Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-23-2006, 11:23 AM   #201
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Was anyone else disappointed in Kaylee when they showed her banging the original mechanic in the engine room? Kaylee is supposed to be a good girl, not an interstellar groupie...

I don't see her as innocent. I just see her as a no-nonsense/no-bullshit kind of girl... kind of like Stuart Redman.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:42 AM   #202
gkb
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Well, I finished up the series... It's a great freakin' show. Hearing how badly FOX botched everything relating to it pisses me off. Sometimes it's like networks are actively trying to sink a show.

Has anyone read the comics? Are they essential? Should I check those out before watching the movie?

I haven't read the comics, but I've heard that they fill the gap in between the end of the series and the start of the movie. I think reading them before watching the movie is optional.

Last edited by gkb : 03-23-2006 at 11:42 AM.
gkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #203
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, I finished up the series... It's a great freakin' show. Hearing how badly FOX botched everything relating to it pisses me off. Sometimes it's like networks are actively trying to sink a show.

Has anyone read the comics? Are they essential? Should I check those out before watching the movie?

I've heard they're mediocre (I don't know if Weldon actually wrote themm( - but it might be worth it. FYI, I like the movie, but by its very nature, its more "action" than the show - which kinda sucks IMO.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 03-23-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:55 AM   #204
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
I've heard they're mediocre (I don't know if Weldon actually wrote themm( - but it might be worth it. FYI, I like the movie, but by its very nature, its more "action" than the show - which kinda sucks IMO.

He did write them. They are ok. Not a bad read at all. I think you can pick it up as a one volume trade paperback which is probably the way to go. They are not necessary to seeing the film, but you can never have too much of the characters.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #205
Coop
High School JV

the comics are not good but they are like 10 bucks at amazon

there is a summary here..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenit...se_Left_Behind
Old 03-24-2006, 06:27 PM   #206
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

**movie spoilers****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I know how you feel, Jeebs. I felt the exact same way when I first saw it. I was numb for the last half hour.

Oh man, tell me about it. I was just stunned as the horrible string of events unfolded. I mean, seeing two major characters die?! Youch!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:32 PM   #207
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
**movie spoilers****

Oh man, tell me about it. I was just stunned as the horrible string of events unfolded. I mean, seeing two major characters die?! Youch!

**MORE SPOILERS**

Book's death was sad, but it was Wash's death that really got me. It was devistating. I mean... He's Wash. Wash! He was the heart of the show. It was gutting...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #208
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
**movie spoilers****

MORE SPOILERS***********************
I had originally heard that Book and Wash wouldn't be available for the movie. I was pleasantly surprised to see that at least Wash had managed to make it. When Book died, I thought "OK, they managed to give him a token spot, and wrote him out..well worse things have happened" Then in the final minutes....Wash's death managed to take me completely by suprise. I did manage to think "Hmm, maybe he said he wouldn't be available for a sequel?"

He was one of my favorites, but then again aren't they all. That is the wonder of the show. The writing was truly top notch.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 03-24-2006 at 06:39 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:44 PM   #209
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
**MORE SPOILERS**

Book's death was sad, but it was Wash's death that really got me. It was devistating. I mean... He's Wash. Wash! He was the heart of the show. It was gutting...

***SPOILERS***

What's really stunning is that Wash is Joss's alter-ego character, much like Xander on Buffy. If I had known a character was going to die, Wash probably would've been one of my last guesses.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:44 PM   #210
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

**MORE SPOILERS**

Quote:

Wash didn't seem to be quite himself in the movie... they just didn't give him enough material to work with. An amazing character in the series though. Yeah, that was a total shocker in the movie. BUmmer.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:47 PM   #211
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
**MORE SPOILERS**

Wash didn't seem to be quite himself in the movie... they just didn't give him enough material to work with. An amazing character in the series though. Yeah, that was a total shocker in the movie. BUmmer.

Yeah, that kind of thing always happens when you have a movie based on an ensamble cast. For example, the Star Trek Next Gen movies gave the short shrift to pretty much every character who was not Picard or Data.

But Wash was a "leaf on the wind." That's what killed me. That was his most Wash-like moment of the movie and then....
Old 03-24-2006, 06:50 PM   #212
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, that kind of thing always happens when you have a movie based on an ensamble cast. For example, the Star Trek Next Gen movies gave the short shrift to pretty much every character who was not Picard or Data.

But Wash was a "leaf on the wind." That's what killed me. That was his most Wash-like moment of the movie and then....

I thought there were some other pretty good Wash moments.

"Oh god, oh god, we're all gonna die?"

and

"Just get us on the ground."
"That part will happen pretty definitely."

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:53 PM   #213
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421
I thought there were some other pretty good Wash moments.

"Oh god, oh god, we're all gonna die?"

and

"Just get us on the ground."
"That part will happen pretty definitely."

Agreed. Just reading those lines made me laugh.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:08 PM   #214
kurtism
High School Varsity

Note: for those wanting to read the comics, Dark Horse has kindly packaged them in a handy-dandy graphic novel format, available now from your finer internet retailers!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...lance&n=283155

FWIW, they are quite well done - the art manages to capture the likenesses of the characters without verging on the creepy, and Whedon/Mathews tell an excellent story.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:17 PM   #215
JeeberD
General Manager

*RUMOR ALERT!!!*

http://www.eonline.com/Gossip/Kristi...6/060213b.html

Quote:
From junglejen9: Firefly. You gotta spill it if you have any additional info, please!
I've heard the CW is considering bringing it back as a series, miniseries or movie for next season. Hurrah! For you who missed my message board posting, on Tuesday, Nate Fillion, Summer Glau and Gina Torres were seen coming out of one of the exec buildings at Paramount, where they are putting together the new CW unit.

pleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleasebetrue

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:22 PM   #216
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism
Note: for those wanting to read the comics, Dark Horse has kindly packaged them in a handy-dandy graphic novel format, available now from your finer internet retailers!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...lance&n=283155

FWIW, they are quite well done - the art manages to capture the likenesses of the characters without verging on the creepy, and Whedon/Mathews tell an excellent story.

FWIW I did go out and buy the comic before watching Serenity. I would rate it as OK. If you really love the show I would say pick it up (it's only like $10). But if someone does decided to skip it, I would advise them to at least read a snyopsis of what happens before seeing the movie. It would make a few things that seem puzzling, clear.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:24 PM   #217
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
*RUMOR ALERT!!!*

******MOVIE SPOILERS*************

I have to say I'm a little fearful of the balance of the show without the shephard and especially nervous about a post-Wash Firefly.

Poor Wash.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:04 PM   #218
JeeberD
General Manager

*********SPOILERS*********

RIP Wash

Last edited by JeeberD : 03-26-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:35 PM   #219
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I would love to see something new in the Firefly universe. I really hope there is some truth to this rumor.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:52 PM   #220
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

What the Hell is 'CW'?
Old 03-26-2006, 11:53 PM   #221
JeeberD
General Manager

I think that's the new WB/UPN combined network...

Old 03-27-2006, 12:23 AM   #222
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh riiiight! I forgot they were going to do that (I don't pay much attention to WB and UPN)
Old 03-27-2006, 08:35 AM   #223
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
*RUMOR ALERT!!!*

What Jeebs said.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:40 AM   #224
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

*SPOILER WARNING*

While I'd love the series to come back and I would watch every episode and most likely love it, no Wash... no Book... and an Uber-River would definitely change the dynamic of the show.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:52 PM   #225
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Well, my wife and I sat down and watched the entire series and movie in the span of two days. It started out innocently enough...

My wife isn't interested in Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc. So the only reason why she sat down to watch these with me is because I told her to sit down and watch them.* The first couple of episodes she thought were okay but by the time we came to Jaynestown she was really into it. We were both disappointed by the ending of the TV Series, but felt as if the movie wrapped up a lot of loose ends.

Like it was said earlier in the thread, the movie was good but it also seemed like one long TV episode. I also agree that the concept works better as a TV series...although I don't see it ever coming back with the same actors (those character that survived the movie). All in all, it was enjoyable but I have resigned myself to the fact that the story will not continue in a TV series.

*She has disobeyed me in the past with Buffy, so this is a big deal.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:59 PM   #226
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Just rewatched the entire series... such a quality show. I hope Joss Whedon gets something out there soon, he's produced 3 shows well worth watching I think.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:43 PM   #227
JeeberD
General Manager

Why must you tease me by bumping this thread?!? I thought that maybe there was going to be another movie or something...

Old 05-30-2007, 05:46 PM   #228
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Why must you tease me by bumping this thread?!? I thought that maybe there was going to be another movie or something...

"""""""""""""""""""". The wound still hurts.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:50 PM   #229
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I thought this was a boring movie, though I had never seen the show.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:55 PM   #230
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Just rewatched the entire series... such a quality show. I hope Joss Whedon gets something out there soon, he's produced 3 shows well worth watching I think.

Agreed.

Well, you can still enjoy his craft in some of the comic series he's doing. I was secretly quite happy his work on the "Wonder Woman" movie fell through. I would have seen it because he was involved, but nothing about it really interested me. Hopefully he'll do something else in TV/film soon enough.

I have now watched Battlestar Galactica (via DVD) through Season 2.5. There's some great, great stuff on that show and it's quite different from "Firefly", but I have to say, I've seen most Firely episodes 4-5 times and would happily watch almost any episode again. I can't think of one Battlestar Galactica episode I ever wanted to see again or would be excited to see again.

Again, different shows and their strengths are in different areas, but I think that says something.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:48 AM   #231
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Summer Glau is going to be in the new Terminator TV Show. It's on Fox so I can't wait for them to play the shows out of order (so you are completely confused) and then cancel the series after less than 1 full season.

Last edited by Breeze : 05-31-2007 at 06:56 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:24 PM   #232
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
*RUMOR ALERT!!!*

Hopefully this rumor alert if more accurate than that last one I posted...

hxxp://www.aintitcool.com/node/34342

Quote:
This thing keeps filling my emailbox, so here’s the deal.

The website Moviehole did a phone interview with “Serenity” star Alan Tudyk (promoting his new movie “Death at a Funeral”). The key excerpt:

Tudyk says the newly-released “Serenity : Special Edition“ DVD has been selling so hot, that there’s talk in doing another movie.

“They had to put [the new DVD] out because they’ve been selling out of the other one and so Universal’s like ‘So, let’s do another one’. And now… there’s now a chance there’s going to be another movie”.

Judging from the many emails I've gotten, there may or may not be the slightest bit of confusion here. I think some readers are taking “another one” to mean “Serenity 2,” when Tudyk is really talking about the “Serenity: Collector's Edition" DVD (pictured above) that Universal issued several weeks ago.

In other words, I’m guessing the greenlight boys at Universal have not yet told Tudyk (or Tudyk’s pal, “Serenity” mastermind Joss Whedon) anything like, “So let’s make another ‘Serenity’ movie.” Yet.

*crosses fingers*

Old 10-05-2007, 09:50 PM   #233
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

That link doesn't resolve. What is the rumor?
Old 10-05-2007, 10:01 PM   #234
JeeberD
General Manager

What's in the lower quote box is the rumor. That there might possibly be a second Firefly movie in the works...

Old 10-05-2007, 10:09 PM   #235
SnowMan
High School Varsity

I'm a newcomer to the Firefly world, but I definitely loved the series and the movie, we need more! But I'd like to see the return of all the characters somehow.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #236
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

What's in the lower quote box is the rumor. That there might possibly be a second Firefly movie in the works...

I see. I thought the second box was the earlier rumor that you were saying didn't go so well...especially considering they seemed to debunk the rumor in the same box.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:21 PM   #237
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Mm.. I might rewatch the series..Yeah, I will starting Sunday. Woot.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:39 PM   #238
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

The movie was kind of a let down / depressing.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:45 PM   #239
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Be still my beating heart...
Old 10-06-2007, 01:19 AM   #240
Blade6119
Coordinator

I am a leaf on the wind, watch me soar...
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html

Last edited by Blade6119 : 10-06-2007 at 01:19 AM.
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:01 AM   #241
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
The movie was kind of a let down / depressing.

I definately agree with this. I'd much rather season Firefly season 2 than Serenity 2.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:08 AM   #242
JeeberD
General Manager

Supposedly Whedon has said he wouldn't do another movie is Wash and Shepherd weren't in it...

*shrug*

Old 10-06-2007, 09:16 AM   #243
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Supposedly Whedon has said he wouldn't do another movie is Wash and Shepherd weren't in it...

*shrug*

I don't think I would want him to.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:20 AM   #244
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I definately agree with this. I'd much rather season Firefly season 2 than Serenity 2.

I enjoyed the movie, but not nearly as much as I thought I would. The cast didn't click the way they did in the series.

Firefly 2.. all over it. Serenity 2? Not sure how that's even possible.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:22 AM   #245
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

You know the problem is that the movie become more "action-y" - they were trying to sell outside the Firefly audience. The great thing about the show was the character development - it gave each of them time to shine and flow. The Movie became a "shoot em blow em up" kinda thing. I liked it a fair amount, but its not even close to the show.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:33 AM   #246
MikeVic
Head Coach

I liked the movie and the series. They can always do a prequel to bring back Wash and Shepherd.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #247
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I liked the movie and the series. They can always do a prequel to bring back Wash and Shepherd.

They could, but we already had a background episode where we saw all of the characters get introduced to each other. The beauty of the show was that it was very character driven, and you can't really do a prequel for a character driven series or you lose the character development. They could do a prequel from an action standpoint, but then you lose the strength of the Firefly universe. Really, they have put themselves in a corner since you can't really go forward or backward...which is why I think the movie was done as it was...they knew they were done.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:08 AM   #248
Raiders Army
Coordinator

They could do a Serenity prequel but set after Firefly.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #249
Calis
College Starter

Anyone pick up the CE of Serenity?

Haven't picked up the DVD of it yet and wondered if it was worth getting that version, how good the extras were.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:34 AM   #250
14ers
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
They could do a Serenity prequel but set after Firefly.
This is what I am hoping will happen if they ever bring back the series.

I thought Shephard's storyline had some real interesting possibilities.