Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #2251
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Been thinking about getting a Xbox One, but after looking over the games available, I cant find more than a couple that makes getting the xbone worth it. My question.. where are all the games for this system? I dont recall a next gen system having so few to choose from, especially this far out from launch.

PS4 doesn't have that many either. It's not that rare of a situation eight months after launch.

The fall lineup has some new stuff coming. Probably good to check out that list when making your decision. There were a lot of publishers who sat out the launch window.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #2252
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
PS4 doesn't have that many either. It's not that rare of a situation eight months after launch.

The fall lineup has some new stuff coming. Probably good to check out that list when making your decision. There were a lot of publishers who sat out the launch window.

Think ill hold off to the xmas season then. Maybe im getting pickier in my older age, but it always seemed like theres a good 5 games that were a must have for a launch, but looking over all the xbone titles im very meh about them all.

Thanks for the input
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #2253
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Think ill hold off to the xmas season then. Maybe im getting pickier in my older age, but it always seemed like theres a good 5 games that were a must have for a launch, but looking over all the xbone titles im very meh about them all.

Thanks for the input

Waiting is a good idea.. I have FIFA 14, Watch Dogs and COD Ghosts and I have been playing Borderlands 2 again on the x360.

I think you'll see some top games coming starting next month and into the holiday season.

I'm ready for Madden and NHL though.. can't wait for those two! With no NCAA football title, I really hope Madden is a decent game.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:24 PM   #2254
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of Xbone, EA announces subscription service on Xbone:

EA Announces Subscription Service on Xbox One: EA Access - IGN

I'm in.. easily...

EA Announces Subscription Service on Xbox One: EA Access

$5 a month (or $30 a year) nets you unlimited access to a bunch of EA games.

by: Colin Moriarty

July 29, 2014 Today, EA revealed EA Access, an Xbox One-exclusive subscription service that grants players access to EA's so-called Vault.

Subscribing to EA Access will cost $4.99 a month (or $29.99 a year), and since the program is technically in beta, only four games will initially be available: FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, Peggle 2, and Battlefield 4, "with more titles being added soon."

Additionally, EA Access will also net subscribers 10 percent discounts on all EA digital content, which includes full games and DLC, as well as access to trials of new EA games nearly a week before they come out (with saves that copy over to the final game, should you choose to purchase it later).

Games that will be eligible for early access and save copy-over are Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, FIFA 15, NBA Live 15, and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Memberships can be purchased on Xbox Live, and will also be available at retail stores like GameStop and online destinations like Amazon.

The subscription service will launch "soon," according to EA, and will be available in North America and Europe.

We'll have more on EA Access as soon as it launches.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:31 PM   #2255
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Speaking of Xbone, EA announces subscription service on Xbone:

EA Announces Subscription Service on Xbox One: EA Access - IGN

I'm in.. easily...

EA Announces Subscription Service on Xbox One: EA Access

$5 a month (or $30 a year) nets you unlimited access to a bunch of EA games.

by: Colin Moriarty

July 29, 2014 Today, EA revealed EA Access, an Xbox One-exclusive subscription service that grants players access to EA's so-called Vault.

Subscribing to EA Access will cost $4.99 a month (or $29.99 a year), and since the program is technically in beta, only four games will initially be available: FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, Peggle 2, and Battlefield 4, "with more titles being added soon."

Additionally, EA Access will also net subscribers 10 percent discounts on all EA digital content, which includes full games and DLC, as well as access to trials of new EA games nearly a week before they come out (with saves that copy over to the final game, should you choose to purchase it later).

Games that will be eligible for early access and save copy-over are Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, FIFA 15, NBA Live 15, and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Memberships can be purchased on Xbox Live, and will also be available at retail stores like GameStop and online destinations like Amazon.

The subscription service will launch "soon," according to EA, and will be available in North America and Europe.

We'll have more on EA Access as soon as it launches.

Was disappointed to see how many titles aren't on the service being offered. I'm sure something similar will be on PS Now. If it's similar to this, I'm going to be very disappointed. Given that it's EA, I won't hold my breath.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:51 AM   #2256
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It has already been announced it will not be on the PS - it is an Xbox One Exclusive.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:09 AM   #2257
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Was disappointed to see how many titles aren't on the service being offered.

I'm the opposite, Battlefield 4 I've always wanted to play.

Early access for Madden, NHL, FIFA, Dragon Age.. and saves copy over, count me as, "please take my money".
Old 07-30-2014, 07:13 AM   #2258
TRO
College Prospect

Sony also announced that they passed on getting this for PS4 which I think is a mistake. Gives sports gamers more reason to go X1.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #2259
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Did EA ever put games on PS+?

If so then I doubt they will anymore.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #2260
TRO
College Prospect

I know Battlefield 3 was on plus.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #2261
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Bad times for Sony, looks like the turnaround for Microsoft has begun.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:57 PM   #2262
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I think it's pretty clear that Sony is telling developers that it's their way or the highway on the subscription/rental option. They make that pretty clear in the open beta announcement.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/...ourney-begins/

The problem that these console companies face when taking on a deal like the EA deal is that they risk fracturing the market to the point where people have to pay each developer to play their games. Do you really want 15-20 different developer channels/subscriptions on your console rather than an all in one deal? It's a subscription model that could be far too fragmented IMO. It's somewhat like the pay per channel vs. package argument in cable TV.

It will be interesting to see what price point Sony will hit with PS Now now that they've announced they will have a subscription model available rather than just rental deals. If they can hit a sub-$100 price point for all games for a year, it's a huge win for Sony given how many games are expected to be on the service. Anything above that isn't going to cut it.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #2263
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Doesn't pretty much everyone wish they could pay per channel instead of a giant package with 95% garbage?

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:38 PM   #2264
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Doesn't pretty much everyone wish they could pay per channel instead of a giant package with 95% garbage?

depends how much the channels charge. If theyre all $10 each then no, give me a full roster.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #2265
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

EA Access: First look

After a bit of time, when the vault catalog builds up.. seems to be a WIN-WIN to me, especially for sports game nut jobs like myself. Getting early access and 10% off pretty much pays a portion of the service if you get most of the sports games like FIFA, NHL and Madden. I'll download Battlefield 4 right off the bat.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:16 AM   #2266
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think it's pretty clear that Sony is telling developers that it's their way or the highway on the subscription/rental option. They make that pretty clear in the open beta announcement.

That would be a grave mistake.
If EA decided that Madden, FIFA, et al were going to be X1 exclusives moving forward wonder what THAT would do to console sales numbers?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:54 AM   #2267
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
If EA decided that Madden, FIFA, et al were going to be X1 exclusives moving forward wonder what THAT would do to console sales numbers?

That would be pretty ballsy. They'd have to believe that they could make enough on the rental scheme to make it worth losing access to however many million users/parents that have already purchased a PS4 and aren't willing to have a second system. I suppose Sony would probably cave if it came down to it. It just seems like that would be a crazy decision from EA.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:48 PM   #2268
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

But that's not what's happening here. EA is offering the previous year's version judging from the information released thus far. Current year copies are still going to be retail/digital purchases, likely for the first six months or so after release.

And EA is stupid, but they're not going to abandon the top console this generation, especially with sports games. They've abandoned the third place console in a generation, but never have gone exclusive with those titles.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:24 PM   #2269
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But that's not what's happening here. EA is offering the previous year's version judging from the information released thus far. Current year copies are still going to be retail/digital purchases, likely for the first six months or so after release.

And EA is stupid, but they're not going to abandon the top console this generation, especially with sports games. They've abandoned the third place console in a generation, but never have gone exclusive with those titles.

EA wouldn't abandon Sony.. they could sure as hell threaten them though. EA needs Sony just as much as Sony needs EA's game lineup.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:09 PM   #2270
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
EA wouldn't abandon Sony.. they could sure as hell threaten them though. EA needs Sony just as much as Sony needs EA's game lineup.

I'd love to see EA walk away from Sony. Would open the door wide for 2K to restart the football and hockey franchises. That would be absolutely fantastic. I play the soccer and hockey franchises, but I wouldn't miss them for a year if it meant that 2K re-entered the market.

EA has no leverage to threaten Sony at this point. They're not going to abandon the market leader at the start of a generation. In fact, most believe that they're bringing Titanfall 2 to the PS4 and X1, so it appears to be going the other way outside of this rental arrangement.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:12 PM   #2271
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd love to see EA walk away from Sony. Would open the door wide for 2K to restart the football and hockey franchises. That would be absolutely fantastic. I play the soccer and hockey franchises, but I wouldn't miss them for a year if it meant that 2K re-entered the market.

EA has no leverage to threaten Sony at this point. They're not going to abandon the market leader at the start of a generation. In fact, most believe that they're bringing Titanfall 2 to the PS4 and X1, so it appears to be going the other way outside of this rental arrangement.

I don't see 2k entering NHL or Football anymore, ever.

EA has a TON of leverage.. if they pulled their games, now this includes games like Dragon Age in addition to the sports franchises.. Sony's sales would take a plunge.

It would never happen as EA would lose a TON of sales as well, at least initially... but it's fun to think who would fold first.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:17 PM   #2272
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

I think it would take two years, at least, for 2K to bring a passable football, hockey games to market. It would be interesting to see what would happen to the PS4 if EA went to an exclusively XboxOne model this generation. Microsoft likely has the cash in the cushions of their couch in Redmond to make it happen.

I know it would put me in the market for an XboxOne. Even though I already have a PS4.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:12 PM   #2273
Terps
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO View Post
Sony also announced that they passed on getting this for PS4 which I think is a mistake. Gives sports gamers more reason to go X1.

Unless you're a baseball fan.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #2274
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
EA wouldn't abandon Sony.. they could sure as hell threaten them though.

This
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #2275
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I don't see 2k entering NHL or Football anymore, ever.

EA has a TON of leverage.. if they pulled their games, now this includes games like Dragon Age in addition to the sports franchises.. Sony's sales would take a plunge.

It would never happen as EA would lose a TON of sales as well, at least initially... but it's fun to think who would fold first.

Which is exactly why they have zero leverage.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #2276
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps View Post
Unless you're a baseball fan.

Fair enough. I love my MLB-The Show, but it doesn't sell consoles the way that Madden and FIFA do.

Last edited by TRO : 08-06-2014 at 12:26 PM.
TRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #2277
SackAttack
Head Coach

OTOH, when the Microsoft rep who engaged in a full court press to get me to buy an Xbox One instead of a PS4 saw what game I was buying, he slumped his shoulders and walked away.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #2278
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Madden doesn't move consoles. It sells when someone buys a console for the specific reasons they've been look for.

I have seen quite a bit on NeoGaf from some of the better posters that MS does feel that their bundles with FIFA in Europe have been crucial in making sure that their numbers don't tank on that continent. The X1 is still getting outsold by a 3:1 margin in Europe since launch, but they feel it would have been far worse without that bundle being available. They want to continue that going forward with the new version of FIFA.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #2279
Kodos
Resident Alien

Madden will likely move a PS4 for me this fall, if the game gets good reviews. Football games have driven every console purchase for me.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-06-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #2280
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There's a free madden bundle with XB1 that comes out at the end of the month. Still debating a next gen choic. People were swearing by The Last of Us..makes for a hard choice now that a ps4 version came out.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #2281
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Madden will likely move a PS4 for me this fall, if the game gets good reviews. Football games have driven every console purchase for me.

Football games have always driven my console purchases all the way back to the NES.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #2282
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
But guys. Madden doesn't move consoles. Geez.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #2283
sabotai
General Manager

Final Fantasy has always dictated my console purchase, but after the last few FF games...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #2284
stevew
Hall Of Famer

NFL games have driven basically all of my console choices back to the Genesis.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #2285
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Final Fantasy has always dictated my console purchase, but after the last few FF games...

This was true of me until the Playstation came out
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #2286
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
But guys. Madden doesn't move consoles. Geez.

I play other stuff, but if Madden had only been available for the Xbox One. I would've bought an Xbox One. No doubt about it.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #2287
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Xbox One console included with Madden for 399 once Madden releases.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #2288
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Xbox One console included with Madden for 399 once Madden releases.

If I had known that back in February, I would have likely held off and got the Xbox One.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #2289
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It was NCAA Football back in 2002 that drove me to by the original Xbox. And then Madden 94 or 95 before that to buy a Sega Genesis.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 08-06-2014 at 05:04 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #2290
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
It was NCAA Football back in 2002 that drove me to by the original Xbox.

I had a Dreamcast, but the NFL2K series just wasn't cutting it and I went and got an Xbox. Originally, I was going to get a PS2 but they were out of stock and I did some quick math and figured an Xbox would be better on my wallet because I wouldn't have to buy memory cards.

I fell in love with that machine.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #2291
mckerney
Coordinator

Sony is being sued over their false claims that the PS4 could run Killzone Shadowfall at 1080p.

Someone's Suing Sony Because A PS4 Game Isn't 1080p
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #2292
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I hope the plaintiff wins but I don't know about five million dollars.

I always thought advertising should be honest. Anything else can be considered fraud.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #2293
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Is there an echo in here?

"Xbox One will sell once Titanfall is out."
"Xbox One will sell once the price drops."
"Xbox One will sell once Madden comes out."
"Xbox One will sell once............."
Old 08-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #2294
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

PS3 will sell once....
Old 08-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #2295
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
PS3 will sell once....

It's so true and you're spot on with your comparison. If the Xbox One manages to pull off a win like the PS3 over the 360, it would be epic at this point. I was the only one on this forum who predicted that the PS3 would pass the 360. Are you willing to go on that same limb in regards to the PS4/X1? I don't believe we'll see a second drastic turnaround like we saw last generation.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-06-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #2296
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You are making those statements and arguing yourself. Everyone else is saying XBox One may sell Christmas, but more likely next year.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:00 PM   #2297
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
You are making those statements and arguing yourself. Everyone else is saying XBox One may sell Christmas, but more likely next year.

What's going to be the turnaround point next year that I'm missing? What game will turn Europe on its head? What game will make North America reverse course? Or will a price drop be the catalyst?
Old 08-06-2014, 11:03 PM   #2298
mckerney
Coordinator

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #2299
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I would say the price drop we already saw combined with the general availability of more games. PS4 already won the early adopters, hands down, we haven't entered the next wave of purchases yet. Either Christmas or a tipping point of games, not necessarily a single one, will bring in the next phase.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:16 PM   #2300
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

To be clear, I'm not saying Xbox will bounce back, but if it does that's when it will.