Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #201
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
I do wonder why Marty Brenneman is still employed. He comes across as a cantankerous old fart who keeps bitching about players - didn't he do the same thing with Larkin back in the day?

If Marty were fired, the town would revolt. His son's going to be the successor, so you might as well get used to it. At least with Marty, he's paid his dues to give his opinions. His son just does it because he's Marty's son.

Besides...who among us doesn't bitch about the players? They have sucked for damn near ten years now. The core is there in my opinion. They have a great chance to do things with these guys if they can fill in the pieces now.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #202
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There's no where near enough offense unless Volquez, Cueto and Bailey are all multiple Cy Young winners. Bruce is a dangerous bat and Phillips is good, but after that the Reds don't have an offensive threat.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #203
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
There's no where near enough offense unless Volquez, Cueto and Bailey are all multiple Cy Young winners. Bruce is a dangerous bat and Phillips is good, but after that the Reds don't have an offensive threat.

Offense is slowly coming back so that it's not all about homeruns. My lineup would look like this next year...

1. ???
2. Whoever plays short
3. Bruce
4. Phillips
5. Votto (who is a damn good hitter as well)
6. Encarnacion
7. ???
8. ???

Two of those spots might be the kids they called up for the OF and C and if they're decent, that's a better offense than a lot of teams. Yes, it doesn't have a lot of homerun power but there are plenty of teams winning right now without massive amounts of homerun power. If they don't think the young guys pan out, they have a boatload of money now to go and get free agents to fill those spots.

I continue to love what they've done here.

Last edited by rowech : 08-13-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #204
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Unless I'm mistaken you only have four players in that lineup. If you can't name half of the lineup, that's not good. Who exactly are the "lot of teams" that that offense is better than? Look at these NL team stats almost entirely before they traded their best offensive threat.

Runs scored -12
Ave- 15
OBP- 13
Slug- 12
OPS- 12

Is that going to get better after trading your best offensive player without getting any position player that can start next year?

As for players that make up the core:

Votto 280/345/448
EdE 251/339/485
Phillips 273/321/465
Bruce 269/316/439

This offense may not be all about homeruns, but it's also not about hits or walks. Maybe they'll all be masters of the one out sacrifice.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #205
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Offense is slowly coming back so that it's not all about homeruns.

It never really was all about homeruns. OBP has always been the stat that relates directly to runs scored. As long as Dusty is running the show OBP will never be a focal point of the lineup and the Reds will continue to struggle to score runs. Dusty would rather see Corey Patterson go 1-4 with a steal and no strikeouts than see a player like Dunn walk 3 times and strikeout once.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #206
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Unless I'm mistaken you only have four players in that lineup. If you can't name half of the lineup, that's not good. Who exactly are the "lot of teams" that that offense is better than? Look at these NL team stats almost entirely before they traded their best offensive threat.

Runs scored -12
Ave- 15
OBP- 13
Slug- 12
OPS- 12

Is that going to get better after trading your best offensive player without getting any position player that can start next year?

As for players that make up the core:

Votto 280/345/448
EdE 251/339/485
Phillips 273/321/465
Bruce 269/316/439

This offense may not be all about homeruns, but it's also not about hits or walks. Maybe they'll all be masters of the one out sacrifice.

I'm definitely making an assumption that they will go out and sign a couple of free agents to play catcher and one of the OF positions or 1b to move Votto to left. I'm also not so sure they won't get Chad Tracy from Arizona. In either case, certainly those numbers are going to be low for Votto and Bruce. They are first year players who will be STUDS for the next several seasons. Phillips is a heck of a ballplayer who needs to cut down his swing to where it was last year.

The biggest problem the Reds have had is they won't blow things completely up but they also wouldn't go out and spend the moeny to make them a contender. They've been under two massive contracts. One, in Griffey, that simply wasn't giving nearly what they were paying. Dunn...as many know I'll debate but I'll accept they were getting value out of him. (With that said though, I fully expect him to fall on his face during free agency when the offers don't pour right in)

Hence garbage records. They kept doing this patchwork garbage. It doesn't work. You either blow it up and form a core or you pay to win. Now they have a core to work with...finally. The hitters are all under 27 (maybe 28). I expect Cueto to be much better next year as he will start to learn to pitch instead of just throwing. If Owings can turn things back around, you have a good five man staff, a decent bullpen.

I really believe they are finally on the right track. It won't be next year but in 2-3 years, they will be contenders.

Last edited by rowech : 08-13-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #207
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There isn't much in the free agent market.

Here's potential free agent catchers.

Rod Barajas (33) - $2.5MM club option for '09 with a $0.5MM buyout
Michael Barrett (32)
Henry Blanco (37) - $3MM mutual option for '09 with a $0.3MM buyout
Johnny Estrada (33)
Toby Hall (33) - $2.25MM club option for '09 with a $0.15MM buyout
Jason Kendall (35) - club option for '09; vests with 110 games played in '08
Paul Lo Duca (37)
Miguel Olivo (30) - $2.7MM club option for '09 with a $0.1MM buyout
Mike Redmond (38) - $0.95MM club option for '09 with a $0.1MM buyout
Ivan Rodriguez (37)
David Ross (32)
Jason Varitek (37)
Gregg Zaun (38)

Here's 1b

Rich Aurilia (37)
Sean Casey (34)
Tony Clark (37)
Carlos Delgado (37) - $12MM mutual option for '09 with a $4MM buyout
Nomar Garciaparra (35)
Jason Giambi (38) - $22MM club option for '09 with a $5MM buyout
Wes Helms (33) - $3.75MM club option for '09 with a $0.75MM buyout
Eric Hinske (31)
Doug Mientkiewicz (35)
Kevin Millar (37)
Richie Sexson (34)
Mark Teixeira (29)
Daryle Ward (34)

Here's SS

Orlando Cabrera (34)
David Eckstein (34)
Adam Everett (32)
Rafael Furcal (31)
Nomar Garciaparra (35)
Cesar Izturis (29)
Felipe Lopez (29)
Edgar Renteria (33) - $12MM club option for '09 with a $3MM buyout
Juan Uribe (30)
Omar Vizquel (42) - $5.2MM club option for '09 with a $0.3MM buyout

Here OF

Left fielders
Moises Alou (42)
Garret Anderson (37) - $14MM club option for '09 with a $3MM buyout
Milton Bradley (31)
Emil Brown (34)
Pat Burrell (32)
Carl Crawford (27) - $8.25MM club option for '09 with a $2.5MM buyout
Adam Dunn (29)
Cliff Floyd (36) - $2.75MM club option for '09 with a $0.25MM buyout
Luis Gonzalez (41)
Raul Ibanez (37)
Kevin Mench (31)
Jason Michaels (33) - $2.6MM club option for '09
Craig Monroe (32)
Jay Payton (36)
Wily Mo Pena (27) - $5MM club option or $2MM player option for '09
Manny Ramirez (37)
Juan Rivera (30)

Center fielders
Rocco Baldelli (27)
Mike Cameron (36) - $10MM club option for '09 with a $750K buyout
Jim Edmonds (39)
Mark Kotsay (33)
Corey Patterson (29)

Right fielders
Bobby Abreu (35)
Casey Blake (35)
Brian Giles (38) - $9MM club option for '09 with a $3MM buyout
Ken Griffey Jr. (39) - $16.5MM club option for '09 with a $4MM buyout
Vladimir Guerrero (33) - $15MM club option for '09 with a $3MM buyout
Brad Wilkerson (32)

Not much there and given that the Reds are at least a couple years away I don't think it makes sense to sign Vlad or Manny. I'm sure the Reds will sign a couple guys, but I'd bet they'll be more along thelines of David Ekstein and Carl Crawford.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:25 PM   #208
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
There isn't much in the free agent market.

Here's potential free agent catchers.

Rod Barajas (33) - $2.5MM club option for '09 with a $0.5MM buyout
Michael Barrett (32)
Henry Blanco (37) - $3MM mutual option for '09 with a $0.3MM buyout
Johnny Estrada (33)
Toby Hall (33) - $2.25MM club option for '09 with a $0.15MM buyout
Jason Kendall (35) - club option for '09; vests with 110 games played in '08
Paul Lo Duca (37)
Miguel Olivo (30) - $2.7MM club option for '09 with a $0.1MM buyout
Mike Redmond (38) - $0.95MM club option for '09 with a $0.1MM buyout
Ivan Rodriguez (37)
David Ross (32)
Jason Varitek (37)
Gregg Zaun (38)

Here's 1b

Rich Aurilia (37)
Sean Casey (34)
Tony Clark (37)
Carlos Delgado (37) - $12MM mutual option for '09 with a $4MM buyout
Nomar Garciaparra (35)
Jason Giambi (38) - $22MM club option for '09 with a $5MM buyout
Wes Helms (33) - $3.75MM club option for '09 with a $0.75MM buyout
Eric Hinske (31)
Doug Mientkiewicz (35)
Kevin Millar (37)
Richie Sexson (34)
Mark Teixeira (29)
Daryle Ward (34)

Here's SS

Orlando Cabrera (34)
David Eckstein (34)
Adam Everett (32)
Rafael Furcal (31)
Nomar Garciaparra (35)
Cesar Izturis (29)
Felipe Lopez (29)
Edgar Renteria (33) - $12MM club option for '09 with a $3MM buyout
Juan Uribe (30)
Omar Vizquel (42) - $5.2MM club option for '09 with a $0.3MM buyout

Here OF

Left fielders
Moises Alou (42)
Garret Anderson (37) - $14MM club option for '09 with a $3MM buyout
Milton Bradley (31)
Emil Brown (34)
Pat Burrell (32)
Carl Crawford (27) - $8.25MM club option for '09 with a $2.5MM buyout
Adam Dunn (29)
Luis Gonzalez (41)
Raul Ibanez (37)
Kevin Mench (31)
Jason Michaels (33) - $2.6MM club option for '09
Craig Monroe (32)
Jay Payton (36)
Wily Mo Pena (27) - $5MM club option or $2MM player option for '09
Manny Ramirez (37)
Juan Rivera (30)

Center fielders
Rocco Baldelli (27)
Mike Cameron (36) - $10MM club option for '09 with a $750K buyout
Jim Edmonds (39)
Mark Kotsay (33)
Corey Patterson (29)

Right fielders
Bobby Abreu (35)
Casey Blake (35)
Brian Giles (38) - $9MM club option for '09 with a $3MM buyout
Ken Griffey Jr. (39) - $16.5MM club option for '09 with a $4MM buyout
Vladimir Guerrero (33) - $15MM club option for '09 with a $3MM buyout
Brad Wilkerson (32)

Not much there and given that the Reds are at least a couple years away I don't think it makes sense to sign Vlad or Manny. I'm sure the Reds will sign a couple guys, but I'd bet they'll be more along thelines of David Ekstein and Carl Crawford.

If I was running things, these are the guys I'd target...

C -- Barajas or Barrett

1b -- Texeria -- I'd go after him still knowing they probably won't get him but throw a boatload at him and move Votto to left.

ss -- I'm happy with the guys we have. They don't dazzle but there's nothing out there that is that much better.

OF -- UGLY!!! I didn't know it was that bad next year. I'd go after Burrell, Crawford if he actually becomes available, Cameron maybe.

In a perfect world --

1. Barajas and Texeria
2. Barajas, Burrell, and Cameron
Old 08-13-2008, 10:30 PM   #209
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Were they afraid Dunn would actually take arbitration? Just seems like the better baseball move would be to have kept dunn and taken the picks. Someone will pay for him this offseason.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:46 PM   #210
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

No way the Rays let Crawford go
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:06 PM   #211
korme
Go Reds

There's talk of Phillips moving to SS next year, which would be fitting since he'll finally get his first GG this season with Hudson going down.

Also heard rumors Edwin or Votto could move to LF next year, with Dickerson in right if he does well enough.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:06 PM   #212
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Rowech: I don't mean to pick on you, but what about Barajas is appealing? He's a lifetime 290 obp and 413 slugger. Dave Ross had better numbers and we just released him. Valentin and Bako aren't any better, but what would Barajas bring that we don't already have?

I don't think Teixiera is worth roughly 1/4 of our payroll for the next six years even if we could get him. He's a very good player, but at 20-25 mil I don't think the Reds should be involved.

If you want to run at Burrell, you should love Dunn. Burrell has a higher lifetime average 259/247 but that's made up by his lower obp 369/380. Dunn has a higher slugging 488/520 and is three years younger.

Carl Crawford in leadoff would be better than Corey Patterson, obp 330/293, but neither would be good.

At short we should play Phillips, but for some unknown reason the Reds won't even consider that. With his range and fielding prowess he should at a minimum be better than anyone else they can throw out there.

The guys we currently have are not good and you shouldn't be happy to see then play. Kep is a lifetime 288/342/399 player with lower numbers in obp and slugging this year. He had a very good 2007, but I would say it's unlikely he'll play at that level consistently.

Hairston is having a tremendous year, but it's so much higher than his career average you have to think he'll decline, especially given that he's 32. This year he's at 344/393/484, but his lifetime average is 259/329/366. I would bet he'll be closer to career average next year than his numbers this year.

Alex Gonzalez is a lifetime 248/295/399 who hasn't played in over a season.

I love the Reds as much as you do and I agree it's overdue that they do a real fire sale, but that hasn't really happened. We still have guys like Weathers and the talent return for Dunn looks to be pitiful. Getting rid of all our offense and getting nothing in return isn't setting us up for the future.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:08 AM   #213
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Were they afraid Dunn would actually take arbitration? Just seems like the better baseball move would be to have kept dunn and taken the picks. Someone will pay for him this offseason.

I think rumors were going around he wanted 100M this offseason. I think there fear would be to make him an offer of 60M or so and then actually sign him when the market for his talents isn't as good as he (or his agent) thought.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:56 AM   #214
rowech
Pro Starter

The Dayton Daily News has quoted Arroyo as saying Dunn wants 120-125 million. There is no way he's worth that much.

If they'll actually move Phillips to short, that would be the better solution. I thought they should have done it this year.

I think they should have kept Ross personally. I know he's not a great hitter but our pitchers pitch better when he catches and he's a heck of a lot better defensively than the other two.

I'd love Crawford as he'd be a perfect fit for what we need at #1 and in terms of a position to fill but there's no way Tampa is going to let him go.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:54 AM   #215
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...808140326/1071

Top pick ready to walk
Alonso says he'd play in an independent league
By John Fay

PITTSBURGH - Yonder Alonso, the Reds' first-round draft pick in the June amateur draft, said he's ready to play hardball - and not with the Dayton Dragons.

Two days before the deadline to sign, Alonso said he will not back off his original demands: a big-league contract worth around $7 million.

"They knew what I wanted when they drafted me," Alonso said. "If they weren't going to give it to me, why did they draft me? They knew what they got themselves into."

Alonso, a first baseman from the University of Miami, could return to school. But that sounds like his last option. If he doesn't sign, he said he'll play independent league ball.

That's where the story takes a bit of a twist. Alonso is very good friends with Alex Rodriguez.

"ARod told me if things don't work out, I could stay in New York with him and play for Long Island or Newark (of the Atlantic League)," Alonso said. "I talk to him a lot about the business of baseball. I've learned a lot from him."

Alonso didn't completely rule out signing. "I try to stay positive," he said. "I'd love to play. They just lost two big hitters. But if it doesn't work out, I'll move on."

The Reds picked Alonso seventh overall. Baseball's slot amount for that spot is around $2.8 million.

If the Reds went above that and offered Alonso a $3 million, big-league contract on Friday, what would happen?

"I'd go play independent league ball," he said.

If Alonso doesn't sign, he returns to the draft and the Reds get the eighth pick in next year's draft in addition to their regular first-rounder.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:32 AM   #216
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Good for the Reds. Why should this idiot get 4 million over the slotted amount?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:38 AM   #217
kurtism
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Good for the Reds?!? Why the heck draft this a-hole if you knew what he wanted? Is this another Jeremy Sowers pick? I thought (hoped against hope) that those days were behind this franchise.

Sigh. At least I can still remember 1990.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #218
rowech
Pro Starter

This is why the baseball draft is stupid.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #219
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just because he claims they knew his demands doesnt know they actualy did. I'm glad they arent caving to his demands. Let him rot in ARods apartment

Last edited by Lathum : 08-14-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #220
Captain2711
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
This is why the baseball draft is stupid.

Agreed. It's also why the Yankees and Red Sox continue to have "deep" farm systems. These players demand these contracts way over the normal amount and when they are redrafted by big market teams in the later rounds they still get the first round money they were originally slotted for.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #221
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain2711 View Post
Agreed. It's also why the Yankees and Red Sox continue to have "deep" farm systems. These players demand these contracts way over the normal amount and when they are redrafted by big market teams in the later rounds they still get the first round money they were originally slotted for.

Yep. The draft in any sport is supposed to one of the things that helps to give parity. In baseball, it's just another tool for the big market clubs to get the guys the small market teams can't.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #222
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yes, why negotiate? Clearly, he should be thankful anyone is giving him money.

The slotting system in MLB is absolutely BS - anyone with a cursory understanding of the process recognizes as a cost-control thing that is ignored by the majority of teams. That being said, if the Reds want to waste their pick, more power to them.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #223
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

so you think an unproven rookie player should get 7 million!??!!

Sorry, but I come from the school of thought that a player should prove themselves before getting enough money to be set for life.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #224
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- and your god damn right he should be thankful someone is giving him money to play a game
Old 08-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #225
MikeVic
Head Coach

Haha, he's talking to ARod. I don't know why that amuses me.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #226
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Haha, he's talking to ARod. I don't know why that amuses me.

made me laugh also, but I am sure he is getting great advice from ARod.

"Ask for more then twice the offer"

"Play in the International League and pray you dont get hurt"

"go back in the draft next year and hope the Yankees take you"

"Start off your career with a reputation as a prima donna "
Old 08-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #227
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Lathum: Alonso likely isn't worth seven or eight million, but not signing your first round pick when you knew ahead of time that he'd want extra money is poor management.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #228
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Lathum: Alonso likely isn't worth seven or eight million, but not signing your first round pick when you knew ahead of time that he'd want extra money is poor management.

I dont disagree, but I also don't want to see them cave into the demands of a kid who has never set foot on the field as a pro.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #229
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It's hard not to be depressed with these moves over the last year.

Hired Dusty Baker, Walt Jocketty and Bill Bavasi
Signed Paul Bako, Josh Fogg and Corey Patterson
Traded away the 2007 starting outfield and got no starting caliber position players in return
Drafted at #9, but likely won't sign the pick

There are some good players wearing the uniform, but Castellini and the rest of the management team have been terrible.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #230
korme
Go Reds

I'm torn on this- but all I know is that Yonder Alonso = douchebag.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #231
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
so you think an unproven rookie player should get 7 million!??!!

Sorry, but I come from the school of thought that a player should prove themselves before getting enough money to be set for life.

No, you come from the school that thinks a player shouldn't be able to get anywhere close to market value because it offends you. Alonso would get $7M on the free market. This may be the only big paycheck of his life - why the hell shouldn't he maximize it? He has leverage, and the Reds have leverage - I simply think its absurd to fault him for exercising his; more power to both parties. This constant notion that players should sacrifice their financial well being for the team is ridiculous .
Old 08-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #232
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
dola- and your god damn right he should be thankful someone is giving him money to play a game

Its a job dude - whether you like or not. Bitter that you don't make that kind of money doesn't excuse it. I wish I could make that kind of money but if I can't, I don't think its "unfair" that he does - he has skills that I don't and never will, and should be able to capitalize on them.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #233
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I have a bigger problem with the proven shitty players making tons of money than an unproven rookie player.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #234
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Bitter?

I'm not bitter and who are you to tell me what offends me? I'm all for players getting paid as much as they can. What I'm not for is someone completly unproven demanding far more then what the club is offering, there are alot of major leagures not making near as much so please explain to me how that equates to market value? Last years fist round pick got roughly 2 million so explain to me where you are getting his market value is 7 million? Call me crazy but I think people should earn their money, no matter how much they make or how they make it..
Old 08-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #235
larrymcg421
Head Coach

If Mike Hampton gives Alonso $7 million, would everyone be happy?

Old 08-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #236
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Bitter?

I'm not bitter and who are you to tell me what offends me? I'm all for players getting paid as much as they can. What I'm not for is someone completly unproven demanding far more then what the club is offering, there are alot of major leagures not making near as much so please explain to me how that equates to market value? Last years fist round pick got roughly 2 million so explain to me where you are getting his market value is 7 million? Call me crazy but I think people should earn their money, no matter how much they make or how they make it..

Your statement makes no logical sense. He is earning the money by virtue of what he has done in the past - his performance puts him in line to be drafted highly. The Reds have the choice of paying him, or not paying - he has the choice of sticking to his guns, or settling for less.

This statement
-"I'm all for players getting paid as much as they can"
is not reconcilable with this one
- "What I'm not for is someone completly unproven demanding far more then what the club is offering, there are alot of major leagures not making near as much so please explain to me how that equates to market value?"

Market value is what he would be worth on the free market. If you think he wouldn't get $7M, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #237
MikeVic
Head Coach

I have condoms in the Olympic Village to sell as well.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:32 PM   #238
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

So if the Reds had kept Dunn, and not signed Alonso they would have had 4 picks in the first round next season? Maybe thats why they traded him.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #239
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Please don't let that be true. That's even more depressing than thinking they didn't properly value Dunn.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #240
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Regardless, Dunn's tax bracket didn't match his production, at least not here. He'd have wanted too much money for what he provided. Dunn was who he was: a guy who could hit a baseball 400 feet more often than almost anyone else, but couldn't produce a two-out RBI single.

In Dunn's first game with the Diamondbacks, he hit a two run single with two outs.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:33 PM   #241
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
[/b]

In Dunn's first game with the Diamondbacks, he hit a two run single with two outs.

Not true. He went 1-3 with a double, then 1-5, then had the two run single last night. On the 1-5 night, with two outs in the bottom of the ninth and bases loaded, he grounded out to short. Much better than I thought he would do.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #242
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Dunn is a borderline star - never quite understand why he gets the crap he does, other than people who think "scrappy" is better than "good". Looking at the return now, and based on Owing's arm looking problematic, the Reds may have been better off taking the 2 draft picks for him (though I guess they save $4M this way)
Old 08-16-2008, 07:37 AM   #243
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...08179481_x.htm

Reds sign top draft pick 1B Yonder Alonso

By Joe Kay, AP Sports Writer
CINCINNATI — First baseman Yonder Alonso from Miami, the seventh overall pick in the amateur draft, agreed to a $4.55 million, five-year contract with the Cincinnati Reds shortly before baseball's midnight deadline on Friday.

Alonso's contract runs through 2012, includes a $2 million signing bonus. Alonso was the second pick from the draft to get a major league deal - Baltimore gave one to pitcher Brian Matusz, the fourth overall pick.

Besides the signing bonus, Alonso gets a $50,000 salary for the rest of this season, $400,000 next year, $500,000 in 2010, $600,000 in 2011 and $1 million in 2012. If he is eligible for salary arbitration after 2011, he can void the 2012 salary.

Alonso also will be invited to the Reds' spring training in 2009 and 2010.

The major league contract was part of Cincinnati's compromise. The Reds have nine players eligible for free agency after the season, so there will be room for Alonso on the 40-man roster.

"We think he'll be ready quickly," assistant general manager Bob Miller said. "And the other issue is we have a lot of free agents. We actually have some room. If it had been a really, really tight roster, it would have been much more difficult."

On the day he was drafted, Alonso said he was eager to get to Cincinnati and meet outfielders Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn, two of his favorites. Both were traded before Alonso signed with the team.

Alonso joins a team that is already developing a core of left-handed hitters. Joey Votto, a 24-year-old rookie, plays first base and bats left-handed, as does rookie outfielder Jay Bruce.

Alonso hits so well that the Reds couldn't pass him up. He led the Atlantic Coast Conference with 18 homers as a sophomore last year, batting .376 with 74 RBIs. As a junior this season, he hit 21 homers, drove in 66 runs and batted .370.

The last time the Reds failed to sign their top draft pick was 2001, when left-hander Jeremy Sowers chose to go to Vanderbilt. Sowers, the 20th overall pick that year, had insisted on $3 million to sign, but the Reds offered less than half that.

Also Friday, the Reds signed 16-year-old Venezuelan outfielder Yorman Rodriguez.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:42 AM   #244
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is any betting house taking action on Volquez needing Tommy John surgery in the next 2 years? Nothing like seeing Dusty run him out there in the 7th last night in a meaningless game. Sure he struck out the side, but with absolutely nothing at stake, why risk it? He's already gotta be close to a career high in innings pitched.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote