Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-15-2007, 11:47 AM   #201
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
Franchise impressions?

I fiddled just with what I started and there seemed to be a nice amount there. Nothing overwhelming, just basic free agents, waivers, trades, drafting, etc. I was able to trade for Crosby giving up Igilna and someone else (a good center) so I'm not sure how great that is.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:14 PM   #202
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
In the game, when I play the Rangers, I know I have to be on my game, if it's the Blue Jackets, I can make more mistakes.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I started my dynasty as the Jackets on Superstar, lost 4-1 to Anaheim,, lost 5-2 to Dallas, but then got my first two wins against....you guessed it, the Blues!!

I'm starting a dynasty at some point in the next day or two, as I usually play 1 game, sim 3, so that way I play about 20 games each season.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #203
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Mizzou,

Cmon man, my hockey knowledge isn't exceptional, but I should be able to know why I'm getting my ass kicked or kicking ass.

So you're saying it's a lot like FOF2k7.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:21 PM   #204
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. I started my dynasty as the Jackets on Superstar, lost 4-1 to Anaheim,, lost 5-2 to Dallas, but then got my first two wins against....you guessed it, the Blues!!

I'm starting a dynasty at some point in the next day or two, as I usually play 1 game, sim 3, so that way I play about 20 games each season.

Wow, on SS with the Jackets? Good luck!

I'm going to start my franchise soon - I need more playing time.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #205
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

So does anyone have any tips on winning faceoffs? I'm winning at best 1 in 5.

Last edited by nilodor : 09-15-2007 at 01:23 PM.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #206
rowech
Pro Starter

I wonder if anyone has tips on scoring goals....even so much as just getting more shots off.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #207
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
So does anyone have any tips on winning faceoffs? I'm winning at best 1 in 5.

In the demo, i was not able to win a faceoff at first, I was pushing up the right stick while pulling down the left stick pointing to the player who i want to send the puck.

Then i tried pulling the right stick down at the correct time (and also the left stick in the direction of the player i want to pass to) and now i can win almost as much as the CPU team, not sure if it really helps or if i just time it better that way.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:11 PM   #208
TroyF
Coordinator

I think I'll just exit the thread. I'm not one of the guy shaving a ton of fun with the game. I've played over 20 games now. While it's a pretty game and it has a lot of nice things going for it, I'm missing 2K more and more with each passing moment. Admittedly, I've always been a 2K fan, so maybe it's just bias or preference. Not going to say otherwise.

My problems with '08? I'm missing the little things. Why can't I have my F play a double shift and switch out the defenseman? Why have I played 20 games and the net hasn't come off the hinges one time and not a single stick has been broken or even fell from the hands of a player? Why. . . nevermind.

Nobody judge their views of the game by me. I'm not a hockey nut by any stretch and that could be playing into my opinions. I freely admit it. Hope everyone else enjoys the game.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #209
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think I'll just exit the thread. I'm not one of the guy shaving a ton of fun with the game. I've played over 20 games now. While it's a pretty game and it has a lot of nice things going for it, I'm missing 2K more and more with each passing moment. Admittedly, I've always been a 2K fan, so maybe it's just bias or preference. Not going to say otherwise.

My problems with '08? I'm missing the little things. Why can't I have my F play a double shift and switch out the defenseman? Why have I played 20 games and the net hasn't come off the hinges one time and not a single stick has been broken or even fell from the hands of a player? Why. . . nevermind.

Nobody judge their views of the game by me. I'm not a hockey nut by any stretch and that could be playing into my opinions. I freely admit it. Hope everyone else enjoys the game.

If you like 2k sports better, that to me can be the only reason not to like this game. I've never been a hockey fan but I love this game. To me anyway, there is not one major flaw to it at all. Everything is very minor, opinion/preference kind of stuff.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #210
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

To each their own Troy. I'm sure NHL 2k8 plays a great game of hockey. I'm not sure I'll like the controls, but we'll see once a demo comes out.

Heck, Bill Abner is liking 2k8.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:38 PM   #211
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Since I spend the majority of my time in the franchise mode, I went with 2K8... I have not played NHL 08, so I have no idea what that game is like. Personally I like it. The controls are very nice.

Here's the thing, I never understood what was so great with 07's shot stick, or whatever it's called. The flicking of the stick seemed awkward to me, while the stick control in 2k8 seems intuitive... you pick it up use the stick for deking back and forth, and just use your bumpers for shoot and pass. The one thing I don't like about the 2K8 is the combo special moves... it feels too arcady to me. YMMV. My hands feel incredibly comfortable in the new position on the controler... so beyond the combo moves, I don't see why everyone is griping on new controls.

From what I've seen, the franchise mode is as advertised, super deep. The new negotiating with agents is a fun little mini-game to play. Each time you go to negotiate a contract you'll find a line like this:

|----------/----------|
Green / Red

Half the line is green, which represents the amount the owner is comfrotable spending on the player. The Red side represents what the player wants, or is comfortable getting. You negotiate back and forth, being carefull not to lowball too much or the player will walk out, and you'll have to wait till another day to get back to the table. And you can walk out too, if you're pissed the the player wants too much. Sometimes if you go to walk, he'll cave to your last offer. Again, it's a cool little feature.

The problem I have with it is that so far (I'll get to why I'm saying, so far, later) it's rather easy to get the player to come to the green side of that line. Even when the Agents says prior to talks commencing, that the player doesn't like negotiating and knows what he's worth. So it's pretty easy to please your owner by saving money. And players, IMO, come back to the table too quickly. They walk out on a monday, and the very next day they're "ready to talk" again. Sometimes they'll wait two days, but I haven't seen anything longer than that.

Commentating is great... Cole & Neal make it feel like you're watching a game on the CBC. Sometimes they can be awkward in real life, so when it pops up in the game, like it does in every sports game, it somehow feels right... and I find myself laughing at it, but in a good way.

Now onto my problem. The game has a bug, I'm on my second copy now... and it's still in there, and I've tried it in multiple 360's. When I enter franchise mode, and go to fast sim a season... I get to the end of November and the game freezes. Stops working completly. I'm not sure what EB is going to say when I go there tomorrow and say I want my money back... I'm not exchanging a broken game for another broken game. We'll see.

I figure I'll rent 08, see how that plays... and either get that or just throw the money towards my Halo 3 preorder. It sucks becuase I do really enjoy the game, and would absolutly love to get into the offseason of the franchise mode...

BTW, has anyone seen this bug reported elsewhere?
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #212
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yes, I've seen that bug being reported over at OS and 2k sports forums.

Might want to hold onto your copy as I would think 2k sports will probably patch it sometime soon.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:58 AM   #213
Icy
Pro Starter

As Mizzou said, the November freeze bug has been reported at every forum, including EA ones. I think i have read, that if you turn off computer trading or something like that just before the freeze, then it doesn't happen, and you can put it back again once the date is past. I'll search for it again as i don't remember the exact details.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:08 AM   #214
Icy
Pro Starter

Dola, the freeze is on Nov and here is the quote from ops forums:

Quote:
If it does freeze on you, just take CPU trading OFF and it wont happen. After passing that hump, put it back on.

Last edited by Icy : 09-16-2007 at 06:19 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:19 AM   #215
Icy
Pro Starter

Double dola, here you can find more details about the fix, quoted from 2khockey.net forums. Some posts after this one confirm that it does work perfectly.

Quote:
I have found out how to fix the franchise freezing issue in November, or whatever month it is for you. I have only tested it using November 24th, because that is the day it freezes for me on my franchise.

BEFORE you play or sim that day, go to options and set CPU trading to OFF.

I have tested this countless times on my franchise that freeses on November 24th. If I try to sim or play the game it will freeze, but if i go to options and set CPU TRADING OFF, I can then play or sim this day/game freeze free!!!

Hopefully this will work for everyone, it has fixed my 2k8 franchise and now I can play once again.

Unfortunately it seems that if you try and turn CPU trading back on, that you will eventually freeze, so keep it off until the trade deadline. After the trade deadline you can turn it back on and it will work next season.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:02 AM   #216
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

After playing many.. many.. games yesterday, all is not rose colored glasses with NHL 08.

There are times on AS when I feel helpless against the CPU offense. They cycle the puck with precision and my CPU controlled guys just sit there while my goalie takes shot after shot. I figured something would finally click and I would figure out what I needed to do to lessen the barage of shots by the CPU teams. So far, I haven't a clue. AHL teams are beating the shit out of me right now on AS.

I'm testing some sliders, but I'm not sure they have much effect.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #217
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
After playing many.. many.. games yesterday, all is not rose colored glasses with NHL 08.

There are times on AS when I feel helpless against the CPU offense. They cycle the puck with precision and my CPU controlled guys just sit there while my goalie takes shot after shot. I figured something would finally click and I would figure out what I needed to do to lessen the barage of shots by the CPU teams. So far, I haven't a clue. AHL teams are beating the shit out of me right now on AS.

What defensive strategy does your team use?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:02 AM   #218
rowech
Pro Starter

After learning I suck, I finally knocked it down to pro level. I'm finally competitive but still losing. Typically 4-3, 3-2 type games.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:36 AM   #219
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
What defensive strategy does your team use?

I think "protect the net", but I'm not positive if that's all the time.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:39 AM   #220
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Play a second game against the same team and you'll find that it's you who dominates while they sit and look like idiots. It's what I was trying to say yesterday. I have NO idea what I'm doing wrong in the games I get pounded and NO idea what I'm doing right in the games I destroy the opposition.

If you find out what the hell is going on, I'm all ears.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #221
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

D'loaded the demo and it is a lot of fun. Never owned a console hockey game but played about 6 games and won about half of them one on a shootout. I've got to say I really like the controls for the game. The stick makes the game "feel" good to me on the offensive end. Still trying to figure out the defensive controls, so can't really comment on those.

Trouble is with nba 2k8 coming out shortly I don't know where I'd get the time to play NHL with both games having 80+ game schedules. However if Madden doesn't come out with a patch that fixes AI turnovers, especially ints (IIRC I'm +20something on turnovers after 7 games in my current Rams franchise game), I may trade it in for nhl08.

Just curious, how many minute periods do you guys play to get realistic stats?
And how long does it take for you to play out a game?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:53 AM   #222
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Play a second game against the same team and you'll find that it's you who dominates while they sit and look like idiots. It's what I was trying to say yesterday. I have NO idea what I'm doing wrong in the games I get pounded and NO idea what I'm doing right in the games I destroy the opposition.

If you find out what the hell is going on, I'm all ears.

I played a home and home set vs the Ducks and I think there is variance, much as in real life, on how a team plays day to day. It's imparitive to pay attention to the post period scouting reports because otherwise you're going to be in a lot of trouble. If it says keep guys to the outside then make sure you take away the middle of the ice on the breakouts. If it says play a more aggressive forecheck, get on them hard, do some dump and chase. This stuff all works. It definetly helps if you have a hockey background because this isn't a game you can just try and be free and creative.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:57 AM   #223
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I played a home and home set vs the Ducks and I think there is variance, much as in real life, on how a team plays day to day. It's imparitive to pay attention to the post period scouting reports because otherwise you're going to be in a lot of trouble. If it says keep guys to the outside then make sure you take away the middle of the ice on the breakouts. If it says play a more aggressive forecheck, get on them hard, do some dump and chase. This stuff all works. It definetly helps if you have a hockey background because this isn't a game you can just try and be free and creative.

You're on to something for sure. I've never really messed with defensive or offensive strategies before. Last game I finally WON! I did it by using mostly "high pressure" on defense and when I needed a goal - an all out attack.

There is promise.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:50 PM   #224
TroyF
Coordinator

If I were talking about back to backs in franchise mode, it'd be one thing. I'm talking about back to back games with the same home team and no fatigue. I'm talking about how with the same strategies, my team looks like a bunch of fourth graders one game and the all universe team the next. This is through full games, not one period here or one period there. I'm having some 4-3, 3-2, 2-1 games. I'm having a hell of a lot more 6-2, 5-1, 8-0 games. This is on either all-pro or pro, against good teams and bad.

If I was altering my strategy every series, tweaking my lineups, changing things up every couple of minutes and I was getting that varied of results, I'm good. When I don't alter anything and get this wide of a scope between games, I'm concerned about the engine.

Let me know if it works Mizzou. I'm holding onto it for a little while longer, but I'm losing hope fast.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #225
rowech
Pro Starter

I've always felt most sports games have built in variance in player ratings from game to game.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:55 PM   #226
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Just had a sickening game vs the Sharks. Frolov was on fire, had 2 goals and 2 assists, but we were down 6-5. We manage to tie it up on a Kopitar goal with a pulled goalie and went into a shootout. First six shooters all scored then the goalies played well. My 9th shooter, Kyle Calder came in with the chance to win it and buried a quick snap shot off the inside of the post, over Nabakov's blocker shoulder to win it.

Just phenominal.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:04 PM   #227
WSR
Mascot

Anyone try playing online or try the online leagues?

I've played a couple 2 on 2 games, and they were a blast. We locked the players we controlled, and it really proved to be challenging to resist the urge to chase the puck all over the ice.
WSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:37 AM   #228
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

VERY EARLY rental impressions (2k8).

Forget anything you've learned from NHL 08 as far as control goes. It's very early, but couldn't they just have copied NHL 08's scheme. I don't like thus far, but I need more time to adjust to it. (which sucks because it's a rental and there is no manual for it - just the in game help, I need a quick reference quide)

It's a totally different experience than NHL 08 and I honestly think that's a good thing as I like how it plays a nice game of hockey, but it feels really different. The camera is different, but I like how it gives different views of the action, I like how the presentation is typical 2k sports, the commentary so far hasn't been bad, etc...

I'm really going to play it some more tonight, but there's a lot to like here... I'm just not sure there's enought to make me play it over NHL 08.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 09-17-2007 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:05 AM   #229
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
VERY EARLY rental impressions (2k8).

Forget anything you've learned from NHL 08 as far as control goes. It's very early, but couldn't they just have copied NHL 08's scheme. I don't like thus far, but I need more time to adjust to it. (which sucks because it's a rental and there is no manual for it - just the in game help, I need a quick reference quide)

It's a totally different experience than NHL 08 and I honestly think that's a good thing as I like how it plays a nice game of hockey, but it feels really different. The camera is different, but I like how it gives different views of the action, I like how the presentation is typical 2k sports, the commentary so far hasn't been bad, etc...

I'm really going to play it some more tonight, but there's a lot to like here... I'm just not sure there's enought to make me play it over NHL 08.

If you have time, please take a look and review the franchise mode as that is what interests me the most (of course also if the gameplay is good enough).

Last edited by Icy : 09-17-2007 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:41 AM   #230
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
If you have time, please take a look and review the franchise mode as that is what interests me the most (of course also if the gameplay is good enough).

Will do Icy.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #231
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

So I broke down and bought a 360 this weekend, along with NHL 08. I've played about 11 games of a dynasty using Phoenix on All Star, and I've won twice, lost 5, and lost in overtime/shootout another 4. Definitely a tough game, but its hard to tell how much of that is the general crapiness of the Coyotes.

I've really learned that you need to play very good defense. There are times the CPU starts cycling in my zone and gets me running around, and of course I pay for it. If I'm calm and stay in the lanes, things usually, but not always, work out ok. Which seems pretty realistic to me.

I've played several online games against friends as well, and those are an absolute blast. Me and 4 of my friends are setting up an online league and that should be a tonne of fun.

Overall this is by far the best sports game ever made. It has definitely taken me back to the days of NHL '94 in terms of fun.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #232
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I am such a sick man. I am seriously considering going out and buying another 360 just because I'm too impatient to wait for Microsoft to repair/replace the one that died. I'm sure that I won't actually go and do it, as I won't have any use for two 360s when I get the one back from Microsoft, but damn. I miss playing NHL 08 already.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #233
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I am such a sick man. I am seriously considering going out and buying another 360 just because I'm too impatient to wait for Microsoft to repair/replace the one that died. I'm sure that I won't actually go and do it, as I won't have any use for two 360s when I get the one back from Microsoft, but damn. I miss playing NHL 08 already.

Use the 90 Walmart return policy.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:42 PM   #234
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Once I started using the D and O tactics, the game started to become fun again. (NHL 08)

I also love how much bigger the rinks are in NHL 08 vs NHL 2k8.

However, once I learn the 2k8 controls, I think it has fun factor potential.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:46 PM   #235
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If my 360 breaks down, especially if it happens after the newer more reliable units are out (rumors say they are starting to filter into retail channels this month), I would likely buy a new 360 to fill in the gap while I waited for mine to return. I'd then sell the old one once it was repaired.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:55 PM   #236
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Use the 90 Walmart return policy.
Walmart AI let do that???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
If my 360 breaks down, especially if it happens after the newer more reliable units are out (rumors say they are starting to filter into retail channels this month), I would likely buy a new 360 to fill in the gap while I waited for mine to return. I'd then sell the old one once it was repaired.
This isn't a terrible idea. I'm just not sure that I'd want to go through the process of trying to sell the old one. On top of that, I just wouldn't know for sure right now if I'd be getting a more reliable one or the old not-so-reliable one. Obviously, I don't want to take that chance after the issue I'm going through now.

Anyway, I'll try to cut down on my whining. I'm certainly not the first person that this has happened to.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:57 PM   #237
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Walmart AI let do that???

This isn't a terrible idea. I'm just not sure that I'd want to go through the process of trying to sell the old one. On top of that, I just wouldn't know for sure right now if I'd be getting a more reliable one or the old not-so-reliable one. Obviously, I don't want to take that chance after the issue I'm going through now.

Anyway, I'll try to cut down on my whining. I'm certainly not the first person that this has happened to.

Hey, I got a solution. I'll take the extra one off your hands. I don't have mone though, so I'll offer a smile instead. Deal? kthxbye.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:46 PM   #238
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

So after playing a few more games over the weekend, I'm officially done with NHL08... on all-star level, at least.

I'm with MizzouRah on this one. The offensive "AI" everyone is raving about gets a little too conveniently good at certain times. The whole experience reminds me a lot of some recent versions of Madden. When it first comes out, everyone would rave about the defensive AI -- "oh, you need to be on your toes, if you make a sloppy play they'll burn you, etc". And then after a week or two you realized that there were actually too many INTs, the DBs could pick the ball off without seeing it, and the ball would curve in mid-air to get to them.

In other words, the end result (tougher defensive players) was the right one, but it wasn't achieved through any sort of realistic "AI" at all -- it was just programmed to get unreasonably hard whenever it needed to.

NHL08 is the same way. I'm sorry, but if I have to read about how realistic this new AI is one more time I'm going to scream. Having the cpu's best player stand in the slot by themselves, while a defensive player stands a few feet away and makes no effort to touch them and/or deflect a pass that goes right by them, is not realistic. It's just dumb. Again, the end result may be fine (tougher opponents) but don't call it AI.

Add on the at times ridiculously tough defensive AI and I'm done with it. I think I could handle one or the other, but not both. It's not a lot of fun to only get six or seven shots a period (not counting the third period, when I get two because the AI "adjusts" and starts picking off every pass and blocking evey shot), but at least I feel like I'd get better at that over time. But I'm not going to spend hours learning how to score one or two goals a game when my gut feeling is that would just trigger the offensive "AI" to go into superman mode again to even the score.

So basically, I've switched to "Pro", I've played four close games, I'm able to crack the magical 20-shot barrier, and I'm having fun again. I'll stick with this, I think, and let others put their nose to the grindstone on the higher levels. This game is still great fun to play against other people, including online. I'm just done with the "ultra-realistic AI" that isn't.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 09-17-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #239
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

One adjustment I made on All-Star is to turn down the AI Learning by two notches from the left. It makes the third period more bearable, as I was getting smothered by them all the time as well.

I'm not sure I agree that the game has a pre-programmed superman mode. When your computer teammates are standing around, what is the score? What is the current strategy?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #240
rowech
Pro Starter

I'm getting into dynasty mode now and am wondering if people have found a way to change the goalie at all. Also, do you think there is goalie fatigue throughout a season?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:58 PM   #241
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I'm getting into dynasty mode now and am wondering if people have found a way to change the goalie at all.
It's on the last "edit lines" screen.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:24 PM   #242
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

During a game, you can only change the goalie during a stoppage in play.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #243
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Since we're asking questions...

I'm new to online play. Is there any way to set your lines/roster before an online game? Can I set Toronto up the way I want it prior to looking for a game? I ask because the Leafs default roster for some reason excludes Jason Blake -- he's on the team, but he's scratched. They also have Peca and O'Neil for some reason.

I've tried setting the lines, but then when I try to play online I end up being forced to download new default rosters that have the same problem. Am I just stuck with the bad rosters until EA figures out they screwed up the most popular team?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:26 PM   #244
Mateo
Mascot

I love it.

I'm just waiting for the final rosters to be released.
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:37 AM   #245
Nugget699
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm really getting stuck with my games now. I'm getting enought shots but my scouting report always seems to say "Change/Use differant strategies". Can anyone give me some other ideas to try when attacking, these are the ones i'm mainly using atm:

1. Passing the puck around, mainly on the blue line and then shooting with a D man and trying for the follow-up

2. Getting a 2-on-1 rush, passing across and one-timing it

3. Going behind the goal and waiting for an open man from the forward line to have a one-timer.

I just can't for the life of me think of anything else to try, the amount of my shots that are one-timers is getting ebyond ridiculous now. I'm struggling to kill off games on Rookie mode.
Nugget699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:05 AM   #246
WSR
Mascot

I played a tight game last night and saw something weird. It was 4-4 with 30 seconds left in the 3rd Period. Anaheim had the puck, entered my Kings zone, passed a couple times, then shot the puck. A player (didn't bother looking at who it was) deflected the puck with what appeared to be a high stick. The puck proceeded to go about two feet above the crossbar, only to change directions in midair and go into the net. I was shocked/pissed. So, with 3.1 seconds left in the game, the AI decided I needed to lose and forced the puck into the net.

Anyone else see strange animations like this?
WSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:38 AM   #247
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

There is a patch in the works, one fix mentions the OT point issue. Good news!

Nugget699,

Use the X - defense and B - offense and change strategies during play if you are having a tough time scoring or they are scoring on you. This definitely works for me.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:47 AM   #248
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget699 View Post
I'm really getting stuck with my games now. I'm getting enought shots but my scouting report always seems to say "Change/Use differant strategies". Can anyone give me some other ideas to try when attacking, these are the ones i'm mainly using atm:

1. Passing the puck around, mainly on the blue line and then shooting with a D man and trying for the follow-up

2. Getting a 2-on-1 rush, passing across and one-timing it

3. Going behind the goal and waiting for an open man from the forward line to have a one-timer.

I just can't for the life of me think of anything else to try, the amount of my shots that are one-timers is getting ebyond ridiculous now. I'm struggling to kill off games on Rookie mode.

I would say to try to know what line you are playing with. If you have the 4th line in, then try to score some sloppy goals (i.e. rebounds). But if you have the 1st line in, then use some passing and skating to get the defense out of position, then get into the slot area and shoot and it doesn't have to be a one timer either.

I usually try to go behind the net, pass to the point, then get it to one of the wingers and pull a D-man from out of the net. Then work it back around and usually you'll have generated some room underneath.

I have found that the best strategy is getting it to your go-to guy. In my case, its Rick Nash. I'll do what I can to get the puck to him with some space and let him come crashing to the net.

Also, one thing I have done is set the shot aim to "auto". I think it helps score more when I am close, just like it should be in real life. I would say to try those and see if that helps.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:03 AM   #249
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

I'm about 48 games or so into my dynasty (about 12 real played games) and here's how I feel:

- You MUST turn the defense strategy to "high pressure" if you want to have any chance of stopping the offense, especially on Superstar. I feel that it puts a stop to the tic-tac-toe passing that the CPU does very well. However, your D-men are likely to come out from the net in this case, so make sure that you help out down there, just like in real life.

- I had to turn the shot aim to 'auto', to help with my shots. I kept shooting in the same two places in the top of the net and the same place at the bottom, especially when I am 'going down' on the screen. When I did this, I noticed that I got more garbage goals in front, just like real life and I scored more in front of the net.

- Know who is out on the ice for both sides. Get their top line off of the ice ASAP, and get your 4th line off of the ice ASAP. I usually do this by getting shots and forcing faceoffs for line changes. If I don't, then I know I will get scored on.

- Don't play the D-man on defense, play with a forward. This way, you can block the shots from the point or at least force their d-man from walking in. Also, you can help in the slot area, in which the CPU loves to score from.

- On offense, generate space!!! Do this by passing it around and pulling the defensemen out of the net area. I can't tell you how much that this helped me to score, when I finally got some space within 10 feet.

I am actually winning games now on Superstar, but not that often. I played the Preds yesterday, went up 3-1 and then got scored on twice in the 3rd. In OT, I scored a nice goal by beating the d-man and putting it through the 5-hole to win 4-3. Its still not all easy though, because I got beat 4-1 the game before against LA when they just played much tighter defense against me, and I could never get any space.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #250
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Is anyone seeing any goals scored on rebounds? Most shots seems to be gobbled up by the goalies, and the rare rebounds that the offense collects end up being shoveled right back into the goalie (usually before you even realize you have the puck). I think I've seen one rebound goal, and not one scramble of any significance. This would seem to make shots from the point, and crashing the net, a lot less effective...

I did play a guy online who's strategy seemed to be taking low shots from the boards off the rush and trying to get a rebound with an open net (good to see the strategies from Sporttime's Superstar Ice Hockey can still be used today) but I'm talking about rebounds in the normal flow of a game.