Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #2251
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

hey guys, thanks on the kind words. race went REALLY well. or at least in line with what my training was suggesting, but I was about to pull the plug on the eve of the race it was so humid and hot. Was simply thinking about running it easy and saying f*ck it... At 6 am on Sunday it was humid but cloudy and I decided to start with the pace I had trained for and hold it for a while but be very careful of signals my body might send me, given what has already happened in the past. Felt some of those odd signs around miles 15 and decided to slow down just a bit to keep my HR under control and really felt the heat only for the last couple miles. Official time: 3:22:40, good enough for a theoretical Boston standard. Had to run 3:25 but when I say theoretical, it's before their cutoff which was at 2 min 28 seconds last year. Meaning only runner who had run 2 min 28 seconds better than their qualifying time were allowed to run Boston. Wait and see for now, but I'm quite zen with it. If it happens, it happens, if not, we'll keep on running. Got another marathon planned for September, Montreal, part of the Rock N Roll series and this year they are giving a jacket to all finishers in addition to the medal and shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
When he say 5 m run, that means run faster than goal marathon pace, correct?

I have been using Higdon's plan since I started trianing for official races. I like that they are simple, yet can be challenging. The back to back semi-long & long run on Saturday and Sunday toward the end of the cycle are very useful but you gotta be careful not to overdo it as these come at the end of big weeks. "5m run" for him is just that, a pretty easy run, at your easy pace. For me that's around 8:00/mile or so, maybe even a bit slower, while my marathon pace was at about 7:26/mile... Most running is done at a pretty easy pace and it suits me just fine... Consistency is the key. Don't skip workouts and if you miss one, try not to overdo it on the next one...

FM
Old 06-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #2252
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

just kinda proud

FM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4426x.jpg (285.8 KB, 288 views)
Old 06-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #2253
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

to go back on Higdon, I train on an intermediate II plan that I modified to add the speedwork from his advanced plan. Love it, simple, I run five times a week, Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursdat, then Saturday/Sunday with two days off. I have place my speedwork day on Tuesday and it alternates on a three week cycle between hills, 800m intervals and progression run (negative splits).

Currently on a three week relaxed break, running four times a week but plan to start a new training cycle in a couple weeks for my September marathon...

FM
Old 06-09-2016, 06:40 PM   #2254
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So it appears that Strava has dropped support for the RFLKT remote display. I've used this combo since I started riding again a couple of years ago. I didn't have my phone last night, as I used that as more of a series of quick rides to adjust my shoes/saddle/etc. But I tried to use it tonight, and no go. A quick search of The Googles shows that indeed they did drop support for the RFLKT and several other displays with the last update that was released at the beginning of the week.

It isn't too big a deal since you can also upload from the Wahoo app to Strava. But I wonder if that functionality is the next to get whacked.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:27 AM   #2255
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
So it appears that Strava has dropped support for the RFLKT remote display. I've used this combo since I started riding again a couple of years ago. I didn't have my phone last night, as I used that as more of a series of quick rides to adjust my shoes/saddle/etc. But I tried to use it tonight, and no go. A quick search of The Googles shows that indeed they did drop support for the RFLKT and several other displays with the last update that was released at the beginning of the week.

It isn't too big a deal since you can also upload from the Wahoo app to Strava. But I wonder if that functionality is the next to get whacked.
Not much to add other than I absolutely love my Garmin Edge 1000. Highly recommend it.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #2256
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I signed up for this virtual race thing called the Amerithon (www.amerithon.com). It starts July 4th and as a virtual event, I will be syncing my Garmin activities (walk/run and even bike, yeah I'll have to make an effort) in order to travel from the Golden Gate Bridge to the Washington Monument in Washington DC. It's 3521 miles or 134 marathon. :o

There's no time limit but I hope to get it done by the December 31st, 2017, so in about 18 months.

You can follow this link to sign up if you want and I will get a 5$ credit on my registration.
http://www.signmeup.com/site/online-...34?q12=BS2JCH7

It's also possible to do it as a team of up to 8 persons, where each does his/her own thing, but each person has to sign up individualy. As you will travel, you will be given links to 36 milestones videos to watch. For me, as a non american, this should be pretty cool to watch from the outside.

I went for the full package at $75, with a wall map, stickers, the big medal (6 parts that weighs a pound from what they say!) and a tee shirt, but registration starts at $25 and there's some sort of free upgrade if you preregister now (before July 4th). Of course, the free upgrade on the big package is free shipping... in the US, doh! I don't mind, I thought the whole idea behind the challenge was cool and I'm looking forward to watch my wirtual self move from the start to the end of that journey over the next 18 months

FM
Old 06-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #2257
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
With my knee seeming to be ok after the kneecap realignment, I headed up this past weekend to ride in the Tour d'Italia in Italy, TX with my Dad. He was excited to ride his new bike he picked up last week, a recumbent trike. We planned to ride either the 30 mile or 40 mile route, depending on how we felt at the turnoff where the routes split.

It was humid and around 80 degrees at 8am when the ride started. I was a bit ahead of my Dad, but I could still see him when I glanced back. About 6 miles in is the first turn, so I waited for my Dad to catch up. I was starting to get a bit worried when there was no sign of him after 10 minutes. Turned out he was riding with some other folks also riding recumbent trikes, and one of them had a flat about a 1/4 mile back from the turn. He stayed with them to help out.

Around the 8 mile mark, he started to have some pains in his hips from the different riding style of a recumbent. I stayed with him, but it got bad enough that he had to drop out at the 10 mile mark. I soldiered on to the first rest stop another couple of miles up the road. At this point, the temp had risen, and so had the humidity. The heat index was near 100 degrees. I felt really bad for about 10 minutes after the first rest stop. But that passed and I was doing better.

When I got to the split, I decided to take the 30 mile route. My knees were feeling fine, but it was getting really, really hot. I cooled down at the 2nd rest stop, and got ready for the final 10 mile ride into town. I think I made the right choice to take the 30 mile route. I was passing people that were riding the 40 miles, and they were looking like death warmed over. By the end of the ride, it was 90 degrees with 60% humidity, and the heat index was 106. My time was slower than I liked, but that was mainly due to the slower first 10 miles.

There was a bit of swelling in my most recently repaired knee after the ride, and it was still there the next morning, but no pain. So I've signed up for a couple of more rides, one at the beginning of August, and the ride out at Fort Davis again the middle of September.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #2258
HerRealName
College Prospect

That's great news on the knee. Saturday was just brutal North of Dallas with the humidity. I'm sure it was worse further South.

Speaking of which... my son talked me into entering a half marathon challenge with him. It is three half marathons, one each month of the summer. I have no problems running the distance a couple times a week with better conditions but at this point I'm going to be lucky to finish.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:29 PM   #2259
Kodos
Resident Alien

After looking at things closer, I realized that Hal thought I should do the Novice II rather than Intermediate I. He doesn't recommend that for first time marathoners. So far, Novice II is going well.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #2260
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
Next goal, do 5K in under 45 minutes. I think I would have come close to that if I had gone a little farther, but my knees were killing me.

Today I finished my first 5K (just running, not an official race). According to Strava, I did 44:19. Also had my personal record for 2 miles, and second fastest mile I've ever done.

It's slowly getting better. Next goal, 5K in under 40 minutes.

Last edited by Umbrella : 07-09-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #2261
Kodos
Resident Alien

Great job, Umbrella! Keep up the good work!
Old 07-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #2262
cartman
Death Herald

My knees did really well last week on our trip to Big Bend National Park. It was on a trip out there a couple of years ago that my left knee finally gave out. We did quite a few day hikes in some rugged terrain, and they didn't give me any issues. I tried to use Strava to track them, but it was acting strange when there was no cell signal, and it didn't seem to always like the external GPS I was using with my phone. It only tracked 30 minutes and two miles on one hike, when we were hiking for several hours and at least 5 miles.

What did end up bothering my knees was when we went swimming at Balmorhea State Park, which has a nearly two acre spring fed pool. I did a few jumps off of the 10 foot diving board, and my knees balked at the feet-first impact.

Now back to my cycling routine. I have a ride at the end of July, then the big ride out in Fort Davis again in September.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #2263
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I know there are a fair few decent runners here - I'm having real problems balancing my running with my love of playing soccer.

I've done a few (3?) half marathons and one marathon in the last year and was up to what I'd consider a decent pace for shorter races (5k's circa 8 min miles and 10k's sub 10) but have dropped off (now down by a minute or so a mile on my pace last year) largely because this year my soccer seasons haven't had a break because I've been organizing pick up games between seasons ...

This is great as I love soccer, but I'm finding I'm picking up minor knocks and strains a lot - I run 3-4 times a week (currently just 2-3 miles a throw most times with the occassional 5-6 miler thrown in) and play soccer twice a week for between 1-2 hours, any ideas as to how to encourage my body to accept this abuse more easily or should I just accept that the two aren't overly compatible ...

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 07-12-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:01 PM   #2264
Easy Mac

Tried running again yesterday after 3 months off due to a sore right knee. Took it easy, basically starting couch to 5k over even though I've otherwise remained active since the last run. My knee felt fine while I was running, actually the other one started hurting. About 7 or 8 hours later however, the knee pain came back. Its on the left side of my right knee. Was hoping it would at least be somewhat back to normal, but it looks like even 3 months later its still not.

Its confusing to me, because it doesn't hurt when doing high impact cardio. I did Insanity and am in the middle of p90x3, and my knee feels perfectly fine with all the jumping, squatting and stretching.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #2265
digamma
Torchbearer

Just to be clear, you're talking about your inner knee, right? If it was the outer knee it sounds almost exactly like IT Band syndrome.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:49 PM   #2266
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Its confusing to me, because it doesn't hurt when doing high impact cardio. I did Insanity and am in the middle of p90x3, and my knee feels perfectly fine with all the jumping, squatting and stretching.

Running form... Are you landing on your heel? The impact on your heel is driven right up your leg and onto your knee.

Versus Insanity and P90X, when running or jumping in place, you're likely landing on your forefoot, or the balls of your feet, which cushion the impact.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #2267
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Week 4 of C25K is so freaking hard. That is all.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #2268
Subby
lolzcat

EX2 Hemlock Trail Half Marathon

Ran my first race in 5 years and finished 1st in my age group and 3rd overall! Hands down the hardest run I have ever done with about 10 climbs of 75 to 150 feet with 10-13% grades. Humid as hell too - at race time (8am) it was 75 degrees and 100% humidity. My pace was more than two minutes slower than my road pace for the same distance, which shows what a shitshow this course was (in a good way!) I decided to run two days before the race, ordered trail shoes that came the day before the race, and didn't eat anything the morning of the race. Multiple bad decisions but it all worked out.

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 09-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #2269
digamma
Torchbearer

This is fantastic stuff, Subby.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #2270
cartman
Death Herald

Nice, Subby!

I'm heading back out to Ft. Davis, TX this weekend to once again attempt the Fort Davis Cyclefest.

Fort Davis Cyclefest Loop in Fort Davis, TX, United States | MapMyRide

I had to retire last year at the second rest stop, and found out when I got back home I had to have surgery on my other knee. Now both knees have been under the knife, and have responded pretty well. I'm still not able to ride anywhere near the speeds I used to ride, and I'm ok with the fact I probably never will hit those speeds again. I've checked my ego at the door, and picked up a triple chainring for the front to help with the climbs. My knees are doing a lot better on them, but I still can't get out of the saddle and crank. I just have to stay seated and spin for the climbs.

Only troubling thing about the ride this weekend is that the forecast is heavy thunderstorms the whole time. High altitude and electricity from the sky are a bad combo.

Last edited by cartman : 09-12-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #2271
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
Week 4 of C25K is so freaking hard. That is all.

Someone once told me, "If it was easy, every one would do it" (Subby, I think it was you, actually). Stay strong and keep at it!
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #2272
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

dola,

Speaking of Subby, congrats!
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:55 PM   #2273
Subby
lolzcat

Woohoo FOFC STRAVA GROUP DOMINATION!

Old 09-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #2274
Easy Mac

I was going to start running again, but I'm doing Insanity Max 30 between now and our 10th wedding anniversary trip in November. After the first day of that, I realized adding running would be death. Doing some mild dumbbell lifting in the morning and Insanity at night.

I will say I destroyed my calves the other night and haven't done anything other than pushups, crunches and pullups for 2 nights. I don't know if it was poor squat form or too much jumping with Insanity. Its miserable standing up, both calves ache when moving my feet while sitting, and I look like I just finished some weird fetish when walking. Slightly better today, but not great. My wife did some PT stuff to them last night, crazy painful. I literally bit a hole in the duvet cover when I clenched my teeth it hurt so much.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:26 AM   #2275
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Mo Farah training schedule

around 130 miles per week.

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 09-16-2016 at 10:31 AM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:13 PM   #2276
cartman
Death Herald

Finished the ride a little bit ago. Made it 55 of the scheduled 75. My uncle picked me up after the third big climb, and my knees said 'no mas'. Got a 20 mile sag, and he dropped me off at the last rest top to ride in the last 12 miles.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #2277
Subby
lolzcat

Lynn Kristianson Inspirational Super 600K

This is an endurance cycling "permanent" - an unscheduled ride that you can do any time after registering with the route owner/administrator. It's different from a regular 600k because it has more than 30,000 feet of climbing. Your completion of the route is verified using receipts and photos from control points along the way (pre-determined convenience stores, waysides, etc.). You must also do it within a specified time limit. This particular route had to be completed in 50 hours.

I started with 6 others at 4am Saturday morning. I was first to finish (although it isn't a race) at 8pm on Sunday night. I was able to sleep for a luxurious 4 hours from 1:30am to 5:30am on Sunday morning. One participant ended up in the hospital with rhabdomyolysis. Another one dropped out. A 3rd is unaccounted for and we aren't sure if he finished within the time frame. Three others finished within the time frame (including me).

This is officially the hardest thing I have ever done.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #2278
cartman
Death Herald

Jeebus
Old 09-26-2016, 11:56 AM   #2279
Kodos
Resident Alien

Holy cow.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:21 PM   #2280
AlexB
Pro Starter

Some things in this thread inspire me.

Some things make me think WTF.

That ride is in the latter category
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:53 PM   #2281
AlexB
Pro Starter

Dola - Kudos though to Subby: it is an amazing/bewildering effort.

And Kudos to Frogman for his brilliant marathon run

Last edited by AlexB : 09-26-2016 at 02:54 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:06 PM   #2282
cartman
Death Herald

Here's one in a couple of weeks for ya, Subby!

http://www.hillcountryrandonneurs.org/1000k.htm
Old 09-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #2283
HerRealName
College Prospect

I've been off for the last week so I log back into Strava, see Subby's crazy ride, and literally laugh out loud. Then I see FM's incredible race and Kodos' PR during a training run. Well done guys! It was a good weekend for the FOFC Strava group.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #2284
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I have been training at a gym, so you guys haven't seen me on Strava much lately, but I will be running the Long Beach Marathon on October 9.

Also, for those of you who aren't already following me on FB/IG, I am attempting to reach the minimum physical fitness standards for the Navy SEALs (what you need to hit to qualify for BUDS).

I am 43, BTW, so, no, I won't actually be applying for BUDS lol.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:30 PM   #2285
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Amazing stories here of late. Keep it up, guys. Subby, that's nuts. I might have to try it someday.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #2286
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Here's one in a couple of weeks for ya, Subby!

http://www.hillcountryrandonneurs.org/1000k.htm
I've heard good things about that one! Needs more climbing.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:27 PM   #2287
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hey guys. I have a racing etiquette question. I'm running the Hartford Marathon on October 8th, and my brother is training for a different marathon later in the month. He offered to join me around mile 6 of the marathon to keep me company/get in a training run. His plan is to duck out before the end so as not to do anything that would detract from people who have paid to do the race. I'm honestly not sure if that would be considered an acceptable thing for him to do (run along with me for 20ish miles, even though he's not in the race). What do you guys think?
Old 09-27-2016, 08:19 PM   #2288
digamma
Torchbearer

I think it depends on the race. People go ape shit (and rightfully so) for races that are really hard to get into when bandits run. For this one it is probably not a huge deal and it is a great idea and gesture by him to bow out before the finish.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #2289
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
What do you guys think?
I think it's fine as long as he only drinks water and brings his own nutrition. I did it a long time ago to keep my FIL company during the MCM here in DC.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #2290
Kodos
Resident Alien

Thanks for your opinions. I was a little iffy on it, but he's doing the things that were mentioned, so sounds like it's all good.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #2291
HerRealName
College Prospect

Subby is a freak of nature. That is all.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:15 AM   #2292
hoopsguy
General Manager

Yep, pretty sure that time is in line with Boston qualifying, assuming I'm in the right ballpark in Subby's age.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #2293
AnalBumCover
College Starter

On the other end of the spectrum, I got a DNF result in my latest HM race. I couldn't maintain RunDisney's strict pace requirement, and I got picked up by the sweeper vans at mile 7.

No worries though. As humiliating this experience may seem, It's not going to discourage me from running. Nor from signing up for more races.

I had been sidelined all summer long with bum knees, so my training was non-existent. But I had since recovered and recently slowly started hitting the pavement... Just not early enough for this weekend's race.

DLF > DNF > DNS
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:11 AM   #2294
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
On the other end of the spectrum, I got a DNF result in my latest HM race. I couldn't maintain RunDisney's strict pace requirement, and I got picked up by the sweeper vans at mile 7.

No worries though. As humiliating this experience may seem, It's not going to discourage me from running. Nor from signing up for more races.

I had been sidelined all summer long with bum knees, so my training was non-existent. But I had since recovered and recently slowly started hitting the pavement... Just not early enough for this weekend's race.

DLF > DNF > DNS
You did it man, that's all that matters. The more your do it, the faster you get. You lapped everyone on the couch.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:48 AM   #2295
Kodos
Resident Alien

What Subby said.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:40 AM   #2296
Subby
lolzcat

Richmond Marathon

I don't want to bore everyone with my marathon this past weekend but hey that's why we created this thread!

I think I signed up to run back in April with the full intention of training for 18 weeks using Higdon's Intermediate II or Advanced I program. My goal was to qualify for the Boston Marathon. Thanks to being Old As Fuck™ (45), I only needed a 3:25. Possibly doable!

That said, I also decided not to tell many people because I have a solid history of signing up for races and not training enough or at all. True to form, in the 18 weeks leading up to the marathon, I ran 34 times for a total of 219 miles. I only had four runs over 10 miles, with the longest run being 14 miles. Anyway, you get the idea. I didn't train enough. Yes, I had a lot of cycling in there, so that definitely helped my cardiovascular system. Anyway, I was too lazy to defer to next year so my plan was to maybe have a medical emergency on the course so that I could at least get my money's worth out of the registration fee. I was also going to drink a lot of beer at the Expo (latter mission accomplished).

Without going all travelogue, Richmond is a great, up-and-coming city with lots of shit white people like. Microbreweries, gastropubs, independent coffee shops, bike lanes, etc.. It also has shit no one likes, including hipsters, but sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.

Anyway, Fall almost anywhere on the east coast is going to beautiful and Richmond was no exception. The leaves were a million colors. While the temp was in the upper 30s at the 7:45am gun, it wasn't soul-suckingly cold. In fact, the wind cooperated and I was comfortable in running shorts, a light long sleeve base layer, and gloves. I also had a t-shirt sleeve on my head as an improvisational throwaway skullcap, but it did such a good job keeping my ears warm and the sweat out of my eyes, I never took it off. In other words, I looked like a fucking doofus. I also wore some hand me down Nikes from my father in law - a few years old with a thousand miles or more on them. Basically part tribute to my FIL and an ineffectual "FU" to the running shoe industry. Or something.

My goal was to run a 7:30 pace, but I went out fast and latched on to a group which was probably looking to run a three hour marathon. Our splits over the first 10 miles had us at around 6:50/mile. It was weird, but I felt good so I revised my plan to something way more irresponsible: hold on as long as possible and then finish on fumes and tears.

This plan worked great until mile 19 when the wheels came off. Or the legs. Yes, there was a voice in my head that actually thought I had an outside shot of averaging 6:55 miles for an entire marathon. I did not. Cardio was fine and my heart rate actually went down for the last 7 miles, but my legs and anything attached (feet, back, kankles) just weren't having it. I walked through some water stops and stretched a little and otherwise cursed myself whenever I thought for even a second about stopping. My average pace started creeping up 6:55, 6:58, 7:01, 7:06. Once I got to 7:11 with two miles to go, I knew that I was going to have to dig deep. I literally closed my eyes during a few stretches while I was trying to visualize finishing. The people along the route were predictably great, and one spot was handing out beers. I had a beer, of course, because my personal discipline is for shit. I also spilled half of it on myself, a smell which reminded me that I had been at much, much lower points than this. So it actually helped!

Fortunately the finish was straight down hill, so any illusion I had of my quads ever working again was mercifully ended. I did manage to scuttle across the finish in a just a shade over 3:10, which is NOT good enough to qualify for Boston if you are 35-39 (you have to be under!) Again though, I am ancient, so it was good enough for me to be a fair bit ahead of the 3:25 mark I needed. I finished 13th (out of 249) in my age group (45-49) and 175th overall out of 4,056.

Anyway, that's it. I really can't walk that well, but I'll heal up. I was so under trained it was ridiculous. But I qualified for Boston 2018 and I am definitely doing it. I am also going to run Richmond again because, well...I'm an idiot. Don't be like me.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #2297
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's truly amazing the way you do things like this (undertrain for a marathon) and they work out so well anyhow! A tribute to your overall physical fitness from the cycling. You are awesome, man. Awe inspiring.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #2298
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

amazing.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:50 PM   #2299
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

i just can't get over how amazing this is. it's so amazing it deserves a double post.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:56 AM   #2300
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

That's awesome. Way to go, Subby!

Puts more pressure on me to qualify so I can run with you.