Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #2201
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Getting in the field is the reward for a good season. Once you get in the field if you dont like your seed you have the opportunity to do something about it.

68 teams after today control their own destiny so its hard to blame college hoops for not allowing a fair opportunity at the end of the season.

Then I guess line up the whole country into a massive tournament, play best of 3 games for each matchup, and let the madness begin.

Football we get up in arms if a team that won a conference is behind a team that didn't. If a team that doesn't win it's own conference plays for the title, there would be outrage. In basketball, that doesn't matter?

Replace Miami's name with UNC. Who gets the #1 seed then?

Last edited by rowech : 03-17-2013 at 08:41 AM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #2202
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Yeah, Louisville is interesting.

Their defense is so rock solid and their offense clicks some games but they have them games where they cant make shots that leave them ripe for an upset. I think having the optimist known as Rick Pitino saved them last night. I think 99 percent of the coaches out there wouldnt have given them the confidence at halftime that they could win that game.

I would agree though I dont think Wisky matches up well with them. Louisville is too quick for them.

I don't care what anyone says. I think Pitino is the best coach, and motivator in the country. When he was in his first year at UK, he was the guest speaker at a banquet I was invited to attend for being a high school athlete of the week one week that year. He was an incredible speaker. I've been a big fan ever since.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #2203
hoopsguy
General Manager

Louisville's defense is terrifying. Such intense ball pressure all the time, good half court defense anchored by a big-time shot blocker in the back. They are really physical, taking advantage of the "can't call all the fouls" approach better than anyone else I've seen - and that includes watching a TON of Big Ten basketball this year. But their half-court offense seems almost disinterested, like they are using that time to get their wind back from going all-out on the other end.

I'm not sure how I'll pick them in brackets this year, although my opinion of them is less bracket-dependent than just about any other team. It will have more to do about whether I think they will sustain this level of play over another three weeks. I know that I was 100% incorrect on the UConn team a couple of years ago that ran through the Big East tournament, figuring they had peaked and would not come close to running the NCAA field. I'm much less sure about Louisville, but I guess I still have a couple of days to try and figure this out.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #2204
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Then I guess line up the whole country into a massive tournament, play best of 3 games for each matchup, and let the madness begin.

Football we get up in arms if a team that won a conference is behind a team that didn't. If a team that doesn't win it's own conference plays for the title, there would be outrage. In basketball, that doesn't matter?

Point of fact - UNC wouldn't play that kind of non-conference schedule.

College basketball is far more democratic about giving teams a chance to control their own destiny in the postseason than college football. If this was college football, Miami wouldn't have a meaningful opportunity to play in the national title game if they start the season unranked. I recognize that this is a bit of a strawman, but I'll trying to address what I think was your fundamental point of football somehow doing a better job of recognizing regular season than basketball in terms of giving opportunity for a rewarding postseason. I think that is a flawed argument.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #2205
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

A team that won the conference is behind a team that didnt? You mean division I presume? And no that doesnt bother me all that much but the bye weeks and home field are the biggest advantage in the NFL playoff system. Athough the way things have played out lately that doesnt appear to matter.

The difference between UNC and Miami is UNC plays a difficult non-conference schedule so it isnt really comparable. Miami didnt play the tough non conference schedule that the Dukes/NC do whether it was by choice or bad luck.

And being a #1 or #2 seed in the NCAA tourny is really not a huge deal. Instead of beating a #16 and #8 seed you have to beat a #15 and #7 seed. After the first two rounds with all of the upsets its a crapshoot either way at that point.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-17-2013 at 08:58 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #2206
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Miami probably has 2-3more losses if they played Dukes OOC schedule.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #2207
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Miami probably has 2-3more losses if they played Dukes OOC schedule.

and they lost to Florida Gulf Coast by 12??? LOL

How can that happen to a #1 seed?

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-17-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #2208
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Point of fact - UNC wouldn't play that kind of non-conference schedule.

College basketball is far more democratic about giving teams a chance to control their own destiny in the postseason than college football. If this was college football, Miami wouldn't have a meaningful opportunity to play in the national title game if they start the season unranked. I recognize that this is a bit of a strawman, but I'll trying to address what I think was your fundamental point of football somehow doing a better job of recognizing regular season than basketball in terms of giving opportunity for a rewarding postseason. I think that is a flawed argument.

I just don't like giving a higher seed to a team that didn't win a regular season conference title nor a conference tournament when for the most part those two teams appear to be equal. As for the injury argument, didn't Duke have Kelly this weekend? Surely, they would win the conference tournament in a walk at that point if they are really an easy #1 seed?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #2209
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I just don't like giving a higher seed to a team that didn't win a regular season conference title nor a conference tournament when for the most part those two teams appear to be equal. As for the injury argument, didn't Duke have Kelly this weekend? Surely, they would win the conference tournament in a walk at that point if they are really an easy #1 seed?

I promise I would be on your side if it were the difference of Miami not having the chance to get in the tourny and Duke did because it would make the regular season conference season meanlingless however as things are and both teams easily in I have no issues with Duke being the higher seed.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-17-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #2210
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

It is an absurd statement to say anyone wins their conference tournament in a walk in the ACC. No one is saying Miami isn't a great team, and assuming thy win today I doubt anyone has issue with them being a 1 seed, but you can't dispute Duke has a better overall resume.

If you would rather put a ton of emphasis on the last 4 days of the season I guess that is your prerogative, but I think the better way is to look at the whole body of work
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #2211
hoopsguy
General Manager

I completely understand your premise on Miami/Duke as it relates to conference play. And I think the larger questions here are:
1.) how heavily do you weigh non-conference play, which makes up maybe 35-40% of the games?
2.) how heavily do you weigh injuries as either a mitigating circumstance for regular season results or a potential detriment to post-season support?

The answer to #2 seems to vary pretty significantly with the seeding committees from season to season, but over the last decade #1 has pretty consistently been "quite a bit".

I'll hope that Miami gets a high seed and a good draw to reward their overall season. Nothing that the committee does today can take away regular season ACC champ or ACC tournament champ if they handle their business today. It has been a great season for them, almost irregardless of the next three weeks. Larranaga has done a wonderful job with that program and it has been cool to watch.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #2212
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I don't care what anyone says. I think Pitino is the best coach, and motivator in the country. When he was in his first year at UK, he was the guest speaker at a banquet I was invited to attend for being a high school athlete of the week one week that year. He was an incredible speaker. I've been a big fan ever since.

Congrats on being athlete of the week and being able to hear him speak. Ive heard the same thing about him but never actually heard him but I have read one of his books.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #2213
hoopsguy
General Manager

On an unrelated note, I think Matta has done an unbelievable job coaching this Ohio State team. They are fundamentally a really flawed offensive team, with only Thomas able to create for himself. But their level of defensive consistency over the last ten games has been really impressive.

My impression with Matta was that he was a recruiting monster, but this season suggests that his coaching chops deserve accolades as well. I never thought he was a "roll the ball out and play" coach, but I didn't think he was capable of the kind of player/team development I saw this season.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #2214
digamma
Torchbearer

I have a sneaking suspicion that this may be a year that a few teams who people thought were in end up out and vice versa, more so than in previous years. The bubble is pretty soft this year, and I have a hard time distinguishing anyone from say a 7 seed on down with any of the OUT bubble teams.

For example, the three four teams below are safely in, bubble in, bubble out and out (not in that order).

Team A
21-11
56 RPI
76 SOS
7-9 vs. RPI Top 100
12-0 vs. RPI Below 150

Team B
25-8
50 RPI
143 SOS
8-6 vs. RPI top 100
13-2 vs. RPI below 150

Team C
20-12
58 RPI
50 SOS
9-10 vs. RPI top 100
8-0 vs. RPI below 150

Team D
23-10
35 RPI
30 SOS
10-10 vs. RPI top 100
13-0 vs. RPI bottom 150
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #2215
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I just don't like giving a higher seed to a team that didn't win a regular season conference title nor a conference tournament when for the most part those two teams appear to be equal.

Looking at who Duke lost to and comparing them to who Miami lost to the two teams do not appear to be equal to me. If Miami wins today and they get a #1 seed, that's fine, but, take a look at the pomeroy ratings of the teams they lost to:

Miamis losses: #125, #20, #106. #128, #5, #94 (with a non-conference win over #10)

Duke losses: #34, #14, #55, #27, #55 (with non-conference wins over #47, #2, #6)

Again, if you want to just blindly give conference champions higher seeds, fine, I disagree, but its a fine opinion.

But when you say that the two teams appear to be equal I have a pretty big issue with that. One of these teams has very clearly done a significantly better job avoiding ugly losses, while also playing a tougher schedule and getting some incredibly good non-conference wins.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #2216
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I'm definitely out. Not participating in any NCAA stuff either this year, lack of interest as opposed to time commitment.

I am sorry. I wont have time to do this either. Wish I did.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #2217
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I guess it gets down to the process of elimination. It boggles my mind that Kansas will be a #1 seed despite that horrid three-game stretch mid-season.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #2218
tarcone
Coordinator

GO ST. LOUIS!

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #2219
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
I am sorry. I wont have time to do this either. Wish I did.

If work is light, I'll get it going tomorrow.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #2220
britrock88
Pro Starter

One snarky remark re: Miami/Duke: FGCU is looking like a 15 seed in this year's tournament; Duke has been known to lose to teams of a similar caliber, too...
Old 03-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #2221
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I have a sneaking suspicion that this may be a year that a few teams who people thought were in end up out and vice versa, more so than in previous years. The bubble is pretty soft this year, and I have a hard time distinguishing anyone from say a 7 seed on down with any of the OUT bubble teams.

For example, the three four teams below are safely in, bubble in, bubble out and out (not in that order).

RPI Top 25/50 records?
Old 03-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #2222
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
GO ST. LOUIS!

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #2223
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

Wow! VCU is storming back now. This is what Havoc is all about. Hope everyone is getting to watch this.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #2224
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Ole Miss beats Florida after down 13 at halftime. I didn't catch the first 5 minutes of the second half after watching the Gators cruise along in the first half.

Florida was down 3 with 6 seconds left, Ole Miss misses the free throw and Florida goes down the floor and gets fouled. Finally a coach gets the play right to foul the player. Florida misses the first free throw and forced to missed the second one, which gets tipped out and Boynton gets a shot off and goes in and out pretty much.

Good game.. I still kinda dislike Marshall Henderson though.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #2225
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

If the Badgers win this afternoon and the committee takes the game into consideration I hope they move the Badgers ahead of Michigan. I don't see it happening but Florida losing gives the Badgers ever so slightly increased hope to get that coveted three seed.

Bracket Matrix updated this morning:

Badgers are the last 4 seed in the rankings and Michigan is the last 3 seed. Kansas and Duke are basically pick ems for the last 1 seed. The last 1 seed will be the most interesting development tonight. It's a pretty big deal, IMO. With VCU losing, they'll be in line for a 7 seed and THAT is a matchup nobody wants to have if you're a 2-seed.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #2226
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

The TV Timeouts really need to be made every 5 minute mark rather than 4.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #2227
britrock88
Pro Starter

Catch-all response to mauchow's last couple posts:

The fouling-up-3-late decision is actually close to a coin flip. There's a KenPom article out there about it.

Henderson is grating, isn't he?

I'd like to think the Badgers could climb the ladder with a W today, too, but I think the Big Ten final is contested too late in the day to be accounted for, frankly.

Finally, just taking a stab at placements based on Bracket Matrix's order and eyeballing distances... doesn't look good for the Badgers.

Code:
louisville lexington indiana dayton gonzaga san jose duke philadelphia kansas kansas city miami lexington georgetown philadelphia new mexico salt lake city ohio state dayton michigan state auburn hills florida austin michigan auburn hills kansas state kansas city syracuse salt lake city marquette austin wisconsin san jose
Old 03-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #2228
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I read that article. However, if you saw the last five seconds you'd know it was a good foul. If he didn't reach in it was going to be a wide-open three pointer. So in this instance, 100% right play, imo. There was only 2.9 seconds left when the foul was made. So..

But yeah, grating as hell he is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Catch-all response to mauchow's last couple posts:

The fouling-up-3-late decision is actually close to a coin flip. There's a KenPom article out there about it.

Henderson is grating, isn't he?

I'd like to think the Badgers could climb the ladder with a W today, too, but I think the Big Ten final is contested too late in the day to be accounted for, frankly.

Finally, just taking a stab at placements based on Bracket Matrix's order and eyeballing distances... doesn't look good for the Badgers.

Code:
louisville lexington indiana dayton gonzaga san jose duke philadelphia kansas kansas city miami lexington georgetown philadelphia new mexico salt lake city ohio state dayton michigan state auburn hills florida austin michigan auburn hills kansas state kansas city syracuse salt lake city marquette austin wisconsin san jose
Old 03-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #2229
britrock88
Pro Starter

You do have the advantage of actually seeing the play and foul happen, so I'll give it to you. Back to the Badgers!

Last edited by britrock88 : 03-17-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #2230
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Conference tournaments are fun, I guess, but they don't carry much weight. Since college basketball can have a real national tournament, it's important that multiple teams from the same conference have realistic seeding.

Miami had a decent non-conference RPI, but not a great one. The schedule was strong enough, but losses to Florida Gulf Coast and Indiana State had a major impact.

The in-conference schedules for top conferences take a huge toll, and Miami held up as well as anyone.

Compare this to Gonzaga, which everyone agrees will get a 1 seed, and I think that illustrates why RPI has its limitations. Gonzaga doesn't get beat up in-conference. It goes 3-2 against top competition, blows out a weak Big XII team, and expectations are high.

But even though this will be Gonzaga's 16th trip to the NCAAs in the last 19 seasons, we've never seen them in the Final Four. Not once. And if I do a bracket this year, Gonzaga won't even be in my Final 8. I think if Miami played Gonzaga ten times, they'd win eight or nine. I might be wrong about that, but I don't think I am.

Gonzaga has good players. The problem is that they simply aren't tested like players from a major conference. If Gonzaga played in the ACC or the Big Ten, they might have 7-8 losses right now and a 3-seed, but they'd be more ready for the tournament.

I like that the tournament includes teams from every conference - even the bottom 15 or so that have almost no chance of reaching the Final Four. I think it's a fair selection process for the entire tournament. But I think RPI undervalues the day-in, day-out grind of a top conference and we shouldn't be talking about Gonzaga as a 1- or 2-seed.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #2231
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Bummer. Traevon tried taking over the offense by himself and the offense stalled. They just get in these funks that are hard to shake... well if he can make both these free throws to make it a 4 pt game then maybe we still come up with a miracle win
Old 03-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #2232
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Okay here's to a 4/5 seed in Miami or Gonzaga half of bracket. I'd be happy with a six too.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #2233
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
On an unrelated note, I think Matta has done an unbelievable job coaching this Ohio State team. They are fundamentally a really flawed offensive team, with only Thomas able to create for himself. But their level of defensive consistency over the last ten games has been really impressive.

My impression with Matta was that he was a recruiting monster, but this season suggests that his coaching chops deserve accolades as well. I never thought he was a "roll the ball out and play" coach, but I didn't think he was capable of the kind of player/team development I saw this season.

OSU has now won 3 of the last 4 Big Ten tourneys.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #2234
britrock88
Pro Starter

I made a spreadsheet that includes data from Bracket Matrix, KenPom, the RPI, and the BPI:

Welcome to Google Docs

Enjoy!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #2235
Butter
Coordinator

LaQuinton Ross the surprise Buckeye hero today. I'm sure one day, OSU will stop getting to the conference tourney final, but until that day it's a fun run of tourney success Matta is having.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #2236
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Pumped to avoid duke and Louisvilles bracket completely.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #2237
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

MTSU in the play-in means Tennessee's bubble is busted.

Louisville rolls through this region with relative ease.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #2238
Butter
Coordinator

Is Greg Gumbel high or drunk? Both?
Old 03-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #2239
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Michigan in at 4 with the Kansas bracket.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #2240
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'm not happy to see the Wolverines drop to a 4 and have to go through Kansas (if they get that far), but they did it to themselves. Not the same team since the Morgan injury.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #2241
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

UNLV a 5? Lunardi ain't setting the woods on fire today (he had 'em a 7)
Old 03-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #2242
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I'm not happy to see the Wolverines drop to a 4 and have to go through Kansas (if they get that far), but they did it to themselves. Not the same team since the Morgan injury.

I don't think the #1 in their bracket mattered. I don't see them beating any of the #1 seeds outside of Gonzaga.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #2243
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
UNLV a 5? Lunardi ain't setting the woods on fire today (he had 'em a 7)

He had Oregon as an #8 although them getting a #12 is a WTF moment.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #2244
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I'm pumped with Badgers getting Gonzaga as a 4/5 seed.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #2245
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
He had Oregon as an #8 although them getting a #12 is a WTF moment.

12 is better than 8.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #2246
spleen1015
Coordinator

Sorry Wisconsin.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #2247
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
I'm pumped with Badgers getting Gonzaga as a 4/5 seed.

Interesting 5/12 matchup.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #2248
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Badgers get Ole Miss. I guess I get to watch douche henderson go crazy on us.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #2249
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Parity ... another word for mediocrity
Old 03-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #2250
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

The committee wants Tubby to keep his job apparently. UCLA is toast.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 03-17-2013 at 05:38 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote