Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-11-2022, 07:26 AM   #23551
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I was flipping through my Google News feed and came across an article from a couple of days ago on Jalopnik titled "I've been using my turn signals all wrong" and I figured, surely there's something new and surprising that I've missed out on, so I clicked the link.

No, no there was not. Some dude either with a total lack of awareness/shame or the most honest person in the world - I can't decide which - wrote an article about how he just realized his BMW turn signals did not need to be depressed all the way to signal, that if you press them lightly they will signal 2-4 times and you won't have to manually turn them off. And then he casually made some comment about how this isn't just a BMW thing either, many modern cars have this feature. And then he proceeds to explain how to use turn signals as if the person reading this was a recently-thawed Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.

W. T. F.!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:13 AM   #23552
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Back in the '90s, my Dad's Mazda 626 did not have automatic cancellation of turn signals. Once you were done turning, you always had to move the stalk back into the "neutral" setting.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:19 AM   #23553
cuervo72
Head Coach

Something in our '98 Cherokee broke and the turn signal wound up that way. It served as a starter car for both the kids, and when they graduated to newer cars it took some adjustment on their parts. (The younger actually complained that the new Cherokee's turns off too easily -- probably times when you ready yourself to make a turn but have to wait and the wheel re-centers just enough to turn the thing off.)
Old 08-11-2022, 08:33 AM   #23554
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I had a Mazda Tribute that when you put the turn signal on the brights flashed. Almost got me killed a few times before it got fixed
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:34 AM   #23555
Ksyrup

Right, this dude painstakingly explained how you can fully turn them on and then turn and they would automatically reset to off, but then there's this amazing new "life hack" he'd never heard of where you can just lightly press the stalk for lane changes and such and it blew him away.

My first impression was - if I was just learning that that existed, I'd keep it to myself, not write an article about it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-12-2022, 05:43 PM   #23556
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
And yes, they have the restaurant app on their phone that will get them stuff for free or at a discount.

I like Whoppers. And BK sometimes has 2 for 1 with their app.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:14 PM   #23557
Critch
lolzcat

How come Salman Rushdie didnt get his own thread? Are we waiting to see if he qualifies for the RIP Famous People thread? Or is he just more famous in the UK than here?

Last edited by Critch : 08-12-2022 at 07:15 PM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:31 PM   #23558
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
How come Salman Rushdie didnt get his own thread? Are we waiting to see if he qualifies for the RIP Famous People thread? Or is he just more famous in the UK than here?

I wasn't sure where to post it.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:38 PM   #23559
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Same. I thought about posting it here. Idk if it is big enough for its own thread. It looks pretty awful.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:17 AM   #23560
Edward64
Head Coach

There can only be one!

Don't really need Cavill or a big star to do the remake, I'm just happy it may become a reality.

The original movie & originality was great for its time but looking back now, Christopher Lambert sucked, his acting and swordplay was ridiculous. The storyline was what sucked me in.

https://sffgazette.com/fantasy/movie...1949#gs.8hczs4
Quote:
Henry Cavill was in early talks to star in a new Highlander movie. The franchise has been on the shelf for years, but the likes of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and The Witcher have proven the British actor has great grasp of the action and fantasy realms.

John Wick director Chad Stahelski is expected to helm the movie that will be a modern retelling of Connor MacLeod's centuries-old feud with his fellow powerful immortals. They're fighting to the death in an effort to absorb each other's powers because, and we're sure the concept will be familiar to you even if you haven't watched the 1986 original, there can be "only one."
Quote:
As for whether Cavill is still attached to star, the filmmaker would only say that the actor is "one of my big choices." He went on to add, "It's not just about muscles and brooding. I think he's got an incredible range and I think he'd bring something very special. And his enthusiasm has been amazing in it."
Old 08-13-2022, 06:41 PM   #23561
GrantDawg

Highlander really was a fantastic movie for its day. I think the an updated version done right would be outstanding. Better, set as a trilogy, so you can spend some real time in different time periods. As a matter of fact, just let me write it. I don't trust anybody else.
Old 08-13-2022, 06:48 PM   #23562
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I feel like future movie news deserves its own thread
Old 08-13-2022, 06:51 PM   #23563
Ksyrup

They opened a couple of Joella's Hot Chicken places in Lexington so we tried it out. Meh. The customer service was bad - I believe only two people were working and we waited 2 minutes before anyone came out from the back to take our order, and the girl who did... she looked/acted like she had just woke up. While we were waiting for our food, another guy came in, waited for 3-4 minutes at the counter, and walked out when no one showed up to take his order.

As far as the food, it was OK but nothing special. My wife doesn't want to go back. I'd eat it again, but a place called Dave's Hot Chicken also just opened here so I'd try that one first before going back to Joella's.
Old 08-13-2022, 06:59 PM   #23564
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
They opened a couple of Joella's Hot Chicken places in Lexington so we tried it out. Meh. The customer service was bad - I believe only two people were working and we waited 2 minutes before anyone came out from the back to take our order, and the girl who did... she looked/acted like she had just woke up. While we were waiting for our food, another guy came in, waited for 3-4 minutes at the counter, and walked out when no one showed up to take his order.

As far as the food, it was OK but nothing special. My wife doesn't want to go back. I'd eat it again, but a place called Dave's Hot Chicken also just opened here so I'd try that one first before going back to Joella's.

We've done Joella's here, only because my wife can have a vegan dinner there and those places are few and far between. I think it's a bit overpriced for what you get otherwise. I tried their hottest chicken and I frequently eat hot things, and this was entirely inedible and had to be tossed.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:03 AM   #23565
Ksyrup

Each time I open my Twitter app and see "What's Happening," I read it less and less like an invitation to share some mundane thought or activity from my life and more like an existentially nihilistic rhetorical question.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:13 PM   #23566
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, which one of you stole my cutting board?
Old 08-16-2022, 07:57 AM   #23567
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kinda shook that “Horse with No Name” is not a Neil Young or CSNY song.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:47 AM   #23568
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Outside the government I wonder who owns the most vehicles in the US. Amazon? Some rental car company?
Old 08-16-2022, 08:56 AM   #23569
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm not a Miller fan but might just try this.

Where to Buy Miller High Life x Tipsy Scoop's Dive Bar Ice Cream Bar | FN Dish - Behind-the-Scenes, Food Trends, and Best Recipes : Food Network | Food Network
Quote:
In honor of the institution that is dive bars and the 100th anniversary of the ice cream bar, Miller High Life partnered with Tipsy Scoop to create the Ice Cream Dive Bar. This ice cream is, of course, infused with High Life, but also a peanut swirl to reflect the peanut shells always found on the floor of those bars, a bit of tobacco smoke flavor, as well as a caramel swirl, sprinkle of carbonated candy and a dark chocolate dip.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:59 AM   #23570
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Outside the government I wonder who owns the most vehicles in the US. Amazon? Some rental car company?

Apparently AT&T has the largest "private fleet".

StackPath
Old 08-16-2022, 09:05 AM   #23571
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Apparently AT&T has the largest "private fleet".

StackPath

How is UPS or Fed-Ex not on that list?
Old 08-16-2022, 09:13 AM   #23572
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
How is UPS or Fed-Ex not on that list?

Hmmm, you are right. You'd think they should be in the list.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:39 AM   #23573
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Kinda shook that “Horse with No Name” is not a Neil Young or CSNY song.

This brings me back to the early days of pirated MP3s, when the folks would tag MP3s with their best guest of the artist/song/album. "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer - by Kenny Rogers" and such.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:55 AM   #23574
Ksyrup

I've always loved the band America. That was one of those bands I wore out my dad's old LPs of in the late 70s/early 80s as I was getting into music. Sister Golden Hair Surprise is a great song.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:39 PM   #23575
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yep, "Sister Golden Hair" is a song that always takes me back to my very young days. Nothing specific, just that '70s feel.
Old 08-16-2022, 02:18 PM   #23576
thesloppy
Pro Starter

In my "America songs you thought were by someone else" file, for many, many years I thought "You Can Do Magic" was a Starship song.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:37 PM   #23577
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Nothing better than waking from a midday summer nap to your kids screaming because your dog killed a groundhog.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:51 PM   #23578
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
In my "America songs you thought were by someone else" file, for many, many years I thought "You Can Do Magic" was a Starship song.

As I recall, that was their last hit and first one since one of the main guys left the band like 5 years earlier. It was released in the early 80s. It was written by the guy who wrote Since You Been Gone, recorded by Rainbow but was originally on his own solo album.

EDIT: Looked it up and his name is Russ Ballard.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:55 PM   #23579
miami_fan
Coordinator

How the hell are bank robberies still a thing in 2022?

Hillsborough deputies seek help identifying Brandon bank robber
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:19 PM   #23580
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Dude was / is kind of a beast, and probably has more recognizable songs for other artists than for himself.

The voice of Argent, he's who you hear on their hit "Hold Your Head Up" as well as the original version of "God Gave Rock and Roll To You" (before Kiss covered).

But among numerous other credits include Kiss/Ace Frehley staple "New York Groove" and ABBA singer Anni-Frid Lyngstad's 1982 solo hit: "I Know There's Something Going On"

And as a solo act, he had reasonable success with a 1984 track "Voices", which hit after being featured in a Miami Vice episode.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:51 PM   #23581
Ksyrup

Yeah, I vaguely remember him having a connection to KISS. I forgot about the Argent connection.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:11 PM   #23582
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
As I recall, that was their last hit and first one since one of the main guys left the band like 5 years earlier. It was released in the early 80s. It was written by the guy who wrote Since You Been Gone, recorded by Rainbow but was originally on his own solo album.

Interesting. Explains why I didn't hear it as a 'classic' America song.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:33 PM   #23583
GrantDawg

Why UPS and Amazon don't have the largest private fleet: lots of the trucks you see are privately owned by subcontractors. Even ones emblazoned with their emblem are actually owned by small private contractors. I'm really surprised that isn't true of AT&T, because many utility companies also subcontract much of their work.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2022, 05:13 AM   #23584
miami_fan
Coordinator

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/16/us/li...bed/index.html

First and foremost, I hope the kid get better soon and does not suffer any long term effects from this injury. Full stop.

To paraphrase Paul Harvey, I am curious about the rest of the story.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:28 PM   #23585
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Giving Coke Dreamworld a slight thumbs up. I liked Marshmello’s flavor more but this one is pretty drinkable. Plus they make a 12 pack of the mini cans
Old 08-17-2022, 02:33 PM   #23586
Ksyrup

My wife just bought a Dreamworld and it's chilling in the fridge. Gonna try it tonight.

I was not a fan of Marshmello due to the aftertaste, but I still enjoy Starlight. I'm the only one I know, though...

Actually, I've drastically cut back on pop since coming back from vacation. I've always known what the studies say about zero calorie pop (mostly the dark colored kind), that even though it's zero calories, it tricks your body into thinking it's real sugar and acts to expand your waistline. And while that's probably not the sole reason for my waistline being what it is, it doesn't help. So I'm only drinking 2 or 3 cans a week instead of at least 1-2 a day.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:44 PM   #23587
Ksyrup

I just tried a few swigs of Dreamworld. Is that... pineapple/mango? It's a bit weird. Not sure I can drink much of it.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:51 PM   #23588
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I tried only the regular but yeah it’s citrus of some sort.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:11 PM   #23589
Kodos
Resident Alien

Well, I just finished the Harry Potter books. Well-done series. Wish I hadn’t known about Snape…
Old 08-17-2022, 08:43 PM   #23590
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Well, I just finished the Harry Potter books. Well-done series. Wish I hadn’t known about Snape…

Yeah, the depth of that series is remarkable. It works well as YA, but it's so deep that there's a lot in it even if you prefer literary fiction. You can share it with your kids, and you don't have to pretend it's interesting. I've never read anything else like it.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:42 AM   #23591
Edward64
Head Coach

This would freak me out.

New Zealand: Children's remains found in suitcases bought by family at auction, police say | CNN
Quote:
New Zealand police have launched a homicide investigation after the remains of two children were found in suitcases bought by a family at an online auction, police said Thursday.

In a statement, police said they were alerted to the case last week when the family from the South Auckland suburb of Manurewa reported finding human body parts in several items they bought from a storage facility.

The family is not connected to the children's deaths, police said, and they are "understandably distressed."

The children -- likely to have been between ages 5 and 10 -- may have been dead for a number of years, perhaps three or four, Detective Inspector Tofilau Faamanuia Vaaelua said at a news conference on Thursday.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:34 AM   #23592
Ksyrup

Now THAT's an episode of Storage Wars I might actually watch.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:05 AM   #23593
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Now THAT's an episode of Storage Wars I might actually watch.

Law and Order SVU: Storage Wars
Old 08-18-2022, 08:11 AM   #23594
Ksyrup

I can hear that Dave dude now: Yuuuuck!
Old 08-18-2022, 08:12 AM   #23595
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm trying to figure out how to work in "festival of my birth" into my OOO message since I'm taking off a couple of days around my birthday this year

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:36 AM   #23596
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I can hear that Dave dude now: Yuuuuck!

YUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!
Old 08-18-2022, 09:00 PM   #23597
tarcone
Coordinator

So my Asst. Principal is saying that 2 large neighboring school districts have put litter boxes in the bathrooms of their schools. The custodians are expected to clean these boxes.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:11 PM   #23598
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
So my Asst. Principal is saying that 2 large neighboring school districts have put litter boxes in the bathrooms of their schools. The custodians are expected to clean these boxes.

You're s***ting me

Last edited by NobodyHere : 08-18-2022 at 09:11 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:13 PM   #23599
Kodos
Resident Alien

Just make sure you hit the box.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:13 PM   #23600
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
You're s***ting me

Use the box, please.