Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #2201
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
oh snap

the Phils are really bringing in Chan-ho Park?

What better? Chan Ho Park or Boston bull-pen?

Also, must be "Send Your Minor League Team to the Ballpark" day in New York.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #2202
RedKingGold
College Starter

Serious non-Met's hater question: Is Jerry Manuel going to get replaced soon? I can't see him sticking around much longer at this current pace (not that the string of injuries is his or Minaya's fault).
Old 06-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #2203
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I don't know if it was inexplicable or not, but I just watched him fire his baseball cap halfway down the dugout.

Probably just realized that Corey Patterson isn't on the team anymore.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #2204
kingfc22
Head Coach

Love the inside the park home run.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #2205
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Serious non-Met's hater question: Is Jerry Manuel going to get replaced soon? I can't see him sticking around much longer at this current pace (not that the string of injuries is his or Minaya's fault).

Nah, I don't think so. I thought he took a great approach to spring training, really focusing on defense, fundamentals (every hitter took something like 50 curveballs a day and had to take them to the opposite field), etc and it just didn't carry over. I've been pretty happy with how he's handled the pen although his early benching of Church when he was smoking hot bothered me. Even if the injuries force a collapse, he'll get the season.

That being said, I think Minaya is gone if they fail to make the playoffs, injuries or not. And a new GM would probably want to bring in his own guy. Problem is, much like Glen Sather of the NY Rangers, Minaya seems to be way too loved by ownership and isn't held accountable.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #2206
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Votto's been out for stress-related issues for a couple of weeks now - I hope he's okay. And I hope in this day and age, no one gives a flying fuck about who he wants to sleep with.

Not stress. Dizziniess related to an ear infection.

Well, if you believe the DL reports?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #2207
JS19
College Prospect

Yea, I don't see Manuel going anywhere. He can't do anything about the injuries. For the most part, I've been rather pleased with how well they have handled all of this, as they are still very much in contention, if they don't make a couple foolish mistakes they can very well be in 1st. Minaya, on the other hand, who I was once very pleased with should get the boot if they fail to reach the playoffs, again. As I said, with the Mets still in contention, this trade deadline can make or break Minaya I think. If he can pull off some magical moves to overcome these injuries, maybe he'll stick around. The Mets remind me of a team I build in FOF or OOTP, they seem to have a world of potential and you just keep them around bc you are waiting for that yr for it all come together, but it just doesn't happen.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #2208
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
That being said, I think Minaya is gone if they fail to make the playoffs, injuries or not. And a new GM would probably want to bring in his own guy. Problem is, much like Glen Sather of the NY Rangers, Minaya seems to be way too loved by ownership and isn't held accountable.

I can't blame anything this year on Omar. He wanted Manny and the Wilpon's would give him the money. He wanted Abreu and they wouldn't give him the money to match the 1 year deal for $5 mil that the Angels gave him. He wanted Lowe but couldn't match Atlanta's offer and had to settle for Oliver Perez. His hands were tied this offseason because the Wilpon's lost money in the Madoff scam.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #2209
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Thank God for the San Diego Padres.

It's really sad how bad they have become.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #2210
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Scotty Pods is having a solid year after we brought him back from the dead. Hitting .311 , /.359 obp 8 steals and 18 runs in 39 games so far. I'll take it.

White Sox trying to get the band back together lol.

Contreras looking good lately, we signed Freddy Garcia to a minor league deal, Pods back in the leadoff spot. Unfortunately we are still 4 games under .500 lol
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:05 PM   #2211
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What better? Chan Ho Park or Boston bull-pen?

Also, must be "Send Your Minor League Team to the Ballpark" day in New York.

actually the boston bull-pen has been the best pen in MLB this year, so whatever. win some and lose some.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #2212
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Probably just realized that Corey Patterson isn't on the team anymore.

He is, he just changed his name to Willy Taveraz.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #2213
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
The Mets are pathetic. Johann went 3 and gave up 9. LOL! The 4th inning has been an absolute embarrassment. And there it goes from Robbie Cano! 11-0! Sabathia, Melky, Hughes > Santana

You realize the Yanks were a horrible error away from losing 2/3 and got dominated in that joke of a ballpark yesterday by a career triple AAA pitcher, but you stay classy!
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #2214
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Weren't the Reds supposed to be a good team? They came into KC and got swept despite not having to face Meche or Greinke. Got a good chance at a 5 game winning streak thanks to Meche and Greinke pitching the next two days. Amazing that the Royals are only 5 1/2 back of first place despite a 8 game losing streak in recent days.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #2215
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Not stress. Dizziniess related to an ear infection.

Well, if you believe the DL reports?

I'm fairly certain its stress - they said Votto has asked them not to disclose the specific cause which suggests a personal issue. Either way, I hope he's okay - a great hitter, and Reds fans deserve a break or two (they are already stuck with Dusty).
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #2216
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Weren't the Reds supposed to be a good team? They came into KC and got swept despite not having to face Meche or Greinke. Got a good chance at a 5 game winning streak thanks to Meche and Greinke pitching the next two days. Amazing that the Royals are only 5 1/2 back of first place despite a 8 game losing streak in recent days.

This is what it’s like for the Royals to play themselves. There’s some talent there, you can see it. But it’s inconsistent and prone to ineptness. How they’re above .500 is beyond me. Then again, Royals fans think that with some luck, Kansas City could be a .500 ball club, too.

There were a lot of comments at RR about it being an NL vs AL thing. It's not- Kansas City caught a team at a really slumping time and was either starting to heat up (maybe) or at least get out of a funk. If you have two inconsistent clubs and one is down and one is up, it can make things look a lot more lopsided than they are.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #2217
samifan24
Pro Starter

Absolutely beautiful outing from Cliff Lee tonight. He took a no-hitter into the 8th inning and outpitched Chris Carpenter for the win. Tomorrow is a big day for the Indians because the team is sending Grady Sizemore back to have a second MRI on his elbow. A clean bill of health means things are looking up but anything else probably puts the Indians into sell mode.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:44 AM   #2218
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Absolutely beautiful outing from Cliff Lee tonight. He took a no-hitter into the 8th inning and outpitched Chris Carpenter for the win. Tomorrow is a big day for the Indians because the team is sending Grady Sizemore back to have a second MRI on his elbow. A clean bill of health means things are looking up but anything else probably puts the Indians into sell mode.

Lee is the only guy out there I wouldn't mind seeing the Phils sell the farm for.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 06-15-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #2219
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
There were a lot of comments at RR about it being an NL vs AL thing. It's not- Kansas City caught a team at a really slumping time and was either starting to heat up (maybe) or at least get out of a funk. If you have two inconsistent clubs and one is down and one is up, it can make things look a lot more lopsided than they are.

SI

The Reds pitching was slightly worse than usual, and the hitting is going through another prolonged slump. Put those together, and you get swept.

Frankly, both of these teams are setting up for a year or two from now, it is clear that neither is close to ready to contend at this time. The Reds are playing without 2 of their 3 best power threats right now, though. Encarnacion and Votto. And it shows.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #2220
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
The Reds pitching was slightly worse than usual, and the hitting is going through another prolonged slump. Put those together, and you get swept.

Frankly, both of these teams are setting up for a year or two from now, it is clear that neither is close to ready to contend at this time. The Reds are playing without 2 of their 3 best power threats right now, though. Encarnacion and Votto. And it shows.

It doesn't help when your lead off hitter is on a streak of thirty-four plate appearances without reaching base. But as Dusty says, he's the lead off hitter, so I guess he just has to get four or five ABs a night.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #2221
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
I'm fairly certain its stress - they said Votto has asked them not to disclose the specific cause which suggests a personal issue. Either way, I hope he's okay - a great hitter, and Reds fans deserve a break or two (they are already stuck with Dusty).

Then they've changed the reason since he went on the DL. The ear infection stuff is what ESPN was saying when I had to put him on the bench in a fantasy league I'm in.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #2222
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Tonight the Giants play The The Angels Angels of Anaheim (stolen from McCovey Chronicles). Memories of 2002 are stirred up, of course.

What is amazing to me is that the Giants are leading the wild card. Of course, I'll look back on this post mid-august when the giants are playing the Bryce Harper sweepstakes and laugh.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #2223
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Tonight the Giants play The The Angels Angels of Anaheim (stolen from McCovey Chronicles). Memories of 2002 are stirred up, of course.

What is amazing to me is that the Giants are leading the wild card. Of course, I'll look back on this post mid-august when the giants are playing the Bryce Harper sweepstakes and laugh.

pfft.. The Giants have no shot.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #2224
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Giants need to trade some pitching for an impact bat.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #2225
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, but who and what? Trust me, we've had this discussion a few million times.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #2226
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Giants need to trade some pitching for an impact bat.

Jeff Francouer is probably (hopefully) available.

I'm not sure that's really the sort of impact you're looking for though.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #2227
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Yeah. He needed to clarify that the Giants needed positive impact.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #2228
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Hmm...

Holliday? Hawpe is in division, so not likely. Problem is not many are out of it yet - the picture will clear in the next month.

You guys have plenty of young pitching to deal.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:18 AM   #2229
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I think it's about time to let Nick Johnson go before he gets injured. And by let go, I mean trade him for pitching.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #2230
BishopMVP
Coordinator

For those that don't know, Yorbit Torrealba had family taken hostage in Venezuela, who were all recently released.
Quote:
Torrealba said his son was treated well by the abductors, who joked with him and even made him mad when they criticized Torrealba's play with the Rockies.
"He was actually arguing with one of the guys because the guy said his dad ... he's hitting .220," Torrealba said. "Obviously now it's fine. I told my son, it probably was the truth. I was hitting .220."

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:23 AM   #2231
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

What the hell is going on here? I bother to show up in this thread to bash the Royals and their recent play. Evidently I lit a fire under their ass. Meche threw a 4 hit CG shutout and Greinke pitches tonight to try to make it 5 in a row. Add in a Detroit swoon and the Royals are only 4 1/2 games out of first place.

Attendance continues to be great over this homestand. 25K on a Tuesday night after drawing nearly 90K over the three weekend games. Two years ago, the Royals would be lucky to have drawn 10K PAID attendance on a night like that. With the ace going tonight, it'll be another good crowd.

I fully expect this post to jinx them back into a losing streak.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:26 AM   #2232
RedKingGold
College Starter

w00t 25k coming out to watch a crappy team. The Royals are sure turning it around now!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:36 AM   #2233
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Who knew the Royals players read FOFC?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:48 AM   #2234
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Who knew the Royals players read FOFC?

Old 06-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #2235
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Dear Dusty,

Putting hitters with an OBP under .300 in the #1 and #2 spots is not a good idea. Reaching base twice in ten plate appearances is not good. Please correct this. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #2236
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
w00t 25k coming out to watch a crappy team. The Royals are sure turning it around now!

Teams like the Yankees and Red Sox will love to see these numbers. The extra 10K in attendance that the Royals are pulling during the weekday dates this year are a good deal for the big market teams. Given the Royals average ticket price, that's an extra $200,000 per weekday home date in revenue in ticket sales alone. Concessions and other purchases likely double that number in revenue for the evening. Over the course of a season, that's several million dollars in additional revenue. For the big market teams, that means the Royals are increasing revenue and reducing their need for things like revenue sharing.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #2237
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Teams like the Yankees and Red Sox will love to see these numbers. The extra 10K in attendance that the Royals are pulling during the weekday dates this year are a good deal for the big market teams. Given the Royals average ticket price, that's an extra $200,000 per weekday home date in revenue in ticket sales alone. Concessions and other purchases likely double that number in revenue for the evening. Over the course of a season, that's several million dollars in additional revenue. For the big market teams, that means the Royals are increasing revenue and reducing their need for things like revenue sharing.

Think of how much money would be saved by simply contracting the team? I'm not even talking about other team owners, but simply the fine consumers of Kansas City who spend hard earned dollars to watch a shitake team.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 06-17-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #2238
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Think of how much money would be saved by simply contracting the team? I'm not even talking about other team owners, but simply the fine consumers of Kansas City who spend hard earned dollars to watch a shitake team.

Sorry. I mistakenly thought you were looking for an honest discussion.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #2239
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Royals fans would just move over to watch the NHL Penguins play across town then.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #2240
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I got a chuckle at the look of disgust on the first base coach after that GDP with the bases loaded last night. At some point the team has to move on, he's doing even worse than last season.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #2241
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The extra 10K in attendance that the Royals are pulling during the weekday dates this year are a good deal for the big market teams. .

34 home dates so far in 2009, 19 weekday & 15 weekend
351,814 for the weekday games, avg 18,517

Through the first 19 weekday games last year the Royals drew
313,618 for the weekday games, avg 16,506

Difference = 2,009 fans per weekday game

Inescapable conclusion? That this phrase
Quote:
The extra 10K in attendance

does not mean what you think it means.

edit to add: Incidentally, road attendance for the Royals YTD versus last season is down by 5,200 per game so I doubt any other teams are celebrating over an uptick that's actually being offset by lower attendance in their own ballparks.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-17-2009 at 01:19 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #2242
Logan
Head Coach

Cost of living adjustment?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #2243
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Cost of living adjustment?

New math maybe.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #2244
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I got a chuckle at the look of disgust on the first base coach after that GDP with the bases loaded last night. At some point the team has to move on, he's doing even worse than last season.

I think the worst part is his attitude. He copped it last season when they demoted him, he's had one so far this season, especially when Schaeffer was sent down, so there's really nothing that can be done. At some point, the 11 year old girls will stop buying t-shirts.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #2245
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Inescapable conclusion? That this phrase does not mean what you think it means.

I didn't say on average. I was referring to that specific game. With that said, I did extrapolate that over the course of a season, which technically isn't correct as you note.

Even with the numbers you cited, an increase of 40K fans over those dates adds an extra $800K to the coffers. You can probably double that when you add $9 parking, $7.50 beers, etc. It definitely adds up.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #2246
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

As of the fourth inning tonight Tavarez was on an 8 for 86 streak with an OBP of .281 and a SLG of .286. It's a wonder the Reds have won any games this month.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:00 PM   #2247
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Wow. The Nationals pull of a win against the Yankees. And the starter (Lannan) made it into the ninth inning.

And man are those fences short.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #2248
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

In the second least surprising baseball story of the week

The Houston Astros placed former Braves left-hander Mike Hampton on the 15-day disabled list on Wednesday with a left groin strain..
Old 06-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #2249
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bloop singles in KC again?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #2250
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Bloop singles in KC again?

He's already the best pitcher ever, but if he had any luck at all....