Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #2301
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
They are still constantly used as an example, though. If you can win a championship as often as BOS (and almost as often as NYY) for a much lower price tag over the course of 10 years, how can you blame them?
I feel like I've argued this same thing 6 times at FOFC by now, but it really says something that 2 of the 3 examples that come to mind when people discuss the need for a salary cap have been 2 of the most successful franchises in the game over the past decade (and another, Tampa Bay, just made the WS.)

KC has been in the weakest division for the past decade and struggled not because of revenues or spending, but because of poor management and bad luck, which may be changing.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:34 AM   #2302
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

This salary floor thing is not going to happen if the floor is enacted to be similar to the NFLs which I would assume would be used by the union as a guide. The NFL floor is 87.6% of the cap. If MLB were to make the cap $130M, the floor would be $114M. That's not going to happen.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #2303
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
This salary floor thing is not going to happen if the floor is enacted to be similar to the NFLs which I would assume would be used by the union as a guide. The NFL floor is 87.6% of the cap. If MLB were to make the cap $130M, the floor would be $114M. That's not going to happen.

That's more likely than a cap being anywhere lower than $130M.

I don't see how you can do a cap/floor in MLB without relocating/contracting teams. There's just too much revenue difference for it to be meaningful. And the union isn't going to (and shouldn't) leave hundreds of millions on the table by taking away the checkbook of the big market teams to any real degree by imposing a restrictive cap.

The owners have made headway in revenue sharing though - that's the most realistic place to continue making progress.

Last edited by molson : 06-19-2009 at 11:39 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #2304
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

If a cap were set at $130m or so it'd basically be an anti-Yankees thing which feels kind of wrong even though I don't like that team. The Mets and Cubs are around $135m and everyone else is at $120m and below.

$25m per year in revenue sharing is a lot of money for the smaller clubs as it as, but if the perception remains that competitive balance is an issue they could always increase it. I just don't trust all of the owners to put that money towards the amateur draft, free agents, international scouting, etc.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #2305
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
$25m per year in revenue sharing is a lot of money for the smaller clubs as it as, but if the perception remains that competitive balance is an issue they could always increase it. I just don't trust all of the owners to put that money towards the amateur draft, free agents, international scouting, etc.

This is an outdated argument (owners pocketing revenue sharing money). There were some additional rules instituted in the latest agreement due to those concerns that keep owners from just stuffing all the money in their pocket. I remember David Glass specifically talking about how other owners that were doing that were hurting the revenue sharing argument, so most of the small market teams now face penalties or a reduction in revenue sharing if they don't use it.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #2306
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Marco Scutaro steals second after a walk.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #2307
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
This is an outdated argument (owners pocketing revenue sharing money). There were some additional rules instituted in the latest agreement due to those concerns that keep owners from just stuffing all the money in their pocket. I remember David Glass specifically talking about how other owners that were doing that were hurting the revenue sharing argument, so most of the small market teams now face penalties or a reduction in revenue sharing if they don't use it.

Glad they fixed the problem then.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #2308
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Glad they fixed the problem then.

Well, I don't know it it's fixed per se, but the big market teams refused to buy into it without some assurance that they wouldn't just pocket the money. Righfully so.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #2309
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Classy move by the fans at Fenway tonight as D-Lowe walked off the mound just now, giving him a standing ovation in memory of 2004, and he tipped his cap and acknowledged them. Love it.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #2310
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Classy move by the fans at Fenway tonight as D-Lowe walked off the mound just now, giving him a standing ovation in memory of 2004, and he tipped his cap and acknowledged them. Love it.

A lot easier to do that when you're up 3-0, but still nice nonetheless.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #2311
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
A lot easier to do that when you're up 3-0, but still nice nonetheless.

he got one at the beginning of the game too apparently, but i was eating dinner so i missed it
Old 06-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #2312
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
he got one at the beginning of the game too apparently, but i was eating dinner so i missed it

He got standing ovations when he went to the bullpen to warm up and went he went to the mound in the first inning. Definitely a classy move.....as much as it pains me to give Boston fans any credit for anything
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #2313
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I feel like I've argued this same thing 6 times at FOFC by now, but it really says something that 2 of the 3 examples that come to mind when people discuss the need for a salary cap have been 2 of the most successful franchises in the game over the past decade (and another, Tampa Bay, just made the WS.)

KC has been in the weakest division for the past decade and struggled not because of revenues or spending, but because of poor management and bad luck, which may be changing.

Baseball's revenue structure doesn't make it impossible for small market teams to compete, just far more difficult. The last time I looked it was something like two thirds of the playoff teams over the past few years were in the top third of payrolls. Having a higher payroll gives you a better chance to make the playoffs.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #2314
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm at borderline man love status in regards to Andrew McCutchen.

Triple number 4 in 3 weeks. Plus s highlight reel catch in center.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #2315
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Having a higher payroll gives you a better chance to make the playoffs.

But doesn't that make a good bit of sense? I mean, better players tend to make more money & better players (in theory) tend to improve your chance to make the playoffs. But that bit of "duh" isn't why I posted.

Instead, I was wondering if anyone had ever broken out the numbers for teams who make the playoffs for the first time in a few years & where those teams were in the salary structure at that point. What I'm wondering about is how the escalation of salaries after players have success and their teams reach the playoffs in multiple seasons affects a stat like salary rank of teams in the playoffs. Think Braves at the beginning of their post-season streak with young & lower paid Smoltz & Glavine vs years later when they were pulling down a lot more money.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #2316
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This is why I don't watch a ton on baseball-
Jim Tracy brings out the pitcher from last inning to throw the warmup tosses between innings.
Then goes to his closer, who I guess was "not ready"

So we go back for 2 more minutes of commercials.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #2317
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Also Huston Street can apparently go to the mouth between every pitch. I thought that was supposed to be a ball?
Old 06-20-2009, 11:18 PM   #2318
kingfc22
Head Coach

Another good outing by Cain. Too bad the Giants have also only scored one run through 10 innings.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #2319
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm at borderline man love status in regards to Andrew McCutchen.

Triple number 4 in 3 weeks. Plus s highlight reel catch in center.

Andrew McCutchen is the man. I think he'll give Colby Rasmus and Tommy Hanson a serious run for NL RoY.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:08 AM   #2320
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Also Huston Street can apparently go to the mouth between every pitch. I thought that was supposed to be a ball?

If I recall the rule, if he goes to his mouth while on the rubber, it's a ball.

Off the rubber has a little leeway I believe.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:29 AM   #2321
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
If I recall the rule, if he goes to his mouth while on the rubber, it's a ball.

Off the rubber has a little leeway I believe.

Ah, i was thinking that. Regardless it's semantics, it's not like spit dries up in that extra 3 seconds.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #2322
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That's freaking awesome.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #2323
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
That's freaking awesome.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #2324
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I did that once in high school. I cant believe it happened in a major league game.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #2325
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Pujols is a freaking MONSTER.. A GS, solo HR, single, and a double today. He loves KC.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #2326
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Specifically our pitching staff. Tho if he'd like to come play for the Royals, we'd welcome him with open arms

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #2327
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Specifically our pitching staff. Tho if he'd like to come play for the Royals, we'd welcome him with open arms

SI

Hey, the Royals passed on him.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #2328
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Pujols is a freaking MONSTER.. A GS, solo HR, single, and a double today. He loves KC.

I was at the game yesterday. That grand slam by Pujols was an absolute bomb. Even most of the Royals fans stood up to admire that one. I don't know if they had an official measurement on it, but it definitely rivaled the longest homer hit in that stadium. If it was short of the record, it was only by 10-15 feet.

Oh, and it was HOT! Thankfully, we found some shade, but heat index of 110 is pretty brutal.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #2329
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

The Nationals take TWO SERIES in a row and are 4-2 in this interleague stretch against the AL East. BRING ON BOSTON! I'll be at all three games.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #2330
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I notice that in the wins, the Nats have had this thing, what's it called again? Oh, yeah: pitching.

Boy, I remember what it was like for the Royals to have that- it was something like 2 months ago (actually, last week it was good but in the last 5, we've given up 12, 12, 10, 7, 12 and lost all by 5+ runs)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-22-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #2331
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I hate interleague play. Makes the All Star game and the World Series less special.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #2332
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I notice that in the wins, the Nats have had this thing, what's it called again? Oh, yeah: pitching.

Boy, I remember what it was like for the Royals to have that- it was something like 2 months ago (actually, last week it was good but in the last 5, we've given up 12, 12, 10, 7, 12 and lost all by 5+ runs)

SI

I would say it was much more about defense than pitching. Part of that is the "non-error" errors that have been prevelant. Even without high error numbers (which the Nationals hav ethe highest in the league) the poor defense accounts for more men on base than the number suggests. Acta went for a weaker offense and stronger defense during those games and it paid off.

The bullpen has been better, though. I don't think you can discoutn the effect of having trust in the guys behind you, though.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #2333
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Dola: the Nats had 4 wins in 22 games before the 4 game streak.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #2334
Atocep
Coordinator

Donald Fehr is reportedly stepping down as head of the MLBPA. Wonder if this is voluntary.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #2335
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Donald Fehr is reportedly stepping down as head of the MLBPA. Wonder if this is voluntary.

Hmmmmmm.......wonder who they'll look at to replace him?
Old 06-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #2336
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

This is basically what my daughter's softball games look like after almost every at bat.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:15 PM   #2337
Atocep
Coordinator

ESPN has the story:

Source: Donald Fehr leaving as MLB union head - ESPN

Quote:
Don Fehr is stepping down as executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Association, a position he's held since the mid-1980s, a source tells ESPN.
Fehr will be replaced by general counsel Michael Weiner, pending board approval, the source said. An announcement is expected to be made later on Monday afternoon.
Fehr, who will turn 61 in July, was voted in to lead the players' union in December 1985.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #2338
Ksyrup

Wow. I'm sure they'll sugar-coat it, but the timing can't just be coincidental.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #2339
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, that's from out in left field and just plain weird. Any reason given?

SI

Old 06-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #2340
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Wow. I'm sure they'll sugar-coat it, but the timing can't just be coincidental.

Well, what is the timing coincidental with?

SI

Old 06-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #2341
Ksyrup

All the shit the players are no doubt giving him and Orza over the fact that the "anonymous" drug tests from 2003 weren't (a) anonymous and (b) destroyed. Not to mention the increasing shit they are taking from the media about dragging their feet on drug testing over the past decade and protecting drug users at the expense of the clean players' good names (as the Ibanez flare-up showed). Seems to me a lot of this came to a head with the ARod and Sosa leaks.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #2342
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh, I agree. I was just surprised it took until now to happen. I didn't see a significant event that precipitated it. More of a lifetime achievement award which is kindof a discourteous send off for a man who every player should be on their knees paying respect to right now.

Personally, I never liked Fehr and good riddance. But if they just replaced him with a general counsel- they just replaced one weaselly lawyer with another.

SI

Old 06-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #2343
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So about 70 games into the season, and I still have no idea what to make of the Tigers. They're being anchored by three pitchers. One, Verlander, seems to have put it together finally. Another, Jackson, is defying expectations but there is still the impending doom an implosion is around the corner, and the other, Porcello, is a 20 year old rookie who will probably hit a wall soon.

After that it's Galarraga who has lost all ability to throw a pitch with anything resembling movement, another rookie Figaro who only has had one start, Dontrelle Willis who's back on the DL with anxiety, Bonderman who is back on the DL till at least September, and then not much.

The pen is somewhat decent but still filled with guys who are as likely to K the side as they are to give up 3 runs when they come in. Lively arms, but not very consistent.

On the offensive side of things, Guillen might be done all year. Magglio is either not the age on his birth certificate, forgot how to hit or off of the juice, Polanco is hitting better but is getting older, and we still have Adam Everett and Gerald Laird who are what they are.

Thankfully, Brandon Inge has actually play incredibly well at the dish, but how long can that last? The skeptic in me says the wheels could fall off. Granderson is hitting for power but he needs to get on base more, and Miggy is still great and rounding into form. I expect he'll blow up the next half of the season and get near 35 - 40 HR and 115 - 120 RBI.

With all that said, the AL Central is pretty pathetic. KC has fallen off the map. Cleveland is doing the same. The White Sox could be sellers soon but the Twins are always lurking.

Detroit can win the Central and if their 3 starters perform, they have a shot to even do a little post season damage. Yet in the same breath they could end up just at or below .500 because nothing is known with them.

At this point I'd hope they try and take a feeler on Ben Sheets. A one year deal with incentives that can trigger an option or something. If it doesn't work, oh well, but we need to solidify the pitching.

The hitting, well it is what it is. We don't have a lot of prospects who we can trade to get a bat, so unless we go after a guy like Spillbough, and he isn't much of an upgrade, I think our offense is what it is. The best hope is Magglio turns it on.

Anyway, I just needed to empty my Tigs thoughts on an off day and go from there.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #2344
Ksyrup

Tigers are paying over $41M this year alone to Bonderman, Willis, and Ordonez. Ouch.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #2345
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Plus Ordonez has an 18M option that could very realistically kick in for next year.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #2346
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Haven't they essentially benched Magglio because he's not hitting well and so his option doesn't vest?

SI

Old 06-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #2347
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

If he gets 300 PAs more it vests. It's going to be a tough situation either way.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #2348
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I was at the game yesterday. That grand slam by Pujols was an absolute bomb. Even most of the Royals fans stood up to admire that one. I don't know if they had an official measurement on it, but it definitely rivaled the longest homer hit in that stadium. If it was short of the record, it was only by 10-15 feet.

Oh, and it was HOT! Thankfully, we found some shade, but heat index of 110 is pretty brutal.

Yeah.. mother nature just decided to skip summer for us this year.

I was trying to get up there for a game this weekend.. would have loved to been at that game.

I'll be in Columbia from Thursday - Sunday for Mizzou soccer camp if you'll be around.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #2349
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The Magglio situation will be ugly if he doesn't pick it up. That said if he continues to struggle it's a great out for the Tigs. He only has 11 XBH this season. Had Papi not been so terrible Magglio would be under the gun even more but he had the luxury of a slumping Papi.

Now if Magglio gets better but the Tigs go down hill, I bet they try and cut bait then but that'll get VERY ugly.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #2350
Atocep
Coordinator

Beltran to the DL. One of the Mets fans here is going to get called up by the end of the season. This is beyond ridiculous.