Old 11-25-2010, 12:07 AM   #2251
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Dear UCONN,

I love you.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:42 PM   #2252
MJ4H
Coordinator

I did get to see my student on TV in the Macy's parade. Pretty neat feeling. I started him on trombone years ago and now he's an all-state trombonist that got invited to play in an elite groupthat performed on national television and he was one of the featured players in the front.

On another note: regarding today's eating experience, that could not have been healthy.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:15 AM   #2253
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Buckle up, the plane is liable to "turnover"

More likely that it will just fly around aimlessly for 5-10 minutes stretches. And if anyone shoots, you don't really have to worry about being hit

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #2254
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

About to head back down to Monticello for the night. GISA state title game as my son's original school plays for a championship. First week without HS football for his current school & what does he want to do? Makes ya proud as a parent, y'know?

Large Crowd Is Expected
Old 11-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #2255
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Good guys won at that HS game, 26-14. Tied 14-all at the half, and although I'm certainly happy with the outcome, the thing that I'll probably remember most about the game is the fearless performance by the big underdog who were still scrapping down to the final minute. They had lost to the eventual champs 34-14 at their own homecoming, barely survived the semi-finals last week, really seemed set up for a blowout. Instead, they looked like the more comfortable team in the first half & really gave the 13-0 winners everything they wanted & then some. Darned good ball game.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #2256
Poli
FOFC Survivor

This time last night my work laptop was just about dead to me. Woke up this morning and it went from bad to worse. Before I left for the day, it lost the EXE extension for all files and any reboot would remove the manual entry I made to replace it. It wouldn't connect to the internet and was swamped with a retardedly simple virus that I should have been able to crush.

I've been home about 3 hours now and nearly all is well. I still have this annoying "pop up" that opens a new tab from time to time on Firefox. It seems to hijack some of my web searches as well. Not sure how the heck to fix it since nothing I scan the computer with catches it....

But hey, it's running again!
Old 11-27-2010, 02:34 AM   #2257
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
I've been home about 3 hours now and nearly all is well. I still have this annoying "pop up" that opens a new tab from time to time on Firefox. It seems to hijack some of my web searches as well. Not sure how the heck to fix it since nothing I scan the computer with catches it....

If you'll Google the site(s) that it's hijacking to, more often than not it seems that between a few bulletin board posts around the net you'll find someone who has a step-by-step solution. Just be careful that the "solution" makes sense, occasionally there'll be further viruses linked posing as anti-viral software promising to "fix" the problem. On the whole though, I've had good luck solving those sorts of things with a few searches.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-27-2010 at 02:35 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #2258
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
If you'll Google the site(s) that it's hijacking to, more often than not it seems that between a few bulletin board posts around the net you'll find someone who has a step-by-step solution. Just be careful that the "solution" makes sense, occasionally there'll be further viruses linked posing as anti-viral software promising to "fix" the problem. On the whole though, I've had good luck solving those sorts of things with a few searches.
Sends me to a different site every time. It's odd.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #2259
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I went for a few months with my old XBox 360 having an issue of some sort (wasn't a red ring, but wasn't functioning, either). Finally replaced it but never looked to see that the new one (one of the new black ones) was working 100%, as I'd been playing some downloadables.

Yeah, went to stick a game in the drive today and found that the drive neither opens fully nor closes fully. Awesome.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #2260
molson
General Manager

I was watching some Sopranos recently, started reading about that finale episode, and was surprised to read that David Chase has pretty much confirmed that Tony was killed at the end. (he compared it to the restaurant shooting scene where Silvio was covered with blood before you even heard a gunshot, and also the Tony/Bobby conversation about "things going to black") - it's clear Chase is a little obsessed with what it's like to die in this manner, and the ending was his clumsy expression of that.

Which would be fine if there was anyone left who was a threat to Tony by the end of the series. But I guess that's the point. Sometimes you don't see it coming.

Last edited by molson : 11-28-2010 at 12:58 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #2261
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
I was watching some Sopranos recently, started reading about that finale episode, and was surprised to read that David Chase has pretty much confirmed that Tony was killed at the end.

First I've heard of this. Isn't that a complete 180 from his original position following the end of the series?
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #2262
Bad-example
College Starter

David Chase reveals the truth behind 'The Sopranos' ending

Quote:
David Chase has broken his self-imposed omerta. The creator of "The Sopranos" came clean about the show's ambiguous ending in book published this week.

So were those onion rings Tony's last meal?

Chase says that Tony did not get whacked, as many fans speculated when their screens faded to black following the restaurant scene
Old 11-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #2263
Bad-example
College Starter

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs...pranos-ending/

Quote:
As for rumors that the ending was setting up a Sopranos movie? "I don't think about (a movie) much," Chase said. "I never say never. An idea could pop into my head where I would go, 'Wow, that would make a great movie,' but I doubt it.

"I'm not being coy," he added. "If something appeared that really made a good 'Sopranos' movie and you could invest in it and everybody else wanted to do it, I would do it.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #2264
molson
General Manager

It's possible David Chase keeps changing his mind. Below is just one of the interviews I saw (and before that, a youtube video of the Silvio/dinner whacking that he specifically references as well)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ys_4XiNnJ0

R.Belzer: I was working with Steve Schirripa recently, we were judging Last Coming Standing for NBC and we were talking about a lot of things and he was saying he heard all of these theories for the show that had nothing to do with your intention and wasn't anything the actors thought, like little hints along the way, like a word, like when Tony and Steve are on the boat at the lake and they say "you never know it's gonna happen" or "you never know it's gonna hit you."

D.Chase: That was part of the ending.

R.Belzer: Oh, it was? See, what do I know? Were there other things in previous episodes that were hints towards it?

D.Chase: There was that and there was a shooting which Silvio was a witness, well he wasn't a witness, he was eating dinner with a couple of hookers and with some other guy and there was some visual stuff that went on there which sort of amplified Tony's remarks to Bacala about you know "you don't know it's happened" or "you won't know it happened when it hits you". That's about it."

So many other clues that Tony was killed - like all three family members eating onion rings in one bite, like a communion wafer, instead of anything resembling how people actually eat onion rings. I was convinced after watching it lately, but now, I'm just back to having no idea.

Last edited by molson : 11-28-2010 at 06:42 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:27 PM   #2265
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Took a little work but I finally think I got this beast taken care of. cr0zybaner.com was doing the hijacking and taking me to various sites. I found someone that had a similar issue. Using Hitman Pro, I found out it was a rootkit causing the issue. The person with the similar issue had the same problem as well. She sent me to kasperskys (?) and I downloaded tdsskiller...which took care of it.

Crossing my fingers, but so far so good!

Last edited by Poli : 11-28-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:06 PM   #2266
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I think the groomsmen and I will be strolling into the sanctuary a few minutes before the start of the wedding ceremony to the "Pink Panther" theme song.

With hat and cane, we'll walk in and I'll greet people as I walk/strut up to the front of the church. By the end of the song, we'll stash our hats and canes behind the organ and continue "business as usual."

There's a good chance our wedding is going to be featured in a local wedding-type magazine.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:07 AM   #2267
Suicane75
Coordinator

It can not be understated how improved you can feel mind, body and soul after a good #2.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #2268
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Missing a connecting flight and getting stuck in the Atlanta airport for 3 hours sucks, but getting a free upgrade to 1st class out of the deal is nice.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:29 AM   #2269
RainMaker
General Manager

So I'm winning my fantasy league, been in first place all season long riding the tandem of Gore and Foster. Gore goes down with a hip injury and my backups are sketchy, and I'm 9th out of 12 on the waiver wire. Ugh.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #2270
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

The advertisements on Youtube are getting out of hand.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #2271
sabotai
General Manager

Just watched Triumph The Insult Comic Dog at the premiere of Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones from years ago. Still laugh the entire time, including the very end when it cuts back to Conan. The look on his face is priceless.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #2272
Poli
FOFC Survivor

A tragic shooting yesterday in my "home town" of Bonne Terre MO has left four dead. It's quite likely another victim will be added once the connection is confirmed.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #2273
Poli
FOFC Survivor

One of my boys went in for surgery Tuesday to relieve swelling in his cheek. Fortunately it wasn't infection, it was lymphatic fluid. Most likely facing another surgery next week or so to try and fix the source of the problem.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #2274
JediKooter
Coordinator

Cool week at work.

Tuesday, had lunch with Walter Murch. Well, he was sitting about 3 tables down, but, was eating at the same time I was.

Today, was in a presentation with Seth Green & writing staff, showing their new Robot Chicken Star Wars episode.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #2275
DanGarion
Coordinator

Hey guys if anyone wants a gifted copy of Half-Life 2 sent to them via steam let me know. I've had a copy just collecting dust for well over a year and no one to give it to. PM me your email.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #2276
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Hey guys if anyone wants a gifted copy of Half-Life 2 sent to them via steam let me know. I've had a copy just collecting dust for well over a year and no one to give it to. PM me your email.

It's been sent. Enjoy!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #2277
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Just watched Triumph The Insult Comic Dog at the premiere of Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones from years ago. Still laugh the entire time, including the very end when it cuts back to Conan. The look on his face is priceless.

Classic stuff. Was it Episode 1 or 2? I forget.

It's kindof a random one, but my favorite Triumph was where he just tears apart Simon Cowell back when American Idol was at its peak.

Yeah, Triumph's a one trick pony that sometimes I'm just not feeling but sometimes, it works great.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #2278
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Buckle up, the plane is liable to "turnover"

More likely that it will just fly around aimlessly for 5-10 minutes stretches. And if anyone shoots, you don't really have to worry about being hit

SI

Old 12-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #2279
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Looking forward to getting the new Mark Twain autobiography.

I am, too, but I rarely read except the occasional book on tape on the way to and from work.

SI

Old 12-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #2280
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Went to a doctor yesterday with a sinus infection. The doctor walks in the room & my eyes practically fell out my head. This was a beautiful woman with breasteses that simply looked tasty.

She told me to take off my coat and get on the table.

It took a lot of willpower to not reply "After you."

Ditto for "Now raise your shirt."
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #2281
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Classic stuff. Was it Episode 1 or 2? I forget.

Episode 2. There was a part where they acted out scenes from Episode 1.

Found it on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zWNJHS9PBE
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #2282
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Having seen a couple of the classic Charlie Brown specials in the last couple of weeks, I've come to a crazy conclusion: Lucy is the literary forerunner to Cartman. She's a total bastard but you couldn't push the envelope in the same way that you could in the 90s.

Oh, and the voice acting (and some of he animation) in a Charlie Brown Christmas is pretty darn bad. The timing is just atrocious and it's pretty rough around the edges. Still, a classic.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-04-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #2283
Autumn
Head Coach

I read this before about the Peanuts specials, though I don't know accurate this is:

"The characters were originally voiced in the animated specials by actual kids - young kids who couldn't even read well and so had to learn their lines phonetically and recite them one line at a time, giving their readings a curiously stilted quality. This unique style became part of the Peanuts tradition, and continued even as the voice actors grew older (and were eventually replaced by a new set of kids). "
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #2284
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Sucks that they did away with Tangy Taffy, but at least they rebranded it as 'stretchy and tangy' laffy taffy.. still pretty much tastes the same at least.

I hate it when my favorite foods disappear.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #2285
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I don't know which is a more serious sign of how easy it is to lead the sheeple:
All the cartoon character pics on Facebook this weekend (in some random child abuse awareness campaign) or the number of people reposting the hoax about the campaign being the work of "pedphiles" (yes, that typo seems to be making the cut & paste rounds along with the hoax).

Damn people, you're on the internet already, is it really that hard to check shit out before you repost it?
Old 12-06-2010, 05:50 AM   #2286
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I just used it as an excuse for posting a LarryBoy pic. I didn't repost the child abuse campaign stuff as I rarely "repost" any of that kind of stuff.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #2287
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I didn't change my picture because I support violence against kids
Old 12-06-2010, 06:47 AM   #2288
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

1. Migraines becoming more of a nuisance. I'm currently taking Magnesium to help ward them off.

2. Had a spa date with the wife, the massage was excellent, I've been dealing with a lot of neck tension, especially when I try to sleep (this with a temperpedic pillow and mattress). Trying hard to eliminate whatever issues are causing the migraines. My sleep habits are to be mourned, I used to sleep hours, and wake up great...now it's just business, get eight but not fully rested, the more I stay in bed, the less rested I feel...

3. Watched Fight Club followed by the Big Lebowski without anyone interupting me, it was bliss.

4. I like the new Kanye album, my wife finds it odd that I like rap, which I really don't, but the difference between Kanye and say Jay-Z, is that I don't think Jay-Z would ever show weakness in his lyrics. I still think Runaway is just an amazing song, and Kanye makes it less about rap and more about music. I'll play this and then kick in Grindman 2, so my music tastes can go all over the place.

5. Work has become a slog. I have vacation time still left but I cannot use it (5 days will carry over next year). I used to love vacation too, I'd always take Thanksgiving week off and do nothing. Now when I take vacation time I have to go somewhere, I love staycations because I could refresh, now I'm always on the go. This I do not like.

6. One of my projects that needs to get done before the end of the year will be delivered on Christmas weekend or New Year's Weekend, I'm assuming it'll be a nightmare if my boss expects installation on those weekends.

7. Currently enjoying Keith Richards "autobiography"
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #2289
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
1. Migraines becoming more of a nuisance. I'm currently taking Magnesium to help ward them off.

2. Had a spa date with the wife, the massage was excellent, I've been dealing with a lot of neck tension, especially when I try to sleep (this with a temperpedic pillow and mattress). Trying hard to eliminate whatever issues are causing the migraines. My sleep habits are to be mourned, I used to sleep hours, and wake up great...now it's just business, get eight but not fully rested, the more I stay in bed, the less rested I feel...

Might want to have your eyes checked as a precaution. Sometimes migraines and neck tension are solved by wearing the right prescription glasses.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #2290
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I didn't change my picture because I support violence against kids

Spoken like a parent
Old 12-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #2291
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
I just used it as an excuse for posting a LarryBoy pic. I didn't repost the child abuse campaign stuff as I rarely "repost" any of that kind of stuff.

I didn't even bother with the pic, slacktivism really isn't my thing. The funny part is that this seems to have had an even less identifiable origin (or purpose) than women posting their bra color or where they like to leave their purse.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/cartoon.asp
Old 12-06-2010, 07:32 AM   #2292
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Might want to have your eyes checked as a precaution. Sometimes migraines and neck tension are solved by wearing the right prescription glasses.

Thanks, I actually did get them check and got new glasses back in May. Truely, I've tried to rule out tons of things. I know red wine has been the cause of certain triggers in me. I believe it may be stress related.

Migraines:

1)I have had my eyes checked
2)Exercise (though lately been slacking)
3)New mattress (Temperpedic)
4)New pillow (again Temperpedic)
5)8 hours sleep minimum
6)Better diet, little or no caffeine near bed, nor sugar
7)Magnesium (the newest contender 500mg)
8)Visiting allergist today (some of the migraines have been more of a sinus related issue in that I get a lot of sinus pressure, that travels underneath the eyes, behind the eyes and then rises up to the temples, and from there I get a terrible headache).

My migraines can be just a dull pulsing, difficultly concentrating, light sensitivity, exhaustion...to the full bore vomiting, sleeping an entire day, no appetite, light sensitivity, need to be drugged to sleep...neck tension has been something new but I'm assuming it's stress related...(lots of stressful things going on in my life lately).
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 12-06-2010, 07:39 AM   #2293
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
I didn't even bother with the pic, slacktivism really isn't my thing. The funny part is that this seems to have had an even less identifiable origin (or purpose) than women posting their bra color or where they like to leave their purse.

I really minimize what I provide on facebook...solidarity is all well and good but it does very little to solving the actual issue.

I hated, /hated/ back at college where they would spring up "wear blue jeans in support of" a certain lifestyle...now mind you, I wasn't averse to other people's lifestyle choices, but it was to me a very lame attempt. Most college students wear jeans, so we're you really shooting for support or just claiming that because a ton of people were wearing jeans that they supported your cause...

My wife just was chatting about PETA and how she was feeling guilty about eating meat and I stated that it's people like PETA that turn me "conservative", I mean the ultimate goal of PETA is control which is no different than a right winger. She started to spout whatever was in the brochure but I waved it off....food is food. I stated that killing is killing, and while I could support that certain processes were probably not the best (stacking chickens on top of chickens) that that was a corporate structure issue...but ultimate PETA wants to guilt trip me into not eating meat at all which isn't going to happen. Needless to say, we're having brisket tomorrow.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:40 AM   #2294
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:

Or flipping Mommy's week or Proud of Your Daughter week or whatever. I keep saying I'm going to make a Single Guy Week post and spread it.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:54 AM   #2295
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
My migraines can be just a dull pulsing, difficultly concentrating, light sensitivity, exhaustion...to the full bore vomiting, sleeping an entire day, no appetite, light sensitivity, need to be drugged to sleep...neck tension has been something new but I'm assuming it's stress related...(lots of stressful things going on in my life lately).

You mentioned the red wine, are you being careful with other nitrate related triggers? Turkey & hot dogs are two things my migraine-suffering wife has to avoid like the plague. Both are pretty much guaranteed 2-day headaches for her.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #2296
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
You mentioned the red wine, are you being careful with other nitrate related triggers? Turkey & hot dogs are two things my migraine-suffering wife has to avoid like the plague. Both are pretty much guaranteed 2-day headaches for her.

I'll look into the turkey...we rarely have hot dogs. I think the biggest challenge is that I love chicken and would routinely eat chicken and vegetables...my wife hates chicken unless it's coated in some slurry of sauce. I do need to regulate the diet, I'm not fat, hovering around 178 lbs and 5feet7, but it's lean muscle...I have to get back to lifting to get into a better shape.

I think a lot of it anymore is the hour commute, gonna have to move closer to work...there are home and work stresses that probably aggravate...the neck tension/pain is new, been around for the past few months....the massages have helped.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #2297
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I am, too, but I rarely read except the occasional book on tape on the way to and from work.

SI

Books on tape aren't bad at all. That's all I listened to when I had a 72 mile one way commute to work a few years back.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 12-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #2298
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Books on tape aren't bad at all. That's all I listened to when I had a 72 mile one way commute to work a few years back.

Damn. I would hate to have a job where they didn't let me leave.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #2299
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Damn. I would hate to have a job where they didn't let me leave.

Haha! There were days that it felt like it. Ok, it was 144 miles round trip for the commute.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #2300
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
My old high school had their 31 game winning streak snapped in the state championship game on Saturday. They were down by 3 late in the game, and moved to the opponents 20 with around 35 seconds left. A pick in the corner of the end zone sealed their fate.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote