East's terrible winner and drastic dropoff from #3 to #4.

I guess this day is kind of cathartic though... everybody "knew" Florida and Iowa were just getting lucky all year, so it's nice to see it "confirmed".
Old 01-01-2016, 06:28 PM   #235
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I thought the halftime comparsions for McCaffrey were good (about the Peewee player that's simply better than everyone else on the field, and something like "an Xbox player against an Atari defense") and they were deserved BUT there was one bit of hyperbole that bugged me: Herbie saying that McCaffrey was clearly the face of college football going into next season.

That's true ... right up until/unless Watson knocks off Bama & wins a national title, in which case we all know how quickly he'd be anointed the same way.

I'm not knocking McCaffrey so please don't nobody even try to go there. I'm strictly digging at the hyperbole & knowing that the narrative would change in a heartbeat in a matter of days if the situation demanded it.

Call 'em 1A & 1B, or say "among the faces" or something, otherwise it just felt like a setup for incredible hypocrisy as a broadcaster gets overwrought in the moment trying to come up with something to say.
I watched a day of football early this season where like 5 teams were referred to as having "the #1 defense in America". One was in points allowed per game, one in yards, one in turnover margin, one in 3rd down conversion percentage when the opposing team lines up with two tight ends and has a Senior quarterback, etc... If I posted every time an announcer used hyperbole about a player in their game, I'd have a lot more posts
Old 01-01-2016, 06:31 PM   #236
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2015 OVERALL COLLEGE FOOTBALL RATINGS

Really the best thing I found that kind of keeps announcers stupid comments in check.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-01-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:50 PM   #237
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I think we better send somebody to check on tarcone after this game
Old 01-01-2016, 07:42 PM   #238
MrBug708
Head Coach

Can't believe McCaffrey didn't win the Heisman

Last edited by MrBug708 : 01-01-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #239
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

Not at all sure how to explain Northwestern beating Stanford but losing so thoroughly today.

I think the start time had a ton to do with Stanford being pretty flat in that game. Happens a lot early in the season when west coast teams travel to the central or eastern time zone. Cal against Maryland and UCLA sleep walking to a thin win over a bad Virginia team come to mind recently.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:49 PM   #240
Edward64
Head Coach

Ole Miss is starting to pull away from OSU.

Bowl match-ups don't seem that great this year.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #241
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Can't believe McCaffrey didn't win the Heisman

Yup, I would normally go with the SEC guy but McCaffrey should have won it.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #242
bhlloy
Coordinator

Today sure has been one uninteresting blowout after another.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:57 PM   #243
miami_fan
Coordinator

Getting flipped head over heels by a blocker into the kicker is a penalty?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:19 PM   #244
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

What a pretty play on the tackle eligible for Ole Miss.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:19 PM   #245
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice trick play by Ole Miss just before the half.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #246
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Now that's how you end a half.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #247
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Worst season of bowl games in recent memory, if not my life.

big 12 stunk it up.

Big 10, i knew all along was basically one good team in OSU. MSU didn't belong. It's too bad Wisconsin didn't pull their heads outta their asses vs iowa (fumble on 2 yd line late in game for the win) and NW ("dropped" pass in endzone after 6 steps) and they would have been in the b1g CG. Which after last years debacle vs OSU I'm happy they were left out because despite probably being the best defense in the country(behind Bama), our offense couldn't do much against anybody with a pulse, especially against osu who would have maybe not repeated last year vs WI but I don't believe we stood a chance.

Last edited by mauchow : 01-01-2016 at 09:40 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #248
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa got exposed tonight. Ugly. Talent sure does outplay hard work, esp. when talent works hard.
Its tough being a developmental program and then running into speed. Not much of a chance.

Luckily, Iowa has a QB coming back and most of their team in general. With Wiscy, Nebby and NW at home and the crossover is Michigan, I like our chances at winning the west again.

Was Iowa over rated? Yeah, I think so.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:50 PM   #249
tarcone
Coordinator

But, hey, Iowa won the 2nd half. Woot!

Old 01-01-2016, 09:51 PM   #250
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

And shit fuck balls, Dave Aranda leaves for LSU

Who do the Badgers open up against to start next season? LSU.

Fuck.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote