Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #2251
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That argument makes no sense. Why have government at all if a bad person can one day be in charge of a part of it?

Either she has a lot of power (which I don't think she does) or she doesn't. If she doesn't it's a lot to do about nothing. If she does than they created this monster themselves.

But in theory I actually agree with what you probably don't think I would agree with. Large unchecked government executive power is a really bad thing because of exactly what happens when a bad person/unqualified person is in charge.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #2253
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Usually I can find some people on both sides of the aisle but since her name was originally brought up I have not found a single person happy with DeVos.

does lukewarm about her count?

She may/may not be _the_ right person for the job, but she's definitely the right _sort_ of person for it.

Anyone that upsets the education cabal this much certainly gets the benefit of a doubt with me.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #2254
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Jill Stein is an idiot. Just because she's a "progressive" idiot doesn't make it okay.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 02-07-2017 at 02:23 PM.
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #2255
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
1979: Let's create an agency to help oversee federal education policy. Typical big government supporter thought... What harm can it possibly do? More government is great!

2003: Who could have foresaw a massive waste of a program like NCLB? Oh well big government still is great! At least we have homeland security and other programs that won't ever grow past their intended purposes.

2017: OMG! Homeschool your children! You mean these government programs always grow into giant bureaucracies and can sometimes fall into the wrong hands and actually have unforeseen consequences? You don't say?

NCLB was a Bush introduction, by the way, and ushered in the testing culture that's wreaked such havoc on our pre-university educational system (the effects of which I see every.fucking.day. in so many bad ways).

There's problems with the system, obviously. But DeVos will leave the system a complete smoldering ruin. Those of you teaching in public schools right now think it's bad? The corporatization of the higher education system that created a serf class of faculty and a wealthy class of administrators is coming for you. That means poverty, job insecurity, lack of support, etc. But wait, there's more! There's going to be a flight of students from public education as well - those who can afford it will go private. Those who can't, will try their damnedest to homeschool.

Oh, and control to the states? Say hello to even greater disparity in educational quality. The Mississippis, Louisianas, and the public system of Las Vegases of the world (among others) will be even worse, and you'd better fucking pray that you're lucky enough to be born in a state that still has the last vestiges of a respectable education system. If you don't and your parents can't afford private school, or lack the ability to homeschool you, you're fucked for life - you'll be born poor or working class, you'll live poor or working class, and you'll die poor or working class.

Got to hand it to Trump and Co. - they're doing an excellent job of recreating feudalism - much of the population is going to end up shackled in poverty or working poor, with little way out. A modest group of middle class, and the top dominated by the wealthy, who will control everything.

The United States is no longer a meritocracy, if ever it was one. It's a moneytocracy.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 02-07-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:45 PM   #2256
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
NCLB was a Bush introduction, by the way, and ushered in the testing culture that's wreaked such havoc on our pre-university educational system (the effects of which I see every.fucking.day. in so many bad ways).

There's problems with the system, obviously. But DeVos will leave the system a complete smoldering ruin. Those of you teaching in public schools right now think it's bad? The corporatization of the higher education system that created a serf class of faculty and a wealthy class of administrators is coming for you. That means poverty, job insecurity, lack of support, etc. But wait, there's more! There's going to be a flight of students from public education as well - those who can afford it will go private. Those who can't, will try their damnedest to homeschool.

Oh, and control to the states? Say hello to even greater disparity in educational quality. The Mississippis, Louisianas, and the public system of Las Vegases of the world (among others) will be even worse, and you'd better fucking pray that you're lucky enough to be born in a state that still has the last vestiges of a respectable education system. If you don't and your parents can't afford private school, or lack the ability to homeschool you, you're fucked for life - you'll be born poor or working class, you'll live poor or working class, and you'll die poor or working class.

Got to hand it to Trump and Co. - they're doing an excellent job of recreating feudalism - much of the population is going to end up shackled in poverty or working poor, with little way out. A modest group of middle class, and the top dominated by the wealthy, who will control everything.

The United States is no longer a meritocracy, if ever it was one. It's a moneytocracy.

This. Every single word of this.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #2257
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Jill Stein is an idiot. Just because she's a "progressive" idiot doesn't make it okay.

She's running a scam in conjunction with Putin. Everything is about siphoning off Dem voters and turning them into cash.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #2258
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

In particular rural schools will get hosed if charters/vouchers take off nationwide. I think about where I went to school in Southern Ohio, and there's no profit to be had there. There's one school for the community, a community with a serious drug and poverty problem. No charter school is going to be interested in that district, and there are thousands of those districts around the country.

What will happen is that the charter/voucher folks will siphon off money from the public system, but city public schools are still going to get their share. So rural schools get no possible benefits from charters, but do end up with less funding.

I'm ambivalent at best on charters, but even if they achieve what their supporters say they can achieve, that still leaves thousands of school districts with nothing but a funding cut and a cheap hat.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #2259
larrymcg421
Head Coach

So the GOP just silenced Elizabeth Warren on the Senate floor for reading the letter Coretta Scott King wrote in 1986 opposing Sessions' nomination to a federal judgeship.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:28 PM   #2260
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:

Welcome to the Third World educational system. Please have a seat.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:14 AM   #2261
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
So the GOP just silenced Elizabeth Warren on the Senate floor for reading the letter Coretta Scott King wrote in 1986 opposing Sessions' nomination to a federal judgeship.

and then she recorded herself reading it and posted it on facebook.

and then the letter itself was posted on facebook by someone else.

and then one of her colleague's read the letter to congress anyway.

and mitch continues to look like a bully all the time.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #2262
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Trump is telling the courts that "even a bad high school student" would reinstate his travel ban. Good to know that is what he feels is the bar to become a federal judge.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #2263
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
and mitch continues to look like a bully all the time.

Which energizes the right wing base as much as Warren energizes the left.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #2264
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yemen Withdraws Permission for U.S. Antiterror Ground Missions

Last edited by cuervo72 : 02-08-2017 at 09:49 AM.
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:00 AM   #2265
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Trump is telling the courts that "even a bad high school student" would reinstate his travel ban. Good to know that is what he feels is the bar to become a federal judge.

Replace "even" with "only" and he might be on to something.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #2266
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

My predictions:

Dems will get some seats in the mid-terms, but not enough to overcome the unfavorable map and GOP structural advantages. GOP continues to hold both houses of Congress after 2018.

Trump will morph into celebrity President in chief. Pence and a few others will take over the actual day to day running of the government. Trump will keep the fun parts of the job. And he keeps saying and doing things to stay newsworthy.

Once serious folks get a sense that Trump's finger is not hovering over the button, they relax a bit. The Women's March type protests continue, but they do not make inroads into Trump's base, and the establishment GOP continues to support Trump and push legislation.

Trump's popularity continues to hover in that 40-50% range.

The 2020 election is a toss up with a slight lean GOP based on structural advantages in the EC.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #2267
Atocep
Coordinator

I would actually be more comfortable with Trump running things than Bannon.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:47 AM   #2268
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Good to know that is what he feels is the bar to become a federal judge.

Based on things I've seen over time, I'd say he's probably expecting too much of them.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:13 PM   #2269
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Trump's popularity continues to hover in that 40-50% range.

I don't think it will stay in this range for four years. If the economy booms or there's a major external event he could jump into the fifties, but if things stay relatively quiet and status quo I'd expect him to slowly drop until he's in the thirties.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #2270
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

The economy is pretty good despite what we've been told. And I'm not sure he's going to be much help since he doesn't know whether a strong or weak dollar is good for the economy. Basic economic stuff.

Donald Trump is unsure if strong or weak US dollar is best for the economy | The Independent
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #2271
BYU 14
Coordinator

Did I miss an Islamic terror attack in Atlanta?

Or are we revising who committed the 1996 bombings? Spicer is a piece of work.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:37 PM   #2272
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The economy is pretty good despite what we've been told.

I said before the election that I think it's fairly likely that we'll be in a recession at some point over the next four years as we've had a pretty long period of expansion.

Trump also has a problem because research shows people respond less to absolute conditions and more to changes in condition. Keeping the economy as is won't sway a lot of voters. He needs to show obvious improvement, and that's tough, because you're right, things are pretty good now.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:29 PM   #2273
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Did I miss an Islamic terror attack in Atlanta?

Or are we revising who committed the 1996 bombings? Spicer is a piece of work.

Eh... Christian fundamentalist, Islamic fundamentalist, what's the difference? Oh wait...
Old 02-08-2017, 03:45 PM   #2274
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Disastrous football game...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #2275
Groundhog
Coordinator

...and now slamming a company on Twitter re: them dropping his daughter's clothing line, 21 mins into his daily intelligence briefing, causing their stock to take a hit. No conflict of interest there.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:04 PM   #2276
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
The corporatization of the higher education system that created a serf class of faculty and a wealthy class of administrators is coming for you.

If your philosophy was implemented in Dept. of Education starting tomorrow, what are the top three things that you think it should be doing at a national level?

I get the objections to Devos, though to the points others have raised I know plenty of people supporting her so I guess we just know different kinds of people. I'm not looking for 'run the other way from Devos' though. I just haven't heard much on this in recent years. What I have heard, maybe from reading the wrong places, is more funding(nobody says from where), vouchers are bad, mandatory testing is bad, etc. I'm interested in practical solutions here. How do we improve the performance of public education, from your point of view?
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #2277
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

We don't have a schools problem, we have a poverty problem. Middle class and wealthy school districts do well compared to other nations. I have no idea how to fix poverty, but that's what we need to work on. Too much education policy is about schools that are already successful.

Of course, lead remediation would help a lot of poor people academically and socially, so I'd start there.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:17 PM   #2278
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
...and now slamming a company on Twitter re: them dropping his daughter's clothing line, 21 mins into his daily intelligence briefing, causing their stock to take a hit. No conflict of interest there.

It took a hit, but bounced right back up and is back at the same level the stock was at closing, up 4%. My guess is an automated trading system got the PRESIDENT SAID BAD input and did a sell off, and then other automated systems pounced on that to drive it back up.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:31 PM   #2279
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
vouchers are bad, mandatory testing is bad, etc.

And right there is why I'm hopeful for DeVos.

If she's upsetting people who say those two things then that's a feather in her cap right off the bat.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #2280
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And right there is why I'm hopeful for DeVos.

If she's upsetting people who say those two things then that's a feather in her cap right off the bat.

So the decades of evidence showing that testing has little to no predictive ability for either college or career success is wrong?
Old 02-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #2281
Atocep
Coordinator

It goes without saying that heavy focus on testing leads to teachers teaching the test. It becomes their only option because that's what they're rated on.

Kids taught that way aren't prepared for college or the real world.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #2282
MrBug708
Head Coach

Vouchers are good for those who can afford private school
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:54 PM   #2283
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
So the decades of evidence showing that testing has little to no predictive ability for either college or career success is wrong?

It illuminates what you do/don't know about subject X. Which, you know, IS rather important ... contrary to the "I'm okay, you're okay" bullshit that swirls around it.

I'd like to see every single anti-testing advocate in the education cabal barred from ever drawing a taxpayer check again frankly.

It's not testing they hate, it's accountability.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #2284
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It goes without saying that heavy focus on testing leads to teachers teaching the test. It becomes their only option because that's what they're rated on.

If the test covers the material that the course is responsible* for then where exactly in the supposed problem with "teaching the test"?

*work with that supposition m'kay, I acknowledge that the tests are not always aligned with the course adequately. But that's a coordination issue, not a methodology issue
Old 02-08-2017, 04:58 PM   #2285
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

Ironic that the guy who campaigned on helping American businesses spends half his time trying to hurt American businesses on Twitter. Sorry no one wanted to buy your kid's shitty clothing line.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #2286
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
It illuminates what you do/don't know about subject X.

It literally does not do that at all. The typical multiple choice test is the cheapest, and least effective, means of assessment.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #2287
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
If the test covers the material that the course is responsible* for then where exactly in the supposed problem with "teaching the test"?

*work with that supposition m'kay, I acknowledge that the tests are not always aligned with the course adequately. But that's a coordination issue, not a methodology issue

I went through a language school twice that moves at a ridiculous pace (fluency expected in 1 year). The first time I went through we were taught the language but there was heavy focus on testing. We had quizzes every other day and a major test every 1-2 weeks. Fail 2 in a row and you're out of the course. Tons of pressure on the instructors because they were rated on student. performance.

Our class ended up doing below expectations and I know a couple of instructors lost their jobs.

The 2nd time I went through for a different language we had the same pace and heavy focus on testing. Most of the teaching was geared directly toward the tests we were given and the last 3 months were practice finals over and over. Nearly everything we did the last quarter was geared toward that final.

In the end our class did well and I didn't feel I learned anywhere near as much as I did with the first course. It took a 1 month follow on class to get me where I felt I needed to be.

My personal experience and speaking with teachers in this area tells me that in a perfect world heavy testing focus would be great. In reality, it leads to huge gaps in learning because it's impossible to test knowledge as widely as needed and with teacher's jobs relying on test scores they're naturally going to find the most efficient way to get their students their scores.

I understand the other options aren't perfect either, but experiencing a heavy testing curriculum myself I'd rather put the learning on myself and the teacher and not the test writera.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:13 PM   #2288
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

Tests don't show what you can do, at all. They're nothing more than a way to regurgitate information one time and then move on. There's ample evidence showing the same student can take the same test several days in a row and their scores will follow no pattern. Test scores can be affected by sleep issues, stress at home, illness that isn't even felt yet, and a myriad of other things that aren't remotely related to the subject matter the test is supposedly assessing.

The SAT and other standardized tests have been studied for decades. They have been shown, over and over again, to have no predictive ability related to college or career success. The only reason they're still in use, and are actually increasing, is because of the massive testing and test preparation industry in the US (which grossed more than both every movie in 2014 and the NFL in 2014). Most of the people who think the tests have value are either making money off of them or have never delved into the research about them.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:14 PM   #2289
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I should say that this is one issue that I totally agree with JIMGA on, though I do acknowledge it's possible I'm just not familiar enough with the counterarguments. I mean, what's the purpose of education if not to master the material(whatever subject it is?) What better way aside from testing is there to determine whether or not a student has, in fact, mastered said material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie

Honest question here: what does this decades of evidence you mention indicate does have predictive ability for success? What things can primary education reasonably achieve if actual knowledge and mastery of material is not among them? It seems your statement here leads to either of two admittedly absurd conclusions:

1. Testing can't tell us anything about what a student knows.

2. You don't need to know anything to succeed in college/career.

Which of these(or both) is reflected in the evidence you cite?

Edit:

Quote:
Tests don't show what you can do, at all. They're nothing more than a way to regurgitate information one time and then move on.

This leads me to a couple more questions.

** Is there a better way to determine and measure student knowledge?

** How is the home life/illness/stress situation anything different than what a student will face when they become an adult? Is not job performance(whatever said job is) also impacted by those things?

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 02-08-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #2290
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Jon, you are over romanticizing the education system. And I get it. I used to side with you. I have countless times credited our free public education system for opening the doors for me from a foster kid, projects reject to a successful business owner. And no doubt without the education I received Id have never made that transition.

But the abomination that is current school melt down is stupid. Its not what you and I went through, and certainly not even akin to the education your son got.

My daughter is in the 8th grade. Public school. She is smart. Very Smart. Duke TIP program etc. Never made a B on an interim or report card, can tell you off hand the number of tests or quizes she has made a B on in her life. You get the picture. Lots of us here have these kids. They are teaching the kids for the upcoming progress test. A special district teacher is going around prepping the kids. The take home sheet has an error on it. Its not debateable it is an error.
The problem is 4x=12. X = ?
Choices are 1,2,4,8
My daughter wrote in 3.
She got it wrong on her sheet and came home pissed. After reviewing I couldn't blame her. I went to the school and met with the guidance counselor who doubles as the G&T (whatever we call that today) program admin. I nearly lost my shit. While we know the answer is wrong it is a known issue with the state test. The teacher explained to the students in class that it is an error and they need to select 4 in order for it to be counted right on next weeks test. Kylie lost points on this assignment because she didnt follow direction and select 4. Even though her answer is mathematically correct, it is incorrect because of the classroom instruction.

This and similar situations are playing out daily around the country in our school system. The test is what is important not the process, not the education, not even the truth or accuracy just the test.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:19 PM   #2291
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It literally does not do that at all.

LOL. Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:22 PM   #2292
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Most of the people who think the tests have value are either making money off of them or have never delved into the research about them.

And most people who don't see the inherent value are too out of touch with reality for their opinion to have any relevance at all.

So you keep fucking that chicken, while some of us keep doing what we can to finally bring some sanity back into the education system.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #2293
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Honest question here: what does this decades of evidence you mention indicate does have predictive ability for success? What things can primary education reasonably achieve if actual knowledge and mastery of material is not among them? It seems your statement here leads to either of two admittedly absurd conclusions:

1. Testing can't tell us anything about what a student knows.

2. You don't need to know anything to succeed in college/career.

Which of these(or both) is reflected in the evidence you cite?

GPA is several times more predictive of success than SAT/ACT score.

Tests do not test actionable knowledge. They test regurgitation. The most successful education systems in the world, like Finland and Singapore, do almost no testing.

Testing does not show any mastery at all. Mastery requires putting something into action and tests, by their very nature, cannot do that (at least at a massively standardized scale). Projects, especially real world projects, show actual mastery.

There are multiple ways to assess mastery of subject matter, but standardized tests are the least effective way to determine what someone actually knows. If you want to really dig into it, some great book length treatments exist and I would suggest you start with Sir Ken Robinson's Creative Schools: The Grassroots Revolution That's Transforming Education.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #2294
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
LOL. Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

I've got an M.Ed. and will likely finish my PhD in the next 18 months. I'll take objective facts garnered from thousands of pages of reading academic studies over your opinion on anything.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #2295
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
This and similar situations are playing out daily around the country in our school system. The test is what is important not the process, not the education, not even the truth or accuracy just the test.

The error, however, is a flaw with the test (as I cited earlier).
It's not a flaw inherent to "teaching the test" as an approach.

As a known issue, the common sense solution is to invalidate the question, don't score it, move on.

If that isn't happening then THAT is something that hopefully everyone should be able to agree needs to be remedied.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #2296
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUTiger
The problem is 4x=12. X = ?
Choices are 1,2,4,8
My daughter wrote in 3.

That's definitely ridiculous, and I'd be mad too. However, I'd see the problem here as being the test itself, and the failures involved in this error not being spotted, not testing per se. Similarly, regarding the comment on multiple-choice: I agree that those aren't effective. Solution: don't use multiple-choice tests.

On the above, a simple "4x = 12. Solve for x" would seem to be a lot more useful. If these are the kinds of tests and questions that are being produced, then somewhere along the line the education beauracracy is stunningly incompetent. That's where I'd like to see the energy focused, assuming this is an accurate reflection of the situation.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:32 PM   #2297
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
GPA is several times more predictive of success than SAT/ACT score.

This statement really confuses me. Isn't GPA largely the sum of a greater number of tests? Virtually every class I was in, and from talking to people who are students now from time to time I get the impression the situation was the same, your grade was mostly the result of testing well. This sounds like more of a sample size issue than a problem with testing itself.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:34 PM   #2298
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

** How is the home life/illness/stress situation anything different than what a student will face when they become an adult? Is not job performance(whatever said job is) also impacted by those things?

Is there a job where everything hinges on one test, or one set of tests, every year that require you to do nothing but answer those test questions correctly?

This all boils down to the purpose of the educational system. If it is to prepare people for the real world, then what we have is woefully inadequate and testing is the $13 billion cherry on top. There aren't many real world situations where you are grouped together by age, told to move around to a separate instructor for a separate topic every 55 minutes or so, and then tested to see how much of that unrelated information you can remember before taking a break for 2-3 months and doing it again with all new subjects where essentially none of the previous information is covered again. The system is built incorrectly from the ground up.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #2299
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

The other flaw with 'testing' being almighty is that it doesn't grade a teachers performance fairly - if a teacher lucks out with a class full of bright, motivated kids then they'll probably do alright with mediocre teaching ... however a fantastic teacher with a set of poorer students might only get 'average' grades and not be recognized because they managed to get the best possible out of their students.

The human element in teaching is hugely important - I put down my career to some teachers in High School and Sixth Form in England who didn't give up on me despite my lack of interest and general demeanor.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:39 PM   #2300
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
This statement really confuses me. Isn't GPA largely the sum of a greater number of tests? Virtually every class I was in, and from talking to people who are students now from time to time I get the impression the situation was the same, your grade was mostly the result of testing well. This sounds like more of a sample size issue than a problem with testing itself.

Not necessarily. Good teachers assess regularly, but not necessarily with tests. Also, the percentage of the grade should be heavily weighted towards growth in the subject and production of artifacts (like presentations, reports, physical items, etc that are relevant to the subject at hand).

We could also start with idea of classes themselves. Finland is one of the elite systems in the world and they're eliminating subjects to do a more holistic approach to learning. They're moving to doing things like studying the EU in which every aspect of it, history, economy, etc, is all woven into a single, comprehensive unit.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 02-08-2017 at 05:41 PM.