Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2022, 12:46 PM   #22551
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Lots of 6 year olds ask awkward "why" questions. My wife accurately observed that ours asks random non-why questions, trying to fit in, like Drax's "I'll do you one better. Why is Gamora"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 09:08 AM   #22552
Edward64
Head Coach

Looking forward to trying out Coke (zero) Starlight.

Quote:
Coke's new flavor is out of this world.

At least, that's the idea behind Coca-Cola Starlight, a new limited-edition version of the classic soda that comes in regular and zero sugar.

After deciding to discontinue half of its portfolio a few years ago, getting rid of outdated but beloved drinks including Tab and Odwalla, the soda giant has been focusing on promoting its core product, Coke. Starlight is the first beverage from Coca-Cola Creations, a new innovation platform.

Unlike "cherry" or "vanilla," it's not immediately clear how "starlight" is supposed to taste. So Redditors who spotted images of the new product online a few months ago shared some theories about the new drink's flavor.

Some say they spotted the mysterious new product on retailer websites ahead of the official launch, slated for next week..

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-20-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 10:25 AM   #22553
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think the 1970s was the worst decade for cartoons. You have Scooby-Doo, a number of lesser Hanna-Barbera cartoons, and not much else.

The 50s were kindof rough, too, for original stuff. Some of the more popular Hanna-Barbera cartoons started in the late 50s (Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound) but were more popular in the 50s. But I think the 40s classics like Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry were still very strong.

The 60s were dominated by the Flintstones and Jetsons but some of those 50s cartoons carried over (for instance, Huckleberry Hound won it's Emmy in 1961).

The 80s had deregulation - you can sell sugar to kids - so there was the cartoon explosion. Saturday morning cartoons like the Smurfs and syndicated afternoon cartoons like Transformers, GI Joe, and He-Man/She-Ra.

The 90s saw the rise of superhero cartoons: Batman, Superman, X-Men, Spider-Man, etc. The TMNT phenomenon crosses the 80s and 90s. Cartoon Network and Toonami started, ushering in both Cartoon Cartoons (Powerpuff Girls, et al) and Toonami (DBZ and other anime imports).

The 2000s were a bit weaker. Heck, I wrote about it here a long time ago ( Best Animated Shows of the 2000s) . However, there was quantity, even if maybe the quality was lacking. And it's too soon for me to really think about the 2010s (and I didn't really consume them as much as in the past). I guess it's not fair to compare, say, the 2010s to the 1970s as there were only a handful of stations back then and not many outlets whereas now it's near infinite.

SI

Old 02-20-2022, 12:10 PM   #22554
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I saw that Coke story last week and got excited for raspberry but it sounds like a Pepsified (sweeter) Coke flavor.

I want my Orange Vanilla back. I believe it's gone, which pisses me off. I wish I could buy one of those Coke Freestyle machines. That's today's equivalent to having a Pac-Man machine in your basement in 1982.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-20-2022 at 12:10 PM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 12:21 PM   #22555
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I heard it was supposed to be s'mores flavored.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 12:31 PM   #22556
Ksyrup

In that article, the writer said he got an advance tasting and that it tasted like sweet Coke, not raspberry or smores.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-20-2022, 01:50 PM   #22557
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I find it interesting that 2/22/2022 will fall on Tuesday. Unlike the Mayans, however, I will not purchase a tuba.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:05 PM   #22558
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
In that article, the writer said he got an advance tasting and that it tasted like sweet Coke, not raspberry or smores.

Weird. I don’t know much but I’m guessing it tastes awful awful if it isn’t ice cold.
Old 02-20-2022, 03:06 PM   #22559
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Also 22K for a Coke freestyle machine and I believe the syrups are a ton. They come in these boxes that look like video tapes.
Old 02-20-2022, 03:33 PM   #22560
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I have now made chili 3 weekends in a row and have no regrets.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:37 PM   #22561
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I make various soups once a week in the crockpot. Do it in the AM and it is ready for dinner. Usually grab a specialty load of bread from Whole foods and good to go. I always make double and freeze the other half so we always have a rotating selection.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:39 PM   #22562
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I make various soups once a week in the crockpot. Do it in the AM and it is ready for dinner. Usually grab a specialty load of bread from Whole foods and good to go. I always make double and freeze the other half so we always have a rotating selection.

I need to do this. Soup and chili are perfect because you can have it as a meal or a snack. It's always there ready to go.
Old 02-20-2022, 03:43 PM   #22563
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I need to do this. Soup and chili are perfect because you can have it as a meal or a snack. It's always there ready to go.

Yeah, it really makes it easy on days the kids have activities and I am their driver.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:04 PM   #22564
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I find it interesting that 2/22/2022 will fall on Tuesday. Unlike the Mayans, however, I will not purchase a tuba.

SI

Old 02-20-2022, 06:14 PM   #22565
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Also 22K for a Coke freestyle machine and I believe the syrups are a ton. They come in these boxes that look like video tapes.

Apparently they cost enough that Arby's won't invest in them. There are some fast food places I refuse to eat at because I can't get a decent drink. Arbys and Taco Bell are at the top. They either have Pepsi products or they have Coke but nothing other than regular and old diet coke. OTOH, I'll find something to eat at Wendy's since I can get an orange vanilla coke zero.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:55 PM   #22566
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Apparently they cost enough that Arby's won't invest in them. There are some fast food places I refuse to eat at because I can't get a decent drink. Arbys and Taco Bell are at the top. They either have Pepsi products or they have Coke but nothing other than regular and old diet coke. OTOH, I'll find something to eat at Wendy's since I can get an orange vanilla coke zero.

The only reason I would consider Taco Bell for a long time was that they were the only place with Mountain Dew Baja Blast....and caramel apple empanadas.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:04 PM   #22567
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
The only reason I would consider Taco Bell for a long time was that they were the only place with Mountain Dew Baja Blast....and caramel apple empanadas.

And now the empanadas are gone (at least here) and I'm not sure that they still even have the Mtn Dew Kickstart Orange anymore
Old 02-20-2022, 09:54 PM   #22568
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 10:01 PM   #22569
Edward64
Head Coach

I've been looking for good canned chili. The ones I've tried are way too salty.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:57 AM   #22570
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's President's Day and which President is trending on Twitter? William Henry Harrison, Mr "I died in 30 days"

SI

Old 02-21-2022, 10:14 AM   #22571
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
It's President's Day and which President is trending on Twitter? William Henry Harrison, Mr "I died in 30 days"

SI

I've seen a couple pics of Trump and Melania already
Old 02-21-2022, 12:33 PM   #22572
stevew
Hall Of Famer

A good series of meals is to do a couple roasts in the instant pot. have pot roast one night and then save the other roast to make stew a few days later. Or you can use shredded beef for stuff like tacos or spaghetti sauce or Texas chili. Def agree on the multiple batches of stuff whenever is possible. I'm currently a bit low on freezer space but once I get around to getting another chest freezer I'll get back on it.
Old 02-21-2022, 12:56 PM   #22573
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And now the empanadas are gone (at least here) and I'm not sure that they still even have the Mtn Dew Kickstart Orange anymore

Does anyone else get anxiety ordering through their drive-thru? Menu changes every week. They got rid of the triple player nachos too which were a great side snack.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:10 PM   #22574
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Does anyone else get anxiety ordering through their drive-thru? Menu changes every week. They got rid of the triple player nachos too which were a great side snack.

That's how I feel buying Coke products at a convenience store. 10 different sizes with 10 different combo prices all posted unclearly at random places in the store.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 02-21-2022 at 01:10 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 01:10 PM   #22575
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I just use the app. Much easier and you can get extra discounts.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 02-21-2022 at 01:11 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 01:19 PM   #22576
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

I hate their menu layout and the fact it changes so often.

I very rarely get Taco Bell, but I did love the Chipotle Chalupas they had recently. Outside of that the Mexican Pizza was a comfort food for me and they're supposedly bringing it sometime around March or April.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 01:44 PM   #22577
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, I've been ordering on the app recently too, partly just to figure out what they actually have at any given time before pulling up.
Old 02-21-2022, 02:23 PM   #22578
stevew
Hall Of Famer

regular coke starlight takes like burnt smores and the zero just isn't good, but it's better than the regular one. They might work well as a mixer perhaps.
Old 02-21-2022, 02:47 PM   #22579
Ksyrup

I hope I can find a 20 oz bottle of the Starlight to try it instead of having to buy a full 12 pack. Not that anything is readily available in 12 pack, still.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:09 AM   #22580
Ksyrup

Well, I went to Kroger last night and of course, came across a 10 pack of Starlight minis. Couldn't find any stand alone 20 oz bottles so I bought it. Left it in the fridge overnight. I may have a 9 pack to give away tonight, we'll see.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:37 AM   #22581
Ksyrup

I think I posted in this thread complaining about e-newspaper subscriptions and not being willing to individually subscribe to all of the papers I might want to read. Well, I just saw that USA Today is allowing access to about 200 local e-newspapers with a USA Today subscription. I might do that. It doesn't get me Lexington but it does get me Louisville. And more importantly, I want to reward this model.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-22-2022 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:04 AM   #22582
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm in Ennis, TX, just south of Dallas. Waiting on parts to arrive sometime today. I've then got about 8-10 hours of wiring and testing involved before I can head home. Heading home tomorrow before ice/snow hits Dallas and St. Louis in the afternoon would be the best case scenario.

Problem is these guys will hard stop today at 5. They don't really care if I make a flight home tomorrow or not. I'll have to return tomorrow to finish what I can't get done today. The longer I'm here, the more likely I'll get caught up in the weather.

Will the parts arrive by noon? By 2? Sigh. I don't know.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:15 AM   #22583
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Holy smokes. It's here. Byeeeeee
Old 02-22-2022, 11:45 AM   #22584
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

GO GO GO!!!!!
Old 02-22-2022, 03:11 PM   #22585
Ksyrup

OK so I tried the Starlight Zero. Not the best. I don't hate it. I think my biggest issue is that whatever flavor they were going for gives it a bit of a diet Coke aftertaste and that's no bueno. That's why I won't drink diet Coke ever again.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-22-2022 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 03:18 PM   #22586
Ksyrup

Dola.

After a few more sips, I definitely get hints of graham cracker and burnt marshmallow. But it's not great. Decent for a change-up, I guess.
Old 02-22-2022, 03:37 PM   #22587
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Does anyone try those Mountain Dew flavors they come out with every week it seems?
Old 02-22-2022, 03:41 PM   #22588
Ksyrup

Not Mountain Dew guy at all. Too sweet. That's why I stay far away from Pepsi. I prefer the burn to sweet.
Old 02-22-2022, 03:43 PM   #22589
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I just got my PC back from the shop after ten days. I missed it so much.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-22-2022 at 03:44 PM.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:27 PM   #22590
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Does anyone try those Mountain Dew flavors they come out with every week it seems?

yeah, I'm game to try anything. Except Starlight again. I pulled another bottle out of the fridge to give it a second chance. Brutal.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:43 PM   #22591
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Yes, the kids and I try them from time to time. Spark and the Major Melon varieties are the best that we've tried.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 06:05 PM   #22592
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Yes, the kids and I try them from time to time. Spark and the Major Melon varieties are the best that we've tried.

Those have been my son's favorites as well.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:24 PM   #22593
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Almost all wired up. About 12 wires left...make this thing move, make sure it moves the right way and then will exit, stage right...hopefully before the weather hits.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:53 PM   #22594
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Almost all wired up. About 12 wires left...make this thing move, make sure it moves the right way and then will exit, stage right...hopefully before the weather hits.

Go man go
Old 02-23-2022, 01:52 PM   #22595
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Looks like I’m going to get out of here. Hopefully landing in STL.
Old 02-23-2022, 08:29 PM   #22596
Edward64
Head Coach

Not to be outdone by Coke Starlight, Pepsi has a new concoction. I'll have to try it just for the novelty.

Quote:
Pepsi's nitro cola also produces a foamy head when opening the can, so the company recommends a special way of drinking Nitro Pepsi: serving it without ice and not using the straw.

Nitro Pepsi, first announced in 2019, is aimed at attracting drinkers who don't like carbonated drinks.

"While soda has been a beverage of choice for so many consumers over the past century, some people still cite heavy carbonation as a barrier to enjoying an ice-cold cola," said Todd Kaplan, Pepsi's vice president of marketing, in a press release. He added that Nitro Pepsi is a "huge leap forward for the cola category and will redefine cola for years to come."
Nitro Pepsi is the latest entrant on the soda shelves as young people's interest in them have been on the decline. New campaigns and product extensions, such as alcohol, could be a way to get potential customers to pay more attention.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:22 PM   #22597
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Just what everybody was clamoring for, Pepsi but less carbonated!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 02-23-2022 at 09:30 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 07:45 AM   #22598
Ksyrup

I read that article. Interesting idea. "Draft cola." It's basically Guinness-ized Pepsi and the purpose is to appeal to people who don't drink pop because of the carbonation.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:46 AM   #22599
Ksyrup

I rarely if ever attend anything other than music shows at small venues - mostly with lightly-known and/or unassuming artists who would be glad for the publicity of having video shared on YT and the like - but I just came across a job ad for "cell phone check-in/out attendants" for a John Mulaney comedy show and I'm wondering how common this is these days.

Do most big-name artists have this kind of policy? Is it limited to comedy, stage shows, etc.? I can't imagine Taylor Swift, for instance, could do this kind of thing considering the logistics of dealing with 15K people. But for 2-3K, sure I can see it.

Just curious.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-24-2022 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-24-2022, 09:56 AM   #22600
PilotMan
Head Coach

I noticed a funny thing when watching shows with closed captioning when I only speak a little of the language (spoken not captioned; Spanish in this instance) is that sometimes I pick up things that are said but not captioned. It's funny to see how certain phrases are changed or how the meaning of what was said just doesn't come through in the caption. It's not something I've ever considered before, and you'd think it was 100% in general. In the grand scheme it really doesn't natter, but for small interactions and scenes I always figured that the caption might try and convey the true meaning more accurately. Anyway, not a life altering thought, but one of those odd things I never really thought about until it I caught it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote