Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-14-2020, 11:59 AM   #23801
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
So if the GOP runs a Jewish woman won't that cut into the misogynism and Nazi sympathizer angle that every other GOP candidate is usually painted with?

Just don't see it happening but I guess I will back off you guys being nuts and just stick with people in general being nuts if >1% would support either as a candidate for President of the United States. Personally I have no fear of it happening as...

1) Trump isn't winning in 2020
2) If he did Mike Pence would run in 2024 as running either of the other two would be giving up the race.

I want this to be true. I just see a consolidation and subversion of power going on. Trump is the tinsel to distract while the damage is being done.

Quote:
dola: and for those wondering about how some of us are convinced that Trump will win in 2020, this is my answer at least.

In one week, the DOJ refused to prosecute someone who helped Russia interfere in our elections and took steps to prosecute a sitting Senator who was willing to confirm that Russia tried to interfere in our elections.

Add a 5-4 GOP SCOTUS to that mix, and you've got at minimum 4 more years.

Bold emphasis is mine.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams

Last edited by Qwikshot : 05-14-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:33 PM   #23802
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Fox Business interview with Trump ended with the question, why are you so popular?

lol
Old 05-14-2020, 02:40 PM   #23803
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
dola: and for those wondering about how some of us are convinced that Trump will win in 2020, this is my answer at least.

In one week, the DOJ refused to prosecute someone who helped Russia interfere in our elections and took steps to prosecute a sitting Senator who was willing to confirm that Russia tried to interfere in our elections.

Add a 5-4 GOP SCOTUS to that mix, and you've got 4 more years.
This, this, this. Wide spread voter suppression in key states back by a legal system that is totally in Trump's back pocket. I have a hard time seeing how anybody feels good about the chance to beat Trump. I will not believe he will lose till he does.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 02:44 PM   #23804
thesloppy
Pro Starter

If Trump Is Down In The Polls, Why Do So Many Americans Think He’ll Win? | FiveThirtyEight
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:49 PM   #23805
Atocep
Coordinator

It's not a coincidence Trump is pushing Obamagate as a thing now

Quote:
Joe Biden used the federal government to ILLEGALLY SPY on my 2016 campaign and to further the Russian Collusion Delusion. Can you believe it?

First, I was accused of colluding with the Russians.
Next, the Democrats wasted your time and money with a 3-YEAR WITCH HUNT.
Then, they IMPEACHED ME for being a perfect President.
After that, I was ACQUITTED (I did nothing wrong).
And now, there is evidence showing that Sleepy Joe is the GUILTY one.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:58 PM   #23806
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I'm just tired of the morons who claim the ACA was just a giveaway to the insurance companies when for about a decade I've been enforcing the ACA against insurance companies who try to get around the mandates of the ACA (usually they try to play fast and loose with what is considered preventive care). No insurance company attorney I've interviewed actually likes the ACA (though they always say they want to follow it... though then they interpret it in strange ways). In addition, prior to the ACA, the federal government hardly went after the insurance companies, as that was considered a state issue. Not to mention the original law had Medicaid expansion required (struck down by the Supreme Court).

The top 7 private health insurance companies made $35 billion last year in profits.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:05 PM   #23807
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Seriously? I've seen this a few times on here the last couple of days there really is some sort of fear of a monarchy with Don Jr. or Ivanka as the new dictator/king/queen? LOL, too much Game of Thrones watching I guess?

Trump has a cult following and whoever he tells his flock to vote for, they will. If he throws all his support behind his son or daughter, do you really not think they would be the favorite? He's made every Republican but Romney bend the knee and I imagine would scare off many people who would challenge his kid.

Don Jr has the better chance because he's male and more obnoxiously stupid. Ivanka is fairly quiet and I just don't see her doing well in a demographic that doesn't care much for women or Jews.

Quote:
Yep, she's the de facto head of the party is she not? If they decide to run with AOC and Sanders ideas guess who implements it?

Their politics are near polar opposites.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:17 PM   #23808
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I mean we did recently elect the dullard son of a previous President, based largely on their collective adjacency to a man in mental decline, who became famous by making movies with monkeys. Let's not give ourselves too much credit.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-14-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:13 PM   #23809
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The top 7 private health insurance companies made $35 billion last year in profits.

Here's a super fun report from the National Association of Insurance Companies, which shows health insurance profits dropped every year from 2011 to 2015. Quite significantly actually. Profits rebounded in 2016, but then positively skyrocketed in 2017 and 2018 (and has continued - and this is before the ending of the individual mandate).

https://naic.org/documents/topic_ins...ind_report.pdf

Hmm, I wonder what happened in early 2017.

(Also to note that insurance companies actually lost money on Comprehensive Hospital and Medical plans in 2014, 2015, and 2016.)
Old 05-15-2020, 07:02 AM   #23810
QuikSand
lolzcat

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ership/611719/
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:04 AM   #23811
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

This kinda fits with that: Results | International Survey on Coronavirus

(yes, limited sample, online, from early April, yadda yadda. Still, interesting to see. )
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-15-2020 at 09:09 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:08 PM   #23812
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Vaccine or no vaccine, we're back. - Trump

Good luck with that.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:07 PM   #23813
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker
Trump has a cult following and whoever he tells his flock to vote for, they will. If he throws all his support behind his son or daughter, do you really not think they would be the favorite? He's made every Republican but Romney bend the knee and I imagine would scare off many people who would challenge his kid.

McCain, Amash, and various others on multiple issues say hello. So does literally every election held since he took office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
for those wondering about how some of us are convinced that Trump will win in 2020, this is my answer at least.

Add a 5-4 GOP SCOTUS to that mix, and you've got 4 more years.

That only matters - practically, it matters constitutionally, moraly, etc. in all cases - in an extremely close election, which is historically rare. Such efforts simply cannot effect major swings, which is what Trump would need unless what happens in November is markedly different than what has happened in every.single.other.election.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-15-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:38 PM   #23814
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Anyone notice how the GOP has had to walk back "Obama didn't leave Trump a pandemic plan" to "Obama left Trump an inadequate pandemic plan" because Trump was so unprepared that he didn't even realize that there was a plan that he ignored until he starting talking about it not existing and then people pointed out that it did?

Anyone also notice how GOP approval of the President remains high and unchanged, so I'm really just wasting electrons by posting here about his gobsmacking incompetence that is killing tens of thousands of Americans and made the entire two months of social distancing we all did pointless?

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 05-15-2020 at 02:42 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:41 PM   #23815
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
what happens in November is markedly different than what has happened in every.single.other.election.

Is Ron DeSantis deciding at the last minute to close down polling places in Democratic neighborhoods for "public health" reasons and the Supreme Court 5-4 saying that's fine really that much of a stretch? It seems more likely than not to me at this point.

And it also looks like this will be a close election. Biden is polling slightly better than Hillary did. That's not the makings of a landslide either way--even if things were fairly contested.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:50 PM   #23816
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know it’s Sportsdigs level old but how did all that Katie Hill stuff never garner a mention here. Home girl was banging a paid staffer girl among other nonsense
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:33 PM   #23817
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I know it’s Sportsdigs level old but how did all that Katie Hill stuff never garner a mention here. Home girl was banging a paid staffer girl among other nonsense

Honestly, that's a pretty awesome story. Not really sure, other than a lot of personal drama and interpersonal baggage, what the big deal is.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:46 PM   #23818
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Honestly, that's a pretty awesome story. Not really sure, other than a lot of personal drama and interpersonal baggage, what the big deal is.

Wait, what? At the very least she was in a position of power of the staffer she was having the affairs with (while the Kelly thing was not true, the Morgan thing was).

What happened to her was ridiculously fucked up, but let's not act like she did nothing wrong here:

Quote:
Putting aside the leering, though, the story is appalling and sad. By her own account, Hill engaged in a profound breach of responsibility by engaging in a sexual relationship with someone who was working for her—and by doing so while running for public office. “The mistakes I made that brought me to this moment will haunt me for the rest of my life,” she said this afternoon in her final speech on the House floor. Members of Congress are no stranger to bad behavior. But in a time when Americans are remapping the difficult landscape of sex and power in the workplace, it would be willfully naive to shove aside the uncomfortable dynamics of Hill’s relationship with a staffer who was almost a decade her junior, and a recent college graduate.

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/601198/

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-15-2020 at 04:56 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:12 PM   #23819
PilotMan
Head Coach

And yet, they were all adults. She showed some very poor judgement regarding her ambition and her personal life, and she fucked up mixing things up. Yet, so much of what she did, has been done by men before, and she's paying the price for some of it by being a woman. There is a certain double standard here. I ended up marrying a woman who was my employee at one point. It's common, it happens, it was still against the rules. It did work out for me in the end. The staffer was knowingly putting herself in that position as well. Still, they simply showed the sort of judgement that we see everywhere up and down the spectrum of rich to poor of people who end up doing ID (as in Freud's ID) related things and fully believe that they will never pay the price for them. Plus, from my own perspective, my wife has already said that any public office runs are strictly out the question for us.

Like Steam?

Old 05-15-2020, 05:27 PM   #23820
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
Is Ron DeSantis deciding at the last minute to close down polling places in Democratic neighborhoods for "public health" reasons and the Supreme Court 5-4 saying that's fine really that much of a stretch? It seems more likely than not to me at this point.

Yes. I don't think we've seen anything close to that. Terrible, illegal stuff, but nowhere near that level.

On it being a close election; 2016 was the only time in modern history that a candidate won as much as Hillary did in the popular vote and lost. Nothing else has even come close. At least Michigan and Wisconsin - I don't know as much about Pennsylvania - aren't nearly as friendly to Trump as they were. As in, the GOP has been getting their clock cleaned hard. And without those states, Trump has no chance.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:09 PM   #23821
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yet, so much of what she did, has been done by men before

Which is exactly the reason it's not ok anymore. Male politicians abused their power and position for decades and centuries. Which is why the acceptance of the practice was changed.

It doesn't make it ok that men used to get away with it. The whole point is that it should not be acceptable anymore. If we are going to acknowledge unequal power dynamics we should do it for all folks.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2020, 06:15 PM   #23822
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Yes. I don't think we've seen anything close to that. Terrible, illegal stuff, but nowhere near that level.

Certainly haven't seen anything like closing a bunch of voting locations and then forcing people to stand in line for hours to vote during a pandemic.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:27 PM   #23823
Flasch186
Coordinator

The multiple standards track is so intriguing to me. One group can literally get away with almost anything (with time) and the other has to be a saint. I hate it both ways.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:59 PM   #23824
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Which is exactly the reason it's not ok anymore. Male politicians abused their power and position for decades and centuries. Which is why the acceptance of the practice was changed.

It doesn't make it ok that men used to get away with it. The whole point is that it should not be acceptable anymore. If we are going to acknowledge unequal power dynamics we should do it for all folks.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

But the aide was also in a relationship with the man too wasn't she? He wasn't her boss.

Now, here, I'm being a bit purposely obtuse. I know they were a 'married' package, and one could conclude that the two could be perceived as one, but it doesn't necessarily mean that either.

It's always a complicated situation they either should have dealt with before they decided a life in the public was the way they wanted things to go. Unless, they were all going the same direction all along and they all thought they were going to benefit from it, which is completely understandable too. We don't really know the depths of that. Guys boinked and continue to boink their secretaries all the time. Pilots and flight attendants. Each person needs to be held to the appropriate standard for their line of work, but again, that doesn't necessarily mean that people were abusing their situation either.

Like Steam?

Old 05-15-2020, 10:02 PM   #23825
Atocep
Coordinator

Another IG down. Trump fires the state department IG.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:51 PM   #23826
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It's a shame that Dems aren't allowed to do anything more than write angry tweets.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #23827
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The horrible thing about the Katie Hill situation was the revenge-porn angle. I wonder if she would have had to resign without. Having the picture gave it the national attention that forced action.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:41 AM   #23828
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It's a shame that Dems aren't allowed to do anything more than write angry tweets.

It'll be really fun when the Supreme Court starts dismantling the administrative state starting in the summer session so a unitary executive will have even more unchecked power to do something like this

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:11 AM   #23829
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The horrible thing about the Katie Hill situation was the revenge-porn angle. I wonder if she would have had to resign without. Having the picture gave it the national attention that forced action.

Bingo

Like Steam?

Old 05-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #23830
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

I'm pretty sure she would have. This was a year after the Me Too rules on sexual affairs with Congressional staffers was enacted. Now Hill's conduct wouldn't have fallen under this since it was a Campaign staffer instead, but was still seen as unethical among Democrats at the time.

Remember she resigned the same year as Franken did due to Me Too concerns. I'm positive she'd be pressured to stepped down.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:55 PM   #23831
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Amash announced he isn't going to run after all.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:59 PM   #23832
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Weird how the President keeps retweeting white supremacists.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:06 PM   #23833
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Great news for Biden.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:09 PM   #23834
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Is he going to throw his support to Vermin Supreme?
Old 05-16-2020, 04:04 PM   #23835
PilotMan
Head Coach

A well written and examined piece about Q anon, where it came from, and where it's going. Doesn't seem worth your time at first glace, but it raises some thoughts in ones head.

QAnon Is More Important Than You Think - The Atlantic

Like Steam?

Old 05-16-2020, 06:38 PM   #23836
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
A well written and examined piece about Q anon, where it came from, and where it's going. Doesn't seem worth your time at first glace, but it raises some thoughts in ones head.

QAnon Is More Important Than You Think - The Atlantic

Interesting article PM, I did not realize how much of their movement is centered around the evangelical right. I clicked one of the links there to see the current list of Q candidates that are running/have run for Congress. All but one Republican or independent/Libertarian. Thankfully most of them have lost or dropped out already.

Last edited by Thomkal : 05-16-2020 at 06:58 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:34 PM   #23837
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

So Trump retweets and shows support for a Neo-Nazi. One son posts that Biden is a pedophile. And the other goes on Fox News claiming this virus is all a hoax.

Wonderful day in America.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:27 PM   #23838
bronconick
College Starter

bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:01 AM   #23839
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"After Nov. 3, coronavirus will magically all of the sudden go away & disappear & everybody will be able to reopen. [Dems] are trying to deprive him of his greatest asset."

Eric Trump says the virus is a hoax.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:26 AM   #23840
Flasch186
Coordinator

When will we ever hit the bottom of the morality expected or accepted from the greatest and highest office in the world (or used to be)?

If and when someone else claims the office I'm certain the GOP and the cult of personality around Trump will raise the bar of expectations dramatically.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-17-2020, 09:08 AM   #23841
QuikSand
lolzcat

When the Senate voted to acquit, people were saying things like "now they will feel like they can just do anything they want," and it was genuinely hard to imagine what that would look like.

No reason to think this is as bad as it could get, but the picture is coming together. Just shameless. And I realize this isn't news, nor is this story going to change the mind of anyone in the cult.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:59 AM   #23842
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Susan Collins is concerned.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:59 AM   #23843
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
When the Senate voted to acquit, people were saying things like "now they will feel like they can just do anything they want," and it was genuinely hard to imagine what that would look like.

No reason to think this is as bad as it could get, but the picture is coming together. Just shameless. And I realize this isn't news, nor is this story going to change the mind of anyone in the cult.

Every time Trump does something since his impeachment trial, people retweet Susan Collins' "I'm sure he's learned his lesson" quote. Took two years to go from "Lean GOP" edge that she had for a decade to probably the 3rd most vulnerable Senator behind Jones and Gardner this November
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #23844
Flasch186
Coordinator

Just pray that no one in the Supreme Court announces retirement

I’m sure McConnell would never put through a nomination in an election year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-17-2020, 10:11 AM   #23845
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Just pray that no one in the Supreme Court announces retirement

I’m sure McConnell would never put through a nomination in an election year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If only the Obama administration had left them instructions on what to do if that does happen.

Like Steam?

Old 05-17-2020, 11:30 AM   #23846
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
If only the Obama administration had left them instructions on what to do if that does happen.

Well, you mean, put it into a binder, right?
Old 05-17-2020, 11:40 AM   #23847
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

They were just loose pages. How could you hold on to them all?

Reminds me of the videos of white people struggling in infomercials.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:20 PM   #23848
QuikSand
lolzcat

What is awesome/horrifying is that I'm sure it was effective, for their purposes.

WH: Oh sure, we got caught in a complete lie saying they didn't leave us a plan, but seriously, look at these papers, that doesn't even count.

Cult45: Damn that Obama, But Her Emails, Lock Her Up, whatever we're doing now...
Old 05-17-2020, 04:00 PM   #23850
thesloppy
Pro Starter

They are just going full carnival barker on Obamagate. A crime so obvious and significant that we're still waiting for someone, anyone to define it.

Trump selling his own snake oil is one thing, but to see talking heads repeatedly try and frame this entirely undefined fart as "the biggest political scandal in American history!!" with a straight face is not entirely surprising, yet still somehow feels like a new low.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-17-2020 at 04:02 PM.