Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-15-2022, 10:15 AM   #24001
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Always pegged you as a South Beach kind of guy Jon.

Glad you had a good time.

I actually commented on that as we left, that I wondered how many people could enjoy a week in Miami while going nowhere South Beach (and the only trip downtown was a quick lunch with a family friend)

More than anything, it's just how much f'n nicer people are down there versus here. Nothing makes you hate being surrounded by f'n assholes nearly so much as NOT being surrounded by them for a little while.
Old 11-15-2022, 10:26 AM   #24002
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Wait, Miami? Maybe it's just South Beach where you had a decent experience. I hate the people in South Florida. Some of the worst people I've ever had the misfortune to be around. I remember before we were married and I would visit my wife down there, she'd get pissed at me complaining about how terrible people were down there. I told her, you're just used to it since you've been here for 25 years. And then we got married and moved away, went back, and she apologized pretty quickly.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:30 AM   #24003
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I actually commented on that as we left, that I wondered how many people could enjoy a week in Miami while going nowhere South Beach (and the only trip downtown was a quick lunch with a family friend)

More than anything, it's just how much f'n nicer people are down there versus here. Nothing makes you hate being surrounded by f'n assholes nearly so much as NOT being surrounded by them for a little while.

Yeah nowadays South Beach to the natives is akin to the Strip to people who actually live in Las Vegas.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:32 AM   #24004
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Wait, Miami? Maybe it's just South Beach where you had a decent experience. I hate the people in South Florida. Some of the worst people I've ever had the misfortune to be around. I remember before we were married and I would visit my wife down there, she'd get pissed at me complaining about how terrible people were down there. I told her, you're just used to it since you've been here for 25 years. And then we got married and moved away, went back, and she apologized pretty quickly.

Hey hey hey! He did not say nice, he said nicer than where he lives.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-15-2022, 10:34 AM   #24005
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

New Jersey says hello...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:35 AM   #24006
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
New Jersey says hello...

...to my little friend!
Old 11-15-2022, 10:36 AM   #24007
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
...to my little friend!

actually I believe thats Miami
Old 11-15-2022, 11:32 AM   #24008
Ksyrup

Quote:
New Jersey says hello...

Well, 75% of South Florida is NY/NJ so...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-15-2022, 02:16 PM   #24009
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No, I didn't get anywhere near South Beach (not my thing)

I've really not had a single unpleasant experience with anybody over two week long trips.

I've found it to be pretty much as my son described it "don't be an asshole, you won't run into a problem"

Now, it's very neighborhood/section oriented (far more than Atlanta, the major metro I know best) and I certainly haven't spent time in every single place that's considered "Miami". But Brickell, Downtown (south end Brckell adjacent),Kendall, South Miami all nary a bad moment. Little Havana might very well be one of the most chill places on the planet. Nothing particular negative in Coral Gables itself, though maybe nothing that stands out as way above the curve. Certainly a degree of "be aware of your surroundings" in Hialeah and Miami Springs to a lesser extent but no actual negative interactions.

Hell, we went to watch Miami Central Friday night and were literally the ONLY white folks on that entire side of the stadium, nothing but pleasant interactions. Not just "not negative", legit pleasant. I try to watch a similar game in much of South Atlanta or the rougher side of Athens, it's going to be a very different experience. Been there, done that.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:04 PM   #24010
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

how is it that it took this absurd takeover for people to bail from twitter? It's a STUPID STUPID app! Really terrible!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 06:06 PM   #24011
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
how is it that it took this absurd takeover for people to bail from twitter? It's a STUPID STUPID app! Really terrible!

You should tweet that.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:24 PM   #24012
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
No, I didn't get anywhere near South Beach (not my thing)

I've really not had a single unpleasant experience with anybody over two week long trips.

I've found it to be pretty much as my son described it "don't be an asshole, you won't run into a problem"

Now, it's very neighborhood/section oriented (far more than Atlanta, the major metro I know best) and I certainly haven't spent time in every single place that's considered "Miami". But Brickell, Downtown (south end Brckell adjacent),Kendall, South Miami all nary a bad moment. Little Havana might very well be one of the most chill places on the planet. Nothing particular negative in Coral Gables itself, though maybe nothing that stands out as way above the curve. Certainly a degree of "be aware of your surroundings" in Hialeah and Miami Springs to a lesser extent but no actual negative interactions.

Hell, we went to watch Miami Central Friday night and were literally the ONLY white folks on that entire side of the stadium, nothing but pleasant interactions. Not just "not negative", legit pleasant. I try to watch a similar game in much of South Atlanta or the rougher side of Athens, it's going to be a very different experience. Been there, done that.

Probably boils down to the difference between visiting and living there. Someone could offer to double my salary on the spot, buy my house and pay to move me to South Florida and I wouldn't blink before I said no.
Old 11-15-2022, 07:39 PM   #24013
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Probably boils down to the difference between visiting and living there. Someone could offer to double my salary on the spot, buy my house and pay to move me to South Florida and I wouldn't blink before I said no.

And despite the market conditions AND despite what I've said about not making a move that far too soon, I'm legit considering a purchase (after seeing several crazy good deals ... on the surface at least)

I mean, shrug, diff'rent strokes & all which is fine.

But I've grocery shopped, I've dined out, I've bought electronics, I've been to Walmart (where a literal no-English crew was a better experience than the locals here). I've been to a high school football game, I've been to an NHL game, that covers the majority of my activities here.

It's not without drawbacks.

I haven't experienced delivery yet.
There's no club-level concert scene for me whatsoever.
I'm completely isolated from anyone other than my kid.
It ain't a cheap place to live day to day.

But not feeling like I need my hand on a gun at all times, not being treated some way based on anything other than how I behave, not going anywhere and feeling like there's a 60-70 percent of a negative (or worse) interaction ... those are pretty big positives for me.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:18 PM   #24014
Edward64
Head Coach

I've been to Miami but think I personally prefer Orlando. Just because more touristy things to do and don't have to worry about global warming as much. Also close enough to drive to Miami every weekend.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:04 PM   #24015
Ksyrup

I kept my Florida law license because you never know and I'm not stupid, but it would take a major negative turn in my life for me to go back. Worst case, I'd try to work remotely for a law firm based in Florida before I'd consider going back. Even Tallahassee, which is a far different vibe than South Florida, I didn't enjoy all that much (either the weather or the people).
Old 11-15-2022, 11:41 PM   #24016
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
You should tweet that.

too many letters
Old 11-17-2022, 05:49 PM   #24017
Ksyrup

All of these Taylor Swift fans furious about the Ticketmaster fiasco should just shake it off.

Speaking of shows, the wife and I continue our "we're childless now" tour with Sal Vulcano tomorrow night in Louisville and then John Waite on Sunday night in Cincinnati. John Waite is one of my favorite artists of all time and we're doing the VIP meet and greet beforehand. The last (and only) time I saw him live was 1985 in Atlanta co-headlining a tour with Cheap Trick. It's been awhile.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:04 PM   #24018
Edward64
Head Coach

I barely remember the time before the nutritional labels.

I find them invaluable but have a love hate relationship. Yes, I want to know how many calories (vitamins, carbs, protein etc.) ... but no, I really don't want to know how many calories.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:35 PM   #24019
Ksyrup

The ones at restaurants are the worst. It's incredibly difficult to eat a full dinner at a restaurant where it won't at a minimum put you over half of your daily calorie intake.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:48 PM   #24020
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

If you're worried about daily caloric intake then you probably shouldn't be eating at restaraunts. Most people under-estimate the amount of calories in dine-in meals.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:06 PM   #24021
Edward64
Head Coach

There are good restaurant meals for a reasonable 800-1,000 calories. It's everything else that you order.

I think Sushi and Pho are okay in calories (but have to watch the carbs).
Old 11-17-2022, 07:22 PM   #24022
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
If you're worried about daily caloric intake then you probably shouldn't be eating at restaraunts. Most people under-estimate the amount of calories in dine-in meals.

This is where I am at when I go out to eat. I may order the healthy option but I don't expect it to be that healthy.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:25 PM   #24023
Ksyrup

I'm always watching and I know what I'm getting into, it's just deflating to see that pretty much everything other than about 3-4 items on any given menu are a minimum 1000-1500 calories.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:27 PM   #24024
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm always watching and I know what I'm getting into, it's just deflating to see that pretty much everything other than about 3-4 items on any given menu are a minimum 1000-1500 calories.

Sushi & Vietnamese!
Old 11-17-2022, 07:35 PM   #24025
Ksyrup

I don't do sushi and I rarely get to eat different stuff with the family - which is why I usually get Thai or Pakistani for lunch when I go into the office. My wife can't eat spicy and generally doesn't like those types of foods.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:57 PM   #24026
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I don't know if there's anything that can trigger true rage in me like watching a delivery order in real time. So, someone named Dugg is riding a bicycle to pick up my order a half-hour late and then heads off 2 miles in the opposite direction of my place? I was so much better off not knowing any delivery details.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:22 PM   #24027
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I don't know if there's anything that can trigger true rage in me like watching a delivery order in real time. So, someone named Dugg is riding a bicycle to pick up my order a half-hour late and then heads off 2 miles in the opposite direction of my place? I was so much better off not knowing any delivery details.

We had this once with Door Dash. They picked up our food then went literally past our house and about 7 miles south. My wife who is all Jersey called the person and was like, WTF are you doing?
Old 11-17-2022, 09:28 PM   #24028
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
My wife who is all Jersey called the person and was like, WTF are you doing?

She is my hero.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:45 PM   #24029
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
She is my hero.

Don't fuck with a Jersey girl...
Old 11-17-2022, 11:41 PM   #24030
21C
College Prospect

* I grew up in a home where my dad worked shift work. Woe betide anyone who dared to make a noise when my father was trying to sleep.
* My kids grew up in a home where it was as OK (for them) to close a door by slamming it.
* Now that I am living alone, I will still place a glass on the kitchen counter by laying one end down at an angle and then positioning the rest so that I place it down silently.
* Who am I doing this for? Preconditioning.
Old 11-18-2022, 05:18 AM   #24031
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

lol Elon Musk gave the remaining elpoyees an ultimatum or esle they would be given a severance package and dismissed. Most of them took the money and run ! hahahahoho
Old 11-18-2022, 05:38 AM   #24032
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
* I grew up in a home where my dad worked shift work. Woe betide anyone who dared to make a noise when my father was trying to sleep.
* My kids grew up in a home where it was as OK (for them) to close a door by slamming it.
* Now that I am living alone, I will still place a glass on the kitchen counter by laying one end down at an angle and then positioning the rest so that I place it down silently.
* Who am I doing this for? Preconditioning.

Huh, preconditioning? ... for what?

BTW, definitely headed to Australia. How's a Kangeroo steak? I kinda picture it like Bison here, not a lot of fat, not that great (vs a ribeye).
Old 11-18-2022, 07:52 AM   #24033
Edward64
Head Coach

With the world pop now exceeding 8 billion, I checked out some growth trends. Found a 2019 chart with a nice summary projecting 2020 to 2100.
If accurate ...
  1. China's decline from 1.4 to 1.0 is a wowser
  2. Nigeria will have tripled
  3. Russia, Mexico, Bangladesh, Brazil drops out of Top-10
  4. 4 new entrants in 2100 are African countries
  5. US growing slowly and steadily (assume immigration is a driver)

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-18-2022 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:40 PM   #24034
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
BTW, definitely headed to Australia. How's a Kangeroo steak? I kinda picture it like Bison here, not a lot of fat, not that great (vs a ribeye).
Kangaroo meat is very lean but I wasn't overly impressed with the taste. It is supposed to have a stronger flavor like game but to me it was a bit meh. I think of it more like a meat for tourists.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:15 PM   #24035
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
.[*]China's decline from 1.4 to 1.0 is a wowser

How is this a surprise? 35 year One Child Policy meant a comparative population crash was always going to happen once the aging population before those years started dying off

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 11-18-2022 at 06:15 PM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 01:46 AM   #24036
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
With the world pop now exceeding 8 billion, I checked out some growth trends. Found a 2019 chart with a nice summary projecting 2020 to 2100.
If accurate ...
  1. China's decline from 1.4 to 1.0 is a wowser
  2. Nigeria will have tripled
  3. Russia, Mexico, Bangladesh, Brazil drops out of Top-10
  4. 4 new entrants in 2100 are African countries
  5. US growing slowly and steadily (assume immigration is a driver)

lol I was really confused by how that title was worded.... 5 of the highest populated countries will be in africa....and like I was picturing the continent of africa growing and absorbing all it touched....
Old 11-19-2022, 05:17 AM   #24037
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
How is this a surprise? 35 year One Child Policy meant a comparative population crash was always going to happen once the aging population before those years started dying off

I always thought the one-child policy was to slow down growth, not crash it. The 2019 study prob took into account the two-child policy but not the below May 2021 announcement.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57303592
Quote:
China has announced that it will allow couples to have up to three children, after census data showed a steep decline in birth rates.

China scrapped its decades-old one-child policy in 2016, replacing it with a two-child limit which has failed to lead to a sustained upsurge in births.

The cost of raising children in cities has deterred many Chinese couples.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:44 AM   #24038
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
Kangaroo meat is very lean but I wasn't overly impressed with the taste. It is supposed to have a stronger flavor like game but to me it was a bit meh. I think of it more like a meat for tourists.

Thanks. I will have to try it just to experience it. But yeah, not expecting anything great.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:21 AM   #24039
miami_fan
Coordinator

So has it been decided that we are bypassing Thanksgiving as a holiday and just starting the Christmas season in the middle of November? There are at least five houses in our subdivision who have Christmas decorations up including one where the lights have been up since Veterans Day.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:25 PM   #24040
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
So has it been decided that we are bypassing Thanksgiving as a holiday and just starting the Christmas season in the middle of November? There are at least five houses in our subdivision who have Christmas decorations up including one where the lights have been up since Veterans Day.

All part of Christmas Creep. Been happening here for years, some radio stations start Christmas music after Halloween now.
Old 11-20-2022, 02:35 PM   #24041
PilotMan
Head Coach

Liberals killed Thanksgiving like they killed Christmas and Jesus.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 06:24 PM   #24042
miami_fan
Coordinator

Oh, Lowe's and Home Depot had Christmas decorations for sale out in September. I am used to that. It is just the disregard for Thanksgiving as a holiday that is different this year.
Old 11-20-2022, 06:58 PM   #24043
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

WalMart, too - as soon as back to school is packed up, Christmas starts moving into the seasonal area

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 04:47 PM   #24044
Izulde
Head Coach

Nothing ruins your day quite like seeing your hypocritical, passive-aggressive, two-faced bitch of an ex-roommate get on NPR's booklist. Damn near threw my phone when I saw it.

Old 11-23-2022, 08:03 PM   #24045
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully not for a memoir about her former roommate

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:06 PM   #24046
cuervo72
Head Coach

I mean, now I'm curious.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:12 PM   #24047
Edward64
Head Coach

Not quite the same, but a college buddy wrote a fantasy book and it's on Amazon. I'm jealous because that's my dream in retirement, but know that I lack in creative writing (e.g. too geared towards technical and work related writing).
Old 11-24-2022, 03:38 AM   #24048
Izulde
Head Coach

Basically, she's one of those people who will act sweet and nice to people who thinks she can get something from. So a lot of folks are fooled into thinking she's a great person. But if you're someone who sees through her bullshit, or if you're someone she doesn't think she can gain anything from, she'll treat you like shit.

*VERY* stereotypical LA in her personality (Reminds me of a lot of Hollywood jagoffs I've dealt with TBH)

As an example, there was once a house gathering which I didn't know about that she planned. When it started, I was out to dinner. She screamed at me via text for not doing some chore before the guests arrived. A: I didn't know there was a party. B: It was Friday night. By house agreement, chores were Sunday, so I was going to do whatever chore it was then. C: One of our other roommates had a chore he hadn't done for like six months.

I pointed all of this out to her. She called me an asshole, said the roommate did that chore two months ago (this detail greatly amused my mother and her friends when I told them about this incident), and demanded I come back to the house immediately. I declined, saying I was still out at dinner, but that I would return as soon as I finished.

More calling me names.

I ignored it, finished eating, and returned home to a very awkward party that fell silent the moment I walked in. The two guests I was tightest with looked at me sympathetically and a third guest, who was the most chill dude ever, thankfully rescued it by cracking an unrelated joke that redirected things.

Found out a little later from one of the tight couple that she'd ranted and raved about me the entire time I was gone, just absolutely trashing me, my reputation, and my writing to the entire assembly, even though everyone just ignored her and didn't engage.

That whole situation was toxic as hell that year. Our original group of four was halved, because the girls moved out to go live with their boyfriends (both now married to said boyfriends I believe). So it was the two dudes remaining. Other dude was a chill, prettyboy pothead poet who I got along very well with. Then two girls of the incoming cohort moved in.

The girls immediately started crushing on the poet, setting up a 3-on-1 dynamic. Poet was loving the attention and fawning and pretty much just hung out with them. Other girl roommate was okay - we weren't exactly warm and friendly with each other, but in a normal situation, it'd have been fine.

This wasn't normal. This was pure toxicity. I moved out that spring to an apartment by campus formerly occupied by a graduating member of the cohort ahead of me (brilliant writer who a lot of people thought should be dating me - we understood each other's work perfectly and got on swimmingly until she had a nervous breakdown a few years later).

When I moved out, our landlord was all, "It's too bad things turned out the way they did". I had explained the situation to him as to why I was leaving, and on his end, he said he was hearing constantly negative things about me for months from The Bitch, but that he didn't involve himself in that kind of drama. He appreciated my being level with him and not adding to it.

Old 11-24-2022, 04:06 AM   #24049
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I mean, now I'm curious.

are there noods?
Old 11-24-2022, 04:07 AM   #24050
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

hey izulde, didja know they are making a community movie?