Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-28-2022, 01:53 PM   #22801
BYU 14
Coordinator

It literally showed him laughing, will to his left Jada was staring holes through him. The camera panned away, she probably said something and then he choose to slap Rock.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:59 PM   #22802
Swaggs
Coordinator

Chris Rock apparently said this in 2016, when Jada said she was boycotting the Oscars due to lack of diversity: “Jada Pinkett Smith boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties – I wasn’t invited!”

Their open marriage and her public affairs have been in the news and seems like it put a strain on him (and embarrassed him). I think Rock just said the wrong thing at the wrong time and she already didn't like him due to that joke from 2016. I would have a lot more respect for Will Smith if he had apologized directly to Rock during the speech.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:20 PM   #22803
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The apology wouldn't have been blessed by wifey, so that was a no-go...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:25 PM   #22804
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Isn't the reason we got Trump in the first place because someone made a crack about him running for president during the Hollywood press thing and Obama laughed? Now that's playing the long game.

Obama was the one who made the crack.
Old 03-28-2022, 02:38 PM   #22805
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Chris Rock apparently said this in 2016, when Jada said she was boycotting the Oscars due to lack of diversity: “Jada Pinkett Smith boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties – I wasn’t invited!

I never thought about it before, but from an on-screen standpoint...yeah, she hasn't really done a whole lot, has she?
Old 03-28-2022, 02:49 PM   #22806
Edward64
Head Coach

He had every right to be pissed but slapping shouldn't have been the way.

He should have taken this as a teachable moment and said "Chris, you are an asshole taking a cheap shot like this. There is nothing funny about my wife's medical condition etc. etc.

Oh yeah, let's do a charity boxing match etc.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 02:49 PM   #22807
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's been less than 24 hours and I'm definitely already tired of this "story"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:03 PM   #22808
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I never thought about it before, but from an on-screen standpoint...yeah, she hasn't really done a whole lot, has she?

I'd say that she is a legitimate A-list actress just from her early career and affiliation with the Matrix, but she isn't sitting in the front row of the Oscars without being married to Will Smith. And hosts aren't making fun of the partners of Meryl Streep or Jessica Chasten or Denzel Washington, so in a way Rock was legitimizing her and affording her the A-list treatment.

I have just been imagining George Clooney or Leonardo DiCaprio going on stage and decking Tina Fey or Amy Poehler for making fun of them for dating younger women.
Old 03-28-2022, 03:20 PM   #22809
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I think this has to be the dumbest Twitter has been about anything, and that is saying something.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:23 PM   #22810
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

If we're ok with Oscar hosts getting punched in the face for saying things we don't like then may I recommend Ted Cruz as the host next year?
Old 03-28-2022, 03:32 PM   #22811
cuervo72
Head Coach

A-list just from a trilogy of movies (until the 2021 version) that ended in 2003? I don't know that I buy that. I guess it depends on the definition. I don't know that I see her as a headliner.
Old 03-28-2022, 03:51 PM   #22812
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Media Personality/Politician Hunger Games. Now that might have potential. I know I'd watch.

Remember those "celebrity roasts" from the '60s and '70s? I was watching the Betty White one recently, since it was rerun a lot after she died. Non-stop cringe factor. There seems to be a grand tradition requiring celebrities to sit there and laugh while a long line of people take the most personal shots they can.

The idea, I guess, is to polish up this image that stars are larger than life and are immune to normal distractions.

Maybe that's changed in our culture. You see Smith laughing it up, like everyone's supposed to laugh on cue. And then suddenly on stage like that. This all seems so artificial. Rock is almost 60 and is definitely a Dangerfield-style comic. You don't put an old guy like that up there if you don't want that kind of humor. All so puzzling. But it has a lot of people talking about an awards show that seemed on the verge of cancellation only a couple of weeks ago. So I think it worked, even if it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:56 PM   #22813
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Eh- No one is going to watch the Oscars next year to see who gets slapped.

The problem is majority of the movies nominated either suck or are so obscure no one cares about them.

People couldn't care less about Licorice Pizza or Power of the Dog. If they want ratings start including some of these movies people actually went to the theater to see. Of the top 50 grossing movies only 2 movies were nominated for best picture. West Side Story and dune. Otherwise you turn people off by coming across as better than them.

Last edited by Lathum : 03-28-2022 at 03:58 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:01 PM   #22814
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
If we're ok with Oscar hosts getting punched in the face for saying things we don't like then may I recommend Ted Cruz as the host next year?

His name was brought up in multiple group chats today
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:22 PM   #22815
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
A-list just from a trilogy of movies (until the 2021 version) that ended in 2003? I don't know that I buy that. I guess it depends on the definition. I don't know that I see her as a headliner.

She's still doing big budget movies with A-listers like Tiffany Haddish, Queen Latifah, Mila Kunis, Kristen Bell, Morgan Freeman, and Gerard Butler - I'd say they are all A-list actors. And was on a network TV show that lasted for like 4 or 5 years. She's not relegated to doing low-budget stuff for SciFi or Hallmark or anything like that, but she's not competing with Cate Blanchett or Kate Winslet for stuff that is going to get awards. To be fair, I guess how much of that is based on her acting profile versus being Mrs. Will Smith is up for debate, though.
Old 03-28-2022, 04:24 PM   #22816
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Obviously some NSFW language

Old 03-28-2022, 04:24 PM   #22817
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
You literally said freedom from consequences. What exactly were you suggesting then?

Not all consequences involve violence. I mean, I thought that would have been obvious.

Instead, you've extrapolated my approval of Smith's actions in this once instance to me approving the use of violence in any and all such situations.

Something, to be clear, I did not say.

Quote:
Sorry, but advocating assault because someone said something you didn't like is and always will be a trash take.

You read what you want to read. I'm not advocating assault because something said something you didn't like. I'm saying that sometimes an understandable response to deliberate and targeted offensive speech is physical violence and furthermore (and this was really my main point) the fact that so many people apparently think they can be deliberately offensive and not fear any retribution whatsoever has created a society where a lack of civility has become the norm.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:32 PM   #22818
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Except this sort of stuff is the norm at awards shows and has been for a long time.

We can agree to disagree that violence is never an acceptable response to words you don't like and certainly wasn't appropriate in this situation. Would you teach your kids it is ok to punch someone that said something mean about their mother?
Old 03-28-2022, 04:54 PM   #22819
GrantDawg

I'm sorry, isn't the whole "cancel culture" thing retribution for offensive speech (among other things)? It is not like Jada Pinkett-Smith is some helpless wallflower. She has a huge platform that reaches millions of people. I hear her opinions all the time whether I want to or not. She could have simply walked up to any of the thousands of microphones surrounding her at that moment and condemned what Rock said and she woukd have legions standing with her. She didn't need Will to make a immature stunt to defend her. She is more than capable of defending herself.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2022, 05:12 PM   #22820
Ksyrup

What did the cops find after they dusted Chris Rock's face?

Fresh prints.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-28-2022, 05:33 PM   #22821
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I just don't understand how people come to believe such nonsense.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:59 PM   #22822
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
She's still doing big budget movies with A-listers like Tiffany Haddish, Queen Latifah, Mila Kunis, Kristen Bell, Morgan Freeman, and Gerard Butler - I'd say they are all A-list actors. And was on a network TV show that lasted for like 4 or 5 years. She's not relegated to doing low-budget stuff for SciFi or Hallmark or anything like that, but she's not competing with Cate Blanchett or Kate Winslet for stuff that is going to get awards. To be fair, I guess how much of that is based on her acting profile versus being Mrs. Will Smith is up for debate, though.

"Doing with" and being are different though, I'd say. And I don't know if I'd put Bell in that territory either. She's a tv actress who has occasional movie roles. Or Haddish. Movies, tv, comedy, sure. But A-list? I mean, would Ray Romano or Kevin James have been considered A-list? Huge TV shows. Even some successful movies. But A-list actors? Ehhhhhhhh.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:01 PM   #22823
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
What did the cops find after they dusted Chris Rock's face?

Fresh prints.

Wwwwwwwwwoooooooowwwwwee
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:26 PM   #22824
GrantDawg

Will Smith's publicist released an apology that includes Rock, the Academy and the Williams family. He admits wrongand that good enough. There are definitely more important things going on.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2022, 06:43 PM   #22825
molson
General Manager

This whole story is an annoying but sentimental throwback to a pre-Covid, pre-Trump time when celebrity nonsense could be the most important thing in the world for a minute or two.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:44 PM   #22826
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Would you teach your kids it is ok to punch someone that said something mean about their mother?

No. A more acceptable response would be to say something witty and cutting. I've had this conversation with my 13-year-old (the insults weren't about his mother, but other pretty innocuous stuff).

However, one of my 13-year-old's friends is getting bullied at school, because he's a small and nerdy kid and easy prey for a bunch of jackasses. I told my son, who is one of the largest and strongest kids (not fat, strong) in his grade, that he should tell the other kid to knock it off, and if the other kid declines, he has my permission to stuff him into a locker.

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 03-28-2022 at 06:45 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-28-2022, 09:37 PM   #22827
21C
College Prospect

A person at my work is called Diane but everyone calls her Di.

A new secretary sent her a folder of documents with her full name (I'll say Di Smith instead of her real name) but the folder said "Die Smith".

Di was not very pleased.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:07 PM   #22828
tarcone
Coordinator

Just bought an electric bike. It is a Zugo Rhino. Goes fast and has a pretty long battery life. I live about 2 miles from my work and will be riding this to work from now on.

I am really excited.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:30 PM   #22829
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
"Doing with" and being are different though, I'd say. And I don't know if I'd put Bell in that territory either. She's a tv actress who has occasional movie roles. Or Haddish. Movies, tv, comedy, sure. But A-list? I mean, would Ray Romano or Kevin James have been considered A-list? Huge TV shows. Even some successful movies. But A-list actors? Ehhhhhhhh.

On further thought, I think you are right. I’m merging celebrities with actors and she’s not like one of like the top 100 (or however many make up the A-list) leading men or women in Hollywood.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:35 PM   #22830
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Just bought an electric bike. It is a Zugo Rhino. Goes fast and has a pretty long battery life. I live about 2 miles from my work and will be riding this to work from now on.

I am really excited.

Congrats. Don't forget your helmet.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:28 AM   #22831
Ksyrup

Imagine my surprise when I saw that Andy Dick was trending on Twitter but it wasn't because he died. Unless he's already dead...?
Old 03-29-2022, 08:24 AM   #22832
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I just don't understand how people come to believe such nonsense.
Nebraska State Sen. Bostelman (R) falsely says that school children are being encouraged to identify as cats: "If you don't know what furries are, it's when kids dress up as cats or dogs, during the school day... Schools are wanting to put litter boxes in... for kids to use." pic.twitter.com/MeQ9wiMVRw
— Heartland Signal (@HeartlandSignal) March 28, 2022

Yet people keep voting in that nonsense

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-29-2022 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-29-2022, 11:31 AM   #22833
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So I went to Little Caesars today which I have not had in years. I live within 10 minutes of probably 20 places you can get some of the best pizza in the world, but lets be honest we all have that little part of our brain that likes trash pizza and it was on my way home. My wife HATES it and she is in California for work, so I figure I'll grab a pie and crazy bread and stretch it across a couple easy meals since she isn't home.

I walk in and order and the guy tells me it will be 15 minutes. I was like, WTF dude, your whole gimmick is Hot and Ready. I needed to get home so I left. Took it as a sign.
Old 03-29-2022, 11:44 AM   #22834
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Trump hitting a hole in one reminded me of this story.

Kim Jong-Il -- North Korea dictator left behind laughable golf legacy - Page 2 - ESPN
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:48 AM   #22835
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Red face

Quote:
So I went to Little Caesars today which I have not had in years. I live within 10 minutes of probably 20 places you can get some of the best pizza in the world, but lets be honest we all have that little part of our brain that likes trash pizza and it was on my way home. My wife HATES it and she is in California for work, so I figure I'll grab a pie and crazy bread and stretch it across a couple easy meals since she isn't home.

I walk in and order and the guy tells me it will be 15 minutes. I was like, WTF dude, your whole gimmick is Hot and Ready. I needed to get home so I left. Took it as a sign.

The Batman “calzone” thing is pretty solid. I’ll only get LC if I order it ahead off the app. It’s solidly middling then.
Old 03-29-2022, 12:34 PM   #22836
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Little Caesars is go-to cheap pizza.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 12:35 PM   #22837
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I know all the Oscars talk is about the slap, but did anyone else find the In Memoriam to be really weird?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:04 PM   #22838
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Somehow was stuck watching that Secrets of Playboy thing last night and the Shannon twins from Girls Next Door definitely lost in the 10 year challenge.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:17 PM   #22839
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I know all the Oscars talk is about the slap, but did anyone else find the In Memoriam to be really weird?

We actually really enjoyed it. More of a celebration of their lives and achievements.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:24 PM   #22840
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh. Goodness. Yeah, there's a bit of a difference there.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:24 PM   #22841
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We'll be having cheeseburger pizza from a local Italian place tonight as part of a fundraiser. My son's flag football coach has an older son dealing with OI (brittle bone disease). As a result, his son spends a good chunk of time in a wheelchair. They are starting a wheelchair basketball league for him.

They have more money than I would know what to do with, but they're asking for fundraising help so we'll answer the call.
Old 03-29-2022, 04:33 PM   #22842
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I believe Trump did get a hole in one. Heck, he got plenty of practice the four years he pretended to be president.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:18 PM   #22843
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

hey jada! Do your impression of Will Smith's career!

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:45 PM   #22844
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Wife normally orders Papa Johns since they are close and deliver. Pizza is around the $15 range + delivery/tips etc.

I've kinda rebelled against that. If I pickup from Mellow Mushroom (about 2 miles away), its comparable at around $22-$24 bucks. And Mellow Mushroom is a much better pizza.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:47 PM   #22845
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Wife normally orders Papa Johns since they are close and deliver. Pizza is around the $15 range + delivery/tips etc.

I've kinda rebelled against that. If I pickup from Mellow Mushroom (about 2 miles away), its comparable at around $22-$24 bucks. And Mellow Mushroom is a much better pizza.

Come up to the Jersey Shore. Crash with me. We can hit the beach, six flags, some fun breweries, and have pizza every day better than anything you have ever had.

My treat.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:15 PM   #22846
21C
College Prospect

I'm running late to teach a class so all of the kids (14/15 yo) are standing outside my room.

I need to get my computer from my office around the corner but I decide to open up the classroom first so the students can make a headstart on getting in and organized.

I return about 90 seconds later and every student is STILL standing there. I didn't "tell" them to go in so they never thought to go inside.

I nearly lost my shit right there.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:02 AM   #22847
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

This happened to me too! My 13-year-old likes LC, so after a soccer game last fall that was a ways from home I figured we'd stop by one so he'd have something to eat on the way home. The guy said they didn't have anything ready and it would be 10 or 15 minutes. Crazy!
Old 03-30-2022, 10:07 AM   #22848
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Little Caesars is go-to cheap pizza.

Especially for a single guy. Can't beat the $5 lunch combo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The Batman “calzone” thing is pretty solid. I’ll only get LC if I order it ahead off the app. It’s solidly middling then.

I prefer the regular calzone when they had it. But ordering off the app is definitely a must when ordering Little Caesars.
Old 03-30-2022, 10:50 AM   #22849
molson
General Manager

Probably a staff shortage thing on the wait times. There's also cascading supply issues that stem for worker shortages elsewhere. Food service and retail and grocery are getting slammed and the brave souls still working there have to take the brunt of it, being overworked and having customers mad at them.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 11:29 AM   #22850
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Especially for a single guy. Can't beat the $5 lunch combo!

I prefer the regular calzone when they had it. But ordering off the app is definitely a must when ordering Little Caesars.

I lived on those things for overnight programming projects in college

SI