Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #2251
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Bobby Lashley? That was a shock.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #2252
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Foley is the new TNA World Champion, escaping the cage just a second before Sting. Very slow pace, barbed wire bat used by both, Foley trying to be the heel I guess, crowd really never seemed to get into it.

Promo for Sacrifice airs afterwards, with Styles doing a Gears of War looking promo "I'm not a video game character, there's no reset switch, you can't make me jump higher" schtick.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #2253
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Having Sting as champ was bad enough, but Foley? Yep, TNA is really putting over their young guys well.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:40 PM   #2254
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Having Sting as champ was bad enough, but Foley? Yep, TNA is really putting over their young guys well.

I don't have to like it either, but the ratings during the Sting-Foley feud have been their best to date.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:16 PM   #2255
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Gotta give Raw some credit, fans in London got their money's worth out of Cena vs Jericho.

edit: Of course, just as I hit post, they go without a clean finish.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-20-2009 at 09:17 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #2256
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

It's nice to see Big Show getting a huge push but I am afraid that he is just going to job out his momentum to Triple H.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:20 AM   #2257
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Gotta give Raw some credit, fans in London got their money's worth out of Cena vs Jericho.

edit: Of course, just as I hit post, they go without a clean finish.

well they cant have superman actually lose can they?
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #2258
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Thought some of you wrestling fans might be interested in this stuff. There's a local sports channel that's doing a documentary about the old days of regional wrestling in the Midwest. I used to watch the local wrestling show every Sunday morning (it was a tape of the Saturday Night event in downtown KC).

Here's a good gallery of old photos and more recent photos of some old-school wrestlers.

A look back at Kansas City area professional wrestlers - Photo Gallery - Kansas City Star

Here's the article about it..........

Documentary examines pro wrestling's history in Kansas City - Kansas City Star

Here's a nice tribute site that has a ton of information and old photos.

http://www.oldschool-wrestling.com/c...ateswrestling/
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:43 PM   #2259
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That little spot just now on Impact is probably going to be underrated but it really deserves some notice for its sheer stupidity.

Yes, Scott Steiner really did just hop up & down on a pogo stick until Jarrett could hit him with a clothesline.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #2260
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Judgement Day?

/crickets
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #2261
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Backlash was a great PPV. All the wrestling was fantastic. Edge vs Cena was as good as their previous stuff and even the Six Man was highly entertaining.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #2262
DeToxRox
Head Coach

WSOC-TV in Charlotte is reporting that Reid Flair (real name Richard Fliehr) is facing felony charges following an arrest this past Sunday. Fliehr was arrested and charged with driving while impaired and driving with a revoked license (his license was revoked following a previous arrest). However, the felony charge will be for heroin that Charlotte-Mecklenburg police found in his vehicle. The 21-year-old Fliehr was released from jail after posting bond.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #2263
Tigercat
College Starter

Why is he not limo ridin'? Damn you Rick, what the hell are you teaching these kids?
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #2264
molson
General Manager

Woooooooooooo!

Backlash sounds good, but these PPVs are getting closer and closer all the time. 3 weeks after mania? How many PPVs does the WWE do in a year now, like 18?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #2265
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Raw got a good pop from the crowd for that stunt but I have a tough time believing that having a non-wrestler get over against the guy holding your title is a good idea.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #2266
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Kinda sad that the best match of the night on a PPV may turn out to be the opener.

Lethal, Creed, and EY vs MCMG & Bashir.

Hell, the pre-show match of Red vs Kiyoshi was more interesting to me than most of the old-timers game that poses as tonight's card.

But ratings are up for TV (although not the PPV by a corresponding amount) so maybe they're right & I'm just not the target. {shrug}
Old 05-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #2267
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

{scratches head}

Look, as dumb as the whole Dr. Stevie concept is, I'm not sure it isn't even dumber to put Taylor Wilde in a Monster's Ball match against Daffney. Don't get me wrong, I think both are capable of working the style just fine but nobody is going to buy Taylor as a hardcore wrestler even if she bleeds by the bucket. And since no one gave a real damn about Stevie Richards when he actually had a career why the fuck are you shoving him down our throats now?

Separately, how dead is Rhino's career in TNA at this point? Other than the paycheck he'd be better off as the NWA World Champion than being an afterthought.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:58 PM   #2268
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And if this isn't the worst match in Daniels TNA career I can't think of what it would be.

I don't think I've ever seen him lose a crowd before but either he was working down to Kaz's current level or both guys were flat as a pancake.

edit to add: And that's even without the screwy false finish.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-24-2009 at 07:59 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #2269
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Promising three "former World Champions" will appear on Impact this week, just text to whatevernumbergivesusalittlecash.

Screw that, I'll just surf the net
Spoiler
Old 05-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #2270
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think they got quite a bit more out of Beer Money vs The British Invasion than anyone would have expected coming in. First time the crowd has really been hot for anything since the opener.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:19 PM   #2271
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Gotta find something for the Survivor alum to do I guess.

Jenna throws in the towel on Booker's behalf in the I Quit match, outraging Sharmel & basically accomplishing nothing except continuing a feud between two bitches that I shouldn't even be on TV any more much less anywhere near the ring.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:39 PM   #2272
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yes, Mick Foley has stopped wrestling in the middle of the TNA World Heavyweight Title match to join Mike & Don at the announce table.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #2273
Flasch186
Coordinator

hmmmm, I thought Victoria was training for an MMA career {shrug}

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #2274
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

After pretty much everybody took a finisher from somebody, Jarrett Strokes Angle off the turnbuckle into a chair and Sting slides in to steal the pin.

That gives Sting control of the Main Event Mafia, leaves Foley in place as the champ, lets Jarrett keep his "voting shares", and I guess gives Angle time off to go film his part in a movie.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #2275
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
hmmmm, I thought Victoria was training for an MMA career {shrug}

Like Lashley, she intends to do both apparently.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #2276
Flasch186
Coordinator

I always thought she was one of the most talented wrestlers when I was watching and was used horribly....just horribly, probably because she wanted to wrestle and not make out with other girls and stuff.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #2277
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
And if this isn't the worst match in Daniels TNA career I can't think of what it would be.

I don't think I've ever seen him lose a crowd before but either he was working down to Kaz's current level or both guys were flat as a pancake.

edit to add: And that's even without the screwy false finish.

so i admit i stopped watching tna for a while.. how/when did daniels get to come back unmasked?
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:29 AM   #2278
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I believe the Feast or Fired stipulation was a year long banishment, but I'm not 100% certain on this. Daniels did a year as Curry Man, but then Curry Man was banished when he won the fired briefcase this year. Daniels just recently returned as himself to help AJ and Jarrett.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
so i admit i stopped watching tna for a while.. how/when did daniels get to come back unmasked?
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:50 AM   #2279
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Daniels (storyline) departure was a simple "you're fired, now you have to leave" affair as far as I recall. He of course returned in the guise of Curry Man for a year, and naturally the hot & spicy one drew the "fired" briefcase this year. Jeff Jarrett then brought Daniels back as part of his team at one of the War Games knock off matches.

Incidentally also making their TNA debuts at last night's tapings were Elijah Burke (working as a face) and Shawn Spears (working under some name like Shields).
Old 05-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #2280
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Daniels (storyline) departure was a simple "you're fired, now you have to leave" affair as far as I recall. He of course returned in the guise of Curry Man for a year, and naturally the hot & spicy one drew the "fired" briefcase this year. Jeff Jarrett then brought Daniels back as part of his team at one of the War Games knock off matches.

Incidentally also making their TNA debuts at last night's tapings were Elijah Burke (working as a face) and Shawn Spears (working under some name like Shields).

Oh, i have no problem with the "He's hot! He's Spicy!" one as it made me laugh...

thanks for the updates.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #2281
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The following was issued by TNAwrestling.com:

CURTIS GRANDERSON SIGNS FOR DUAL ROLE WITH TNA WRESTLING
Detroit Tigers outfielder set to appear at Slammiversary 7 on June 21 at The Palace of Auburn Hills

Curtis Granderson has agreed to a dual, high-profile role at “Slammiversary 7,” scheduled for June 21 at The Palace of Auburn Hills, it was announced today.

Granderson, the All-Star outfielder for the Detroit Tigers and a life-long pro wrestling fan, will be an integral part of Total Nonstop Action (TNA) Wrestling’s 7th anniversary show, airing live on pay-per-view and featuring such stars as Kurt Angle, Kevin Nash, Sting, AJ Styles, Scott Steiner, Jeff Jarrett and reigning TNA World Heavyweight Champion Mick Foley.

Granderson will serve as the Keeper of the Title for the inaugural X-Division King of the Mountain match, which will showcase the high-flying, death-defying X-Division stars.

Granderson also will be a color commentator for that match, alongside Mike Tenay and Don West.

“I am excited to be a part of Slammiversary 7 and TNA Wrestling,” Granderson said. “It is a strong organization that provides amazing entertainment to sports fans at a value not provided by most sports entities. The opportunity to work with this historic event was not one I could pass up.

“I am an avid fan of pro wrestling and TNA Wrestling in particular. I have attended numerous TNA shows in Orlando with family, friends and teammates, and it is truly a one-of-a-kind experience. I expect only the biggest and best to come out for Slammiversary 7 at The Palace of Auburn Hills.”

Slammiversary 7 features seven matches, including a King of the Mountain Match for the TNA World Championship.

“I take the role of Keeper of the Title seriously,” Granderson said. “The X Division’s best will by vying for this belt in a King of the Mountain Match, but it won’t just be handed to them. I expect all of the competitors to fight a tough match, and I will relinquish the belt once they meet my standards of a champion.”

“Slammiversary 7” will mark the 7th anniversary of TNA Wrestling and TNA’s return to the Detroit area for the first time since “Bound For Glory 2006,” which was the first time TNA held a pay-per-view event outside of the “iMPACT! Zone” in Orlando, Fla.

“We’re thrilled and honored that Curtis has agreed to be a part of Slammiversary 7,” said TNA Wrestling President Dixie Carter. “Curtis isn’t just a great baseball player, but a wonderful person, a great humanitarian. His charity, The Grand Kids Foundation, was established in 2008 as an educational-based organization and it does wonders to help needy kids.

“TNA Wrestling is honored to support The Grand Kids Foundation and will be making a sizeable donation to Curtis’ foundation at Slammiversary 7, and we strongly encourage all TNA fans to make a donation to The Grand Kids Foundation.”

Donations to the Grand Kids Foundation will go towards purchasing school supplies for needy families/kids, books and supplies for schools which do not get the funding they always need, establishing baseball programs as well as providing equipment and facilities in some of Michigan’s inner-cities and eventually a scholarship program for graduating high school seniors.

Both of Curtis’ parents served as educators in the Chicago area while he was a child. Curtis is one of only a handful of MLB players with a college degree. Curtis graduated from the University of Illinois-Chicago in 2002 with degrees in Business Marketing and Business Management.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:24 PM   #2282
Comey
College Starter

I would love it if, at Slammiversary, none of them reached his "standards" and he just kept it and wore it to CF at the next Tigers' game in Detroit to rub it in.

I've never seen more than a minute of TNA. But that would be fantastic.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:12 PM   #2283
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Speaking of baseball - here's one right out of left field...

WWE releases Mr. Kennedy...
...Kennedy:

hxxp://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/WWE_News_3/article_32427.shtml
Old 05-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #2284
Comey
College Starter

According to many, this had been coming for a long time. Once they felt he couldn't make The Leap, they were really cold on him.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #2285
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Apparently Kennedy also made an enemy in Orton on Monday when he almost killed him botching a suplex. He also hurt his wrist taking that RKO so in his debut he went 0/2 and it really isn't a shock.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #2286
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Apparently Batista is out four to six months with a torn bicep.

What awful luck this guy has. It seems like every time he's back in the ring, he suffers some sort of freak muscle tear. It's the kind of injury that's virtually unheard of in sports, and yet they seem to happen to him all the time. What terrible luck.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 06-09-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #2287
Comey
College Starter

Steroids lead to bad luck, yes.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #2288
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Steroids lead to bad luck, yes.
BUT HE'S NEVER FAILED A TEST!!!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #2289
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sad news, as Japanese legend Mitsuharu Misawa died over the weekend at the age of 47. In the middle of an otherwise routine match, he took a backdrop & didn't get up. Most reports seem to suspect a heart attack, the family has opted not to have the cause of death released. Regardless, far too young to lose a real icon.

Rest In Peace.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:54 AM   #2290
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

A real icon, indeed. I used to get tapes from Herb Kunze on r.s.p-w and there was always a healthy dose of Misawa to enjoy. I can;'t imagine how tragic that played out in real-time. Godspeed, Misawa...you will be missed.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #2291
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I've always been in awe of Misawa.

My friend introduced puroresu to me by showing me his tapes of matches, and when we got a Japanese wrestling channel, it was always a must to watch any matches involving Mitsuharu Misawa, Jun Akiyama (EXPRRRRRROOOODDAAAAA!!!!), and Kenta Kobashi.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #2292
duckman
Pro Starter

This is some funny shit.

“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #2293
duckman
Pro Starter

“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
Old 07-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #2294
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Just got back from the Smackdown and ECW house show here in Manila.

Christian / Swagger / Dreamer match was fun.

Chris Jericho vs. Rey Mysterio stole the night, with the crowd trying hard to turn Jericho face no matter how dastardly he was.

Main event was CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy, and they mailed in a performance that ended with a lame reverse pinfall by Punk on Hardy. Crowd was NOT pleased with how the night ended.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #2295
Flasch186
Coordinator

Duckman, what is the backstory on this? the videos that is? I liked him...

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 07-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #2296
Comey
College Starter

The backstory (if what I recall is correct) is that they released Ken Anderson out of the blue (though it had been coming, the timing was definitely interesting, as they were cutting promos to hype his return to RAW). He has to sit out 90 days...so this has to be his attempt to stay relevant.

Last edited by Comey : 07-10-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #2297
Flasch186
Coordinator

so is he just simply making those themselves or is there 'someone' or 'some fed' working with him on these?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 07-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #2298
duckman
Pro Starter

This is of his own doing. If a fed was involved, the WWE could sue for breach of contract.
Quote:
Old 07-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #2299
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Oh boy.

Quote:
TNA founder Jeff Jarrett was not at last night's Victory Road PPV and will not be at this week's Impact tapings. Jarrett is taking "personal time off", according to what TNA front-office employees were told late last week during a company meeting. Jarrett was scheduled to be involved in at least some backstage pre-taped segments during the PPV. TNA TV had also been building a program between Jarrett and Eric Young, so this was not a planned hiatus.

I am told that the TNA office was informed on either Thursday or Friday that Jeff would be taking the time off

In Jarrett's absence, the rest of the creative team and several agents, including Dutch Mantel, Jim Cornette, Terry Taylor and Vince Russo ran the backstage aspect of the PPV.

Jarrett's hiatus comes on the heels of an incident on Bubba the Love Sponge's radio show last week where an "anonymous TNA employee", who had their voice distorted, claimed that Jarrett was now involved with Kurt Angle's ex-wife Karen and that the two were allegedly living together.

The caller was repeating an oft-cited rumor that had been bouncing around the wrestlers for many, many months. Since it's a personal issue, we won't speculate on it, but given the cause and effect of the statement and Jarrett "taking time off", one does have to consider the timing.

TNA's Steven Godfrey declined to comment when contacted this morning at the TNA offices, saying he could not "comment on personnel issues at this time."

Jarrett's absence was a large topic of discussion among the wrestlers at last night's PPV as I believe it was the first PPV in the company's seven year history that he was not running or in attendance at.

I am told there is no timetable for Jarrett to return to his duties.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #2300
molson
General Manager

"Since it's a personal issue, we won't speculate on it, but given the cause and effect of the statement and Jarrett 'taking time off', one does have to consider the timing."

I don't think that writer knows what speculate means.

So this is kind of like the Sullivan/Woman/Benoit thing, in reverse.

Last edited by molson : 07-20-2009 at 04:27 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote