Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2023, 07:03 PM   #24401
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

We've been using reusable bags for ages and it's not an issue. When unloaded, they live in a pile (well, all of them inside the biggest one) in the mud room, ready to be grabbed for the next shopping trip.

And I actually find because they can carry more than paper or plastic, you can actually bring more in, in a single trip, which of course is the goal of every dad everywhere.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:19 PM   #24402
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
It's coming everywhere so be ready for it. Once you get into a routine it really isn't any different. The bags are reusable so you just keep them in the car.

And then they come into the house ... and aren't in the car the next time.

I'd simply go 100% delivery at that point.

I f'n hate that shit nearly as much as I hate self-checkout. I mean, I hate it to the point of nearly being violent about it kinda hate it.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:21 PM   #24403
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
We've been using reusable bags for ages and it's not an issue. When unloaded, they live in a pile (well, all of them inside the biggest one) in the mud room, ready to be grabbed for the next shopping trip.

And I actually find because they can carry more than paper or plastic, you can actually bring more in, in a single trip, which of course is the goal of every dad everywhere.

Footnote to my other reply: kitchen is on a different floor than my garage, here the bags wouldn't be in the path for the next trip

And any hypothetical future place I can't imagine a configuration where that'd be true either honestly (I don't see me wanting to stash bags by the front door of a hypothetical condo)
Old 01-30-2023, 07:31 PM   #24404
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Papa John's bowls are really quite good, especially if you are trying to drop breading. I have gotten where I really don't care for their pizza, but I crave those bowls.

This post caused me to order from PJs tonight, first time in over a decade (and probably closer to two decades)

You better be right, that's all I'm sayin.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:52 PM   #24405
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I was randomly browsing reddit today and I came across a screen name of a former FOFC poster.

Please be 'jbmagic'.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:09 PM   #24406
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My verdict on the Papa John's bowl?

A bit skimpy but the flavors are good. Notably above average for the regular sausage specifically.

it's not a bad bargain really, not when you compare to their pizza pricing. ($8.75 was the UberEats price)

Paired with their version of cheese bread, I can make two meals outta this (definitely couldn't on the bowl alone though)

I wish it came with size options, it's a bit smallish for me (especially if I want to get two out of it). DEFINITELY recommend using all 7 of your toppings allowance, otherwise this would be pretty scant indeed.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:57 PM   #24407
Edward64
Head Coach

Reusable bags are in Asia and Australia. Most times you can pay for plastic bags if you want them.

I find it an annoyance but can live with it until they come up with some biodegradeable (like in 3 months) plastic bags.

But then again, there are plastic bottles, containers everywhere?

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-30-2023 at 09:00 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:53 PM   #24408
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And then they come into the house ... and aren't in the car the next time.

I'd simply go 100% delivery at that point.

I f'n hate that shit nearly as much as I hate self-checkout. I mean, I hate it to the point of nearly being violent about it kinda hate it.

After the first few times you get into a routine and it’s totally fine.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:05 PM   #24409
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I wish every place was 100% self-checkout. I can do it better, faster than any of them.

I don't mind the bags. We have a couple insulated bags in the cars for cold stuff during the summer.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:22 AM   #24410
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
After the first few times you get into a routine and it’s totally fine.

I've had how many years of Aldi experience to attempt that?

They ever pull that shit here (whether "here" is Georgia or eventually Florida) and it's liable to be the hill I die on, well armed and firing randomly
Old 01-31-2023, 05:17 AM   #24411
miami_fan
Coordinator

How will that work with grocery deliveries? I have not had anything delivered to the house but when I picked up groceries using curbside service it was in bags.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:55 AM   #24412
Kodos
Resident Alien

I find reusable bags are pretty convenient. Biggest problem is I sometimes forget to bring them with me into the store.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:20 AM   #24413
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
My verdict on the Papa John's bowl?

A bit skimpy but the flavors are good. Notably above average for the regular sausage specifically.

it's not a bad bargain really, not when you compare to their pizza pricing. ($8.75 was the UberEats price)

Paired with their version of cheese bread, I can make two meals outta this (definitely couldn't on the bowl alone though)

I wish it came with size options, it's a bit smallish for me (especially if I want to get two out of it). DEFINITELY recommend using all 7 of your toppings allowance, otherwise this would be pretty scant indeed.
That's a relief. After the threat in the initial post, I thought I was going to have to go into witness protection.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:25 AM   #24414
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
How will that work with grocery deliveries? I have not had anything delivered to the house but when I picked up groceries using curbside service it was in bags.

I think they use a cheap version of a reusable bag and charge you for them
Old 01-31-2023, 07:27 AM   #24415
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I wish every place was 100% self-checkout. I can do it better, faster than any of them.

I don't mind the bags. We have a couple insulated bags in the cars for cold stuff during the summer.

This is me. The less human interaction the better. I do my big shopping trip on Mondays so I use a cashier but everything else it is self checkout.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:36 AM   #24416
Edward64
Head Coach

I am okay with self-checkout for a few items but prefer the cashier & bagger if there's a lot of stuff. Usually a better user experience than at the self-checkout with that one person looking to make sure you aren't stealing anything.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:47 AM   #24417
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is me. The less human interaction the better. I do my big shopping trip on Mondays so I use a cashier but everything else it is self checkout.

I wish they had a couple of large areas for larger self-check because, yeah, I do a lot better job than they do, and faster, too. But you're a bit capped by how big the self check areas are - 3 bags or less at most places. And it amazes me how I can roll up with 25 items and have them bagged before someone with a tiny basket is done. Like this isn't rocket science - if you buy things more than a couple of times, you know where the barcode is. And then you put it in the bag that fits what you just scanned. The thing that actually slows me down is that I can't use two hands because then the weight thing thinks you're stealing stuff.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:49 AM   #24418
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

It differs by service. My Dad used Peapod, and they delivered in plastic bags. My wife uses Instacart at times, and it delivers in paper bags. It probably comes down to the store that fulfills the order.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:40 AM   #24419
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Today is my first day back in the office in almost three years.

Not a fan.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:06 AM   #24420
PilotMan
Head Coach

That's wild. I can't even imagine the shift you need to make.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:11 AM   #24421
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It's quite an adjustment. Last time I was in the office, my daughter was 7 months old. She's now three-and-a-half, so things have changed a lot and my wife (who also works) and I have done a good judge of covering for one another.

It's only three days a week (hopefully it'll be reduced further at some point), but it's not ideal.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-31-2023, 11:38 AM   #24422
MJ4H
Coordinator

It's cool to come back here and see a thread I started almost 13 years ago still on the front page.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:55 AM   #24423
cuervo72
Head Coach

(hey MJ4H)

So, I'm torn on this. I ordered Chinese food the other day and for whatever reason with my order they gave me this large non-disposable bag. Probably for advertising purposes, but still seems a curious choice. I decided to try it out today on a quick trip to the store on the way back from the dentist.

It was...okay. Everything fit in one bag, took a little bit of time for the kid to pack everything appropriately, but it did the job for a "small cart" run. Everything was maybe a little heavy for one bag and the handle is maybe a little too long so you have to make sure you're not dragging the bag. I could probably get used to it.

For "big cart" runs though...meh. I don't know about handling a bunch of these. Now, this is for someone who doesn't like to make a lot of trips from the car into the house -- with plastic bags, I will line them all up and down my arms (distributing the weight), they don't hang down, and I can get everything in one go. I have my system. Also, I can't imagine the cashier having to try to balance 4-5 canvas bags.

Now, the plastic bags themselves. On one hand, they annoy me because they pile up like nobody's business, leading me to tie them up and throw the ball into the garage, where I forget about ever taking them back to recycle (collection no longer takes them, gotta run them to the store) until I have like ten balls of them. On the other hand, they're good for cleaning the cat box.

(Growing up we had that one weird supermarket -- called the "Mad Grocer" -- where you packed your own stuff. Didn't give you bags, which were all paper then anyway, they had piles of boxes at the front of the store. So you'd take your stuff home in a Dole bananas box, another from Kellogs, another from Charmin, etc. It was interesting.)
Old 01-31-2023, 12:18 PM   #24424
Ksyrup

I've been doing 2 days in, 3 days home for over 10 years at 2 different employers. It's the best of both worlds, IMO. There are definitely times when I wanted/needed to be face-to-face and it's generally good to have those personal interactions with co-workers/bosses periodically anyway, but it also helps save on gas, sleep and productivity to not have a 2-hour round trip commute every day.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-31-2023, 12:28 PM   #24425
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I've been doing 2 days in, 3 days home for over 10 years at 2 different employers. It's the best of both worlds, IMO. There are definitely times when I wanted/needed to be face-to-face and it's generally good to have those personal interactions with co-workers/bosses periodically anyway, but it also helps save on gas, sleep and productivity to not have a 2-hour round trip commute every day.

I would gladly do 2 days in-office and 3 days at home. Three days in the office feels like a bit too much. We've proven we can do the work exceptionally well not being here at all. Happy to do 2, even though I am largely just here doing the exact same Teams Meetings I was doing from the comfort of my basement at home.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:48 PM   #24426
tarcone
Coordinator

Im kind of a believer in there is more out there reacting to our actions and thus this is out trail. Kind of like that movie with matt damon.

Anyway, I got Statis Pro Baseball when I was 12. Created 8 regional all star teams and started a 162 game season. This game is still with me after 43 years and am on game 156. Thinking about this, I realized that I have been through a ton of shit in my life and should be dead. So I have decided to finish this league and see if it changes my fate. Was it keeping me alive or taking me down a dark trail.

Im kind of nervous.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:00 PM   #24427
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I tend to nod along whenever anyone in my work/orbit insists that everyone is just as productive at home as they are in the office, but boy is that definitely not true for me.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:13 PM   #24428
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I tend to nod along whenever anyone in my work/orbit insists that everyone is just as productive at home as they are in the office, but boy is that definitely not true for me.

I'm a Data Analyst and I help out our Operations group for deeper studies when they need the help. According to the work measures and analysis that I've done, there are a few people that are less productive at home in my department. They are the exception though. 95+% of the workers are more productive and that's before accounting for decreased absenteeism and other less direct benefits.

I would never say the roughly 140 people measured is representative of the entire workforce in the US but for us there is a clear benefit. Of course, Management feels disconnected and is increasing required time in the office. Shockingly, absenteeism is suddenly a concern again.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:33 PM   #24429
cuervo72
Head Coach

"Disconnected." More like, "oh shit, these people can do pretty well w/o us."
Old 01-31-2023, 03:45 PM   #24430
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hate self checkout but I also hate small talk so it’s a toss up.

I just wish the platforms for self checkout were bigger. I do have Walmart+ so I guess I can scan as I put stuff in the cart, but of course I always forget my bags.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:27 PM   #24431
Ksyrup

Stores around here have added self checkouts with longer ramps for larger orders. Originally of course they just concentrated on 10 items or less-type orders.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:01 PM   #24432
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

On the other hand, they're good for cleaning the cat box.

And numerous other disposal tasks.

Which is why I'm firmly convinced that the entire absurd push for eliminating them is the work of the trash bag manufacturers, they stand to be the big beneficiary.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:15 PM   #24433
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
It's cool to come back here and see a thread I started almost 13 years ago still on the front page.

Welcome back. WPS, not enough Hog fans here

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-31-2023 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:20 PM   #24434
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Those aldis plastic bags are great for cat dumps
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:44 PM   #24435
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

I get a lot more work done at home in my office than in the cubicle hell I used to have to work in

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:57 PM   #24436
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I get a lot more work done at home in my office than in the cubicle hell I used to have to work in

SI

Man, I'd kill someone for a cubicle. I'm at a startup that got bought like 4 years before I even showed up, but we're still stuck in 'open plan' chaos.

...but I don't have a dedicated office space at home either, which is probably the root of my issue.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 01-31-2023 at 08:57 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:18 AM   #24437
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

Same, but I had an office at work. It's really the alternative between "I could wander the house and find a task to do for a few minutes" vs. "I could wander the office and chat for a few minutes." I hate random chit chat, but I'd rather do than than a chore for a few minutes, so I just keep working at home.
Ghost Econ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:37 AM   #24438
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Those aldis plastic bags are great for cat dumps

This is the one thing I miss about them, and to JIMGs point we had to buy small garbage bags for the cat liter and dog poop.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:38 AM   #24439
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My wife has been exclusively work from home since we moved back to NJ in 2018. She says is far more productive than she was in an office.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:53 AM   #24440
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
My wife has been exclusively work from home since we moved back to NJ in 2018. She says is far more productive than she was in an office.

My wife has been work from home for a number of years and gotten jackshit done. She blames ADHD while playing fortnite while paying "attention" to meetings.

I worked from home for 2 years and got so much shit done work-wise and home as well plus I wasn't spending cash on the car repair, food and gas.

I get one work from home day a week now, not as enjoyable but I did get a promotion that requires me more in the office, I'll be honest, I could do more stuff at home but I understand the expectation when I took the job to be in the office.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:52 AM   #24441
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

My productivity is about the same at home or in the office. The considerable upside to being at home is that when there is down time - which there almost always is - I can spend it doing whatever I want. I can fire up a game for a bit, watch a show, take the dog for a walk, do my laundry, tidy things up, have lunch with my wife, go see what my daughter is doing, etc.

If I have downtime in the office, I just putter around the internet or wander the building, which is now largely empty due to everything closing during the pandemic.

So, all y'all have to step it up and start entertaining me more. The return of MJ4H is a good start!
Old 02-01-2023, 09:40 AM   #24442
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Took my dog for a walk and we went by the home of an ultra conservative Christian family. They have 5 kids between about 5 and 12. They are "homeschooled" or more accurately they don't go to school.

Today the kids were out climbing a tree at 10:30. Any time I let the dog out or go for a walk or run an errand, I can hear the kids yelling outside. Pretty much any time of day.

This is just my way of saying it's ridiculous we let people homeschool their kids in this country with no oversight.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:42 AM   #24443
cuervo72
Head Coach

And I'll bet that if college is even a thought there's a private Christian college that will be happy to accept them.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:54 AM   #24444
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
And I'll bet that if college is even a thought there's a private Christian college that will be happy to accept them.

Ammon Bundy University. I hear they have a top notch skeet shooting team.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:10 AM   #24445
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Interestingly enough this popped up on my facebook page

Nazi Homeschool Network Under Investigation by Ohio’s Department of Education
Old 02-01-2023, 11:39 AM   #24446
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Governor DeWine is probably just investigating how he can give them more money.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:46 PM   #24447
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:

We actually live less than a mile from Bob Jones University (good ole BJu) which also has k-12. I assume they're the sort of Christians who don't think that backwards ass place is Christian enough for them.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:43 PM   #24448
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
This is just my way of saying it's ridiculous we let people homeschool their kids in this country with no oversight.

And they'll still be better off than those attending the average public school.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:42 PM   #24449
Ksyrup

Apparently Dr. Pepper dropped a new permanent flavor - Strawberries and Cream. Our Kroger has it, but of course only the non-zero version so I haven't tried it yet. But they do have Zero, it's just that I'm in Kentucky so 92% of the population prefers obesity.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-02-2023 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:46 PM   #24450
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Irritated a.f. earlier tonight as, while in the middle of a food delivery order, my bank card got cancelled due to a fraud alert query. I've had those any number of times in the past, the whole "did you authorize charge X for $Y" mostly yes but occasional no. But never before had a "nope" gotten my card cancelled in a matter of seconds without discussion.

What follows is my social media explanation of what I learned afterwards.

Quote:
Let me just go ahead & add to the "well ... $%$#" of that card fraud alert from earlier.

I'm telling the story in more detail in hopes that it might help somebody else cover their own bases someday.

I said no, it wasn't authorized because a) I didn't recognize the vendor's name (which was truncated in the bank text & email, and b) I haven't authorized anybody to bill me through PayPal

Digging into it, the whole thing was tricky.

I saw the full vendor name in a subsequent email and while I didn't know them, it was "ancestry/genealogy related" enough that I would have probably assumed it was some auto-renewing thing that my wife had subscribed to and would have sorted it out later. Approve but cancel basically.

However ... talking to the bank customer service rep, I learn that there had actually been four separate attempts to put through a $200 charge in the past 24 hours. Twice yesterday, twice more today. Had I approved the one tonight, they would have gotten me for $800 ... and there is no product/service/subscription they offer that costs $200 even. Other amounts in the neighborhood, sorta, but nothing for that specific amount.
So it almost certainly WAS a straight up fraud attempt, except I wouldn't have known that (seeing nothing about the previous three attempts) had I not talked to a pretty thorough person with the bank.

If you happen to see something about MyHeritage (who the bank rep said was a name he sees all the time in the fraud department), be wary is my advice.