Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #2351
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Do you really think they lose sales because of a demo? I'd like to see data to support that. The demos are like usually 5 mins of gameplay, so I never really take much from them.

It DOES matter for those who have early access because I believe it's mostly the full game, so they can basically play a "gold" version of the game to really gain impressions. Those who pay for only a month at $4.99 (or the full year) are basically "demoing" the game anyway and haven't bought into anything. You still have to purchase the game when it releases (but get a 10% discount).

I don't think it's much different than the Season Ticket they had for the 360 and ps3.

It's a two hour demo for those with the service. You'll be lucky to get in 1-2 games and won't have time to check out much else.

You have a short memory span regarding demo impressions. They rarely were anything other than complaints about things not being fixed or glaring glitches with player models/interaction.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:11 PM   #2352
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
It's a two hour demo for those with the service. You'll be lucky to get in 1-2 games and won't have time to check out much else.

You have a short memory span regarding demo impressions. They rarely were anything other than complaints about things not being fixed or glaring glitches with player models/interaction.

Do you only read when it's in Sony's favor? Two hour time limits were talked about for games like Dragon Age. For sports games, like Madden, it will be the full game.

Also, demos are always favorable from what I've read, as with most games, they start off with "WOW" and as time goes by.. the warts usually come out.

Madden 15 only available prerelease on EA Access - CNET

Quote:
The game maker is, however, offering exclusive full-game availability of Madden 15 to customers of its new EA Access subscription service for five days prior to its release.

Quote:
EA's subscription service, however, boasted as one of its perks the option to try new releases five days prior to launch. A demo is only a taste of a game and sometimes even that small slice is enough to get a customer to fork over $60 for a new release. However, oftentimes it is not, which is partially what drives the use of rental services, such as Gamefly, and used-game purchases from GameStop.

By giving gamers full-game access for five straight days through EA Access, the experience may prove better at converting on-the-fence customers into buyers on launch day, especially if they've been entrenching themselves in all the game has to offer and not just what a demo would typically allow. "And if you want to keep playing? Your progress in the trial will be saved so you can pick up right where you left off if you decide to purchase the game,"

Quote:
Updated at 12:20 p.m. PT: Clarified that EA Access offers full-game access to select titles like Madden 15 and updated story with confirmation from the company.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:24 AM   #2353
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Do you only read when it's in Sony's favor? Two hour time limits were talked about for games like Dragon Age. For sports games, like Madden, it will be the full game.

Also, demos are always favorable from what I've read, as with most games, they start off with "WOW" and as time goes by.. the warts usually come out.

Madden 15 only available prerelease on EA Access - CNET

We'll see. You appear to believe that EA is going to give you everything you think you want. They have a consistent way of doing the exact opposite.

We'll just agree to disagree on the second point. I've seen consistently bad impressions over the demos outside of noticing that a certain guy has the right socks in this year's game from both media and gamers alike. Most of the gaming media that I know and talk with still on a regular basis agree with that sentiment.

There's some VERY concerning details coming out about NHL 15 as well. It appears they've pulled some of the most popular online play modes (which of course they'll add back as new next year) and also still have no gameplay footage. NHL and FIFA have been the only two redeeming parts of EA of late. If they start botching that as well, we've got problems.

Man, we need sports gaming competitors in such a bad way.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:10 AM   #2354
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Signed up for EA access last night and it is great so far. I know someone in this thread can't give an inch but it is a good deal as it stands right now. Sure, we'll see how it plays out in the long run, but I'm happy with it right now, despite typically not being a fan of EA.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #2355
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We'll see. You appear to believe that EA is going to give you everything you think you want. They have a consistent way of doing the exact opposite.

We'll just agree to disagree on the second point. I've seen consistently bad impressions over the demos outside of noticing that a certain guy has the right socks in this year's game from both media and gamers alike. Most of the gaming media that I know and talk with still on a regular basis agree with that sentiment.

There's some VERY concerning details coming out about NHL 15 as well. It appears they've pulled some of the most popular online play modes (which of course they'll add back as new next year) and also still have no gameplay footage. NHL and FIFA have been the only two redeeming parts of EA of late. If they start botching that as well, we've got problems.

Man, we need sports gaming competitors in such a bad way.

FOFC is so lucky to have someone like you with all your gaming contacts, please keep us up to date with all the latest gaming news will ya?

I don't play online so as long as single player is good, I'll be very happy with NHL 15 and FIFA 15. The great thing.. I'll have 5 days to play the FULL game to see if it's purchase worthy or not. (Don't worry, I'll post impressions for you)

Maybe you can go over to Operation Sports and post how the scoreboard in Boston is actually 6 inches bigger than the screenshot EA has put out.

If EA Access was ps4 exclusive, I can only begin to think how you would put your little spin on it... let's pretend a bit shall we?

"Reports are coming in that Madden 15 is the best version yet.. my sources tell me with the power of the ps4, the Madden team has finally been able to release their vision of what Madden should be without having to cut corners."
Old 08-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #2356
BillJasper
Pro Starter

It concerns me there will be no PS4 Madden 15 demo. If you're not going to go exclusively to an Xbox One model, you may be pissing off the wrong group of gamers.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #2357
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Rise of the Tomb Raider announced for holiday 2015 as an exclusive on Xbox

Croft Conversion: 'Rise Of The Tomb Raider' Will Be Xbox Exclusive, Microsoft Announces at GamesCom - Forbes

Xbox One getting media player with USB and DLNA support 'soon'

Xbox One getting media player with USB and DLNA support 'soon' | Polygon
Old 08-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #2358
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

The Jaguar is TRUE 64 bit technology....
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #2359
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
It concerns me there will be no PS4 Madden 15 demo. If you're not going to go exclusively to an Xbox One model, you may be pissing off the wrong group of gamers.

Yah.

Definitely won't be preordering - guess I can hit it up at Redbox for a day and see if I enjoy it or something.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #2360
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Yah.

Definitely won't be preordering - guess I can hit it up at Redbox for a day and see if I enjoy it or something.

I'll probably still end up buying it day one, a demo hasn't dissuaded me from buying it yet.

But it seems silly to cut out a huge portion of your potential customer base, people who would have a couple weeks to point out any flaws that got by the programmers and would make patching easier and more cost effective. Also, it was something I was going to buy digitally this year but no demo kinda kills that thought. I want the option of taking it back if I don't like it.

Just seems like a short-sighted decision on EA's part to grab a few extra bucks.

Last edited by BillJasper : 08-12-2014 at 02:37 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #2361
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
But it seems silly to cut out a huge portion of your potential customer base, people who would have a couple weeks to point out any flaws that got by the programmers and would make patching easier and more cost effective.

The demos aren't gold code, they are usually versions of the code that are a couple of months out from release. When you read the release notes for a demo, they often mention bugs that have already been fixed.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #2362
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'll probably still end up buying it day one, a demo hasn't dissuaded me from buying it yet.

But it seems silly to cut out a huge portion of your potential customer base, people who would have a couple weeks to point out any flaws that got by the programmers and would make patching easier and more cost effective. Also, it was something I was going to buy digitally this year but no demo kinda kills that thought. I want the option of taking it back if I don't like it.

Just seems like a short-sighted decision on EA's part to grab a few extra bucks.

In the end, it's really the same early access option they had before with old games thrown in. Before, you had to pay $4.99 to get early access. Now you pay $30/year to get the same thing plus they toss in the old version of most sports games to wet your whistle.

The thing I'm most excited about regarding the EA plan is that they have put down the pricing gauntlet and it's generally a good start. This move is going to force Sony's hand on their Playstation Now service, which is great for everyone in the end.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #2363
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Not much posts on here about it, but there's a ton of new console news today. Here's the highlights of the MS conference.

Xbox Gamescom 2014 press conference round-up: Tomb Raider, Halo Channel | Joystiq

And the highlights of the Sony conference.

Gamescom 2014: Sony's Biggest PlayStation Reveals - IGN

Really excited about the new 2.0 firmware with the Share Play option. Love that you can play co-op with other players remotely and that only one person has to own the game.

Pretty ironic moment today as well regarding Sony announcing that they had sold 10M units to customers.

Quote:
Sony sent out an official release regarding the PS4's 10 million milestone. That figure accounts for worldwide sales as of August 10, and represents the "fastest and strongest" growth in PlayStation hardware in Sony's history.

"The responses we have received for the PS4 system's unique gameplay experiences powered by the network, along with its vast game portfolio has been phenomenal, and I am absolutely delighted that PS4 was able to reach this commemorative milestone in less than 9 months," SCE CEO Andrew House said. "We're so grateful for the enormous support from PlayStation gamers worldwide, and we look forward to bringing even more exciting content and services in the months ahead."

As we remember from one year ago........

Quote:
“History has shown us that the first company to reach 10 million in console sales wins the generation battle." - Don Mattrick

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-12-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:56 PM   #2364
chadritt
High School Varsity

Shots fired: ‘Rise Of The Tomb Raider’ Is Officially An Xbox One Exclusive
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #2365
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post

Doesn't make much sense to me why these companies put out major third party exclusives. What this means atleast to me: My house probably won't be buying Tomb Raider games going forward.

The reboot sucked my girlfriend in and she was excited for the sequel. But we won't buy an XBox any time soon...and she won't play a third game in the series without ever playing the 2nd. Regardless of how they sell it.....which was exactly MY thoughts on Dead Rising, until they caved and put it on PC. I think all of these 3rd party companies are crazy to make their games exclusive. At best I can't imagine the check from the hardware company allows them do much better than break even on lost sales, and they have to deal with pissing off their customer base. No wonder so many of these companies go out of business.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #2366
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Doesn't make much sense to me why these companies put out major third party exclusives. What this means atleast to me: My house probably won't be buying Tomb Raider games going forward.

My guess is that Microsoft threw a lot of money Squenix's way. Kind of like they did to get Tales of Vesperia to be a NA Xbox360 exclusive.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #2367
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
And the highlights of the Sony conference.

Gamescom 2014: Sony's Biggest PlayStation Reveals - IGN

Pretty ironic moment today as well regarding Sony announcing that they had sold 10M units to customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Console sales, he's waiting
His hand is warm and dry

Grandstand, grandstand so
Grandstand so close to me

Old 08-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #2368
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
My guess is that Microsoft threw a lot of money Squenix's way. Kind of like they did to get Tales of Vesperia to be a NA Xbox360 exclusive.

Of course they did. That's how exclusive deals work.

The real question should be.....why Tomb Raider???? There's lots of franchises in SE catalog that would move the needle far more than Tomb Raider. Was it too expensive to get one of them that would have really made a big statement to the gaming public? This feels like a deal where that was the most they were willing to spend given the issues with the system. Either that, or the MS CEO is continuing his frugal ways to try to turn the company around.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #2369
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I don't know the reason. I just know it because MS sucks bawls and is jelly of Sony.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #2370
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Loving sony makes you look down every morning and think you're Jonah Falcon.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #2371
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm looking forward to the media announcements made today for the Xbox one. It will soon play loads of video types, including mkv, support DLNA, stream live TV to smart glass (tablets, iPads, iPhones, etc), and added programming info for live TV. Part of my decision to get the Xbox was in the hopes of it being an all in one media box so it is good to see them continuing to work on that area.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #2372
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Cant wait for Destiny to come out next month!!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #2373
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post

The reboot sucked my girlfriend in and she was excited for the sequel. But we won't buy an XBox any time soon...and she won't play a third game in the series without ever playing the 2nd. Regardless of how they sell it.....which was exactly MY thoughts on Dead Rising, until they caved and put it on PC. I think all of these 3rd party companies are crazy to make their games exclusive. At best I can't imagine the check from the hardware company allows them do much better than break even on lost sales, and they have to deal with pissing off their customer base. No wonder so many of these companies go out of business.

This is a timed exclusive, from the sound of things. Exclusive to Xbox 360/Xbox One next holiday, and sometime 2016 we'll see it on PC/PS4.

Quote:
Of course they did. That's how exclusive deals work.

The real question should be.....why Tomb Raider???? There's lots of franchises in SE catalog that would move the needle far more than Tomb Raider. Was it too expensive to get one of them that would have really made a big statement to the gaming public? This feels like a deal where that was the most they were willing to spend given the issues with the system. Either that, or the MS CEO is continuing his frugal ways to try to turn the company around.

I went through a whole list before I realized this deal was for Holiday '15 and not Holiday '14, and the long and the short of it was that most of the currently announced crop of games are either titles which have almost zero shot of being talked out of multiplatform status, or titles which have already announced one way or the other on some form of exclusivity. There isn't a lot of information yet about Holiday '15 titles, with most of the games on IGN's release date list either already slated for 2014, or listed as 'TBA 2014,' which I'm reading as 'TBA 2015'. This is kind of a first shot across the bow at next year's holiday season. It's the first AAA title for that window that's come up is I think "why Tomb Raider."

I suspect we'll see others as Microsoft tries to push the Xbox One perception back towards a games-centric focus and gets away from Kinect and "snap TV."

The stuff we already know is coming isn't really going to budge between now and the end of 2014, so if Microsoft is getting back in the exclusives game, 2015 is their first real shot to make waves, and Tomb Raider is the first title they've been able to line up that way.

It'll still land on PC and PS4 in 2016, I'm morally certain; I think, much like the 'exclusive' DLC in the last generation, Microsoft has no interest in handing over piles of cash for permanent exclusives, but would rather focus on having the stuff be exclusive during its initial availability window.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #2374
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Have you ever thought of applying for the CEO or CMO job at either Sony or M$?

Its clear you are the piece both are missing.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #2375
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

It concerns me because this should be their big chance to show off the first true (hopefully) next gen Madden title after a very subpar initial PS4/Xbox One release.

Instead, they are using it to push their new subscription BS to one of the two next gen consoles.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #2376
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
It concerns me because this should be their big chance to show off the first true (hopefully) next gen Madden title after a very subpar initial PS4/Xbox One release.

I actually liked Madden 25 for the PS4. I thought it was a solid game. Probably the reason why I'll still buy '15 even without the demo.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #2377
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I actually liked Madden 25 for the PS4. I thought it was a solid game. Probably the reason why I'll still buy '15 even without the demo.

Gameplay wise I did too - it was just everything else. Presentation and franchise modes were very lacking. I expected it based on last gen, but still, at least NBA 2K14 had the next-gen look to it.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #2378
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Presentation and franchise modes were very lacking.

Agreed. Definitely hope they up their game this time around.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #2379
Terps
College Prospect

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/...-michel-ancel/

My favorite announcement from Gamescom.

Quote:
When we started working on WiLD we wanted to make sure that we would have fun playing our own game even after months and months of development! This is the reason why the world of WiLD is the size of Europe, with dynamic weather and seasons, and filled with interactive opportunities that feel endless.

Last edited by Terps : 08-12-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #2380
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
This is a timed exclusive, from the sound of things. Exclusive to Xbox 360/Xbox One next holiday, and sometime 2016 we'll see it on PC/PS4.

Yep, confirmed as only a "Holiday 2015 Exclusive."

Microsoft confirms Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity deal "has a duration" • Eurogamer.net

Looks like Rise of the Tomb Raider has gone from something I'd likely pick up on release to something I'll wait until it is on sale for $10 or less.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #2381
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

July NPD's are out. PS4 is #1 for the seventh straight month. Amazing to see TLOU: Remastered top the charts despite only being out a few days at the end of July.

July 2014 NPD: PS4 was No. 1 once again | GamesBeat | Games | by Jeff Grubb
Old 08-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #2382
Groundhog
Coordinator

Not that amazing considering there has been no other release of note.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:28 AM   #2383
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

How does this work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Sony confirmed that the PlayStation 4 was once again the top-selling console for the seventh month in a row. The company confirmed earlier this week that it has sold more than 10 million PS4s worldwide, but Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft have all declined to share specific sales numbers for July.

We sold the most! Of course, there's no way to confirm that because no one else released sales numbers.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-15-2014 at 07:28 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #2384
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
How does this work?

We sold the most! Of course, there's no way to confirm that because no one else released sales numbers.

SI

They could be getting some numbers from the retailers themselves.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #2385
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Retailers will often provide market share to their account managers.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #2386
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
How does this work?

SI

They know the numbers. The NPD reports that the companies receive (which they pay thousands of dollars to receive) have detailed sales numbers. The NPD gets grumpy because eventually on places like NeoGaf, someone who has access to those reports leaks the actual numbers. That obviously undermines their information, which pisses them off.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #2387
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I bought Diablo III for the PS4 yesterday, it took no longer to download and install than a similarly sized Steam game. I was amazed. I hope this is not an isolated case.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #2388
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good bundle option if you want a PS4 and aren't interested in the upcoming Destiny bundle. Infamous: Second Son and 3 months of PS+ included for free.

Amazon.com: PlayStation 4 Console: Video Games

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-22-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:36 AM   #2389
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Another bundle, this time on the X1 side. I'll be really interested to see if this moves the needle. This is basically offering the X1 for $305.

Xbox One Madden NFL 15 Console Bundle + $35 Target Gift Card $400 + Free Shipping - Target Deals, Coupons and Promos
Old 08-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #2390
Kodos
Resident Alien

A PS4 Madden bundle would probably get me to hop on board.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #2391
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Xbox One Madden NFL 15 Console Bundle + $35 Target Gift Card $400 + Free Shipping 08-15-2014 - Slickdeals.net
Old 08-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #2392
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Are you kidding? It's like they're trying to justify the X1 release day price point by showing that people would have been better off buying it on day one. If the Kinect wasn't dead from a development standpoint before, it is now.

Xbox One Kinect stand-alone to hit the market October 6 for $149 | Windows Phone Central
Old 08-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #2393
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Are you kidding? It's like they're trying to justify the X1 release day price point by showing that people would have been better off buying it on day one. If the Kinect wasn't dead from a development standpoint before, it is now.

Xbox One Kinect stand-alone to hit the market October 6 for $149 | Windows Phone Central

How is that Playstation Move working out for ya?
Old 08-26-2014, 06:55 PM   #2394
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
How is that Playstation Move working out for ya?

You really think the two are comparable? One was an accessory that was added mid-generation. The other was the center of a console's focus on launch. One was discounted after people didn't take to it. The other had its price increased after being removed from a launch day bundle.

It's not even remotely close to the same situation. I'm not sure how many more examples of being tone deaf we need to see from MS. It's getting laughable at this point and only the most diehard of MS fanboys would consider it anything else.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #2395
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
You really think the two are comparable? One was an accessory that was added mid-generation. The other was the center of a console's focus on launch. One was discounted after people didn't take to it. The other had its price increased after being removed from a launch day bundle.

It's not even remotely close to the same situation. I'm not sure how many more examples of being tone deaf we need to see from MS. It's getting laughable at this point and only the most diehard of MS fanboys would consider it anything else.

So they weren't supposed to ever offer it as a stand-alone after unbundling it? I seem to remember you shitting all over the original Kinect, which became the top selling console accessory in history.

We can always count on one thing. You trying to paint any Microsoft decision in the worst possible light.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #2396
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
So they weren't supposed to ever offer it as a stand-alone after unbundling it? I seem to remember you shitting all over the original Kinect, which became the top selling console accessory in history.

We can always count on one thing. You trying to paint any Microsoft decision in the worst possible light.

Oh, we knew they would offer it. They've likely got millions sitting in a warehouse collecting dust. But I'm not even sure the term 'flabbergasted' begins to describe the fact that they brought it out at a stand-alone price of $150. They're either stupid, obnoxious, or arrogant for making that move. The consumer response will likely be somewhere between laughing and a WTF look. It makes no sense at all.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:07 PM   #2397
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

Quote:
They're either stupid, obnoxious, or arrogant for making that move. The consumer response will likely be somewhere between laughing and a WTF look. It makes no sense at all.

As sure as the sun will rise in the east.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #2398
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
As sure as the sun will rise in the east.

So you believe that it was a good move to release it at a $150 price point?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #2399
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
So you believe that it was a good move to release it at a $150 price point?

There really isn't a point in having a discussion with you. But since you asked, I don't have an issue with them listing it at $150. The 360 one also came out at $150 when it was released. You also ridiculed that decision. You are acting like this is some sort of massive misstep by Microsoft when it is nothing of the sort. But then again, we don't really expect to have any sort of meaningful conversation with you when it comes to these topics.

Last edited by cartman : 08-26-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:31 PM   #2400
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
There really isn't a point in having a discussion with you. But since you asked, I don't have an issue with them listing it at $150. The 360 one also came out at $150 when it was released. You also ridiculed that decision. You are acting like this is some sort of massive misstep by Microsoft when it is nothing of the sort. But then again, we don't really expect to have any sort of meaningful conversation with you when it comes to these topics.

You're further making my point for me. The original Kinect was $149 when released and it received a lukewarm response. I criticized that price point and was proven correct. When they brought it down to $99, sales took off.

Now, if they would have done the same thing here, no big deal. Instead, they bundled it at a $99 price equivalent and then took it to $149 as a stand-alone. People aren't that stupid. That's always going to be seen as a price hike. Not only that, the price at launch was considered too high anyway. Now they've basically hiked that price.

Only positives I've seen from X1 owners thus far is that they hope they can offload their launch Kinect at a higher price thanks to the increased price of the stand-alone Kinect.