Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #2301
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Awesome show, card of the year so far without questions. Tons of finishes and an amazing main event.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #2302
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

absolutely, even from the Prelims amazing show!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #2303
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Fighters Only is reporting that later this year (Sounds like 136 in Houston) that Machida will fight Chael Sonnen at 205. I do love Sonnen but he is so fucked. Machida is faster and has the best take down defense in the game. Still loving that fight though.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #2304
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And MMAJunkie said Sonnen/Machida is not happening.

Also BJ Penn wrote this today, it is nothing if not interesting:

BJ Penn:

"Get rid of the belts, get rid of the judges, first thing, right off the bat. Any fight that goes to a decision should just be an automatic draw. You get rid of the judges, get rid of the belts. The only way you can win a fight is by finishing your guy, the only way you can lose is by getting finished. You put all the guys with the most draws on the bottom of the pay scale. You put all the guys with the most wins and least losses and least draws at the top of the pay scale and you fit it down the middle accordingly. No one will want to go to decision, no one will try to fight for points because you can't win unless you finish the guy and then we really find out who the best is."
Old 07-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #2305
BYU 14
Coordinator

Definitely interesting from BJ since his conditioning would probably not bode well in a fight to the finish.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #2306
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Yeah but he has dynamite in his fists and he is pretty good at the jiu jitsu submissions including being "vicious with the choke"

Last edited by judicial clerk : 07-06-2011 at 08:58 PM.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #2307
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Well this is an intriguing fight. At UFC 136 it'll be Chael Sonnen vs Brian Stann.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #2308
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Well this is an intriguing fight. At UFC 136 it'll be Chael Sonnen vs Brian Stann.

I'm going to go out on a pretty big limb here and say Chael by wrestle-forking.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #2309
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I'm going to go out on a pretty big limb here and say Chael by wrestle-forking.

I'd certainly say that is most likely. I wouldn't be shocked if this is considered a #1 contenders fight. Obviously a Stann win assures him the spot, but Sonnen winning probably will as well.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #2310
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Sherdog has reported that Alistair Overeem is out of the Strikeforce Heavyweight GP. The following is a quote from the article.

Quote:
“That is not going to take place,” Overeem stated in a Monday interview with MMAFighting.com. “What’s going to happen next, I don’t know. I’ve had some threats of cutting me out of the tournament if I don’t participate. I don’t know if they’re going to do it. Personally, I don’t like to be threatened.”

Overeem went on to state that he felt the September date was too soon for him to return, and that he needed time to rest and heal after his June 18 quarterfinal decision win over Fabricio Werdum. The 31-year-old Dutchman’s words apparently did not sit well with the brass at Strikeforce and parent company Zuffa, LLC, who on Monday swapped out Overeem for unbeaten up-and-comer Daniel Cormier.

IMO this is the best career move for Overeem as I think with Overeem's suspect chin, history of being laid out in MMA fights, and propensity for eating straight punches that Big Foot had a great chance to relieve him of his consciousness.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #2311
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Coker started this tournament with Overeem being contracted for two more fights. His next fight is his last one in SF. Awful planning all around.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #2312
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So October is on pace to be the best month of MMA ever.

UFC 136

Edgar/Maynard
Aldo/Florian
Sonnen/Stann
Lauzon/Guillard
Maia/Santiago
Herman/Russow
Pettis/Stephens

UFC 137

GSP/Diaz
Penn/Condit
Cro Cop/Nelson
Mitrione/Kongo
Siver/Stout
Roop/Hioki
Vera/Marshall

Plus, October 1st is a scheduled UFC Live on Versus show.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #2313
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Also Mark Munoz vs Chris Leben has been signed to headline UFC 138 in the UK. It'll be a free show in the states. This is apparently going to be the first five round non title fight.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #2314
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

so more then likely I'll be in Vegas for UFC 137. I will be getting tickets. Expensive but I'm doing it, especially since BJ is fighting! anyone wanna go ?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #2315
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Coker started this tournament with Overeem being contracted for two more fights. His next fight is his last one in SF. Awful planning all around.

Well if that's the case then it probably benefits Overeem to get out with the title and no losses on hand. He can move over to a UFC contract and get paid a whole hell of a lot more to put his streak on the line. If he loses against Silva, then all that goes out the window.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #2316
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Seriously. What a joke.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #2317
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Well if that's the case then it probably benefits Overeem to get out with the title and no losses on hand. He can move over to a UFC contract and get paid a whole hell of a lot more to put his streak on the line. If he loses against Silva, then all that goes out the window.

He'll fight the GP Winner then go to UFC. I'm fairly confident of that.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #2318
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
He'll fight the GP Winner then go to UFC. I'm fairly confident of that.

I'm not so sure. To do that he would be shelved until atleast summer of next year. Then he would have to give up K1 and Japan as a whole where his drawing power is much greater than in the states.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #2319
DeToxRox
Head Coach

UFC adds its 4th title fight in October as Dominick Cruz will defend the 135 title vs Mighty Mouse Johnson on UFC On Versus 6.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #2320
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 07-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #2321
Flasch186
Coordinator

holy crap there are some stars in that... I didnt expect any.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 07-25-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #2322
spleen1015
Coordinator

Why is it that a chick kicking ass is always hot?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #2323
PilotMan
Head Coach

My prediction for Saturday's main event is that someone will get hit with a big overhand right.

In all seriousness, Fedor has to be favored. This fight is tailor made for him. Hendo is a tough SOB and has still looked really good in his last fights. Plus he trains harder than Fedor, I think.

I think I'm going with Henderson.

Like Steam?

Old 07-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #2324
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
My prediction for Saturday's main event is that someone will get hit with a big overhand right.

In all seriousness, Fedor has to be favored. This fight is tailor made for him. Hendo is a tough SOB and has still looked really good in his last fights. Plus he trains harder than Fedor, I think.

I think I'm going with Henderson.

Fedor's heart just doesn't seem in it. If that is indeed the case, I'll go with Hendo.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #2325
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Reem was released by Strikeforce today. Anyone wanna bet he is signed by the UFC in the next week?
Old 07-29-2011, 11:53 PM   #2326
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Reem was released by Strikeforce today. Anyone wanna bet he is signed by the UFC in the next week?

If the UFC continues to gut Strikeforce and slap Showtime in the face like this it will only be bad for us as Showtime will likely cancel the contract and get out of MMA.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:04 AM   #2327
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
If the UFC continues to gut Strikeforce and slap Showtime in the face like this it will only be bad for us as Showtime will likely cancel the contract and get out of MMA.

Well that is clearly what Zuffa wants so they can have their monopoly.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:24 AM   #2328
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Brendhan Conlan
Overeem's release backs up something a little birdie told me earlier this week about a possible JDS vs. Overeem interim title-fight.4 hours ago

Conlan writes for 5 Ounces of Pain. I doubt this ends up being true but it'd make sense. Lot's of skeptics are out there regarding Cain's recovery, so we'll see.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #2329
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I'll say that UFC does not pick up Overeem and the decision to cut Overeem was more of a Zuffa decision for his attitude regarding the heavyweight tournament than a Scott Coker decision.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:33 PM   #2330
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

god's will
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:40 PM   #2331
PilotMan
Head Coach

helluva round

Like Steam?

Old 07-31-2011, 12:13 AM   #2332
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Actually, Overeem forced his way out. He was set to fight in September, but declined, saying he wanted a full camp.. then he came back to Zuffa saying that since his contract expired with the semifinal fight, he wanted a guaranteed UFC contract with PPV percentages.

Dana told him where he could walk.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...keforce_072711

Last edited by SirFozzie : 07-31-2011 at 12:15 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:32 AM   #2333
PilotMan
Head Coach

Like Steam?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:30 AM   #2334
BYU 14
Coordinator

It was a great round but I have to think Fedor calls it a career now, it just doesn't seem like his heart is in it anymore.

The Meisha Tate and Sarah Kaufman rematch will be one helluva fight
Old 07-31-2011, 10:04 AM   #2335
PilotMan
Head Coach

That was a very good stoppage. Fedor ate 3 punches while he was out, and he was out cold. I just don't think you can let that go. Either way, the fight was on the way to being over.

Like Steam?

Old 07-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #2336
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
\Fedor ate 3 punches while he was out,

Fedor ate illegal strikes while he was down. All of those "followup" strikes were illegal strikes to the back of the head. Every single one of them.

Quote:
and he was out cold.

He went down, but he never went limp. That really makes me question how "out" he was.

The announcers were quick to point out that he was woozy when he got up. How much of that was due to the one shot that Hendo landed and how much of that was due to the repeated illegal shots to the back of the head he ate?

I like Fedor but I also like Hendo. Infact both of these guys are in my top 5 favorites. I just hate to see anyone eat that many repeated illegal shots and people just seem to write it off.

I will say the stoppage was justified IF and only IF Hendo was on top of Fedor pounding away on him legally. Clearly if that GNP was landing on the chin/face then the fight was over. However Hendo was never in position ot finish that fight. He was behind Fedor, who had his face the other way. Fedor only rolled and put Hendo in position to end it b/c of the illegal shots he was taking.

IMO Hendo should have been pulled off. Fedor given time to recover and if he was not able to it should have been ruled a NC. But I guess that is just one guys opinion.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #2337
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

out of all the folks I've seen review the fight, you're the only one who thinks those strikes were illegal, man.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:48 AM   #2338
DeToxRox
Head Coach

None of those strikes looked like they landed in the "mohawk zone". And frankly, I don't recall any instances outside of Brock getting a point deduction of that ever being called.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #2339
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
...I like Fedor but I also like Hendo...

But which one's better?

Hold on...
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #2340
PilotMan
Head Coach

How can you look at the replay and say he never went limp. He landed on his face! His arms were crumpled up on the side of his body! It's hard to say if the shots were to the back of the head or not, but I'm going to say that they landed closer to the ear, which is plenty legal.

Like Steam?

Old 07-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #2341
Flasch186
Coordinator

FWIW, I think that there are farf too many illegal strikes to the back of the head in MMA. I havnt been able to watch the fight yet but from what Ive seen over the past few years there are a ton of behind the ear strikes and back of the head strikes that simply get warnings or 'chats'.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:40 PM   #2342
PilotMan
Head Coach

Meisha Tate's arm-in triangle was a slick thing of beauty last night. Especially considering who she did it against, and that Marloes had never been submitted before.

Like Steam?

Old 07-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #2343
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Meisha Tate's arm-in triangle was a slick thing of beauty last night. Especially considering who she did it against, and that Marloes had never been submitted before.

That was a great transition to finish it, from side control, classic knee to belly, then into the choke. Will be interesting to see how she handles Kaufman's striking this time around as she just picked Liz Carmouche apart in her last fight. She also did a great job stuffing Carmouche's takedowns and I don't think Tate has the strength Carmouche does.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 07-31-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #2344
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Hard to argue an early stoppage.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #2345
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Fedor was out from that first uppercut. He went LIMP. Great stoppage.

It looks like Henderson is a tougher middleweight than Matt Lindland and Big Foot Silva is a step up from Hong-Man Choi.

But seriously, this being a MMA discussion thread and all, how have Fedor`s last three fights impacted the way you view his spot in history, if at all.

I know there have been some staunch Fedor fanboys in this thread and those on the opposite side of the spectrum as well.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:52 PM   #2346
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Fedor to me is Wilt Chamberlain. He dominated MMA in an era where he was just so much superior to nearly everyone else that he had to dominate. He clearly had an amazing run but the era he fought is always going to allow for criticizing the legacy his staunchest supporters believe he has left.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #2347
PilotMan
Head Coach

Zuffa Releases Marloes Coenen, Valentijn Overeem and Jon Olav Einemo from Team Golden Glory | MMAWeekly.com

Shit got personal. It's kind of sad that others have to pay the price by association in all of this. I guess Bellator might be able to snap Coenen up if they can. As for the rest of them, I guess Japan or BAMMA will come calling.

Like Steam?

Old 08-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #2348
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Fedor was released from SF today. His deal was up by Dana wasn't going to let that stop him:

“Yeah, he’s being cut,” White confirmed. “You guys thought he was the pound-for-pound best in the world, I said he was overrated for years.”
Old 08-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #2349
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
“Yeah, he’s being cut,” White confirmed. “You guys thought he was the pound-for-pound best in the world, I said he was overrated for years.”

Dana White being a Dick, so it ain't so.

Fedor is done, but C'mon Dana, way to hold a grudge cause he wouldn't sign with you.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #2350
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
This POS UFC card isnt even on the front page and its tonight.