Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #2351
RainMaker
General Manager

That is unfortunate to see someone try and capitalize on this. It's horrible to those who were actually victims. I had a bad vibe from that guy from the start, just seemed way too desperate for attention. I hope people stop giving him attention.

As for the book, I hope he gets paid well but I don't know why anyone would have any interest in it. Feel horrible for the person but it sounds like something that would just be massively depressing to read.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #2352
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
The part that jumps out to me is his $140,000 salary - is that normal for a college receivers coach? If so, man am I in the wrong business...
Yeah, that seems reasonable for a high-revenue, BCS conference school. That's comparable to what most of the base-level assistants at Washington get (obviously coordinators get a lot more).
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #2353
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Sales of 'Paterno' book fall short of expectation - ESPN

"Paterno" book sales fall flat. It's only sold about 30% of its initial order.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #2354
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Are there any digital numbers? Seems like a crazy (and antiquated) order for something that may fall flat.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #2355
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
"It is selling well in both print and digital formats, we are receiving positive feedback from our retail partners about how the book is performing in their venues, and we have plans in place to promote the book through the holidays."

Not sure how well it is selling in digital format since they claim it is selling well in the non-digital format as well.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #2356
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Sentencing today, and Yahoo wins the prize for "most obvious headline."

Sandusky runs risk of sexual assault in prison - Yahoo! News
Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #2357
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Sentencing today, and Yahoo wins the prize for "most obvious headline."

Sandusky runs risk of sexual assault in prison - Yahoo! News

No love for Sandusky but I always thought it was weird that we applaud prison justice of raping a man and also wonder how somehow a criminal doing hard time for almost certianly a disgusting and evil crime thinks that sexually assualting a man is a fit punishment for another man also being a devient.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #2358
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
No love for Sandusky but I always thought it was weird that we applaud prison justice of raping a man and also wonder how somehow a criminal doing hard time for almost certianly a disgusting and evil crime thinks that sexually assualting a man is a fit punishment for another man also being a devient.
I never heard of rape and a man.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #2359
spleen1015
Coordinator

No less than 30 years for this piece of shit.

Now I hope the media stops showing his disgusting mug.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #2360
Ben E Lou

Wow. Now Lawyerin' Joe is going on and on about a conspiracy to take down Paterno, and Sandusky being merely fallout from that.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #2361
Ben E Lou

Heh:
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #2362
bhlloy
Coordinator

If you are going to go out you may as well go out pandering

Of course, if there really was a conspiracy, he would be a pretty large part of it as the shittiest lawyer money can buy. He did as much to maximize the damage to Sandusky as anyone
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #2363
Philliesfan980
Banned

Man Ben, I get it we all hate Sandusky, but you seem almost fanatical about it.

(note, this is coming from a guy who actively roots against PSU)

The best part about today for me is that hopefully this will be the last we hear of this.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #2364
Ben E Lou

My interest in this case isn't so much about Sandusky as the bigger ramifications that it likely has for all of college football.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #2365
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
My interest in this case isn't so much about Sandusky as the bigger ramifications that it likely has for all of college football.

I'm not really sure that it has any material ramifications for college football. The penalties were weak. PSU is still on ESPN every Saturday (I'm curious to see what the ratings are - I bet they are even higher than last year). They weren't projected to be a great team this year even without the sanctions, and they've managed to be a good team. Take away that terrible VA loss, and things would look even better.

Sure, PSU won't be going to the Outback bowl or anything like that but I'm not sure if kids really care about that. I bet Bill O'Brien still gets a top QB prospect - mainly because of his reputation with Brady (whether that's real, or perceived is a different story). They're going to have some depth issues because of the scholarships, but that really should effect special teams the most.

The bottom line is they can still sell the fact that they're going to play in front of 100K people on a weekly basis, learn from a great coach who has NFL experience and can get them ready for the next level. They aren't going to be hurt nearly as bad as some people think they are. And quite frankly, I hate it.

Last edited by Philliesfan980 : 10-09-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #2366
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
I'm not really sure that it has any material ramifications for college football. The penalties were weak. PSU is still on ESPN every Saturday (I'm curious to see what the ratings are - I bet they are even higher than last year). They weren't projected to be a great team this year even without the sanctions, and they've managed to be a good team. Take away that terrible VA loss, and things would look even better.

Sure, PSU won't be going to the Outback bowl or anything like that but I'm not sure if kids really care about that. I bet Bill O'Brien still gets a top QB prospect - mainly because of his reputation with Brady (whether that's real, or perceived is a different story). They're going to have some depth issues because of the scholarships, but that really should effect special teams the most.

The bottom line is they can still sell the fact that they're going to play in front of 100K people on a weekly basis, learn from a great coach who has NFL experience and can get them ready for the next level. They aren't going to be hurt nearly as bad as some people think they are. And quite frankly, I hate it.
You completely missed my point. I don't care about the rest of the world's view of college football, just mine. I'm not naive to think that something similar wouldn't be covered up elsewhere, and that's what keeps me interested.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #2367
Ben E Lou

Dola:

And there's also the fact, mentioned elsewhere in this thread, that I had to basically ruin a guy's career by reporting to the proper authorities when he was accused of child molestation. I thought the accusations to be false at the time, and it turns out that they were. So I don't have a whole lot of empathy for Paterno et al.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #2368
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
More fallout from the scandal. Former PSU president Graham Spanier is being charged with perjury and obstruction.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8A00YS20121101
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 11-01-2012 at 11:30 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #2369
molson
General Manager

I wonder if that'll screw up his national security job. Or make his mysterious hiring into that secret position a presidential campaign issue.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #2370
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
Man Ben, I get it we all hate Sandusky, but you seem almost fanatical about it.

(note, this is coming from a guy who actively roots against PSU)

The best part about today for me is that hopefully this will be the last we hear of this.

Welp...

Corbett seeks dismissal of Penn State sanctions - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #2371
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

No one is forcing Penn State to play in the NCAA. If they don't like the sanctions, they can leave the NCAA.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #2372
Logan
Head Coach

I also don't quite get how the state can come in, seeking a dismissal of sanctions that the university agreed to (I can at least understand the rationale to sue to keep the fine money in state).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #2373
Ben E Lou

Interesting. Some of the PSU supporters that I've pretty much considered to be tinfoil-hatters have been vocal about saying that Corbett's hands are pretty dirty in all of this.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #2374
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I also don't quite get how the state can come in, seeking a dismissal of sanctions that the university agreed to (I can at least understand the rationale to sue to keep the fine money in state).
I think this has very little to do with the University administration and everything to do with a politician grandstanding and pandering to his voters.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #2375
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

The state and the university aren't necessarily the same entity for all purposes. Sometimes different state agencies sue each other. The relationship between all those parties can be complicated, and the NCAA may very well have some defenses based on Penn St's consent, but you can always sue, and this is all probably novel stuff in PA law. So the lawyers should be able to do enough to get paid.

Last edited by molson : 01-03-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #2376
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
No one is forcing Penn State to play in the NCAA. If they don't like the sanctions, they can leave the NCAA.

Yeah, I thought the way the NCAA crafted the sanctions and agreement with PSU was pretty smart. I don't see the legal challenge holding much weight unless you get a real home court judge.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #2377
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure if its well known, but we have a 203 member state legislature so I'm not surprised if they have too much time on their hands to pressure the governor. We could easily cut the legislature by 1/2 and not miss a beat.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #2378
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

Nowhere else to go. That's the point of the suit. NCAA is a monopoly.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #2379
molson
General Manager

Here's the handy simple blog break-down of the whole thing:

Pennsylvania Governor and NCAA Go to Court to Cover Their Own Asses « Above the Law: A Legal Web Site – News, Commentary, and Opinions on Law Firms, Lawyers, Law School, Law Suits, Judges and Courts

I understand the problem from a policy perspective and it's why I've thought since the start that financial penalties against the school are kind of silly here (well, taking away wins is even more silly and IMO, demeaning to the victims, but not relevant here). The idea, according to posters here and the NCAA, was to basically punish the Penn St. community as a whole, and it's fans, for "liking football too much." But the public money that the NCAA is getting its grubby hands on it isn't even Penn St. fan money, its Pennsylvania taxpayer money. Now maybe it's just and fair to punish the taxpayers for living in a state that has a school where some of the fans "like football too much," but at that point its starting to get a little tenuous policy-wise for sure, and maybe legally. Can the NCAA just take public taxpayer money for whatever it wants, even if it's not for a violation of athletic rules (except for all-encompassing "institutional control" type-rules)? That's a pretty huge power to have. If they truly have that power, than maybe membership isn't a great deal for public institutions, even if there's no other options at the moment.

Edit: And what did ever happen to to enforcement for, you know, athletic-related discipline like recruiting violations? That Miami story was huge for a while but the NCAA just forgot about it. Maybe they'll just get out of the recruiting violation discipline business entirely and just capitalize financially on the big real-life tragedies like this one.

Last edited by molson : 01-03-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #2380
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Edit: And what did ever happen to to enforcement for, you know, athletic-related discipline like recruiting violations? That Miami story was huge for a while but the NCAA just forgot about it. Maybe they'll just get out of the recruiting violation discipline business entirely and just capitalize financially on the big real-life tragedies like this one.

What makes you think the NCAA forgot about it? When the players that are accused of committing violations don't cooperate it takes longer (see: USC). Add to that the fact that the investigation is occurring in the middle of NCAA reform on penalties and its going to take time. There was a Yahoo story a few months ago that updated the investigation with an interview of Nevin Shapiro's runner and commented on the lack of cooperation from former players that are involved.

I find it funny that since it's not instant then the NCAA isn't working. We heard the exact same comments during the USC investigation and then the majority of people were surprised at how hard USC was hit. Oregon and Miami both have sanctions heading their way.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #2381
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
What makes you think the NCAA forgot about it? When the players that are accused of committing violations don't cooperate it takes longer (see: USC). Add to that the fact that the investigation is occurring in the middle of NCAA reform on penalties and its going to take time. There was a Yahoo story a few months ago that updated the investigation with an interview of Nevin Shapiro's runner and commented on the lack of cooperation from former players that are involved.

I find it funny that since it's not instant then the NCAA isn't working. We heard the exact same comments during the USC investigation and then the majority of people were surprised at how hard USC was hit. Oregon and Miami both have sanctions heading their way.

I guess, it just doesn't seem like a priority and that the NCAA is looking towards more profitable ventures instead, and possibly getting more cozy with entities within state governments. I was wondering out loud about the Miami thing before the season, and everyone here said the NCAA would definitely LAY THE BOOM before the season started. By the time they get to it, there will be zero guilty to punish still at Miami, if there are any now. Edit: We're off track from Sandusky here but in the Miami instance, I can't find the link, but the NCAA president promised this case was different and there's be a fast and decisive response - and that was two years ago. If we're instead on the USC timeline, Miami will what, lose a bunch of scholarships starting in 2016? That's going to deter anything? It's too bad Miami's a private institution, otherwise the NCAA could maybe swindle $50 million or so from the state of Florida instead (though if that was goig to be the case, I'm sure the sanctions would have come down already).

Edit: The whole thing has a lot of shadiness potential - the NCAA could get an outgoing AD or president to "consent" to a $50 million dollar "fine" from taxpayer money, and perhaps the AD or the president gets a cut or a job out of it. (how exactly did Graham Spanier end up with a cushy and secret federal government job? I'm not saying the NCAA directly has that kind of pull, but that job feels like compensation for something.)

Last edited by molson : 01-04-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #2382
Desnudo
Coordinator

Another story showing how pervasive this problem is.

Savile abused 500 children: report
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #2383
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Another story showing how pervasive this problem is.

Savile abused 500 children: report

And there had to have been many, many people along the way who knew and didn't act, and even helped him to conceal - even people who didn't have tangible motives like to help a football team win games. That's how shit was.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #2385
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How has this not been bumped yet?

Report: Insurer alleges child told Joe Paterno of Jerry Sandusky sex abuse in 1976
Old 05-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #2386
bob
College Starter

I posted they story in the college football thread... I don't think people feel like chatting about it anymore.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:35 AM   #2387
Kodos
Resident Alien

Paterno was told of Sandusky's child abuse in 1976: court docs - NY Daily News

Apparently, Paterno knew back in 1976 and never did anything.

Quote:
John Doe 150, according to the newly unsealed court documents, testified that he told Paterno of the sexual assault and the coach ignored his complaint.

“Is it accurate that Coach Paterno quickly said to you, ‘I don’t want to hear about any of that kind of stuff, I have a football season to worry about?'” the victim's lawyer asked him in 2014.

Edit: Oops. Already posted. My bad.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-13-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:49 AM   #2388
Suicane75
Coordinator

The thing that fucks my head up is just how many people seem to have known. Schiano apparently being one of them. I mean, Christ.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:42 AM   #2389
Atocep
Coordinator

What's disturbing is how many Penn State fans are still defending Joe. There are people on the Penn State boards comparing this to the Duke lacrosse scandal. That's really disturbing.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #2390
Suicane75
Coordinator

That thing with the whole statue demand by ex players. It's not just that there are people defending him, but there are A Lot of people defending him. With reverence. In light of all that has come out, it's saddening.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #2391
Kodos
Resident Alien

Freeh Report: Joe Paterno Burning In Hell Right Now - The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Old 07-13-2016, 12:26 PM   #2392
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
That thing with the whole statue demand by ex players. It's not just that there are people defending him, but there are A Lot of people defending him. With reverence. In light of all that has come out, it's saddening.

As a former fan of his, I understand being upset to learn about all of this. I used to have nothing but admiration for Joe Paterno. I thought he was a shining example of integrity in college football. But I was terribly wrong, as history has shown. How can you prioritize being a fan of a football team over the welfare of children who were molested by a pedophile monster?
Old 07-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #2393
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
What's disturbing is how many Penn State fans are still defending Joe. There are people on the Penn State boards comparing this to the Duke lacrosse scandal. That's really disturbing.
Disappointing, but not terribly surprising. When you have a public figure that is praised during the majority of his or her lifetime as a paragon of virtue and someone to be admired, the cognitive dissonance of evidence that destroys that image can be too much for some to absorb.

My wife's parents and uncle are die-hard Penn State fans and I don't think any of them have come to accept that JoePa did anything wrong - it just doesn't compute with how they viewed him for the previous 40 years or so.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #2394
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:50 PM   #2395
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Disappointing, but not terribly surprising. When you have a public figure that is praised during the majority of his or her lifetime as a paragon of virtue and someone to be admired, the cognitive dissonance of evidence that destroys that image can be too much for some to absorb.

My wife's parents and uncle are die-hard Penn State fans and I don't think any of them have come to accept that JoePa did anything wrong - it just doesn't compute with how they viewed him for the previous 40 years or so.

Plus the standard irrationality that comes with big-time sports fandom. It's a bad mix.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:05 PM   #2396
spleen1015
Coordinator

I work with a guy that graduated from Penn St. and he's pretty much willing to fight anyone that lays any blame on Paterno. Completely irrational.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #2397
Suicane75
Coordinator

Penn State has always been "my team" when it comes to College Football. The first college game I ever watched was the 82 Sugar Bowl against Georgia, I still remember the conversations I had with my Uncle during that game. I loved Penn State, I loved Paterno. But you have to be a special kind of irrational to not see things how they really are/were.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:38 PM   #2398
Kodos
Resident Alien

They were my #2 team behind Indiana. Now I feel so conflicted about them. My brother went to school there and loves PSU. I can't imagine how he feels. I feel embarrassed about Bob Knight's antics at IU. The Sandusky scandal makes Bobby's actions seem perfectly acceptable.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-13-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:56 PM   #2399
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Apparently Sandusky's kid, Jeffery was arrested today of sexually assaulting a child:

Sandusky’s son arrested, accused of sexually assaulting a child | WKRN News 2

Quote:
Pennsylvania State Police have arrested Jeffrey Sandusky, the 41-year-old adopted son of former Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky, and charged him with sexually assaulting a child.

Quote:
Pennsylvania State Police began an investigation in November 2016 after a child claimed to have received text messages from Jeffrey Sandusky, including some that asked for naked photographs.

According to state police, Jeffrey Sandusky was dating the child’s mother and had lived in the residence for about five years.

The explicit text messages where shared with the child’s father, who then notified police.

According to the criminal complaint, a second child was also abused dating back to 2013.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #2400
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

This is purely reckless speculation, but since abuse victims have an alarmingly high rate of retrovert abuse themselves; I cant help but wonder, given what we know about his adopted father, if Jeffrey wasnt one of the elder Sandusky's numerous victims.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote