Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-18-2006, 10:34 AM   #2301
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Woot! 7 wins in a row for the Devils... getting Elias back was just what they needed . If we had him all year, we'd be leading the Atlantic!
Old 01-18-2006, 10:44 AM   #2302
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Ziggy Palfy just announced his retirement. Effective immediately.

Poor Penguins.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:17 AM   #2303
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue

Poor Penguins.

WOW~!
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:21 AM   #2304
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

Poor Penguins.

Poor Palffy too - thats more than $10 Million he's leaving on the table.
My SGS headline: Palffy no longer getting Ziggy with it.

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 01-18-2006 at 11:34 AM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:52 PM   #2305
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Poor Penguins.

Yeah...but we just picked up Eric Cairns too!! For a 6th rounder this year. Looks like they are trying to replace Palffy's production already!!
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:57 PM   #2306
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Vogel
Yeah...but we just picked up Eric Cairns too!! For a 6th rounder this year. Looks like they are trying to replace Palffy's production already!!

well, they've certainly got Palffy's PIMs covered! and heck, they both wear #33 - this CAN'T be a coincidence.

seriously, I had no idea Eric "I can kick" Cairns was still in the NHL. I know the Pens need protection for Crosby, but is this the best they could do? couldn't they just sign Peter Worrell or something? at least he wouldn't cost a draft pick.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #2307
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I've always liked Eric Cairns. He's big, mean, and a bit crazy. It's a nice combination. Perhaps he will be able to deter people from running Crosby every night, assuming he sees the ice enough. I do not think this move will help cure the Pens' defensive struggles however.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-19-2006, 09:02 AM   #2308
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

My problem with it is...we are already speanding $1 mil a year for Andre Roy not to fight, and prior to the lockout had signed Ryan Vandensbussche (who is in the AHL now in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton).

And HB, you are right, Cairns will not solve the Pens D troubles...but he can't really make them much worse. At least he might clear someone from in front of the net every so often.

I also read...he has a broken ankle, and is out until mid-Feb!! I can't imagine the Pens knew this at the time of the trade--I'd think if it was not disclosed, the trade won't go through...but who knows.

As for Peter Worrell...I think we tried going after Andreas Lilja, thinking he was Peter Worrell.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:43 AM   #2309
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
My problem with it is...we are already speanding $1 mil a year for Andre Roy not to fight, and prior to the lockout had signed Ryan Vandensbussche (who is in the AHL now in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton).

And HB, you are right, Cairns will not solve the Pens D troubles...but he can't really make them much worse. At least he might clear someone from in front of the net every so often.

I also read...he has a broken ankle, and is out until mid-Feb!! I can't imagine the Pens knew this at the time of the trade--I'd think if it was not disclosed, the trade won't go through...but who knows.

As for Peter Worrell...I think we tried going after Andreas Lilja, thinking he was Peter Worrell.

The big problem with Cairns, other than the fact that he's slow and can't skate well, is that he's also mean and stupid and will take many stupid penalties. All this said, I still like the guy. I have yet to have an EHM career where, at some point, Eric Cairns wasn't playing for my team. This is usually very early on during the initial re-building phase when I know I don't have the talent level to compete so I try to intimidate and out hit everyone. It never really works.

If the Pens management thought that Andreas Lilja was Peter Worrell, then I fear things are even worse in Pittsburgh than I had ever imagined. Lilja is big, but he's soft and is not a physical presence at all. In fact, he takes many more hits (from much smaller players) than he gives.

I have no idea what Andre Roy is doing if he's not fighting.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:49 AM   #2310
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
If the Pens management thought that Andreas Lilja was Peter Worrell, then I fear things are even worse in Pittsburgh than I had ever imagined. Lilja is big, but he's soft and is not a physical presence at all. In fact, he takes many more hits (from much smaller players) than he gives.

it was a joke. surprised you missed this
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1975106
Old 01-19-2006, 09:53 AM   #2311
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
it was a joke. surprised you missed this
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1975106

I totally missed that. That's pretty funny actually. Good stuff!
Old 01-19-2006, 10:27 AM   #2312
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The big problem with Cairns, other than the fact that he's slow and can't skate well, is that he's also mean and stupid and will take many stupid penalties.
He's a quintuple threat!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:10 AM   #2313
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Yeah...sorry the Worrell/Lilja thing was a poor attempt at a joke...I didn't set it up too well.

Cairns I believe is supposed to replace the big, slow, worthless, dumb guy our locker room has been missing since Steve McKenna has been gone...
Old 01-19-2006, 11:22 AM   #2314
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Yeah...sorry the Worrell/Lilja thing was a poor attempt at a joke...I didn't set it up too well.

Cairns I believe is supposed to replace the big, slow, worthless, dumb guy our locker room has been missing since Steve McKenna has been gone...

It was a great joke, actually. Very well done, I just missed that little gem of a story, or, if I didn't miss it, I certainly didn't remember it.

Maybe the Pens could try and find Billy Tibbets again. Now that guy was crazy.

While on the topic of ex-Panther tough guys (Cairns), I always really liked Paul Laus. I was sad when he was forced to retire. He was always one of my favorites for some reason. Probably because he always served me well in fantasy hockey (as a PIM machine) and in strat-o-matic (as a hit machine). I also liked to pronounce his name so it rhymed with "house" and could call him "The Laus of Pain."
Old 01-19-2006, 11:25 AM   #2315
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

the Worrell/Lilja joke is ALWAYS a good joke.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:26 AM   #2316
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
While on the topic of ex-Panther tough guys (Cairns), I always really liked Paul Laus. I was sad when he was forced to retire. He was always one of my favorites for some reason. Probably because he always served me well in fantasy hockey (as a PIM machine) and in strat-o-matic (as a hit machine). I also liked to pronounce his name so it rhymed with "house" and could call him "The Laus of Pain."

I liked Laus as well. he also would sometimes become eligible at D & Forward, which gave me added flexibility.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #2317
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
It was a great joke, actually. Very well done, I just missed that little gem of a story, or, if I didn't miss it, I certainly didn't remember it.

Maybe the Pens could try and find Billy Tibbets again. Now that guy was crazy.

Mike Lange (Pens radio announcer) recently made reference to Tibbetts playing somewhere, like the UHL in some far off small town.

The problem with Tibbetts was that sticky visa problem--after his sexual assault charges/probabtion/etc, he couldn't travel with the team to Canada--he wasn't allowed to leave the country.

I do believe though that Francois Leroux is still available.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:57 PM   #2318
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Columbus Blue Jackets defenceman Bryan Berard tested positive for a banned substance as part of drug testing for the Olympics.

Sources say Berard, who was invited to the U.S. summer Olympic evaluation camp and therefore eligible for Olympic testing, tested positive for the substance nandrolone, an anabolic steroid which is on the IOC banned substance list.

A positive test means that Berard is ineligible for any international competition for the next two years. The test will not impact on the Olympics in February as Berard was not selected to the U.S. team.

The positive Olympic test will have no impact on his current standing or status within the National Hockey League.

The test was apparently conducted in November with the results being made known to Berard in December.

Sources say the NHL was made aware of the positive test in December. Sources also suggest that Berard voluntarily went to the league in late December and underwent league sanctioned testing, which came back negative for any banned substances.

Sources say Berard attributed the positive test to a supplement he was taking in off-season training.

Berard would only be sanctioned by the NHL if he tested positive within the joint testing program of the NHL and NHL Players Association which began last Sunday.

Blue Jackets executive director of communications Todd Sharrock says the team is aware of the report, but will have no comment "until the results are confirmed by the group that administered the test."

The USADA is scheduled to announce the doping result at a Friday news conference. Berard is also slated to talk to the media Friday.

The 28-year old former first overall selection in the 1995 Draft has 9 goals and 18 assists in 40 games with the Blue Jackets this season

Well, i guess the 'roids didn't help his defensive play that much. What's troubling is that it is during the season, but Berard claims that he used them in his off-season training. This is so far out of left field that I'm not sure how to feel, I'm waiting for what he has to say tomorrow.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:59 AM   #2319
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Tibbetts is now playing with Chicago of the AHL.

http://ahl.leaguestat.com/stats/player.php?id=908

17 pts in 17 games, with 124 PIM.

Last edited by Tekneek : 01-20-2006 at 03:00 AM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:25 PM   #2320
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Wow, I didn't realize that the Stars got Ninnima from the Isle.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:32 AM   #2321
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Wow, I didn't realize that the Stars got Ninnima from the Isle.

He had become a scapegoat in New York. Stirling hated him and eventually the fans turned on him as well. I thought he was great in Edmonton.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:25 AM   #2322
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
He had become a scapegoat in New York. Stirling hated him and eventually the fans turned on him as well. I thought he was great in Edmonton.

Oh yeah? Well, Erskine will fit in nicely in that role. Can you say "pylon"?
Old 01-21-2006, 09:44 AM   #2323
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek

My favorite Janne Niinimaa moment was in Game 4 of the 1997 Stanley Cup Finals while Niinimaa was with the Flyers. Darren McCarty undressed Niinimaa and then went on to put one hell of a move on Ron Hextall to score the title-clinching goal and not to mention one of the prettiest goals in Wings' history.

I had Bruce Martyn's radio play-by-play call of the goal as my voicemail message for a few months after that.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:11 AM   #2324
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

some interesting hockey yesterday. Ottawa drubbed Toronto 7-0. Nashville also put up 7 goals against Columbus. Vancouver scored 6 goals in the first 14 minutes against Montreal, running Jose Theodore out of the game and maybe out of the city - that's his 3rd 5 goal game in the last 6 games.

Detroit beat Colorado 4-3. It was a pretty good game, but it really showed just how much better the Wings are than Colorado. Colorado's PP couldn't do anything - and on a couple of occasions, the Wings controlled the puck shorthanded for significant games of keep away. It's pretty daunting when you get a power play and look across the ice and see 2 3-time Norris winners and a Selke winner on the other side of the ice.

to me, Detroit is clearly the best team in the West right now - a great mix of youth and veterans.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:52 PM   #2325
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

COLAIACOVO of the Leafs has just been hurt very badly in the game against the Senators tonight. He was backing into making a hit on Varada and partially missed, then spun and hit the boards. It looks real bad. Just saw movement from him on the stretcher, but it looked like he could have been dead for a while there.

Last edited by Tekneek : 01-23-2006 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:22 PM   #2326
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

He looked like he was knocked out by the initial impact, then slammed into the boards without protecting himself. He was bleeding badly and not moving, Very scary, although now they're saying it may be just a concussion.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:31 PM   #2327
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Theodore shelled. again.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:46 AM   #2328
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Very scary, although now they're saying it may be just a concussion.

I bet his entire body hurts like hell today, but the headache is probably the worst part of it. He's pretty lucky if he can come back in a week.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:48 AM   #2329
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Lemieux retires. again.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:11 AM   #2330
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Lemieux retires. again.

It is hard to spend all that time in practice and games when you are trying to sell your team...assuming he was ever going to be healthy enough to play regularly anyway.

Last edited by Tekneek : 01-24-2006 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:25 AM   #2331
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Too bad about Lemieux, but no real surprise.

Back in the pre-season there these quotes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
I was thinking about the Penguins forward lines:

Recchi - Lemieux - Palffy
Crosby - Morozov - Malkin
Eastwood - Kraft - Malone

Absolutely phenomenal group, there.

Quote:
Phenomenal group until Lemieux and Palffy get hurt and Morozov goes in the crapper...

If I had just added "and retire" I would have quite my job and joined the psychic friends network (assuming it still exists).
Old 01-24-2006, 10:41 AM   #2332
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Lemieux retires. again.

There was no sense in him taking risks with his heart condition to play for a last place team.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:46 PM   #2333
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S
There was no sense in him taking risks with his heart condition to play for a last place team.

I agree entirely (and said as much in a SGS blog entry a few weeks ago).
I'm really glad he did it.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:46 PM   #2334
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Theodore shelled. again.

Thanks. We needed that after that "thud" game against the Caps the other night.

On a serious note, what has happened to the Habs? They were pretty solid earlier in the year and were nipping at Ottawa's heels for a time. Now they're swan-diving down the standings and they still have to go to Philly and Ottawa in the next couple of games.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:53 PM   #2335
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
Thanks. We needed that after that "thud" game against the Caps the other night.

On a serious note, what has happened to the Habs? They were pretty solid earlier in the year and were nipping at Ottawa's heels for a time. Now they're swan-diving down the standings and they still have to go to Philly and Ottawa in the next couple of games.

they are very much like baseball's Washington Nationals last year. Early in the season, the Canadiens were winning every 1-goal game. statistically, that couldn't last. here's what I said about them back in December when they they were ranked 4th in the East:

The Good: Montreal has won with timely goals – they are 13-1 in one-goal games. Saku Koivu (26 pts) and Michael Ryder (11 goals) have paced the team.
The Bad: Sheldon Souray’s 15-goal season in ’03-’04 looked like an aberration then (his previous high was a whopping 3) and it looks like an aberration now (just one goal this season). Montreal’s roster seems to have more than the fair share of inconsistent (or disappointing) players: Jan Bulis, Mathieu Dandenault, Radek Bonk, Nicklas Sundstrum – all former first or second round picks that are now not much more than role players.
Outlook: Statistically, Montreal has been average (or worse) in all the major categories. If not for their one-goal wins, this team is just that: average. By the end of the season, they will be in the middle of the pack, possibly out of the playoffs.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:21 PM   #2336
Logan
Head Coach

Any Washington Caps fans here?

I'm going to be in DC the week of April 17th for work. It'll be my 3rd trip down there since June, and usually I'll spend the nights at bars with my co-workers. This time though, I wanna take in a Caps game. Really just because I want to see Ovechkin play in person, and I haven't had a chance to get to one of the games when the Caps were either playing the Rangers or Devils. Anyway, none of the guys that I'll be down there with are really hockey fans so I haven't been able to convince anyone to go with me. But like I said, I want to see Ovechkin so I wouldn't mind picking up a single ticket and going.

The last Caps home game is on 4/17 vs Atlanta. Does anyone know my chances of heading down to the arena right before the puck drops and picking up a single ticket? I don't figure the game would be sold out, so I guess I could go to the box office...but for anyone who is familiar with what goes on there, have you seen people walking around trying to unload a decent spare ticket (maybe even below face)? Any help appreciated.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:24 AM   #2337
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Any Washington Caps fans here?

I'm going to be in DC the week of April 17th for work. It'll be my 3rd trip down there since June, and usually I'll spend the nights at bars with my co-workers. This time though, I wanna take in a Caps game. Really just because I want to see Ovechkin play in person, and I haven't had a chance to get to one of the games when the Caps were either playing the Rangers or Devils. Anyway, none of the guys that I'll be down there with are really hockey fans so I haven't been able to convince anyone to go with me. But like I said, I want to see Ovechkin so I wouldn't mind picking up a single ticket and going.

The last Caps home game is on 4/17 vs Atlanta. Does anyone know my chances of heading down to the arena right before the puck drops and picking up a single ticket? I don't figure the game would be sold out, so I guess I could go to the box office...but for anyone who is familiar with what goes on there, have you seen people walking around trying to unload a decent spare ticket (maybe even below face)? Any help appreciated.

I'm not a Caps fan, but I live in DC and have been to a few games. The game will not be sold out and there is a good likelihood you could find someone looking to unload a spare ticket. Face value should be easy. If you want to wait until after the game starts below face value is a safe bet. Given that it's the last game of the season and will likely be quite meaningless, you may be able to get below face value earlier than that. There is a market out there. I have bought tickets for a Wings/Caps game before.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:49 AM   #2338
Coder
College Prospect

Apparently the Toronto Sun is reporting that Mats Sundin wants out of Toronto, and that Calgary and Vancouver are likely destinations.

However, Sundin's agent is laughing at the rumours, saying that Sundin does not want to leave and that he's got a no-trade clause that he doesn't want to absolve.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:57 AM   #2339
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder
Apparently the Toronto Sun is reporting that Mats Sundin wants out of Toronto, and that Calgary and Vancouver are likely destinations.
I have not seen this article yet, but I'm going to out on a limb here....

Is this an Al Strachan column by any chance?

edit: Ah...Bruce Garrioch. Same difference.

Last edited by Simms : 01-25-2006 at 06:59 AM.
Simms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:01 AM   #2340
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
I have not seen this article yet, but I'm going to out on a limb here....

Is this an Al Strachan column by any chance?

edit: Ah...Bruce Garrioch. Same difference.

I haven't seen the article itself, I just read a report in a Swedish newspaper. Wasn't sure if it was "just" a column or something more substantial..

If it was an Al Strachan piece I would have laughed, but the Swedish story didn't mention any details like that. I just don't have a lot of respect for mr Combover ;-)

Haven't read anything by Garrioch.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:33 AM   #2341
Simms
FOBL Commish

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists...09508-sun.html

Garrioch's as big a blowhard as Strachan, just based out of Ottawa instead of Toronto.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:31 AM   #2342
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Garrioch throws every rumor he hears into his column... if he gets one a month right, he's a genius.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:17 AM   #2343
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

GOALIE FIGHT!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 11:04 AM   #2344
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

sorry, got a little carried away watching the end of the Avs drubbing of the Flames. 30 seconds left, there's a little scrum in front of Colorado's net. nothing too crazy...until Phil Sauve came charging in to challenge Aebischer. not much of a fight, but kind of interesting since Sauve was Abby's backup last season; I'm not sure if he was just trying to let off some steam, or if there was some bad blood.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:52 AM   #2345
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

How can you get an instigator penalty, but not a fighting major? I thought that was impossible.

(Of course, I also didn't know you could call and announce a penalty, then change your mind. I'm learning a lot of new rules this week.)
Old 01-25-2006, 11:58 AM   #2346
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
How can you get an instigator penalty, but not a fighting major? I thought that was impossible.

(Of course, I also didn't know you could call and announce a penalty, then change your mind. I'm learning a lot of new rules this week.)

Aebischer also got thrown out of the game even though he only got a roughing penalty. I think that the fact that the game was basically over (7-4 with 30 seconds left) meant that the refs just rushed through the penalties to get it done.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:09 PM   #2347
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

most likely bogus, but rumors out there the Anaheim is going to change their name at the olympic break

http://www.smart-guys-sports.com/?p=381
Old 01-25-2006, 09:38 PM   #2348
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I was just thinking about the absurdity of the Ducks name just a day or so ago because ESPN finally got around to doing a power ranking for the first time in a while and they listed them as "Mighty Ducks", which reminded me how damn stupid that name was. The stupidity is further enhanced by the official name being the "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim".

I really do hope they change it to the Anaheim Ducks. Or, they could cheese off the LA residents more and call them the "Los Angeles Ducks of Anaheim".
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:44 PM   #2349
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

and Sauve gets waived for his troubles...
Old 01-26-2006, 08:18 AM   #2350
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Jussi Jokinen is a shootout assassin!!!