Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-27-2006, 05:52 PM   #201
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
So the Red Sox are going to sign JD Drew and trade Manny. Uhhh, that is an upgrade?

Definitely not an upgrade, but I think the Red Sox are looking for more financial flexibility after post $51 million for Matsuzaka and they still have to work out a contract with him.

They have some really bad contracts and word is they're talking to the Giants (which would effectively end Bonds' time as a Giant if they make that deal). The Giants don't have much in terms of prospects to offer so the tradeoff would be the Giants also taking Clement's contract on as well. The other rumor is Manny going to the Dodgers (veteran hitter on the market you better believe Colletti will be all over him and dangle prospects to get him).
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:09 PM   #202
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywisesb View Post
Now he'll be in a very pitcher friendly ballpark for half of his starts though, so I see this as a very nice deal for the Dodgers. If he's healthy, I can see him as a 15 game winner with around a 4 ERA....

Is Dodger stadium still a pitcher's park after they reduced the amount of foul ground a couple years ago?
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:14 PM   #203
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
According to SI.com, the Dodgers and Randy Wolf have agreed to a one-year, $8 million contract.

A $9 million option for 2008 is also believed to be included. Wolf probably could have gotten $20 million over three years elsewhere, but he preferred to head home to Southern California and maybe try the market again in a year. It's a nice signing for the Dodgers.

Good signing. I have always been a big Wolf fan and think Philly will miss him. He may not become what it looked like he would a few years ago, but he's above-average.

To counteract the bad signing of Pierre was last week, this is a good start. Wolf at Dodger Stadium should play well and with one year and an option, minimal risk. Especially next to Eaton's contract, this looks like a bargain and will continue to do throughout the offseason.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:48 PM   #204
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure this won't be the most popular post in the thread but I found this trade over the weekend a little interesting:

Quote:
PHOENIX -- The Milwaukee Brewers acquired catcher Johnny Estrada from the Arizona Diamondbacks for left-hander Doug Davis in a six-player deal between the teams on Saturday.

Right-handers Greg Aquino and Claudio Vargas also went to Milwaukee, while the Diamondbacks obtained a pair of youngsters, left-hander Dana Eveland and outfielder Dave Krynzel.

I don't know much about Eveland except that he's an ok lefty prospect or Krynzel other than that he used to be a highly rated prospect and haven't heard much from him of late but Milwaukee seems to have acquired three regulars for Doug Davis. Estrada's not great but he's a pretty good starting catcher, Aquino has flirted with that closer's spot for a bit in Arizona and is a decent bullpen arm, and Vargas is a slightly below average righty SP.

That's just the type of deal which should fill some holes for a young team looking to move forward after a disappointing step back in 2006. If they could snag a stud pitcher to go along with Sheets and something, anything, to put in the outfield to replace Lee and keep someone like Brady Clark or an aging Geoff Jenkins from getting too many at bats, this would be everyone's favorite dark horse for 2007. However, lots of teams have similar designs and I'm not sure the Brewers have the stomach for this type of market.

SI

Old 11-27-2006, 06:54 PM   #205
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I think the Pads are in the same boat as the Phillies - waiting for a sane contract instead of over-paying. The Pads finally got rid of the $10 million albatrosses in Nevin/Park and Klesko and have some money to spend. But they don't want to be saddled with long-term $10 million contracts of mediocre players as they had been.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:26 PM   #206
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I take back saying the Pads are in the same boat as the Phils. The Phils have gone ape-shit like a few other teams.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:30 PM   #207
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
So the Red Sox are going to sign JD Drew and trade Manny. Uhhh, that is an upgrade?
Not in isolation, but you can't consider this in isolation. There's WMP to find at-bats for -- they really can't afford to have both him and Manny in the outfield at the same time -- plus whatever they're getting back for Manny in other positions.

Now, I can't say that I'm sold on Drew plus WMP for Trot plus Manny, but I can at least see where it's coming from.

What would be really interesting to see is whether they would go unconventional and put WMP in center (where, from what I've seen, metrics have him being about average defensively) and Crisp in left (where, from what I've seen, metrics have him being way above average defensively whereas he's below average in center).

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:37 PM   #208
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm sure this won't be the most popular post in the thread but I found this trade over the weekend a little interesting:

I don't know much about Eveland except that he's an ok lefty prospect or Krynzel other than that he used to be a highly rated prospect and haven't heard much from him of late but Milwaukee seems to have acquired three regulars for Doug Davis. Estrada's not great but he's a pretty good starting catcher, Aquino has flirted with that closer's spot for a bit in Arizona and is a decent bullpen arm, and Vargas is a slightly below average righty SP.
Vargas is a bullpen killer. He barely gets 5 innings a start and allowed 27 HR. He was Arizona's 4th starter and drove fans out here crazy. One day he would go 8 innings with 2 ER. Then, he would have 3 straight starts where he didn't make the 5th inning. Aquino used to be a touted prospect, but he's now 28 and still struggles with control and has just one pitch. If you consider both those guys starters, that's a pretty low bar.

I see the deal as a nice 3/4 starter for a nice starting catcher. Vargas and Eveland (who averaged over 1K per inning in AAA as a lefty starter) could both be #5s, but neither are much at this point. Seems like a decent deal for both teams as Arizona was stocked at catcher and righty reliever and Milwaukee had some extra starting pitching arms. I would give the DBacks the edge as a decent lefty starter is a much more valuable commodity than an above average catcher.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:05 PM   #209
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, that insight into Vargas is the problem with the birds eye view that most of us have. Thanks for chiming in, Arles.

Either way, it looks like a win-win for both teams, provided past performance is indicative of future results.

SI

Old 11-28-2006, 01:23 AM   #210
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Vargas is a bullpen killer. He barely gets 5 innings a start and allowed 27 HR. He was Arizona's 4th starter and drove fans out here crazy. One day he would go 8 innings with 2 ER. Then, he would have 3 straight starts where he didn't make the 5th inning. Aquino used to be a touted prospect, but he's now 28 and still struggles with control and has just one pitch. If you consider both those guys starters, that's a pretty low bar.

I see the deal as a nice 3/4 starter for a nice starting catcher. Vargas and Eveland (who averaged over 1K per inning in AAA as a lefty starter) could both be #5s, but neither are much at this point. Seems like a decent deal for both teams as Arizona was stocked at catcher and righty reliever and Milwaukee had some extra starting pitching arms. I would give the DBacks the edge as a decent lefty starter is a much more valuable commodity than an above average catcher.

Estrada is not an above-average catcher - Bank One just made him look like one last year. The BOB tied Coors Field for the best hitters park in the NL last season. This deal hinges on Davis, and it's pretty low risk for Arizona. If he can bounce back, then it's a nice pickup for the Snakes. If not, they didn't really give up anything to get him.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 11-28-2006 at 01:24 AM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:04 AM   #211
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
At the same money, I'd rather have Wolf than Eaton.

Oh good God yes. But I think Wolf wanted to be near home, so we weren't going to get him anyway. I may be crazy in saying this, but I've viewed Wolf as a Poor Man's Chris Carpenter. I think he could put it all together post-surgery and have an 18 win season. Unfortunately, if he does, it won't be with the Phillies.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:09 PM   #212
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I heard on sportsradio this morning the Cubs offered Schmidt a 3 year/$45 million dollar contract.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:29 PM   #213
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
I heard on sportsradio this morning the Cubs offered Schmidt a 3 year/$45 million dollar contract.

I don't think that will be enough to get him away from the west coast. Seattle is reportedly prepared to offer something in the ballpark of 4 years and $60 mil.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:53 PM   #214
oykib
College Starter

The Yanks just secured the rights to Igawa from the Hanshin Tigers, my local team, for $25 million. He's almost certainly the best lefthander in Japan. He led the Central League in strikeouts last year-- his third title.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:55 PM   #215
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib View Post
The Yanks just secured the rights to Igawa from the Hanshin Tigers, my local team, for $25 million. He's almost certainly the best lefthander in Japan. He led the Central League in strikeouts last year-- his third title.

Read a scouting report earlier today that pegged him as an innings-eater, a 4/5 type who will give you 3rd starter type numbers every few outings. If I was committing that money to him, I would rather just double it and at least get the potential of the other Japanese guy.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:21 PM   #216
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I don't think that will be enough to get him away from the west coast. Seattle is reportedly prepared to offer something in the ballpark of 4 years and $60 mil.

Considering other deals out there, I would think this is an absolute bargain.

SI

Old 11-28-2006, 10:51 PM   #217
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'm torn on the Wolf signing. Certainly he gives us some rotation balance, but I hope signing him doesn't mean Maddux doesn't stay.

I'd make the time to go to probably six Dodger games next year if Maddux is pitching.

If he's not in a Dodger uniform, I wouldn't necessarily go to fewer games but I sure wouldn't bend over backwards to get the time off.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:34 AM   #218
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Read a scouting report earlier today that pegged him as an innings-eater, a 4/5 type who will give you 3rd starter type numbers every few outings. If I was committing that money to him, I would rather just double it and at least get the potential of the other Japanese guy.

I would disagree from having seen him a fair amount. I think he's a solid #3 with an upside of being a #2 in a good season. Those guys do very weel in the Bronx-- see Cheng-Ming Wang and Andy Pettiete.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:48 PM   #219
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...02glavine.html

Glavine says he's returning to Mets
Left-hander had been considering return to Braves

By DAVID O'BRIEN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 12/01/06

Tom Glavine's flirtation with the Braves is over and he's decided to return for a fifth season with the New York Mets, the veteran left-hander confirmed this afternoon to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

It's believed to be a one-year contract, though Glavine didn't get into details in a brief conversation. An announcement by the Mets was expected shortly.

Glavine is 10 wins shy of being the 23rd pitcher to reach 300, and had hoped to come back to Atlanta to get those 10 wins with the team he was with for his first 242 wins during 1987-2002.

But the Braves, with less need for a top starter and less money to spend for one, couldn't compete with the Mets' offer, believed to be worth at least $11 million.

Glavine notched five 20-win seasons won two Cy Young Awards with the Braves, and was also the 1995 World Series MVP.

After struggling for 2-1/2 seasons with the Mets, he revamped his approach and was 26-14 with a 3.22 ERA in his past 53 starts, including 2-1 with a 1.59 ERA in three during the 2007 postseason.

He was 15-7 with a 3.82 ERA and 198 innings pitched in 32 starts during the regular season.

The Mets told Glavine they'd wait while he explored returning to the Braves. He still lives in Alpharetta and desired to be home during the baseball season instead of flying his family to New York on weekends and visiting them on the Mets' days off.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:55 PM   #220
Ksyrup

From everything I've read, that Glavine article puts a nice face on what appeared to be a lack of interest (either because of money or tensions between the GM and Glavine) on the part of the Braves. He kept putting the Mets off, hoping for a decent offer so he could retire in Atlanta, but I don't think he even got an offer.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #221
JS19
College Prospect

Good to hear Glavine is staying with the Mets, especially if it's only a 1 yr deal. As Kysyrup pointed out, it was pretty obvious he wanted to return to Atlanta and I assumed he was as good as gone.

I remember reading an article that the Braves wouldn't offer a no trade clause, maybe thats why he didn't sign.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #222
Logan
Head Coach

I'm a Met fan, so anyone can view this in a "tooting their own horn" manner, but give the Mets a lot of credit for how they handled this situation. They knew Glavine wanted to go back to Atlanta so they didn't stand in his way. They could've picked up his option, but instead bought him out for $3 million. Then they didn't offer him arbitration so it wouldn't cost Atlanta anything but money to get him back. And then when it didn't work out, they brought him back to make the total with the buyout to be the same as the original option.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:58 PM   #223
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Supposedly now the Cubs are hot after Ted Lilly, offering him around $9mill a year...
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #224
Atocep
Coordinator

Peter Gammons reported that the Giants offered Carlos Lee $113 million and are trying to come up with something to get Manny now. Apparently they'll go back to Bonds as a last resort and hope that no arbitration along with no interest from other teams drives his price down.

He also reported that Mike Hampton told the Atlanta front office he was willing to rework his deal to get Glavine in Atlanta and the front office never got back to him about it and never made an offer to Glavine.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:28 AM   #225
Ksyrup

That's what I assumed happened with Glavine and Atlanta. Again, I think the articles about his re-signing with the Mets were written to allow him to save face, when it was apparent he wanted to win his 300th game in Atlanta but they didn't want him.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:29 AM   #226
Ksyrup

I can't wait to hear Bonds' version of Conseco's "I've been blackballed!" whining.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #227
Fouts
College Starter

Looks like the Giants have signed Benji Molina, and brought back Pedro Feliz and Rich Aurilia. Not sure how the Giants are going to be an improved team next year, especially without Schmidt.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:15 PM   #228
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Why the hell are they signing every goddamn old fart they can find? Molina ? Feliz? Why not bring back Matt Williams?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:18 PM   #229
Bad-example
College Starter

Feliz is a very good defender at 3B but fairly clueless at the plate. I wouldn't mind him coming back as a utility player but if the plan is to give him another 500+ at bats...well, I am less than thrilled.

Aurilia is going to be the Giants 1B? I like his versatility and also think he would be fine as a utility player, but at 1B it is hard to see him being worth 8M/2years.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:12 PM   #230
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Is Dodger stadium still a pitcher's park after they reduced the amount of foul ground a couple years ago?

Yes-but.

It is, and probably always will be because the air sort of kills fly balls; in other words, the reduced foul ground gives hitters a lot of extra chances, but it's not a triples/homers ballpark to begin with. You'll see more singles, more doubles (possibly), and a minor increase in offense associated with the two, but Manny probably wouldn't be a 45-140 guy if LA got him.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:30 PM   #231
Fouts
College Starter

Wow, Padres reportedly close to a 1 year, 10M dollar contract with Greg Maddux.

JD Drew signs 5yr, $70M deal with Red Sox (bye Manny?). Mets might get Zito.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:53 PM   #232
Galaril
Pro Starter

Red sox just signed SS Julio Lugo according to ESPN.

Last edited by Galaril : 12-05-2006 at 08:53 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:53 PM   #233
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts View Post
Wow, Padres reportedly close to a 1 year, 10M dollar contract with Greg Maddux.

JD Drew signs 5yr, $70M deal with Red Sox (bye Manny?). Mets might get Zito.

Maddux: what I hear is 1 year, $6m + incentives based on # of innings pitched.

Drew: I still have no idea if the Dodgers are entitled to a draft pick since he was a Type A free agent. Did we have to offer him arbitration because he voided the contract? No? I'm so confused.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #234
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Red sox just signed SS Julio Lugo according to ESPN.

And amazingly, Lugo was ALSO a Type A free agent, so we get two draft picks for HIS signing. A first-round sandwich pick, and probably their first rounder since the only other Type A they've signed so far is Drew (which means we'd get the 1st either way. Either we get it for Drew, or for Lugo, unless they sign another, more significant, Type A between now and the end of the free agent period).
Old 12-05-2006, 09:57 PM   #235
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I'm pretty sure there was language in Drew's contact where he could void the contract and the Dodgers could not offer him arbitration.

Wouldn't doubt it a bit.

But if that's the case, I have to wonder why he'd even be classified as a Type A or Type B free agent, since such classification is solely for compensation for the team losing said free agent.

Unless they couldn't offer him arbitration but ARE entitled to compensation for his loss.

As I said, I'm so confused.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:22 PM   #236
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

They couldn't offer arb to Drew as part of his contract - either way, they got the draft picks for Lugo.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:47 PM   #237
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
They couldn't offer arb to Drew as part of his contract - either way, they got the draft picks for Lugo.

stevew was saying earlier to me that if Drew had signed before the arbitration deadline, LA would have gotten compensatory picks for him, as well, and that's why he was classified as a Type A free agent despite his status.

Still fuckin' weird.

Also, I just realized earlier that Dave Roberts is a Type A free agent.

Did the Padres offer him arbitration?
Old 12-06-2006, 12:07 AM   #238
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
stevew was saying earlier to me that if Drew had signed before the arbitration deadline, LA would have gotten compensatory picks for him, as well, and that's why he was classified as a Type A free agent despite his status.

Still fuckin' weird.

Also, I just realized earlier that Dave Roberts is a Type A free agent.

Did the Padres offer him arbitration?

Yeah, the Pads get the Giants 2nd round pick (because the 1st isn't eligible since its top half). If you sign an arb player before the deadline, you give up the pick no matter what - that's part of the reason Boston waited.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:11 AM   #239
SackAttack
Head Coach

I thought the 1st rounders weren't eligible if it was 1-10, not 1-15.

Did that change with the recent CBA?
Old 12-06-2006, 12:44 AM   #240
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Braves signed Tanyon Sturtz...

Is Arthur Blank still interested in buying the team?

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:03 AM   #241
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Why?!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2687857

Quote:

The New York Mets have agreed to a deal with the Kansas City Royals that will send right-handed starter Brian Bannister to Kansas City for right-handed reliever Ambiorix Burgos, ESPN's Steve Phillips reports.

Bannister, 25, was 2-1 with a 4.26 ERA in eight appearances (six starts) last season. Burgos, 22, recorded 18 saves in 68 appearances, striking out 72 in 73 1/3 innings.
The deal is expected to be announced on Wednesday.

I don't like this deal at all... I'd much rather have Bannister at this point than Burgos.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:04 AM   #242
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I thought the 1st rounders weren't eligible if it was 1-10, not 1-15.

Did that change with the recent CBA?

Nope - it was always "top half of the draft", as it were.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:23 AM   #243
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Why?!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2687857

I don't like this deal at all... I'd much rather have Bannister at this point than Burgos.

Yea I don't really understand this deal. Don't know much about this Burgos guy so maybe he has a lot of potential and can help fill the bullpen needs, but why get rid of Bannister who looks as if he can be an end of the rotation guy who can hold his own?
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:49 AM   #244
Ksyrup

Burgos has much more upside, although he might not find it for a year or three.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:53 AM   #245
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Perhaps, but the Mets have shown they desperately need some starters (in addition to an ace!!). Bannister did ok in the role this past season.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #246
Ksyrup

SI.com is reporting that the Mets are going to be talking to the A's about Rich Harden. I find that hard to believe. I've heard Joe Blanton's name come up, but not Harden.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-06-2006 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #247
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Yea I don't really understand this deal. Don't know much about this Burgos guy so maybe he has a lot of potential and can help fill the bullpen needs, but why get rid of Bannister who looks as if he can be an end of the rotation guy who can hold his own?

This was a smart deal by the mets. They picked up a promising, young reliever for a pitcher that is already nearing his peak and who's peripherals suggest he should have had an ERA over 5 last year.

Burgos has very good upside as a middle reliever/setup man. Bannister actually hasn't proven much at all. He pitched 38 innings, walked 22, and struck out only 19. That 4.26 ERA was a fluke and he'll eventually fall back to being the 4A pitcher he's been projected to be.

One thing Minaya deserves credit for is building a bullpen. He recognizes the importance of not only having a reliable bullpen, but also the importance of not spending to get one.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #248
Ksyrup

Looks like the Dodgers will sign Jason Schmidt. Nice job - he's got better stuff than Zito and the contract will likely be 2 or 3 years less (not to mention about half the money).
Old 12-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #249
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Looks like the Dodgers will sign Jason Schmidt. Nice job - he's got better stuff than Zito and the contract will likely be 2 or 3 years less (not to mention about half the money).

I hate Ned Colleti. Why couldn't he tend towards his usual incompetence?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #250
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
I hate Ned Colleti. Why couldn't he tend towards his usual incompetence?

He signs Juan Pierre, you celebrate. He signs Jason Schmidt, you hate him.

That doesn't sound like 'incompetence' to me. That sounds like 'inscrutability.'