Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-19-2023, 05:39 PM   #24301
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I may be as cold a prick as this board has, so if I'M asking you to ... and I'd revert to pleading if I thought that'd be more effective ... those mental health pros may not be perfect but they can be a useful tool in survival too. Use the whole toolbox Tarcone, use every resource.

Agreed 100%. And Jon & I usually agree on nothing.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:40 PM   #24302
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
And as a kicker my latest blacked out attack on my soon to be ex has driven my 2 daughters away. That relationship is broken,

WHAT THE FUCK?

Don't forget that time can change circumstances and how people feel about you. There is still time to rebuild a relationship with your daughters.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:58 PM   #24303
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I think we are good to go at this point. I hesitate to say that, but he says he’s calmed down at this point. I would rather he get some help just to make sure but it sounds like he’s calmed down. I hope he has.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:08 PM   #24304
Kodos
Resident Alien

Thanks for reaching out to him, Poli.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:19 PM   #24305
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
And as a kicker my latest blacked out attack on my soon to be ex has driven my 2 daughters away. That relationship is broken,

WHAT THE FUCK?

Nothing is broken that can't be fixed as long as you are alive. My brother in law took his life and THAT ruined his relationship with his kids. Don't go down that path, you have way too much to live for.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 06:24 PM   #24306
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I have an uncle with mental health challenges who got divorced and, between his ex-wife's influence on them and his issues, alienated his 2 daughters. It was rough, it's still not perfect. But on Christmas, they were all invited to another uncle/aunt's house for dinner and he got to meet his 2 grandchildren for the first time. Things can and will get better.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:07 PM   #24307
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I don't suppose there's a good method for at least temporarily getting rid of a gun?
Old 01-20-2023, 12:32 AM   #24308
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I don't suppose there's a good method for at least temporarily getting rid of a gun?

That's a good thought.

Tarcone, I believe in US you can just relinquish your weapon to any Sherriff or Police Station but different states probably have different rules.

If you don't want to do that, at the very least, just toss your all ammo. Easy enough to restock when you are ready.

FWIW, I've known 3 close family members contemplate self-harm. They all got help and got over the thought (2 with medication). I'd encourage you to reach out to any resources available, including us at FOFC.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:35 AM   #24309
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I checked in with tarc this morning. He asked me to let you know he’s better today and will check in with us this afternoon.
Old 01-20-2023, 04:28 PM   #24310
tarcone
Coordinator

Still in a dark place. For some reason I decided to delete photos off my phone.
Before I go on, I reviewed this thread and I am absolutely the reason my girls hate me.

Anyway, I have reached out and will try to repair. They are smart and know what the culprit really is. So I know those relationships will heal.

The relationship with myself is a roller coaster right now and I apologize and Thank you guys for your help This is the only community that I feel safe in,I have no support system where I live and that is a thimg I need

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:04 PM   #24311
rjolley
College Starter

No worries, tarcone. Glad you reached out and people were able to talk you through.

I've been having loads of conversations about mental health and being a man having a mental health crisis lately, as I am going through some things as have some of my friends. We have been conditioned for so long to not ask for help in any way, to just suffer through, and not appear weak. While that message has changed lately, thankful, for us old heads, it's ingrained. In media, in conversations, in ribbing from friends...it's always be tough, don't talk about your feelings, and be the rock and anchor of the family. But we all need help to get through things. We all have times where it's too much to bear. And we all should be able to be open and honest with others to work through it. Maybe then, we can be healthy enough to deal with the issues we're facing.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:20 PM   #24312
tarcone
Coordinator

After self reflection which is a gen x trait, I realized abandonment issues are my problem. My parents left me on my own and I survived. Every relationship I have been in is one where I sabotage to beat the abandonment and then blame the female for abandoning me.

Fucking awesome.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 08:54 PM   #24313
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
No worries, tarcone. Glad you reached out and people were able to talk you through.

I've been having loads of conversations about mental health and being a man having a mental health crisis lately, as I am going through some things as have some of my friends. We have been conditioned for so long to not ask for help in any way, to just suffer through, and not appear weak. While that message has changed lately, thankful, for us old heads, it's ingrained. In media, in conversations, in ribbing from friends...it's always be tough, don't talk about your feelings, and be the rock and anchor of the family. But we all need help to get through things. We all have times where it's too much to bear. And we all should be able to be open and honest with others to work through it. Maybe then, we can be healthy enough to deal with the issues we're facing.

The new Metallica song (just released this week) touches on this, the quote from James Hetfield about it really summed it up

Quote:
"'Screaming Suicide' addresses the taboo word of suicide," Hetfield explained of the song's goal. "The intention is to communicate about the darkness we feel inside. It's ridiculous to think we should deny that we have these thoughts. At one point or another, I believe most people have thought about it. To face it is to speak the unspoken. If it's a human experience, we should be able to talk about it. You are not alone."
Old 01-20-2023, 09:10 PM   #24314
Ksyrup

I thought about these posts when I listened to that song today.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-21-2023, 02:21 PM   #24315
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Pillsbury Peter Schrager is purely take him or leave him. Hes harmless.

At the risk of opening myself up to infinite ridicule, I have been known to listen to Bill Simmons' podcast, although, in my defense, only because it's sufficiently entertaining to effectively serve as a "I don't want to think about work while driving to or from work" tool.

ANYWAY...

I have to say with all of the depressing stuff in the world, macro & micro, I appreciate a dose of someone with Schrager's unbounded optimism and positivity.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:04 AM   #24316
Ksyrup

I didn't realize Pepsi was a favorite of people in the Midwest. Apparently Culver's is switching from Pepsi to Coke and a bunch of people are pissed. Personally, I try to stay away from places that serve Pepsi so I almost never eat at Taco Bell, Arby's, etc. - although I do drink tea so if we go, that's what I get. But it makes me laugh to know there are people who would prefer Pepsi products to Coke.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-22-2023 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:13 AM   #24317
miked
College Starter

My newest pet peeve is Uber timing. I open the app and it shows me all these cars that are near and my ride should arrive in 3 minutes. When I confirm, I'm matched with some driver who is 14 minutes away and finishing a trip elsewhere. I've never understood the matching process, but I'm guessing it goes out to all drivers within a certain range and whoever clicks it first gets it? This was only annoying for me the other night because I was waiting on a ride to the airport and cutting it close.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:28 PM   #24318
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It’s really borked Mike. It’s also possible the nearest 5 drivers don’t want to go to the airport either cause that’s a time stank.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 02:31 PM   #24319
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola- if you’re paying $50 the driver could be receiving something like $15-20 on their end also. Uber splits are greedy AF these days.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:40 PM   #24320
Edward64
Head Coach

Or, depending on time of day, they want a ride in the general direction of home.

But hey, IMO still better than trying to hail down a stinky and rude yellow cab
Old 01-22-2023, 04:39 PM   #24321
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Same kind of problems with Doordash. I had a delivery last night that was supposed to take 20 minutes that ended up over an hour and half. They kept reassigning drivers. I heard they will turn down orders because of tips, but I tip well. It was fustrating as heck. Not as fustrating as waiting an hour and having the resurant cancel, but right there at it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:58 AM   #24322
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Adopt a Dog - live cam of puppies and dogs up for adoption | Explore.org
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 02:50 PM   #24323
RainMaker
General Manager

New Mountain Dew Pitch Black tastes like flat grape soda. This is the zero sugar one so maybe the regular is better.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:35 PM   #24324
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Same kind of problems with Doordash. I had a delivery last night that was supposed to take 20 minutes that ended up over an hour and half. They kept reassigning drivers. I heard they will turn down orders because of tips, but I tip well. It was fustrating as heck. Not as fustrating as waiting an hour and having the resurant cancel, but right there at it.

I used DoorDash to pay off my car. It was a great tool for me two years ago. I got out of it when their app changes ruined my ratings. While waiting for them to fix that (which ultimately never happened), they change the base pricing for drivers to try and make longer trips more enticing. I was one wanting to spend most of my time near home so this didn't really excite me. The car was paid off and my son started playing football...just made sense to kill it there.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:00 AM   #24325
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This might be memory playing tricks on me, but I remember that pickup trucks used to be mostly bed. The cab fit two people uncomfortably. Then you got the first "extended cabs" with that seat behind the two.

Now I look at most trucks, and they are pretty much SUVs with the back open. The "bed" is almost symbolic at this point.

This makes no sense to me. If you want an SUV, they exist. What is the value in a pickup truck with a bed so small you'd have trouble fitting lumber in it?

This isn't an anti-truck rant. If anything, it is a pro-truck rant. Whatever happened to trucks?
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:28 AM   #24326
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hey, I've made the same rant. I think my dad's '85 El Camino had more bed than most of these trucks do.

Speaking of Dad, found this a while ago; it's essentially the truck I remember him having when I was growing up. His didn't have the rails on the bed or the spare there though, and he did install a tool box on his (ironworker, needed his tools). Thing of beauty, if you ask me.

1973 Ford F100 | Orlando Classic Cars

(We also had, for a time, a truck from the 40s/50s on the side of our house -- the rounded kind, a la Sanford and Son. In green. Never ran, but loved playing in that thing. Loved the musty smell. Eventually Dad sold it to a landscaping/tree company, who actually fixed it up. After that he regretted selling it.)
Old 01-24-2023, 08:52 AM   #24327
Ksyrup

I think it is partly the fact that pickups are now in vogue for whatever reason so people want the look but more of the comforts and typical car/SUV functionality. I recently saw some comedian talking about this, saying that some people are taking care of the beds almost like an interior and getting angry when someone wants to use it and it gets scratched. It's like, that's what the bed is for!

My boss has one, but he hunts so that makes some sense. One of my neighbors got one a couple years ago and it surprised the hell out of me. He's an accountant and I don't think I've ever seen him put anything in the bed. I guess it's convenient if you need to transport furniture or appliances?
Old 01-24-2023, 09:42 AM   #24328
HerRealName
College Prospect

I recently saw a poll that said a large portion of truck owners view their trucks as powerful and rugged but they're mostly used for running errands and commuting.

I've had a truck for about 7 years now with a 5.5 ft bed. I don't know how many times I've used it to move kids to and from dorms/apartments but it has definitely been useful during the many, many moves. I also use it occasionally for landscaping and hauling trash but I'm going to replace it at some point with a hybrid RAV4 or something like that. Those bastards can get a Uhaul next time .
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:35 PM   #24329
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Hey, I've made the same rant. I think my dad's '85 El Camino had more bed than most of these trucks do.

Speaking of Dad, found this a while ago; it's essentially the truck I remember him having when I was growing up. His didn't have the rails on the bed or the spare there though, and he did install a tool box on his (ironworker, needed his tools). Thing of beauty, if you ask me.

1973 Ford F100 | Orlando Classic Cars

(We also had, for a time, a truck from the 40s/50s on the side of our house -- the rounded kind, a la Sanford and Son. In green. Never ran, but loved playing in that thing. Loved the musty smell. Eventually Dad sold it to a landscaping/tree company, who actually fixed it up. After that he regretted selling it.)
My dad had a '67 F100. Straight 6, with a three speed column shift, Ford blue with a white roof. We just felt like it was a beater truck, and abused the heck out of it. Now, I would give anything to still have it.
When I was hunting trucks last year, that was one of my biggest issues. I wanted one with at least a 6 foot bed, so I could put a camper shell on it to use for camping. I finally did get one with a 6.5 foot bed and the camper shell came with it. My truck would be a Maverick single cap with a 6 foot bed, but they don't exist. A min-truck with 4 doors just seems silly to me.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:49 PM   #24330
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
This makes no sense to me. If you want an SUV, they exist. What is the value in a pickup truck with a bed so small you'd have trouble fitting lumber in it?

Part of the reason I have never gotten a truck is that it always seemed like most truck owners spend more time hauling stuff for other people than they ever did for themselves. I have no issues putting my haul from a Lowe's, Home Depot or even to picking up sod in our Jeep Cherokee. If I needed a bigger vehicle, I rented a U-Haul for an hour or more if I needed it on the very rare occasion, asked a friend who had a truck to help me out. Also packing the truck full of stuff means offloading a lot of stuff when I get home. I rather pay the delivery fee and just lift the stuff up when I am using it.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 02:22 PM   #24331
PilotMan
Head Coach

My Town and Country is moving monster. More comfortable than a pickup, with a ton of hauling capacity. The only thing it lacks is towing and hauling power, but for 98% of normal life stuff, it's fantastic.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 02:34 PM   #24332
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully a lot more ute type trucks come out this decade. I barely need a truck but it would be nice to have for hauling mulch, etc. I could just get a trailer for our suv but out road is psycho and every time I’ve tried to back a trailer in I go insane.
Old 01-24-2023, 02:37 PM   #24333
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola, still flash back to the lyft rider who was pissed I wouldn’t let her load a bunch of mulch in the back of my vehicle. Like I usually rent a Truck/U-Haul for stuff like that.

Was at most a $5 ride and even a $20 tip(which I strongly doubt was coming) isn’t enough to get it done.

Last edited by stevew : 01-24-2023 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 02:44 PM   #24334
Edward64
Head Coach

Are you allowed to turn down rides after you accepted and see who/what they are?

I guess that makes sense but do you have to report why?

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-24-2023 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:20 PM   #24335
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
My Town and Country is moving monster. More comfortable than a pickup, with a ton of hauling capacity. The only thing it lacks is towing and hauling power, but for 98% of normal life stuff, it's fantastic.

Yeah, you want to haul stuff, minivans will do much more than most truck beds these days, with the added advantage that it'll be covered.

Heck, my Honda Fit will fit 8-foot 2x4s and still be able to close the hatch.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:13 PM   #24336
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Made sous vide burgers for the first time and they were delicious.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:29 PM   #24337
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Did you sear at all? If so, before or after the sous vide?
Old 01-24-2023, 11:53 PM   #24338
stevew
Hall Of Famer

After. I used burger rings when I vacuum sealed. Seasoned 93/7 beef, cooked at 135 for an hour. Let them rest for 5-10 minutes out of their bags and then seared on a griddle.

Did steaks similarly recently as well. So good as well . Eventually I’d like to grind my own beef but that’s down the road a ways.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:03 AM   #24339
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Made sous vide burgers for the first time and they were delicious.
I really need to try that. My smoker is broke, so I need new inventive ways to cook meats.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:56 AM   #24340
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I’ve been watching a lot of Guga on YouTube/FB and he’s a bad influence. The steaks I made were also pretty awesome for simply being run of the mill petite cut sirloins.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:04 AM   #24341
Ksyrup

So I got an email from the Cincinnati Bengals this morning. I get them from time to time and I'm still not exactly certain why or how I got on their mailing list. The only game I've been to was nearly 10 years ago and I didn't buy tickets, they were free from a former co-worker.

Anyway, it wished me happy birthday and offered me a 20% off coupon to their store. My birthday is in August.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:45 PM   #24342
GrantDawg

Papa John's bowls are really quite good, especially if you are trying to drop breading. I have gotten where I really don't care for their pizza, but I crave those bowls.

Old 01-25-2023, 09:19 PM   #24343
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have gotten where I really don't care for their pizza, but I crave those bowls.

Bowl-wise, I never dreamed I'd like poke bowls, much less have them become a bit of a delivery go-to for me ... but here we are.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:21 PM   #24344
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Papa John's bowls are really quite good, especially if you are trying to drop breading. I have gotten where I really don't care for their pizza, but I crave those bowls.

Just on principle I refuse to pay a premium for melting cheese on a plate.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:28 AM   #24345
Ksyrup

There is no better sign that we have seen our best days as a society than the "UberEats delivery guy walks onto a college basketball court to deliver McDs while a play is going on in front of him and oh yeah it appears it was a TikTok prank" story.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:30 AM   #24346
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Bowl-wise, I never dreamed I'd like poke bowls, much less have them become a bit of a delivery go-to for me ... but here we are.
Poke bowls are so good. We only have one place that have them. Those are definitely crave-able as well.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:32 AM   #24347
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Just on principle I refuse to pay a premium for melting cheese on a plate.
If you call $8.50 a premium. I call it a cheap meal.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:59 AM   #24348
GrantDawg

Speaking of food, we are getting a Whataburger soon. They opened one north of Atlanta, and it made the news by causing huge traffic issues. Are they really that good?
Old 01-26-2023, 07:11 AM   #24349
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Speaking of food, we are getting a Whataburger soon. They opened one north of Atlanta, and it made the news by causing huge traffic issues. Are they really that good?

No.

I mean, they are good burgers in the fast food world--a cut above McD, etc. But not line-around-the-block good, IMO.

This isn't like a Krispy Kreme opening in a place that's never had one before :-)
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:13 AM   #24350
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

They're a regional fast food chain - there's a ceiling on "how good" something like that can be. I think they're definitely a cut above the average fast food burger, though that's more damning with faint praise. That said, I also think In-N-Out is a really average burger and other people love them and talk about them the way some locals here talk about Whataburger. So maybe my impression is just propped up by familiarity here in Texas. I'm still only getting them once every couple of months but that's because I only get fast food once a month or so.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-26-2023 at 07:15 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote