Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2022, 01:41 PM   #24101
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Funny. After years of training people to use the online portals for doctor's offices to save you and their staff phone time, they're starting to monetize them. Asking a question that requires office time will result in a bill. I wonder if they're ready to get back on the phones. Though I suppose they'll start monetizing the phone calls as well - maybe even use that chat bot.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 09:03 AM   #24102
cuervo72
Head Coach

I don't know, maybe this belongs in a movie thread or something. But does anyone care about Avatar anymore? Is there any juice for this? I could not give a shit that there's going to be another however many of them.
Old 12-15-2022, 09:04 AM   #24103
cuervo72
Head Coach

Also, I shouldn't have eaten those pop tarts.
Old 12-15-2022, 12:25 PM   #24104
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I don't know, maybe this belongs in a movie thread or something. But does anyone care about Avatar anymore? Is there any juice for this? I could not give a shit that there's going to be another however many of them.

I do. I just watched the first one again and am all in.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 12:44 PM   #24105
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
I have never watched the first one, so to me it isn't a big deal. But the movie is going to be the biggest box-office since Top Gun:Maverick, and will probably exceed it. All the buzz is that it is better than the first.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 12:51 PM   #24106
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I watched Avatar for the first time a few months ago and thought, "hmmm, that existed."
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 01:43 PM   #24107
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

I can tell you that my 19r old and his girlfriend are watching the original version right now, before they see the new one tonight.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 03:27 PM   #24108
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Never saw the original but all I remember is the typed summary for the plot of Pocahontas that someone had written over and crossed out names and other parts to insert the characters and parts of Avatar to show that it was the same damn storyline.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 03:49 PM   #24109
Edward64
Head Coach

I was going to paste ChatGPT's review of Avatar (wondering how it does with movie reviews) but got this message

Quote:
We're experiencing exceptionally high demand. Please hang tight as we work on scaling our systems.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:11 PM   #24110
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I thought Julian Edelman was a strange choice, but BMW thinks a 6-years retired Victor Cruz is a good spokesman?? Give that man's agent some sort of award.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:24 PM   #24111
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I thought Julian Edelman was a strange choice, but BMW thinks a 6-years retired Victor Cruz is a good spokesman?? Give that man's agent some sort of award.

Different audience target I guess.

He's also a spokesman for Moet Chandon ... and Krystal (the square burger). (One of these things is not like the other)

He's also a regular attendee around NY Fashion Week.
Old 12-15-2022, 08:38 PM   #24112
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Different audience target I guess.

He's also a spokesman for Moet Chandon ... and Krystal (the square burger). (One of these things is not like the other)

He's also a regular attendee around NY Fashion Week.

Huh, that's all news to me. Good on him for staying relevant enough to keep getting ads I guess.

I'm always kinda mystified when companies hire spokespeople that need to be explicitly introduced as part of the ad (seems to happen with mid-level sports stars in particular). Doesn't that defeat the purpose?
Old 12-15-2022, 08:54 PM   #24113
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I can tell you that my 19r old and his girlfriend are watching the original version right now, before they see the new one tonight.

Came back, said it was awesome, and he's very difficult to impress. Said he would see it again, and it was up with some of his favorite movies of all time. That's an impressive, impressive review.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 09:22 PM   #24114
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Avatar itself has less than zero draw for me, I never even saw the first one...yet it does appeal to some part of me purely as movie spectacle, much like the last Top Gun. As home screens have gotten better and better & TV shows overtake movies in popularity/impact, movies that feel like they really need to be seen on the big screen seems to get more and more rare.

Last edited by thesloppy : 12-15-2022 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:51 AM   #24115
Edward64
Head Coach

Never heard of this before. It would have been cool to stay at the hotel. Poor fish

AquaDom aquarium explodes in German hotel, filling lobby with fish | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
The 82ft-high fish tank, located in the foyer of Radisson Blu hotel in Berlin, burst

Incident at AquaDom aquarium left two people suffering injuries from glass

All 1,500 tropical fish housed in the aquarium were killed in the explosion

Old 12-17-2022, 08:41 AM   #24116
Edward64
Head Coach

Re: Avatar

When I first read below, I thought what a bunch of weirdos. But then I realized, that's probably what parents were thinking of Trekkies back in the 60's. And then I also remembered Shatner on SNL and the "get a life" message. And also how some fans learn Klingon (and Elvish).

So, I guess, more power to them.

Post-'Avatar' Depression Fans Open Up About 'The Way of Water' - Variety
Quote:
The phenomenon, referred to as “post-‘Avatar’ depression” among the fan community, cast a shadow beyond the film’s original release. Max Perrin, a 24-year-old digital artist living in Texas, had an intense emotional experience much later than the first crop of viewers; he didn’t see the film until 2017.

“A lot of people have experienced this in the community,” Perrin tells Variety. “It really made me rethink a few things. I had no idea that I could be so deeply influenced by something like this. I had no idea just how deeply it was going to change me.”
Quote:
Kelutral, an online “Avatar” fan community established on the messaging app Discord. Since its formal launch in 2020, Kelutral has aimed to provide a conversational space for all “Avatar” fans, but it began as a group of people interested in learning and conversing in the Na’vi language.
Old 12-17-2022, 09:45 AM   #24117
GrantDawg

Avatar's box office is likely to come in just over Top Gun's opening weekend but below the $150 million projection that was initially floated. It is going to be the biggest post-pandemic opening weekend.
Old 12-17-2022, 05:13 PM   #24118
cuervo72
Head Coach

Now FB ads are telling me boxers for women are a thing.
Old 12-18-2022, 08:11 PM   #24119
Edward64
Head Coach

I've never been a ginger ale fan, primarily because they weren't "strong" enough for me (except for one brand I had in the Bahamas).

Just tried the Canada Dry Bold Ginger Ale and it's pretty good.

Old 12-18-2022, 10:08 PM   #24120
GrantDawg

Just learned that Fran Tarkenton's family lived here. His brother graduated from my high school, and his mom retired from the school district. Weird I never knew that.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2022, 10:43 PM   #24121
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I've never been a ginger ale fan, primarily because they weren't "strong" enough for me (except for one brand I had in the Bahamas).

Will keep an eye out for this.

For a stronger ginger ale, try ginger beers. The ones from Q, Fever Tree, Bundaberg, and Cock N Bull are good.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 02:33 PM   #24122
Ksyrup

I hate advertising, but I'm also fascinated by what I assume are conscious efforts to get people to spend that are (presumably) researched and validated in some way. Like, having prices end in '9' and such.

I just saw a Shriner's hospital commercial, and while they say "19 dollars a month," every time they show it on screen, it's just "19 a month." No dollar sign, no dollar spelled out. Presumably, this is going to increase donations because we don't see the dollar sign? Surely they didn't just forget it throughout the entire minute-plus commercial I just watched.

Weird.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-20-2022, 03:05 PM   #24123
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

I, on the other hand, was very underwhelmed by it.

Felt like it tried to be ginger beer'esque on one hand and like Vernor's (described as a "sweet golden") on the other hand.

It lands somewhere between the two -- not snappy enough to be the former and not smooth enough to be the latter -- and really didn't satisfy either desire for me.
Old 12-20-2022, 03:06 PM   #24124
Ksyrup

Vernors is the best. One of the benefits of living in KY. When my parents visit, they take several cases back with them. We hadn't had Vernors since we lived in Michigan.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-20-2022 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2022, 03:08 PM   #24125
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Vernors is the best. One of the benefits of living in KY. When my parents visit, they take several cases back with them. We hadn't had Vernors since we lived in Michigan.

Imagine Vernors but without the somewhat signature mouth feel. That's basically my gripe with the Canada Dry Bold. It's not that they didn't try, it's just that they didn't hit that mark.
Old 12-20-2022, 04:08 PM   #24126
thesloppy
Pro Starter

The bold stuff is better than regular Canada Dry, but that's not saying much. I like almost any/all ginger ales/beers except for the two majors...they're just slightly bitter without any actual ginger flavor or bite. I also love Vernors & I'm happy that I can get Vernors in Oregon. I wouldn't call it very strong/bold though,
Old 12-20-2022, 05:36 PM   #24127
Edward64
Head Coach

Who would've thought there are at least 4 ginger ale/beer connoisseurs on FOFC?

Unfortunately, I don't think they make the Bold in diet/zero (yet) so it won't be a regular thing for me.
Old 12-20-2022, 06:19 PM   #24128
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I just got a 6-pack of Vernors, thanks to this thread.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:17 AM   #24129
Ksyrup

I have no idea if it works or is just a placebo, but hot Vernor's is great when you are sick. I think it's the bubbles.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:09 AM   #24130
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I went to my school districts BOE meeting last night. Holy Crap. We have a woman who could be nominated for Karen of the year. I was asked to speak on a specific topic and got to see this woman first hand. I have no idea how anyone has the energy to be so nasty. Apparently they had to call the police a couple meetings ago on her and are considering barring her from future meetings, and she doesn't even have kids in the school system! Insanity.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 08:35 AM   #24131
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I can't wait until we're off this thread page so I don't have to see that gif of Ted Cruz every time I open this thread.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:51 AM   #24132
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

What, pray tell, is she railing against? Are you godless heathens going to give the kids she doesn't have teh gay?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 10:55 AM   #24133
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I can't wait until we're off this thread page so I don't have to see that gif of Ted Cruz every time I open this thread.

Hey, just wanted to help with that.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 10:59 AM   #24134
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Hey, just wanted to help with that.

Thank you, every post helps.
Old 12-21-2022, 11:38 AM   #24135
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
What, pray tell, is she railing against? Are you godless heathens going to give the kids she doesn't have teh gay?

SI

Mostly hiring and how money is being spent. She is a piece of work. During covid she decided to send her high school kid to the school one town over because they didnt have as strict masking requirements, half days, etc...full well knowing she would have to pay tuition. Well, she has been suing the town since claiming the town should cover her kids tuition. Stuff like that.

She is all over social media posting all kinds of lies and half truths, etc..

I was asked to speak last night because after the last meeting she basically doxxed the security guard who works the meetings. He also is the head guard at my daughters school, and a neighbor of mine. He was a cop one town over for 30 years. She posted his image in the towns public facebook group with his name and where he works. He was really pissed and worried someone he locked up could potentially see that and know where he works. As always his first concern was the kids. He asked me if I would come to the meeting and say something, which I did. Actually got a resounding round of applause when I was done, because I took down this lady pretty hard. Several board members came up to me after and thanked me as well. Felt good to do.
Old 12-21-2022, 05:32 PM   #24136
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If that one touch ban & clean thing hadn't been invented, I kinda shudder to think how messed up the front page would be this week.

The bots are going harrrrrrd aamf.
Old 12-22-2022, 02:48 AM   #24137
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

you;re welcome
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 05:36 AM   #24138
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Just to do my part - the problem with the recent discussion is the ingestion of anything ginger-related as a purposeful act. That is a crime against good taste in and of itself.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 07:49 AM   #24139
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Just to do my part - the problem with the recent discussion is the ingestion of anything ginger-related as a purposeful act. That is a crime against good taste in and of itself.

Does this include sushi ginger? I do find it makes a good palate cleanser when going between sushi and other parts of the meal. It's not an ideal taste but serves an important purpose.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-22-2022 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:02 AM   #24140
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

I love a good moscow mule...
Old 12-22-2022, 08:05 AM   #24141
Edward64
Head Coach

Doing my part to get rid of Cruz

(but not because of the ginger)
Old 12-22-2022, 08:13 AM   #24142
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If that one touch ban & clean thing hadn't been invented, I kinda shudder to think how messed up the front page would be this week.

The bots are going harrrrrrd aamf.

Well, when you've got a small-ish community that hasn't grown in 10+ years and isn't particularly well off, above what you could find on other boards, you should definitely target them with the spambots

SI

Old 12-22-2022, 09:41 AM   #24143
Ksyrup

We're still not there yet!
Old 12-22-2022, 09:41 AM   #24144
Ksyrup

Nevermind, I pushed us over the top!
Old 12-22-2022, 09:58 AM   #24145
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Nevermind, I pushed us over the top!

You are the greatest
Old 12-22-2022, 10:20 AM   #24146
stevew
Hall Of Famer

But if we just start deleting posts Raffy could come back
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 10:23 AM   #24147
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
But if we just start deleting posts Raffy could come back

But then PePLe wil l0sE POStS!!!2!!1
Old 12-22-2022, 10:25 AM   #24148
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

merry Christmas!!

Last edited by Lathum : 12-22-2022 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-22-2022, 01:44 PM   #24149
Ksyrup

LOL

You know the worst part of that video is the way he looks (I suppose at the cameras?) right at the end.
Old 12-22-2022, 01:51 PM   #24150
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Does this include sushi ginger? I do find it makes a good palate cleanser when going between sushi and other parts of the meal. It's not an ideal taste but serves an important purpose.

I personally find sushi in general even worse, so that's actually a great way to combine things I don't like into something impressively unappealing. But in al seriousness, in such matters I like the maxim 'Not wrong, just different'. You do you - and I'll be happy to leave all such substances to those who actually enjoy them.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 12-22-2022 at 01:51 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote