Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-04-2022, 08:05 AM   #23351
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Not a school shooting, so there is no thread for it. But apparently a mass shooting at a Copenhagen mall this afternoon, details not yet available.

Highly touristy area. My wife and I stayed in a hotel across the highway a few years ago and frequently used the metro station near the mall entrance. On the other side of the hotel, there's an arena where some sort of pop music concert is supposed to take place tonight.

A narrow escape we had, though with time travel being logistically impossible despite the valiant efforts of billions of science fiction authors, I doubt we were/are in any danger.

That was pre-COVID, of course. Travel in a spacious pepto-bismol pink jet plane (WOW! Airlines) at one-third the normal cost, with an encouraged one-week layover in Iceland, where there are no trees and the sun never sets this time of year (but you need a jacket, because temperatures are in the 40s and 50s). I could see living in Iceland. Fewer shootings than Denmark, no doubt.
I think I would enjoy living in Iceland as well.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:18 AM   #23352
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
They just live in completely separate worlds.

even projecvt runway was better than that
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:40 AM   #23353
Drake
assmaster

Cinema has now been around long enough that you can have sexual fantasies about the same movie actresses that your grandfather did.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 02:07 PM   #23354
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Cinema has now been around long enough that you can have sexual fantasies about the same movie actresses that your grandfather did.

Oooooo Vera ellen
Old 07-04-2022, 03:25 PM   #23355
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I think I would enjoy living in Iceland as well.

It's so different and beautiful. But it would be very hard for a foreigner to make that move. That's the way they like it, and I can't blame them.

Editing: I wanted to add my favorite new cocktail of sorts. I've heard it called an Icelandic Martini, but I don't know if it has any connection to Iceland.

Four parts Grey Goose Vodka, two parts espresso, one part simple syrup. Then watch the sun rise (or sort-of rise).

Last edited by Solecismic : 07-04-2022 at 03:39 PM.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:50 PM   #23356
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That Darth Vader protester was lucky that Joey Chestnut didn’t snap their neck.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:54 PM   #23357
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Alex Jones just coined the greatest rock band/album name ever.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:03 PM   #23358
cuervo72
Head Coach

I don't care about Meredith and her damned farm.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:16 PM   #23359
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I don't care about Meredith and her damned farm.

I'm gonna need some context for this one, pard.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:06 AM   #23360
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The offspring has been playing an online multiplayer game lately (Valorant) here in the batcave. And over the past few days, I realized something: I don't really hear players reacting to girls in the game the way I used to hear it*.

I asked him about that, he noted that a) it's less common on PC as opposed to consoles and b) that by & large I'm not wrong. That the online universe is now MUCH ... kinder & gentler ... than it was maybe 10-12 years ago.

I don't play much online multi where chat is involved (even passively) so that evolution was one that I really hadn't noticed until now.

Just found it interesting {shrug}

*I rarely heard anything horribly out of line over the years -- and gamer girls could generally give better than they got honestly -- but there was certainly no shortage of painfully awkward attempts to flirt.

Put me solidly in the camp of "Kids today would never survive an MW2 lobby from back in the day"

And of the hundreds upon thousands of hours I played some of those games, I still never heard a more adept trashtalker than a 10 year old British kid we stumbled across around dawn (U.S.) one Sunday morning. That kid is a legend here in the batcave.

We suspect he may have been the model for Cuno from Disco Elysium
Old 07-06-2022, 07:56 AM   #23361
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I'm gonna need some context for this one, pard.

YouTube ads (not ads on YouTube, ads FOR YouTube). Keep seeing her and that redhead with the huge glasses and the face of a 14yo.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:22 AM   #23362
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

When you said the Offspring I thought you were talking about the band.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:49 AM   #23363
Kodos
Resident Alien

Me too.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:35 PM   #23364
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The offspring has been playing an online multiplayer game lately (Valorant) here in the batcave. And over the past few days, I realized something: I don't really hear players reacting to girls in the game the way I used to hear it*.

I asked him about that, he noted that a) it's less common on PC as opposed to consoles and b) that by & large I'm not wrong. That the online universe is now MUCH ... kinder & gentler ... than it was maybe 10-12 years ago.

I don't play much online multi where chat is involved (even passively) so that evolution was one that I really hadn't noticed until now.

Just found it interesting {shrug}

*I rarely heard anything horribly out of line over the years -- and gamer girls could generally give better than they got honestly -- but there was certainly no shortage of painfully awkward attempts to flirt.

Put me solidly in the camp of "Kids today would never survive an MW2 lobby from back in the day"

And of the hundreds upon thousands of hours I played some of those games, I still never heard a more adept trashtalker than a 10 year old British kid we stumbled across around dawn (U.S.) one Sunday morning. That kid is a legend here in the batcave.

We suspect he may have been the model for Cuno from Disco Elysium

I was never a big online gamer so I don't know anything about how it used to be there. Here are my observation from watching my youngest play games online on consoles mostly.

1. Kids ARE kinder and gentler in general today compared to 10 to 12 years ago. I am not saying they are kind or gentle. Just that they are not as bad as the spawns of the devil that were teenagers around the turn of the century.

2. There are not a whole lot of random players in many of the multiplayer games I see them playing. More often than not, people are creating rooms to play with family members, classmates, sisters of teammates, girls who also play sports etc. and only conversing with those people. Even if it is someone they have never seen in person, they have interaction with that person via social media, FaceTime, text etc. If someone is unknown to most of the group, they are only there because they have been vouched for by someone they know.

3. Given what I said in 2., my guess is that it is not nearly as shocking to hear a girl's voice or interact with a girl while playing games online as it was 10-12 years ago.

4. RE: your comments about how the gamer girls could generally give better than they got. I feel like this gap has widened. The boys are pretty much limited to saying someone is a bitch or something similarly lame. The girls are precise, ruthless, strategic, and creative with their trash talk.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 02:36 PM   #23365
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

2. There are not a whole lot of random players in many of the multiplayer games I see them playing.

Probably 98% of what the kid plays here now is random lobbies, so I do get a different slice of that (while has a few friends that play some of the various sports titles, I don't think he knows anybody else that plays Valorant)

Quote:
4. RE: your comments about how the gamer girls could generally give better than they got. I feel like this gap has widened. The boys are pretty much limited to saying someone is a bitch or something similarly lame. The girls are precise, ruthless, strategic, and creative with their trash talk.

Literally the only trash talk I hear now targets "smurfing" and that's maybe one or two games out of a week. And because of that, gender really isn't a factor
Old 07-06-2022, 03:02 PM   #23366
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
YouTube ads (not ads on YouTube, ads FOR YouTube). Keep seeing her and that redhead with the huge glasses and the face of a 14yo.

That makes sense, then. I haven't seen a YouTube ad in...forever? My ad blockers filter all of the ads out.

Not totally true. I see them when my kid watches YouTube on the TV in the family room. But I'm so numbed by learning things I never wanted to know about Minecraft that I probably couldn't tell you where the ads start and the "programming" ends.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:07 PM   #23367
cuervo72
Head Coach

These are on FB/Twitter. So, posts essentially. On my computer yeah, usually don't get ads on YT itself. On my phone OTOH...
Old 07-07-2022, 12:25 AM   #23368
21C
College Prospect

I saw something mentioned about brown sauce, a staple in British and Irish households. I couldn't remember if I had tried it before but then saw it (HP sauce) on sale at my local supermarket. I thought that it might pair well with my weekly bacon and egg sandwich of a Saturday morning (post hangover).

I have been mostly disappointed with it. I usually have a chili ketchup with my B&E and the HP sauce was lacking in punch. I have tried it on a hot dog as well and it still missed the mark.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:40 AM   #23369
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I had a shepherd's pie at an "irish pub" in indy. It was FULL of salty brown sauce. Disgusting shit
Old 07-07-2022, 12:16 PM   #23370
Atocep
Coordinator

DISA can go straight to hell. They're making my life at work a nightmare. If you don't know who DISA is you're better for it. If you do and you're caught in the O365 migration I'm sorry. I hope things don't suck for you as it does for me right now.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:46 PM   #23371
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I had a shepherd's pie at an "irish pub" in indy. It was FULL of salty brown sauce. Disgusting shit

This wasn't 9 Irish, was it? I've eaten at the ones in Lafayette/West Lafayette a number of times and have never had an issue with their food. (Their base is more Guinness than "brown sauce" really.)
Old 07-07-2022, 03:59 PM   #23372
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
I saw something mentioned about brown sauce, a staple in British and Irish households. I couldn't remember if I had tried it before but then saw it (HP sauce) on sale at my local supermarket. I thought that it might pair well with my weekly bacon and egg sandwich of a Saturday morning (post hangover).

I have been mostly disappointed with it. I usually have a chili ketchup with my B&E and the HP sauce was lacking in punch. I have tried it on a hot dog as well and it still missed the mark.
I should have mentioned that brown sauce is a condiment like ketchup. Brits and Aussies call ketchup "tomato sauce" so I forgot that "brown sauce" may have been misleading.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:34 PM   #23373
Poli
FOFC Survivor

My cousin just busted in the WSOP on day 2. Went all in after getting pairs of Qs and 10s after the flop. River card was a Jack. He loses to pairs of Aces and Jacks.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:39 PM   #23374
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
My cousin just busted in the WSOP on day 2. Went all in after getting pairs of Qs and 10s after the flop. River card was a Jack. He loses to pairs of Aces and Jacks.

Playing in the WSOP is such a rush. Cant wait to do it again.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:02 PM   #23375
21C
College Prospect

Boris Johnson Madame Tussauds waxwork left outside job centre after he finally resigns - Mirror Online

Old 07-07-2022, 09:16 PM   #23376
21C
College Prospect

Benny Hill theme tune is now being played in Westminster - at Hugh Grant's request | indy100

Old 07-07-2022, 10:07 PM   #23377
Edward64
Head Coach

Starting to work out seriously and joined a strength-fitness program. Enjoying it but not able to keep up with others (yet) with the circuit training and reps/sets. But I'll get there. 3x a week so far but want to get to 4x a week.

Learn that chocolate milk is pretty good as a recovery drink (vs. the fancy stuff).

Also read about protein intake ... so 180lb guy needs to eat 90 to 144 grams of protein for each day of training.

Quote:
To increase muscle mass in combination with physical activity, it is recommended that a person that lifts weights regularly or is training for a running or cycling event eat a range of 1.2-1.7 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day, or 0.5 to 0.8 grams per pound of body weight.

That's a lot of protein.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 02:16 PM   #23378
miami_fan
Coordinator

Don't want to ruin the Biden thread so putting it here.

Based on those are the agreed upon definitions, people are proud to rail against that?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-11-2022, 11:40 AM   #23379
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Police bust a fake cricket league created to scam Russian gamblers.

India: Police rumble fake 'IPL' cricket league
Old 07-11-2022, 12:32 PM   #23380
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Police bust a fake cricket league created to scam Russian gamblers.

India: Police rumble fake 'IPL' cricket league

That story is pretty awesome. I kindof want more details.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:41 PM   #23381
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I've never seen a cricket match and even I can see this is fake.

Old 07-12-2022, 11:59 AM   #23382
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Amazon offended me.

I got my Prime Day email with about a half-dozen general deals, and then at the bottom it said, "Deals for you" and linked to a waterproof vinyl tablecloth.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 01:11 PM   #23383
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

How much was it?
Old 07-12-2022, 01:15 PM   #23384
Ksyrup

$15.99 - $4 off! What a deal!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-12-2022, 01:15 PM   #23385
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I've never seen a cricket match and even I can see this is fake.

Which camp is more likely to be the home of the snitch?

A) A jilted member of the scammers
B) A losing gambler
C) The real IPL
Old 07-12-2022, 06:53 PM   #23386
Edward64
Head Coach

Got a used Magic Keyboard for $155 and Hynix 1TB nvme SSD for $85.

Think I'm done for the day.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:28 PM   #23387
CarterNMA
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
DISA can go straight to hell. They're making my life at work a nightmare. If you don't know who DISA is you're better for it. If you do and you're caught in the O365 migration I'm sorry. I hope things don't suck for you as it does for me right now.

I think the problem is O365, not DISA.
CarterNMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 01:29 AM   #23388
Izulde
Head Coach

Prime Day did not excite me at all. Saw nothing I wanted to get.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:49 AM   #23389
Edward64
Head Coach

I had no idea there existed this relic. When the Dan Brown stuff was all the rage, I would have thought I'd read about this also.

Would be cool if this was "real". Should send some of the blood to 23andme etc. and see who is related to it.

Art Detective Says Clueless Thief Who Stole ‘Jesus’ Blood’ Freaked When He Found Out – DNyuz
Quote:
A glitzy copper box containing two lead vials with what Catholics believe is the 2,000-year-old blood of Jesus Christ will soon be returned to the French abbey in Normandy from which it was stolen June 1.

Dutch art detective Arthur Brand, whose sleuthing has led to the recovery of countless pieces of priceless art including gold stolen by Hitler and masterpieces by the likes of Picasso, says he was able to retrieve the blood vials and several other artifacts after the clueless thief got scared.
:
The relics were stolen from the Fecamp Abbey near Calais, France, after thieves hid after abbey was closed and spent the night pilfering artifacts just two weeks before the “Sacred Blood Celebration” was to be held in which the blood would taken out for worshipers to pray to. In addition to the blood vials—which have drawn droves of Catholic pilgrims each year for the last 1,000 years—the thieves stole a chalice, a ciborium, liturgical dishes, and other works of art and pieces of gold.

The blood in question was kept in a copper box decorated with blue inlays and miniature steeples and is said to have been collected from Jesus’ body when he was crucified more than 2,000 years ago and dumped in the sea in a sealed case. The blood was originally kept in the infamous Holy Grail and then distributed to various Catholic pilgrimage sites like the Fecamp abbey.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:08 AM   #23390
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Got a used Magic Keyboard for $155 and Hynix 1TB nvme SSD for $85.

Think I'm done for the day.

I ordered the Hynix at about 4pm yesterday.

We found it on our doorstep this morning. Crazy fast.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:05 AM   #23391
Ksyrup

FYI, if you have Chase Rewards and are eligible for the promotion, you can get 50% off (up to $15 off) of eligible Amazon-shipped items today. You just need to add the promotion to your account (there's a web page you can search to do this) and pay for your items with at least 1 Chase Reward point.

I bought a box of pens and 12 razor cartridge refills for 1 point and $22 after the $15 savings.

Not a major deal but cool for getting a small purchase pretty cheap.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:12 PM   #23392
cuervo72
Head Coach

Weis Roasted Red Pepper Feta Dip is so, so good; it's like Pimento Cheese After Dark.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:16 PM   #23393
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

That Munsters trailer is something else.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:12 AM   #23394
Ksyrup

Apparently I missed the date that I reached the Brimley/Cocoon line by just over 2 months. It would have been about May 10th.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:41 AM   #23395
Edward64
Head Coach

Another Gen X bites the dust. Join the club.

But remember, its not your chronological age, it's your biological age

You'll be getting your AARP welcome, join the club letter soon. I still toss them unopened into the trashed.
Old 07-14-2022, 09:23 AM   #23396
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Subway’s Major Sandwich Giveaway Was a Huge Disappointment, Customers Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
...unveiled an all-new lineup of sandwiches and a completely new way to order—by the number and sans customization

Ok, so I went into Subway the other day (my first choice of lunch place was closed). And this new line up they have seems just like their old sandwiches except you can't customize them and they jacked the prices up. Isn't customization kind of the thing subway had going for it? I want to be able to choose my veggies and my sauce d*** it! They still had their old menu(and general prices) but for how long?

ETA: The old menu is still customizable but I have no idea what they're thinking with this new menu.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 07-14-2022 at 09:37 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:30 AM   #23397
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wait? Subway is getting rid of the customization? What's the point?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:36 AM   #23398
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Ok, so I went into Subway the other day (my first choice of lunch place was closed). And this new line up they have seems just like their old sandwiches except you can't customize them and they jacked the prices up. Isn't customization kind of the thing subway had going for it? I want to be able to choose my veggies and my sauce d*** it! They still had their old menu(and general prices) but for how long?

from coverage of their new menu

Quote:
While customers can still add or subtract ingredients from their orders, the new menu is intended to create a more streamlined in-store experience. The launch is a major departure from the "create your own" model, which was traditionally the cornerstone of Subway meals.

It sounds like it's supposed to work pretty much like other fast food joints -- think BK or McD -- where there's a baseline and then you can customize

If you can't make changes then you've probably got an extra shitty franchisee in your area
Old 07-14-2022, 09:38 AM   #23399
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Wait? Subway is getting rid of the customization? What's the point?

SI

I edited my post. The old menu is still customizable. (And I guess the new menu is too)

Last edited by NobodyHere : 07-14-2022 at 09:43 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:43 AM   #23400
cuervo72
Head Coach

This seems like a mobile ordering decision more than anything. In person, it's easier to just look at what is in front of you and tell the person what you want on it. On an app, it's easier to have the options pre-stocked and then remove/add what you need (speaking at least from experience ordering Taco Bell, DD, CFA).