Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #201
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Something that we had discussed in previous threads, though this article updates the numbers. PS3 currently has the highest percentage of quality games, while the Wii currently only has 11% of its games getting a review score of 80+.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/01/re...core-above-80/

Just when I think it can't get any dumber, it does.

1) It doesn't matter what PERCENTAGE games get 80 or 90 or any number. It matters how MANY games get over an 80 or a 90 or any number. If one system has 10 games come out for it and 8 are 80 or above and the other system has 20 games come out and 11 are 80 and above. The second system still kicks the firsts ass because it has 3 more good games. Who gives a crap about the junk games, I'm not buying them anyway.

2) Using the 80 or 8.0 score is a horrible way to look at titles. Many review sites throw their hands up in the air and anything average or better gets between a 75 and 85. That means some real garbage gets thrown in. 90 is really where you need to look for the A+++++ titles. Currently the PS3 has 4 such titles and none of them are a system exclusive. The Wii has 5 titles, all of which are system exclusives. And the 360 has 12 titles, 7 of which are exclusives.

3) If you've had your Wii unplugged for five months, it continues to confirm the obvious. You haven't even bothered with some truly terrific titles. Pro Evo soccer is a blast. No More Heros is a vastly underrated title. Mario Galaxy is a terrific game. Mario Kart is a lot of fun. Super Smash Bro is terrific. If they aren't your kind of titles, that's fine. But don't bash the system for that. The Wii is coming out with quality games. There is junk out there for it, but smart shoppers can avoid that. I'm not going to rush out and purchase GO Sports Skydiving for the PS3, nor am I going to hold it against Sony that the garbage came out on their system and they published it.

This is why people think you work for Sony. If the article had talked only about A+ exclusives to this point and showed Sony in a distant third, you'd never have linked the story.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #202
MJ4H
Coordinator

Different Strokes for different folks. I play my Wii pretty much every day. We have friends over for Wii parties almost once a week. These last anywhere from 3 or 4 hours to 12 hours and are some of the most fun times I have ever had. I have seen 1, maybe 2 or 3 games each on PS3 and xbox 360 that make we want to play them. It's about the games for me, and I just like different things than some others I guess. And I honestly couldn't care less whether my games are in 480p and your games are in 1 googolp.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #203
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
This is why people think you work for Sony. If the article had talked only about A+ exclusives to this point and showed Sony in a distant third, you'd never have linked the story.

But that's not the case, so I obviously can't link to a story like that. No one was upset when I was linking to stories about Sony management screwing up the release or when they were putting out PR stories in Europe that didn't even come close to matching what was actually occurring. The premise that I never link to negative Sony press or positive press for other system is simply untrue.

The one game you do mention that I'd like to play once it gets cheaper is No More Heroes. I've heard very good things about that game.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #204
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Another manufacturer leaks that they have been contracted to build Xbox 360's with built-in Blu-ray players. I still think this is a terrible idea to do this. If it is true, it could lend more credence to the recent mention by insiders that Microsoft executives are not sold that the HD digital distribution is a viable mass-market alternative at this point........

http://kotaku.com/386372/another-man...ming-this-year

Quote:
Another Manufacturer Says Xbox 360 Blu-ray Coming This Year

XBOX 360 BLU RAYA report from Taiwanese news source Economic Daily News says that Pegatron Technology—a recently formed subsidiary of Asus that shouldn't be confused with the Decepticon leader—has received an order from Microsoft to manufacture a Blu-ray equipped model of the Xbox 360. According to the report, Pegatron says that it plans to begin production on the HD version of the Xbox 360 soon, with plans to ship within the next six months, aiming for a pre-holiday release.

It won't be the first time we've heard talk about Microsoft gloming on to the format, as the DigiTimes recently pegged manufacturer Lite-On as a Xbox 360 Blu-ray drive maker and Sony executives hinted that its competitor was feeling Blu to the Financial Times. MS CEO Steve Ballmer recently went on record about the move away from HD-DVD, saying the company will "support Blu-ray in ways that make sense."

Microsoft PR, of course, continues to beat the digital distribution drum and deny the existence of a BRD playing 360. We would of course be shocked to learn that something slipped from the airtight walls of Microsoft early, so we're sticking with unconfirmed rumor at this point.

The EDN report also mentions that a price cut for the Core (Arcade) version of the 360 is planned, but doesn't provide further details on timing or adjustments.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:45 AM   #205
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yes, I'm rolling in Sony money. My dog got an extra pig's ear yesterday.

Well, you did mention you were too rich to get a tax rebate
Old 05-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #206
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Well, you did mention you were too rich to get a tax rebate

Yes, you won't see my income on the statements. It's listed as 'Other Expenses' on the Sony financial documents.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #207
Kodos
Resident Alien

Just saw yesterday that a Clank game is coming for the PSP. Awesome!
Old 05-02-2008, 10:28 AM   #208
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

The 360 possibly getting a Blu-Ray drive is interesting to me. I've been holding off on getting a new console for a number of reasons, but the PS3/360 feature split is one of them. The PS3 having Blu-Ray and free online (which I won't use much) is pretty strong, but the 360 has more people playing currently and a better online system (which I still probably won't use much). I would love to see a combination of Blu-Ray and a console which has the majority of the players.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #209
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Also with my 360, they said they could only fix the problems in the DVD drive and can not replace the entire drive. This is, and I don't recall their exact words, basically because they have parts of the DVD drive built into other parts so that it makes it extremely difficult or near impossible to replace the whole thing.

Well, the real reason they can't is that the DVD drive is locked to the console. Meaning, if you put in a new DVD drive, it won't read any 360 discs unless you extract the registration of the old DVD to the new DVD drive. It's possible to do, since one of these weeks I need to replace the DVD drive on this 360 that I got for free, but it's not exactly an easy process. You need a PC with a SATA interface and software tools. But the DVD drives are only like 50 bucks, so it's not that expensive.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #210
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
I still think this is a terrible idea to do this. If it is true, it could lend more credence to the recent mention by insiders that Microsoft executives are not sold that the HD digital distribution is a viable mass-market alternative at this point........
Why is it a terrible idea? Blu-Ray is the only advantage PS3 has over the 360 right now in NA so why not neutralize that if they can?
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #211
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
But that's not the case, so I obviously can't link to a story like that. No one was upset when I was linking to stories about Sony management screwing up the release or when they were putting out PR stories in Europe that didn't even come close to matching what was actually occurring. The premise that I never link to negative Sony press or positive press for other system is simply untrue.

The one game you do mention that I'd like to play once it gets cheaper is No More Heroes. I've heard very good things about that game.

You damned well know you wouldn't have linked the story I suggested.

What's amazing to me is that you purchased the Wii and then are stunned that Mario, Zelda and Metroid games are the high water games for the system. Ummm, ok. Do some research on Nintendo next time and figure out what they make. I'm still stunned you have a Wii that's been unplugged for five months. Mine doesn't go more than 5 or 6 days without being in use to some degree. Five months? Donate the thing to a senior citizens home or a burn center for children and let someone get some use out of the system.

As for MS, I think they are making a good move if the blu ray rumors are true. There wasn't a clear winner between HDDVD or Blu Ray when the system came out. So they weren't morons and didn't tie their system to one or the other. Make an HDDVD add on, etc. By the time they get the Blu Ray player in, the costs will be lowered so they won't have to sell their system at 600 bucks. They'll also take away one of the edges Sony has. It's a smart business decision.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #212
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Why is it a terrible idea? Blu-Ray is the only advantage PS3 has over the 360 right now in NA so why not neutralize that if they can?

My opinion is that they're better off selling the system for their game selection and avoiding a system that will be just as expensive as the PS3. If they switch sides for a third time in the format war (putting in a BR player after saying HD-DVD was the one and then saying that digital distribution was the way to do), some consumers may question whether they have a long-term idea for the system or are just being reactionary (with the possible 360-mote being another example).
Old 05-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #213
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
My opinion is that they're better off selling the system for their game selection and avoiding a system that will be just as expensive as the PS3. If they switch sides for a third time in the format war (putting in a BR player after saying HD-DVD was the one and then saying that digital distribution was the way to do), some consumers may question whether they have a long-term idea for the system or are just being reactionary (with the possible 360-mote being another example).

What a crock. They didn't "switch" from HD-DVD to downloads, they supported both simultaneously. They didn't decided to stop supporting HD-DVD, Toshiba made that decision for them. They have said all along they would consider supporting Blu-Ray as well if the situation warranted. Nothing "reactionary" about that.

A bigger reason to not support Blu-Ray is that the format is not really taking off after the demise of HD-DVD. Sales figures for players are not increasing since the HD-DVD plug was pulled. (http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9932311-7.html?tag=bl) For Blu-Ray to be a long term viable media, it is going to need to get an alternate delivery vehicle gain widespread acceptance besides the PS3, else it becomes another UMD.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #214
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
A bigger reason to not support Blu-Ray is that the format is not really taking off after the demise of HD-DVD. Sales figures for players are not increasing since the HD-DVD plug was pulled. (http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9932311-7.html?tag=bl) For Blu-Ray to be a long term viable media, it is going to need to get an alternate delivery vehicle gain widespread acceptance besides the PS3, else it becomes another UMD.

From the article you cite............

Quote:
"The NPD Group released some of its retail sales tracking data Wednesday that showed sales of Blu-ray standalone players (not a PlayStation 3, combo player, or PC with Blu-ray drive) had mostly decreased since the beginning of the year.

So, if you take away the three most popular versions of a Blu-ray player, it's not selling all that well. Sound reasoning in that article.

In related news, Nintendo consoles (not including DS or Wii game systems) have seen double digit declines in sales over the past year.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #215
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sony reports 4X increase in profits overall ($3.6 billion profit). Gaming division provides 40% of that profit increase; cuts losses by $950M..........

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=27372
Old 05-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #216
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
In related news, Nintendo consoles (not including DS or Wii game systems) have seen double digit declines in sales over the past year.

BECAUSE THE WHOLE WORLD HAS ONE NOW!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #217
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
So, if you take away the three most popular versions of a Blu-ray player, it's not selling all that well. Sound reasoning in that article.

And that goes to further bolster my point that Blu-Ray needs to find another widely adopted player besides the PS3. Someone buying a stand-alone player is guaran-damn-teed buying one to play Blu-Ray movies on. Someone buying a PS3 or PC with Blu-Ray isn't. Otherwise, like I mentioned before, it runs the risk of becoming like UMD, having the vast bulk of it's market tied to a single device (PS3), which the primary use for is not to play movies.

I'll have to dig up the links, but I read that several studios are thinking of cutting back on their Blu-Ray release plans due to lower than expected sales on current titles.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #218
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Spleen, I think you missed his point...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 05-02-2008 at 01:44 PM. Reason: clarity
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #219
Daimyo
College Starter

His point is pretty silly. If Blu-Ray is taking off you'd expect to see sales increases across the board for PS3s, standalone players, combo players, and PC drives. Of those four the only ones that you know will always lead to future BR movies sales are standalone players and combo players. The fact that standalone players sales have decreased from the start of the year to now is certainly relevant to the discussion. It would be interesting to see the combo players numbers, but with the death of HDDVD, I imagine they're so insignificant to be irrelevant.

Unless you meant his "point" about trying to make a parallel with Nintendo which was completely pointless and not really worthy of comment...

Last edited by Daimyo : 05-02-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #220
Daimyo
College Starter

DOLA, unless of course you mean MBF missed Cartman's point... which he obviously did.

Last edited by Daimyo : 05-02-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #221
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
The fact that standalone players sales have decreased from the start of the year to now is certainly relevant to the discussion.

You're right. It's extremely relevant. Its relevance is that the makers of those players need to do a lot better job with the stand-alone players. The stand-alone players don't hold a candle to the BR abilities of the PS3, hence the reason that most sites having anything to do with HD media offer up the PS3 as the best BR player available at this point in time.

Paramount and Universal won't even be releasing their movies on BR until June, which should provide a solid boost. BR disc sales have nearly doubled in the past three months since the format war ended. That's a much better indicator of whether the format is heading in the right direction than anything that was said in the previously noted article.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #222
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I offloaded my Nintendo paperweight a few weeks ago for a good price on Ebay. If you aren't going to use it, i'd suggest doing so while you can still get a good return on it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #223
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I offloaded my Nintendo paperweight a few weeks ago for a good price on Ebay. If you aren't going to use it, i'd suggest doing so while you can still get a good return on it.

Are you saying the Wii was a paperweight for you?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #224
stevew
Hall Of Famer

pretty much. I'm really not big into gaming these days, and the Wii just wasn't a good fit for me. I'd had it a year, so it was out of warranty. Figured getting back basically what I'd payed was a good enough deal for me.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #225
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Spleen, I think you missed his point...

Actually, I misread what he said.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #226
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Which means you missed his point
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:00 AM   #227
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Which means you missed his point

It means I can't read because of my Washington, DC public school education! It is all Marion Barry's fault!
Old 05-03-2008, 09:02 PM   #228
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Early sales numbers are in for the first day of Grand Theft Auto sales in North America.

Unit sales in North America:

Xbox 360: 1.5M
PS3: 1M

Attach rate in North America:

Xbox 360: 12.9%
PS3: 21.2%

It would appear that the early rumors that the 360 version attach rate was exceeding the PS3 were highly overexaggerated. Certainly, that's not what Microsoft wanted to hear, given that the Xbox 360 has a 3:1 console ratio lead over the PS3 in North America. The full picture won't be in until later in April once we get some rough numbers for the first 2-3 weeks of sales.

As mentioned earlier, the Xbox 360 held a 55:45 unit sales lead in the UK on the first day. The attach rate was much better for the PS3, given that the 360 has a 2:1 console lead in that country. Overall in Europe, it's expected that the PS3 version outsold the 360 version. Final numbers in that regard should be in sometime next week for verification.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #229
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

What's the source, MBBF? MS is claiming over a 2-1 margin of GTA IV Sales in America, and I haven't seen any conclusive numbers from any reliable sources, yet.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-03-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:56 AM   #230
SackAttack
Head Coach

I guess it depends on where you go, but the PS3 hasn't come close to doing better than 2.5 or 3 to 1 at my store. That said, the PS3 really hasn't sold that well here since the 80 GB model got discontinued. There was that big burst of folks getting 60's while the getting was good, but as soon as the 80 was gone, it's like interest deflated.

We got something like 500 360 versions and 200 PS3 versions of the game, and we're at 1:1 parity or so right now in terms of the number of copies left, having not received a restock shipment yet. I'll let you do the math.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:51 AM   #231
eiskrap
n00b

Quote:
As mentioned earlier, the Xbox 360 held a 55:45 unit sales lead in the UK
It sold out on 360 (definitely in London and online retailers) so it couldn't really sell any more, not sure if the PS3 version did as well. Its only just becoming available online again now so this figure its pretty useless for a while...

Last edited by eiskrap : 05-04-2008 at 04:52 AM.
eiskrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:56 AM   #232
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiskrap View Post
It sold out on 360 (definitely in London and online retailers) so it couldn't really sell any more, not sure if the PS3 version did as well. Its only just becoming available online again now so this figure its pretty useless for a while...

I think some of this is 'hype' - put it this way the friend I'm staying with picked up a copy locally (near Cambridge) without much hassle at all.

I have no doubt that stores did sell out during the initial few hours in London - but wonder if this wasn't at least somewhat by intent and supply restriction more than anything.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:38 AM   #233
eiskrap
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I think some of this is 'hype' - put it this way the friend I'm staying with picked up a copy locally (near Cambridge) without much hassle at all.

I have no doubt that stores did sell out during the initial few hours in London - but wonder if this wasn't at least somewhat by intent and supply restriction more than anything.

Just speaking from experience... the main websites I use are all out of stock still, and I couldn't find a copy in London last week. Think this would definitely have an impact on the number of 360 copies sold this week. Managed to get a copy online, but they're out of stock again... so there are still supply issues.
eiskrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #234
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The 360/PS3 ratio for GTA4 will be interesting. Depending on the what multiplatform game it is the numbers have varied wildly.

A few months ago Devil May Cry 4 (a "PlayStation legacy" franchise, the previous three games were PS2 exclusives) came out and it was 296k and 233k (56/44 in favor of the 360 version).

Last month the game Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 came out, the sequel to a game that came out in the 360 in November 2006 with a (somewhat shoddy IIRC) PS3 port released in June 2007. In this case the sales split was 752k/155k in favor of the 360 version. (83/17)

GTA being massively more popular and less of a "PlayStation legacy" franchise than Devil May Cry (GTA came out on PC and Xbox as well last gen, just not when the PS2 games came out) will be somewhere in between those two, but it's hard to predict exactly.

As of the March NPDs:

XBox 360 - 9.9m
PS3 - 4.1m

(70/30 split in 360's favor)

A 2:1 split as their PR indicated would be solid for Microsoft IMO, and if packing in the one free month of XBox Live gets new subscribers then it's even better for them.

One thing that might surprise some people would be if Mario Kart Wii were to outsell the PS3 version of GTA next month, which I think is quite possible.

Edit: These are all NPD numbers, so USA only. America is by far the best territory for the 360 in relation to the PS3 so the split in Europe will be completely different, but we rarely get to see reliable numbers from that territory so...

Last edited by Big Fo : 05-04-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:59 AM   #235
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
What's the source, MBBF? MS is claiming over a 2-1 margin of GTA IV Sales in America, and I haven't seen any conclusive numbers from any reliable sources, yet.

The sales estimates of 1.5M to 1M are from a retail estimate at VGCharts.com. I can't access that site here, but the article is listed in the headlines listing.

FWIW, the NPD numbers are scheduled to come out early this month (May 9th), so we'll have full sales numbers for the first 5 days later this week. European numbers for the 1st week should be out this week as well. I'm interested to see the overall 1st week numbers when compared to first day sales in both regions.

The U.S. stores had enough stock generally to cover demand, so the NPD numbers should accurately represent demand. As SackAttack mentioned, the 360 holds a 2:1 margin in overall installed base, so that will be the likely measure of success for Microsoft in North America.

Europe had some shortage issues that may lead to better 2nd week sales in that region due to resupply. So the first week may not completely be an accurate picture of demand. The overall installed base in Europe favors the 360 at a 55:45 ratio. Sales of GTA4 bundles in Europe will also be an interesting thing to watch. Any increase in hardware sales can likely be attributed to GTA4. For comparison, the worldwide boost for Halo 3 was around 400K console units.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #236
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Analysts predict that GTA4 release could cause a shift in console sales...........

http://www.forbes.com/2008/05/02/wii...rss_popstories
Old 05-05-2008, 08:25 AM   #237
MJ4H
Coordinator

I predict I could win the lottery.

edit to add: ............

Last edited by MJ4H : 05-05-2008 at 08:27 AM. Reason: ...........
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #238
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

First review of MGS4 to be released on May 16th.

http://metalgearsolid4.net/2008/05/0...xt-friday.html
Old 05-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #239
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Analysts predict that GTA4 release could cause a shift in console sales...........

http://www.forbes.com/2008/05/02/wii...rss_popstories

I don't follow all of the "analysts predict" links, but I did this one. There is no analysis done in the article and none even hinted at in the article. It is an OpEd piece slamming the Wii because you can't play GTA IV on it.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:09 AM   #240
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I don't follow all of the "analysts predict" links, but I did this one. There is no analysis done in the article and none even hinted at in the article. It is an OpEd piece slamming the Wii because you can't play GTA IV on it.

Certainly, Pachter's comments are made based on quite a bit of research. He's making his comments based on the market trends that he's noted.

I don't agree with the general premise in the article that the Wii will suddenly suffer. It will be interesting to watch Wii sales over the next 9-12 months now that supply is finally catching up with demand. It's going to be extremely high sales over the next few months, but then we'll have to see if MS or Sony makes that next price cut in the fall that puts them in pricing competition with the Wii. That would be a great market test to see if the Wii can compete on level terms in regards to pricing.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-05-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #241
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post

And it makes the same old tired arguements that the Wii has already clobbered. I love this quote:

The advantages of the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 go beyond just rich, immersive games. "If [gamers] care more about high-definition, or they care about online, or they care about more graphically rich immersive games, they're going to consider a 360 or Playstation 3," Pachter asserts.

This was true when all of the consoles came out. The people who purchase the Wii don't give a damn about HD graphics. They aren't your die hard video game addicts that want to see huge explosions. They are everything from senior citizens to the parents of a couple of 6 year olds who want to interact with each other and play games with the kids.

The Wii has dominated from day one. It hasn't shown a single sign of slowing down. This isn't a game critic. This is an idiot and a hack.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:20 AM   #242
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Certainly, Pachter's comments are made based on quite a bit of research. He's making his comments based on the market trends that he's noted.

What research? He never shows any real evidence of research. I wonder if he is also on the Sony payroll
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #243
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I don't agree with the general premise in the article that the Wii will suddenly suffer. It will be interesting to watch Wii sales over the next 9-12 months now that supply is finally catching up with demand. It's going to be extremely high sales over the next few months, but then we'll have to see if MS or Sony makes that next price cut in the fall that puts them in pricing competition with the Wii. That would be a great market test to see if the Wii can compete on level terms in regards to pricing.

I don't agree with that at all. Pachter is as much of an analyst as I am...or at least that article shows as much analysis. He gave a few facts and opinions from other analysts citing how much money Take Two is expecting to make off of GTA IV and how much Microsoft has paid for exclusive content, but that is about it. The rest is all editorial. I also find it interesting how all of the article is "PS3 and Xbox360" this and "Xbox360 and PS3" that, but the final line of the article is that GTA IV will give the PS3 a new lease on life.

Actually, the only way that last line makes sense is if he is really saying that the 360 is fine and GTA IV will help, but the PS3 was about to be dead and GTA IV is the reason.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #244
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I have to agree with Troy that calling the Wii and the PS3/360 competing products is silly. They may both be competing for entertainment dollars, but they are completely different products targeting different markets with only a small amount of overlap.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:14 AM   #245
Daimyo
College Starter

Which sells more this month? Mario Kart Wii or the PS3 version of GTA4? I'd bet on the former. His article focuses on games like GTA4 and MGS ignoring Nintendo's first party hits like Mario Kart and Smash Bros that sell very well on their own and will be released throughout the Wii's lifecycle.

Last edited by Daimyo : 05-05-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #246
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Pachter predicted something like a 55/35/10 split between Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo before any of the consoles came out, he's been proven to be spectacularly wrong and every now and then comes out with a new article that supports his false hypothesis.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #247
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Pachter predicted something like a 55/35/10 split between Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo before any of the consoles came out, he's been proven to be spectacularly wrong and every now and then comes out with a new article that supports his false hypothesis.

That's a lousy reason to write off an opinion/analysis. If we're going to use that criteria, we should ignore every opinion/analysis as having no basis because you won't find a person in the gaming media that predicted that the Wii would do so well. Pachter was part of the vast majority that thought the PS3 would do well.

I'm assuming that you're implying that you knew that the Wii would handily be ahead at this point. If so, we'll subscribe to only your opinion going forward.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-05-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #248
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's a lousy reason to write off an opinion/analysis. If we're going to use that criteria, we should ignore every opinion/analysis as having no basis because you won't find a person in the gaming media that predicted that the Wii would do so well. Pachter was part of the vast majority that thought the PS3 would do well.

I'm assuming that you're implying that you knew that the Wii would handily be ahead at this point. If so, we'll subscribe to only your opinion going forward.

Well, it's a bit different in this case where he's trying to say his old opinion was not wrong, it's just taking longer for Sony to catch Microsoft and both to catch the Wii than he aniticipated it would...
Old 05-05-2008, 01:17 PM   #249
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Well, it's a bit different in this case where he's trying to say his old opinion was not wrong, it's just taking longer for Sony to catch Microsoft and both to catch the Wii than he aniticipated it would...

Quote where Pachter said that? It wasn't in this article. I'm assuming it's in another article.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #250
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

I'm not discounting him because he was wrong. (though I do think he was an idiot not to see the PS3 in real trouble long before its release. Let's face it, I predicted that the PS3 would have a disasterous first year and I'm not brilliant or an industry insider by any stretch)

Why I'm discounting him as a hack (along with the writer of the article) is because he's giving the same old tired line now that was being used before the consoles came out.

I know this may come as a monumental shock to him, but people knew the Wii didn't have HD and the PS3/360 did a long time ago. Look at sales numbers and tell me how many people that has impacted? Last month the Wii sold 608,000 units more worldwide than the PS3.

The PS3 sold just over 200k more than the 360 last month for comparison.

The Wii demand is still not slowing down. This generation is O_V_E_R as far as #1 is concerned and any hack that can't see that is just that, a hack.