Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2007, 07:23 AM   #201
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

man, Bryant Gumbel was at the top of his game. even my wife was correcting him, and she doesn't know much about football. she, though, is at least able to tell that the guys in blue play for NY and the guys in white play for NE.

he just annoys the fuck out of me. When the Pats were taking the field for the first time: "and the Pats come back onto the field for the first time tonight". huh?

when the Giants scored their first TD: "and just like that, we have a ball game". Bryant, it's the first quarter. He was INSANE about the perfect season thing. Every time the Giants made a play, they were one step closer to the upset. For crying out loud, when the Giants scored that late TD, and still needed an onside kick, a drive into FG range with what appears to be the worst hurry up offense in the NFL, and a FG just to tie it, he made it sound like they had the Pats on the ropes. What a complete tool.

That was an exciting game to watch. I wonder who keeps the ball from the 2nd Moss TD - it was a record breaker for both Moss and Brady.

The Giants have a good little team, and it wouldn't shock me to see them go deep in the playoffs. They played stupid football in the 2nd half, though. When the Giants first 4th Q possession was a Manning fumble followed by 2 incomplete passes (taking all of 1:17 off the clock), I knew they'd lost the game. And that final drive of theirs was just ugly. They did know they had to score twice, right?
Old 12-30-2007, 07:26 AM   #202
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

oh, and I wasn't listening all that closely, but I think I heard the NFL Network bozos say that the pressure would increase for the Pats after this. I disagree. I think now that they get over this hump, the pressure is off a little bit. There's still pressure to get to the Super Bowl, but that's not really all that different from a normal postseason for a good team. And certainly, they've felt that pressure before, and it's worked out ok for them.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:44 AM   #203
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Watching this game really made me wonder how bad the NFL wanted the Pats to go undefeated into the playoffs, the Giats had a couple of BS phantom calls that affected the game. Especialy the 2 on Toomer virtualy in succession.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:47 AM   #204
SteveMax58
College Starter

50 TD's from Brady...23 TD's from Moss...and 290-something rush yards from Peterson in a single game...the NFL is so unrealistic.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:49 AM   #205
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Watching this game really made me wonder how bad the NFL wanted the Pats to go undefeated into the playoffs, the Giats had a couple of BS phantom calls that affected the game. Especialy the 2 on Toomer virtualy in succession.

I agree that the Pats got some favorable calls. But, they are often a team on the wrong side of the bad calls so I just looked at it as a rebalancing of the karmic forces.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:54 AM   #206
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
The Giants have a good little team, and it wouldn't shock me to see them go deep in the playoffs. They played stupid football in the 2nd half, though. When the Giants first 4th Q possession was a Manning fumble followed by 2 incomplete passes (taking all of 1:17 off the clock), I knew they'd lost the game. And that final drive of theirs was just ugly. They did know they had to score twice, right?

As a Giants fan, I can tell you this describes the last 3+ years. They play to tie & not get blown out more often than they play to win. This game last night was another game where they are a play or 2 from possibly winning...but alas great teams make those plays, and mediocre teams do not.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:09 AM   #207
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Bah, bunch of whining. The Toomer one on the sidelines was BS, although I think the Giants kind of brought on a call by getting all mad when the tackle was clearly a hit in bounds (the kick returner still had one foot in the field of play when he got shoved). But yeah, not sure what they called there.

My favorite was Plaxico dropping the TD pass and getting all mad about the no-call when replays clearly showed him shoving Wilson (?) to the ground.

Officiating was actually pretty decent in this one.

Congrats to the Giants on playing hard. They came out and fought, and hung 35 on the Pats. I think the big difference in this one was New England getting those long drives in the first half to wear the defense down for the second half scoring splurge. Eli played pretty well, Jacobs was a beast (that first TD catch was all will).

Congrats to my beloved Pats on the undefeated season, the scoring record, and the TD record for both Brady and Moss. Now to finish this thing out.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:34 AM   #208
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Sell the TD ball on ebay and then put an asterisk on it and give it to Canton.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:36 AM   #209
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:

Agreed 100%
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:50 AM   #210
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
Agreed 100%

I didn't think people that could formulate this opinion would have the cognitive power to work a keyboard.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:24 AM   #211
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I didn't think people that could formulate this opinion would have the cognitive power to work a keyboard.

his mother types his answers for him
Old 12-30-2007, 09:43 AM   #212
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
his mother types his answers for him

Funny? I thought mom jokes went out in the 2nd grade.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:45 AM   #213
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

My favorite was Plaxico dropping the TD pass and getting all mad about the no-call when replays clearly showed him shoving Wilson (?) to the ground.

Please tell me after he did this, he found Moss on the sideline as cried "I learned it by watching you, alright!?!?"
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:57 AM   #214
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Please tell me after he did this, he found Moss on the sideline as cried "I learned it by watching you, alright!?!?"

Moss doesn't usually whine that the other guy should have been called for intereference when he pushes off.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:59 AM   #215
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Haven't seen Moss do that at all, at least not this year. In fact several times I've seen him get man handled and not blink an eye returning to the huddle. Now, if you are asking whether he learned how to actually physically abuse the DB and not get called for it, that's something else altogether. But I have not seen Moss bitch at the refs.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:04 AM   #216
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Moss doesn't usually whine that the other guy should have been called for intereference when he pushes off.

Quote:
Haven't seen Moss do that at all, at least not this year. In fact several times I've seen him get man handled and not blink an eye returning to the huddle. Now, if you are asking whether he learned how to actually physically abuse the DB and not get called for it, that's something else altogether. But I have not seen Moss bitch at the refs.

That's where I was trying to go with it...my joke bombed.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #217
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
You are absurd! They don't recognize the other 2 because they were shorter schedules and before the merger.

What media blocks anything before 1980? The same media that glorifies Babe Ruth, Ali, those historic Celtics teams, and all other greats?

Witness all of those "Best of..." web lists that ESPN, SI, Sportsline do that only goes back to the last "25" years. The demographics are for the under-40 crowd and it's best they highlight those teams/players/events/moments in their lifetime (to the point where 'old school' becomes a cliche and the butt of jokes). Fans like you and I can appreciate baseball's or football's total history but we're an exception.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:47 AM   #218
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I keep seeing here and elsewhere the phrase that this undefeated season for the Pats will become "meaningless" if they don't win the SB. I think that's hyperbole since they did set 4 significant records this year that I think will stand for a while. Those are not meaningless. I think some people remember great seasons (and individual performances) just as much as they remember the champions.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:49 AM   #219
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

When I say it is meaningless I mean specifically the 16-0 record. It's still a season for the ages, no matter what happens.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #220
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I keep seeing here and elsewhere the phrase that this undefeated season for the Pats will become "meaningless" if they don't win the SB. I think that's hyperbole since they did set 4 significant records this year that I think will stand for a while. Those are not meaningless. I think some people remember great seasons (and individual performances) just as much as they remember the champions.

I think it's valid. One of those records was most points in the season, breaking the '98 Vikings record. No one cares about them.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:19 AM   #221
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
I think it's valid. One of those records was most points in the season, breaking the '98 Vikings record. No one cares about them.

Thats exactly right, the one tihng that means more than anything in the NFL is winning the Super Bowl. This pats team, if it loses now and doesn't take home lombardi, will not be perfect. They'll be one of the 4 (or is it 5 now) teams tht completed the regular season undefeated. Only the Dolphins ave ever had the perfect season.

They will be considered one of the best teams ever because of the records they set and the fact that they are the first team to be undefeated in the regular season since they went to a 16 game schedule.

The fact that they did so actually has me hoping that they'll move 2 games from the preseason into the regular season and have an 18 game schedule someday soon. It would be very easy to implement with the current scheduling setup.

Congrats to the Patsies, they went 16-0, for their sake I hope they don't blow it and lose in the playoffs because it would really ruin the historic view of this team.

*Tom Brady is still a girlie man, no matter what the popular opinion says
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:13 PM   #222
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

21 yard run by Favre on the Packers first drive. Wow, he hasn't gone that far in years. Wish I had seen it.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:13 PM   #223
Raiders Army
Coordinator

It's hard to find a good football game that's on right now.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:17 PM   #224
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ryan Grant with a 20 something yard (I think, it was long I know that) TD run. Packers up fast. Nice.

And I just got a load finally after sitting for 24 hours. Looks like I need to take off and can't post about football all day while I listen to it on the radio and watch it online. It's a good thing I guess......
Old 12-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #225
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Chicago is doing well, although I'm more tired of the Devin Hester hype than the perfect season hype. Hester didn't do shit against the Raiders and they kicked it to him every single time.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:19 PM   #226
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Brady Quinn is now playing in Cleveland
Old 12-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #227
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Belichick strikes again!!!

Last edited by jeff061 : 12-30-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #228
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Thanks for the heads-up. Switching over right now.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #229
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Chicago is doing well, although I'm more tired of the Devin Hester hype than the perfect season hype. Hester didn't do shit against the Raiders and they kicked it to him every single time.

The guy has 12 TD's in two years, but yeah, go ahead and judge him on one game.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #230
Raiders Army
Coordinator

damn, Quinn is lookng pretty good.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:26 PM   #231
larrymcg421
Head Coach

*paging Cam*

Old 12-30-2007, 01:35 PM   #232
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

Old 12-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #233
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

I'm not saying he isn't a great player; he clearly is a great returner. However, does he deserve all the hype? I think Daunte Hall was a better overall returner. Hall didn't get rated a 100 in speed for Madden. Hall didn't do a bunch of commercials for the NFL.

He had 8 tackles last year as a DB and 1 tackle this year. This year as a receiver, he's had 18 receptions for 234 yards and one touchdown. He's also rushed 7 times for -10 yards.

13 TDs in two years...as an offensive player I'd say that's particularly pedestrian.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #234
Galaril
Pro Starter

The Jags and Texans has turned into an interesting game.The Texan's are up by 14 and Andre Davis returns two KOs for TDS.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #235
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:

Also, judge him on two years.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:43 PM   #236
Galaril
Pro Starter

The Colts Titans game tonight is going to be pretty good. Whenever those two get together it is almost always a physical war and usually a close game even with the Colts high pwoered offense.Plus, with the Titans fighting for a playoff spot and evryone talking how even with the Colts starters only going to playa quarter or two that should be enough offense to overpower the Titans.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:46 PM   #237
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Anderson is back in.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:58 PM   #238
Rizon
Pro Starter

I think Beck from Miami has set the record for highest turnover % (TO/touches). I don't think I've ever seen him NOT fumble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:02 PM   #239
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm not saying he isn't a great player; he clearly is a great returner. However, does he deserve all the hype? I think Daunte Hall was a better overall returner. Hall didn't get rated a 100 in speed for Madden. Hall didn't do a bunch of commercials for the NFL.

He had 8 tackles last year as a DB and 1 tackle this year. This year as a receiver, he's had 18 receptions for 234 yards and one touchdown. He's also rushed 7 times for -10 yards.

13 TDs in two years...as an offensive player I'd say that's particularly pedestrian.

And another thing, I'd credit the Bears return teams just as much for Hester's returns as Hester himself. He doesn't block the other teams.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:02 PM   #240
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Dante Hall - 104 games, 12 return TD's
Devin Hester - 31 games, 10 return TD's (11 if you count the FG return)

Hester is getting return TD's at an unprecedented rate. 1 TD every 3 games is unheard of for a return man. If that doesn't deserve hype, then I don't know what does.

Quote:

Now you're just making an assinine argument. You very well know that he hasn't been an offensive player for 2 years, so why make such a ridiciulous statement? 11 return TD's in 2 years certainly isn't pedestrian, considering it's never been done before in NFL history.

Quote:
Also, judge him on two years.

How the fuck else are we supposed to judge him? You wanted to judge him based on one single game. I'm judging him based on his entire career at this point. No, we can't look into a crystal ball and see how he'll do in future years, but in 2 seasons he's already within 2 of the career kickoff TD record and within 4 of the career punt TD record. I'm sorry, but that's damn impressive whether you like it or not.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:03 PM   #241
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Anderson is back in.

And the Browns fans were booing him. Ummm, the only reason you are good this season is because of Anderson.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #242
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Oh, and it looks like you can add two more TD's to Hester's total.

Hester is now tied for 6th all time (with Dave Meggett) in punt return TD's. He just passed Deion Sanders and Dante Hall.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 12-30-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #243
korme
Go Reds

Some young CB just laid out CJ after Johnson holds on for a 15 yd catch. As soon as the corner gets up he runs down the field, but Chad gets up right behind him and chases behind him and the CB starts to clap and CJ just claps right behind him like "Don't celebrate after I just held on to a 15 yard completion!"
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:18 PM   #244
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Hester is getting return TD's at an unprecedented rate. 1 TD every 3 games is unheard of for a return man. If that doesn't deserve hype, then I don't know what does.
Again, not saying he isn't a great player, but he doesn't deserve all the hype he gets.
Quote:
Now you're just making an assinine argument. You very well know that he hasn't been an offensive player for 2 years, so why make such a ridiciulous statement? 11 return TD's in 2 years certainly isn't pedestrian, considering it's never been done before in NFL history.
Just making the point that he hasn't done anything worthwhile on his own.
Quote:
How the fuck else are we supposed to judge him? You wanted to judge him based on one single game. I'm judging him based on his entire career at this point. No, we can't look into a crystal ball and see how he'll do in future years, but in 2 seasons he's already within 2 of the career kickoff TD record and within 4 of the career punt TD record. I'm sorry, but that's damn impressive whether you like it or not.
It is impressive, but I'd say reserve judgment on him until we see how he is as an overall football player. I wonder what Brian Mitchell or Daunte Hall or Joshua Cribbs would do in his position with the same 10 guys blocking for him.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:20 PM   #245
Raiders Army
Coordinator

dola, larrymcg, you can just crown his ass.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:38 PM   #246
korme
Go Reds

Josh Cribbs is a beast I can't deny it
Old 12-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #247
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Wow, announcer just said something so stupid in the Jax-Texans game I don;t even want to repeat.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #248
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

It was when Quinn Gray threw the fourth TD on the day on 3rd and Goal from the 17. Worst announcer ever.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:53 PM   #249
korme
Go Reds

TJ drops a catch on 3rd and 1 that would have put him #1 this season in receptions, instead he's going to end TIED with Welker at 112
Old 12-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #250
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
And the Browns fans were booing him. Ummm, the only reason you are good this season is because of Anderson.

It's not all on Anderson. The OL has played great. I still hope the Browns will consider trading Anderson in the offseason.