Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2014, 11:17 PM   #2301
chadritt
High School Varsity

Not to mention Xbox is out advertising sony, I'm seeing ads for their games before blockbuster movies and I know bigger ones are on the way
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #2302
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
To be clear, I'm not saying Xbox will bounce back, but if it does that's when it will.

So you're saying the next 15 months are the make it or break it for the X1. Seems very reasonable. At that point, you're three holiday seasons into a cycle and facing a good lineup of Sony exclusives. If you can win in that situation, you can win the generation.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #2303
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Honest question but what Sony exclusives are there coming out in the next 15 months? Keeping in mind if the game comes out on PC I don't consider it exclusive.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:33 PM   #2304
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Not to mention Xbox is out advertising sony, I'm seeing ads for their games before blockbuster movies and I know bigger ones are on the way

Link? Every article I've seen has Sony heavily outspending MS in regards to advertising. This study is just one example, but Sony has consistently stated in interviews that they plan to out-advertise MS at any cost this generation.

PlayStation is Video Game Industry’s Biggest TV Spender So Far This Year - CMO Today - WSJ
Old 08-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #2305
chadritt
High School Varsity

No Link...just seeing Ads for their games in front of every movie I see and i know, even though again i cant link, that theyre rolling out movie theater trailers for their exclusive games. Even if sony is out spending them theyre not getting the same penetration from what my friends and I are seeing
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #2306
Groundhog
Coordinator

Maybe we can start the PS4/Xbox One fight when either of the consoles has a single next gen title out. Right now I barely turn on my PS4 except for when I feel like an hour or so of My Career in 2K14. Hell, still got my PS3 hooked up so I can use it as a media player, because my PS4 won't let me.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:56 PM   #2307
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Honest question but what Sony exclusives are there coming out in the next 15 months? Keeping in mind if the game comes out on PC I don't consider it exclusive.

Here's the bigger exclusives coming out that we're aware of through next holiday season......

PS4

DriveClub
Little Big Planet 3
Drifter
The Order: 1886
Secret Ponchos
Bloodborne
Uncharted 4
MLB 15: The Show

X1

Forza Horizon 2
Fantasia: Music Evolved
Sunset Overdrive
Halo: Master Chief Collection
Fable Legends
Halo 5: Guardians
Quantum Break
Scalebound

Not sure if any of the games are also on PC, but I would guess that if any of them were, it would likely be MS just because they sometimes create PC versions of their console exclusives. I'd also note that most consider Destiny nearly an exclusive, just because most of the downloadable content is exclusive for a year, giving the PS4 version a big advantage and tilting pre-sales heavily towards that version.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:07 AM   #2308
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Maybe we can start the PS4/Xbox One fight when either of the consoles has a single next gen title out. Right now I barely turn on my PS4 except for when I feel like an hour or so of My Career in 2K14. Hell, still got my PS3 hooked up so I can use it as a media player, because my PS4 won't let me.

You might want to download the latest PS4 update (1.75) in regards to media play. Helped quite a bit on the Blu-ray front.

As for next-gen titles, MLB 14 and Infamous: Second Son are both big improvements over their previous generation options. Killzone is also a very good single player shooter campaign if that's your kind of thing. There's limited options to be sure, but saying there's not a single next-gen title is stretching it quite a bit.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:11 AM   #2309
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
You might want to download the latest PS4 update (1.75) in regards to media play. Helped quite a bit on the Blu-ray front.

As for next-gen titles, MLB 14 and Infamous: Second Son are both big improvements over their previous generation options. Killzone is also a very good single player shooter campaign if that's your kind of thing. There's limited options to be sure, but saying there's not a single next-gen title is stretching it quite a bit.

MLB 14 is quite good but it also stripped quite a lot from MLB 13 (PS3). Not ready to call it a next-gen title. MLB 15? Yes, probably.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:13 AM   #2310
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Here's the bigger exclusives coming out that we're aware of through next holiday season......

PS4

DriveClub
Little Big Planet 3
Drifter
The Order: 1886
Secret Ponchos
Bloodborne
Uncharted 4
MLB 15: The Show

X1

Forza Horizon 2
Fantasia: Music Evolved
Sunset Overdrive
Halo: Master Chief Collection
Fable Legends
Halo 5: Guardians
Quantum Break
Scalebound

Not sure if any of the games are also on PC, but I would guess that if any of them were, it would likely be MS just because they sometimes create PC versions of their console exclusives. I'd also note that most consider Destiny nearly an exclusive, just because most of the downloadable content is exclusive for a year, giving the PS4 version a big advantage and tilting pre-sales heavily towards that version.

Destiny will be coming to PC. It's not an exclusive any more than Elder Scrolls or Fallout were Xbox 360 exclusives because they had exclusivity windows on DLC.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:14 AM   #2311
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post

Of course they are. They have a vested interest in obscuring the previous messaging and burying memory of the early "oops"ies.

Plus, until recently, they had a price differential to overcome. Sony will put some bullets in the advertising gun at some point, I'm sure, but at this moment in time, Microsoft needs the ad blanket more than Sony does.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #2312
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Drifter
Secret Ponchos

This holiday season the PS4 will have two games that are already available on PC, victory to Sony!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:47 AM   #2313
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Destiny will be coming to PC. It's not an exclusive any more than Elder Scrolls or Fallout were Xbox 360 exclusives because they had exclusivity windows on DLC.

Both of those games heavily benefited the 360 for the same reason. Call it what you want, but it's a huge advantage for the PS4 to have that game have exclusive content for a full year.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:22 AM   #2314
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

I've played Killzone and I own Infamous: Second Son. I don't consider either a significant jump forward from last gen to be honest.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:24 AM   #2315
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Both of those games heavily benefited the 360 for the same reason. Call it what you want, but it's a huge advantage for the PS4 to have that game have exclusive content for a full year.

It's really not, but keep deluding yourself. Destiny is a nice game. It's a nice game that's going to be available on five separate platforms - PS3, 360, PS4, Xbox One and PC.

There are precisely zero people who are going to buy a PS4 because OMG EXCLUSIVE CONTENT FOR A YEAR. No. They'll buy Destiny on PS4 if they have a PS4 already or are planning to get one at the time the game launches. They'll buy it on Xbox One if they get a One for whatever godforsaken reason.

If they either get wood over PC games or decide to wait on a price drop to move into the next generation, they'll get it on 360 and/or PS3.

The only world in which exclusive content for a year matters for a game that's going to be available on essentially everything but the Wii U is the world is what we call "MBBF's Dream World."

Everybody and their sister had the opportunity to play Destiny during the recent beta. It looks like it's going to be a good game. It isn't going to be a system seller. It's not going to sway anybody to one platform or the other based on anything but whatever decision they as a consumer had made already.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #2316
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

EA Access is going to have some sort of a bump for XB1 as well, especially with the big sports games coming out soon.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #2317
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's so true and you're spot on with your comparison. If the Xbox One manages to pull off a win like the PS3 over the 360, it would be epic at this point. I was the only one on this forum who predicted that the PS3 would pass the 360. Are you willing to go on that same limb in regards to the PS4/X1? I don't believe we'll see a second drastic turnaround like we saw last generation.

Honestly.. I don't care. I wouldn't be surprised if the XB1 makes huge strides starting with this holiday season though.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #2318
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Xbox One console included with Madden for 399 once Madden releases.

Interesting. Probably not enough to sway me to Xbox 1, but at least makes my choice a bit harder.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #2319
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Install times are unreal. Picked up the PS4 basically at launch. To this day that remains my #1 impression. Install times are out of this world long...and mandatory. I read that they were longer on XBox before I picked up the console. Not sure how or if that is even possible. Still can't believe they shipped these consoles like this.

I can download and install a full game off Steam (8gb game) in less than 1/8 the time that it simply took me to install NBA 2k on the PS4 off the disk. Ditto with MLB.

Last edited by dubb93 : 08-07-2014 at 10:51 AM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #2320
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Install times are unreal. Picked up the PS4 basically at launch. To this day that remains my #1 impression. Install times are out of this world long...and mandatory. I read that they were longer on XBox before I picked up the console. Not sure how or if that is even possible. Still can't believe they shipped these consoles like this.

I can download and install a full game off Steam (8gb game) in less than 1/8 the time that it simply took me to install NBA 2k on the PS4 off the disk. Ditto with Need for Speed.

Is there still a long install process after downloading games and patches on the PS4? While using Steam most of the time that's what always annoys me most with my PS3.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #2321
mckerney
Coordinator

With this an Dead Rising 3 it looks like the trend of XBox exclusives eventually coming to PC could continue this generation. Scalebound not coming to PC would have me strongly considering getting an XBox One though.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #2322
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Is there still a long install process after downloading games and patches on the PS4? While using Steam most of the time that's what always annoys me most with my PS3.

No. The patches are actually extremely quick to install. It is the start up process that took me 3 hours to get NBA 2K's data to my hard drive and 2 with MLB that just have wondering WTF they were thinking. These installs are mandatory and there basically isn't any way to avoid them. You can play a stripped down version of the game with limited teams, players, graphics, and no commentary while it installs, but I have found that pointless. Basically for each new AAA game you buy, you have to dedicate 2-3 hours to your PS4 just sitting idle.

As I said, I read when I did initial console research, but can't confirm that the XBox has longer install times. Either way, if you assume they both are probably similar in this regard, it is still unacceptable to me.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #2323
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I don't know about patches, but games still take hours while Steam on my PC takes 15 minutes or less. They both share the same internet connection, so that's not the bottleneck.

Both my XBox and PS4 have baffling long install times compared to Steam. I don't understand it. It's annoying as hell. And the XBox takes just as long if you buy the physical media, it must still re-download everything regardless of the media(is there anything on it?). Have not purchased physical media for my PS4, so I can't compare.

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-07-2014 at 11:12 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #2324
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Titanfall didn't take long at all to install, but that might have been because I still had the alpha and beta versions on the hard drive.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #2325
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Almost a year into these two consoles and I still haven't seen or read a single thing that has me interested in buying one.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #2326
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Titanfall didn't take long at all to install, but that might have been because I still had the alpha and beta versions on the hard drive.

If I remember correctly Titanfall for me was going for 3 hours before I gave up and went to bed.

Edit: That said, downloaded the DLC yesterday and I was shocked it only took 5 or 10 minutes. Granted it's just a few maps, but my expectations have been shot to shit.

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-07-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #2327
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Almost a year into these two consoles and I still haven't seen or read a single thing that has me interested in buying one.

You are right there.. I use my XB1 to turn my tv and satellite box on and off

Madden, NHL and FIFA coming soon as well as some other games that should showcase these next-gen boxes.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #2328
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I just wish there were more local multi-player games. COD is just a horrible game and is pretty much all I have right now for that. Can't wait for Destiny.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #2329
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post

But...but...that doesn't suit MBBF's narrative...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #2330
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
You are right there.. I use my XB1 to turn my tv and satellite box on and off

Madden, NHL and FIFA coming soon as well as some other games that should showcase these next-gen boxes.

FIFA 14 was an incremental improvement. I'm expecting FIFA 15 and NHL 15 to be sweet.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #2331
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I can download and install a full game off Steam (8gb game) in less than 1/8 the time that it simply took me to install NBA 2k on the PS4 off the disk. Ditto with MLB.

Like how the PS3 took a year to download a tiny as, and mandatory update(of course) every time I'd turn it on.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #2332
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
FIFA 14 was an incremental improvement. I'm expecting FIFA 15 and NHL 15 to be sweet.

Me too.. and I'm actually excited for Madden. At least EA Access will allow me to see if I want to purchase or not.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #2333
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Is there an echo in here?

"Xbox One will sell once Titanfall is out."
"Xbox One will sell once the price drops."
"Xbox One will sell once Madden comes out."
"Xbox One will sell once............."

This is what you hear in your head.

Here is what I think everyone else sees.

MBBF: Sony rules. X1 drools.
Person A: Sony is outselling M$, but M$ is still viable
MBBF: SONY RULES.
Person B: M$ does this well but Sony overall may be the better choice.
MBBF: Nah Ah. Sny does that better too. SONY RULES....M$ execs cleaning offices and preparing suicide notes
Person C: M$ had a good slaes month as did Sony
MBBF: SONY SONY SONY SONY

No one here is saying M$ will pass Sony at any point....but kep setting that strawman up and knocking him down.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #2334
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Patches I haven't had a problem with.

Install times have been hit-and-miss. MLB 14 took for-friggin'-ever to install to the point I could do anything. I don't know if it was downloading the extra data instead of installing off the disc or what, but it installed just enough to let me futz around in the menu, but that was it. I couldn't Derby, couldn't play an exhibition, couldn't start a career mode and check out the options...nothing. It was 2 hours before I could do anything but look at the menu.

None of my other disc-based games have been that onerous. When I rented Need for Speed Rivals, it took maybe 5 minutes. inFamous was reasonably short. When I downloaded Lego Marvel after it went on sale for $10 a week or two ago, the initial download was 8 gigs or so. That went about as quickly as an equivalent Steam download. Then it installed enough to let me play the first mission while it downloaded the rest in the background. It needed maybe an extra 5 minutes after I finished that first mission before I was able to move on.

I don't know if any of the system updates have addressed the install times or if it's just uneven and the next game I get will be more like MLB 14's interminable wait.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #2335
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Me too.. and I'm actually excited for Madden. At least EA Access will allow me to see if I want to purchase or not.

Like an abused housewife, each year I bring Madden into my house hoping it's changed and this will be the year it doesn't let me down. I'm at least expecting this Madden to be a significant step forward graphically and with a deeper career mode.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:48 PM   #2336
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
This is what you hear in your head.

Here is what I think everyone else sees.

MBBF: Sony rules. X1 drools.
Person A: Sony is outselling M$, but M$ is still viable
MBBF: SONY RULES.
Person B: M$ does this well but Sony overall may be the better choice.
MBBF: Nah Ah. Sny does that better too. SONY RULES....M$ execs cleaning offices and preparing suicide notes
Person C: M$ had a good slaes month as did Sony
MBBF: SONY SONY SONY SONY

No one here is saying M$ will pass Sony at any point....but kep setting that strawman up and knocking him down.

I'll second that opinion for sure! Makes reading this thread very difficult at times.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:57 PM   #2337
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There's an ignore button, use it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:47 AM   #2338
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
There's an ignore button, use it.

Yep.
But there is usually 2-3 posts per page visible in this thread.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #2339
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Like an abused housewife, each year I bring Madden into my house hoping it's changed and this will be the year it doesn't let me down. I'm at least expecting this Madden to be a significant step forward graphically and with a deeper career mode.

I'm with you here.. every year I say, it HAS to be better!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #2340
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

New Details Emerge on EA Access' Game Selection and Trials - IGN

More EA Access news.. games that go into the vault, stay in the vault.

Quote:
Each game is different, so each game’s trial will be, too. In some titles you’ll be able to play one of the game's modes for a limited time, while other times you can jump right into the full game." EA previously announced that the first games that will be available for early access are Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, FIFA 15, NBA Live 15, and Dragon Age: Inquisition. Speaking with CVG, EA COO Peter Moore said that The Vault - which currently includes FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, Peggle 2, and Battlefield 4 - will "get its share of triple-A titles." Moore wasn't able to clarify when new games will be added to The Vault, saying "New game additions will be determined by franchise and timing...there's no template, like 30 days after a game ships it goes into the Vault."
Moore also reiterated that EA has no plans to remove games from The Vault. "I think one of the key things is that once a game goes into the Vault it stays there, it's not going to be taken out, that's a commitment we've made.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #2341
Butter
Coordinator

Shit, did you guys hear that MS execs are cleaning offices and preparing suicide notes? I can't reveal my sources, but it's pretty deep stuff.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #2342
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Nice to see folders finally arriving.

Images from the next PS4 system update leaked, Showcasing new design, System notification and more - Behind Games - Gaming News!
Old 08-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #2343
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Consoles are slowly catching up to PCs.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #2344
Terps
College Prospect

Quote:

Update to the same article says it has been confirmed as fake.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #2345
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps View Post
Update to the same article says it has been confirmed as fake.

Sucks. Really need it.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #2346
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

EA Access is LIVE!

Just purchased a year.. downloading BF 4 and Peggle 2 now. Should be able to download Madden 15 in about 10 days.

Join EA Access Today on Xbox One - EA News
Old 08-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #2347
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
EA Access is LIVE!

Just purchased a year.. downloading BF 4 and Peggle 2 now. Should be able to download Madden 15 in about 10 days.

Join EA Access Today on Xbox One - EA News

Saw the move by EA to no longer do public demos corresponded with the EA Access release. Only available to subscription members. IMO a great move by EA. They've lost a lot of sales due to demos with warts or people able to play early and realize it's mostly the same game again. If they don't do demos, that doesn't happen. And the people who have the subscription already are already bought in anyway, so it doesn't matter if they see the warts/issues.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #2348
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Saw the move by EA to no longer do public demos corresponded with the EA Access release. Only available to subscription members. IMO a great move by EA. They've lost a lot of sales due to demos with warts or people able to play early and realize it's mostly the same game again. If they don't do demos, that doesn't happen. And the people who have the subscription already are already bought in anyway, so it doesn't matter if they see the warts/issues.

Do you really think they lose sales because of a demo? I'd like to see data to support that. The demos are like usually 5 mins of gameplay, so I never really take much from them.

It DOES matter for those who have early access because I believe it's mostly the full game, so they can basically play a "gold" version of the game to really gain impressions. Those who pay for only a month at $4.99 (or the full year) are basically "demoing" the game anyway and haven't bought into anything. You still have to purchase the game when it releases (but get a 10% discount).

I don't think it's much different than the Season Ticket they had for the 360 and ps3.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 08-11-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #2349
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
No. The patches are actually extremely quick to install. It is the start up process that took me 3 hours to get NBA 2K's data to my hard drive and 2 with MLB that just have wondering WTF they were thinking. These installs are mandatory and there basically isn't any way to avoid them. You can play a stripped down version of the game with limited teams, players, graphics, and no commentary while it installs, but I have found that pointless. Basically for each new AAA game you buy, you have to dedicate 2-3 hours to your PS4 just sitting idle.

Weird. On my PS4, both NBA 2K14 and MLB took maybe 30-45 minutes. Not sure why yours took so long.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #2350
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Really?

If I had an XBox I'd say "Fuck them in their ears" to that.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-11-2014 at 03:14 PM.