Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #2351
Mrs. Schmidty
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
She's turning 8 in November here. Sounds like your daughter and mine would be friends though. She likes the same type of stuff, and I let her watch a good bit of things that are PG-13 if they aren't too bad. Things like the more recent batman movies I probably wouldn't let her watch just yet for instance but she used to love watching all of the star wars movies (not sure if those are just pG or PG-13 off the top of my head)

Our kiddo is 6 (and a 1/2 she'll tell you) and loved the Star Wars movies as well - mainly the original ones. She, like us, isn't a fan of the newer ones.
Mrs. Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #2352
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Ahhhh! This has turned into the Parents Anonymous thread!
Old 08-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #2353
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Ahhhh! This has turned into the Parents Anonymous thread!

yeah join us! have a kid.

Last edited by Lorena : 08-08-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:31 PM   #2354
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Pineapple Express - 5/10: Meh. I was expecting far better from the Apatow family of films. Superbad was great, Knocked Up was pretty funny, 40 Year Old Virgin was hilarious, and Forgetting Sarah Marshall was really good. But this was really wasn't all that funny. Some amusing parts, but for the most part, I was thinking, maybe I needed to be stoned for this film. Was a DVD pick at best.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #2355
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Ken Burn's The War - While on vacation in SF, my parents, brother and I watched three of the seven episodes over 4 nights. Very interesting approach to such a comprehensive subject, and completely watchable in an enthralling type of way. 9/10
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #2356
Easy Mac

WALL-E: 10/10. I'm not an animated movie fan, or really a Pixar fan, but if this isn't at least nominated for Best Picture, something is wrong with the academy.

This is honestly the best movie I can remember seeing.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #2357
Lorena
Unregistered

Clerks - 6/10

I don't get why this movie was all that. Sure it had its moments but I think it'd be funnier on paper.

Some Like It Hot - 8/10

This was the first Marilyn Monroe move I've seen and she was great to watch, but I think the real star of the move was Jack Lemmon. The way he delivered his lines was just hilarious.

Monty Pyton and the Holy Grail - 9.5/10

This was the first Monty Python movie I've seen and oh.my.god. I laughed so incredibly hard I cried. Just thinking about the Lancelot scene makes me bust out laughing... can't believe I waited this long to see it.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #2358
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This was the first Monty Python movie I've seen

Shame. At least you rectified it.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:33 PM   #2359
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Clerks - 6/10

I don't get why this movie was all that. Sure it had its moments but I think it'd be funnier on paper.

Glad I'm not the only one. I love Mallrats though which is widely considered his worst of the series. I enjoyed Clerks II a lot more than Clerks as well.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:53 AM   #2360
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Shame. At least you rectified it.

Yeah I know! We've put a few in our queue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Glad I'm not the only one. I love Mallrats though which is widely considered his worst of the series. I enjoyed Clerks II a lot more than Clerks as well.

Yeah even though the first one was ok, I'm still gonna watch Mallrats and Clerks 2.

Last edited by Lorena : 08-10-2008 at 01:57 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:55 AM   #2361
Lorena
Unregistered

Teeth - 7/10

Uuuummmmmmmmmmm... wow. I'm glad I saw it but maan, this is not for everyone. I mean jeez, it's a chick with teeth in her vagina! Yeah, some of the stuff was.. a little graphic to say the least but man, while Ant was wincing and I couldn't stop laughing at the ridiculousness.

Last edited by Lorena : 08-10-2008 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:27 AM   #2362
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah I know! We've put a few in our queue.

Yeah even though the first one was ok, I'm still gonna watch Mallrats and Clerks 2.

I think you'll like Clerks II more than Clerks....Clerks was really great for its time (I was too young to see it when it came out, but I when I did see it I enjoyed it. However, I could see how people a little older than me that saw it when it came out would be...maybe awed by it's candor). Clerks 2 is pretty current, and the acting is way better. They use music fantastically in the second one..Smashing Pumpkins and a Soul Asylum reprise come to mind immediately. Plus, Rosario Dawsons bouncing boobage during the dance number is mesmerizing. Your mileage will almost certainly vary on that front, though.

EDIT: Grammar disaster

Last edited by Karlifornia : 08-10-2008 at 04:28 AM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:13 AM   #2363
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Teeth - 7/10

Uuuummmmmmmmmmm... wow. I'm glad I saw it but maan, this is not for everyone. I mean jeez, it's a chick with teeth in her vagina! Yeah, some of the stuff was.. a little graphic to say the least but man, while Ant was wincing and I couldn't stop laughing at the ridiculousness.

You rated that movie much higher than me. I didn't find many redeeming qualities from this movie at all!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:39 AM   #2364
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I think you'll like Clerks II more than Clerks....Clerks was really great for its time (I was too young to see it when it came out, but I when I did see it I enjoyed it. However, I could see how people a little older than me that saw it when it came out would be...maybe awed by it's candor). Clerks 2 is pretty current, and the acting is way better. They use music fantastically in the second one..Smashing Pumpkins and a Soul Asylum reprise come to mind immediately. Plus, Rosario Dawsons bouncing boobage during the dance number is mesmerizing. Your mileage will almost certainly vary on that front, though.

EDIT: Grammar disaster

I would have enjoyed it more if I saw it when it came out. I dunno, I guess I'm all growed up now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
You rated that movie much higher than me. I didn't find many redeeming qualities from this movie at all!

lol

Yeah, I just saw you rated it a 2/5 on Netflix. I can see how some ppl might not like it but it was so ludicrously bizarre I couldn't help but laugh.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #2365
molson
General Manager

Mongol 8.5/10

I'm ready for Mongol, part 2 (the actual reign of Genghis Khan).
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #2366
MikeVic
Head Coach

You Don't Mess With The Zohan - 7.5/10
An Israeli counter-terrorist wants to move to the U.S. to become a hair stylist. I thought the trailers for this looked funny, so I've wanted to see it for awhile, but wasn't expecting too much. It was pretty much what I thought it would be, and that's perfectly acceptable. It had a few LOL moments and the main girl was hot. I also liked the cameos. If you like Sandler, I think you'll like this movie. I don't think it's something I'll go out of my way to see a second time though.

Last edited by MikeVic : 08-11-2008 at 08:56 AM.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #2367
Mrs. Schmidty
High School Varsity

Mamma Mia: 7/10
One of the cheesiest movies I've seen in awhile, but still good. Most of the actors don't have great singing abilities, but they pull it off. Definitely a feel good movie to be seen with the girls! There was one song that from a mother to her daughter that even elicited a tear!
Mrs. Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:15 AM   #2368
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Vantage Point: 4/10

Hey, let's take a 40-minute movie with only a marginally interesting plot and stretch it over 2 hours by showing it over and over and over again!! I think this was one of those ideas that sounded great until the movie was made and then everyone realized it was a really really really stupid idea.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:42 AM   #2369
MikeVic
Head Coach

I liked Vantage Point.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #2370
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Meh. I think it could've been done better. Some of the stuff seemed just random and there were a LOT of time inaccuracies (things they showed happening in one run through, but that must've happened literally in an instant in the next one).

I mean if they're basically going to shorten the overall plot, the least they could do is make everything line up correctly.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #2371
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

One more thing that really turned me off

Spoiler
Old 08-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #2372
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeheinz72 View Post
One more thing that really turned me off

Spoiler

Exactly!
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #2373
MikeVic
Head Coach

Closer - 8/10
A pretty miserable movie with some good scenes, lines, and conclusion. About four people who's relationships kind of get intertwined. Starts off pretty slow, then gets funny/weird, and then gets to the misery. At least the relationship happenings seemed miserable to me. I thought the actors did a good job, and really liked the conclusion of the stories. There were some good discussions, etc. between characters, so overall I'd say it was a good movie. One of Natalie Portman's scenes might have bumped up the score too.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #2374
Lorena
Unregistered

Citizen Kane - 9/10

The story alone is good, but after watching it with the commentary, I appreciate it even more. It's one of those artsy movies that was waaay ahead of it's time in terms of camera usage and "special effects". I'm glad I finally saw it.

Being John Malkovich - 8/10

A struggling puppeteer discovers a portal into performer John Malkovich's head. You see the world thru his eyes for 15 minutes. This movie was just weird and a little awkward at times. John Cusak did a great job playing the weird, awkward puppeteer.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:41 AM   #2375
MikeVic
Head Coach

Tropic Thunder - 9/10
A group of actors think they're shooting a war movie, when in reality they're facing real events, for real. A funny and entertaining movie. Downey Jr. was so awesome. There wasn't much time in between laughs. I kind of wanted more crazy action movie stuff, but that wasn't really the purpose of the movie, so I'm fine with that. The commercials/trailers before the start of the movie were great too, and provided an introduction to the characters.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:18 PM   #2376
Lorena
Unregistered

Tropic Thunder - 8.5/10

Not very PC but I LOLed quite a bit. I agree with MikeVic on the commercials/trailers they were hilarious.

I really enjoyed Tom Cruise playing the foul-mouthed producer. Some stuff was a little over the top, but it was nice to see him play a different kind of role.

Last edited by Lorena : 08-16-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #2377
MikeVic
Head Coach

The Onion Movie - 6.5/10
Don't really know if this can be classified as a "movie." There's no real story, just a bunch of sketches put together. Some of it is pretty funny, and past sketches are sometimes referred to in future sketches, but I was expecting more of a main story to hold it all together. It was also odd to see some scenes played multiple times.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #2378
Flasch186
Coordinator

I am Legend 7.5 / 10

It wasn't as bad as some had led me to believe but it also wasnt the greatest film Id seen like this. castaway was better.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:11 AM   #2379
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Tropic Thunder - 8.5/10: Makes up for the bad taste of "Pineapple Express". Hilarious movie, and very, very well acted. Downey, Jr. was absolutely amazing in his blackfaced Aussie character. Stiller did a wonderful job as the dumb main actor and director and rest of the ensemble (and what a star studded one it was) was done perfectly. Tom Cruise, though, was bust out loud funny and stole every scene he was in.

I agree that the fake trailers before the movie were perfect and really set the scene. I was kinda confused when they showed the booty drink music video thing, but then it all worked.

Jack Black, though, has the line of the movie when he's tied up to the tree and is telling Brandon T. Jackson (the guy playing the actual black soldier) what he'd do to get freed... in some very detailed language.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 08-17-2008 at 01:13 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:46 AM   #2380
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:
Tropic Thunder - 8.5/10: Makes up for the bad taste of "Pineapple Express". Hilarious movie, and very, very well acted. Downey, Jr. was absolutely amazing in his blackfaced Aussie character. Stiller did a wonderful job as the dumb main actor and director and rest of the ensemble (and what a star studded one it was) was done perfectly. Tom Cruise, though, was bust out loud funny and stole every scene he was in.

I agree that the fake trailers before the movie were perfect and really set the scene. I was kinda confused when they showed the booty drink music video thing, but then it all worked.

Jack Black, though, has the line of the movie when he's tied up to the tree and is telling Brandon T. Jackson (the guy playing the actual black soldier) what he'd do to get freed... in some very detailed language.

Why you gotta copy my rating?

Yeah the first trailer caught me off-guard, we had just finished watching the trailer for W., so I wasn't sure if "fake trailer" was real or what.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #2381
Buccaneer
Head Coach

This is going to be weird but I'll do it anyway. My son has been on a major Star Wars kick for the past month. I am not a Star Wars fan, nor a sci-fi fan, but I have seen the original trilogy plus episode 3 previously. When my son was watching them, I would catch bits and pieces of them, particularly episodes 1-3. That got me curious about the whole story arc. I did quite a bit of reading on wiki, including some of the Expanded Universe and then watched the 6 movies. You know what? The story worked.

Episode 1 - 2.5/10 - Definitely a weak movie, more of a introductory movie since all we pretty much got Anakin's intro (and prophesy) plus a little on the mentors-students relationships, not to mention Jar-Jar.

Episode 2 - 4/10 - Better than episode 1 but the acting was too weak, imo. Great scenes though, esp. the Galactic City, Tatooine and Kamino scenes.

Episode 3 - 7/10 - I saw this in a theatre initially and hated it. But now that I know much more of the story, it was really cool to see how everything fits together. While I think episode 2 had more better scenes, the opening battle plus Mustafar are definitely the highlights of the first trilogy. It truly was all about the rise and fall of Anakin and I think they did a pretty job on keeping focused on that. Plus after watching the extra stuff, I really have a high appreciate into the effort it took to make this movie (as evidence in the Mustafar fight scene).

Episode 4 - 7/10 - I originally saw this in the 80s and wasn't impressed, but I can appreciate the revolutionary aspect of this when it first came out. I think what makes this movie better for me now is the knowledge of the backstories.

Episode 5 - 8.5/10 - A truly delightful movie that placed a lot of emphasis on telling a good story and a great character in Yoda. The Hoth and Dagobah scenes were really unique and fun, in a low-tech kind of way.

Episode 6 - 6/10 - At first, it was simply the son finding good in his father. Now, it's the fulfilling of the prophesy. The ewoks scenes were a little stupid but seeing the redemption of Anakin after following the whole story arc made it a nice ending.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #2382
korme
Go Reds

Pineapple Express - James Franco stole the show, and there were some pretty funny parts. I'll admit, however, that I was slightly disappointed, only because I had such high expectations. That said, it was still very, very funny. 8/10

Tropic Thunder - Major comedy #2 of the summer (for me). This time, I had very little expectations because I half expected it to bust. Well, it got better as it went on and it was pretty great, a unique concept in a comedy is a rare thing. Very good. Not quite sure which of these two I liked better yet, so 8/10.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:35 AM   #2383
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

Yeah, that was hilarious.

Also, speaking of the trailers, I loved this part

Spoiler
Old 08-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #2384
miked
College Starter

Don't know if I mentioned this but I got Walk Hard from Netflix. Watched about 30 minutes of it and had to stop it was so bad. The good of the nekked boobies was undone by the bad of the nekked mens.

0.5/10 because it had some tetas.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:55 PM   #2385
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Yeah, that was hilarious.

Also, speaking of the trailers, I loved this part

Spoiler

Hahaha, I loved that too korme.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #2386
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Southland Tales (4/10):

Yup, but I still liked it quite a bit for some strange reason, even though I was confused as hell.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #2387
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Hahaha, I loved that too korme.

+2

probably my favorite of them all
Old 08-20-2008, 03:09 PM   #2388
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

The Terminal: 7/10

I guess this one came out sometime in 2004, but I had never gotten around to seeing it. I like Tom Hanks in pretty much everything he has been in, and this was really no exception. I thought the movie dragged on a little, especially in the middle portion (I mean seriously, a 2 hour movie about being in an airport terminal?). The ending was interesting in that it wasn't necessarily what you would expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #2389
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

21 - 3/10 (I'd give the book 7/10)

Really disappointing since I had read the book while on vacation a few months ago. Anyhow, if you like the premise of the story (taking loads of cash from Vegas via Blackjack) I highly suggest you read the book instead of wasting time on the film. The two were really nothing like each other and one can tell where Kevin Spacey decided to up the importance of his character in the film (he's also a producer) when compared to what it is in the book.

Anyhow
Old 08-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #2390
SFL Cat
College Starter

Clone Wars 5.5/10

I found it kind of meh, but my kid enjoyed it. I would have liked to see the movie go someplace and give us characters we haven't been before (i.e. Tatooine, Jabba the Hutt). There were some interesting characters (Jabba's uncle on Coruscant), but for the most part, it felt like a tired retread...much like the three "prequels."

I suppose they were trying to emulate the style of the animated series on TV, but frankly I found the character design a little loud for 3-D. Felt like I was watching a marionette movie. A more natural look for the characters (maybe blending real-life with the more stylized 2D drawings) would have worked better.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 08-20-2008 at 05:35 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #2391
RendeR
Coordinator

Hancock, 8/10

Superhero flick thats not about saving the world, Loved the actors and actress , they played perfect roles. Loved the twist and the fact that they left it open ended.

Really a good fun movie. "Call me an asshole....one....more...Time."
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:21 PM   #2392
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

The Bone Collector - Suprisingly hadn't seen this one before, watched it last night- really liked it, 8/10

All this talk about Tropic Thunder has me wanting to see it, I'll admit I thought it would bust horribly, but the more previews I see the better it looks.

Carlito's Way - 6.5/10
Scent of Woman - 7/10
Four Brothers - 7/10

Last edited by Doug5984 : 08-20-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:04 PM   #2393
Lorena
Unregistered

Run Lola Run - 9/10

Wow, this movie was great. Nice fast pacing from the getgo with a kickass soundtrack. Loved the editing, split screens, camera angles, just beautifully made. The movie is actually pretty deep once the 81 minutes are up... what would happen if we changed 1 moment in our lives? How would it impact me and those around me? Definitely recommend.

I started watching it with subtitles, but everything was going so fast, I ended up watching the English dubbed version instead.

Anyone seen it? I'd love to hear what some of ya'll thought about it.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:10 PM   #2394
MikeVic
Head Coach

I saw Run Lola Run awhile ago, and then again when I had to write an essay for a film class I took. I don't know what exact score I'd give it, but it would be at least a 9. I loved the three different paths taken by the main character, the quick editing to show what happens to people she runs into, and the soundtrack was great.

If you didn't know, the main girl (who I believe was also in a Bourne movie) sings one or more of the songs in the movie.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #2395
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Run Lola Run - 9/10

Wow, this movie was great. Nice fast pacing from the getgo with a kickass soundtrack. Loved the editing, split screens, camera angles, just beautifully made. The movie is actually pretty deep once the 81 minutes are up... what would happen if we changed 1 moment in our lives? How would it impact me and those around me? Definitely recommend.

I started watching it with subtitles, but everything was going so fast, I ended up watching the English dubbed version instead.

Anyone seen it? I'd love to hear what some of ya'll thought about it.

Great flick, I saw it at a friend's house years ago and bought it immediately. Ditto on the soundtrack, I actually bought that one (it was good to run to when I used to run, go figure ). Kind of like Sliding Doors but nowhere near as...well, almost "Disney-fied"

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #2396
korme
Go Reds

I love that I titled this thread "V. 1.0" as if there would soon be a V. 2.0.

I'm pretty sure if someone tried to make a second version of a thread that is now on page 49, I'd have to kill them.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:38 PM   #2397
Pyser
Pro Rookie

roxanne - 4/10. pretty boring, extremely few laughs.

midnight run - 8/10 - not boring, surprisingly, a lot of laughs. maybe de niro's best comedy, before he was impersonating himself.

mr woodcock - 1/10. not even remotely funny. "change of heart" made absolutely no sense. i get the feeling the studio ruined this, no way these actors signed on for what this movie was. im sure there's a great "here's how our vision got messed up" story waiting to come out.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #2398
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Wow, I'd give Roxanne an 8/10. The 20 insults scene is one of Steve Martin's best film moments.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #2399
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Wow, I'd give Roxanne an 8/10. The 20 insults scene is one of Steve Martin's best film moments.

I agree with Big Nose here.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:21 PM   #2400
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

I would agree...even if he never did get to 20.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote