Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #201
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Not saying that it is right but I think fans see this along the same lines as they see baseball players and steroids or soccer players and diving. The players have sort of lost the benefit of the doubt when it comes to faking injuries. If teams (because I don't think the players are doing it without the coaches' approval) stop faking injuries, they will be less booing.
Shurg... I really don't see it as an epidemic. Have some teams done it to Chip Kelly, and is it becoming more pervasive at the college level? Probably. But it really hasn't been a big deal at the NFL level - and the Patriots have run more no-huddle than anyone else the past couple years, so I feel like I would've noticed. Secondly, you need to consider the players and the game situation a little bit - if the Patriots are reeling defensively and Marquice Cole and Michael Buchanon are going down with cramps on consecutive plays, maybe, but we aren't trying to take Vince Wilfork out of the game when the other team is inside the 10 yard line.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #202
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Funny stuff. Thanks for posting.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #203
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Shurg... I really don't see it as an epidemic. Have some teams done it to Chip Kelly, and is it becoming more pervasive at the college level? Probably. But it really hasn't been a big deal at the NFL level - and the Patriots have run more no-huddle than anyone else the past couple years, so I feel like I would've noticed. Secondly, you need to consider the players and the game situation a little bit - if the Patriots are reeling defensively and Marquice Cole and Michael Buchanon are going down with cramps on consecutive plays, maybe, but we aren't trying to take Vince Wilfork out of the game when the other team is inside the 10 yard line.

To your first point, I don't know how pervasive it actually is today, but there is a history of NFL players faking injury to stall hurry up offenses. In fact, wasn't there a Steeler receiver that fake an injury to get a timeout or something like that? You also have players of the past spoiling it for the current players. How many former players (Brian Urlacher, Mike Golic just to name a couple) have gleefully admitted that they would or their coaches would tell them to fake an injury? Again, it is not right to boo any player who is injured, but if fans believe the player is faking to get an advantage, they are going to boo.

Secondly, asking fans who may have been drinking since 8am to consider any situation rationally is probably asking a lot.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #204
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Last season we not only had players faking injuries to slow the Patriots up, we had the refs screwing around with spots to slow the Patriots up.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #205
spleen1015
Coordinator

Patriots' fan complaining about opposing fans booing them for assumed faked injuries. Willie McGinest appreciates the support.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #206
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
To your first point, I don't know how pervasive it actually is today, but there is a history of NFL players faking injury to stall hurry up offenses. In fact, wasn't there a Steeler receiver that fake an injury to get a timeout or something like that? You also have players of the past spoiling it for the current players. How many former players (Brian Urlacher, Mike Golic just to name a couple) have gleefully admitted that they would or their coaches would tell them to fake an injury? Again, it is not right to boo any player who is injured, but if fans believe the player is faking to get an advantage, they are going to boo.

Secondly, asking fans who may have been drinking since 8am to consider any situation rationally is probably asking a lot.

Hines Ward
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #207
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Patriots fans were booing a Jets player as recent as week 1 of this season, and it was in a situation where a faked injury wouldn't have helped the Jets at all.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #208
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Patriots fans were booing a Jets player as recent as week 1 of this season, and it was in a situation where a faked injury wouldn't have helped the Jets at all.
I thought it was dumb when Pats fans booed Wilkerson too. Just like when I complain about leading with the helmet I'll acknowledge that Rodney Harrison was one of the worst offenders in the league.
Quote:
Well, hopefully the 40% of the crowd that were planning to drive home after the 3rd quarter were sobering up by then
Old 09-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #209
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Hines Ward

Last year, Emmanuel Sanders
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #210
Suicane75
Coordinator

Here's a radical rule change, lead with your hands. No more shoulder blocks or leading with your helmet or shoulders. Hitting is not tackling. Tackling is using your hands and arms to wrap up an opponent and take him to the ground.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #211
molson
General Manager

I wonder how many games the Patriots would have to win in a row to get to the point where the primary rhetoric in the Boston sports media wasn't how bleak everything is.

I mean, 4-0 is good. They only have to go .500 the rest of the way to get to 10 wins, (and they appear to be far better than a .500 team now, and have the return of two big offensive weapons still to look forward to, so you'd think they'll be comfortably in the double digits of wins once again.) It's another amazing coaching job by Bellichick & Company. I think people are just spoiled by this franchise.

Last edited by molson : 09-30-2013 at 02:53 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #212
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

We get the media we deserve, sadly. Felger and Mazz destroy in the ratings by constantly shitting out their mouths each afternoon.

My favorite is how Mazz went until early September saying the Sox would choke their way out of the playoffs, then immediately switched to anything but a World Series berth would be considered a failure.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs3 : 09-30-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #213
cuervo72
Head Coach

@molson: You think?

Last edited by cuervo72 : 09-30-2013 at 02:54 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #214
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I wonder how many games the Patriots would have to win in a row to get to the point where the primary rhetoric in the Boston sports media wasn't how bleak everything is.

I mean, 4-0 is good. They only have to go .500 the rest of the way to get to 10 wins, (and they appear to be far better than a .500 team now, and have the return of two big offensive weapons still to look forward to, so you'd think they'll be comfortably in the double digits of wins once again.) It's another amazing coaching job by Bellichick & Company. I think people are just spoiled by this franchise.

They need to enjoy the success while they can. Bad Ass Bill won't be there forever.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #215
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Nothing like watching Miami piss away a game with turnovers.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #216
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Due to baseball playoffs, Raiders Oct. 6 home game vs. Chargers has been switched 4:25 pm ET to 11:35 pm ET. Late night.

Are you ready for some 2:00 AM football?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #217
BillJasper
Pro Starter

At least Miami has the good sense to get blown out. That way I can go watch something else.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #218
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Why do I over think things in fantasy? I do this once a year. I cut Sproles after Week 2 because I wanted Bernard Pierce (12 team league, 3 RBs…so it's slim pickens). Naturally, Pierce sucked, and Sproles is kicking butt.

I keep telling myself, stick with the guys you drafted. I always draft well, then screw it up by tinkering. *sigh*

Unlike last night's game, I don't see Miami making a comeback. Saints can move the ball at will tonight it seems.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #219
Danny
Head Coach

Wow you dropped sproles? Wow
Old 09-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #220
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:

Yep. I have Reggie Bush and Jamaal Charles, so I'm fine going forward, but I got greedy (aka stupid) and thought Pierce would be a good option over Sproles' consistency for Bush when he missed a game. Yep, I'm a fantasy idiot.

After 2 weeks, I was ahead of the league in scoring by a large margin. Since then, two losses and back to reality. oh well.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #221
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hell, I dropped him for a week or two & then picked him back up ... just in time for this week
Old 10-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #222
Danny
Head Coach

Are these 6 team leagues? Hard to believe sproles would not be snagged.

On a different note, l
Old 10-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #223
Danny
Head Coach

Looks like we could have Brees vs manning part two

Last edited by Danny : 10-01-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:28 AM   #224
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Are these 6 team leagues? Hard to believe sproles would not be snagged.

ESPN standard, 10 team.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:21 AM   #225
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Looks like we could have Brees vs manning part two

If the Saints OL can improve over the course of the year, perhaps. The running game needs to get a little better for when they face elite defenses. Saints and Seahawks, Monday night in December might determine who goes to the Super Bowl for the NFC. If either of those teams have home field throughout the playoffs, moreso than even a normal year, they would have to be the easy favorites for making the Super Bowl.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #226
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:

Quote:
Hines Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Last year, Emmanuel Sanders

1988, Joe Nash.

It's been going on for a while.

Last edited by Bobble : 10-01-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #227
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Joe Nash did it every other play at times. Was borderline silly.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #228
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
ESPN standard, 10 team.

Must be nice to play with dummies.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #229
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Hell, I dropped him for a week or two & then picked him back up ... just in time for this week

Strangely enough, I picked up Eddie Lacy this morning. The guy that has Sproles cut Lacy to get him. Now he wants to deal to get Lacy back (he's an Alabama alum and thinks Lacy is the real deal) so I may get lucky and get Sproles back anyway. Never underestimate a guy's love for alma mater. With only 3 RBs on the roster, if you have one injured, you are almost forced to cut or go without.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #230
spleen1015
Coordinator

You need to keep Lacy.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #231
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Strangely enough, I picked up Eddie Lacy this morning. The guy that has Sproles cut Lacy to get him. Now he wants to deal to get Lacy back (he's an Alabama alum and thinks Lacy is the real deal) so I may get lucky and get Sproles back anyway. Never underestimate a guy's love for alma mater. With only 3 RBs on the roster, if you have one injured, you are almost forced to cut or go without.

I got Lacy in both my leagues. Including a 14 team one one with a flex. Not sure why people gave up on him so quickly. Am I wrong to assume he'll probably be their #1 back?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #232
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Keep Lacy over Sproles.

Does your league have openings? Is it a money league?
Old 10-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #233
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I think Lacy will be their #1. I'm optimistic about him. We'll see what the other guy offers…though frankly, I think he's selling Sproles high. People in this league tend to do that or make absurd offers.

No openings. 12 team league, mostly teachers in our school district. Skill varies from knowing a lot to barely knowing the names of players not on the Colts (they also get drafted too high).

Right now, I'm sitting with Kaepernick or Vick (who I unsuccessfully tried to sell high) at QB, Bush and Charles at RB, D Thomas and Megatron at WR, Clay/Finley at TE. Only weak spot is defense, but the Browns are holding their own actually. All I have to do is make the playoffs and hope for a hot streak from there.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #234
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

It depends on how healthy Lacy stays. Sproles is only getting about 10-11 touches per game so Lacy easily has the potential to put up better numbers if he's their #1 guy. GB's next two games face off against the #17th and #20th rush defenses.

Last edited by Matthean : 10-01-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #235
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
It depends on how healthy Lacy stays. Sproles is only getting about 10-11 touches per game so Lacy easily has the potential to put up better numbers if he's their #1 guy. GB's next two games face off against the #17th and #20th rush defenses.

About Le'Veon Bell? No one has him in our league? Better this year than Lacy? Steelers are struggling and Bell might give them their best chance at a rushing attack.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #236
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
About Le'Veon Bell? No one has him in our league? Better this year than Lacy? Steelers are struggling and Bell might give them their best chance at a rushing attack.

I would likely stick with Lacy, but keep track of Bell. I think Bell will be more tied to the success of the Steelers, but since the Packers have such a better offense, there's likely more chance of success there. Packers also get the NFC East so they have yet to play the Eagles and Giants who aren't exactly known for defenses this year.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #237
mckerney
Coordinator

Broncos – Jags Game Expected To Be The Largest Spread In NFL History
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #238
chadritt
High School Varsity

Baltimore Ravens agree in principle to trade for Eugene Monroe of Jacksonville Jaguars - ESPN
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #239
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Love this line
Quote:
He was Jacksonville's best offensive lineman this season, getting beat at times as he tried to pick up the slack for struggling guard Will Rackley.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #240
Logan
Head Coach

Another LT on the move...Steelers acquire Levi Brown from Arizona for one or more "low round" picks per PFT.

Cardinals don’t get much for Levi Brown | ProFootballTalk
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #241
bhlloy
Coordinator

So the 2-2 team trades their starting LT to the 0-4 team for some worthless picks? Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense although I guess if you are Steelers fan at least they are still trying...
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #242
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

The market for top ten LTs who busted is not a robust one it seems.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #243
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

If memory serves, Levi Brown is not very good...so he'll fit in perfectly
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #244
Danny
Head Coach

Jaguars are idiots. They trade a potential asset like Monroe for only a 4th and a 5th. Great pickup for Ravens.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #245
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Apparently Walt Jr. has been demoted to third string QB in Oakland, making his almost-$4 million of cap the most expensive in the league for a clipboard holder. Amongst seconds, only Chad Henne is higher, I believe.

Walt should be third, but Mark Sanchez ($12.4 million) is on IR and Josh Freeman ($9.7 million) is on SR (Schiano Reserve).

This left tackle thing is interesting. Levi Brown has always been a "why isn't he great?" player. Maybe Pittsburgh can make something of him. It's not like they're paying a lot. If I were a Steelers fan, I'd be glad to see them trying something like this. No one is running away in that division.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #246
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Another LT on the move...Steelers acquire Levi Brown from Arizona for one or more "low round" picks per PFT.

Cardinals don’t get much for Levi Brown | ProFootballTalk

I just now saw this. Levi Brown has been the posterboy for the disaster that is the Cards O-Line the past few seasons. The one time he began to show some glimmer of 1st round talent is when his contract was up-then he got hurt and then he sucked again. When he's not letting d-lineman get by him to chase/hit/injure my beloved Cards QB's, he's going false-start to kill drive after drive. They kept him because they had horrible luck/made bad decisions with replacements and draftees-such as their 1st rounder Jonathan Cooper this season who is on IR without even getting to the regular season. Some think he would do better at Guard, I don't recall the Cards ever doing that, but I think that might have been the plan if Cooper had stayed healthy.

So yeah they are 2-2, but if you saw the Buccaneers game last week, you can see they aren't going anywhere. They lost three linebackers for the season in the game previous and Carson Palmer didn't win the game for them in the end it was two Patrick Peterson INT's that did.

EDIT: Just found out a fourth Cardinals linebacker has gone on IR-one they just signed last week. *sigh*

(of course if the Cards now turn it around and make the playoffs, I will deny ever saying this. )

Last edited by Thomkal : 10-02-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #247
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Apparently Walt Jr. has been demoted to third string QB in Oakland, making his almost-$4 million of cap the most expensive in the league for a clipboard holder. Amongst seconds, only Chad Henne is higher, I believe.

Walt should be third, but Mark Sanchez ($12.4 million) is on IR and Josh Freeman ($9.7 million) is on SR (Schiano Reserve).

This left tackle thing is interesting. Levi Brown has always been a "why isn't he great?" player. Maybe Pittsburgh can make something of him. It's not like they're paying a lot. If I were a Steelers fan, I'd be glad to see them trying something like this. No one is running away in that division.

It's pretty impressive how much money the Lions secondary made Matt Flynn and how much they cost two separate teams.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #248
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Jaguars are idiots. They trade a potential asset like Monroe for only a 4th and a 5th. Great pickup for Ravens.
I can see it if they tried to work out an extension, only to have Monroe/his agent basically laugh at them and tell there was no chance of his re-signing after this year. In that case, you might as well trade him for what you can get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
They kept him because they had horrible luck/made bad decisions with replacements and draftees-such as their 1st rounder Jonathan Cooper this season who is on IR without even getting to the regular season. Some think he would do better at Guard, I don't recall the Cards ever doing that, but I think that might have been the plan if Cooper had stayed healthy.
Wait, the Cardinals were going to try Cooper at tackle? Or would Cooper have played his natural guard position and one of the other 2 currently starting guards bumped outside to tackle?
Old 10-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #249
chadritt
High School Varsity

Tampa Bay Buccaneers release Josh Freeman - ESPN

About time. Good for everyone.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #250
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I can see it if they tried to work out an extension, only to have Monroe/his agent basically laugh at them and tell there was no chance of his re-signing after this year. In that case, you might as well trade him for what you can get.
Wait, the Cardinals were going to try Cooper at tackle? Or would Cooper have played his natural guard position and one of the other 2 currently starting guards bumped outside to tackle?

I honestly can't remember if that was plan or not with Cooper-my memory is not good these days, but his latest contract was signed by the old management and head coach, and they were having salary cap problems. So I think they were ready to move him if he was not impressing them this season. They have two young tackles (who interestingly were not named to replace him at Left tackle), and along with Cooper, they were going to ease him out the door.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote