Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2020, 03:36 PM   #22751
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

The weird thing about the press conferences is how long they go. Don't these people have jobs to do? 3 hours in front of a camera plus the prep time and half your workday is shot.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 03:38 PM   #22752
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

edit: wrong thread

Last edited by RainMaker : 04-14-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:38 PM   #22753
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The weird thing about the press conferences is how long they go. Don't these people have jobs to do? 3 hours in front of a camera plus the prep time and half your workday is shot.

Its like carrying around a clipboard. You know it makes you look busy.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 03:39 PM   #22754
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The breathless headlines announcing the record total with that explanation buried six paragraphs deep will be fun
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:02 PM   #22755
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...d=ap_jeffstein
Old 04-14-2020, 05:47 PM   #22756
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
edit: wrong thread
Whatever it was you wrote, it can't have been as much "wrong story at the wrong place at the wrong time" as what Trump did yesterday.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:03 PM   #22757
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Trump is talking about cutting the funding to the WHO (basically using them as a scapegoat).
Old 04-14-2020, 06:15 PM   #22758
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Trump cannot fail, he can only be failed. (IE, it's never his fault)
Old 04-14-2020, 06:16 PM   #22759
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

lol

Trump said he'll authorize governors to pick when they reopen.

I hope he authorizes the sun to rise, too.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:44 PM   #22760
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Trump is talking about cutting the funding to the WHO (basically using them as a scapegoat).

Again - he accuses everyone else of things he's done.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #22761
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Is there any reason we should be funding WHO?

Look at their treatment of Taiwan. WHO is a Chinese mouthpiece nowadays.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:29 AM   #22762
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Is there any reason we should be funding WHO?

Well, if that money was now instead spend on the CDC or on anything to do with healthcare/healthcase science, maybe not. But since that seems doubtful and it is more likely he'll buy a few shiny planes with it, the question should be a different one.

Meanwhile, making sure nobody forgets who to thank in their prayers for the awesome situation they find themselves in: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...2b7_story.html
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 04-15-2020 at 04:01 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:33 AM   #22763
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

Coronavirus: US to halt funding to WHO, says Trump - BBC News

Quote:
US President Donald Trump has said he is going to halt funding to the World Health Organization (WHO) because it has "failed in its basic duty" in its response to the coronavirus outbreak.
He accused the UN agency of mismanaging and covering up the spread of the virus after it emerged in China, and said it must be held accountable

I didn’t see the full press conference: I assume that he followed it up by requesting that all funds to the White House be cut for the same reasons?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:44 AM   #22764
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

No, he cut off China from travel before others were calling for it. Just ask him, he'll tell you. That's far more important than using the bully pulpit to encourage people to take the virus seriously instead of lying about it and calling it a hoax, having any vague semblance of a plan, preparing the country in terms of resources/hospital capacity, or ensuring we are ramping up quality testing as much as possible.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:14 AM   #22765
Flasch186
Coordinator

Vince McMahon knows. To have a great BabyFace you must have a great Heel.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:23 AM   #22766
PilotMan
Head Coach

I think he needs Vince to be the next WH Press Sec. I mean it would fit with literally everything this admin has done.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:29 AM   #22767
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If you're getting a physical $1200 check from the government, it will be delayed by a few days as they change the printing process to include Trump's signature.

Seriously.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:33 AM   #22768
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
No, he cut off China from travel before others were calling for it. Just ask him, he'll tell you. That's far more important than using the bully pulpit to encourage people to take the virus seriously instead of lying about it and calling it a hoax, having any vague semblance of a plan, preparing the country in terms of resources/hospital capacity, or ensuring we are ramping up quality testing as much as possible.

"Sir, here's a list of 25 things we need to be doing to save American lives over the next three months."

"Are any of them racist?"

"No, not really."

"What's the most racist thing on the list?"

"Uh, well, I guess you could call limiting travel from China kind of racist since it would disproportionately affect nonwhite people. I mean, that's not the purpose, but it does have a pretty racially discriminatory effect."

"OK. We'll do that. And then I'll do the opposite of the other 24 things on the list."

And the crazy thing is that that was the most productive White House meeting in three years.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:35 AM   #22769
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That's what happens when you have a little neo-Nazi like Stephen Miller in the President's ear all the time.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:37 AM   #22770
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
"Sir, here's a list of 25 things we need to be doing to save American lives over the next three months."

"Are any of them racist?"

"No, not really."

"What's the most racist thing on the list?"

"Uh, well, I guess you could call limiting travel from China kind of racist since it would disproportionately affect nonwhite people. I mean, that's not the purpose, but it does have a pretty racially discriminatory effect."

"OK. We'll do that. And then I'll do the opposite of the other 24 things on the list."

And the crazy thing is that that was the most productive White House meeting in three years.

And the funny thing this is likely closer to the truth than anything that comes out of Trumps mouth on any given day, ever.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:37 AM   #22771
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That's what happens when you have a little neo-Nazi like Stephen Miller in the President's ear all the time.

SI

Who still has the most punchable face in America by the way.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:54 AM   #22772
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Who still has the most punchable face in America by the way.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:27 AM   #22773
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Joke I heard:

How can Steve Miller and Donald Trump look at each other every day and still believe in the genetic superiority of the white race?
Old 04-15-2020, 09:42 AM   #22774
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

You just can't make this shit up... it truly writes itself:

Quote:
Trump White House counselor Kellyanne Conway on Wednesday uncorked a scientifically illiterate rant about the coronavirus in which she blamed the World Health Organization for not having the situation better under control.

“This is COVID-19, not COVID-1, folks!” Conway said during an interview on “Fox & Friends.” “And so you would think the people in charge of the World Health Organization facts and figures should be on top of that right now.”

In reality, the “19” at the end of COVID-19 denotes it as a strain of the virus that was discovered in 2019, rather than marking it as the 19th overall strain of the virus.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:11 AM   #22775
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz
The breathless headlines announcing the record total with that explanation buried six paragraphs deep will be fun

I apologize for giving certain elements of the media too much credit.

US coronavirus: Highest number of deaths in a day recorded after several days of a downward trend

Doesn't mention the extra deaths added into at least New York's count yesterday anywhere, never mind burying it.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:43 PM   #22776
AlexB
Pro Starter

AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:18 PM   #22777
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I apologize for giving certain elements of the media too much credit.

US coronavirus: Highest number of deaths in a day recorded after several days of a downward trend

Doesn't mention the extra deaths added into at least New York's count yesterday anywhere, never mind burying it.

The NY additional deaths weren't part of that total. Not sure if or when they are listing it. Maybe they are backdating to the actual date of death? The high death total seems to be how we were normally tracking.

Worth pointing out that Tuesdays seem to be the worst day reporting wise because some of the weekend deaths lag in reporting.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:20 PM   #22778
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

That's true. I thought NY extras had been included, so I stand corrected.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:50 PM   #22779
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post

Missing:

- That is the biggest Iceberg
- This Iceberg is going to go away on it's own.
- People will know about this in a 100 year, just the best anyone ever hit an Ice Berg

And stealing from John Oliver:

"I want to congratulate everyone. These lifeboats have become so popular ! A few weeks ago, noting. Now they are moving like hotcakes, it's really a tribute to a well-run ship !"
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 04-15-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #22780
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ha Alex!
Old 04-15-2020, 05:37 PM   #22781
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

President total authority is threatening to adjourn congress.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #22782
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
President total authority is threatening to adjourn congress.

What exactly does that mean?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:11 PM   #22783
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Adjournment = preventing Congress from being in session/meeting for legislative business/whatever other phraseology you want to employ.

He's managed to find a new Constitutional axe to grind. He does have the authority to do it theoretically (Article II, Section 3). It's an interesting situation where everybody's wrong. It's not meant to be used so he can do recess appointments; it's for 'extraordinary occasions' and AFAIK has never been done. At the same time, Congress should vote up or down his appointees as well.

Yet another example in my mind of there being nobody large enough for this moment in history.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:11 PM   #22784
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
What exactly does that mean?

Put the "Adjournment Clause" on the list of "things I would have died not knowing ever existed but for Trump."
Old 04-15-2020, 06:12 PM   #22785
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: his tweets following up the one I linked to get into it a little more.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:14 PM   #22786
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

1st, Trump is a coward and it's always safe to assume anything is just bluster.

2nd, Trump's power, as we've seen, is whatever the GOP Senate and SCOTUS say it is.

But, assuming things work normally, the House and Senate have agreed on a date for adjournment, Jan. 3 2021. Recess isn't the same as adjournment, and SCOTUS told Obama, unanimously, that he couldn't play games and get around the Senate blocking recess appointments.

It's also really fucking rich to complain about appointments when your party runs the Senate.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:20 PM   #22787
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Adjournment = preventing Congress from being in session/meeting for legislative business/whatever other phraseology you want to employ.

He's managed to find a new Constitutional axe to grind. He does have the authority to do it theoretically (Article II, Section 3). It's an interesting situation where everybody's wrong. It's not meant to be used so he can do recess appointments; it's for 'extraordinary occasions' and AFAIK has never been done. At the same time, Congress should vote up or down his appointees as well.

Yet another example in my mind of there being nobody large enough for this moment in history.

This tantrum was over 1 particular person he nominated that both parties have express doubts about. Rather than nominate someone else Trump has held him limbo trying force a formal hearing and vote rather than act within our norms.

The fact is the vast majority of his openings are either because he hasn't nominated someone or because McConnell has put approving judges above all else for the past 3+ years.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:23 PM   #22788
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but it doesn't change the fact that Congress has a duty to advise and consent. Not to stall. Everyone deserves a hearing and vote if the President wants them to have one. I said the same thing under Obama, and Bush before him, and so on. The process isn't complicated. We've just made it so because we want to constantly play political football with appointments as a country.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:27 PM   #22789
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Dems can't stop any nominee. They are delaying as much as they can, but as Mitch has shown with judges, anybody the GOP wants to get through, gets through.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:30 PM   #22790
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/u...imes&smtyp=cur

If Trump had a brain in his head he would make sure this happens, then claim credit for it happening. Would buy him a ton of goodwill. Of course he is stupid so he won't.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:36 PM   #22791
cuervo72
Head Coach

READ: Frank Luntz Responds to Republicans Believing Trump Has More Power over States than Governors: 'C'mon, Republicans. This Is Textbook Federalism.' - Second Nexus

hahaha he thinks they care
Old 04-15-2020, 08:52 PM   #22792
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Wait , they only care about power?

Oh, well. MAGA.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:16 PM   #22793
Edward64
Head Coach

Likely originated naturally but a good tactic for Trump. Find a bogeyman to blame and China is the right target. If he can find some "evidence", there are plenty of US voters & countries that will fall behind someone leading the "blame game".

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/15/polit...lab/index.html
Quote:
US intelligence and national security officials say the United States government is looking into the possibility that the novel coronavirus originated in a Chinese laboratory rather than a market, according to multiple sources familiar with the matter who caution it is premature to draw any conclusions.

The theory is one of multiple being pursued by investigators as they attempt to determine the origin of the coronavirus that has resulted in a pandemic and killed hundreds of thousands. The US does not believe the virus was associated with bioweapons research, and officials noted that the intelligence community is also exploring a range of other theories regarding the origination of the virus, as would typically be the case for high-profile incidents, according to an intelligence source.

The theory has been pushed by supporters of the President, including some congressional Republicans, who are eager to deflect criticisms of Trump's handling of the pandemic.

An intelligence official familiar with the government analysis said a theory US intelligence officials are investigating is that the virus originated in a laboratory in Wuhan, China, and was accidentally released to the public. Other sources told CNN that US intelligence hasn't been able to corroborate the theory but is trying to discern whether someone was infected in the lab through an accident or poor handling of materials and may have then infected others.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:32 PM   #22794
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

From what I've read, the science doesn't say that it's likely it occurred naturally; it says that it's pretty much a certainty. It might be a good tactic for Trump, but I can't think of much that would do more to ensure I vote D for the first time in my life instead of going third-party again.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:37 PM   #22795
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
From what I've read, the science doesn't say that it's likely it occurred naturally; it says that it's pretty much a certainty.

Then the conspiracy will pivot towards China allowed it to spread beyond its borders with their X, Y, Z (in)actions. The blame game will help Trump politically and I don't see a lot of downside here for him (assuming he stays on message about this ... which I know is not a sure thing).
Old 04-16-2020, 03:04 AM   #22796
whomario
Pro Starter

Lol thinking the US right now has that much more credibility than China among other countries so that they will 'fall in line' and adopt the stance they manufactured it because of some flimsy 'evidence' not based in science, that's cute

People and countries are/will be critical of Chinas handling of it, but not because the US says so.

Last edited by whomario : 04-16-2020 at 03:07 AM.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:32 AM   #22797
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
People and countries are/will be critical of Chinas handling of it, but not because the US says so.

Germany and rest of EU will be critical in words only, not deeds. It's in their best interests and/or nature not to be that confrontational.

Trump has shown a willingness to engage China in words and deeds. Maybe not most EU countries, but Trump has an opportunity to turn Asia, possibly Africa, unsure about South America against China if (and it's not a given) he is willing to lead the way.

I've stated before that blaming China for this mess will help him politically. There are many countries uneasy about China's influence. Trump has been given an opportunity to exploit these fears. Will he is a different question.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-16-2020 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:34 AM   #22798
QuikSand
lolzcat

Give Tucker and company a couple days, they'll be right there with the "of course he can dissolve Congress, that's what a President has to do..." don't worry.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:12 AM   #22799
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Trump has shown a willingness to engage China in words and deeds. Maybe not most EU countries, but Trump has an opportunity to turn Asia, possibly Africa, unsure about South America against China if (and it's not a given) he is willing to lead the way.

Yes, he totally engages China and is so tough. How brave and forward thinking.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:15 AM   #22800
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Germany and rest of EU will be critical in words only, not deeds. It's in their best interests and/or nature not to be that confrontational.

I've stated before that blaming China for this mess will help him politically. There are many countries uneasy about China's influence. Trump has been given an opportunity to exploit these fears. Will he is a different question.

Except Africa is already big into the US bringing the virus to China right now. China owns a /lot/ of Africa right now because of the belt and road initiative and they've been spreading that one around there for a few weeks now.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote