Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-19-2009, 07:41 PM   #201
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
That's cool GB. Part of the reason for doing a comp was to get people to try a roguelike and hopefully like it. Feel free to ask questions and post character dumps here if you want some advice and help.

Will do. Thanks!
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #202
Thomkal
Head Coach

Just finished my first real vault with this character. Was a bit worried about what was in there thanks to my ring of fate, but really the only things that concerned me were a mind flayer and a mummy which I took out with my Blue Dragon Scale Mail lightning attack and a Daemoness of Slaaneeth, which wasn't tough really. Had some breeders in there which thankfully never got going much. Picked up the third Chaos spell book, and a couple artifacts in it, the Cloak of Thorongil and the Gloves Cammithrim. Whew. Vaults are always a scary prospect, so you gotta take the time to prepare-go through your items and spells so you refresh your memory on what they can do, and find the best place to attack the vault from if you have multiple places and more importantly the best place to fight what comes out of the vault. Was able to use fist of force on this one to dissolve one piece of wall so they could only come out one at a time.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #203
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Still alive, but I'm going to post my character dump as I don't think I'll have much time to play tonight. Almost, but not quite, at lvl 31. I found a phenomenal vault my last trip with tons of stat pots, magic devices I'd not seen before, and the like, but also filled with some tough baddies. The Stormbringer that I killed took quite a while and a lot of scrolls of dimension door (my favorite spell in all of Z). Unfortunately, I had to leave it behind because I had no way to deal with an undead beholder that chased me all over (capable of slowing me to -10 spd, brain smashing, mind blanking, summoning powerful undead). Fortunately I had a good saving throw or I would've been toast. The sword I got from Stormbringer is awesome, but I can't use it as a swap weapon since it's heavily cursed and scrolls of *remove curse* are both rare and overly expensive. I dove down much farther than I would've ever normally gone if I was trying to keep my char alive in order to try and win (I lacked tons of resists, no res blindness was probably my biggest weakness, fortunately I didn't come across nether breathers).

All in all, I really like this version of Z because unlike other bands, it seems like getting resistances, speed, and just good items overall is far more challenging than these games typically are, which makes finding a really great item more rewarding.

Code:
[Z+Angband 0.3.2 Character Dump] Name : Duinith Age 18 STR: 38.6 Sex : Male Height 60 INT: 33.2 Race : Beastman Weight 137 WIS: 25.8 Class : Chaos-Warrior Social Class 78 DEX: 30.9 Magic : Chaos CON: 38.4 Patron : Balo CHR: 24.2 + Skill 26 Level 31 Max Hit Points 537 % Deadliness 290 Experience 207945 Cur Hit Points 537 + To AC 84 Max Exp 207945 Max SP (Mana) 105 Base AC 22 Exp to Adv. 54555 Cur SP (Mana) 105 Gold 22735 (Miscellaneous Abilities) Fighting : Superb Perception : Excellent Blows/Round : 5+1 Bows/Throw : Very Good Sensing : Very Good Shots/Round : 1.0 Saving Throw: Superb Disarming : Excellent Avg.Dam./Rnd: 92 Stealth : Excellent Magic Device: Superb Infra-Vision: 0' [Miscellaneous information] Preserve Mode: ON Small Levels: ON Maximum Level Reached: 55 (2750') Stat Intrnl Rce Cls Mod Actual Currnt abcdefghijkl@ Str: 25.6 2 2 9 38.6 2.s2..1..35.4 Int: 27.2 -2 1 7 33.2 ..s25........ Wis: 19.8 -1 0 7 25.8 ..s25........ Dex: 22.9 -1 1 8 30.9 22s2.....3..1 Con: 25.4 2 2 9 38.4 2.s2..1..35.2 Chr: 26.2 -4 -2 4 24.2 ..s2..1.....2 Skill abcdefghijkl@ BonusSP: ............. Stealth: .......4...41 Search : .....1.4..... Infra : ............. Tunnel : ............. Speed : ............. Blows : ............. abcdefghijkl@ Acid : ........++... Elec : ........+.... Fire : ........+.... Cold : ........+.... Poison: ........+.... Fear : ............. Light : ............. Dark : ............. Shard : ............. Blind : ............. Conf : ............+ Sound : ............+ Nether: ............. Nexus : .........+... Chaos : ............+ Disnch: ............. abcdefghijkl@ Reflect : ............. Aura Acid: ............. Aura Fire: ............. Aura Elec: ............. Aura Cold: ............. No Magic : ............. Free Actn: +...........+ SeeInvis.: +............ Hold Life: ..+.........+ Telepathy: ............. SlwDigstn: ......+...... Regen. : ............. Levitate : ............+ PermLite : .....+....... Mutate : ............+ Patron : ............+ Good Luck: ............. WeirdLuck: ............. Pass Wall: ............. GhulTouch: ............. abcdefghijkl@ Pr Animal: ............. Pr Evil : ............. Pr Undead: ............. Pr Demon : ............. Pr Orc : +............ Pr Troll : +............ Pr Giant : +............ Pr Dragon: ............. Cursed : ............. AutoCurse: ............. Teleport : ............. NoTeleprt: ............. Aggravate: ............. DrainStat: ............. Drain Exp: ............. Slow Heal: ............. Can't Eat: ............. EvilCurse: ............. You have defeated 5895 enemies. [Top 10 deepest kills] 1 The Stormbringer Level 65 (3250') 1 Judge Fear Level 63 (3150') 1 Spirit troll Level 60 (3000') 1 Eldrak Level 59 (2950') 3 Ettin Level 59 (2950') 1 Ancient black dragon Level 57 (2850') 3 Smoke elemental Level 57 (2850') 1 Death knight Level 57 (2850') 8 Magma elemental Level 57 (2850') 1 Xaren Level 56 (2800') [Mutations] You are telekinetic (-1 CON). You can teleport at will. You can emit bright light (-2 stealth). You can polymorph yourself at will. You can consume magic energy for your own use. You can emit confusing, blinding radiation (-1 stealth). You have a hallucinatory insanity. You have an elephantine trunk (dam 1d4, -1 CHR). You are puny (+2 DEX, -4 STR). Your flesh is rotting (-2 CON, -1 CHR). You have wings (+3 CHR, -1 CON). Your joints ache constantly (-3 DEX). Your movements are precise and forceful (+1 stealth). [Character Equipment] a) a Flail of Westernesse (2d6) (+10,+50%) (+2) You have full knowledge of this item. It increases your strength, dexterity and constitution by +2. It is especially deadly against orcs, trolls and giants. It provides immunity to paralysis. It allows you to see invisible monsters. It provides protection from orcs, trolls and giants. You bought it in a Weapon Smiths in Zathdin View. b) a Heavy Crossbow of Buckland (x6) (+10,+35%) (+2) It increases your dexterity by +2. It provides 1 extra shots per turn. It fires missiles with extra might. It cannot be harmed by acid or fire. You bought it in a Expert Warrior Hall in Heduz Town. c) a Ring of Permanence It sustains all your stats. It provides resistance to life draining. You bought it in a Black Market in Agrush Watch. d) a Ring of Augmentation (+2) It increases all your stats by +2. You found it in a vault at 1950'. e) an Amulet of Brilliance (+5) It increases your intelligence and wisdom by +5. You found it in a vault at 1950'. f) The Phial of Galadriel (+1) You have full knowledge of this item. It can be activated for powerful illumination every 10-20 turns (dam 10d15) if it is being worn. It provides light (radius 3). It increases your perception by +1. It provides permanent light. It cannot be harmed by the elements. It was dropped by a Uruk in a quest at 1300'. g) The Filthy Rag of Keri the Humble [1,+18] (+1) You have full knowledge of this item. It can be activated for create food every 100 turns if it is being worn. It increases your strength, constitution and charisma by +1. It sustains your strength. It slows your metabolism. It cannot be harmed by the elements. It was in a chest at 550'. h) an Elven Cloak [4,+10] (+4) It increases your stealth and perception by +4. It cannot be harmed by the elements. You found it in a wilderness monster pit. i) a Tower Shield of Resistance [8,+9] You have full knowledge of this item. It provides resistance to acid, electricity, fire, cold and poison. It cannot be harmed by the elements. You bought it in a Deep Warrior Hall in Ramtel View. j) The Steel Helm of Hammerhand [6,+19] (+3) You have full knowledge of this item. It increases your strength, dexterity and constitution by +3. It provides resistance to acid and nexus. It cannot be harmed by the elements. You found it in a vault at 1850'. k) The Set of Leather Gloves of the Ogre (+6,+30%) [1,+10] (+5) You have full knowledge of this item. It increases your strength and constitution by +5. It is easy to enchant. It cannot be harmed by the elements. You found it in a vault at 1850'. l) a Pair of Soft Leather Boots of Stealth [2,+10] (+4) It increases your stealth by +4. It cannot be harmed by acid. You found it on the floor at 400'. [Character Inventory] a) 2 Chaos Spellbooks [Sign of Chaos] b) 3 Chaos Spellbooks [Chaos Mastery] c) 11 Potions of Healing d) a Potion of Restore Mana e) 21 Scrolls of Teleportation f) 54 Scrolls of Identify g) 21 Scrolls of Detection {5% off} h) 12 Scrolls of Alchemy i) 16 Scrolls of Dimension Door j) 2 Rods of Trap Location k) a Rod of Recall l) a Rod of Enlightenment m) 2 Rods of Teleport Other n) 3 Rods of Light o) a Rod of Acid Balls p) 2 Rods of Lightning Balls q) a Rod of Fire Balls r) a Wand of Prismatic Blasts s) a Staff of Perception t) an Amulet of Greater Warding [+10] It provides protection from natural creatures, the undead, demons, orcs, trolls, giants and dragons. It cannot be harmed by the elements. It was dropped by Judge Fear at 2550'. u) The Blade of Chaos 'Stormbringer' (6d6) (+16,+80%) (+2) {cursed} You have full knowledge of this item. It increases your strength and constitution by +2. It drains life from your foes. It provides immunity to paralysis. It provides resistance to confusion, nether, nexus, chaos and life draining. It prevents teleportation. It produces an aura of fear. It drains your experience. It is heavily cursed. It cannot be harmed by the elements. It was dropped by The Stormbringer at 2700'. v) a Scythe of Slicing of Lightning (8d4) (+9,+50%) It does extra damage from electricity. It provides resistance to electricity. It cannot be harmed by electricity. You found it in a vault at 2550'. [Home Inventory - Ramtel View] a) a Potion of Curing b) 2 Scrolls of *Identify* c) a Staff of Curing (1 charge) [Home Inventory - Tarquet Watch] a) a Potion of Boldness b) a Potion of Speed c) 3 Potions of Heroism d) 3 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds {25% off} e) a Potion of *Healing* f) a Potion of Restore Mana g) a Potion of Restore Strength h) 2 Potions of Restore Dexterity i) a Potion of Restore Charisma j) 3 Scrolls of Phase Door k) 6 Scrolls of Word of Recall l) a Scroll of *Identify* m) 3 Scrolls of Remove Curse n) a Scroll of Enchant Armor o) a Rod of Trap Location p) a Wand of Stinking Cloud q) a Staff of Perception (10 charges) r) a Ring of Damage (+55%) [Home Inventory - Galran] a) 5 Potions of Detect Invisible b) 3 Scrolls of Word of Recall c) 2 Scrolls of *Identify* d) a Scroll of Magic Mapping e) 4 Scrolls of Satisfy Hunger {25% off} f) a Rod of Trap Location g) 2 Rods of Illumination h) a Wand of Scare Monster (8 charges) i) 5 Wands of Stinking Cloud j) 2 Wands of Wonder k) a Staff of Sense Monsters l) an Amulet of Sensing (+5) m) a Ring Mail of Resistance (-2) [12,+9] This item may have hidden powers. It provides resistance to acid, electricity, fire and cold. It cannot be harmed by the elements. It was granted to you by your Chaos Patron. n) a Beaked Axe (Holy Avenger) (2d6) (+11,+65%) [+1] (+1 attack) You have full knowledge of this item. It increases your wisdom by +1. It provides 1 extra blows per turn. It is especially deadly against demons, the undead and evil monsters. It sustains your intelligence. It provides resistance to fear. It allows you to see invisible monsters. It has been blessed by the gods. It provides protection from evil monsters, the undead and demons. You found it in a vault at 1750'. [Home Inventory - Ankhi] a) 2 Potions of Curing {25% off} b) an Iron Helm of Seeing [5,+5] (+3) This item may have hidden powers. It increases your perception by +3. It increases your infravision by 30 feet. It provides resistance to blindness. It allows you to see invisible monsters. It was given to you as a reward for clearing an area in Heduz Town. c) a Steel Helm of Seeing [6,+3] (+3) This item may have hidden powers. It increases your perception by +3. It increases your infravision by 30 feet. It provides resistance to blindness. It allows you to see invisible monsters. It was dropped by a Olog at 2250'. d) 7 Steel Bolts of Flame (1d15) (+5,+35%) (142/142) It does extra damage from fire. It cannot be harmed by fire. You bought them in a Expert Weapon Smiths in Heduz Town. [Home Inventory - Zathdin View] a) a Chaos Spellbook [Chaos Mastery] b) a Scroll of Remove Curse c) a Scroll of Enchant Armor d) a Wand of Slow Monster e) a Wand of Wonder f) an Amulet of Sensing g) an Amulet of Resistance You have full knowledge of this item. It provides resistance to acid, electricity, fire and cold. It cannot be harmed by the elements. You found it in a vault at 2550'. h) The Chain Mail of Command (-2) [14,+15] (+2) You have full knowledge of this item. It can be activated for mass charm every 600 turns if it is being worn. It increases your strength and charisma by +2. It provides resistance to acid, electricity, fire, cold, poison and nexus. It cannot be harmed by the elements. You found it in a vault at 2550'. i) an Iron Crown of Regeneration [0,+4] It speeds your regenerative powers. You bought it in a Advanced Milliner in Zathdin View. [Home Inventory - Heduz Town] a) a Potion of Curing b) a Scroll of *Identify* c) 3 Scrolls of *Enchant Weapon* d) a Rod of Pesticide e) a Ring of See Invisible It allows you to see invisible monsters. You found it on the floor in a quest at 1700'. f) a Ring of Strength (+3) It sustains your strength. You found it in a vault at 1750'. g) a Ring of Intelligence (+3) It increases your intelligence by +3. It sustains your intelligence. You bought it in a Silver Jeweler in Ramtel View. h) a Ring of Damage (+75%) i) a Ring of Damage (+55%) j) an Amulet of Protection from Evil It provides protection from evil monsters. You found it in a vault at 1750'. k) an Amulet of Protection from Undead (+3) It increases your wisdom by +3. It provides protection from the undead. You found it in a vault at 1750'. l) an Amulet of Luck You have full knowledge of this item. It increases your saving throws by +10. It allows you to levitate. It was granted to you by your Chaos Patron. m) a Cloak of Protection [1,+11] It cannot be harmed by the elements. It was dropped by Robin Hood, the Outlaw in a quest at 600'. n) a Pair of Metal Shod Boots of Free Action [6,+10] It provides immunity to paralysis. You found it in a vault at 1950'. o) a Heavy Crossbow of Extra Shots (x5) (+13,+35%) It provides 1 extra shots per turn. It was granted to you by your Chaos Patron. [Spells] You have learned 11 spells and/or improvements. You have 3 tier-1 slots (levels 2-11) remaining. You have 2 tier-2 slots (levels 2-21) remaining. You have 3 tier-3 slots (levels 2-31) remaining. You have 6 tier-4 slots (levels 2-41) remaining. You have 5 tier-5 slots (levels 2-50) remaining. Chaos Magic: Book 1: Cost Fail% Power% -------------------------------------------------------- Magic Missile 1 4% +40% specialized Trap / Door Destruction 2 5% 0% Blink 2 5% 0% Mana Burst 5 4% +40% specialized Book 2: Cost Fail% Power% -------------------------------------------------------- Fist of Force 9 5% 0% Wonder 6 5% 0% Sonic Boom 15 5% 0%
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #204
Thomkal
Head Coach

Great job there JAG. I agree with you about Z+ being more challenging than most *bands when it comes to getting resistances, speed etc. Heck it took a while before I got my first non demon-patron provided ego item. I was still using a regular cloak until I got that artifact one in the vault. Looks like that Blade of Chaos will be awesome if you can get it uncursed.

I also find your spell choices very interesting, going the specialized route on a few spells leaving quite a few spells untaken. How do you think that's worked out for you?

Well done! I'm still going to play my character a bit today, but very unlikely I will get into the 30's.

Last edited by Thomkal : 04-20-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #205
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Looks like that Blade of Chaos will be awesome if you can get it uncursed.

The curse is a bummer, for this competition, the drain exp is a bummer as well, and I need a source for res invisible (maybe a ring of see invisible since I haven't found a decent item to provide it. Even better would probably be a helm of seeing with res blind, see invisible, and telepathy if I found it in a shop). But clearly it'd be a huge step up from my current weapon even if I lose 4-5 to strength / dex / con in the transition.

Quote:
I also find your spell choices very interesting, going the specialized route on a few spells leaving quite a few spells untaken. How do you think that's worked out for you?

Fairly well I think. Ideally I would've liked area of effect spells that do lots of an unresistable damage type, failing that I would've liked spells that do a lot of unresistable damage to a single monster. Unfortunately there weren't many or any spells that met those requirements. Magic Missile and Mana Burst were my bread and butter distance spells. I learned Wonder as I was fighting some unique (king of the neiblungs I think) hoping to get some damage type that would beat him, but never used it since. Blink and trap destruction were used as they would be typically. Fist of Force was almost entirely for tunneling. None of the other damage spells in the first two books were all that tempting to me based on what I was looking for. Specializing was just a way to get more damage and a slightly lower mana cost out of them.

Last edited by JAG : 04-20-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #206
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
The curse is a bummer, for this competition, the drain exp is a bummer as well, and I need a source for res invisible (maybe a ring of see invisible since I haven't found a decent item to provide it. Even better would probably be a helm of seeing with res blind, see invisible, and telepathy if I found it in a shop). But clearly it'd be a huge step up from my current weapon even if I lose 4-5 to strength / dex / con in the transition.

Fairly well I think. Ideally I would've liked area of effect spells that do lots of an unresistable damage type, failing that I would've liked spells that do a lot of unresistable damage to a single monster. Unfortunately there weren't many or any spells that met those requirements. Magic Missile and Mana Burst were my bread and butter distance spells. I learned Wonder as I was fighting some unique (king of the neiblungs I think) hoping to get some damage type that would beat him, but never used it since. Blink and trap destruction were used as they would be typically. Fist of Force was almost entirely for tunneling. None of the other damage spells in the first two books were all that tempting to me based on what I was looking for. Specializing was just a way to get more damage and a slightly lower mana cost out of them.

I don't find myself using my area of effect spells that often thanks to my Blue Dragon Scale Mail and a Chaos-Warrior's dream Rod-a Rod of Havoc that does a random attack. But Mana Burst, Chain Lightning, Fist of Force, Sonic Boom have all come in handy at times, and I'd be using them a lot if I didn't have the armor and rod. I've stayed away from Wonder because of the bad effects it can have. I use Fire Bolt a lot as my upgraded magic missile when I need to take out a potentially dangerous monster, like a summoner, quickly. Immolation can be good too as a little extra damage against the large mobs. Can't wait to get Fire Ball and possibly Beam of Energy when I level next. I'm not sure what the spells do in the Armageddon Tome do, but I'm betting they are all pretty nasty.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #207
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe I should've given a dragon scale mail a shot. In most variants I just sell them in favor of artifact armor, but given that those are very difficult to find in Z+ (I still haven't found better than that artifact rag) your idea is pretty reasonable.

In the original Z, the highest chaos spells were extremely nasty. Lots and lots of unresistable ball / beam damage, maybe even a 'hit all monsters in sight' one. The other reason I've stayed away from some of the higher level spells is because the fail rates are still through the roof and chaos has a chance of something nasty happening if you fail.

Anyway, there wasn't really a good reason to stay away from the other spells you mentioned since the slots weren't being used anyway. I guess my thinking was they couldn't help against the monsters I couldn't handle in other ways, but looking back it might've made the going quicker through some sets of monsters I was able to dispatch eventually anyway.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #208
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Maybe I should've given a dragon scale mail a shot. In most variants I just sell them in favor of artifact armor, but given that those are very difficult to find in Z+ (I still haven't found better than that artifact rag) your idea is pretty reasonable.

In the original Z, the highest chaos spells were extremely nasty. Lots and lots of unresistable ball / beam damage, maybe even a 'hit all monsters in sight' one. The other reason I've stayed away from some of the higher level spells is because the fail rates are still through the roof and chaos has a chance of something nasty happening if you fail.

Anyway, there wasn't really a good reason to stay away from the other spells you mentioned since the slots weren't being used anyway. I guess my thinking was they couldn't help against the monsters I couldn't handle in other ways, but looking back it might've made the going quicker through some sets of monsters I was able to dispatch eventually anyway.

*Shrug* You're still alive and Level 31, so your spell choices are working for you. The area of effect spells work for me cause unless I find something to cure a mutation or get some speed items, I'm at -2 speed. The pack mobs I'm facing right now-wolves, white wolves, war boars, hounds etc, love to run away from me and then catch back up when I turn and go another way. AOE spells help take them out easier for me.

Dragon scale mails do seem to be more valuable in this version, at least so far. I would tend to sell them too because at the level you usually find them, you are looking for armor with high resists and sustains which a lot of the dragon mails don't have. But finding it as early as did has been a godsend... er I mean demon patronsend. It'll be a tough decision when I find some armor that offers more resists and sustains.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #209
Thomkal
Head Coach

Just about to hit level 26, which is likely as far as I will get with the comp. Just found a Two-Handed Sword of Sharpness in the dungeon-they have a chance of doing additional damage, then it checks again and again to do even more damage until it fails the check. Sweet.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #210
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Just a reminder that the comp ends tomorrow at 11:59 EST-so far only Mali has posted an official entry. Even if you can't beat his level, would love to see your character dump to see what happened with your version of the character. Hope you all enjoyed the comp as much as I did.

I'll post my ill-fated character I gave up on after a fit of pique at Balo tonight. At least he didn't die.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #211
Tasan
College Starter

I'm closing in on 25. I just haven't had the time to pour into it. I finally found a *remove curse*, and affordable to boot, so I can take my weapon off now for something better...unfortunately nothing better is coming along now...gah...gonna try to get to 25, maybe 26 by tonight.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #212
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
I'm closing in on 25. I just haven't had the time to pour into it. I finally found a *remove curse*, and affordable to boot, so I can take my weapon off now for something better...unfortunately nothing better is coming along now...gah...gonna try to get to 25, maybe 26 by tonight.

yay Tasan, glad you got that *remove curse* at last!
Old 04-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #213
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well just hit level 26-hello fireball! Likely to be as far as I get tonight, so here's my character dump:
Code:
[Z+Angband 0.3.2 Character Dump] Name : Duinith Age 18 STR: 24.5 Sex : Male Height 60 INT: 21.3 Race : Beastman Weight 137 WIS: 21.8 Class : Chaos-Warrior Social Class 78 DEX: 21.1 Magic : Chaos Con: 22.5 23.5 Patron : Balo CHR: 13.1 + Skill 11 Level 26 Max Hit Points 344 % Deadliness 180 Experience 33577 Cur Hit Points 344 + To AC 76 Max Exp 33577 Max SP (Mana) 48 Base AC 46 Exp to Adv. 10173 Cur SP (Mana) 43 Gold 60182 (Miscellaneous Abilities) Fighting : Excellent Perception : Excellent Blows/Round : 2 Bows/Throw : Fair Sensing : Excellent Shots/Round : 1.0 Saving Throw: Superb Disarming : Good Avg.Dam./Rnd: 42 Stealth : Poor Magic Device: Superb Infra-Vision: 30' [Miscellaneous information] Preserve Mode: ON Small Levels: ON Maximum Level Reached: 21 (1050') Stat Intrnl Rce Cls Mod Actual Currnt abcdefghijkl@ Str: 21.5 2 2 -1 24.5 ..s.........1 Int: 22.3 -2 1 0 21.3 ............. Wis: 22.8 -1 0 0 21.8 ............. Dex: 21.1 -1 1 0 21.1 ............. Con: 18.5 2 2 1 23.5 22.5 ..........s.2 Chr: 19.1 -4 -2 0 13.1 ..s.........3 Skill abcdefghijkl@ BonusSP: ............. Stealth: ...........21 Search : .....1...3... Infra : .........3... Tunnel : 4............ Speed : ............. Blows : ............. abcdefghijkl@ Acid : .......++...v Elec : ......+.+...v Fire : ........+...v Cold : ........+...v Poison: ............. Fear : ............. Light : ..........+.. Dark : ............. Shard : ............. Blind : .........+... Conf : ............+ Sound : ............+ Nether: ............. Nexus : ............. Chaos : ............. Disnch: ............. abcdefghijkl@ Reflect : ............. Aura Acid: ............. Aura Fire: ............. Aura Elec: ............. Aura Cold: ............. No Magic : ............. Free Actn: .......+..+.. SeeInvis.: .......+.+... Hold Life: ............. Telepathy: ............. SlwDigstn: ............. Regen. : ............. Levitate : ............+ PermLite : .....+....+.. Mutate : ............+ Patron : ............+ Good Luck: ............. WeirdLuck: ...+......... Pass Wall: ............. GhulTouch: ............. abcdefghijkl@ Pr Animal: ............. Pr Evil : ....+........ Pr Undead: ............. Pr Demon : ............. Pr Orc : ............. Pr Troll : ............. Pr Giant : ............. Pr Dragon: ............. Cursed : ............. AutoCurse: ............. Teleport : ............. NoTeleprt: ............. Aggravate: ............. DrainStat: ............. Drain Exp: ............. Slow Heal: ............. Can't Eat: ............. EvilCurse: ............. You have defeated 5500 enemies. [Top 10 deepest kills] 1 Young green dragon Level 42 (2100') 1 Mind flayer Level 39 (1950') 1 Giant grey ant Level 37 (1850') 3 Mummy Level 34 (1700') 12 Hardened warrior Level 31 (1550') 1 Ranger Level 30 (1500') 4 Cloud giant Level 30 (1500') 1 Blue dragon bat Level 30 (1500') 1 Daemonette of Slaanesh Level 29 (1450') 9 Mummified orc Level 29 (1450') [Mutations] You can Mind Blast your enemies (-1 STR). You can smell nearby monsters. You can emit bright light (-2 stealth). You can polymorph yourself at will. You can run for your life after hitting something. You receive warnings about your foes. Your blood sometimes rushes to your muscles. You are extremely fat (+2 CON, -2 speed). Your skin is covered with warts (-2 CHR, +5 AC). Your skin has turned into scales (-1 CHR, +10 AC). You have wings (+3 CHR, -1 CON). You are susceptible to damage from the elements. [Character Equipment] a) a Two-Handed Sword of Sharpness (3d6) (+9,+40%) (+4) It increases your ability to dig by +4. It is very sharp and can cut your foes. You found it on the floor at 950'. b) a Long Bow (x3) (+6,+35%) c) a Calcite Ring of Sustain Physique {25% off} It sustains your strength and charisma. You bought it in a Bazaar in Tarquet Watch. d) a Jade Ring of Fate It warps fate around you. You found it on the floor at 650'. e) a Mirrored Amulet of Protection from Evil It provides protection from evil monsters. It was dropped by Smeagol in a quest at 300'. f) The Phial of Galadriel (+1) You have full knowledge of this item. It can be activated for powerful illumination every 10-20 turns (dam 10d15) if it is being worn. It provides light (radius 3). It increases your perception by +1. It provides permanent light. It cannot be harmed by the elements. You found it on the floor at 750'. g) a Blue Dragon Scale Mail (-2) [30,+13] It can be activated for breathe lightning (330) every 50-100 turns if it is being worn. It provides resistance to electricity. It cannot be harmed by the elements. It was granted to you by your Chaos Patron. h) The Cloak of Thorongil [1,+10] You have full knowledge of this item. It increases your perception by +2. It provides immunity to paralysis. It provides resistance to acid. It allows you to see invisible monsters. It cannot be harmed by the elements. You found it in a vault at 850'. i) a Small Shield of Resistance [5,+9] You have full knowledge of this item. It provides resistance to acid, electricity, fire and cold. It cannot be harmed by the elements. You bought it in a Shieldsman in Galran. j) a Steel Helm of Seeing [6,+9] (+3) You have full knowledge of this item. It increases your perception by +3. It increases your infravision by 30 feet. It provides resistance to blindness. It allows you to see invisible monsters. You bought it in a Milliner in Galran. k) The Set of Leather Gloves 'Cammithrim' [1,+10] You have full knowledge of this item. It can be activated for magic missile (3d6) every 2 turns if it is being worn. It sustains your constitution. It provides immunity to paralysis. It provides resistance to bright light. It provides permanent light. It cannot be harmed by the elements. You found it in a vault at 850'. l) a Pair of Hard Leather Boots of Stealth [3,+8] (+2) It increases your stealth by +2. It was in a chest at 450'. [Character Inventory] a) 2 Chaos Spellbooks [Sign of Chaos] b) 2 Chaos Spellbooks [Chaos Mastery] c) an Oily Yellow Potion of Neutralize Poison d) 5 Silver Speckled Potions of Speed e) 7 Green Potions of Healing {10% off} f) 12 Scrolls titled "ala ish lawed" of Teleportation g) 3 Scrolls titled "ivwun tabpet" of Word of Recall {25% off} h) 3 Scrolls titled "ishtrol agarze" of Remove Curse i) 8 Scrolls titled "khoevs micmur" of Satisfy Hunger {25% off} j) a Zirconium-Plated Rod of Trap Location k) a Rusty Rod of Door/Stair Location (charging) l) a Silver-Plated Rod of Havoc m) a Driftwood Staff of Perception (26 charges) n) a Cypress Staff of Cure Medium Wounds o) a Hard Studded Leather [7] p) a Small Shield [5] {average} q) a Dagger (1d4) (+4,+25%) It is perfectly balanced for throwing. It was dropped by a Mummy at 950'. r) a Javelin (1d6) s) a Lucerne Hammer (2d5) {average} t) a Flail (Defender) (2d6) (+9,+40%) [+4] (+2) You have full knowledge of this item. It increases your stealth by +2. It sustains your wisdom. It provides immunity to paralysis. It provides resistance to acid, electricity, fire, cold, poison and chaos. It allows you to levitate, allows you to see invisible monsters and speeds your regenerative powers. It cannot be harmed by the elements. You bought it in a Warrior Hall in Tarquet Watch. u) 7 Arrows (1d10) (+7,+25%) (31/31) v) 23 Iron Shots (4d2) (+6,+30%) [Home Inventory - Tarquet Watch] a) a Chaos Spellbook [Sign of Chaos] b) a Brown Spotted Mushroom of Lesser Restoration c) 2 Grey Mushrooms of Lore d) 3 Purple Speckled Potions of Cure Critical Wounds e) 3 Bloody Potions of Restore Intelligence {50% off} f) 2 Clear Red Potions of Restore Wisdom g) 2 Creamy Potions of Restore Dexterity h) a Yellow Potion of Restore Constitution i) 2 Scrolls titled "ishtrol agarze" of Remove Curse {25% off} j) 2 Rusty Rods of Door/Stair Location k) 3 Adamantite Rods of Illumination l) a Bone Rod of Disarming {90% off} m) a Molybdenum Rod of Fire Balls (charging) n) an Iron Ring of Slow Digestion It slows your metabolism. It was dropped by a Nibelung at 550'. o) a Hard Leather Cap of Intelligence [2,+9] (+1) It increases your intelligence by +1. It sustains your intelligence. You bought it in a Warrior Hall in Galran. p) a Broad Sword of Westernesse (2d5) (+9,+40%) (+1) You have full knowledge of this item. It increases your strength, dexterity and constitution by +1. It is especially deadly against orcs, trolls and giants. It provides immunity to paralysis. It provides resistance to fear. It allows you to see invisible monsters. It provides protection from orcs, trolls and giants. You found it on the floor at 950'. q) a Battle Axe of Flame (2d8) (+9,+35%) It does extra damage from fire. It provides resistance to fire. It provides permanent light. It cannot be harmed by fire. It was dropped by Wormtongue, Agent of Saruman at 600'. r) a Mace of Slay Orc (2d4) (+8,+45%) It is especially deadly against orcs. It provides protection from orcs. It was dropped by a Novice warrior at 550'. s) a Light Crossbow of Accuracy (x4) (+4,+35%) t) 53 Bolts (1d10) {average} u) 32 Arrows (1d10) (+4,+5%) (28/28) v) a Small quiver w) a Small quiver [Home Inventory - Galran] a) a Chaos Spellbook [Armageddon Tome] It cannot be harmed by the elements. You found it in a vault at 850'. b) a Scroll titled "u erkjo shuevs" of *Enchant Armor* c) a Driftwood Staff of Perception (15 charges) d) a Sycamore Staff of Restoration (4 charges) e) a Set of Cesti of Free Action [5,+8] It provides immunity to paralysis. It was granted to you by your Chaos Patron. f) a Shovel (1d2) (+0,+0%) (+1) [Home Inventory - Zathdin View] a) 2 Creamy Potions of Restore Dexterity b) a Coagulated Crimson Potion of Restore Charisma c) a Scroll titled "ishtrol agarze" of Remove Curse {90% off} d) 2 Zirconium-Plated Rods of Trap Location e) a Driftwood Staff of Perception (16 charges) f) an Onyx Ring of Free Action It provides immunity to paralysis. It was dropped by a Young green dragon at 750'. g) a Stained Glass Amulet of Sensing (+7) h) a Ball-and-Chain of Slay Undead (2d4) (+8,+35%) It is especially deadly against the undead. It provides resistance to life draining. It provides protection from the undead. It was granted to you by your Chaos Patron. i) 19 Orcish Arrows (1d8) (+9,+25%) (25/25) [Spells] You have learned 17 spells and/or improvements. You have 0 tier-1 slots (levels 2-11) remaining. You have 0 tier-2 slots (levels 2-21) remaining. You have 2 tier-3 slots (levels 2-31) remaining. You have 6 tier-4 slots (levels 2-41) remaining. You have 5 tier-5 slots (levels 2-50) remaining. Chaos Magic: Book 1: Cost Fail% Power% -------------------------------------------------------- Magic Missile 1 4% +10% improved Trap / Door Destruction 2 5% 0% Flash of Light 3 5% 0% Blink 2 5% 0% Static Field 4 5% 0% Mana Burst 5 4% +10% improved Immolation 7 5% 0% Fire Bolt 8 5% 0% Book 2: Cost Fail% Power% -------------------------------------------------------- Fist of Force 9 5% 0% Teleport Self 9 5% 0% Chain Lightning 15 5% 0% Field of Chaos 14 32% 0% Sonic Boom 15 41% 0% Beam of Energy 16 50% 0% Fire Ball 18 50% 0% [Quests] ====Active quests==== From a Courier in Zathdin View (Danger level 0): Carry a message to Araord Disease-Carrier in Ramtel View. From a Courier in Galran (Danger level 0): Carry a message to Charity Humanslayer in Heduz Town. From a Warriors' Guild in Tarquet Watch (Danger level 16): A Baby green dragon has been killing people in the area south-west of Galran. Track it to its home and slay it. From a Mages' Guild in Galran (Danger level 16): Too many nagas have been lurking in the area north-west of Anmer. Discover their den and slay them all. From a Town Hall in Tarquet Watch (Danger level 17): Many venomous insects have been hiding in the area near Tarquet Watch. Discover their abode and kill them all. From a Thieves' Guild in Zathdin View (Danger level 20): Lots of spirits have been running amok in the area north-west of Tarquet Watch. Discover their den and kill them all. From a Castle in Galran (Danger level 23): Ulfast, Son of Ulfang and his minions have been hiding in the area north of Galran. Find his den and destroy him. From a Keep in Anmer (Danger level 26): A Griffon and its gang have been spreading evil in the area north-west of Anmer. Find their den and kill them. From a Castle in Zathdin View (Danger level 27): Clear 2 levels of a certain lair north-east of Agrush Watch. ====Finished quests==== Carry a message to Fsanong the Trusted in Zathdin View. (Finished) (Danger level 1): Smeagol has been killing people in the area near Zathdin View. Track him to his den and destroy him. (Finished) (Danger level 4): A Green icky thing has been lurking in the area near Anmer. Track it to its stronghold and destroy it. (Finished) (Danger level 7): Robin Hood, the Outlaw has been killing people in the area south of Zathdin View. Track him to his lair and destroy him. (Finished) (Danger level 11): We have heard that a number of swarming insects have been running amok in the area near Tarquet Watch. Discover their hideout and slay them all. (Finished) (Danger level 11): A number of wizards have been seen in the area south-east of Galran. Discover their lair and slay them all. (Finished) (Danger level 12): Brodda, the Easterling and his minions have been spotted in the area near Galran. Find his lair and kill him. (Finished) (Danger level 12): Kill the 5 Knight archers that are guarding dungeon level 12. ( 600ft) (Finished) (Danger level 12): Recently, terrors of the deep have been running amok in the area south-east of Galran. Discover their lair and kill them all. (Finished) (Danger level 16): Golfimbul, the Hill Orc Chief and his minions have been spotted in the area north-east of Tarquet Watch. Find his hideout and kill him. (Finished) (Danger level 17): A Kobold chieftain and its minions have been hiding in the area near Tarquet Watch. Find their hideout and destroy them. (Finished)

Last edited by Thomkal : 04-20-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #214
Tasan
College Starter

Well, this is probably all I'm going to get to play tonight. Made it to level 25, and a good bit towards level 26. My cloak is pretty cool, but it really frustrated me when I got it. I had just laid out 20k gold for a nice elven cloak, then went down to do a quest. The guy I had to kill for the quest was carrying the cloak you see on me. I only got 2500 gold back for my elven cloak. GAH

Anyway, here I am:

Code:
[Z+Angband 0.3.2 Character Dump] Name : Duinith Age 18 STR: 24.7 Sex : Female Height 63 INT: 21.4 Race : Vampire Weight 166 WIS: 13.4 Class : Chaos-Warrior Social Class 78 Dex: 16.6 16.9 Magic : Chaos Con: 20.0 20.5 Patron : Balo CHR: 14.6 + Skill 28 Level 25 Max Hit Points 271 % Deadliness 255 Experience 36648 Cur Hit Points 262 + To AC 39 Max Exp 36648 Max SP (Mana) 34 Base AC 27 Exp to Adv. 4477 Cur SP (Mana) 34 Gold 16534 (Miscellaneous Abilities) Fighting : Superb Perception : Superb Blows/Round : 2+1 Bows/Throw : Fair Sensing : Excellent Shots/Round : 1.0 Saving Throw: Superb Disarming : Good Avg.Dam./Rnd: 41 Stealth : Superb Magic Device: Superb Infra-Vision: 70' [Miscellaneous information] Preserve Mode: ON Small Levels: ON Maximum Level Reached: 26 (1300') Stat Intrnl Rce Cls Mod Actual Currnt abcdefghijkl@ Str: 13.7 3 2 6 24.7 ......2...4.. Int: 17.4 3 1 0 21.4 ............. Wis: 14.4 -1 0 0 13.4 ............. Dex: 16.9 -1 1 0 16.9 16.6 ............. Con: 15.5 1 2 2 20.5 20.0 ......2...... Chr: 13.6 2 -2 1 14.6 .........1..2 Skill abcdefghijkl@ BonusSP: ............. Stealth: ...........3. Search : ....7........ Infra : ......2...... Tunnel : ............. Speed : ............. Blows : ............. abcdefghijkl@ Acid : .......+..... Elec : +......+..... Fire : .......+..... Cold : .......+....+ Poison: .......+....+ Fear : ............. Light : ............v Dark : ............* Shard : ............. Blind : ............. Conf : ............. Sound : ............. Nether: ............+ Nexus : ............. Chaos : ............. Disnch: ............. abcdefghijkl@ Reflect : ............. Aura Acid: ............. Aura Fire: ............. Aura Elec: ............. Aura Cold: ............. No Magic : ............. Free Actn: ......+...... SeeInvis.: ............. Hold Life: ............+ Telepathy: ............. SlwDigstn: ............. Regen. : ............. Levitate : ............. PermLite : .....+......+ Mutate : ............. Patron : ............+ Good Luck: ............. WeirdLuck: ............. Pass Wall: ............. GhulTouch: ............. abcdefghijkl@ Pr Animal: ............. Pr Evil : ............. Pr Undead: ............. Pr Demon : ............. Pr Orc : ............. Pr Troll : ............. Pr Giant : ............. Pr Dragon: +............ Cursed : ............. AutoCurse: ............. Teleport : ............. NoTeleprt: ............. Aggravate: ............. DrainStat: ............. Drain Exp: ............. Slow Heal: ............. Can't Eat: ............. EvilCurse: ............. You have defeated 6102 enemies. [Top 10 deepest kills] 1 Impact hound Level 51 (2550') 1 Half-troll Level 46 (2300') 2 Young red dragon Level 41 (2050') 1 Dark elven warlock Level 37 (1850') 1 Phase spider Level 30 (1500') 10 Earth hound Level 30 (1500') 2 Giant yellow scorpion Level 30 (1500') 15 Vampiric mist Level 30 (1500') 3 Werebear Level 29 (1450') 9 Cold hound Level 28 (1400') [Mutations] You have a scorpion tail (poison, 3d7, -3 CHR). Your health is subject to chaotic forces. [Character Equipment] a) a Halberd of Slay Dragon (3d5) (+10,+40%) It is especially deadly against dragons. It provides resistance to electricity. It provides protection from dragons. It was granted to you by your Chaos Patron. b) (nothing) c) an Emerald Ring of Damage (+55%) d) a Wedding Ring of Accuracy (+13) e) a Stained Glass Amulet of Sensing (+7) It increases your perception by +7. You bought it in a Temple in Tarquet Watch. f) a Brass Lantern of Everburning It provides permanent light. It cannot be harmed by fire. You bought it in a Supplies Store in Tarquet Watch. g) a Metal Scale Mail (Dwarven) (-2) [13,+9] (+2) It increases your strength and constitution by +2. It increases your infravision by 20 feet. It provides immunity to paralysis. It cannot be harmed by acid or fire. It was granted to you by your Chaos Patron. h) The Cloak 'Colluin' [1,+15] You have full knowledge of this item. It can be activated for resistance (20-40) every 111 turns if it is being worn. It provides resistance to acid, electricity, fire, cold and poison. It cannot be harmed by the elements. It was dropped by Mothglin, the Dark Elven Mystic in a quest at 750'. i) a Small Shield [5,+0] {90% off} j) a Jingasa of Beauty [4,+3] (+1) It increases your charisma by +1. It sustains your charisma. You bought it in a Milliner in Galran. k) a Set of Gauntlets of Power (+5,+20%) [2,+4] (+4) This item may have hidden powers. It increases your strength by +4. It was given to you as a reward for clearing an area in Heduz Town. l) a Pair of Soft Leather Boots of Stealth [2,+7] (+3) It increases your stealth by +3. You bought it in a Warrior Hall in Tarquet Watch. [Character Inventory] a) a Chaos Spellbook [Sign of Chaos] b) a Chaos Spellbook [Chaos Mastery] c) 10 Green Spotted Mushrooms of Cure Critical Wounds d) 3 Inky Black Potions of Cure Serious Wounds {25% off} e) 2 Purple Speckled Potions of Cure Critical Wounds f) a Coagulated Crimson Potion of Restore Charisma g) 2 Blue Speckled Potions of Preservation h) 3 Scrolls titled "ala ish lawed" of Teleportation i) a Scroll titled "kliswed byt" of Enchant Weapon Damage j) 13 Scrolls titled "khoevs micmur" of Satisfy Hunger {25% off} k) a Rusty Rod of Door/Stair Location l) a Palladium Rod of Recall m) a Crystal Wand of Fire Bolts (14 charges) n) a Driftwood Staff of Perception (12 charges) o) a Birch Staff of Enlightenment (10 charges) p) a Pine Staff of Detect Invisible (35 charges) q) a Balsa Staff of Sense Monsters (10 charges) r) a Copper Ring of Sustain Mind It sustains your intelligence and wisdom. You found it on the floor in a quest at 1200'. s) a Diamond-studded Ring of Constitution (+3) {25% off} It increases your constitution by +3. It sustains your constitution. You bought it in a High Temple in Zathdin View. t) a Small Shield [5] {average} u) a Pair of Hard Leather Boots [3,+4] v) a War Hammer (3d3) (+4,+30%) [Home Inventory - Ramtel View] a) 4 Pink Spotted Mushrooms of Plenty b) a Jade Ring of Fate It warps fate around you. You bought it in a Bazaar in Tarquet Watch. c) a Morning Star (Chaotic) (2d6) (+0,+10%) (+1) This item may have hidden powers. It produces chaotic effects. It provides resistance to chaos. It attracts the attention of chaos gods. It cannot be harmed by acid, electricity or fire. It was dropped by a Frost giant in the wilderness. [Home Inventory - Tarquet Watch] a) 16 Pink Spotted Mushrooms of Plenty b) 2 Stinking Potions of Restore Strength c) a Bloody Potion of Restore Intelligence d) 2 Clear Red Potions of Restore Wisdom e) 2 Creamy Potions of Restore Dexterity f) a Coagulated Crimson Potion of Restore Charisma g) 5 Scrolls titled "foonin odeep" of Identify h) a Scroll titled "ishtrol agarze" of Remove Curse i) a Scroll titled "niserk bekmon" of Alchemy j) a Copper Ring of Sustain Mind It sustains your intelligence and wisdom. You found it on the floor in a quest at 1300'. k) a Fire Opal Ring of Resist Fire and Cold [+2] It provides resistance to fire and cold. It cannot be harmed by fire or cold. You found it on the floor in a quest at 1250'. l) a Jade Ring of Fate It warps fate around you. It was dropped by a Half-orc at 900'. m) a Pair of Metal Shod Boots of Free Action [6,+4] It provides immunity to paralysis. It was dropped by Robin Hood, the Outlaw in a quest at 600'. [Home Inventory - Galran] a) 3 Bloody Potions of Restore Intelligence b) 2 Creamy Potions of Restore Dexterity c) 2 Yellow Potions of Restore Constitution d) 8 Scrolls titled "foonin odeep" of Identify e) a Bloodstone Ring of Resist Cold It provides resistance to cold. It cannot be harmed by cold. It was dropped by a Moon beast at 900'. f) a Marble Ring of Protection [+10] g) a Long Bow of Velocity (x3) (+4,+80%) h) 19 Sheaf Arrows (1d14) (+0,+0%) i) a Small quiver [Home Inventory - Zathdin View] a) an Onyx Ring of Free Action It provides immunity to paralysis. It was dropped by a Bandit at 750'. b) a Shining Ring of Fear Resistance It provides resistance to fear. You bought it in a Bazaar in Tarquet Watch. c) a Serpentine Ring of Invisibility (+1) d) a Set of Gauntlets of Free Action [2,+0] It provides immunity to paralysis. It was dropped by Farmer Maggot in Zathdin View. [Spells] You have learned 13 spells and/or improvements. You have 0 tier-1 slots (levels 2-11) remaining. You have 1 tier-2 slot (levels 2-21) remaining. You have 5 tier-3 slots (levels 2-31) remaining. You have 6 tier-4 slots (levels 2-41) remaining. You have 5 tier-5 slots (levels 2-50) remaining. Chaos Magic: Book 1: Cost Fail% Power% -------------------------------------------------------- Ray of Frost 0 5% 0% Magic Missile 1 4% +40% specialized Trap / Door Destruction 2 5% 0% Flash of Light 3 5% 0% Blink 2 5% 0% Mana Burst 6 5% 0% Immolation 7 5% 0% Fire Bolt 8 5% 0% Book 2: Cost Fail% Power% -------------------------------------------------------- Fist of Force 9 5% 0% Teleport Self 9 8% 0% Chain Lightning 15 8% 0% [Quests] ====Active quests==== Defeat the giant camp south-east of Ankhi. Defeat the troll camp west of Agrush Watch. From a Courier in Zathdin View (Danger level 0): Carry a message to Hesin Disease-Carrier in Odhmel Watch. From a Courier in Galran (Danger level 0): Carry a message to Drocus the Weak in Gurthear. From a Town Hall in Tarquet Watch (Danger level 17): Many venomous insects have been hiding in the area near Tarquet Watch. Discover their abode and kill them all. From a Warriors' Guild in Tarquet Watch (Danger level 26): Clear 2 levels of a certain underground temple south-east of Zathdin View. You have cleared 1 level. (Current) From a Keep in Anmer (Danger level 26): A Griffon and its gang have been spreading evil in the area north-west of Anmer. Find their den and kill them. ====Finished quests==== Carry a message to Mauser the Friendly in The Homely Flagon. (Finished) Carry a message to Mauser the Friendly in The Homely Flagon. (Finished) Carry a message to Gandar the Bloodthirsty in Tarquet Watch. (Finished) Carry a message to Footsore the Ugly in Tarquet Watch. (Finished) Carry a message to Kyn One-eye in Tarquet Watch. (Finished) (Danger level 1): Smeagol has been killing people in the area near Zathdin View. Track him to his den and destroy him. (Finished) (Danger level 1): Grip, Farmer Maggot's dog has been running amok in the area near Heduz Town. Track it to its home and slay it. (Finished) (Danger level 4): A Green icky thing has been lurking in the area near Anmer. Track it to its stronghold and destroy it. (Finished) (Danger level 7): Robin Hood, the Outlaw has been killing people in the area south of Zathdin View. Track him to his lair and destroy him. (Finished) (Danger level 9): We have heard that a number of raiders have been seen in the area near Ramtel View. Discover their lair and slay them all. (Finished) (Danger level 9): Orfax, Son of Boldor and his followers have been spotted in the area north-east of Heduz Town. Find his lair and exterminate him. (Finished) (Danger level 10): Some yeeks have been troubling the area south of Ramtel View. Discover their lair and kill them all. (3 levels) (Finished, Failed) (Danger level 11): We have heard that a number of swarming insects have been running amok in the area near Tarquet Watch. Discover their hideout and slay them all. (Finished, Failed) (Danger level 11): A number of wizards have been seen in the area south-east of Galran. Discover their lair and slay them all. (Finished) (Danger level 12): Brodda, the Easterling and his minions have been spotted in the area near Galran. Find his lair and kill him. (Finished) (Danger level 13): A Hill orc and his legion have been rampaging the area north-west of Heduz Town. Find their home and slay them. (Finished) (Danger level 16): A Baby green dragon has been killing people in the area south-west of Galran. Track it to its home and slay it. (Finished) (Danger level 16): Too many nagas have been lurking in the area north-west of Anmer. Discover their den and slay them all. (Finished) (Danger level 16): Clear 1 level of a certain mine north of Ramtel View. (Finished) (Danger level 17): A Kobold chieftain and its minions have been hiding in the area near Tarquet Watch. Find their hideout and destroy them. (Finished) (Danger level 18): Boldor, King of the Yeeks and his followers have been running amok in the area south-west of Heduz Town. Find his stronghold and terminate him. (Finished) (Danger level 19): A Dark elven priest and his gang have been spotted in the area north-east of Heduz Town. Find their lair and destroy them. (Finished) (Danger level 20): Lots of spirits have been running amok in the area north-west of Tarquet Watch. Discover their den and kill them all. (Finished) (Danger level 27): Clear 2 levels of a certain lair north-east of Agrush Watch. (Finished) [Message Log (last 50 messages)] You hit the Werewolf. <2x> You miss the Werewolf. The Werewolf bites you. The Werewolf misses you. The Werewolf bites you. You hit the Werewolf. You strike the Werewolf. You hit the Werewolf with your tail. The Werewolf dies. You get in a shield bash! You have slain the Cold hound. The Cold hound breathes frost. The Earth hound howls in pain. The Earth hound yelps in pain. One of your Inky Black Potions of Cure Serious Wounds {25% off} (d) was destroyed! The Earth hound looks healthier. The Cold hound looks healthier. The Earth hound looks healthier. In your pack: 3 Inky Black Potions of Cure Serious Wounds {25% off} (d). The Cold hound bites you. You are covered with frost! The Cold hound misses you. <2x> You strike the Cold hound. You hit the Cold hound. You have slain the Cold hound. You miss the Earth hound. You hit the Earth hound. You hit the Earth hound with your tail. The Earth hound dies. The Earth hound breathes shards. You have been given a graze. You are no longer bleeding. You hit the Cold hound. You have slain the Cold hound. You hit the Earth hound. You have slain the Earth hound. You miss the Earth hound. You strike the Earth hound. You hit the Earth hound with your tail. The Earth hound dies. You get in a shield bash! You have slain the Earth hound. The White wolf misses you. <4x> You get in a shield bash! You have slain the White wolf. The Shadow hound misses you. The Shadow hound bites you. You hit the Shadow hound. You have slain the Shadow hound. There is a wall blocking your way. <4x>
Old 04-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #215
Thomkal
Head Coach

All in all Balo was pretty nice to Duinath III. raised all my stats four or five times, Gifted me with free action gauntlets when I was beginning to need to find some, some pretty helpful mutations early on that I was using regularly-sniff monsters and light area until I got the Phial. And of course that wonderful Blue Dragon Scale Mail early on. Gave me a couple bad mutations-the -2 to Speed and the vulnerable to all basic elements, but worked around them pretty nicely for the most part.

Biggest scare came when I went into the baby green dragon quest. I had found a Defender weapon that had resist poison on it, but didnt wield it when I went in. I landed one square away from the "baby" who turned out to be named and thanks to my -2 speed breathed on me, hitting me for more than half of my hit points at the time. I ported to another part of the level and then recalled not wanting to risk it with such a good character. Now that this comp is over, I can go back and try it. I'm curious what everyone thought of the town quests and wilderness, did you like them?

I didn't travel too far past the starter town. Not being familiar with this wilderness, I didn't want to die just looking around. So I can do that now too.

I think artifact drops need to be reworked a bit and unique drops. I barely got anything useful from the uniques, and none of my artifacts came from uniques-found two in the same vault and the Phial just laying on the floor.

My favorite item? You might think it was the Blue Dragon Scale Mail, but that Amulet of Protection from Evil no doubt saved me from a lot of hits as it repelled uniques as well as dragons, undead, etc. That Rod of Havoc that dropped off a dark elven priest in the wilderness was pretty neat too.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #216
Thomkal
Head Coach

So right now it looks like Mali is the leader with a Level 32 character, with JAG just behind at 31. Then me at 26, and Tasan at 25. If only I had been able to keep one of my earlier Duinath's alive.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #217
Thomkal
Head Coach

Heh at your cloak story Tasan, I hate when that happens. A magical Cloak was the last thing I found out of all my armor, which is very odd actually because a good cloak is usually one of the first things you find in most angband variants. Couldn't even find one in a store.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #218
Tasan
College Starter

Thomkal, could you wrap your character dump in [ code ] tags to make it easier to read?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #219
Thomkal
Head Coach

Good job there Tasan, some advice if you continue on with the character-

1-get things to sustain your stats as soon as possible
2-look for things to raise the stats below 20.
3-good on getting the elemental resists and poison and free action. I'd work on finding something to see invisible. You have hold life though so perhaps not as crucial. Resist Fear and Blindness would be good to get soon too.
4-The Halberd is nice, but you can do a lot better-something that gives a plus to your stats and sustains them, some resists, some elemental damage.
5-Work on Enchanting your armor up as your armor class is on the low side.
6-find out what hidden power your gauntlets and chaotic morning star have. The Morning star might be a better weapon for you depending on what the hidden power is.
7-carry a second copy of your spellbooks just in case one gets burned up/stolen.
8-Try to knock your healing stuff down to just one type to free up inventory space. Potions of Healing heal 300 hp's, which you are approaching so stock up on them if you haven't already.
9-your carrying a lot of detect stuff around-try to narrow it down to free up inventory space. A Rod of Trap Location would be nice, a Rod of Detection even nicer but hard to find. Rings that sustain a stat don't do you any good in your inventory so store them at home/sell.
10-No missile weapon? Yeah Chaos Warriors aren't very good with them, but if you are out of mana or blinded, its nice to have a missile weapon as a backup to something not in hand to hand range. That Long Bow of Velocity would be pretty sweet to have in a moment of need.
11-Lot of Hounds there you were fighting at the end. Monster pit? Try taking them out with your area of effect spells and Immolation on. The hounds only get nastier on the way down so either try to take them out en masse or find a place where only one can attack at a time.

Seems like a lot of criticism, but you are doing well really, these will just improve your chances of surviving. Good job!
Old 04-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #220
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Thomkal, could you wrap your character dump in [ code ] tags to make it easier to read?

done, the beginning was still a bit of mess for some reason, so tried editing to make it a little more readible with limited success
Old 04-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #221
Malificent
High School JV

Quote:
So right now it looks like Mali is the leader with a Level 32 character, with JAG just behind at 31. Then me at 26, and Tasan at 25. If only I had been able to keep one of my earlier Duinath's alive.

Woo-hoo! When it's official, I'll post a thread to discuss the next one - I'd like to stay in Z+Angband but I have a couple different race/class combos I'd like to get some opinions on.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #222
path12
Coordinator

Code:
[Z+Angband 0.3.2 Character Dump] Name : Duinith Age 18 STR: 16.4 Sex : Male Height 60 INT: 10.2 Race : Beastman Weight 137 WIS: 10.9 Class : Chaos-Warrior Social Class 78 DEX: 14.6 Magic : Chaos Con: 15.1 18.1 Patron : Balo CHR: 8.1 + Skill 0 Level 13 Max Hit Points 133 % Deadliness 120 Experience 1538 Cur Hit Points 106 + To AC 9 Max Exp 1538 Max SP (Mana) 8 Base AC 22 Exp to Adv. 387 Cur SP (Mana) 8 Gold 987 (Miscellaneous Abilities) Fighting : Good Perception : Very Good Blows/Round : 2+1 Bows/Throw : Poor Sensing : Good Shots/Round : 1.0 Saving Throw: Good Disarming : Fair Avg.Dam./Rnd: 14 Stealth : Bad Magic Device: Very Good Infra-Vision: 30' [Miscellaneous information] Preserve Mode: ON Small Levels: ON Maximum Level Reached: 10 (500') Stat Intrnl Rce Cls Mod Actual Currnt abcdefghijkl@ Str: 12.4 2 2 0 16.4 ............. Int: 11.2 -2 1 0 10.2 ............. Wis: 11.9 -1 0 0 10.9 ............. Dex: 14.6 -1 1 0 14.6 ............. Con: 15.1 2 2 -1 18.1 15.1 ............. Chr: 12.1 -4 -2 2 8.1 ............1 Skill abcdefghijkl@ BonusSP: ............. Stealth: ............. Search : ....4........ Infra : ............3 Tunnel : ............. Speed : ............. Blows : ............. abcdefghijkl@ Acid : ............. Elec : ............. Fire : ............. Cold : .....+....... Poison: ............. Fear : ............. Light : ............. Dark : ............. Shard : ............. Blind : ............. Conf : ............+ Sound : ............+ Nether: ............. Nexus : ............. Chaos : ............. Disnch: ............. abcdefghijkl@ Reflect : ............. Aura Acid: ............. Aura Fire: ............. Aura Elec: ............. Aura Cold: ............. No Magic : ............. Free Actn: ............. SeeInvis.: ............+ Hold Life: ............. Telepathy: ............. SlwDigstn: ...+......... Regen. : ............. Levitate : ............+ PermLite : .....+....... Mutate : ............+ Patron : ............+ Good Luck: ............. WeirdLuck: ............. Pass Wall: ............. GhulTouch: ............. abcdefghijkl@ Pr Animal: ............. Pr Evil : ............. Pr Undead: ............. Pr Demon : ............. Pr Orc : ............. Pr Troll : ............. Pr Giant : ............. Pr Dragon: ............. Cursed : ............. AutoCurse: ............. Teleport : ............. NoTeleprt: ............. Aggravate: ............. DrainStat: ............. Drain Exp: ............. Slow Heal: ............. Can't Eat: ............+ EvilCurse: ............. You have defeated 641 enemies. [Top 10 deepest kills] 1 Hippogriff Level 18 (900') 1 Sand-dweller Level 15 (750') 1 Baby white dragon Level 13 (650') 1 Rat-thing Level 11 (550') 1 Giant slug Level 11 (550') 1 Novice ranger Level 11 (550') 3 Giant brown bat Level 10 (500') 1 Hill orc Level 10 (500') 1 Zombified kobold Level 10 (500') 1 The wounded bear Level 10 (500') [Mutations] You can smell nearby precious metal. You are subject to cowardice. You have a beak (dam. 2d4). Your face is featureless (-1 CHR). You have remarkable infravision (+3). You have wings (+3 CHR, -1 CON). [Character Equipment] a) a Broad Sword (2d5) (+2,+15%) b) a Short Bow (x2) (+0,+10%) c) (nothing) d) an Iron Ring of Slow Digestion It slows your metabolism. You bought it in a Temple in Tarquet Watch. e) a Stained Glass Amulet of Sensing (+4) It increases your perception by +4. You bought it in a Temple in Zathdin View. f) a Brass Lantern of Warmth It provides resistance to cold. It provides permanent light. It cannot be harmed by fire. You found it on the floor at 250'. g) a Metal Scale Mail (-2) [13,+7] h) a Cloak [1,+1] i) a Buckler [3,+1] j) a Hard Leather Cap [2,+0] k) (nothing) l) a Pair of Hard Leather Boots [3,+0] [Character Inventory] a) 2 Chaos Spellbooks [Sign of Chaos] b) 3 Pink Spotted Mushrooms of Plenty c) 3 Silver Speckled Potions of Speed d) a Black Potion of Cure Light Wounds e) a Fizzy Green Potion of Invisibility f) 5 Scrolls titled "rogban eshbul" of Phase Door g) 5 Scrolls titled "ivwun tabpet" of Word of Recall {!r!k!d} h) a Scroll titled "foonin odeep" of Identify i) 7 Scrolls titled "khoevs micmur" of Satisfy Hunger j) 2 Zirconium-Plated Rods of Trap Location k) a Balsa Staff of Sense Monsters (10 charges) l) a Soft Studded Leather [5,+0] m) a Main Gauche (Chaotic) (1d5) (+7,+40%) You have full knowledge of this item. It produces chaotic effects. It provides resistance to cold and chaos. It attracts the attention of chaos gods. It cannot be harmed by acid, electricity or fire. It was granted to you by your Chaos Patron. n) a Rapier of Keenness (1d6) (+1,+30%) o) 20 Orcish Arrows (1d8) (+0,+0%) (10/10) p) a Wooden Statue of a Nazgul q) a Wooden Statue of a Giant leech [Spells] You have learned 5 spells and/or improvements. You have 2 tier-1 slots (levels 2-11) remaining. You have 6 tier-2 slots (levels 2-21) remaining. You have 6 tier-3 slots (levels 2-31) remaining. You have 6 tier-4 slots (levels 2-41) remaining. You have 5 tier-5 slots (levels 2-50) remaining. Chaos Magic: Book 1: Cost Fail% Power% -------------------------------------------------------- Ray of Frost 0 20% 0% Magic Missile 1 20% 0% Trap / Door Destruction 2 20% 0% Blink 2 20% 0% Static Field 4 20% 0% [Quests] ====Active quests==== From a Castle in Zathdin View (Danger level 1): Smeagol has been killing people in the area near Zathdin View. Track him to his den and destroy him. [Message Log (last 50 messages)] You have found something! In your pack: a Scroll titled "temnes garsnik" (j). In your pack: a Scroll titled "temnes garsnik" of Enchant Armor (i). In your pack: a Scroll titled "foonin odeep" of Identify (h). The Buckler glows brightly! There are no more Scrolls titled "temnes garsnik" of Enchant Armor. You dig in the rubble. <12x> You have removed the rubble. You dig in the rubble. <11x> You have removed the rubble. In your pack: a Wooden Statue of a Nazgul (p). The Copperhead snake misses you. You hit the Copperhead snake. You strike the Copperhead snake. You have slain the Copperhead snake. There is a wall blocking your way. <2x> You push past Bullroarer the Hobbit. You tunnel into the magma vein. <29x> You have finished the tunnel. You tunnel into the magma vein. <30x> You have finished the tunnel. You tunnel into the magma vein. <15x> You have finished the tunnel. You tunnel into the magma vein. <33x> You have finished the tunnel. There is a wall blocking your way. <9x> Autosaving the game... The Green naga crushes you. You hit the Green naga. <2x> You miss the Green naga. The Green naga crushes you. You miss the Green naga. You hit the Green naga. You miss the Green naga. The Green naga crushes you. You miss the Green naga. <2x> You hit the Green naga with your beak. The Green naga crushes you. You miss the Green naga. You hit the Green naga. You hit the Green naga with your beak. The Green naga crushes you. You miss the Green naga. You hit the Green naga. You miss the Green naga. The Green naga flees in terror! You hit the Green naga. You have slain the Green naga. In your pack: 3 Pink Spotted Mushrooms of Plenty (b). You can learn 3 more spells.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:28 PM   #223
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Good job there Tasan, some advice if you continue on with the character-

1-get things to sustain your stats as soon as possible
I was working on this. I have a couple of things stored to do this, I was just waiting on getting a better weapon so I could then get rid of the damage bonus rings. That stupid heavy curse on my weapon set me back soooooo far
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal
2-look for things to raise the stats below 20.
Hadn't really found much to do this yet.
Quote:
3-good on getting the elemental resists and poison and free action. I'd work on finding something to see invisible. You have hold life though so perhaps not as crucial. Resist Fear and Blindness would be good to get soon too.
I was carrying around the resist fear ring for use when going up against baddies that cause it. I know it can be a little after the fact sometimes, but it was the best i could come up with at the time. The blindness had just started becoming a problem. CON sapping was a big issue at the time, kept running up on undead masses, so I was carrying around that ring for the time being to take them on.
Quote:
4-The Halberd is nice, but you can do a lot better-something that gives a plus to your stats and sustains them, some resists, some elemental damage.
Well, considering I just got it uncursed, cut me some slack ;- ) I searched after uncursing it in many of the towns and had just finally found something I wanted, just needed the cash for it, which I was almost at. (stupid cloak)
Quote:
5-Work on Enchanting your armor up as your armor class is on the low side.
Gah! I had been, but kept hitting disenchanters up the wazoo! I ususally would get back to town, buy some enchant armor scrolls, and build back up. This snap was taken while still in a dungeon.
Quote:
6-find out what hidden power your gauntlets and chaotic morning star have. The Morning star might be a better weapon for you depending on what the hidden power is.
Just got the gauntlets in the last dungeon and nobody in the whole stinkin huge H town had *identify* scrolls, over 2 nights I stayed. I had forgotten about the morning star I had stashed until I did this dump.
Quote:
7-carry a second copy of your spellbooks just in case one gets burned up/stolen.
Didn't know that, I'll take to doing that now. Thanks!
Quote:
8-Try to knock your healing stuff down to just one type to free up inventory space. Potions of Healing heal 300 hp's, which you are approaching so stock up on them if you haven't already.
I'd been running that way for a while and hit a rough patch and started hanging on to the shrooms. Just never cleared them back out again. Anything else would be pickups I recently made and use as I go through a dungeon
Quote:
9-your carrying a lot of detect stuff around-try to narrow it down to free up inventory space. A Rod of Trap Location would be nice, a Rod of Detection even nicer but hard to find. Rings that sustain a stat don't do you any good in your inventory so store them at home/sell.
See above for carrying around the ring. I had grown attached to the rods and staffs, I know I need to cut back but its hard! ;- )
Quote:
10-No missile weapon? Yeah Chaos Warriors aren't very good with them, but if you are out of mana or blinded, its nice to have a missile weapon as a backup to something not in hand to hand range. That Long Bow of Velocity would be pretty sweet to have in a moment of need.
I carried that bow and a full quiver around for the longest and just never used them, so I decided to ditch them for an extra inv slot to carry rods and staffs. Prolly will bite me in the butt at some point, but up til now I really haven't needed it, esp with my magic missile so strong and only 1 mana.
Quote:
11-Lot of Hounds there you were fighting at the end. Monster pit? Try taking them out with your area of effect spells and Immolation on. The hounds only get nastier on the way down so either try to take them out en masse or find a place where only one can attack at a time.
Yeah, I had just hit that pit and finished it off. I choke pointed them to kill them off without any real problems. Trust me, if it had been an issue, I'd have had Immolation and Mana Blast going, no doubt!
Quote:
Seems like a lot of criticism, but you are doing well really, these will just improve your chances of surviving. Good job!

No problem, thanks for the great info!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #224
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malificent View Post
Woo-hoo! When it's official, I'll post a thread to discuss the next one - I'd like to stay in Z+Angband but I have a couple different race/class combos I'd like to get some opinions on.

It's winner's choice so Z+Angband is fine. You might want to wait a week or so before starting the next one to let people decompress a bit, and catch up on things they put off so they could play this crazy game. Unless of course everybody wants to start the next one right away
Old 04-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #225
Malificent
High School JV

Quote:
It's winner's choice so Z+Angband is fine. You might want to wait a week or so before starting the next one to let people decompress a bit, and catch up on things they put off so they could play this crazy game. Unless of course everybody wants to start the next one right away

No no, for sure, there will be some delay before starting it - a little discussion about what might be nice in terms of race/class and we can start at some point down the line. I need to decompress myself some.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #226
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ooof Path, that is indeed some bad luck. That "epic" battle with a green naga illustrates how much you are struggling with this guy. Why didn't you use any spells on it? A shovel will help you get at that pesky ore a lot easier.

Tough to comment on the dump given your bad luck, but by looking at your mutations of wings and a beak and the zapping of your stats, its obvious Balo was preparing your body for a transformation into a Giant Chicken! Any question/advice I can give you off the dump?

Last edited by Thomkal : 04-20-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #227
Thomkal
Head Coach

And its official-MALI WINS!!!! Congrats Mali and thanks to all who participated-feel free to post those dumps so we can laugh...er I mean help with any problems you might have had.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #228
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I was carrying around the resist fear ring for use when going up against baddies that cause it. I know it can be a little after the fact sometimes, but it was the best i could come up with at the time. The blindness had just started becoming a problem. CON sapping was a big issue at the time, kept running up on undead masses, so I was carrying around that ring for the time being to take them on.

Well, considering I just got it uncursed, cut me some slack ;- ) I searched after uncursing it in many of the towns and had just finally found something I wanted, just needed the cash for it, which I was almost at. (stupid cloak)

Gah! I had been, but kept hitting disenchanters up the wazoo! I ususally would get back to town, buy some enchant armor scrolls, and build back up. This snap was taken while still in a dungeon.

Just got the gauntlets in the last dungeon and nobody in the whole stinkin huge H town had *identify* scrolls, over 2 nights I stayed. I had forgotten about the morning star I had stashed until I did this dump.

Didn't know that, I'll take to doing that now. Thanks!

I'd been running that way for a while and hit a rough patch and started hanging on to the shrooms. Just never cleared them back out again. Anything else would be pickups I recently made and use as I go through a dungeon

See above for carrying around the ring. I had grown attached to the rods and staffs, I know I need to cut back but its hard! ;- )

I carried that bow and a full quiver around for the longest and just never used them, so I decided to ditch them for an extra inv slot to carry rods and staffs. Prolly will bite me in the butt at some point, but up til now I really haven't needed it, esp with my magic missile so strong and only 1 mana.

Yeah, I had just hit that pit and finished it off. I choke pointed them to kill them off without any real problems. Trust me, if it had been an issue, I'd have had Immolation and Mana Blast going, no doubt!

No problem, thanks for the great info!

-yeah those undead masses can be a real pain-attack from a distance when you can, but its tough when they start breeding. Potions of Boldness will also help against fear attacks. You worked well with what you had available to you so guess I shouldn't criticize too much I ended up having to use arrows on them just recently cause they had bred so much and I ran out of mana trying to get rid of them. So missiles do come in handy at times with a chaos warrior, but yeah I sometimes questioned whether I should keep them on my character too.

-okay I'll cut you some slack on the halberd given your struggles to get it uncursed. And its very hard to give up stuff that can help you, but if you don't you end up with something like 4 empty inventory slots when you hit the dungeon, lol!
Old 04-21-2009, 12:12 AM   #229
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Ooof Path, that is indeed some bad luck. That "epic" battle with a green naga illustrates how much you are struggling with this guy. Why didn't you use any spells on it? A shovel will help you get at that pesky ore a lot easier.

Yeah, the shovel thing is just a bad habit -- I don't like filling up that extra inventory spot and when I've got a relatively heavy weapon I just tend to hack away at the walls.

By that time I think I had a limit of 5 magic points and a 20% fail chance on all of them. Seemed more reliable to just hack away.

I picked up those statues because I saw one in the black market, but what do they do?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:05 AM   #230
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats Malificent!

a) a Chaos Spellbook [Armageddon Tome]
It cannot be harmed by the elements. You found it in a vault at 850'.

You lucky sob Thomkal...

Quote:
I think artifact drops need to be reworked a bit and unique drops. I barely got anything useful from the uniques, and none of my artifacts came from uniques-found two in the same vault and the Phial just laying on the floor.

I'm kind of mixed on this. I did think it was frustrating not getting anything useful from killing uniques as that used to be a good part of the joy of killing them. On the other hand, I kind of liked that artifacts were rare but not completely unobtainable. I was also surprised how useful money was in this variant when it usually has little to no purpose after you hit lvl 20. All in all it does a number of things surprisingly well.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:03 AM   #231
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Yeah, the shovel thing is just a bad habit -- I don't like filling up that extra inventory spot and when I've got a relatively heavy weapon I just tend to hack away at the walls.

By that time I think I had a limit of 5 magic points and a 20% fail chance on all of them. Seemed more reliable to just hack away.

I picked up those statues because I saw one in the black market, but what do they do?

well I thought the statues did nothing, but then I found a statue store in another game I'm playing, so maybe they do do something?

And restart Duinath and hope for better luck
Old 04-21-2009, 07:06 AM   #232
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Congrats Malificent!

a) a Chaos Spellbook [Armageddon Tome]
It cannot be harmed by the elements. You found it in a vault at 850'.

You lucky sob Thomkal...

I'm kind of mixed on this. I did think it was frustrating not getting anything useful from killing uniques as that used to be a good part of the joy of killing them. On the other hand, I kind of liked that artifacts were rare but not completely unobtainable. I was also surprised how useful money was in this variant when it usually has little to no purpose after you hit lvl 20. All in all it does a number of things surprisingly well.

well not so lucky cause I never got to use any of the spells in it for the comp LOL. But yeah it was pretty sweet getting that and the two artifacts in that one vault.

I agree with you on liking that artifacts are rare, I would just like it so that they are slightly less rare and unique drops are better overall. I don't mind the occasional normal item or nothing at all, but it gets old after a while. And yeah money is very well handled in this game-having all those big towns with the multitude of stores certainly helps spend that hard-earned gold.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:14 AM   #233
Malificent
High School JV

Ok, so my thoughts for the potential characters for the next comp. I tried to pick some options that would give us some different play experiences from the Chaos Warrior.

A. Half-Giant Warrior
This one is interesting in that they are an easy starter - they get lots of hit dice, lots of strength/con and only have a 50% XP penalty - levels will be quickly gained. But no spellbooks and they'll struggle with magic items, which will make for a tougher mid-end game.

B. Hobbit Rogue (Arcane)
This one is a chance to use a sling/ranged weapon regularly and focus some on stealth and backstabbing. You get the Arcane school of magic, so you get a lot of useful spells, but no super powerful ones. With the rogue, it really requires some forethought - checking out a room before you enter it, getting experience from traps, making sure to take out creatures with your ranged weapons rather than rushing in.

C. Klackon Monk (Nature)
Two things make this an interesting choice. First, no weapons - it's all hand to hand, with your power increasing as you increase in level. Also, your armor is limited - you can't wear very much or you lose a lot of your attack capability. Your natural armor increases very rapidly though. Also, klackons increase their natural speed every 10 levels, as do monks, so you eventually will become very naturally fast. Nature spells have a nice mix, although the offensive stuff doesn't kick in until later in the game.

D. Dark Elf Mage (Sorcery/Conjuration)
Playing a pure mage is sort of the opposite of the warrior. You've got low hit points and next to zero melee or ranged ability. And the first level where you don't have an offensive spell makes for an interesting challenge. But if you can make it to the mid levels where your spells start to really flourish, a mage can be a total powerhouse. I picked Sorcery/Conjuration because the combo is a nice mix of defensive and offensive spells (that included magic missile) that was something different from the chaos spells we were just using.

So, weigh in with what you think would be interesting/fun to play. I'm really open to all 4 possibilities, which is why I want some opinions.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:51 AM   #234
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

I'm fine with whatever you decide.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #235
Thomkal
Head Coach

I'll play whatever Mali, but my comments about each:

Half-Giant Warrior-My least favorite. I just don't find Warriors very interesting, especially after just playing a warrior type who had other options.

Hobbit Rogue-As mentioned in the thread, I'm playing one of these now, and they are like the opposite of Chaos Warriors. Chaos Warriors barely used a missile weapon unless they lucked into a good one, Rogues thrive on them, especially a sling for our hobbit here. Warriors fight hand to hand, Rogues should try to avoid it at least till they get a good weapon and their fighting skills improve. Chaos Warriors had some powerful spells to fall back on-Rogues focus more on detection, escape, and resists. Hardly any attack spells in arcane. They are a lot more fun than I expected, who knew you'd be looking forward to finding a magical sling/sling ammo? My guy has sorcery as his spell realm though, not sure how much play the arcane spells would get with this comp.

Klackon Monk-Monk is another character class I tend to avoid. Not being able to use a lot of the weapons and armor makes it less fun for me. But I'd be willing to try this one. I just tested one before posting this-I was killed by a novice ranger outside of town before I went in the dungeon. They only start out as Fair in fighting skills which makes me worry about the early survivability chances which likely means lots of restarts for the comp.

Dark Elf Mage-Likely lots of restarts on this guy too. Just did a character that used spells a lot, so would like to try a character that doesn't rely on them as much.

Again I'll play any, but would rank the rogue and monk higher on my interest level than the other two.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #236
Sporkimata
High School JV

Yeah I'm all for whatever you decide too. I find the mage interesting. I have tried a couple experimental mages and have to say I cant get them beyond level 1 yet. So it would be a definite fun challenge.
Sporkimata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #237
dwardzala
H.S. Freshman Team

I haven't played this (or any of its predecessors) prior to seeing this thread, so I am up for anything. Given that my Chaos-Warrior could never get past 11th level (found too many places I shouldn't go), I am certain I won't provide much in the way of competition - but then again, I am still figuring out most of the nuances of the game.
dwardzala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #238
Malificent
High School JV

Yes, mages would require multiple restarts almost certainly before you get one going - definitely more of a challenge.

I'm running a Klackon monk currently that is up to lev 20 - I think they are survivable - they get 12 hit dice, which means lots of HP and they get nice AC very quickly (mine is currently at AC 90).

But I think I'm leaning towards rogue or mage. Probably rogue, maybe with Sorcery instead of Arcane - I've never really used the Sorcery spellset much - how's it work out in practice?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #239
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yes, mages would require multiple restarts almost certainly before you get one going - definitely more of a challenge.

I'm running a Klackon monk currently that is up to lev 20 - I think they are survivable - they get 12 hit dice, which means lots of HP and they get nice AC very quickly (mine is currently at AC 90).

But I think I'm leaning towards rogue or mage. Probably rogue, maybe with Sorcery instead of Arcane - I've never really used the Sorcery spellset much - how's it work out in practice?

My first serious successful character in Ztk was a rogue with Sorcery. I can't remember too much in the way of details except that I loved dimension door. As I remember, Sorcery doesn't give you any spells that damage, but the utility spells (detect, teleport, identify, haste, etc...) are awesome.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #240
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

The Arcane spells aren't bad and a lot will help the rogue, but all of their spellbooks are available to purchase-nothing like finding one of the two special books like I did with Armageddon Tome with my Chaos-Warrior. Sorcery just seems more like a natural fit though with a rogue-lots of detects and then identifies, ways to escape, and ways to deal with monsters (confuse, sleep, slow) to give you an advantage if you do have to fight hand to hand. There may be another option however-illusion magic. The Z+ developer created it for the game, so you'd have to think it fits pretty well with the game as a whole. Never tried it though, and looking at the spell lists I'm not sure its a good fit for a rogue as the sorcery realm.

Hey you could have a comp where the player gets to create their own hobbit rogue deciding which spell realm to use.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #241
Eilim
High School Varsity

Quote:

Hey you could have a comp where the player gets to create their own hobbit rogue deciding which spell realm to use.

That could be very interesting. *scampers off to try a bunch of hobbit rogues*
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #242
Malificent
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilim View Post
That could be very interesting. *scampers off to try a bunch of hobbit rogues*

I like having the idea of having everyone starting from the same beginning point - that way we know we all had the same advantages/disadvantages with starting stats, gold, wilderness, quests, etc. With my Klackon monk, I'm learning about a bad town/wilderness layout the hard way. I got put in a fairly normal starting town...but the wilderness outside was heavy duty. For example, I wandered about 10 spaces out, and there was an ogre in the wilderness right there. The nearest other towns were a long distance away and none of their store selections was good. It really slowed me down at the beginning.

But, what I could do is create five default variants - one for each of the schools of magic available to the rogue and people could pick whichever one they wanted to run.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #243
Thomkal
Head Coach

hey that sounds like a plan Mali...and I see you in the thread cuervo-care to play in the next one?
Old 04-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #244
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
But, what I could do is create five default variants - one for each of the schools of magic available to the rogue and people could pick whichever one they wanted to run.

That's a cool idea, although if I were you I would limit it to 2-3 options. The downside could be, as you pointed out with some of your testing above, that the starting positions could be drastically different and thus the difficulty might not be the same between characters.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #245
Malificent
High School JV

Yeah, probably right, so maybe stick with Sorcery and Conjuration - Conjuration is nice in that it has some limited healing and offensive capabilities that Sorcery doesn't have.

So, the Burglar (Sorcery) or the Gambler (Conjuration). I think I'll go with Sorcery - see if I can live with out the offensive spellcasting - get all my burst magic from rods and such.

So, start next Monday?
Old 04-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #246
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, probably right, so maybe stick with Sorcery and Conjuration - Conjuration is nice in that it has some limited healing and offensive capabilities that Sorcery doesn't have.

So, the Burglar (Sorcery) or the Gambler (Conjuration). I think I'll go with Sorcery - see if I can live with out the offensive spellcasting - get all my burst magic from rods and such.

So, start next Monday?

works for me
Old 04-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #247
path12
Coordinator

I'm in.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:43 PM   #248
Tasan
College Starter

in

I'd prefer we all start the same though, like what has been said, there are just waaaaay too many things that can be different between two starts.

Last edited by Tasan : 04-21-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #249
Sporkimata
High School JV

Yeah I am totally in. I agree though that we should have just one start. Seems more natural for a competition like this.
Sporkimata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #250
Tasan
College Starter

Oh my input on character classes are the Monk or Rogue. Those both seem pretty interesting. I always loved building up a monk in Bard's Tale. They would get absolutely nasty at high levels.