Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-28-2006, 06:11 PM   #201
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Sullivan
Just to be clear, it will prompt you when you upgrade your existing associations if you want to apply this feature, so you are not dead in the water.

Good deal.

As for the keys talking about keyboard shortcuts, I guess I understand. I never use them though, in most games, so no big deal to me.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:15 PM   #202
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I am not buying any more games that do not have keyboard shortcuts. Ever. I love EHM, but I can't play it enough to get any value out of it, because of this.

Yeah, I have to wonder why someone would fail to include them. But this is not a dealbreaker for me and as I said, I am enjoying the game so far. At least the demo allows potential buyers to test things out for themselves.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:34 PM   #203
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
The patch with next/previous buttons is already out. (1.1)

Where is the patch? I've cruised around a bit on Matrix, but can't find it.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #204
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
Where is the patch? I've cruised around a bit on Matrix, but can't find it.

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/downloads.asp?gid=329
Old 05-28-2006, 07:19 PM   #205
path12
Coordinator

BTW, downloaded the 1.1 patch and my game seems MUCH stabler. Been playing the hell out of it all day. The first baseball sim I've really enjoyed.

I just thought I'd follow up since my earlier posts were sort of negative/frustrated. Back to free agency now......
Old 05-28-2006, 10:07 PM   #206
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

That's good to hear path12. Shaun is doing a heck of a job since release.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:35 PM   #207
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
That's good to hear path12. Shaun is doing a heck of a job since release.

I agree, can't wait to see how the patch works with the Deadball era issues.....The more I play this game, the more I am thinking this might be the first version of OOTP I don't get.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:12 AM   #208
TroyF
Coordinator

Just an FYI for sim speed geeks.

I started a sim in 2006 at 9 AM this morning. Let it go until I returned from Dinner at around 5:30.

It had just finished 2018.

I'm going to play around with the new patch, but then I plan on starting a career in 1900 with fictional players and sim through 2006 while I'm at work for a couple of weeks.

I'll be getting OOTP, so it'll be interesting to see the differences between that game and this one. If I had to make a prediction now, I'd say PureSim will win this one going away.

The only thing I really want to see more of in PureSim is the stats. A more robust statistical tracker and I'm playing this the rest of the Summer.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:54 AM   #209
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14
I agree, can't wait to see how the patch works with the Deadball era issues.....The more I play this game, the more I am thinking this might be the first version of OOTP I don't get.

My hitting has died and my pitchers are blowing since I got the beta patch 1.11.

Not saying it's because of the patch, I'm just upset about my team going on a losing streak and falling out of first place.

Last edited by Cringer : 05-29-2006 at 06:54 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:54 AM   #210
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
My hitting has died and my pitchers are blowing since I got the beta patch 1.11.

Not saying it's because of the patch, I'm just upset about my team going on a losing streak and falling out of first place.

The curse of the patch!

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-29-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:03 AM   #211
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The curse of the patch!

Great, the game has curses. I guess I won't be trading away rookie pitcher Babe Ruth anytime soon.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:08 AM   #212
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
The only thing I really want to see more of in PureSim is the stats. A more robust statistical tracker and I'm playing this the rest of the Summer.

Have you posted your ideas for Shaun? He's always open to improving the game.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:29 AM   #213
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12
BTW, downloaded the 1.1 patch and my game seems MUCH stabler. Been playing the hell out of it all day. The first baseball sim I've really enjoyed.

I just thought I'd follow up since my earlier posts were sort of negative/frustrated. Back to free agency now......

Anyone else having trouble getting that download links to work?

Edit: Hmm at closer look those are ftp links. I thought both Mozilla and IE would handle ftp links. Off to retrieve them.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 05-29-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:57 AM   #214
BYU 14
Coordinator

Like what I am seeing from the Patch in terms of more Decisions and Complete games have doubled, but that is only from 5 or so leading the League, to 10, 11.

The main Reason I think is the Pinch hitting AI. Had a game yesterday I was watching where the visiting Team had a 1-0 lead, hitting in the top of the 7th inning with 1 out, nobody on and the AI Pinch hit for the Pitcher, who had thrown 50 pitches through 6 innings and had a 3 hitter going. I might be brave and play around with the XML file.....or just safe and blasphemous and install the DH in both Leagues to see if that makes a difference

Apart from this I am loving the game, the PSPN reports are awesome and the Almanac is superb!!

Last edited by BYU 14 : 05-29-2006 at 11:58 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:37 PM   #215
Johnny Slick
Mascot

Quote:
Has anybody simming the Deadball era had any luck with getting more complete games out of pitchers? I see no option to adjust that and wonder if there is even a way to effect it???
I have an XML that helps, but unfortunately the game will always pull pitchers in save situations whether they're tired or not. That being said, pitching leaders in my XML get up to 300 IP. While not the 360 IP levels of some deadball guys, that's pretty good if you ask me.
Johnny Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:40 PM   #216
Johnny Slick
Mascot

dola,

Didn't see the new patch (I've been working, okay??). Maybe now with the new patch my XML will be purrrrrfect.
Johnny Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:56 PM   #217
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Like what I am seeing from the Patch in terms of more Decisions and Complete games have doubled, but that is only from 5 or so leading the League, to 10, 11.

The main Reason I think is the Pinch hitting AI. Had a game yesterday I was watching where the visiting Team had a 1-0 lead, hitting in the top of the 7th inning with 1 out, nobody on and the AI Pinch hit for the Pitcher, who had thrown 50 pitches through 6 innings and had a 3 hitter going. I might be brave and play around with the XML file.....or just safe and blasphemous and install the DH in both Leagues to see if that makes a difference

Apart from this I am loving the game, the PSPN reports are awesome and the Almanac is superb!!

I agree that the pinch hitting AI may be the problem. I have adjusted the GM tendency to rarely pinch hit and still do not get enough CG's. Also might have to do with the hitting ratings of the pitchers. Back in the early 1900's, many pitchers were good hitters, but it isn't reflected when they are imported.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:51 PM   #218
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts
I agree that the pinch hitting AI may be the problem. I have adjusted the GM tendency to rarely pinch hit and still do not get enough CG's. Also might have to do with the hitting ratings of the pitchers. Back in the early 1900's, many pitchers were good hitters, but it isn't reflected when they are imported.

To add to the pitchers hitting abilities, when I drafted Babe Ruth his hitting ratings were like any other pitchers, crap. So I figured I would edit a player this one time just to bump up his ratings in that area.

They didn't stick though. He still has 9 contact, 10 power, and 13 eye...or something like that. Must be something going on there if the ratings wouldn't save.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:07 PM   #219
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley
Have you posted your ideas for Shaun? He's always open to improving the game.

I believe I have, though not in the Matrix forum.

I know Shaun is improving the game. (an already pretty solid effort IMHO) He's stated every pitch is tracked, so he'll be able to add more stats as he goes along. Well, sign me up. Give me stats, stats and more stats. I want to open up the almanac and lose myself in the history of the leauge. I want to see runs created, VORP, and the like for every player.

I look at the OOTP reports and just drool. If only the darned game could match the great statistical output.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:56 PM   #220
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Anybody else try to import a retrosheet schedule?

I started a association in 2005 and am tired of playing the same schedule over and over and tried to import the 2004 retrosheet schedule and it said it wasn't compatible with my current association.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:22 PM   #221
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Read this a little while ago.. sorry if it's been posted.

Quote:
Another beta patch with more fixes/tweaks/goodies. This is NOT an official patch, so it is provided with no guarantees.Note, you can install this over any version of PureSim 2007 with no problem.

http://www.psmultiplayer.150m.com/PureSim2007-SetupRelease-v112_Beta_Patch.exe

Here is the running list of changes since the original 1.1 official patch:

PS 2007 v1.12 (Beta) Patch Notes
================================

- Tweak: On PSPNCast the scoreboard and team info windows are always hidden when the graphical ball flight animation is playing. This can help with some ball park photos that don't match the layout of the one that ships with the game

- New: The AI now dynamically adjusts it's GM/Managerial tendencies based on the team's charateristoics

- Tweak: On the "Import Real Players" screen the previous default sort order was AB, now it is always alphabetical

- Speed: No longer doing unnecessary compact of the secondary (.psx) database in the off season. When association files got up over 1gb this was taking an exceedingly long time and providing little benefit. Basically after 50 or so years of history in larger associations, this would bring the off season to a crawl. Note, the primary (.psa) association file *is* still being compacted, and that is very important.

- New: Added SAC Bunt frequency managerial tendency

- New: Press ANY key during animated ball flight to skip the rest of the animation sequence.

- New: Added [x] Disable Ambient Sounds option to the PSPNCast "Play Options" dialog.

- Fix: Greatly reduced chance a runner will score when attempting to steal home.

- Fix: When managing a game, if the user clicked "OF Depth" as opposed to pressing the "O" key, instead of toggling the outfield depth PureSim would start the play. No click works just like pressing "O" works, it toggles through the outfield depth options with each click.

- Fix: SLG was wrong in some cases on the splits tab on the player card.

- Fix: Very Rare "Error 3022" When Building almanac, along with some additional robustness improvements in that area

- Fix: If the user viewed splits for a player, then clicked the "next" link to move to another player, then the splits would not be displayed for the next player if the user attempted to view them

- Fix: PSPNCast was sometimes showing the on field message in "red" when the play result was a base hit or home run.

- Fix: In some cases the tooltip for the fielders on the defensive team was showing their offensive ratings as opposed to their defensive ones

- New: Now have ability to have bullpens without closers. PureSim's AI is cognizant of this as well. This feature is setup when you start the association. It is typically used to better simulate eras in history where the closer was not employed in the pen. Note, as your association transitions into the modern era PureSim will prompt you to see if you'd like to transition to using the closer.

- Tweak: Multiple improvements to ball flight trajectories on PSPNCast

- Tweak: Added warning message that lets user know that they are using a non-standard ball park image, and that in-game ball flight animation will suffer horrible performance. Note, park images should be 1024x768

- Tweak: When playing in unattended auto play mode the "Please Wait" dialog has been moved down the screen and made more translucent so the standings are clearly visible at all times.

- Tweak: No longer allowing user to import a park photo unless it is a 1024x768 .jpg file

- Cosmetic: Alignement of "Hall of Fame Member" text on player card was off a bit

- New: Player Affinity mode - If you choose this option (only avil for historical / real players association) the following will happen:

1. Teams will be highly likely to try and keep their makeup similar to what it was in real life, so if a player's contract is expiring in 1957, but he actually played with that team through 1960 in real life, then there is a high probability the team will offer an extension, and a high probability he will accept.

2. There is a very high probability that teams will sign rookies based on when they appeared on that team in real life. The net result is if you are looking for career play that retains a lot of flavor from reality even as the career progresses, this is a fun option. Note it is not 100% as there are tons of other factors in the mix with finances, trading etc. Still that actually keeps it fun.

- Tweak: Starter endurance, usage and number of complete games is now more greatly influenced by the time period being simulated (e.g. you'll see more complete games back in the early years of Baseball)

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-31-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:02 AM   #222
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

mmmmm. drafted Matt Williams and Mark McGwire and Ellis Burks onto my '86 Red Sox.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:56 AM   #223
jbmagic
Pro Starter

New Info

Quote:
I'll post the next beta patch soon, but some real goodies are coming...

Here is a synopsis of the changes:

- BIG Tweak: Greatly improved time period specific pitcher usage, leading to more complete games, IP etc in eras where it was all about the starter. A lot of this revolved around an AI that was just too aggressive with the pinch hitter usage in the early years of baseball, where in fact this was VERY rare.

- BIG Tweak: No longer imposing restrictions on the number of pitchers a team must carry on the major league roster. The AI is also cognizant of this, and based on the time period it will carry an appropriate number of pitchers (e.g. in 1901 it may carry a total of 7 with 4 starters and no closer)

- BIG Tweak: Injury severity/healing duration variation greatly increased. You'll see a greater number of significant injuries and a wider range of severity in general

- Tweak: The pre-game lineup screen shows the players names color-coded based on their fatigue level

- Tweak: On PSPNCast the team info windows are always hidden when the graphical ball flight animation is playing. This can help with some ball park photos that don't match the layout of the one that ships with the game (note in a previous beta I was hiding the scoreboard as well, but decided to put that back...)

jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:07 PM   #224
aran
High School Varsity

For those who have played both this and OOTP, which do you prefer at this point?
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:14 PM   #225
HighandOutside
n00b

Is there an option to hide some of the player ratings? OOTP has this feature and, for me, it makes it a more realistic experience. After all, real GM's don't know that a player is rated a 10 for power.
HighandOutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #226
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran
For those who have played both this and OOTP, which do you prefer at this point?

I've been playing this as of late; especially with the latest beta releases.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 04:35 PM   #227
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighandOutside
Is there an option to hide some of the player ratings? OOTP has this feature and, for me, it makes it a more realistic experience. After all, real GM's don't know that a player is rated a 10 for power.

OOTP awaits you.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #228
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

IMHO, right now, PureSim is the better game. That said, I'm in the early stages of playing with OOTP and playing it a lot right now.

I think PureSims AI is better at this point, while OOTP has a much deeper, engrossing stats model. (I can literally get lost in a league history with OOTP) I just finished a 70+ year sim with OOTP and the results were very believable in terms of pure stats. PureSim has a great career arc, one of the best I've ever seen.

At this point, both games seem to be dedicated to improvement. This may be one of those that's to early to call. I'd love to revisit this post in about a month and a couple of patches for each game later.

I'd probably suggest downloading the demos of both and playing them now. See which one you like better.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:42 PM   #229
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I'd probably suggest downloading the demos of both and playing them now. See which one you like better.

They are both pretty damn good games. OOTP will be much better after a few patches, and Puresim is more into tweak mode right now on the patches. While they are both baseball games, they are very different. I see no reason not to get both.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:55 PM   #230
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
They are both pretty damn good games. OOTP will be much better after a few patches, and Puresim is more into tweak mode right now on the patches. While they are both baseball games, they are very different. I see no reason not to get both.

Damn you!

Bad credit card, get back in your home!! It's the weekends that get me wanting to spend my time exploring a new game. OOTP 6.5, Puresim, and now the urge to get OOTP 2006 is coming again.

It'll be nice to see what you OOTP 2006 players think after next weeks patch.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 06-02-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:32 PM   #231
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24

I'd have to agree with this. I've enjoyed both games for a few iterations. If I want to redo history with a twist, I play OOTP. If I want to actually take over a team, I tend to play PureSim, though I will play OOTP that way from time to time. Both games are definitely worth a buy.

When I get more time to play anything and I stop playing College Hoops (what can I say, I'm a former baller), I'll be giving both some time.

Edit: Is anyone able to get to the Matrix Games forums? Haven't been in awhile and I can't get to anything on their site.

Last edited by rjolley : 06-02-2006 at 11:34 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:41 PM   #232
aran
High School Varsity

Quote:
It'll be nice to see what you OOTP 2006 players think after next weeks patch.

Said patch may be the deciding factor for me. OOTPB just looks so much more professional and nice to use. The immersion factor seems to be damn high, too, which is one of my primary interests.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:42 PM   #233
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Let's say I want to create a fictional league of say, roughly 24 teams and fast sim 50 years or so of history. Everything is fictional, fictional logos, stadiums, players, etc.

Then I take over one of the teams and play out every individual game. Play as both a manager and a General Manager.

Which game would better suit me? Or is it too early to decide?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:44 PM   #234
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley
Edit: Is anyone able to get to the Matrix Games forums? Haven't been in awhile and I can't get to anything on their site.

Whew. Thought it was just me. I was hoping that latest Beta that Shaun was talking about was going to be posted already, but I keep timing out on my connection to the forum boards.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:08 AM   #235
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Said patch may be the deciding factor for me. OOTPB just looks so much more professional and nice to use. The immersion factor seems to be damn high, too, which is one of my primary interests.

I won't lie, I've been reading some good things about it as well.. which has my interest somewhat, but then I read about some big issues so... patch away and revisit.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:04 AM   #236
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

OOTP looks one hell of a lot prettier.

That said, as frustrating as I found the initial release of PureSim to be, it's one hell of a lot more bug-free than OOTP is.

So it's something of a trade-off.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:08 PM   #237
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Just a question from a guy who apperently is not a major baseball stat geek since I have to ask this question....

What stats do you guys feel are missing from PureSim? I have not noticed anything missing really, although some more lifetime stats would be nice, like lifetime lefty vs righty stuff and the like....

I ask because I always see guys saying PureSim lacks in stats.

Last edited by Cringer : 06-03-2006 at 07:09 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:53 PM   #238
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
OOTP looks one hell of a lot prettier.

That said, as frustrating as I found the initial release of PureSim to be, it's one hell of a lot more bug-free than OOTP is.

So it's something of a trade-off.

Text-based sports sims' "looks" are not of much concern. But, if by looks you mean UI usability that is another and in that case PS is Wayyyyyyyyyy ahead of OOTB.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #239
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Text-based sports sims' "looks" are not of much concern. But, if by looks you mean UI usability that is another and in that case PS is Wayyyyyyyyyy ahead of OOTB.

Ugh, well YMMV. I've always thought the UI was kinda clunky.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:02 PM   #240
aran
High School Varsity

I'm not concerned with the statistical depth of puresim at this point, because Shaun has made it clear that puresim logs every pitch's details. He could easily generate those stats, I'm sure, if he felt they were really necessary.

It looks like I'm going to be purchasing Puresim soon, but I'm definitely still considering picking up OOTPB later this summer.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:11 PM   #241
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

could we see VORP in PS?
Old 06-03-2006, 08:29 PM   #242
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
could we see VORP in PS?

Victim Offender Reconciliation Program?

Sorry, I actually did have to look it up though. I had to read the definition a couple times before it clicked what it was, but yeah sounds like a cool stat to have.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:18 PM   #243
aran
High School Varsity

After essentially simming through one season in the PureSim demo, I'm lukewarm about the game. Nothing really stands out, aside from the interface being relatively easy to get my head around. The statistical landscape the game generates is nowhere near as engrossing as I'd hoped it would be. Then again, some stuff may be turned off because I'm playing the demo.

The PSPNcast gameplay screen for individual games is nice, though the player cards don't update throughout the game. The layout is fairly clean with plenty of information readily availible.

I like the look-and-feel of the game being browser-like as it is. It feels very clean.

Seeing the stats update on the left hand side of the sim screen and seeing the records of the teams change as I sim through spans of time is cool. Reminds me of an old baseball game for the Genesis that I used to love.

I simulated a season using a 20 team association split into two leagues each containing two divisions of 5 teams each. I thought that the initial options for setting up the league were a slight bit more limited than I'd want, but they were good enough. Going through the teams and edit regions and stuff was annoying and more of a chore than I'd like it to be. I don't know if that's really worth complaining about, because there aren't a whole lot of ways it can be much improved.

Stat generation seemed reasonable. I didn't see any gaffes, but i didn't look particularly hard.

Player cards looked nice at first but viewing stats seemed partially disorganized and not as visually pleasing as I thought it would be. The columns aren't the same width--there's not enough whitespace in general to make it pleasing to the eye. That's just a minor complaint, though.

I'm going to download OOTPB's demo and give it a try tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:04 AM   #244
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
After essentially simming through one season in the PureSim demo, I'm lukewarm about the game. Nothing really stands out, aside from the interface being relatively easy to get my head around. The statistical landscape the game generates is nowhere near as engrossing as I'd hoped it would be. Then again, some stuff may be turned off because I'm playing the demo.

The PSPNcast gameplay screen for individual games is nice, though the player cards don't update throughout the game. The layout is fairly clean with plenty of information readily availible.

I like the look-and-feel of the game being browser-like as it is. It feels very clean.

Seeing the stats update on the left hand side of the sim screen and seeing the records of the teams change as I sim through spans of time is cool. Reminds me of an old baseball game for the Genesis that I used to love.

I simulated a season using a 20 team association split into two leagues each containing two divisions of 5 teams each. I thought that the initial options for setting up the league were a slight bit more limited than I'd want, but they were good enough. Going through the teams and edit regions and stuff was annoying and more of a chore than I'd like it to be. I don't know if that's really worth complaining about, because there aren't a whole lot of ways it can be much improved.

Stat generation seemed reasonable. I didn't see any gaffes, but i didn't look particularly hard.

Player cards looked nice at first but viewing stats seemed partially disorganized and not as visually pleasing as I thought it would be. The columns aren't the same width--there's not enough whitespace in general to make it pleasing to the eye. That's just a minor complaint, though.

I'm going to download OOTPB's demo and give it a try tomorrow.

Ah..... the OOTPB demo isn't out until June 7th Thurseday, I thought?
Old 06-04-2006, 12:12 AM   #245
aran
High School Varsity

In that case, I guess I won't be trying that demo.

(I haven't even tried to look for it yet.)
Old 06-04-2006, 01:57 PM   #246
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Another updated Beta Patch 1.14

Quote:
As always with BETA patches, use at you're own risk, this is not an official release yet, and given the amount of changes I have made with the injury modeling, you may want to mess around with a throwaway league at first. Not because it isn't stable -- it's rock solid. I just think we'll want to see what the PureSim community thinks of the new injury model and tweak appropriately before issuing an official patch.

http://www.psmultiplayer.150m.com/Pu...Beta_Patch.exe (27mb)

Here is the change log since the 1.10 official patch:
=================================

=== 1.14 Beta Changes ===

- Fix: If the pitcher was injured while batting in a game that the user was managing, then the game would correctly prompt to replace him, however no matter what the user did PureSim would not accept the replacement, so the user would be locked on the lineup dialog with no way out except terminating the game via end task or CTRL-ALT-DEL.

- New: Added "View Card" link to player almanac page, which allows the player card to be viewed from the player's almanac page.

- New: Added "Transactions" section to season almanac page

- BIG Tweak: Injury severity/healing duration variation greatly increased. You'll see a greater number of significant injuries and a wider range of severity in general. Estimated days until return is now more accurate as well. Note, if you play an injured guy they heal more slowly, players on the DL heal the fastest (even over players on the bench but not the DL)

- BIG Tweak: Injuries can now span seasons. For example, its possible for a player to get an injury that requires almost a full year to heal.

=== 1.13 beta changes ===

- BIG Tweak: Greatly improved time period specific pitcher usage, leading to more complete games, IP etc in eras where it was all about the starter. A lot of this revolved around an AI that was just too aggressive with the pinch hitter usage in the early years of baseball, where in fact this was VERY rare.

- BIG Tweak: No longer imposing restrictions on the number of pitchers a team must carry on the major league roster. The AI is also cognizant of this, and based on the time period it will carry an appropriate number of pitchers (e.g. in 1901 it may carry a total of 7 with 4 starters and no closer)

- Tweak: The pre-game lineup screen shows the players names color-coded based on their fatigue level

- Tweak: On PSPNCast the team info windows are always hidden when the graphical ball flight animation is playing. This can help with some ball park photos that don't match the layout of the one that ships with the game (note in a previous beta I was hiding the scoreboard as well, but decided to put that back...)

=== 1.12 beta changes ===

- New: The AI now dynamically adjusts it's GM/Managerial tendencies based on the team's charateristoics

- Tweak: On the "Import Real Players" screen the previous default sort order was AB, now it is always alphabetical

- Speed: No longer doing unnecessary compact of the secondary (.psx) database in the off season. When association files got up over 1gb this was taking an exceedingly long time and providing little benefit. Basically after 50 or so years of history in larger associations, this would bring the off season to a crawl. Note, the primary (.psa) association file *is* still being compacted, and that is very important.

- New: Added SAC Bunt frequency managerial tendency

- New: Press ANY key during animated ball flight to skip the rest of the animation sequence.

- New: Added [x] Disable Ambient Sounds option to the PSPNCast "Play Options" dialog.

- Fix: Greatly reduced chance a runner will score when attempting to steal home.

- Fix: When managing a game, if the user clicked "OF Depth" as opposed to pressing the "O" key, instead of toggling the outfield depth PureSim would start the play. No click works just like pressing "O" works, it toggles through the outfield depth options with each click.

- Fix: SLG was wrong in some cases on the splits tab on the player card.

- Fix: Very Rare "Error 3022" When Building almanac, along with some additional robustness improvements in that area

- Fix: If the user viewed splits for a player, then clicked the "next" link to move to another player, then the splits would not be displayed for the next player if the user attempted to view them

- Fix: PSPNCast was sometimes showing the on field message in "red" when the play result was a base hit or home run.

- Fix: In some cases the tooltip for the fielders on the defensive team was showing their offensive ratings as opposed to their defensive ones

- New: Now have ability to have bullpens without closers. PureSim's AI is cognizant of this as well. This feature is setup when you start the association. It is typically used to better simulate eras in history where the closer was not employed in the pen. Note, as your association transitions into the modern era PureSim will prompt you to see if you'd like to transition to using the closer.

- Tweak: Multiple improvements to ball flight trajectories on PSPNCast

- Tweak: Added warning message that lets user know that they are using a non-standard ball park image, and that in-game ball flight animation will suffer horrible performance. Note, park images should be 1024x768

- Tweak: When playing in unattended auto play mode the "Please Wait" dialog has been moved down the screen and made more translucent so the standings are clearly visible at all times.

- Tweak: No longer allowing user to import a park photo unless it is a 1024x768 .jpg file

- Cosmetic: Alignement of "Hall of Fame Member" text on player card was off a bit

- New: Player Affinity mode - If you choose this option (only avail for historical / real players association) the following will happen:

1. Teams will be highly likely to try and keep their makeup similar to what it was in real life, so if a player's contract is expiring in 1957, but he actually played with that team through 1960 in real life, then there is a high probability the team will offer an extension, and a high probability he will accept.

2. There is a very high probability that teams will sign rookies based on when they
appeared on that team in real life. For example I just played an association through the early 80's into the 90's and it was cool to see Griffey Junior show up on the M's and to see all the young talent come streaming into Cleveland as they went through that amazing build...

The net result is if you are looking for career play that retains a lot of flavor from reality even as the career progresses, this is a fun option. Note it is not 100% as there are tons of other issues in the mix with finances, trading etc. Still that actually keeps it fun.

- Tweak: Starter endurance, usage and number of complete games is now more greatly influenced by the time period being simulated (e.g. you'll see more complete games back in the early years of Baseball)
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #247
Cuckoo
College Starter

Has there been more than just one official patch? I applied that first official patch, but all the beta ones are confusing me...
Old 06-04-2006, 02:09 PM   #248
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Has there been more than just one official patch? I applied that first official patch, but all the beta ones are confusing me...

Just one official patch 1.10. The 1.14 patch that jbmagic is the current version with all fixes.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:20 PM   #249
Galaril
Pro Starter

I am surprised people are not lauding this more For me this is huge feature. Thanks Shaun:

Quote:
New: Player Affinity mode - If you choose this option (only avail for historical / real players association) the following will happen:

2. There is a very high probability that teams will sign rookies based on when they
appeared on that team in real life. For example I just played an association through the early 80's into the 90's and it was cool to see Griffey Junior show up on the M's and to see all the young talent come streaming into Cleveland as they went through that amazing build...

The net result is if you are looking for career play that retains a lot of flavor from reality even as the career progresses, this is a fun option. Note it is not 100% as there are tons of other issues in the mix with finances, trading etc. Still that actually keeps it fun.

Last edited by Galaril : 06-04-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:23 PM   #250
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
I am surprised people are not lauding this more For me this is huge feature. Thanks Shaun:

yes. i found this super-sweet.