Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-25-2007, 05:41 PM   #201
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Rumor circulating that the 360 Core system may drop to $249 on August 8th to make it competitive with the Wii.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16920
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:43 PM   #202
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Rumor circulating that the 360 Core system may drop to $249 on August 8th to make it competitive with the Wii.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16920

Other sites are saying that it may be all 3 models that drop 50 dollars. Conflicting reports on the details of which/all models it will apply to.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:44 PM   #203
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

The timing of a week before Madden releases makes a lot of sense.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #204
MJ4H
Coordinator

dude smb 2 isnt even really smb. i mean i have it, but it sucks.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:54 PM   #205
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
dude smb 2 isnt even really smb. i mean i have it, but it sucks.

SMB2 wasn't even supposed to be SMB2. They just decided to put Mario and Luigi in and slap SMB on it.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:57 PM   #206
astrosfan64
College Prospect

I'm actually a PC gamer. I only have a console for sports titles and now that I have a five year old girl other console games.

"real" gamers play PC games.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:57 PM   #207
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
SMB2 wasn't even supposed to be SMB2. They just decided to put Mario and Luigi in and slap SMB on it.

thats what im talking about
Old 07-25-2007, 05:58 PM   #208
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
I'm actually a PC gamer. I only have a console for sports titles and now that I have a five year old girl other console games.

"real" gamers play PC games.

I think pretty much all of us here are PC gamers, based on the subject of the forum??
Old 07-25-2007, 06:16 PM   #209
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Sorta. In Japan, the game was Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic. In Japan, a different game was SMB2, much like the original SMB. Instead of porting the Japanese SMB2 to the US, they ported the Yume game and replaced the characters with Mario et al

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:07 PM   #210
MikeVic
Head Coach

I liked SMB2. It was so different.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:45 PM   #211
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
I've played twilight princess with both the Wii controls, and a gamecube. It most definitely IS better on the Wii.

You may be right that 60 year old parents aren't going to buy a lot of games, but what console do you think little Jimmy is going to get when xmas rolls around?

You need to get out of your basement more. Plenty of us are real gamers, and love the Wii. Frankly, the 360/Ps3 are just the same shitty rehash of the previous systems, with faster processors. Atleast the Wii had the balls to try something different.

You're right, my 11 year old daughter wants a Wii... I wouldn't even think of getting one for myself. I mean, I could boot up my commodore 64 and get the same graphics.

The 360 a shitty rehash of a previous system? How much pot do you smoke in a day? The 360 is much better than the original Xbox, which btw was a great gaming system. Big deal you get to wave a controller around as you play simplistick games. I've read games like Tiger Woods, which should be a perfect fit for the Wii are terrible.

With all that said, I've got nothing against Nintendo, hell.. the NES was one hell of a console, but cut the bs - it's doesn't even compare to the ps3 or 360.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:48 PM   #212
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Wiitarded

That joke been done yet?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:49 PM   #213
Daimyo
College Starter

What's the big deal with graphics? Do you guys actually play games or just look at them? As far as I'm concerned the graphics on Twilight Princess and even Metroid Prime are about as good as I need... after that the returns diminish pretty rapidly IMO. Even at 480p the Wii looks pretty awesome on my hi-def projector.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:59 PM   #214
spleen1015
Coordinator

If I had to pick the graphics I had to play with for the rest of my life, I would go with the 16 bit era.

The more real to life the graphics get, the less I like them.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 07-25-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:10 PM   #215
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
gstelmack... trying to bring facts to the conversation? Its not two gamecubes. Its a totally different processor that has a gamecube emulator built in.

< sigh > No humor, no sarcasm in these discussions any more.

FWIW, the "2 Gamecubes stuck together" is a comment I've heard from others more experienced in it than I, and as a "quick" description. As you yourself pointed out, it's about twice as fast all around as an original Gamecube with twice the memory.

Really, I'm not trying to bash the Gamecube. They took old tech and made it salable. They did a good job hitting a market untapped by consoles. To the point that I may even get one. Just don't try to tell me how great or fast the hardware is. This is all about the controller and software.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:20 PM   #216
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
With all that said, I've got nothing against Nintendo, hell.. the NES was one hell of a console, but cut the bs - it's doesn't even compare to the ps3 or 360.
Sounds like watching 300 would be your ideal video game. The Wii is pure fun, and obviously, does not need the eye candy (though have you played Zelda? Wii games can be pretty if made right) to not just compare with, but dominate, the competition.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:38 PM   #217
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
You're right, my 11 year old daughter wants a Wii... I wouldn't even think of getting one for myself. I mean, I could boot up my commodore 64 and get the same graphics.

The 360 a shitty rehash of a previous system? How much pot do you smoke in a day? The 360 is much better than the original Xbox, which btw was a great gaming system. Big deal you get to wave a controller around as you play simplistick games. I've read games like Tiger Woods, which should be a perfect fit for the Wii are terrible.

Good for you for not wanting a Wii I guess. It is a fun console. And yeah, the NES doesn't compare against the PS3 or 360 at all. I don't think you really meant the Wii vs PS3/360, since it is currently dominating.

I don't have anything against any console this generation. Depending on Rock Band, and what mood I'm in... I might get a 360 in the winter. Don't see a reason for a PS3 just yet though.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:16 PM   #218
gstelmack
Pro Starter

FWIW, one reason I love my 360 is marketplace. Just bought Catan, plus I've got Time Pilot and a handful of other cool titles. Some good stuff on there for a fairly inexpensive price.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:20 PM   #219
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
What's the big deal with graphics? Do you guys actually play games or just look at them? As far as I'm concerned the graphics on Twilight Princess and even Metroid Prime are about as good as I need... after that the returns diminish pretty rapidly IMO. Even at 480p the Wii looks pretty awesome on my hi-def projector.

If I'm going to play a console, I want next gen type graphics, if not I'll go upstairs and play the ps2. Seriously, play APF, NHL 07, MLB 2k7, Obilvion, etc.. I just can't go back to non HD games. I'll play a text sim on my pc for a particular sport if there's not one available that's good.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:22 PM   #220
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6 View Post
Sounds like watching 300 would be your ideal video game. The Wii is pure fun, and obviously, does not need the eye candy (though have you played Zelda? Wii games can be pretty if made right) to not just compare with, but dominate, the competition.

I always say.. go where the games are. I'm not in to Zelda or Mario... if that's for you, you have the right console.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #221
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Good for you for not wanting a Wii I guess. It is a fun console. And yeah, the NES doesn't compare against the PS3 or 360 at all. I don't think you really meant the Wii vs PS3/360, since it is currently dominating.

I don't have anything against any console this generation. Depending on Rock Band, and what mood I'm in... I might get a 360 in the winter. Don't see a reason for a PS3 just yet though.

Dominating in sales? I really could care less. That doesn't mean squat to me. Since the 360 has been out for a bit, just look at the 2nd year of games.. there are some great ones out there.

I was being a bit sarcastic, but the Nintendo era has passed me by. Kids want one something fierce though.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:30 PM   #222
MJ4H
Coordinator

I thought it had passed me by, too. I missed 2 generations of great games with that mistake. I'm back with Nintendo for good, now.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:41 PM   #223
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, whatever makes you happy is the right console for you. I don't play much, and am more into interactive multiplayer games. Or fun quirky games.

I like the Wario Ware, Wii Sports, Mario Party, etc. type of games.

Dead Rising has been a game that I really want to play on the 360. It seems so fun.

I don't see anything on the PS3 yet that catches my eye, so it's in third to me.

I also have crappy TVs at home with normal stereo sound (and in my bedroom TV, mono sound). So graphics and sound obviously don't factor in for me. The DS and GBA are probably the gaming systems that I've used the most in the past few years, and that's because of convenience (in the can ).
Old 07-25-2007, 10:26 PM   #224
spleen1015
Coordinator

Todd, you'll have lots of fun with your family with Wii Sports.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:49 PM   #225
Izulde
Head Coach

The last non-handheld console that Nintendo made that really held my attention was SNES.

Gamecube was a bust for me personally and I've yet to see anything out for the Wii that really appeals to me.

PS2 and XBox were about equal for me in the last generation and in this current gen, though I have both the 360 and the PS3, the 360's been kicking ass and my PS3's been pretty much a glorified PS2 and DVD player to date.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:56 PM   #226
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Todd, you'll have lots of fun with your family with Wii Sports.

Gaming is "my" time.

Just kidding, I'm sure I'll get one for my daughter soon enough.

Since I don't have HD satellite TV yet, HD gaming takes its place.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:57 PM   #227
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The thing that scares me though is my daughter won a Gamecube and it was never played. We ended up selling it to a neighbor kid.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:18 PM   #228
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

Don't be hatin' on the C64.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:04 AM   #229
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
The thing that scares me though is my daughter won a Gamecube and it was never played. We ended up selling it to a neighbor kid.

If you mainly play console sports games, I can see why you wouldn't play them on the GC. There were a few very good games on the GC.

Metroid Prime was a kick ass game. Other than GTA, I think it was the best game of the current generation.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:36 AM   #230
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
FWIW, one reason I love my 360 is marketplace. Just bought Catan, plus I've got Time Pilot and a handful of other cool titles. Some good stuff on there for a fairly inexpensive price.

That's actually one of the reasons I love my PS3 as well. Lots of games for the system already available with quite a few more original games on the way, all in HD. Right now, I have......

Calling All Cars
Lemmings
flOw
Cash Guns Chaos
Tekken 5
Blast Factor
Super Stardust HD

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-26-2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:59 AM   #231
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
XBOX 360 = two big advantages XNA/XBOXLIVE and Halo 3 is coming. Though I personally can't stand shooters on consoles the pleebs love it.

As a gaming snob, I do love this comment

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #232
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Don't be hatin' on the C64.

No hatin on the C64. Still probably my favorite computer. Heck, I ran a color 64 bbs for a few years.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:17 AM   #233
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
No hatin on the C64. Still probably my favorite computer. Heck, I ran a color 64 bbs for a few years.

****Geek detector explosion****

Old 07-26-2007, 08:20 AM   #234
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
****Geek detector explosion****

No way!

Started out on the Radio Shack TRS-80 Color Computer, then came the C64.

Where do you start? 4th and Inches, Hardball, F15 Strike Eagle, Lance Hafner text sims, The Bard's Tale, Wasteland... the list goes on!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 08:57 AM   #235
twothree
College Prospect

GameFAQs has been doing a poll each day this week asking if you own a specific console system. Over 90,000 votes each day on a 5 option poll with 2 of the choices being yes votes has yielded the approximated percentages for ownership of a specific console.

PS3 - 14.16%
Wii - 50.66%
XBOX360 -40.84%

And so far today, so the number isn't finalized, the DS has 66.52%.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:10 AM   #236
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree View Post
GameFAQs has been doing a poll each day this week asking if you own a specific console system. Over 90,000 votes each day on a 5 option poll with 2 of the choices being yes votes has yielded the approximated percentages for ownership of a specific console.

PS3 - 14.16%
Wii - 50.66%
XBOX360 -40.84%

And so far today, so the number isn't finalized, the DS has 66.52%.

So they created a poll to show that the people who surf that site have purchased the systems at nearly the exact same rate as the general public from a ratio perspective?

It's actually a shame that site has gone downhill so quickly. It used to be a great site for things like walkthroughs, tips, and cheat codes. I saw that the creator of that site is now leaving the site. I'm guessing he got tired of the relatively young crowd that frequents that site now.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-26-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #237
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
So they created a poll to show that the people who surf that site have purchased the systems at nearly the exact same rate as the general public from a ratio perspective?

It's actually a shame that site has gone downhill so quickly. It used to be a great site for things like walkthroughs, tips, and cheat codes. I saw that the creator of that site is now leaving the site. I'm guessing he got tired of the relatively young crowd that frequents that site now.

Yeah you can't go to the forums... you can tell everyone posting is really young. But it's still a good site for FAQs and stuff. Why has that changed in your eyes? I still think it has the info. there.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:40 AM   #238
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:

Yeah, their polls seemed designed to help advertisers. Once GameFAQs got bought by GameSpot/CNET, I think everyone knew the gamespot crowd would take over. However, there are still some boards for niche games that don't have the kiddy crowd. And the old FAQs are all still there, so it is still a useful site to me.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:50 AM   #239
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Yeah you can't go to the forums... you can tell everyone posting is really young. But it's still a good site for FAQs and stuff. Why has that changed in your eyes? I still think it has the info. there.

I think the best use of the site is for some of the games that are older. There are some great walkthroughs for games that are now in the bargain bin or on Gametap. The walkthroughs for the games released in the past 3-4 years or so aren't nearly as good as the ones done before that time.

I picked up a copy of the Space Quest Collection for $3 the other day. Went right to GameFAQs and got all the walkthroughs to help out. Lots of fun.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:51 AM   #240
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
No way!

Started out on the Radio Shack TRS-80 Color Computer, then came the C64.

Where do you start? 4th and Inches, Hardball, F15 Strike Eagle, Lance Hafner text sims, The Bard's Tale, Wasteland... the list goes on!!!

I'm right there with you.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:11 AM   #241
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting numbers here from the financial reports. These are the worldwide units sold numbers from the recently released quarterly reports by Sony.

Q3 06 1.66 Million
Q4 06 1.91 Million
Q1 07 .71 Million

Total sales: 4.28 million for the LTD sales ending June 30th, 2007.

A few points:

---This is well above the estimate provided on what most people know are the unreliable numbers posted by vgchartz.com. They were listing the PS3 as selling 3.9M units as of now. If you include the rough sales estimates for July (reported increase in sales of 135%), it's pretty likely that the PS3 has sold around 4.4M-4.5M units at this point.

---For comparison's sake, the 360 had sold around 5M units by the end of August 2006. The PS3 is likely going to come in around 4.8M units for the same time period. So, pretty comparable sales for the same time periods. PS3 will come in with slightly less, but not a significant difference overall. Interesting that the sales were similar despite the much higher price point on the PS3. We'll have to see how the price drop affects the overall trend.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #242
wade moore
lolzcat

But the difference is wasn't the 360 still having supply issues in August 2006?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:16 AM   #243
Bee
Pro Starter

Why are the Q1 07 numbers so bad compared to the 06 numbers?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #244
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
But the difference is wasn't the 360 still having supply issues in August 2006?

Sony said they were having supply problems until a couple of months ago.

Some would argue that MS is having supply problems right now. Everyone that wants a 360 wants to buy an Elite. The problem is that there are none in stock. Meanwhile, premium and core 360's aren't selling well at all.

We could do 'yea, but' all day long on this. I just posted it because it's the first solid numbers that we've seen in awhile. Generally speaking, both systems have sold a similar amount of consoles over the same period in time of their lifecycles. The question now becomes whether Sony can exceed the 5M or so units that the 360 sold in one year after those 1st 5M were sold. Selling 5M over the next year won't cut into the 360's lead.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #245
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I still think the 360 is down on sales over the last 2-3 weeks because the rumor of a pricecut has them holding off waiting for it.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:24 AM   #246
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Why are the Q1 07 numbers so bad compared to the 06 numbers?

That's always a dead period for both games and consoles. Gaming companies have their fiscal year start at the end of March for that reason. The slow sales are at the start of the year, followed by a build up of game and console sales starting now through the holidays and finishing with sales from gift cards and gift money early at the start of the calendar year. By starting the fiscal year at the end of March, the bad times come early, while the upswing in financial strength is late in the year. Also, that allows them to count all of the console sales from the holiday season that bleed into January as sales for that given fiscal year.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-26-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:26 AM   #247
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Interesting numbers here from the financial reports. These are the worldwide units sold numbers from the recently released quarterly reports by Sony.

Q3 06 1.66 Million
Q4 06 1.91 Million
Q1 07 .71 Million

Total sales: 4.28 million for the LTD sales ending June 30th, 2007.

A few points:

---This is well above the estimate provided on what most people know are the unreliable numbers posted by vgchartz.com.

Of course, Sony has no reason to be overestimating their sales..
Old 07-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #248
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's always a dead period for both games and consoles. Gaming companies have their fiscal year start at the end of March for that reason. The slow sales are at the start of the year, followed by a build up of game and console sales starting now through the holidays and finishing with sales from gift cards and gift money early at the start of the calendar year. By starting the fiscal year at the end of March, the bad times come early, while the upswing in financial strength is late in the year. Also, that allows them to count all of the console sales from the holiday season that bleed into January as sales for that given fiscal year.

I knew it would be slower at that time, but I never imagined it would be that drastic of a difference.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:32 AM   #249
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Of course, Sony has no reason to be overestimating their sales..

There's been a jump in sales on the PS3. There's no question about that. We can bicker a few percent here or there, but it's not unreasonable at all to suggest a significant jump in the range of 100% (double) right now. Every report that I've seen from retailers seems to indicate that Sony's sales jump numbers are pretty accurate.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:33 AM   #250
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There's been a jump in sales on the PS3. There's no question about that. We can bicker a few percent here or there, but it's not unreasonable at all to suggest a significant jump in the range of 100% (double) right now. Every report that I've seen from retailers seems to indicate that Sony's sales jump numbers are pretty accurate.

I'm not arguing that. However, there is nothing that magically makes Sony's numbers any more accurate than VG's, yet you were implying there was.