Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2022, 08:23 AM   #23251
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Man, haven't been into a steakhouse since Covid. But I do have a grill and feel my steaks turn out just as good as Ruth Chris et al.

I mentioned meeting a friend overseas in another thread. She said her favorite American restaurant was Cracker Barrel. She also said she and her son like that steakhouse that let you eat peanuts and toss the shells on the floor. She didn't remember the name but think it is Logan's Steakhouse?
Logan's. I think Texas Roadhouse does as well. The last couple of times I have been to Cracker Barrel have been disappointing. Their collard greens were just gross. They used to be very good. Jim'N Nicks had excellent collards but stopped having them since the pandemic. I miss good greens.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:34 AM   #23252
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Logan's. I think Texas Roadhouse does as well. The last couple of times I have been to Cracker Barrel have been disappointing. Their collard greens were just gross. They used to be very good. Jim'N Nicks had excellent collards but stopped having them since the pandemic. I miss good greens.

Tx Roadhouse stopped it a few years back after being sued several times.

We lost our Logan's here during their 2020 bankruptcy and chainwide shutdown. When they emerged after being bought out, ours didn't return :/

And CB has been suffering with declining quality issues for probably a good three years now (pre-Covid). They're rarely on my list anymore, supply chain issues compounded the food quality problem (limited menu suuuuucked) and I don't think the recent addition of alcohol sales chain-wide (where legal) is going to help matters any.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:13 AM   #23253
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Tx Roadhouse stopped it a few years back after being sued several times.

We lost our Logan's here during their 2020 bankruptcy and chainwide shutdown. When they emerged after being bought out, ours didn't return :/

And CB has been suffering with declining quality issues for probably a good three years now (pre-Covid). They're rarely on my list anymore, supply chain issues compounded the food quality problem (limited menu suuuuucked) and I don't think the recent addition of alcohol sales chain-wide (where legal) is going to help matters any.
I agree. CB is going the wrong way on quality. Still like their pancake breakfast, though. I also crave their corn-muffins.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:22 AM   #23254
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Man, haven't been into a steakhouse since Covid. But I do have a grill and feel my steaks turn out just as good as Ruth Chris et al.

I feel I've gotten to the point where I can do just as well as anything up to, but not including, high-end steak joints. Using a Thermapen and getting the grill to a really high heat are what's taken me to that point.

The high-end steak joints have it down to a science, of course, so it's always cooked perfectly, plus they have access to an array of prime and/or dry-aged beef that I really don't, or don't reliably.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:14 PM   #23255
Izulde
Head Coach

I always thought Cracker Barrel was gross even in the '80s

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:19 PM   #23256
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

I was always pick & choose.

Was the best full meal breakfast-anytime option around. IHOP pales in comparison (and quantity) and I haven't had a Denny's anywhere near me in well over 20 years.

The hashbrown casserole side used to be first rate, now a sad shell of its former glory.

The one exception to it being a breakfast food only thing for me? They had, for a few years, probably the best -- and certainly the largest -- chef's salad option around here. It was a damned meal unto it's self, something hardly anybody manages to accomplish with me, and definitely not for a $10(ish) pricepoint.
Old 06-11-2022, 05:34 PM   #23257
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The wife and I had the opportunity to attend a dinner party last night with some high society folks - most of whom were related to each other in one way or another, currently living in several states - and it's always interesting to "see how the other half lives," as they say. I'm talking kids attend boarding school, one 40-something is in his state legislature and running for mayor of a mid-large city, own multi-million dollar businesses, etc. What was most interesting is that it was a mix of older (60s-80s), middle age, and then some of the kids (15-21).

All of them very nice and fairly down to earth - although that may have been partially because they were with family and let their guards down some. But man... my daughter was upset we didn't find some way for her to come because there were a couple of guys about her age, ha!

One of the high schoolers said something about going to Africa for 2 weeks in July and doing a safari in Kenya and the beach in Tanzania and that "it's something that's been on my bucket list for awhile and I'm so glad I'm going to be able to check that off." And I'm like, when I was 18, I didn't really have a bucket list and it sure as hell wouldn't have included something as way-out-of-the-realm-of-possibility as a trip to Africa.

It was definitely an interesting night.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 07:14 PM   #23258
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I wonder how that board meeting went...

"I've got a wacky idea...our next restaurant should involve peanuts on the table. And you can throw the shells right on the floor!"
"WTF??? GTFO Fred!"
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:41 PM   #23259
GrantDawg

Cracker Barrel, other than the breakfast, has always been about the country-fried steak. That is still good.
Old 06-12-2022, 05:51 PM   #23260
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Dear student.

You know you did it.

I know you did it.

Take your punishment and stop claiming innocence.
Old 06-13-2022, 01:49 AM   #23261
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

I've been to the more "modern/trendier" breakfast places (e.g. First Watch) and to the simpler ones (e.g. Waffle House). Cracker Barrel is in the middle for breakfast. But decent for lunch & dinner if we're talking southern homestyle.

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-13-2022 at 01:52 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 01:51 AM   #23262
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Cracker Barrel, other than the breakfast, has always been about the country-fried steak. That is still good.

Huge helping of country-fried steak. But my favorite non-breakfast is the catfish platter and pot roast. Plus love the Virginia peanuts they sell in the store (but didn't see them when I last went).

Re: Jim & Nicks. I remember when they first opened their store near me, it was good. Then the BBQ seemed to decline in quality quite a bit, their BBQ has been tasting dry to me. But may just be my store.
Old 06-13-2022, 01:59 AM   #23263
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I was always pick & choose.

Was the best full meal breakfast-anytime option around. IHOP pales in comparison (and quantity) and I haven't had a Denny's anywhere near me in well over 20 years.

The hashbrown casserole side used to be first rate, now a sad shell of its former glory.

The one exception to it being a breakfast food only thing for me? They had, for a few years, probably the best -- and certainly the largest -- chef's salad option around here. It was a damned meal unto it's self, something hardly anybody manages to accomplish with me, and definitely not for a $10(ish) pricepoint.

Breakfast places I've been to include First Watch, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel, and Golden Corral (for quantity!). IHOP has always been disappointing to me (even way back in college).

Overall, for quality breakfast, I'd go to First Watch. For cheap & basic, can't beat Waffle House. For quantity, Golden Corral. Cracker Barrel is in the middle and nice for family meals.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:04 AM   #23264
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The wife and I had the opportunity to attend a dinner party last night with some high society folks - most of whom were related to each other in one way or another, currently living in several states - and it's always interesting to "see how the other half lives," as they say. I'm talking kids attend boarding school, one 40-something is in his state legislature and running for mayor of a mid-large city, own multi-million dollar businesses, etc. What was most interesting is that it was a mix of older (60s-80s), middle age, and then some of the kids (15-21).

All of them very nice and fairly down to earth - although that may have been partially because they were with family and let their guards down some. But man... my daughter was upset we didn't find some way for her to come because there were a couple of guys about her age, ha!

One of the high schoolers said something about going to Africa for 2 weeks in July and doing a safari in Kenya and the beach in Tanzania and that "it's something that's been on my bucket list for awhile and I'm so glad I'm going to be able to check that off." And I'm like, when I was 18, I didn't really have a bucket list and it sure as hell wouldn't have included something as way-out-of-the-realm-of-possibility as a trip to Africa.

It was definitely an interesting night.

Maybe you should have invited your daughter. Marrying into wealth is a great option!
Old 06-13-2022, 07:39 AM   #23265
Ksyrup

Wasn't my place to invite her, but yeah, had I known who was coming, I might have tried to weasel her in some how.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-13-2022, 03:08 PM   #23266
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I am on the phone with someone who, when speaking of a URL, repeatedly says it like the name "Earl." I've never heard anyone not say "U-R-L." Is this a new thing or is this just an oddity?
Old 06-13-2022, 03:25 PM   #23267
QuikSand
lolzcat

oddity
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 03:54 PM   #23268
tarcone
Coordinator

Norton Security sent me an email with a receipt saying $211 was taken from account for a year of their service. I called the 800 number. My wife checked the accounts. No money came out and they wanted access to a computer or lap top.
Must be getting older, I almost fell for it.

A

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 04:14 PM   #23269
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I am on the phone with someone who, when speaking of a URL, repeatedly says it like the name "Earl." I've never heard anyone not say "U-R-L." Is this a new thing or is this just an oddity?

I have sometimes said U-R-L but almost always say "uerl."
Old 06-13-2022, 05:23 PM   #23270
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I have sometimes said U-R-L but almost always say "uerl."

There is a guy at one of my customers, that for user acceptance testing, he calls it 'YOU AT', not pronouncing the letters U A T.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 05:35 PM   #23271
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
There is a guy at one of my customers, that for user acceptance testing, he calls it 'YOU AT', not pronouncing the letters U A T.

Hah, we call it U-E-T nowadays (Experience Testing).

I've always used and heard others call it U-R-L

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-13-2022 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:10 PM   #23272
Ksyrup

U-R-L is too many syllables. If announcers are going to shove oppo down my throat, I'm sticking with uerl.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:06 PM   #23273
stevew
Hall Of Famer

some teacher I had 30ish years ago called it ess-pen instead of ESPN.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:37 PM   #23274
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Rebirthing is a form of idiocy I have not encountered yet.

Candace Newmaker - Wikipedia
Old 06-17-2022, 03:41 PM   #23275
GrantDawg

Thanks, Crimsonfox. I will be throwing up now.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2022, 04:06 PM   #23276
GrantDawg

My nephew has gotten a regular show on an Atlanta sports talk station (92.9 the Game) on Saturday nights starting next month. The show is called "The Dopey Millennials". I couldn't be more proud of him.

Old 06-17-2022, 04:19 PM   #23277
PilotMan
Head Coach

That's very cool GrantDawg.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:58 PM   #23278
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Has anyone here used or owned an inflatable kayak? I live in a condo and drive a small car so a "hard" kayak is out of the question. There are several metroparks in my area in which I could use one. I want to get outside more this summer and this seems like a good choice. Also do you have any brands that you recommend or that I should avoid at all costs?

Last edited by NobodyHere : 06-17-2022 at 10:00 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:34 AM   #23279
Kodos
Resident Alien

Titanic brand inflatables are great—Unsinkable!
Old 06-18-2022, 08:30 AM   #23280
GrantDawg

I don't know where to park this, so I will park this here. Free Truimph!

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-18-2022 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:10 AM   #23281
Ksyrup

I'm 3 for 3 on watermelons this summer. That's at rarity.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:11 AM   #23282
Ksyrup

Also, a June 18th in Kentucky in which I can turn off the AC and open all the windows (possibly for a couple of days) is almost unheard of. Of course, the payment is that this weekend is sandwiched between 2 multi-day periods of mid-90s heat and humidity.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-18-2022 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:17 AM   #23283
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't know where to park this, so I will park this here. Free Truimph!

And this just happened to occur on the 50th anniversary of the Watergate break-in.

CoInCiDeNcE? I think not!!!
Old 06-18-2022, 12:58 PM   #23284
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Thanks, Crimsonfox. I will be throwing up now.

Now you can call me Fox...
Or you can call me Crimson...
Or you can call me Crimmy...
Or you can call me Foxy...

But you doesn't have to call me Crimsonfox...
Old 06-18-2022, 01:02 PM   #23285
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

This is the most important picture ever

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 06-18-2022 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2022, 01:33 PM   #23286
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Has anyone here used or owned an inflatable kayak? I live in a condo and drive a small car so a "hard" kayak is out of the question. There are several metroparks in my area in which I could use one. I want to get outside more this summer and this seems like a good choice. Also do you have any brands that you recommend or that I should avoid at all costs?

We have a Sea Eagle. It works, but I'd note two things. First, it is *heavy* We had visions of hiking it up a river, and that is just not doable. The material is, rightly, very thick. The inflatablenss is great for storage and portability. But don't think of it (like I did initially) as something you can throw on your back and hike for five miles with.

Second, it is fine for lakes and easy rivers. But it does not handle as well as a hard kayak. If you were planning a long trip or a trip over some rapids or something, it won't do that very well.

But for a day on the lake or a trip down the easy rivers? It works just fine.

tl;dr--they are heavy and not as good as a hard kayak, but they work well for casual kayaking.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:01 PM   #23287
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
We have a Sea Eagle. It works, but I'd note two things. First, it is *heavy* We had visions of hiking it up a river, and that is just not doable. The material is, rightly, very thick. The inflatablenss is great for storage and portability. But don't think of it (like I did initially) as something you can throw on your back and hike for five miles with.

Second, it is fine for lakes and easy rivers. But it does not handle as well as a hard kayak. If you were planning a long trip or a trip over some rapids or something, it won't do that very well.

But for a day on the lake or a trip down the easy rivers? It works just fine.

tl;dr--they are heavy and not as good as a hard kayak, but they work well for casual kayaking.

Thank you for your response.

I assume you had something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Eagle-Inf...ci_mcx_mi&th=1

I was thinking of buying this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F88P35C...605645035&th=1

after seeing it some "Best inflatable kayak" lists. We have some hot days coming up here in northern Ohio I was thinking of taking it out on a kayaking pond or maybe even trying the river with it.
Old 06-19-2022, 03:27 PM   #23288
bob
College Starter

It blows me away how many kids don't care about getting their drivers license as soon as they can. I mean, I didn't have my own car or anything when I was 16, but just having it was the first taste of freedom when I was that age.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:30 PM   #23289
Ksyrup

Driving was the biggest change I saw in the independence of my kids after walking and being potty trained. Completely changed the teenage experience from our parent point of view.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-19-2022 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2022, 04:39 PM   #23290
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Think of it this way: They've been living under lockdown since they became a teenager. Also, they have a lot more ways to socialize remotely then we did.
Old 06-19-2022, 06:20 PM   #23291
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

anyone else have VR? I have the playstation vr now. contemplating the metaquest 2
Old 06-19-2022, 08:37 PM   #23292
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
It blows me away how many kids don't care about getting their drivers license as soon as they can. I mean, I didn't have my own car or anything when I was 16, but just having it was the first taste of freedom when I was that age.

Do kids view all the rideshares as public transportation? Maybe it is similar to people I knew who lived in NYC who never learned to drive because of all the public transportation options there gave them their freedom long they were eligible to drive.

Also, it is currently an increase of 95% in insurance premiums in Florida once you add a 16 year old driver so I am guessing parents are not complaining about driving the teens around.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 08:39 PM   #23293
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Think of it this way: They've been living under lockdown since they became a teenager. Also, they have a lot more ways to socialize remotely then we did.

This particular weird trend predates Covid by several years.

I was having bewildered conversations with my kid about it 8 years ago (he was gung ho, many of his classmates were not)
Old 06-19-2022, 09:17 PM   #23294
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

How many teenagers can afford the price of gas/insurance/the car itself?
Old 06-19-2022, 09:29 PM   #23295
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I get the impression that generation is just apathetic about everything. As a Gen Xer I can't really talk & I'm not surprised given the state of the world/country.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-19-2022 at 09:30 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:34 AM   #23296
GrantDawg

My son is turned 19 Saturday, and still hasn't really shown any real enthusiasm in getting his license. He will say he wants to, but he doesn't do anything to work towards it. Considering how driven he is about everything else, it is odd.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:33 AM   #23297
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
My son is turned 19 Saturday, and still hasn't really shown any real enthusiasm in getting his license. He will say he wants to, but he doesn't do anything to work towards it. Considering how driven he is about everything else, it is odd.

FWIW, my son was motivated to learn and was driving to HS in senior year. My daughter resisted until near college when she realized it's to her benefit.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:57 PM   #23298
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Why would someone want to have their cake and NOT eat it?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:10 PM   #23299
cuervo72
Head Coach

Mine is 20, and is right now in a required (online post-COVID) driving course. Two weeks, each weeknight, 3-6PM. They were not looking forward to either the course or the in-car sessions (also required).

The primary reason for them to get it is (outside of eventually moving out of the house) to be able to expand their work prospects. Yeah, it'll be nice to be able to drive over to GF's place or to occasionally go to the mall or a concert or something, but that's primarily it.

Really, both my kids would love to be in a setting where a car wasn't necessary. Where work/entertainment/food/living were all in one place. City, walking community, however you want to envision it. (Ok, younger one does like to drive through local park roads to clear their head. But, would just as soon be doing that on a horse, probably.)
Old 06-20-2022, 07:05 PM   #23300
Silver Owl
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
anyone else have VR? I have the playstation vr now. contemplating the metaquest 2

I have a Quest2 and love the fact you aren't tethered to a console or computer.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote