Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #2351
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeah, a pretty mild card. I still might head up to the local sports bar and check it out. The other 3 cards on the show ought to be Spike fights. Sexyama and Belfort coming off of losses can't carry the co-main and Rashad is going to school Tito in a boring display of boxing and takedown defense.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #2352
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
This POS UFC card isnt even on the front page and its tonight.

Usually this thread doesn't get bumped until the card has started or in a fair amount of cases, the next morning if nothing spectacular/unforeseen happened. That said, yes, this card sucks donkeyballs. And it started with so much promise.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #2353
PilotMan
Head Coach

Prelims are starting on facebook now, if anyone cares.

Like Steam?

Old 08-07-2011, 05:19 AM   #2354
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Not bad tonight.

Spoiler
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #2355
Flasch186
Coordinator

So Belfort finishes Akiyama with what?! 2 solid blows to the back of the skull. Awesome. Just frickin' awesome.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #2357
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Very nice job considering he couldn't see out of his left eye for mos of the fight.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #2358
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

WTF? The fight was stopped because one fighter told the ref that the other fighter tapped? Even though there was no tap.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #2360
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
WTF? The fight was stopped because one fighter told the ref that the other fighter tapped? Even though there was no tap.

Mazzagatti is fucking terrible.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #2361
PilotMan
Head Coach

Showtime announcers = stoned college kids. My God they suck.

Like Steam?

Old 08-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #2362
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Tonight's show has the potential to be better than a lot of the PPV's.

Henderson/Miller and Hardy/Lyttle have the potential to be great fights.

Plus Cerone should put on a good show, too bad he is a prick (if I recall correctly from his previous fights).
Old 08-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #2363
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I wish Ben Henderson came with a mute button.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #2364
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
I wish Ben Henderson came with a mute button.

But in his interview he said that he doesn't do any talking...

Old 08-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #2365
DeToxRox
Head Coach

What a way for Lytle to go out. Will always be one of my favorites ever.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #2366
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
What a way for Lytle to go out. Will always be one of my favorites ever.

Very nice ending for him.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #2367
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

So Hardy with 5 straight losses. Seems so long ago that he faced off with GSP. GSP, who of course couldn't finish him over 5 rounds...
Old 08-16-2011, 12:33 AM   #2368
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
So Hardy with 5 straight losses. Seems so long ago that he faced off with GSP. GSP, who of course couldn't finish him over 5 rounds...

Sure as hell wasn't for a lack of trying. Most examples of GSP grinding out a decision I wouldn't argue, but as much as I dislike Hardy I'll give him full credit for his toughness at not giving up in the GSP as there were numerous moments that were severely cringe worthy to watch.

I was actually surprised when he tapped out in this one after what he endured in the GSP fight. Happy for Lytle but still surprised.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #2369
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

It's only four isn't it? GSP, Condit, Johnson, Lytle...?

He's not actually that good a striker either, certainly in terms of power. I don't get the whole Hardy 'goes to war' thing tbh, although he seems a grounded type of guy and pretty intelligent.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #2370
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Rumor is a deal between UFC and Fox is nearing completion. There would be four specials on Fox every year and all the other UFC shows would move to FX.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #2371
DeToxRox
Head Coach

From Bloody Elbow:

Quote:
It looks like the UFC on network TV is finally a reality. According to a report from Sports Business Daily, the UFC and Fox have agreed on a deal that would bring as many as four events to the network each year. A recent deal with Fox Sports Latin America appears to have been proper foreshadowing.

Fox refused to comment to Sports Business Daily, but several of their sources revealed the following details:

* As many as four events per year on Fox
* A seven- or eight-year deal with bidding having reached somewhere around $90M/year
* Weekly programming on Spike and Versus moving to FX
* Some UFC content will end up on Fuel, though the cable network will not be rebranded

The SBD article also reveals details about negotiations with Comcast/NBC and Spike TV. Spike ultimately passed on a new deal, citing stoppage in growth. SBD notes that programs like "Unleashed," "Knockouts," and "Countdown" average 1 million viewers in 2005, with that number falling under 500k this year.

If this is the real deal, it's big news for MMA and the UFC.

[Update 1:38 p.m. ET] A UFC official declined to comment on the situation to Bloody Elbow.

[Update 2:20 p.m. ET] An anonymous Fox source confirms the deal to Heavy.com.

[Update 3:43 p.m. ET] John Ourand, author of the SBD article, tweets, "Fox will have a 1pm press conference Thurs with Hill, Freer, Shanks, Landgraf for 'one of the biggest announcements in Fox Sports history.'" (HT: Bloody Elbow reader IRodC)
Old 08-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #2372
PilotMan
Head Coach

Great news all around on this.

Like Steam?

Old 08-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #2373
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

'Ultimate Fighter' Canceled by Spike - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

Looks like "you can't take your show elsewhere, we just cancelled it"

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-18-2011 at 11:56 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #2374
molson
General Manager

I wonder if the Fox shows would be big, ppv-caliber events. I'm sure it makes money sense to do so, but I've never thought it was a good idea to rely so heavily on that tiny group of people that buys PPV events. I'm amazed the UFC has grown so fast on that model, but if you bring big fights to people for free you're going to gain interset and awareness so much faster.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #2375
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Lorenzo said the Fox shows will be big shows with blockbuster headlining fights.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #2376
PilotMan
Head Coach

Dana said today that he expects Brock back to headline the New Years card.

Like Steam?

Old 08-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #2377
PilotMan
Head Coach

Looks like a Guida v. Ben Henderson fight will be the main event for the first televised Fox show in November. Tell you what, that damned Edgar/Maynard draw coupled with the injuries they have sustained has really dicked up the lightweight division.

Like Steam?

Old 08-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #2378
Suicane75
Coordinator

Main event or under card fight? I can't imagine them trying to sell that fight to first timers as the main.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #2379
PilotMan
Head Coach

Main event from what they are saying. I guess it seems like two top title contenders who have high workrates and will keep things busy in the cage.

Like Steam?

Old 08-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #2380
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I guess I didn't know their first show was only going to be an hour long. How the hell is this suppose to work? While that's a fight I'd like to see, that's a fucking joke for a headlining fight.

Someone threw out the possibility of Velasquez-Dos Santos, but how do you fit a championship fight plus something else in one hour?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #2381
PilotMan
Head Coach

That's funny. No way they take one of the biggest fights of the year and give it away for free. It just isn't happening, and those that think they should, should have their heads checked.

How exactly is the potential #1 and #2 lightweight contenders for the title a joke of a fight to headline a free show?

I think what the prevailing thought is that the name value just isn't there. Perhaps someone like a Lesnar who is one of the highest name draws out there and he is coming off of a big loss, or another mainstream fighter, even if it might not be an important fight. Because a Guida/Henderson fight would be an important fight.

Like Steam?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #2382
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I think what the prevailing thought is that the name value just isn't there. Perhaps someone like a Lesnar who is one of the highest name draws out there and he is coming off of a big loss, or another mainstream fighter, even if it might not be an important fight. Because a Guida/Henderson fight would be an important fight.

Agree 100%, the Guida/Henderson matchup is huge, a must see for hardcore MMA fans and a worthy main event. But for their first show I would think they would look to put on a main event that would pull in the casual fan and they need a name for that.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #2383
DeToxRox
Head Coach

There is a report that they are looking at Anderson vs Hendo for the title assuming Anderson gets out of Rio without much damage. Truthfully I do not see how that would work when Anderson and Hendo (once he signs) would lose money on a fight on Fox. Those PPV points are millions of dollars.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #2384
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well if that's the case then it seems relatively obvious that they have no intention of running Strikeforce as a separate entity for long. Figure that all the fighters there are on extended trials for the UFC.

It will be nice to see someone like Bigfoot in the octagon and Gilbert Melendez too. Kinda depends on that cross promotional stuff with Dream.

There are still some rumors floating around that Overeem is in backdoor negotiations with Zuffa still, and that him coming to the UFC is still a possibility.

Like Steam?

Old 08-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #2385
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Showtime is not renewing their deal with SF and the rumor is SF will be kept alive at the behest of Lorenzo Fertitta as a minor league to the UFC. They are shopping the product to Versus since Versus withstood years of bad ratings for WEC, they figure they can do a bit better then that with the SF name.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #2386
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Nog winning just gave me chills. That was awesome.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #2387
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Wow..did Silva really just go Ali on Okami? That was some arrogant attitude...but wow!
Old 09-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #2388
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Cain vs JDS confirmed for the Fox show. It will be the only live fight on the card.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #2389
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
That's funny. No way they take one of the biggest fights of the year and give it away for free. It just isn't happening, and those that think they should, should have their heads checked.

How exactly is the potential #1 and #2 lightweight contenders for the title a joke of a fight to headline a free show?

blah blah fucking blah
Old 09-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #2390
thesloppy
Pro Starter

By "only live fight on the card", does that mean the rest of the card is taped/delayed, or is it some sort of 'Unleashed'-style best-of, with old fights, and one live main-event? The latter would seem an odd choice.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #2391
Suicane75
Coordinator

Sounds like it's gonna be a normal show, just starting in the afternoon. Probably wont be near the caliber of undercard as usual though.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #2392
PilotMan
Head Coach

Holy shit, Brock is back and taking on Overeem Dec. 30!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...ereem-ufc.html

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 09-06-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #2393
DeToxRox
Head Coach

lol Nick Diaz

Quote:
Crazy news coming out of the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Nevada. Nick Diaz is out of the UFC 137 main event against Georges St. Pierre. Carlos Condit is in.

The video stream for the press conference is choppy, but the word from those at the press conference, including Bloody Elbow's own Chris Barton, is that Diaz missed today's press conference. Diaz also missed yesterday's press conference in Toronto, Canada. UFC President Dana White said Diaz missed three separate flights within 24 hours, though I'm not sure if all of those were to Canada or if they included his trip to Vegas. White claimed Diaz "lied to his face."

White also said that Condit returned his call within fifteen minutes. He also mentioned that Condit cried when he found out the news.

Cesar Gracie black belt Jason Manly is now claiming on Twitter that Diaz was involved in a plane crash. "@EllenbergerMMA @kcbanditmma his plane crashed bro have some respect! He's safe and back training though.." [Update] This is false. Diaz simply missed flights.

Condit was originally scheduled to fight B.J. Penn at UFC 137. The UFC has not found a replacement for Penn.

White mentioned that tickets for the event went on sale today. He said that those who purchased tickets expecting to watch Georges St. Pierre fight Nick Diaz will be given the opportunity to refund the purchase.

Condit is reportedly on a plane to Las Vegas.

[Update] Dana just took a call from Cesar Gracie during the press conference. Dana relayed that Cesar feels embarrassed, and that he's tried to turn Nick Diaz around. Cesar also apparently told Dana that Nick is hiding and nobody can find him.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #2394
PilotMan
Head Coach

yeah, I just heard, that's fuckin weird. too much pot in his system today I guess,

Like Steam?

Old 09-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #2396
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Anyone has a [puncher's] chance against someone that doesn't finish his fights.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #2397
PilotMan
Head Coach

Clearly not in that state of mind he didn't. If he was serious about it he has the set of tools that could really make it interesting.

As for Condit. I am a big fan of his. He has been around the top for a long time, and even though his first couple of fights in the UFC were a little shaky, he has been totally dominant lately. He has a great standup and ground game. Very well rounded. Obviously, GSP is going to have the strength edge, and he won't wear down, but I think that Condit can really make a good fight out of it. I'd rather see his "mean mug" than Diaz's any day.

Like Steam?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #2399
moriarty
College Starter

LOL, now it's BJ vs Nick Diaz. This is like a bad WWE script.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #2400
DeToxRox
Head Coach

BJ vs Diaz is an awesome fight. I can't wait for that Countdown. The entire situation makes zero sense but I like both these match ups better. Now I just somehow need Condit vs Diaz.